PDA

View Full Version : Wingers

Diclonius
08-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Who was the last decent out-and-out winger we've had?

Zemmama? Or was he more central? :dunno: If not him, then Sproule in his first spell?

R'Albin
08-12-2012, 11:45 PM
I initially thought this thread was going to be ranting at people crying about today's game :tee hee:

To be honest I would say Cairney is mate, he plays central sometimes but so did Zouma.

Diclonius
08-12-2012, 11:50 PM
I initially thought this thread was going to be ranting at people crying about today's game :tee hee:

To be honest I would say Cairney is mate, he plays central sometimes but so did Zouma.

Thought Cairney was more an all purpose attacking midfielder and we'd play him centrally if we had someone else? :confused:

Billychaotic182
08-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Allan O'Brian???

PerfectlyFranck
09-12-2012, 12:08 AM

Cairney never has been a winger nor a left-sided player.

He'll only be getting played there because he's the best we have to put in that position I suppose. Everytime he's played on the left, he comes right back into the centre and doesn't do a great job linking with the full-back. We've even tried Doyle there a couple of times.

McGinn looks like he would've been a good signing.

Velma Dinkley
09-12-2012, 12:25 AM
michael o'neil

J-C
09-12-2012, 04:31 AM
Mickey Weir

Hibercelona
09-12-2012, 05:41 AM
Willie Ormond.

They've all been pish since!

KanyeWestLower
09-12-2012, 06:36 AM
Alex Edwards

Mark79
09-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Tony rougier or paul hartley ( hartley was a joke by the way)

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Chrunchie.

hfc rd
09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
John O'Neil

cabbageandribs1875
09-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Arthur duncan

Cauld Bovril
09-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Alex Edwards

The man who made me fall in love with Hibs as a young pup

iwasthere1972
09-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Eric Stevenson.

theonlywayisup
09-12-2012, 07:56 PM
At this moment in time, I would take Joe Tortolano and Joe McBride.

Only joking!!!

Scouse Hibee
09-12-2012, 08:07 PM
For getting me out of my seat in my times of watching Hibs since 1990 it has to be Crunchie or Mickey Weir for me. Zemamma was good but I have fonder memories of those two.

dchibs
09-12-2012, 08:27 PM
The man who made me fall in love with Hibs as a young pup

ALEX EDWARDS was my favorite player as well, his diagonal passes for ARTHUR DUNCAN where brilliant.

silverhibee
09-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Chrunchie.

Deek under Yogi when we got in to Europe. Or is LM different from a winger. :dunno:

Tricla
09-12-2012, 09:35 PM
John O'Neil

He wisnae a winger. Centre mid wis he no?

kentao
09-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Crunchie, Micheal O'Neil, Micky Weir. Harper?

Please Pat get us a couple of decent wingers and a target man in Jan.

CallumLaidlaw
09-12-2012, 09:52 PM
De La Cruz was worth £1.5m

Agathe??

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-12-2012, 06:33 AM
Joe McBride. His late, late equaliser to make it 2-2 in a midweek game at Tynie is one of my favourite goals.

superfurryhibby
10-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Deek under Yogi when we got in to Europe. Or is LM different from a winger. :dunno:

In the modern game I think it is. In days gone by Hibs played 4-3-3. Four at the back three in mid and three up front, that would usually be two through the middle up front and a wide man. That formation was fairly common until the Miller era. Today`s wide midfielders are expected to track back and have less of an attacking emphasis.

JollyGreenGiant
10-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Andy Dow

Did he not score at tynie also?

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2012, 08:38 AM

:greengrin

You know if someone asked me what position Deek played when at Hibs, i'd struggle to answer correctly?

Was he a forward, was he a winger? All i know is i enjoyed it and got off my seat many times applauding his goals. :thumbsup:

Lucius Apuleius
10-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Wingers? Used to be one in Tourist Class with Union Castle Line. :greengrin

The Sea-gull
10-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Not really played with out and out wingers for years. Not many teams do these days. More recent years have seen teams go for a a 4-3-3 that can become a 4-5-1 but the wide players in that formation are usually more like attacking forwards or wide midfielders rather than the traditonal winger we all think of as being the "fast, nippy, tricky" guy like a Mickey Weir or a Kev McAllister.

The out and out winger is a dying breed really. Suppose Sproule in his first spell is as close as we have had but again he tended to play wide right in attack rather than what you might traditionally say is a "winger". Alan O'Brien was a winger but not really decent.

Only out and out winger I can think of playing in the SPL just now is maybe Johnny Hayes at Aberdeen. Their boy Ryan Fraser too? Struggling beyond them to be honest.

Hibs wingers in recent times:- Mickey Weir, Kevin McAllister that is really it and you are going back almost 20 years with them. Maybe Tony Rougier.

Michael O'Neil, Stephen Glass, Derek Riordan and Zemmamma the like were all more of your wide midfielders/forwards.

Would be a bold team who played 4-4-2 with two wingers. Even in the early and mid 90s when Alex Miller always played a 4-4-2 he only went with one out and out winger eg Weir or Crunchie and he went with a different type of player on the other side like Michael O'Neil. Same goes with most other teams too. Can't think of many in the modern era that play with two wingers. Plenty use one but not many use two.

AlbertK86
10-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Not really played with out and out wingers for years. Not many teams do these days. More recent years have seen teams go for a a 4-3-3 that can become a 4-5-1 but the wide players in that formation are usually more like attacking forwards or wide midfielders rather than the traditonal winger we all think of as being the "fast, nippy, tricky" guy like a Mickey Weir or a Kev McAllister.

The out and out winger is a dying breed really. Suppose Sproule in his first spell is as close as we have had but again he tended to play wide right in attack rather than what you might traditionally say is a "winger". Alan O'Brien was a winger but not really decent.

Only out and out winger I can think of playing in the SPL just now is maybe Johnny Hayes at Aberdeen. Their boy Ryan Fraser too? Struggling beyond them to be honest.

Hibs wingers in recent times:- Mickey Weir, Kevin McAllister that is really it and you are going back almost 20 years with them. Maybe Tony Rougier.

Michael O'Neil, Stephen Glass, Derek Riordan and Zemmamma the like were all more of your wide midfielders/forwards.

Would be a bold team who played 4-4-2 with two wingers. Even in the early and mid 90s when Alex Miller always played a 4-4-2 he only went with one out and out winger eg Weir or Crunchie and he went with a different type of player on the other side like Michael O'Neil. Same goes with most other teams too. Can't think of many in the modern era that play with two wingers. Plenty use one but not many use two.

Man U regularly play two wingers but your right exception as opposed to the rule

Edwards and Duncan for the Hibees ... 2 fantastic wingers

The Sea-gull
10-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Man U regularly play two wingers but your right exception as opposed to the rule

Edwards and Duncan for the Hibees ... 2 fantastic wingers

Good point, Valencia, Nani and Young are all just about out and out wingers. Giggs too although hasn't been the out and out winger he was when he was young for a few years now.

One of the only teams who do it and look where they tend to finish in the table most years. A club where finishing second is a bad season.

Skanko79
10-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Andy Dow

Did he not score at tynie also?

he was more a left back i think.

and yes he scored at tynie, sure it was his debut.

southsider
11-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Willie Ormond.

They've all been pish since!

Eric Stevenson and Arthur Duncan were "pish". How many games did you go to ? Not that many or dont recognize true skill.

cabbageandribs1875
11-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Eric Stevenson and Arthur Duncan were "pish". How many games did you go to ? Not that many or dont
recognize true skill.

the ignorance of youth :agree:

BonnieFitbaTeam
11-12-2012, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=The out and out winger is a dying breed really. Suppose Sproule in his first spell is as close as we have had but again he tended to play wide right in attack rather than what you might traditionally say is a "winger". Alan O'Brien was a winger but not really a footballer.

Fixed that for you.

Sweet Left Peg
11-12-2012, 01:25 PM
he was more a left back i think.

and yes he scored at tynie, sure it was his debut.

1-1 IIRC. Debut goal at the Gorgie Road end which was the away end at that time.

Diclonius
16-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Yesterday Motherwell's left winger scored two goals against us, and their right winger pretty much set all of them up.

So I'll say it again - why do we choose not to sign and use wingers in a league where it is proven to be extremely effective?

Golden Bear
16-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Eric Stevenson and Arthur Duncan were "pish". How many games did you go to ? Not that many or dont recognize true skill.

Duncan Lambie was the true definition of "pish"