PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Fraser (Aberdeen) rejects new contract

Part/Time Supporter
07-12-2012, 02:00 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20645018

Aberdeen winger Ryan Fraser has rejected a new contract at Pittodrie.

The 18-year-old has been a regular in Craig Brown's side so far this season, making 16 appearances.

His current deal runs out in the summer and Fraser will be able to talk to clubs in the New Year with a view to joining for the start of next season.

"The club made the player the best offer they possibly could and it's very disappointing that he has chosen to see his future elsewhere," said Brown.

Compensation would be due to Aberdeen if Fraser agrees a move for the start of season 2012-13. However, the Dons may choose to sell the player next month should a suitable offer be made.

"It was indicated to the club that Ryan believes he is ready to play at a higher level than the SPL and I have to say I think that is the wrong decision," Brown added on the Aberdeen website.

"He would be far better to continue to learn his trade here with Aberdeen and I only want players here who are 100% committed to Aberdeen Football Club."

Although this is "good" for Hibs in the sense that Aberdeen are now going to lose one of their better players, I think this is a continuation of a bad and very worrying trend for Scottish clubs. Young player breaks into the first team, plays a handful of games well and then decides that they are far too big for the SPL and should be earning proper dosh playing for an EPL reserve team (if they're lucky).

Imagine the effect on Hibs a few years back if Brown et al had decided to clear off after less than a year in the first team. Teams are going to question the point of youth development if its better products are going to leave ASAP.

Mikey
07-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Spot on. Player power is bad news for the vast majority of clubs.

edinburghhibee
07-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Yes they are losing out on the lad, but clubs will not give up on youth development as regardless whoever wants him will have to pay for him as he is under 23/24 yo

Spike Mandela
07-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Jim McLean had the right idea when it came to giving youth players contracts.

Part/Time Supporter
07-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Yes they are losing out on the lad, but clubs will not give up on youth development as regardless whoever wants him will have to pay for him as he is under 23/24 yo

Aye they will get a fee, but nowhere near as much as they would have made if he had signed another contract and they had sold him after 3-4 years in their first team (and possibly got into the Scotland squad).

Diclonius
07-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Aberdeen have lost at least three young players before they were first team regulars in the last couple years. We haven't lost any, despite finishing in around the same positions they have. Caldwell and Handling also signed new contracts last year despite interest from elsewhere.

I would question the quality of Aberdeen's youth system in actually encouraging youngsters to stay there rather than the whole "oh no doom and gloom everything to do with Scottish football is *****" line.

Leishy1995
07-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Aberdeen have lost at least three young players before they were first team regulars in the last couple years. We haven't lost any, despite finishing in around the same positions they have. Caldwell and Handling also signed new contracts last year despite interest from elsewhere.

I would question the quality of Aberdeen's youth system in actually encouraging youngsters to stay there rather than the whole "oh no doom and gloom everything to do with Scottish football is *****" line.

Maybe they just hate living in Aberdeen..

VickMackie
07-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Maybe they should try and tie the good ones up on extended contracts with automatic payrises after a set amount of games to entice them to stay longer.

Billychaotic182
07-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I don't think it helps that Aberdeen train at a public sports centre. He might want a club that has there own like we have. But I hate this whole billy big time attitude. It's a total lack if respect or his own club who gave him the opportunity to play. And then to give it "I'm to good for the Spl" when he has parely even made a mark on Scottish football. Players like him always crash and burn. We see it all to often. Goodwillie, Scott Allen, Chris Maguire and so on.

Part/Time Supporter
07-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Dundee United had the same problem with Scott Allan.

Piqué
07-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Dons fans are raging about this. They are probably partly to blame as they bigged him up far too much for a player who has hardly played 20 games. More than likely went to his head.

Also the story from a fan in the know is they only offered him £400 a week. Bit of a joke compared to what he could get in England.

Bishop Hibee
07-12-2012, 02:54 PM
I don't think Fraser is doing himself any favours. Even Kenny Miller stayed with us until he was 20 and the move to oldco didn't do his career much good although he would have been on a healthy cut of the £2m fee and a fat salary.

Money v career - sadly with agents involved money will win every time.

Hibercelona
07-12-2012, 02:55 PM
It's all about encouragement and getting the young lads into the correct mind set IMO.

Yes, they could go and rot in the reserves somewhere else and be paid a decent fee for it. But the clubs here need to take some responsibility for this and find ways of encouraging players to stay a while longer, so that they may get a better shot down south or elsewhere when they're ready to take that leap.

Great training facilities and great management can go a long way in encouraging young players to stay longer and improve on their abilities.

SMAXXA
07-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Cheeky we bid from hibs :-)

Golden Bear
07-12-2012, 03:10 PM
I sometimes wonder if the way ahead is to widen our scouting network and look to recruit players of the age and ability of Paul Cairney.

If Clubs are not going to financially benefit from the investment that they put into youth development then I wouldn't be surprised if some of them scrapped or cut back on their coaching schemes.

Hopefully Ryan Fraser is not a typical example and other youngsters will choose to stay at their "home club" for a few years prior to looking for a move elsewhere.

However at the end of the day ---------- money talks.

hibeemikey21
07-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Can hardly blame the lad. His agent will be in his ear telling him he could be on £X thousand per week, with a large signing on bonus, playing on a bigger stage.

Couple that with the (remote) possibility of his career being over in the next challenge made on him and these opportunities being lost.

I know what I would have done when I was 18.

jacomo
07-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Can hardly blame the lad. His agent will be in his ear telling him he could be on £X thousand per week, with a large signing on bonus, playing on a bigger stage.

Couple that with the (remote) possibility of his career being over in the next challenge made on him and these opportunities being lost.

I know what I would have done when I was 18.

We have no idea what offer was on the table from Aberdeen so it's hard to comment. But an agent rarely has their client's interests at heart... I hope the boy is getting good advice from someone. It seems very naive to think he can leave Aberdeen at 18 and conquer the world.

Jones28
07-12-2012, 03:23 PM
That's a couple of youngsters Aberdeen have lost because of this sort of thing. You have to give credit to blobby Williamson for getting the likes of occonor et al 4/5 year contracts :agree:

ballengeich
07-12-2012, 03:24 PM
When the Bosman judgment was first made Douglas Cromb expressed the opinion that Hibs would have to look at abandoning their youth development scheme if they were no longer able to fund it from transfer fees for the successful graduates. A club which didn't spend money on young players could well put itself at a financial advantage relative to its competitors. It would be bad for the longer term interests of the game though.

Hibercelona
07-12-2012, 03:24 PM
We have no idea what offer was on the table from Aberdeen so it's hard to comment. But an agent rarely has their client's interests at heart... I hope the boy is getting good advice from someone. It seems very naive to think he can leave Aberdeen at 18 and conquer the world.

Should the manager not be that "some one" to help steer them in the correct direction?

It just seems to me that we're too quick to blame players in this country, but not the people who are failing to give them the correct guidance.

Golden Bear
07-12-2012, 03:26 PM
When the Bosman judgment was first made Douglas Cromb expressed the opinion that Hibs would have to look at abandoning their youth development scheme if they were no longer able to fund it from transfer fees for the successful graduates. A club which didn't spend money on young players could well put itself at a financial advantage relative to its competitors. It would be bad for the longer term interests of the game though.

:agree:

I totally agree.

StarMan10
07-12-2012, 03:26 PM
The number of cases like this is becoming worrying. Why go down to England and sit in the reserves when you can be playing first team football which will benefit your career. Off the top of my head i cannot think of a success story of a player going to England at 17,18 etc and it being of significant benefit to themselves.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Maybe they just hate living in Aberdeen..

Spot on absolutely Baltic - nice people tho'.

Lived there for a year on student placement. One night it was so cold I it woke me up and that was with jogging bottoms, 2 layers of tops, gloves and my Hibs scarf tucked in as a hat like wee willie winkie (I wasn't getting any that night).

Seagulls the size of an albatross - worked in The ASCo tower (neon sign that flips between time and how Baltic it is) next to the fish markets got away without being dumped on until the final week and they say it's lucky!

Viva_Palmeiras
07-12-2012, 03:47 PM
The number of cases like this is becoming worrying. Why go down to England and sit in the reserves when you can be playing first team football which will benefit your career. Off the top of my head i cannot think of a success story of a player going to England at 17,18 etc and it being of significant benefit to themselves.

On the otherhand we would slate folks for lack of ambition going to the OF (to sit in the reserves).

Pretty Boy
07-12-2012, 04:06 PM
On the otherhand we would slate folks for lack of ambition going to the OF (to sit in the reserves).

I think to some extent choosing to go and sit in the reserves anywhere shows a lack of ambition.

Two examples immediately spring to mind. Scott Allan and Danny Wilson. Both are at EPL clubs but have they really learned more playing reserve football or playing a few games on loan at lower league clubs than they would have had they remained in Scotland for another couple of years playing regular first team football? As far as I'm aware Allan is yet to play a 1st team game for West Brom and Wilson plays the odd league cup game.

Whilst financial security is obviously desirable surely it has to be balanced against the fact these 2 have quite posssibly set their career back a couple of years. Had Wilson remained at Rangers for another couple of seasons he would more than likely be an international regular by now.

StarMan10
07-12-2012, 04:10 PM

Agree completely. Don't know why more young players look to fletcher as an example of leaving when you're abit older brings more success. I know his agent and himself were trying to engineer a move to celtic before we sold him but i bet he's glad he never got his way.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Didn't Aberdeen have a player last season that did much the same? Went to Wigan(??) but hasn't kicked his ain erch since??

Part/Time Supporter
07-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Didn't Aberdeen have a player last season that did much the same? Went to Wigan(??) but hasn't kicked his ain erch since??

Fraser Fyvie. He's played in the grand total of three League Cup games (two as sub) for Wigan. Oh, the glamour.

cad
07-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Jim McLean had the right idea when it came to giving youth players contracts.

Jim McLean is a c...,a baldy odious bullying little fu...r ask Nid about his contract wi Dun Utd

Jones28
07-12-2012, 06:54 PM

Fraser Fyvie. He's played in the grand total of three League Cup games (two as sub) for Wigan. Oh, the glamour.

Remember jack grimmer? Went to Fulham and not heard ofsince

Tinribs
07-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Jim McLean is a c...,a baldy odious bullying little fu...r ask Nid about his contract wi Dun Utd

I think he was being sarcastic mate :wink:

JMc and the Duncan Ferguson thing is what i suspect he was alluding to.

givescotlandfreedom
08-12-2012, 01:57 AM
He'd be better staying at the sheep botherers and proving himself. So far he's nothing but a prospect .

Just_Jimmy
08-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Maybe its more to do with aberdeen than scottish football. We manage to look after our kids.

Paw brown is a dinosaur, maybe they feel football today has passed him by.

Paisley Hibby
08-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Apparently he was immense against Celtic a few weeks ago. So not hard to guess the "elsewhere" he sees his future at. :cb

Leishy1995
08-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Hibs should be looking at him though

Frazerbob
08-12-2012, 12:08 PM
The story up here is that he was offered a basic wage of £400 per week. If that's true then who can blame the lad for knocking it back!

Fraser Fyvie and Chris McGuire have both left the SPL too soon and their carreer's have died a death. I hope Ryan Fraser stays in the SPL, he is a cracking wee player.

500miles
08-12-2012, 01:05 PM
The story up here is that he was offered a basic wage of £400 per week. If that's true then who can blame the lad for knocking it back!

Fraser Fyvie and Chris McGuire have both left the SPL too soon and their carreer's have died a death. I hope Ryan Fraser stays in the SPL, he is a cracking wee player.

Most of these young laddies go down south, get training with the club, and the coaches get the measure of them. Few 16-19 will be expected to be up to the athetic standard of the Prem, so they get lower Championship clubs after a spell in thier own academies. Fyvie and Fraser will do well, but Maguire was never the player he was made out to be. He was riding on the crest of a wave after his goal against Iceland, but he's probably playing at as high a level as he ever will right now. He's a striker will about a 1 in 8 goal ratio after over 100 appearances at the dons.

The guys that go down south will learn more from the senior players and staff than they would ever up here. If they're not good enough, they'll just end up finding their level back up here again.

Jim44
08-12-2012, 01:14 PM

Peter Marinello was about 20 and had quite a few games under his belt when he went to Arsenal but he's one of the few young players I can remember showing signs of making the grade down there. If he'd kept his nose clean, he could have been a real hit.

jabis
08-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Peter Marinello was about 20 and had quite a few games under his belt when he went to Arsenal but he's one of the few young players I can remember showing signs of making the grade down there. If he'd kept his nose clean, he could have been a real hit.

Darren Fletcher @ Man Utd ?

jdships
08-12-2012, 01:18 PM

You can add agood few more over the years :thumbsup::agree:

Golden Bear
10-12-2012, 04:27 PM
It's not often I agree with Pa Broon but he's spot on here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20669997

Ozyhibby
10-12-2012, 04:52 PM
He's an old git but he is spot on here.

johnbc70
10-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Remember jack grimmer? Went to Fulham and not heard ofsince

Never heard of him! But I guess emphasis the point if the thread, these young guys leave too early.

LeighLoyal
10-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Sevco are sniffing at him according to the Hun, don't know how that can be when they are banned until Jan 2014.

He's KB'd 2k a week according to the main Sheep site. Wee ****** if true.

Billy Whizz
10-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Sevco are sniffing at him according to the Hun, don't know how that can be when they are banned until Jan 2014.

Can they not sign players under a certain age? What age is Fraser?

Eyrie
10-12-2012, 07:28 PM

Because they can sign free agents on 1 September 2013.

The ban only extends until the end of the summer transfer window which means that they can approach players during the summer and agree terms with them, but can't actually sign or register them until the window is closed.

And they can sign anyone under 18 today, but Fraser is 18 which rules him out.

LeighLoyal
10-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Because they can sign free agents on 1 September 2013.

The ban only extends until the end of the summer transfer window which means that they can approach players during the summer and agree terms with them, but can't actually sign or register them until the window is closed.

And they can sign anyone under 18 today, but Fraser is 18 which rules him out.

So much for the two window ban then. I knew they could sign under 18's. I think Celtic will nip ahead of Sevco anyway, bad one for the Sheep as he's a right good prospect.

easty
11-12-2012, 07:55 AM

No danger they've offered him £2k a week. He's barely kicked a ball.

Speedy
11-12-2012, 08:59 PM
I don't feel sorry for them, they will punt many players of a similar age.

It's the risk they take by not having enough faith in certain players.

hibeemikey21
11-12-2012, 10:05 PM
No danger they've offered him £2k a week. He's barely kicked a ball.

19 games. Kicked a few.

They will be more aware of his talent and potential than anyone else. Lose him for sweeties or pay him a decent wedge and get a big fee for him? Makes sense.

Phil MaGlass
12-12-2012, 09:03 AM
The more players teams like Aberdeen and Inverness lose the better. Roll on the window and February, hopefully we are able to hold on to our players.