PDA

View Full Version : Around twenty years ago

Jonnyboy
08-12-2012, 09:57 PM
All this mumping and moaning about a poor result v Caley etc. Have a look at this and you'll see real reason for moaning and mumping and thanks to fan pressure the proposals for a move to Straiton were never more than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eFijrAd9-s&feature=endscreen

john18722
08-12-2012, 11:58 PM
"It's impossible for Hibs to remain at Easter Rd".

Bishop Hibee
09-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Still have a copy somewhere of official propaganda with Douglas Cromb telling the fans that their was no alternative to moving to Straiton. Hands on Hibs was almost as important as Hands off Hibs.

ballengeich
09-12-2012, 02:26 AM
All this mumping and moaning about a poor result v Caley etc. Have a look at this and you'll see real reason for moaning and mumping and thanks to fan pressure the proposals for a move to Straiton were never more than that.

Jonny

Thank you!

hibs4thecup1988
09-12-2012, 09:46 AM
I've not had a look yet. But 20 years ago? Really?? Feels like yesterday! I'm 24 and remember watching the TV thinking we can't play on a fire station surely...:D.

AndyM_1875
09-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Is the site being discussed the one that IKEA/Costco now sits on Johnny?

Sweep
09-12-2012, 11:22 AM
I may be wrong, but I think it was to be built over the road from next and Argos etc. on the same side as the park and ride.

essexhibee
09-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Weird to see Easter Road looking like that in the video from my point of view being a young'un.

That proposed ground looked pish. What a difference to the fantastic stadia we have now. :aok:

Mr White
09-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Always liked Douglas crombe but thank god he didn't manage to move us to straighton.

Frazerbob
09-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Always liked Douglas crombe but thank god he didn't manage to move us to straighton.

Crombe was a great Hibs supporter and worked extremely hard during the dark days of the Mercer bid. However, he was prone to shooting from the hip. As well as his Straiton "dream" I remember him saying that the first thing he would do if he became chairman would be to get rid of Alex Miller...that didn't exactly pan out.

Pretty Boy
09-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Crombe was a great Hibs supporter and worked extremely hard during the dark days of the Mercer bid. However, he was prone to shooting from the hip. As well as his Straiton "dream" I remember him saying that the first thing he would do if he became chairman would be to get rid of Alex Miller...that didn't exactly pan out.

I think he also went on to brand Hibs supporters calling for Miller to go 'morons' and 'evil bigots'. Done a lot of good for Hibs no doubt but as you say was a bit quick on the draw at times.

Incidentally when are Hearts starting work on the 'extensive redevolopment' mentioned in the report? Surely that flat pack monstrosity they have just now can't be it.

lyonhibs
09-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm obviously going mad. Were there not plans to move us to Straiton or similar that led to "Stand up and be counted". Turn of the millenium under Blobby when the high spending under Eck came home to roost??

IWasThere2016
09-12-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm obviously going mad. Were there not plans to move us to Straiton or similar that led to "Stand up and be counted". Turn of the millenium under Blobby when the high spending under Eck came home to roost??

Either your memory is as bad as mine but that's how I recall it with RP/STF wanting the move.

jgl07
09-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Still have a copy somewhere of official propaganda with Douglas Cromb telling the fans that their was no alternative to moving to Straiton. Hands on Hibs was almost as important as Hands off Hibs.

Your timing is out with that one.

The (initial) decision to move to Straiton died once the go ahead was given to rebuild the North and South Stands around 1994 long before Hands on Hibs emerged. There was the Frustaiton Campaign at the time that may have featured some of the same individuals but not Hands on Hibs.

Hands on Hibs was active later in the mid to late 1990s. They seemed very keen for STF to sell to Brian Kennedy (or anyone?) at the time.

The main reason why the move never took place was down the delays in getting planning permission for the stadium and (more significantly) the associated commercial development needed to pay for the whole thing. This effectively forced to club to stay at Easter Road.

Baldy Foghorn
09-12-2012, 01:12 PM
It was another worrying time to be a hibby, and I was strongly opposed to the thought of moving to Straiton, Back in those days I was a drinker and thought it would curb my Saturday bevvy ups....

I recall at the time STF said he wanted to keep Hibs in Leith, so this proposed move came from leftfield, I voiced concerns in the Evening News, saying that any move away from Easter Road would rip the heart out of the community.

Thank God we remained at Easter Road........The rest as they say is history

iwasthere1972
09-12-2012, 02:28 PM

That would have been a disaster. Didn't give enough consideration for the fans who wanted a drink pre-match. Couldn't imagine having to drink up town then sit on a bus full of drunks to Loanhead. Ingliston would have been just as bad.

Jonnyboy
09-12-2012, 11:03 PM
I think he also went on to brand Hibs supporters calling for Miller to go 'morons' and 'evil bigots'. Done a lot of good for Hibs no doubt but as you say was a bit quick on the draw at times.

Incidentally when are Hearts starting work on the 'extensive redevolopment' mentioned in the report? Surely that flat pack monstrosity they have just now can't be it.

Indeed and I was one of them (supporter, not moron or evil bigot) who actively campaigned for the removal of Miller. I remember once when in conversation with DC he told me he didn't like the name we called Miller in the fanzine. Given that Miller 'enjoyed' a few names I asked DC which one upset him so much and he replied 'Lexo' which I have to say resulted in a somewhat graceless guffaw from yours truly :greengrin

superfurryhibby
10-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Where would we be now if that move had gone ahead. Up shiote creek and nae paddle methinks. Itīs been hard enough getting crowds into Easter Road, never mind some out of town site.

Cromb was clearly dedicated to Hibs but not without fault. His "bigot" remarks were uncalled for. Fans were against Miller at the start due to his Rangers background. His dour demeanor and negative football soon became more of an issue. In saying that the guy did sign some wonderful players and obviously won the League Cup.

Lucius Apuleius
10-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Where would we be now if that move had gone ahead. Up shiote creek and nae paddle methinks. Itīs been hard enough getting crowds into Easter Road, never mind some out of town site.

Cromb was clearly dedicated to Hibs but not without fault. His "bigot" remarks were uncalled for. Fans were against Miller at the start due to his Rangers background. His dour demeanor and negative football soon became more of an issue. In saying that the guy did sign some wonderful players and obviously won the League Cup.

I honestly do not recall it being anything to do with his hun affiliation.

Frazerbob
10-12-2012, 02:44 PM
I honestly do not recall it being anything to do with his hun affiliation.

Correct, despite the media regularly trotting that line out. Miller's first game was home to Old Rangers and received a standing ovation from the Hibs support.

Saorsa
10-12-2012, 02:48 PM
I honestly do not recall it being anything to do with his hun affiliation.:agree: Rubbish made up the west coast media with little if any substance, there will have been a few nae doubt but it certainly wisnae the reason of the majority. It was the fitba that made you lose the will tae live that he got pelters for. :agree:

Always be grateful for the league cup win though, my best day at the fitba until we win the Scottish. :agree:

Ritchie
10-12-2012, 02:54 PM
I may be wrong, but I think it was to be built over the road from next and Argos etc. on the same side as the park and ride.

Yes, right next to he on ramp for the west bound city bypass.

Saorsa
10-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Indeed and I was one of them (supporter, not moron or evil bigot) who actively campaigned for the removal of Miller. I remember once when in conversation with DC he told me he didn't like the name we called Miller in the fanzine. Given that Miller 'enjoyed' a few names I asked DC which one upset him so much and he replied 'Lexo' which I have to say resulted in a somewhat graceless guffaw from yours truly :greengrinIf he'd said 'Mogadon' you could maybe have understood it, I'm no surprised you guffawed when he said 'Lexo'. If that had been the worst thing he was ever called he'd have been doing awrite. :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
10-12-2012, 03:04 PM

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/straiton-the-talking-point-of-hibees-year-1-898457

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/supporters-split-as-talks-begin-on-possible-move-1-883554

The 1990s out of town schemes always fell through due to either green belt issues or not gaining approval for other retail developments that would have helped pay for it. It also didn't help that both clubs were pursuing separate plans and sites, probably due to the "relationship" between the clubs after the events of 1990. The clubs were in effect forced to redevelop because there was a 1994 deadline for stadiums to be all-seated.

The 2003 scheme fell through because Hibs fans were opposed to it. Without both clubs paying in (or Farmer providing the land at mates rates) it couldn't work financially. It then forced Robinson to look into just selling the PBS outright and sharing Murrayfield, which indirectly led to Romanov coming in.

Saorsa
10-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Indeed and I was one of them (supporter, not moron or evil bigot) who actively campaigned for the removal of Miller. I remember once when in conversation with DC he told me he didn't like the name we called Miller in the fanzine. Given that Miller 'enjoyed' a few names I asked DC which one upset him so much and he replied 'Lexo' which I have to say resulted in a somewhat graceless guffaw from yours truly :greengrinYour talk of old fanzines had me raking about today and I happened upon an Alex Miller cartoon in a copy of the Glasgow Gossip from Jan. 1989. :greengrin

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/gg.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/gg2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/gg2b.jpg

Pretty Boy
10-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Correct, despite the media regularly trotting that line out. Miller's first game was home to Old Rangers and received a standing ovation from the Hibs support.

He also got a fantastic ovation at the Hands off Hibs 20th anniversary night.

jgl07
10-12-2012, 06:05 PM
The 1990s out of town schemes always fell through due to either green belt issues or not gaining approval for other retail developments that would have helped pay for it. It also didn't help that both clubs were pursuing separate plans and sites, probably due to the "relationship" between the clubs after the events of 1990. The clubs were in effect forced to redevelop because there was a 1994 deadline for stadiums to be all-seated.

That sums things up quite well although Hibs installed seats on the East Terrace and the (open) visitors' end as an interim measure for the 1994-5 season to meet the all seater rules. It was still planned to move to Straiton at this time. I doubt if the City Council would have accepted the 'conversion' for longer than a season. When it was clear that Straiton was not going to happen, Hibs agreed to build the new North and South Stands. In addition the main stand was 'reseated' with plastic seats recycled from the South side of the stadium to make a fully Taylor compliant stadium.

I don't believe that opposition from the fans had much to do with the decision to stay at Easter Road. Many were opposed but the remainder had a sort of grudging acceptance of the inevitability of the scheme and the huge cost of upgrading Easter Road (which the club no longer owned). The move was blocked because of the failure to get planning permission from retail and other development at Staiton to effectively 'pay for' the stadium out of planning gain.

The 2003 scheme fell through because Hibs fans were opposed to it. Without both clubs paying in (or Farmer providing the land at mates rates) it couldn't work financially. It then forced Robinson to look into just selling the PBS outright and sharing Murrayfield, which indirectly led to Romanov coming in.

The land would have been provided at nominal costs (Ģ400 per acre). The owners (including STF) were probably hoping to use the stadium as a Trojan Horse to bust the greenbelt regulations and then get further development adjacent as was the case with the original scheme. There was no guarantee that planning permission for this would have come off and it was (I think?) withdrawn before a definitive answer had been received.

The stupidity of the revival of Straiton in 2002 was that it followed immediately after the opening off the brand new West Stand. The opposition to Straiton was much more widespread than ten years earlier because of the money spent on redeveloping three stands out of four. Also the stadium was back in the ownership of the club rather than the holding company. In 1992, Easter Road was a complete dump but by 2002 it was arguably the best football stadium in Scotland (outside of Glasgow). To exchange that for a windswept Legoland-type construction on the edge of the City with poor public transport links and little local infrastructure made no sense to most supporters. To have shared the stadium with the Yams would have been the final straw.

However I suspect that it was the unsound economics of the relocation rather than fans' opposition that really blocked relocation. The move was finally killed off and the stake driven through the heart when the East Stand was rebuilt.