PDA

View Full Version : On This Day Dec 1979

Kojock
06-12-2012, 11:10 AM
On this day: George Best coming out of the tunnel for the beginning of Hibs v Partick Thistle at Easter Road in December 1979.
A crowd of over 20,000 turned up for Best's home debut. Hibs won 2-1.

I was wondering who the guy with the ball in front of Benny was.

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Not fit to lace Ally MacLeod's boots. :greengrin

Killiehibbie
06-12-2012, 11:43 AM
On this day: George Best coming out of the tunnel for the beginning of Hibs v Partick Thistle at Easter Road in December 1979.

I was wondering who the guy with the ball in front of Benny was.Is it Jackie Mac

Corstorphine Hibby
06-12-2012, 11:44 AM

Check out the retro ' turn dial ' phone in the dug out. It used to take a full two minutes to dial 999 on them......

Keith_M
06-12-2012, 11:50 AM
I was on the main terracing that day, as per usual, beside the segregation fence and just in front of the walkway dividing the top and bottom of the terracing. It was the first time I'd been in a 'sway' on a terrace. Actually, probably the LAST time as well :wink:

Lucius Apuleius
06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I missed it, I was at sea after having been married in the September. That is also where we used to stand, in fact pretty sure one of my mates is there. Just trying to imagine what he looked like all these years ago. :greengrin Ginger Rice will confirm if it is the Italian Stallion for me.

wookie70
06-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Biggest 20k crowd I was ever in. Big terracing was very busy.

Topographic Hibby
06-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I was on the main terracing that day, as per usual, beside the segregation fence and just in front of the walkway dividing the top and bottom of the terracing.
Snap!! The exact spot I was at as well. Was it really 23 yrs ago today? Gettin' old...!!

hibsbollah
06-12-2012, 04:20 PM
That was my first ever Hibs game, my 9th Birthday present. Never forget it:aok:

Theres a good chance I was one of the fair haired scamps just to the right of the policeman's heid, but i can't be 100%

Killiehibbie
06-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Snap!! The exact spot I was at as well. Was it really 23 yrs ago today? Gettin' old...!!You're even older than you think :greengrin

YehButNoBut
06-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Snap!! The exact spot I was at as well. Was it really 23 yrs ago today? Gettin' old...!!

You are getting old it was 33 years ago :wink:

Remember being on the main terrace for the game was great to see the great man in a Hibs jersey, I saw most of his games for us and although the legs had gone his football brain was miles ahead of our lot, he was still great to watch.

Unforunately it did not stop us getting relegated that season. :boo hoo:

hibby al
06-12-2012, 04:32 PM
I missed it, I was at sea after having been married in the September. That is also where we used to stand, in fact pretty sure one of my mates is there. Just trying to imagine what he looked like all these years ago. :greengrin Ginger Rice will confirm if it is the Italian Stallion for me.

i see my brother david q if thats who you mean gordon
would never have guessed from the italian stallion bit

AlbertK86
06-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Remember the game well and like mentioned earlier the sway of the crowd on the east terrace was fantastic

Great commentary by the announcer every time Best got the ball

Still looked a class act even though he had slowed up

Kojock
06-12-2012, 04:37 PM

Ehh!! Your even older than you thought as it was 33 years ago. :wink:

Lucius Apuleius
06-12-2012, 04:38 PM
i see my brother david q if thats who you mean gordon
would never have guessed from the italian stallion bit

:greengrin I meant Mario mate, but if David is there then it probably is Mario as well. Must look again.

hibby al
06-12-2012, 04:40 PM
:greengrin I meant Mario mate, but if David is there then it probably is Mario as well. Must look again.

that makes more sense you can see his baw face in the middle and a shock of blonde hair back when he had some :greengrin

Golden Bear
06-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Genius, pure genius.

I feel very privileged to have seen the guy play in a Hibs jersey. The skill was still there, the football brain was still there, but his fitness had all but disappeared. He was however still vastly superior to anyone else on the field of play. He was a visionary signing by Tom Hart and there must be thousands of Scottish fitba' Fans who are eternally grateful to have had the opportunity to see a true legend of the game.

:not worth

Baldy Foghorn
06-12-2012, 05:27 PM

I was taken to this match by a neighbour at the time....I also recollect vaguely seeing George Best at Love Street, when we were hammered 5-0......

I also slightly remember seeing Best at the Tiny Pigsty when we were playing a cup tie, possibly against Meadowbank (Memory hazy as I was 7, however I remember my Neighbour's excitement when Best was signed)......:cb

Kojock
06-12-2012, 05:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVT-cgqKJsE

His second goal for Hibs.

It was stated at the time he was on £2000 per game paid for by the chairman Tom Hart. Guys like Jackie Mac were on about £120 per week.

.Sean.
06-12-2012, 05:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVT-cgqKJsE

His second goal for Hibs.

It was stated at the time he was on £2000 per game paid for by the chairman Tom Hart. Guys like Jackie Mac were on about £120 per week.

How much are these figures in 'todays money' and what were average earning like for a footballer in those days?

Topographic Hibby
06-12-2012, 07:08 PM
You are getting old it was 33 years ago :wink:

Oops! :doh:

Bill Milne
07-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Not fit to lace Ally MacLeod's boots. :greengrin

Do you mean "not fit to eat Ally's pies"?

Part/Time Supporter
07-12-2012, 09:43 AM
How much are these figures in 'todays money' and what were average earning like for a footballer in those days?

Hard to compare really, as football inflation (particularly at the top end) has increased much more than general economy. In general terms, £2000 in 1979 would be like £8000 now, but in football terms it would have been one of the biggest weekly wages in the UK.

heretoday
07-12-2012, 09:45 AM
I was in the old North Enclosure just to the right of the tunnel with my late brother-in-law, a fanatic Hearts fan. He was definitely wanting Partick to win but like everyone else was also in thrall to Bestie.

Golden Bear
07-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Hard to compare really, as football inflation (particularly at the top end) has increased much more than general economy. In general terms, £2000 in 1979 would be like £8000 now, but in football terms it would have been one of the biggest weekly wages in the UK.

It was more akin to an appearance fee as nobody could be really sure when he would turn out!

:wink:

trev the hat
07-12-2012, 10:07 AM
I was taken to this match by a neighbour at the time....I also recollect vaguely seeing George Best at Love Street, when we were hammered 5-0......

I also slightly remember seeing Best at the Tiny Pigsty when we were playing a cup tie, possibly against Meadowbank (Memory hazy as I was 7, however I remember my Neighbour's excitement when Best was signed)......:cb

I remember this one very vividly, one of the first times i recall going to a game on my own, 10yr old :rolleyes: Those were the days.
The place stunk like a cesspit & still does. I,m sure my old PE teacher was playing for Thistle, Bobby Ford.(thinking twice he played much later)

26-Jan 1980 Meadowbank Thistle 0 -1 Hibernian Scottish Cup 3rd Att: 8,415

Team:McArthur Brazil Lambie Paterson Stewart McNamara Callachan McLeod Higgins Campbell Best Subs: Murray Hutchison Scorer: Callachan

wookie70
07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
My old PE teacher was in goals for the Hibs

kennyh
07-12-2012, 10:33 AM
My second ever game was V Rangers and I am sure Best played and Hibs won 2-1 shorly after he joined us.

I was 11 and sat with my dad in the South Stand full of them. We had no hassles though, my dad was offered several drams from the bears hip flasks as I sat there and cheered Hibs on with my hat scarf and gloves on. I can't imagine sitting among them now with my son when they eventually do get back to the LSS.

mim
07-12-2012, 10:39 AM
I was in the old main stand (North) that day. Sitting in the row behind me were 6 St Mirren supporters who had come to see Best again, after seeing his debut at Love Street the week before. Tom Hart wisnae daft. :wink:

johncrobertson@
07-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Alan Rough and Alan Hansen were playing for Partick on GB's home debut. Great expectation from a crowd that was around double the normal.

lapsedhibee
07-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Check out the retro ' turn dial ' phone in the dug out. It used to take a full two minutes to dial 999 on them......

Au contraire. Those phones dialled out at 10pps (pulses per second) and the three digits would have taken no more than 30 seconds to complete dialling. Watching Ally McLeod must have distorted your perception of time/distance/speed.

Baldy Foghorn
07-12-2012, 04:52 PM
I remember this one very vividly, one of the first times i recall going to a game on my own, 10yr old :rolleyes: Those were the days.
The place stunk like a cesspit & still does. I,m sure my old PE teacher was playing for Thistle, Bobby Ford.(thinking twice he played much later)

26-Jan 1980 Meadowbank Thistle 0 -1 Hibernian Scottish Cup 3rd Att: 8,415

Team:McArthur Brazil Lambie Paterson Stewart McNamara Callachan McLeod Higgins Campbell Best Subs: Murray Hutchison Scorer: Callachan

Nice one thanks for the line up........What a team:flag:

PatHead
07-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Remember before a match taking my wee brother along to the newly opened tyre place at Piershill. His wife Angie was there as well and she was a very pretty woman.

The crowd v Patrick was far larger than the official attendance as the place was really crowded apart from the visitors end.

Bostonhibby
07-12-2012, 09:17 PM

Great memories, can't you stretch the photo a couple if inches to the right? I know that I was in my usual spot that day with a few others, complete with their own hair and teeth - happy days.

Bostonhibby
07-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Remember before a match taking my wee brother along to the newly opened tyre place at Piershill. His wife Angie was there as well and she was a very pretty woman.

The crowd v Patrick was far larger than the official attendance as the place was really crowded apart from the visitors end.

:agree:They had a raffle, my mother won it and Besty presented her with the prize - can't remember what it was but it's true!

Iggy Pope
07-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Au contraire. Those phones dialled out at 10pps (pulses per second) and the three digits would have taken no more than 30 seconds to complete dialling. Watching Ally McLeod must have distorted your perception of time/distance/speed.

Post of the day. Well informed and concise. No question.
:not worth

Billy McKirdy
07-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Great memories, can't you stretch the photo a couple if inches to the right? I know that I was in my usual spot that day with a few others, complete with their own hair and teeth - happy days.

Ditto :greengrin but to the left for me :wink:

What an amazing time to be a Hibby :thumbsup:

jacomo
07-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Before my time but thanks for posting it.

Great photo. :thumbsup:

Bukta#8
07-12-2012, 10:17 PM
i was at his first game against st mirren at love st,was only 10 so my big brother took me through on the MB branch bus , pity we missed his goal as we alredy left