PDA

View Full Version : NHC Murrayfield Want To Host Euro 2020 Final

H18sry
08-12-2012, 01:51 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/murrayfield-bosses-reveal-euro-2020-final-venue-goal-1-2681966#.UMNB_RwnqS8.twitter Thoughts ?

VickMackie
08-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Would welcome it. Plus bigger stadium equals more tickets for fans once the standard 20-25k tickets are given away.

Golden Bear
08-12-2012, 02:03 PM
No chance.

A football final should be staged in a football stadium and all the income used for the benefit of football.

Simples.

Keith_M
08-12-2012, 02:59 PM
No chance.

A football final should be staged in a football stadium and all the income used for the benefit of football.

Simples.

So you'd forego the possibility of Scotland getting to host the Euro Final on principle? Sorry but I definitely don't share that view.

As for the money going to the benfit of football, I'd be amazed if the rental of Murrayfield for a single game is even 0.1% of the income for the Euro Final. Hardly football throwing money away

Hibernia Na Eir
08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
personally, I don't think Murrayfield is a great stadium. It's boring.

HibeeN
08-12-2012, 03:03 PM
So you'd forego the possibility of Scotland getting to host the Euro Final on principle? Sorry but I definitely don't share that view.

:agree: Not just Scotland, but more specifically, Edinburgh! Would be an amazing occasion for the city and something that should definitely be pursued. The fans of other countries won't care if it's a rugby or football stadium. I would definitely like to see this.

Keith_M
08-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Surely only when there's nobody in it?

:greengrin

Nando™
08-12-2012, 03:12 PM
I wasn't there for the Barcelona game but the general concensus I've gathered from folk that were there, along with a wide range of people supporting different teams that were there when Hearts played them, was that Murrayfield is dreadful place to stage a football match.

AndyB_70
08-12-2012, 03:24 PM
So we are basing this on 2 friendly matches. Murrayfield can have a fantastic atmosphere. You've obviously never been there when it's full and a competitive match is being played. I for one would welcome it.

Pretty Boy
08-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Agree.

It's big but thats about it. The old stand connected to the rest looks silly and the stupid running track down one side means fans on that side are miles from the park. Also because its first and foremost a rugby stadium by its very nature there's big gaps behind the goals. Add to that a complete lack of permanent catering facilities.

Seems because Hampden is so bad, a lot of people have a romanticised view of Murrayfield.

SunshineOnLeith
08-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Murrayfield is the best stadium in the country. It's never been full, or even close, for a meaningful football match, but if you've been there for a Six Nations game, or the Edinburgh v Toulouse match last year, it creates some noise.

Broken Gnome
08-12-2012, 03:55 PM

As for the money going to the benfit of football, I'd be amazed if the rental of Murrayfield for a single game is even 0.1% of the income for the Euro Final. Hardly football throwing money away

It would be the reason Edinburgh would never ever get it though. Not a chance would they give it to a non-football ground.

lord bunberry
08-12-2012, 03:59 PM
It would be the reason Edinburgh would never ever get it though. Not a chance would they give it to a non-football ground.

Edinburgh might get it when hearts build there new 60k seat stand

1two
08-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Murrayfield is the best stadium in the country. It's never been full, or even close, for a meaningful football match, but if you've been there for a Six Nations game, or the Edinburgh v Toulouse match last year, it creates some noise.

I can't disagree having never been to a rugby match but I always think a good rugby atmosphere is a different to a good football atmosphere

VickMackie
08-12-2012, 04:41 PM
So we are basing this on 2 friendly matches. Murrayfield can have a fantastic atmosphere. You've obviously never been there when it's full and a competitive match is being played. I for one would welcome it.

When I was at our Barca game the atmosphere was a bit quiet with the exception of one guy losing the plot and screaming that he'd spent over a grand on season tickets 'for this *****'. I think it was after their fourth or fifth.

People were applauding the Barca goals and he was going mental. :faf:

Pretty Boy
08-12-2012, 04:48 PM
When I was at our Barca game the atmosphere was a bit quiet with the exception of one guy losing the plot and screaming that he'd spent over a grand on season tickets 'for this *****'. I think it was after their fourth or fifth.

People were applauding the Barca goals and he was going mental. :faf:

You must have been sat near me then. Exact same guy I'm almost sure of it.

Everyone was laughing at him as it was blindingly obvious Hibs had been told no hard tackles etc and he just Didnt get it. I said to my mate I enjoyed watching Barca again having been a regular at Camp Nou for a season and the clown called me, and I quote, 'a ****ing weirdo' and a 'catalan ****'. Classic. He also told anyone who would listen that Barca were 'there for the taking'. They went on to win the Champions League.

Eyrie
08-12-2012, 08:11 PM
No chance.

Simples.

The bigger capacity would mean more income for football, even after paying a rental for the stadium. However the SFA will be desperate to justify the existence of Hampden as anything other than a neutral venue for Ugly Sisters cup finals and so will insist that it is used. They will also take the view that Murrayfield is in Edinburgh, and will rule it out so they can stay in Glasgow.

Bostonhibby
08-12-2012, 08:18 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/murrayfield-bosses-reveal-euro-2020-final-venue-goal-1-2681966#.UMNB_RwnqS8.twitter Thoughts ?

Wow....... is this the one that the Yams were going to be in, or am I too late? would be brilliant as its right on their doorstep, might even be a home game by then.

PapillonVert
08-12-2012, 09:11 PM
When Scotland originally applied to hold the 2012 tournament, the SFA had Murrayfield down to host a qualifying game and a quarter-final. Both semis and the final at Hampden.

When UEFA came and did the tour of the proposed stadia, they asked the SFA why they had not made their best stadium (Murrayfield) the centre-piece of their bid and told the SFA that if they ever wanted to hold the finals they had to put forward the best stadium for the final.

Which in UEFA's view was not Hampden.

The Glasgow-centric SFA clearly have learned nothing.

The final is about not only the stadium but the whole ambience surrounding it and having a host city which can stand on the European stage. Edinburgh, and Murrayfield, are IMO the best that Scotland can offer, not pokey, out-of-the-way Hampden no matter the history.

If Scotland wants to host the final, it's a no brainer. The best international stadium we have is Murrayfield and the best international city we have is Edinburgh.

In my humble unbiased opinion.

Scouse Hibee
09-12-2012, 10:38 AM
When Scotland originally applied to hold the 2012 tournament, the SFA had Murrayfield down to host a qualifying game and a quarter-final. Both semis and the final at Hampden.

When UEFA came and did the tour of the proposed stadia, they asked the SFA why they had not made their best stadium (Murrayfield) the centre-piece of their bid and told the SFA that if they ever wanted to hold the finals they had to put forward the best stadium for the final.

Which in UEFA's view was not Hampden.

The Glasgow-centric SFA clearly have learned nothing.

The final is about not only the stadium but the whole ambience surrounding it and having a host city which can stand on the European stage. Edinburgh, and Murrayfield, are IMO the best that Scotland can offer, not pokey, out-of-the-way Hampden no matter the history.

If Scotland wants to host the final, it's a no brainer. The best international stadium we have is Murrayfield and the best international city we have is Edinburgh.

In my humble unbiased opinion.

Nice story apart from the fact that Murrayfield is a rugby stadium and nowt to do with the SFA so they did put "their" best stadium forward which is Hampden. I can't really see a Rugby stadium being accepted TBH

Broken Gnome
09-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Nice story apart from the fact that Murrayfield is a rugby stadium and nowt to do with the SFA so they did put "their" best stadium forward which is Hampden. I can't really see a Riugby stadium being accepted TBH

Exactly. It's more to do with UEFA than the SFA anyway - realistically they're not going to overlook every football stadium in interested cities for one that primarily hosts rugby internationals.

HH81
09-12-2012, 10:49 AM
If murrayfield got it does that mean any chance of holding group games at easter road? Would they pay to fill in corners too :-)

Since90+2
09-12-2012, 11:32 AM
If murrayfield got it does that mean any chance of holding group games at easter road? Would they pay to fill in corners too :-)

No chance. Capacity of ER is too low (even with corners filled in).

PapillonVert
09-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Nice story apart from the fact that Murrayfield is a rugby stadium and nowt to do with the SFA so they did put "their" best stadium forward which is Hampden. I can't really see a Rugby stadium being accepted TBH

Not a story.

Murrayfield WAS part of the official bid after an agreement between the SFA and the SRU that it could be used if Scotland won the bid. It was visited and inspected by the official UEFA inspection team who assessed the whole Scottish bid and the UEFA inspectors told the SFA it was (and is) the best stadium that SCOTLAND (the country is the host, the SFA merely the bureaucrats who put the bid together) had to offer and should, therefore, have been the centre-piece of the bid. The newspaper reports at the time reported that UEFA was "bowled over" by the facilities on offer at Murrayfield and believed it to be a worthy contender for a Euro Championship final.

The "story" was widely reported at the time and is not made up (as your post seems to imply).

hibby rae
09-12-2012, 11:52 AM
You must have been sat near me then. Exact same guy I'm almost sure of it.

Everyone was laughing at him as it was blindingly obvious Hibs had been told no hard tackles etc and he just Didnt get it. I said to my mate I enjoyed watching Barca again having been a regular at Camp Nou for a season and the clown called me, and I quote, 'a ****ing weirdo' and a 'catalan ****'. Classic. He also told anyone who would listen that Barca were 'there for the taking'. They went on to win the Champions League.

Just as they were becoming arguably the greatest club side ever, brilliant. I wonder if this guy sits close to me in the East. There's a verty excitable punter that seems to spend more time jumping out of his seat hands on his head than he does watching the game, even in the case of insignificant decisions. He's quite entertaining but his heart must work overtime at every game.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-12-2012, 11:56 AM
SFA won't endorse football at Murrayfield. Even it is for the good of the game.

Bishop Hibee
09-12-2012, 12:09 PM
No chance of the final being at a rugger stadium. SFA should apply for group games or the semis being at Hampden, Darkheid or Ipox. Hopefully with Scotland playing.

Scouse Hibee
09-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Not a story.

Murrayfield WAS part of the official bid after an agreement between the SFA and the SRU that it could be used if Scotland won the bid. It was visited and inspected by the official UEFA inspection team who assessed the whole Scottish bid and the UEFA inspectors told the SFA it was (and is) the best stadium that SCOTLAND (the country is the host, the SFA merely the bureaucrats who put the bid together) had to offer and should, therefore, have been the centre-piece of the bid. The newspaper reports at the time reported that UEFA was "bowled over" by the facilities on offer at Murrayfield and believed it to be a worthy contender for a Euro Championship final.

The "story" was widely reported at the time and is not made up (as your post seems to imply).

Steady Tiger! I wasn't implying that the story was made up at all, now if your original post had mentioned that the SFA had SRU approval to use Murrayfield I wouldn't have made the comment regarding it not being "theirs" to use. The SFA showcased their own football stadiums and quite rightly so in my opinion.

LancashireHibby
09-12-2012, 04:23 PM
For those who don't want a "rugger" stadium to be used, I'd be interested to hear the views on the Millennium and Aviva Stadiums being used as I believe they're also owned by their respective RFU's (albeit with no real alternative stadiums in those countries)?

PapillonVert
09-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Steady Tiger! I wasn't implying that the story was made up at all, now if your original post had mentioned that the SFA had SRU approval to use Murrayfield I wouldn't have made the comment regarding it not being "theirs" to use. The SFA showcased their own football stadiums and quite rightly so in my opinion.

:greengrin From a butterfly to a tiger(-ress) in one post.

http://my.opera.com/eagle4eyes/albums/showpic.dml?album=593593&picture=24547341