PDA

View Full Version : 9 Dec 1972.

fat freddy
09-12-2012, 01:13 AM
40 years ago today...The day that The Turnbull Tornadoes won the League Cup.

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

Theres not a hibby of a certain vintage that cant reel off the team and this was arguably their finest moment...I salute the greatest Hibs team of my life.

Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O'Rourke Gordon Cropley Duncan.

surreyhibbie
09-12-2012, 01:20 AM

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

Theres not a hibby of a certain vintage that cant reel off the team and this was arguably their finest moment...I salute the greatest Hibs team of my life.

Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O'Rourke Gordon Cropley Duncan.

Agree 100% :agree:

Could have written the above myself

Jack Ferrigan
09-12-2012, 01:39 AM
Yes I remember it well. Headed back from Hampden got to Princes Street just in time to see Jimmy O' Rourke standing on the balcony of the North British Hotel with cup in hand. What a memory, what a day and what a weekend! Here's to them possibly the best Hibs team I've ever seen.

Lucius Apuleius
09-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Missed it. Was on a bulk carrier down the West African Coast. :boo hoo:

hibsfan7
09-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Yes that is the best hibs team that i have EVER seen

heriott
brownlie
shaedler
blackley
black
stanton
edwards
orourke
gordon
cropley
duncan

just a brilliant team
abd a superb manager

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

Mr White
09-12-2012, 07:48 AM
What a time to be a hibby, 2 of the best results in our history within 3 weeks of each other. Bit before my time but I bet those that were there have some special memories of that time and that team. Really shows how much of a legend Ned turnbull is for us, 3 league championships playing in the best ever hibs team and won the clubs first cup final in 70 years while managing the next best team we've had.

IWasThere2016
09-12-2012, 08:00 AM
We will never have a team as good as that again. Nor a player of the calibre of Pat Stanton. Magical times. Glory Glory!

Forza Fred
09-12-2012, 08:37 AM
When I saw the original poster's name I had to do a double take and pinch myself to make sure it wasn''t me.

However this is one game I can't claim to have been at as I was playing that day in an important East of Scotland Cup tie at St Mark's Park.

I scored a hat trick and actually got news of the result from a Celtic supporter at the top of Easetr Road as I made my way home.

I remember throwing my fitba boots about 20 feet in the air.

Fabulous time to be a HIbs supporter, and it is probably not understood by the current generation just how good we were then..

PeeJay
09-12-2012, 08:53 AM

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

:top marks

... an amazing day for all of us who were there indeed, but as we also all know just looking at that line up: we should have achieved so much more

johncrobertson@
09-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Best football I have ever seen! Came back from Africa for my Brothers wedding and witnessed this amazing Hibs team at their very best.

Missed them beating Falkirk at Easter Road - although we were kept up to date in the church.

Following week they beat Celtic in the LCF

Week after I was at Easter Road to see them beat Ayr Untied 8-1 - The Ayr goalkeeper who was David Stewart ( later of Leeds and Scotland) was in the newspapers team of the day.

Following week I went with my brother to Darkheid to witness a 1-1 draw

Next it was a great game against Aberdeen 3-2 at Easter Road - Alan Gordon's flying header will always live in my memory

And then finally 2 days before I return to Africa - 0-7 against the Yams - I was at the school end with my Mates Dad who was a Yam, and predicted after 10 minutes that Hibs were going to have a record win.

Thanks for the special memories, of a very special team, with every one a Scot!

Golden Bear
09-12-2012, 09:27 AM

heriott
brownlie
shaedler
blackley
black
stanton
edwards
orourke
gordon
cropley
duncan

just a brilliant team
abd a superb manager

:thumbsup:

I concur. Flair and entertainment, goals galore and a never say die attitude. The class of 72 were by far and away the best Hibs team I've ever seen and ever likely to see.

HiBremian
09-12-2012, 11:03 AM

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

Yep, I was there too, down in the main stand's enclosure. What I remember most was the incredible feeling when the whole of Hampden was shouting "Hibernian....Hibernian....Hibernian" between the first and second goals. It felt like we were floating on clouds. Though it could have had something to do with the :smokin :greengrin

cad
09-12-2012, 11:15 AM

heriott
brownlie
shaedler
blackley
black
stanton
edwards
orourke
gordon
cropley
duncan

just a brilliant team
abd a superb manager

Halcyon days my friend never to see their likes again ,pure football .

Bobo
09-12-2012, 11:24 AM
During my time attending Easter Road there's been periods since the 70's where I've witnessed good entertaining Hibs sides but none that have matched the collective Greatness of the Tornadoes, it's truely a privelage to have been able to see them play.

40 years may have passed since the cup final, 0-7 and some fabulous european nights but these matches and the Tornadoes will live in the forefront of my memory for ever - Happy Anniversary lads.

Erich Shaedler, Alan Gordon & Eddie Turnbull RIP, sadly missed but never forgotten.

:flag:

Leithenhibby
09-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Yeah, now you are talking. Remember every kick of the ball that day (almost) What is so clear in my mind is coming up the steps from the train station on our return to see the team heading into the North British Hotel...... :aok:

The ticket stub from the old north stand and the pull-out poster from the EEN is still very much a part of my life :not worth

orourke
09-12-2012, 11:40 AM
What a day!! , it was my 11th birthday. Could not have asked for a better present

Mr White
09-12-2012, 11:43 AM
You got a decent Christmas present too, albeit a week late!

YehButNoBut
09-12-2012, 12:35 PM
This was the Hibs team when I first started to watch Hibs and did not realise at the time how lucky I was, they would stroll this current SPL.

The only downside to that great team was that the League Cup win was their only success (barring the Dryburgh Cup), they came close in the league and never did anything in the SC of note (another disastrous final), although there was a very good Celtic team around at the time.

CentreLine
09-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Was gutted to miss the final because I had to represent the school in the "Evening News Penalty Prize Competition" at Tynecastle that day. They were playing Kilmarnock on a very miserable wintery afternoon and I got pelted with coins because I was wearing my Hibs strip. Had to endure 45 minutes of a terrible game in sleat and snow and was most unimpressed with the changing rooms and facilities under the stand. I guess they are still the same today.

Anyway, we got changed after half time and left to go home but priority was to find out the score from Hampden. In those days the best way was to find a TV shop and look in the window. For me it was Patrick Thomsons on North Bridge and I watched as the scores came in. I was able to get home, dump my gear and be back in town in time for the team bus arriving at the North British.

I always felt a bit cheated that I could no go to the final but I certainly was there at the Ayr Utd game the following weekend and was right at the tunnel at Tynecastle to enjoy the 0-7 on my 14th birthday.

Great days with a great team and fantastic football. The European nights were especially good and at a time when the game was not completely and corruptly biased towards two teams from Glasgow. Although there was certainly a bit of that which I am convinced accounted for the incredibly long bans meated out to Pat Stanton and Alex Edwards, having already lost John Brownlie to injury, at a crutial period of the season.

We will never see their like again in one team.

iwasthere1972
09-12-2012, 02:07 PM

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

Great day. Thought it would be like this all the time.

Tom Hart RIP
09-12-2012, 02:07 PM
John Brownlie hurt his ankle in training and Eddie Turnbull kept it quiet. He needed a pain killing injection and Jock Stein found out and moved Jinky Johnstone to the left wing. Jinky never got a kick of the ball and was subbed in the second half.
Best Hibs team I ever saw. That year they had already beaten Sporting Lisbon who were a top team 6-1
It all went wrong against East Fife on week after 7-0 game. There was nearly 18,000 at ER and apart from John Brownlie breaking a leg, Alex Edwards was continually fouled. Eventually he threw the ball away in frustration and was booked. He got 56 day suspension and we never recovered.

sparkiedelpaco7
09-12-2012, 02:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaY75jHC-4

Stanton1972
09-12-2012, 02:54 PM
"40 years ago today...The day that The Turnbull Tornadoes won the League Cup.

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O'Rourke Gordon Cropley Duncan."

Just makes me smile at the memory :not worth

iwasthere1972
09-12-2012, 02:54 PM
5 minutes to kick off. :greengrin

The Harp
09-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Yes I remember it well. Headed back from Hampden got to Princes Street just in time to see Jimmy O' Rourke standing on the balcony of the North British Hotel with cup in hand. What a memory, what a day and what a weekend! Here's to them possibly the best Hibs team I've ever seen.

Sums it up for me too. I'll never forget wee Jimmy clambering on to the parapet of the NB balcony and holding the cup aloft. Even today when I pass the Balmoral my mind travels back to that night and the scenes of celebration at the east end.
One positive of us not regularly winning trophies I suppose, is that when we do manage it, it probably means more to us.:not worth

kaimendhibs
09-12-2012, 03:33 PM

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

Agree 100%. I feel priveliged to have watched this team. Best hibs team i will ever see:not worth

brog
09-12-2012, 03:53 PM
That last 10 mins or so after Dalglish scored lasted about an hour. It sounds incredible but we've been comparatively spoiled since then with 2 more LC wins. That was our 1st win in a national final for 70 years. What a day, what a night!

One Day
09-12-2012, 04:07 PM
The Cetic fans wern't to happy

Argylehibby
09-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Was at the game with my Celtic supporting uncle and cousin. great day and on the journey back I was the only one who seemed to want to talk!

tbfhibs
09-12-2012, 08:19 PM
I was at the Reeds Christmas party for kids opposite the Maybury when we won. Remember seeing the open top bus ready for the players and that's pretty much that.
I would've been six at the time. Those parties where brilliant, loads of sweets, cake and a brilliant pressie at the end.

H113EE5
10-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Missed it as I was getting married. Now celebrating our ruby anniversary. What a day:hibees:agree::thumbsup::top marks

Jack
10-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Who didn't have one of these?

Nobody! :greengrin

Golden Bear
10-12-2012, 09:08 AM

Carefully preserved up in my attic.

Every now and again I sneak a wee look just to remind myself that it really happened.

:greengrin

bodoglimt
10-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Agree that the names of that team just rolled off the tongue.

Was to young to be there for the final but loved being at the the 30 year anniversary dinner at Easter Road.

Although 35 years old that night I felt I was 6 years old again being in the same room as all my heroes

Ooh to have that team again :flag:

Glory,Glory

heretoday
10-12-2012, 04:37 PM
It really was a blast being a Hibs fan in those days. Who'd have thought the years since would contain so much dross and agony?

I reckon they were the best team in Britain for a while.

Golden Bear
10-12-2012, 04:44 PM
When will we see their likes again?

NEVER is the answer I'm afraid.

:flag:

Bostonhibby
10-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Fantastic day beginning to end, was only 12 and a few weeks later was at Tiny as well, there is no doubt they were the best Hibs team of my generation. I still have my lucky hat, bought especially for that game!

Managed to get my hands on an original photo of Pat Stanton & Eddie Turnbull making their way through a massive crowd with the cup but I can't work out if it was the Hotel or ER - the night was a bit of a blur and the crowds were unbelievable. Will try and post it later.

Bostonhibby
10-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Here's a photo, not sure if it was outside ER or the North British Hotel

fat freddy
10-12-2012, 08:13 PM

The Hibs shop could have done a turn if they'd printed up a few thousand of those for the anniversary...a nice wee stocking filler for xmas

superfurryhibby
10-12-2012, 08:27 PM
The Hibs shop could have done a turn if they'd printed up a few thousand of those for the anniversary...a nice wee stocking filler for xmas

Agreed. I said on a thread a while back that there is a large retro market and highlighted that very poster as an example of Hibs stuff that would be in demand if they reproduced it. Shame we donīt seem to be able to tap into the nostalgia market a bit more than retro tops.

The Tornadoes were awesome. Shame we were up against a Celtic side that were still able to make the latter stages of the European Cup. Itīs all in the timing and as luck would have it both Celtic and Rangers were also pretty strong during the early to mid 70's. That League Cup final was some compensation for the Scottish Cup debacle earlier that year.

fat freddy
10-12-2012, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=superfurryhibby;3442975]Agreed. I said on a thread a while back that there is a large retro market and highlighted that very poster as an example of Hibs stuff that would be in demand if they reproduced it. Shame we donīt seem to be able to tap into the nostalgia market a bit more than retro tops.

The Tornadoes were awesome. Shame we were up against a Celtic side that were still able to make the latter stages of the European Cup. Itīs all in the timing and as luck would have it both Celtic and Rangers were also pretty strong during the early to mid 70's. That League Cup final was some compensation for the Scottish Cup debacle earlier that year.[/QUOTE

The club could be making a fortune with a bit of imagination...i would like to see more retro gear in the shop and we should be taking advantage of our history to do it.

The shop could be stocking Famous Five and Turnbull's Tornadoes tracksuits and kit....the old purple Buckta trackie top would definately sell...old retro pennants, badges, rosettes, patches, hats and scarves...reproduced programmes of the big european matches would also sell as would a big framed picture of Bertie Auld with a cigar in his mouth watching another draw...well i'd buy it.

heretoday
10-12-2012, 10:27 PM

The Hibs Shop is not a hotbed of business acumen and flair. The motherlode of key rings, golf accessories and wallets.........even cufflinks for heavens sake!

MoscowHibs
11-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Agreed. I said on a thread a while back that there is a large retro market and highlighted that very poster as an example of Hibs stuff that would be in demand if they reproduced it. Shame we donīt seem to be able to tap into the nostalgia market a bit more than retro tops.

Spot on.I don't know why the shop doesn't work oot a deal with the likes of Toffs and get some of their tops in in bulk at a reduced price, punt them for a wee profit.I bought these:
http://www.toffs.com/images/2416fullimage.jpghttp://www.toffs.com/images/2092fullimage.jpg
Smart as. Bukta one brings back memories of wee Isak running aboot daft wi the socks at the ankles.

lapsedhibee
11-12-2012, 11:39 AM
We were very very good in those days but I would add that Mowbray's team at times played football just as good, and sometimes better. There was a lot of long-ball fitba back then. Jim Herriot all in black would run up to the edge of the 18-yard box, step about a yard outside, then punt the ball for all he was worth up to Alan Gordon's head deep in the opposition's half. I remember lots of clever triangles and give-and-go involving Brownlie/O'Rourke/Edwards up the right, but in general I don't think we built from the back starting with goalie roll-outs, or had that much of a short-passing game. Modern-day Barca we weren't! (Or at least if we were, I can't remember any more :boo hoo:)

Cropley was way better than Messi however. Far superior tackler.

brog
11-12-2012, 04:53 PM
We were very very good in those days but I would add that Mowbray's team at times played football just as good, and sometimes better. There was a lot of long-ball fitba back then. Jim Herriot all in black would run up to the edge of the 18-yard box, step about a yard outside, then punt the ball for all he was worth up to Alan Gordon's head deep in the opposition's half. I remember lots of clever triangles and give-and-go involving Brownlie/O'Rourke/Edwards up the right, but in general I don't think we built from the back starting with goalie roll-outs, or had that much of a short-passing game. Modern-day Barca we weren't! (Or at least if we were, I can't remember any more :boo hoo:)

You may be right but I remember one game at Firhill, when Partick had about same status as Well do now, when we did exactly that. We passed the ball about amongst the back 4 & Herriot until Jags got frustrated & rushed in on Jim H. We then basically used the man advantage & 6 passes later the ball was in the back of Jags net. It was like watching a tactics board ( or Barcelona now ) but of course the passing & finishing had to be superb to take advantage of the space. From memory was soon after half time, it put us 3-0 up & we won 5-1. One of our best ever displays.
Actually it was mainly Stanton who was in the right side triangle. Jimmy O tells a great story about complaining to Turnbull about Brownlie/Stanton/Edwards always playing these triangles & ignoring his runs. Ned says, how many goals have you scored so far Jimmy? 24 says Jim, just keep making these
******* runs son says Ned!!

superfurryhibby
12-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Spot on.I don't know why the shop doesn't work oot a deal with the likes of Toffs and get some of their tops in in bulk at a reduced price, punt them for a wee profit.I bought these:
http://www.toffs.com/images/2416fullimage.jpghttp://www.toffs.com/images/2092fullimage.jpg
Smart as. Bukta one brings back memories of wee Isak running aboot daft wi the socks at the ankles.

How did they wash? I like the auld style tops a lot but feel reluctant to send 40 quid and find they shrink or lose their shape when washed?

I agree with the poster who said that Mowbrayīs side managed to play with a style that was the equal of the Tornadoes. The difference was that they managed it for spells.. Turnbullīs side sustained this over four-five seasons. One big difference was that the Tornadoes were made up of guys at their peaks, mid to late twenties, and nearly all were experienced players.

If we had been able to keep Mowbrayīs squad for two-three seasons then we might have challenged for the league. Sadly, the modern game and the greed that goes with it makes this impossible.

Although I didnīt go to the league cup final, I did go to the next game against Ayr Utd. Iīm sure this was the game when the cup was paraded on the lawnmower with a table laid over the machine? Hibs were awesome that day and although I was but 8 years old the memory remains vivid.

Funny, I must have been to hundreds of games over the past forty odd years and In my minds eye I always envisage the old terracing, the Tornadoes, the smell of cigars and the sense of anticipation.

PeeJay
12-12-2012, 09:08 AM
We were very very good in those days but I would add that Mowbray's team at times played football just as good, and sometimes better.

Now, that's an interesting statement you've made there - if only we could get the two teams together when they were both at their best and have them play each other on the park. As an "oldie" I'd be 100% for the TTs - when "we" were on song we could match the OF and the best in Europe (and we did) - Mowbray's "lot" didn't really play at that level did they? Although they were indeed a fine team on their day.

However,the more I think about it - and with Turnbull back at the helm - the TTs would be the better all-round package - and anyway, the "kids" wouldn't be able to cope with Mr Arthur Duncan... :greengrin

Ray_
12-12-2012, 11:32 AM

The TT's played far more down the wings than through the middle, Barca style. Far from just lumping it to Gordon, a lot of our play through the back went via Brownlie, Blackley & Shades, Sloop could easily have been an accomplished sitting midfield player, [a position that he played from time to time] he used to drive forward from the back and used the ball well.

Brownlie & Shades would be up and down the wing all afternoon. In midfield, Hibs had three players with exceptional passing ability, they used to be able to put the ball on a sixpence and used to switch wings with forty yard passes, with infinite ease & Alan Gordon was extremely skilled on the ground, he certainly wasn't a one trick pony.

As much as I liked TM's team, to compare them with the TT's, never in a million years, sorry.

lapsedhibee
12-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Now, that's an interesting statement you've made there - if only we could get the two teams together when they were both at their best and have them play each other on the park. As an "oldie" I'd be 100% for the TTs - when "we" were on song we could match the OF and the best in Europe (and we did) - Mowbury's "lot" didn't really play at that level did they? Although they were indeed a fine team on their day.

However,the more I think about it - and with Turnbull back at the helm - the TTs would be the better all-round package - and anyway, the "kids" wouldn't be able to cope with Mr Arthur Duncan... :greengrin

TTs would win as they were more effective. Though the TTs had much longer together than Mowbray's best team - if Mowbray's team had been together for as long, I wonder.

lapsedhibee
12-12-2012, 11:54 AM
The TT's played far more down the wings than through the middle, Barca style. Far from just lumping it to Gordon, a lot of our play through the back went via Brownlie, Blackley & Shades, Sloop could easily have been an accomplished sitting midfield player, [a position that he played from time to time] he used to drive forward from the back and used the ball well.

Brownlie & Shades would be up and down the wing all afternoon. In midfield, Hibs had three players with exceptional passing ability, they used to be able to put the ball on a sixpence and used to switch wings with forty yard passes, with infinite ease & Alan Gordon was extremely skilled on the ground, he certainly wasn't a one trick pony.

As much as I liked TM's team, to compare them with the TT's, never in a million years, sorry.

Didn't really mean to compare the two, but have vivid memories of Mowbray's team passing the Huns off the park at ER - can't remember the exact same feeling about the TTs, but that may be purely the passing of brain cells with time. Alan Gordon was great on the ground as well as in the air, but there was a lot of lumping up to him!

lapsedhibee
12-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Actually it was mainly Stanton who was in the right side triangle. Jimmy O tells a great story about complaining to Turnbull about Brownlie/Stanton/Edwards always playing these triangles & ignoring his runs.

Yes, of course, Stanton. Though the complaints must have had some effect, because I remember Jimmy being allowed to take part as well!

Jack
12-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Who would get sent off first Alex Edwards or Scott Broon :confused:

Mr White
12-12-2012, 12:59 PM
How would mcleish's team, on 6-2 form, compare to tt's?

blindsummit
12-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Happy memories indeed. I still have a League Cup Winners pennant (remember those), signed by the whole squad. Whit a team. Should have won much more, they deserved it.

Bostonhibby
12-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Happy memories indeed. I still have a League Cup Winners pennant (remember those), signed by the whole squad. Whit a team. Should have won much more, they deserved it.

Still got a rosette, not signed, and a very fashionable hat from the day.

brog
12-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Brownlie was almost like a winger at times. The LCD tie when we won 6-2 at Airdrie was amazing, he effectively spent last 20 mins playing as a striker. Incidentally that was one of 5 occasions in 1st half of 72/73 season when we scored 5 goals in a half. I can remember Airdrie, Dundee Utd, Sporting Lisbon & Ayr but seem to be missing one!! Anyone help?

Ray_
12-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Brownlie was almost like a winger at times. The LCD tie when we won 6-2 at Airdrie was amazing, he effectively spent last 20 mins playing as a striker. Incidentally that was one of 5 occasions in 1st half of 72/73 season when we scored 5 goals in a half. I can remember Airdrie, Dundee Utd, Sporting Lisbon & Ayr but seem to be missing one!! Anyone help?

:greengrin The missing one, you'll be able to get the whole game on DVD soon :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
12-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Eddie used to sit at the back of the directors box and we had our seasons nearby.The only times he got upset was when the ball was blootered up the park.I saw him on TV once-he said "football is a simple game-you get the ball and play with it-if they get it you take it off them and play some more".Says it all really.

superfurryhibby
12-12-2012, 07:19 PM
:greengrin The missing one, you'll be able to get the whole game on DVD soon :thumbsup:

Was that the game against Fc Besa then, lol.

ano hibby
12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Too young to remember unfortunately but anyone wanting to relive what sounded like an unrepeatable 6 months being a Hibee, I would recommend Ted Bracks book which covers all the above games in detail culminating in the 0-7 game. Done in a very interesting way with all the players who are still alive (ex Arthur Duncan - uncontactable in NZ?) making comments on each other and the games.
A very enjoyable read and makes someone like me too young to remember extremely envious of those who got to watch TT's.

Jack
13-12-2012, 07:30 AM
How would mcleish's team, on 6-2 form, compare to tt's?

I started supporting Hibs at the start of the Tornadoes.

I think you'd have to go back time to get a Hibs team that could regularly beat them.

Golden Bear
13-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Too young to remember unfortunately but anyone wanting to relive what sounded like an unrepeatable 6 months being a Hibee, I would recommend Ted Bracks book which covers all the above games in detail culminating in the 0-7 game. Done in a very interesting way with all the players who are still alive (ex Arthur Duncan - uncontactable in NZ?) making comments on each other and the games.
A very enjoyable read and makes someone like me too young to remember extremely envious of those who got to watch TT's.

And those of us who were fortunate to see the tornadoes in action are probably very envious that you are too young to have witnessed their brilliance.

:greengrin