PDA

View Full Version : Our support anywhere north of Dundee...

Antifa Hibs
09-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Why is it so pesh?

Genuine question as for me Inverness, Aberdeen etc are the best away days (piss ups in other words).

Can't blame it on "xmas" or my personal fave "the recession" as they've always been poor.

Hermit Crab
09-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Distance time and money come to mind. Fuel costs also train fares etc. Pish football on the park doesn't help either.

Borderhibbie76
09-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Fuel and train costs, day out would cost not far off £100, thats a lot of money that a lot of us simply cannot afford!!

Keith_M
09-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Very expensive and a recent history of poor results must put people off.

CraigK
09-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Time and money for me. Can't afford to watch hibs every single week (a season ticket is expensive enough) and don't want to give up half my weekend on the football.

Baldy Foghorn
09-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Distance time and money come to mind. Fuel costs also train fares etc. Pish football on the park doesn't help either.

It's a good 12 hours all in......Not the end of the World as we know it. I love away days for the bus banter.........

Capt Mainwaring
09-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Time money and lack of expectation to win are the key factors

Hermit Crab
09-12-2012, 12:21 PM
It's a good 12 hours all in......Not the end of the World as we know it. I love away days for the bus banter.........

The banter?? You mean you Ricky Martin all the time and stinking the bus out............... ;-)

sbell1875
09-12-2012, 12:24 PM
As I attend games on my lonesome cost is the main stumbling block for me. Although the only away games I've missed are Aberdeen, Queens, Celtic & County.

I've swithered getting a supporters bus to save cost though.

Baldy Foghorn
09-12-2012, 12:24 PM
The banter?? You mean you Ricky Martin all the time and stinking the bus out............... ;-)

Aye:greengrin

hibbysam
09-12-2012, 12:53 PM
People saying costs? Get a supporters bus which costs 10-15 pounds return, ticket about 20 tops then you have maybe a couple of pints/juice and pie bovril etc at the game.. no more than you would spend at either motherwell kilmarnock or any other ground we take decent following to.

Scouse Hibee
09-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Why is it so pesh?

Genuine question as for me Inverness, Aberdeen etc are the best away days (piss ups in other words).

Can't blame it on "xmas" or my personal fave "the recession" as they've always been poor.

Have to work some weekends so always plan on being off for ST home games and some away games, funny enough when I look at the fixture list an away ICT fixture is always a weekend I rota myself to work.
:greengrin

Pretty Boy
09-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Have to work some weekends so always plan on being off for ST home games and some away games, funny enough when I look at the fixture list an away ICT fixture is always a weekend I rota myself to work.
:greengrin

Exactly the same for me.

The one time I did venture to inverness was when Mowbray was in charge, Tuesday or Wednesday night and we got pumped 3-0. Put me off for good.

Bunter
09-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Aye:greengrin
My ear started bleeding last night. :greengrin

yeezus.
09-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Why is it so pesh?

I always go to Aberdeen - mainly because I lived there for 3 years up until May and I love the place. I also managed to get to Dundee with the West of Scotland supporters club but had to work yesterday - also, getting from Stranraer to Inverness would have meant staying overnight.

Hibercelona
09-12-2012, 02:39 PM
People saying costs? Get a supporters bus which costs 10-15 pounds return, ticket about 20 tops then you have maybe a couple of pints/juice and pie bovril etc at the game.. no more than you would spend at either motherwell kilmarnock or any other ground we take decent following to.

Agreed. Some of the excuses are piss poor.

Scouse Hibee
09-12-2012, 02:43 PM

WTF! Who are you, the Hibs supporters Police? People don't need to give excuses or reasons as to why they choose not to attend certain games. For those who have chosen to give a reason it's not for you to label it as an excuse...........get over yersel. People attend or don't attend for various reasons as is their choice.

Pretty Boy
09-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Sorry shall I run my 'excuse' for not going to some games past you every week to make sure its acceptable?

yeezus.
09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
WTF! Who are you, the Hibs supporters Police? People don't need to give excuses or reasons as to why they choose not to attend certain games. For those who have chosen to give a reason it's not for you to label it as an excuse...........get over yersel. People attend or don't attend for various reasons as is their choice.

:top marksI'll need to keep his username in mind and check that my reasons for not going are okay with him.

Hibercelona
09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Sorry shall I run my 'excuse' for not going to some games past you every week to make sure its acceptable?

Everybody seems to be playing the "its just too expensive to get there" card. But as another poster pointed out, there are cheaper options available to get there.

Truth is, people just can't be bothered with the hassle.

yeezus.
09-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Everybody seems to be playing the "its just too expensive to get there" card. But as another poster pointed out, there are cheaper options available to get there.

Some people work - is that okay with you? If not, I'll quit my job and get dole money to pay for away trips to Inverness twice a season.

Hiber-nation
09-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Speaking as someone who's been accused of being an uberfan by some jokers on here, I'm happy to tell you that I've never been to see Hibs at Inverness and probably never will for reasons that have got sod all to do with you.

Hibeesforever
09-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Great hospitality in Inverness. Result wasn't but a very welcoming place for fans. Probably more to do with supporters from the Central Belt not looking North generally.
I was very surprised to hear that the Economy of Inverness is one of the fastest growing, not just in Britain but Europe!
Ridiculous that it took the SFA so long to allow professional football in the Highlands.
ICT have low crowds because of this legacy. Another five to ten years things might be very different.

mim
09-12-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm happy to tell you that I've never been to see Hibs at Inverness and probably never will for reasons that have got sod all to do with you.

Yesterday was the first time I had ever been to Inversneckie and the result won't put me off going again - good trip, good company and a 'couple' of drinks. :wink:

silverhibee
09-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Did you drive up or train/bus to watch it, costs money. Problem for some families at this time of year.

NAE NOOKIE
09-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Wouldnt worry too much about away support. Most clubs in the SPL need to be sweating about their home support if you ask me.

Saturday:

Yams v Aberdeen ..................... 14,410 ....... Edinburgh population .... 450,000
ICT v Hibs ............................... 3,422 ......... Inverness population .... 44,000
Killie v Celtic ............................ 6,501 ......... Kilmarnock population .... 44,000
Motherwell v Ross County .......... 3,739 ......... Motherwell population .... 31,000
St Mirren v St Johnstone ........... 3,702 ......... Paisley population ......... 74,000

Given the ICT v Hibs match was virtually a top of the table clash and the fact that most of the crowd at Killie was probably supporting smeltic some of the home turn outs at these games is truly pathetic.

It also has to be said that when you look at the crowds Ross County are getting in a town the size of Peebles the folk of Inverness have been a real dissappointment when it comes to supporting their club in comparison.

The population figures above dont include catchment areas for clubs EG Wishaw for Motherwell

marinello59
09-12-2012, 04:04 PM

Behave yourself. Most people here would love to be able to go along and watch Hibs every week if they could. Unfortunately real life often gets in the way and compromises have to be made.
And if I can't be bothered with the hassle I will just say that, I really couldn't care less what any judgemental über fans think about my non-attendance.

CropleyWasGod
09-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Behave yourself. Most people here would love to be able to go along and watch Hibs every week if they could. Unfortunately real life often gets in the way and compromises have to be made.
And if I can't be bothered with the hassle I will just say that, I really couldn't care less what any judgemental über fans think about my non-attendance.

OOOOhhhhhhh, get you with your accent on "uber".

Gonny tell me how you dae that, so I can be closer to uber-status? :greengrin

jonty
09-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Why is it so pesh?

For a few years I travelled from Dundee to home matches - a bare minimum of 12 hours out the house and £80+ per trip (depending on the reprobrates I met :greengrin).

I can understand why those particular away matches dont carry the greatest support. Often an overnight stay is a sensible option.

With a family now it's difficult to attend home games, let alone away games.

3pm
09-12-2012, 04:14 PM
It's too expensive! Selected away games only.

Parkhead and Fir Park this season.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-12-2012, 04:23 PM
If we have a thread about why our support doesn't turn up at grounds north of Dundee, can we also have one asking why our team don't turn up at those grounds either??

lyonhibs
09-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Wouldnt worry too much about away support. Most clubs in the SPL need to be sweating about their home support if you ask me.

Saturday:

Yams v Aberdeen ..................... 14,410 ....... Edinburgh population .... 450,000
ICT v Hibs ............................... 3,422 ......... Inverness population .... 44,000
Killie v Celtic ............................ 6,501 ......... Kilmarnock population .... 44,000
Motherwell v Ross County .......... 3,739 ......... Motherwell population .... 31,000
St Mirren v St Johnstone ........... 3,702 ......... Paisley population ......... 74,000

Given the ICT v Hibs match was virtually a top of the table clash and the fact that most of the crowd at Killie was probably supporting smeltic some of the home turn outs at these games is truly pathetic.

It also has to be said that when you look at the crowds Ross County are getting in a town the size of Peebles the folk of Inverness have been a real dissappointment when it comes to supporting their club in comparison.

The population figures above dont include catchment areas for clubs EG Wishaw for Motherwell

........the fact that a large chunk of the population may not be football fans, the large masses of people from all around Scotland that dust off their The Rangers 2012/Celtc FC jersey, the people who would like to go but work/have other commitments on any given weekend etc etc.

I'm sure I read that - per capita - football in Scotland is amongst the best supported in Europe. Of all the things necessary for a good national game, we have the fans. It's the facilities, money, competent governing bodies, decent TV deal etc that are sorely lacking.

calumhibee1
09-12-2012, 04:44 PM
I just don't want to travel for 2 and a half hours and spend 80 quid on a full tank of petrol to get there and back. I go to all the away games other than the highland ones instead. Simple as that really.

Keith_M
09-12-2012, 04:48 PM
OOOOhhhhhhh, get you with your accent on "uber".

Gonny tell me how you dae that, so I can be closer to uber-status? :greengrin

För öne thing, there's nö süch wörd as uber (ryhming with blubber), it's über (prönöünced a bit like oober). Önly the cöölest über fäns häve Germän, keyböärds thöügh.

p.s. it's än ümläüt, nöt än äccent :na na:

CropleyWasGod
09-12-2012, 05:26 PM
För öne thing, there's nö süch wörd as uber (ryhming with blubber), it's über (prönöünced a bit like oober). Önly the cöölest über fäns häve Germän, keyböärds thöügh.

I actually kent it wis an umlaut, but I couldny mind how tae spell it.... so I thought I'd play safe. And I ken how tae pronounce it, eh?

But I didny ken how tae write it.

Ah dae now, though

ü to

ü to be

ü to be

über.

:cb

Gatecrasher
09-12-2012, 06:02 PM
I' just going to be honest and say i don't fancy spending 8 hours of my weekend (there and back combined) travelling. I do enough of that during the week.

HibeeSince85
09-12-2012, 06:21 PM
I've been to Inverness once. Just happened to be last season when we broke the hoodoo. I also scooped £130 on Gaz first goal, Hibs 1-0. Great trip n good banter on the way up n back.

I work alternate weekends though and I have a season ticket so I can only make certain away games. I've only managed the opening game of the season so far this season with only Tynie pencilled in so far.

Cannae beat a good away day though.

.Sean.
09-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Inverness is probably my favourite away trip, it's the loss of others if they don't fancy it. And it's not really much dearer than a trip to say St Mirren or Motherwell, I paid £15 for my bus yesterday and a ticket was only £16 for 16-25 year olds.

scoopyboy
09-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Why is it so pesh?

Great trips no question, especially if you are a single bloke.

Years ago Aberdeen was East Lothian Hibs best trip, stop off at Brechin on way up for a couple of hours and occasionally on the way back.

However times change and so do peoples circumstances, single blokes become married with families and money and time become tighter.

You might experience it yourself some day.

Aldo
09-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Years ago Aberdeen was East Lothian Hibs best trip, stop off at Brechin on way up for a couple of hours and occasionally on the way back.

However times change and so do peoples circumstances, single blokes become married with families and money and time become tighter.

You might experience it yourself some day.

Agree re the trips to sheep land. The Independent East Coast Hibs bus was amazing the banter and the beer. We used to stop off in Stonehaven.

In fact all the away games with that bus were superb. Single mans game IMHO.

scoopyboy
09-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Agree re the trips to sheep land. The Independent East Coast Hibs bus was amazing the banter and the beer. We used to stop off in Stonehaven.

In fact all the away games with that bus were superb. Single mans game IMHO.

We used to do Stonehaven as well but the polis put a stop to that.

Amigos in Brechin thereafter.

BroxburnHibee
09-12-2012, 07:53 PM
First time I went to Aberdeen was on the Beastie Bus (those were the days :greengrin) and can remember the polis forcing us back into the boozer in Stonehaven after we had all spilled out.

Only time I can ever remember them throwing me into a pub :tee hee:

MSK
09-12-2012, 08:14 PM

You might experience it yourself some day.True, I travelled everywhere wi the Liberton bus when I was young, free & single ...marriage, mortgage & moaning minnies suck the finances dry nowadays ..

When yer single yer pockets jingle ..:agree:

brianmc
09-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Work for me pretty much seven days a week every week. If/when I can manage a couple of days off and a couple of hundred quid spare for an away fitba trip then ye can stick Aberdeen and Inverness-I'm away tae Barcelona!
It's warmer, nicer, wi prettier burds, better fitba, and there are less alcohol motivated über fans trying to dictate what everyone else should be doing.
Also, Hibs seldom get pumped

PerfectlyFranck
09-12-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm surprised some people have dignified certain posts with an answer.

givescotlandfreedom
09-12-2012, 10:21 PM

Saturday:

Is/was Scottish football not the best supported in attendances
per head in Europe?

PatHead
09-12-2012, 10:26 PM

So you are a real uber fan!

Just_Jimmy
10-12-2012, 06:48 AM
60+mile round trip for home games.

Inverness can bolt.

Brooster
10-12-2012, 06:58 AM
It's not easy for family guys to make a 12 hour, £50 plus trip to Inverness at this time of year. Maybe we should be asking why so many folk on here can't be bothered going to home games.

Lucius Apuleius
10-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Would love to go on a bus for a bit of craic. Which one goes through Bonnybridge again?

lucky
10-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Travel to away games regularly for Aberdeen away had to leave the house the back of 6 to travel to Edinburgh to get up there. Blanked Inverness away this weekend due to having other commitments. It is a good trip but better making a weekend away of it

lyonhibs
10-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Is/was Scottish football not the best supported in attendances
per head in Europe?

See post #32 :greengrin I'm sure it is as well.

Added in to the fact that the whizzkids at whatever company churns out fixtures always has teams firing up and down the country for bonkers kick-off times at this time of year when the roads and public transport are liable to be weather affected (I'm aware they're not - yet.......) as opposed to playing the teams closest to them, and it's no surprise that pre-Xmas attendances drop a bit.

Also, Inverness and Aberdeen are brass monkeys freezing at the best of times. I congratulate the hardy souls that made the trip, but - if I was at home - I'd be a "Central belt" away fan, ta very much :greengrin

Purple & Green
10-12-2012, 08:20 AM

Aberdeen was always a great away day, with the emphasis on "day" and whilst it was only twice a season it didn't make much of a dent in your calendar.

However, add in Ross County & Inverness, and you've trebled the "days", and already this season we've been to Aberdeen, Inverness and Dingwall.

When you have family, well it's not so easy just to wipe out several Saturdays in a year like that.

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2012, 08:35 AM
I think its ridiculous that anyone would travel for the best part of 12 hours, and spend 50 odd quid to watch a stupid football match.

Some people just have too much money and spare time on their hands.

hibby rae
10-12-2012, 09:15 AM

Saturday:

As a couple of others have said Scotland is proportionally the best supported league in Europe (or very near the top anyway). Of course Celtic and The Rangers push that figure up but just a glance at some of the other teams shows that the figures are high. For example, over 10% of Motherwell's population was at the game. That's pretty good going. But I do agree there is room for improvement still and a lowering of ticket prices to Bundesliga prices may be one way to do that (also a very well attended league). A Borussia Moenchengladbach standing season ticket can be bought for about 120 euros and the stadium is packed every week and the atmosphere is fantastic. Some things are a bit more expensive though, such as football tops but the club regularly keeps them for 2 seasons rather than 1.

jonty
10-12-2012, 10:01 AM
I think its ridiculous that anyone would travel for the best part of 12 hours, and spend 50 odd quid to watch a stupid football match.

:tee hee:

ZS DOOM
10-12-2012, 10:18 AM

Going fishing are we?

Bukta#8
10-12-2012, 11:58 AM
How many did we take to ICT

frazeHFC
10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Inverness has never been a great trip for me, cos i am always up there when we play so no pre-drinks, and we are usually piss poor. Motherwell is my favourite away trip, or anywhere that is via train!

yeezus.
10-12-2012, 12:39 PM
How many did we take to ICT

It didn't look like many on Sportscene - which is to be expected, given the time of year and our form against northern teams. Ross Co. (L) Aberdeen (L) Dundee (L) Dundee United (L).

frazeHFC
10-12-2012, 12:47 PM
It didn't look like many on Sportscene - which is to be expected, given the time of year and our form against northern teams. Ross Co. (L) Aberdeen (L) Dundee (L) Dundee United (L).

We've lost 6 games this season in the league, all 6 against the Northern teams, ICT, Ross County, Aberdeen (2), Dundee, Dundee Utd.

yeezus.
10-12-2012, 12:51 PM
We've lost 6 games this season in the league, all 6 against the Northern teams, ICT, Ross County, Aberdeen (2), Dundee, Dundee Utd.

:agree: There was a big debate on here yesterday about the amount of Hibs fans that did/didn't go because of our form against them. Kilmarnock away is the next away game for me.

frazeHFC
10-12-2012, 02:27 PM
:agree: There was a big debate on here yesterday about the amount of Hibs fans that did/didn't go because of our form against them. Kilmarnock away is the next away game for me.

Praying i have enough funds to get to that! The thought that the derby will be the next away game is a scary thought, love going to away games! :thumbsup:

yeezus.
10-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Praying i have enough funds to get to that! The thought that the derby will be the next away game is a scary thought, love going to away games! :thumbsup:

Same here mate - Aberdeen away is my favourite because I lived there - but Dundee was a good day out despite the result it was good sitting with 2,000 other Hibs fans.