PDA

View Full Version : The Making of Hibernian trilogy by Alan Lugton

Jonnyboy
07-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Over the months I've been asked a number of times if Birlinn will be republishing Alan Lugton's trilogy. Here's an extract from my last email exchange with them a couple of days ago ............

we are republishing the Lugton trilogy (as print on demand paperbacks) – they should be available in December.

Hope that helps interested parties :thumbsup:

murray26
07-12-2012, 07:48 PM
They should make it a film, it would be a blockbuster, it would piss the celtic fans off aswell.

ginger_rice
07-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Great news I have vol 1 in hardback but not 2 and 3. :flag:

Jonnyboy
07-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Should have said it might be an idea for anyone interested in buying to 'prompt' the publisher with an enquiry as to how these books can be ordered.

Email is info@birlinn.co.uk

LALthehibeeGAL
07-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Over the months I've been asked a number of times if Birlinn will be republishing Alan Lugton's trilogy. Here's an extract from my last email exchange with them a couple of days ago ............

we are republishing the Lugton trilogy (as print on demand paperbacks) – they should be available in December.

good - finally get part 2.

Lal:wink:

BSEJVT
07-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Should have said it might be an idea for anyone interested in buying to 'prompt' the publisher with an enquiry as to how these books can be ordered.

Thanks Jonnyboy when is your 2nd book coming out?

Jonnyboy
07-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy when is your 2nd book coming out?

Latest info from the publisher is Spring 2013 :thumbsup:

Jamesie
07-12-2012, 09:04 PM

Will probably be seeing Hugh at some point next week so will give him a gentle nudge! :agree:

Pretty Boy
07-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Brilliant stuff, read 1 and 2 so to get 3 would be fanatstic.

Also jonnyboy, your book is excellent. Copy for myself read in a couple of days and a second copy purchased for my Grandads Christmas.

Jonnyboy
07-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Brilliant stuff, read 1 and 2 so to get 3 would be fanatstic.

Also jonnyboy, your book is excellent. Copy for myself read in a couple of days and a second copy purchased for my Grandads Christmas.

Thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated :thumbsup: Hopefully you'll enjoy volumes 2 and 3 in due course :greengrin

trev the hat
07-12-2012, 09:35 PM
What bookshop will be stockists ? & where can the 1st two be obtained ? Not read these.
Cheers

Jonnyboy
07-12-2012, 09:42 PM
What bookshop will be stockists ? & where can the 1st two be obtained ? Not read these.
Cheers

As far as I know they'll be printed on demand and so an email to Birlinn at the above address is your best bet :thumbsup:

trev the hat
07-12-2012, 09:57 PM
As far as I know they'll be printed on demand and so an email to Birlinn at the above address is your best bet :thumbsup:

Thanks JB

Purple & Green
07-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Any word on kindle versions? Although, I might just bite the bullet and buy paper versions and scan them in myself if it doesn't happen soon.

Hibernia Na Eir
08-12-2012, 10:24 AM
I've mailed them as I need Part III of this quality trilogy.

yeezus.
08-12-2012, 10:29 AM
I have the first one and have read it - if anyone wants it, PM me and I'll send it to you.

Hibernia Na Eir
08-12-2012, 02:04 PM
I have the first one and have read it - if anyone wants it, PM me and I'll send it to you.

make sure right person gets it - can fetch decent money on eBay.

yeezus.
08-12-2012, 02:33 PM

:aok: cheers for that, will do.

(((Fergus)))
08-12-2012, 05:06 PM

Have you suggested they publish them in electronic format?

Jonnyboy
08-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Any word on kindle versions? Although, I might just bite the bullet and buy paper versions and scan them in myself if it doesn't happen soon.

Have you suggested they publish them in electronic format?

Sorry guys I never asked about Kindle versions for these but if you mail a request to the publisher it might have the desired effect :agree:

Nakedmanoncrack
08-12-2012, 07:13 PM
All three are essential reading, though 2 & 3 (much more expensive to get hands on) don't reach the standard of the first.

Hibernia Na Eir
09-12-2012, 07:19 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Making-of-Hibernian-v-1-Lugton-Alan-Hardback-Book-/400338015059?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item5d36015353

there you go !

Danderhall Hibs
02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Just bought parts 2 & 3 of the Lugton books on Amazon (cheaper than going to the publisher direct) plus Jonnnyboys book. All for just over £50 (inc. P&P).

JB - will a signed copy make it more valuable? If so how do I go about getting my copy signed?!...:greengrin

fat freddy
02-04-2013, 06:13 PM
good news about the lugton books...i read the first one a few years ago and it was very well researched and most informative.

i was thinking recently about the amount of books published concerning hibs, in the last year or so i have read books on eddie turnbull, lawrie reilly, budgie, the hibs miscellany, the hibs handbook, bobby johnstone and im currently reading gordon smiths biography courtesy of kindle....add this to the pile of hibs books in my library going back to 100 years of hibs and the amount of books published about the club and its players must be around about thirty....can anyone give a definitive list of books on the green genre?

and while we're at it...how many on the yams?....whenever im browsing the bookshops sports section i usually see loads about hibs but very little on the yams...is this down to the yams fans being illiterate or is their history so boring that no one can be bothered writing about them....surely a book about the romanov era would be forthcoming if we had had him inflicted upon us?...it says it all that one of the few books written about them was written by a hibby (aiden smith, heartfelt).

Hibernia Na Eir
02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
well worth visiting St Pats (even more so the plaque is now in place) after reading these books....absorb 'The History'.

Jonnyboy
02-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Just bought parts 2 & 3 of the Lugton books on Amazon (cheaper than going to the publisher direct) plus Jonnnyboys book. All for just over £50 (inc. P&P).

JB - will a signed copy make it more valuable? If so how do I go about getting my copy signed?!...:greengrin

More likely to devalue it :greengrin

Happy to meet up before a game,m say in the club shop where I can use their counter to lean on :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
02-04-2013, 09:08 PM
More likely to devalue it :greengrin

Happy to meet up before a game,m say in the club shop where I can use their counter to lean on :greengrin

I'll get back to you when I get it. Maybe!

Cheers.

Baldy Foghorn
02-04-2013, 09:10 PM
I have all 3 books of the Lugton trilogy.....

Just finished reading the first book again, and it really makes you think about how unfairly treated the Club was, from the footballing authorities and other teams from inception going forward....(Celtic, Renton and the yams in particular).......

A lot of hard graft from various bodies and men, around 1891 to resuscitate the Club, and still going strong Today....Magic stuff......Makes me extremely proud to be a Hibs supporter.....

Miguel
02-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Someone needs to condense the Lugton's books into one volume. They are masterworks of research - I used to see Alan at the Central Library when he was working on them - but they are poorly written, repetitive and over long. And I do think there are more books about Hibs than Hearts because we tend to be more worth writing about. John Mackay's centenary history is still the best overall study, but the book by Gordon Smith's son is a very moving one, as it portrays the man as well as the footballer.

Greendreamer
03-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Have all 3 Lugton books in Hardback and in excellent condition.

Now that this had been discussed I'll have to get them out which will mean I'll have my head buried in them again. Which will mean SWMBO will be giving me daggers, especially during the school hols.

fat freddy
03-04-2013, 10:40 PM
ok..i'll start the list...feel free to add any books i've missed

100 years of hibs by gerry docherty and phil thomson

the hibees by john mackay

hibernian, the easter rd story by john mckay

the quiet man by pat stanton

hibernian in the days of the famous 5 by tom wright

life and times of last minute reilly by lawrie reilly

gordon smith, prince of wingers by tony smith

bobby johnstone, the passing of an age by john leigh

having a ball by eddie turnbull

hibs dream team by pat stanton

sunshine on leith by simon pia

from the cowshed to the kop by peter cormack

budgie by john burridge

theres only one sauzee by ted brack

the game on new years day by ted brack

the hibernian miscellany by bobby sinnet

at easter road they play by john campbell

when george came to town by john munro

we are hibernian by andy macvannan

hibernian from baker to turnbull by tom wright

the hibs story by mike wilson

hibernian players and managers by jim jeffrey

hibernian greats by jim jeffrey

the making of hibernian volume one by alan lugton

the making of hibernian volume two by alan lugton

the making of hibernian volume three by alan lugton

these colours dont run by derek dykes

hibs boy by andy blanche

the hibs history handbook by maurice dougan

fat freddy
04-04-2013, 06:42 PM
ok..i'll start the list...feel free to add any books i've missed

100 years of hibs by gerry docherty and phil thomson

the hibees by john mackay

hibernian, the easter rd story by john mckay

the quiet man by pat stanton

hibernian in the days of the famous 5 by tom wright

life and times of last minute reilly by lawrie reilly

gordon smith, prince of wingers by tony smith

bobby johnstone, the passing of an age by john leigh

having a ball by eddie turnbull

hibs dream team by pat stanton

sunshine on leith by simon pia

from the cowshed to the kop by peter cormack

budgie by john burridge

theres only one sauzee by ted brack

the game on new years day by ted brack

the hibernian miscellany by bobby sinnet

at easter road they play by john campbell

when george came to town by john munro

we are hibernian by andy macvannan

hibernian from baker to turnbull by tom wright

the hibs story by mike wilson

hibernian players and managers by jim jeffrey

hibernian greats by jim jeffrey

the making of hibernian volume one by alan lugton

the making of hibernian volume two by alan lugton

the making of hibernian volume three by alan lugton

these colours dont run by derek dykes

hibs boy by andy blanche

the hibs history handbook by maurice dougan

just noticed this one....

fallen idol by peter marinello

thats a nice round 30 so far.

Miguel
04-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Noticed no one has included novels that mention Hibs, obviously including the Irvine Welsh and Rebus stuff, but also more off the wall books like 'The Delaneys of Edinburgh', a historical novel by Patricia Delaney-Dishon that includes an amazing recreation of our first Scottish Cup win. Great read by itself too.

stu in nottingham
05-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Another for the list.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/TheHibbyPirate/agoram.jpg

fat freddy
05-04-2013, 01:52 PM
talking of goalies we also have..

the rough with the smooth by alan rough.

in the firing line by jim leighton.

33 and counting..

Iggy Pope
05-04-2013, 04:34 PM
34. HIBERNIAN GREATS - Stewart Brown

35. THE HIBERNIAN QUIZ BOOK - Jim Hossack

36. HIBERNIAN FC THE WAR YEARS 1939-46 - Brian Mark (More of a Handbook, but enlightening none the less. 52 pages. It has an ISBN and reproductions of wartime programmes and clippings that are as scarce as rocking horse *****)

Future17
09-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Noticed no one has included novels that mention Hibs, obviously including the Irvine Welsh and Rebus stuff, but also more off the wall books like 'The Delaneys of Edinburgh', a historical novel by Patricia Delaney-Dishon that includes an amazing recreation of our first Scottish Cup win. Great read by itself too.

My mum is the author and wanted to say:

"Thanks Miguel for your enthusiastic response to the book The Delaneys of Edinburgh. I hoped the book would be of interest to anyone interested in life in ‘Little Ireland’ during Canon Hannan’s time as it is based on a true story.

It can be bought from the book stall in St. Patrick’s Church cost £9.99 with a donation from each book to St. Pat’s Restoration Fund. Also available on Amazon. Thanks."

:flag:

Glesgahibby
09-04-2013, 10:03 AM
"there is a bonny fitba team" Ted Brack :aok: