PDA

View Full Version : 2020 European Championship to be held over numerous countries

Diclonius
06-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Everywhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20631963

And not so neutral either - the top 12 seeds from those who qualify get to host, with no one else even getting a look in.

"As the European Championship expands from 16 to 24 teams starting with Euro 16, half of the qualified teams would be seeded and serve as host countries. A team is seeded if it qualifies and is ranked in the top 12 in Europe. The 12 seeded teams - two from each group - would host the group stage and round of 16. The quarterfinals would be played at a neutral venue, and the semifinals and final would be played in a 13th city."

Ritchie
06-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Very Interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20631963

hfc rd
06-12-2012, 04:51 PM
It definitely is going to be an interesting experiment.

Pretty Boy
06-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Would that mean one country would play all their games in one city/country?

You surely couldn't have say France playing a group game in Madrid then Vienna then Warsaw? Be a logistical nightmare for fans.

Ritchie
06-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Would that mean one country would play all their games in one city/country?

You surely couldn't have say France playing a group game in Madrid then Vienna then Warsaw? Be a logistical nightmare for fans.

i'd imagine they'd try and keep a group playing in two cities of different countries which are close by, i.e. London & Cardiff or Porto & Madrid.

Central Europe is pretty easy to get around by train to be fair - will need to be planned well though.

Renfrew_Hibby
06-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Not read the story yet but it would be interesting and would allow smaller poorer countries to become part of the event. For example instead of Bulgaria having to build 4 statia and all the add on logistical stuff which they never could afford all they need do is build 1 stat of the art venue and they are in. Such as Romania had done this year and Hungary is doing next year.
All smaller/poorer countries from north to south, east to west will have a state of the art venue... except Scotland, we'll make do with the abismal Hampdump for years to come.

Ross4356
06-12-2012, 05:14 PM
they are doing everything to get the biggest nations past the group stages so they can get mre money. I ****ing hate Platini

Diclonius
06-12-2012, 05:18 PM
they are doing everything to get the biggest nations past the group stages so they can get mre money. I ****ing hate Platini

:agree:

It really is pathetic. Football makes as much money as it is but any opportunity to even give a bit back to the fans is ignored. FIFA, UEFA and everyone else can honestly lose the money involved in maybe making it a bit fairer for "wee" countries to have a fair shot at getting through or maybe see a game in their own country and not even notice.

VickMackie
06-12-2012, 06:03 PM
I take that as Glasgow could have a chance at getting the finals.

Haymaker
06-12-2012, 06:05 PM
What a **** idea.

nonshinyfinish
06-12-2012, 06:11 PM
What a **** idea.

:agree:

Aside from the standard UEFA 'make sure no big teams go out' stuff, it ruins the 'football tournament as summer holiday' concept. Sure, you could pick one of the group host countries, but it's hardly the same as fans from all over the shop descending on one country for some hi-jinks.

Jones28
06-12-2012, 08:04 PM
A good idea in principle - spreading the tournament about - but to only give games to seeded teams in the top 12 is ridiculous!

down-the-slope
06-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Change needed as fewer countries could afford to host...spreading around if fine..but this now sounds like Champions league for nations...make sure big boys / sponsorship and money is all prioritised

Glory Lurker
06-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Good grief, it's like Game 39....

The reason that the tournament is so expensive to host is because it's been expanded so much that you need to build loads of stadia and make sure you've got the infrastructure to move supporters from loads of teams all about the place.

Of course, it's been expanded to increase the TV draw - it's been expanded to make more cash. I thought the 24 team idea was ridiculous enough (even if this offers Scotland a whiff of a chance of scraping in), but now that this seems to be the "logical" conclusion of having that many teams just takes the biscuit.

It'll never happen, but get it back to a smaller competition and you've got most of Europe either able to host it by itself or in conjunction with neighbours. Top level football really is starting to eat itself.

SteveHFC
07-12-2012, 12:01 AM
**** idea :rolleyes:

.Sean.
07-12-2012, 12:21 AM
**** idea. The Euro's are fine as they are.