PDA

View Full Version : Question for Edinburgh Hibernian fans

SkintHibby
05-12-2012, 10:13 PM
You meet someone from Edinburgh (who's parents are from Edinburgh) and they tell you they support the old firm, can you take them seriously?

I'm have no ties to Edinburgh (I'm as old as the Livingston town I live in) but decided a long time ago to support the only big non-sectarian football club within 50 miles.

Strangely, if an Edinburgh punter tells me he follows the old firm, I simply palm him off as a glory hunter and decide to quickly change the subject.

Diclonius
05-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Back in the day driving into Edinburgh for home games (raised in Carnoustie) through the north of the city the amount of Rangers tops I saw was striking.

JIm
05-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Following the old firm is an easy choice.

I really have no time for the majority of east coast old firm fans who are clearly in it for the glory and the bigotry.

YehButNoBut
05-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Never understood why people from Edinburgh would want to support a team from Glasgow, apart from the glory hunting & bigotry.

Just think how much better off Hibs & Hearts would have been in their history if Edinburgh footie fans followed either, quite sad really. :agree:

7 Hills
05-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I once worked beside a guy who was an Edinburgh dweller born and bred who supported Celtic. Knowing of my affiliation to Hibs, he started telling me about how he had a soft spot for us as his Dad was a Hibee. "What happened to you then?" I asked. He hummed and hawed and finally said that Hibs "weren't Catholic enough" for him... :rolleyes:

Since90+2
05-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Seriously who cares. Let people support whoever they want.

Jones28
05-12-2012, 11:19 PM
I knew a couple of guys at school - one was a Celtic fan who's dad was Glaswegian but followed Patrick thistle. The other was a Celtic fan who had no ties whatsoever to Glasgow. Both born and bred Edinburgh guys who followed Celtic. One of them only saw Celtic if they played at Easter road!

clerriehibs
05-12-2012, 11:21 PM
It's unfair to generalise ... there's an awful lot of weejies live & work through here.

hungryhibs
05-12-2012, 11:22 PM
When a was younger back when a was at school my old man was a celtic fan but a started going to my dads friends who then took me to games then bought me my 1st strip then my old man started taking me to games now u ask him what team he supports and he will tell u am a hibby through and through

lucky
05-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Never understood why you have to support your local team. What difference does it make? I brought up in Edinburgh nearer the PBS that ER and now stay in West Lothian bit Hibs daft. We all follow our team for different reasons. Location is one of them but not the only one.

Saorsa
05-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Never understood why you have to support your local team. What difference does it make? I brought up in Edinburgh nearer the PBS that ER and now stay in West Lothian bit Hibs daft. We all follow our team for different reasons. Location is one of them but not the only one.Correct but we ken the two main reasons most follow the OF and location certainly isnae one of them.

Hibrandenburg
05-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Know afew guys who claimed to be Celtic fans when we were at school but are now apparently Hibbies. Only one who went the other way but he was always a tit.

Scouse Hibee
05-12-2012, 11:29 PM
You meet someone from Edinburgh (who's parents are from Edinburgh) and they tell you they support the old firm, can you take them seriously?

I'm have no ties to Edinburgh (I'm as old as the Livingston town I live in) but decided a long time ago to support the only big non-sectarian football club within 50 miles.

Strangely, if an Edinburgh punter tells me he follows the old firm, I simply palm him off as a glory hunter and decide to quickly change the subject.

Yes if they attend the games and actually support the team. There's a fair mix of Hibees and Jambo's in my work who will proudly tell you who they support without ever going near the ****in ground of either team! I have absolutely no problem with anyone that actually attends to support any team they wish.

clerriehibs
05-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Know afew guys who claimed to be Celtic fans when we were at school but are now apparently Hibbies. Only one who went the other way but he was always a tit.

Years ago, I knew a Hibby from Piershill who became a jambo when he was 20 ... maybe not really SO difficult, but he was a Catholic. That should mean nothing whatsoever in a football context, but I've no idea how he could put up with the bile at tinnycastle.

Cabbage East
05-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Nope.

No time for plastics. Laughable excuse for a man.

Hibercelona
05-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Years ago, I knew a Hibby from Piershill who became a jambo when he was 20 ... maybe not really SO difficult, but he was a Catholic. That should mean nothing whatsoever in a football context, but I've no idea how he could put up with the bile at tinnycastle.

Sounds like a fat tub of lard I know who just loved scoring against us! :grr:

Teuchter Hibbie
05-12-2012, 11:54 PM
As someone who moved away from Edinburgh and lived up north on the Moray coast for a number of years, I found it irritating to be surrounded by supporters of the OF in places like Elgin, Buckie and Forres, who had no connection to Glasgow, or indeed either side of the religious divide. Often, their parents had no affiliation with the Glasgow teams either, but were guilty of "glory-hunting" and drumming that support of the OF into their children.

sparky
06-12-2012, 12:03 AM
As I went to primary school in the 80s, my class included a few Aberdeen/Dundee Utd fans with no attachment to the North East. Glory hunting is natural for kids who don't have a strong influence on them to support a team (e.g. Dad, Grandad taking them along).

Now I fear that this has moved to supporting EPL teams instead and Scottish football is suffering as a result.

PatHead
06-12-2012, 12:03 AM

I knew one from Porty who did the same at roughly the same age. He emigrated to NZ later so doubt he follows either now. nitials were GF not the same guy?

iwasthere1972
06-12-2012, 12:07 AM

Totally agree. Glory hunters. Simple as that. Imagine if someone born in Scotland with Scottish parents supported Brazil or Spain. Same thing.

SteveHFC
06-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Dalkeith is full of the gloryhunting *******s :aok:

Speedy
06-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Dalkeith is full of the gloryhunting *******s :aok:

Far too many Rangers fans for my liking.

SteveHFC
06-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Far too many Rangers fans for my liking.

:agree:

MrSmith
06-12-2012, 01:24 AM
I find it ridiculous! As do most of my Glaswegian colleagues! However, my missus is from Wishaw (says it all really!) and when we first started going out, I saw a side of things that made me feel really sorry for the likes of Motherwell, Hamilton and to a lesser extent Airdrie! The glory hunting within the South Lanarkshire area is quite unbelievable. if most of them supported their local team then, these 'provincial' clubs would be in much better shape. I live in the Inch and the amount of Celtic fans living here is appalling! No harm to them because some of them are rational and can explain why. The 'not catholic enough' comes into it a lot as does the my family were from the old country ... but your names Evans??? Stunning at times! Can't understand nor fathom it myself so, just have to change the subject and pretend its not real!!

jakki
06-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Hibs fans also have to take the blame!

My hubby took my son to the first ever HibsKid game. They were in the old enclosure under the main stand and a bottle was thrown from that main stand and hit the wee lad directly in front of my lad. My lad eewas covered with blood from the head wound of that other wee laddie. My hubby vowed that he'd never take a kid to another football game. My kids grew up to be celtic supporters and my grandkids go to Parkhead.

How things might be different!

Diclonius
06-12-2012, 01:44 AM
When a was younger back when a was at school my old man was a celtic fan but a started going to my dads friends who then took me to games then bought me my 1st strip then my old man started taking me to games now u ask him what team he supports and he will tell u am a hibby through and through

Similar story myself - my Dad was a Celtic fan from Cumbernauld but I chose to support Hibs and he ended up taking me to games. Now he's as big a Hibs fan as myself and hates Celtic's guts. :aok:

DAVE1875
06-12-2012, 02:02 AM
It's a mess up here aswell, can't go a day without seeing someone wearing one of the OF jerseys or jackets (or any other merchandise for that matter.) Usually they're the sort of people who'll have their birthday meal in Greggs.

What I find worse than OF fans with no ties to the club or Glasgow is fans who you've seen supporting a different team from the OF, then suddenly they switch their allegiance to one of the OF teams and will come up with all the excuses under the sun to not be labelled a Glory Hunter

Juice-Terry
06-12-2012, 04:04 AM
Being Swedish and having moved to Scotland, the first side I ever saw at home (or anywhere for that matter) was Hibs. It was love at first sight. Silly, but there you go....

Steviie
06-12-2012, 06:50 AM
To be honest I might get abuse for this post but I don't really care because I will explain. My mother is from Edinburgh and she was born into a catholic family. Raised catholic in her mind she is catholic. Now my farther he was born in the west. Was born into a Protestant family and raised Protestant, in his mind he is a Protestant. Well my mother is a hibs fan and my father is a rangers. Notice something here ? My parents are both separate religions and there is no hatred (obviously) we have been brought up to be Christian and we are free to have what ever faith we may want. I admit it I like rangers. But that's where it stops I dislike the religious hate the anger the abuse. Just as I hate the celtic views as well singing about the ira and what not. I dislike them as a football club because I have grew up not to like them (just as I have grew up not to like hearts) I hate hearts just as much as I hate celtic. I like hibs. But I wouldn't say I am a supporter of hibs or rangers because I do not attend games. (Plus it is hard to attend games when I live in Ayr) I like hibs more than rangers because I have in the past been to more games and jut had a better feeling supporting them rather then singing about the queen. But I like rangers for there history in football not there songs or views on other country's or views on or clubs out there. I love hibs and to an extent love rangers but as far as loyalty I it's hibs. Because I was born in Edinburgh, and by the way I'm not a glory hunter I like rangers because of my family tie with the club. That's all. I hope anyone that reads this understands why and are not quick to judge

GGTTH

Peevemor
06-12-2012, 07:02 AM
My dad (hibee) took my brother, who is 7 years older than me, to his first match et ER which happened to be against celtc. Celtc won, my brother preferred them and it stuck. My brother's not daft, he's not a plastic paddy, he's not pro IRA, he's not a glory hunter, he simply made an unfortunate choice as a bairn.

hibs4thecup1988
06-12-2012, 07:09 AM
When I was growing up at school the amount of Rangers and Celtic fans was nauseating. It was actually quite good to sit and speak with (dare I say it!) jambos at the time!

I understand the ones that parents are Old Firm. But not the ones that just latched on. Scary to think how may should be Hibs fans! :confused:

Pete
06-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Even the ones who's parents support the old firm...they were probably glory hunters too. There just aren't that many people originally from Glasgow.

It's the easiest thing in the world supporting one of them. You are actually worse in my opinion if you are from Perth and actively support one of them. At least the armchair glory boy isn't contributing financially to the demise of their local team.

football is dying due to TV, the premiership and glory hunters of all kind. The day we simply accept it and say that we can unabashedly support anyone we like is the day to pack it in. For non champions league clubs anyway.

lord bunberry
06-12-2012, 07:48 AM
I think most people support the team that their father supports. It is really annoying seeing all theses o/f fans from edinburgh who never go to see their team but you would hope that if they had kids they might let them choose their local team it might take a bit of time but i think it will gradually swing back in our favour

Pretty Boy
06-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Most of the OF fans I know generally have a decent enough reason to support the team. Most have parent or grandparents from Glasgow so have just supported who the family support, same as me really.

Really anyone who makes the effort to go to games when they can is ok by me, obviously for guys who live abroad or whatever that's not possible.

The people who really piss me off are the increasing number of my mates who 'support' United, City, Chelsea or Arsenal. They will then sit in the pub and pontificate about how crap Scottish football is without having been near a game in about 10 years. It's the pub loudmouth OF fans i can't stand.

poolman
06-12-2012, 08:35 AM
To be honest I might get abuse for this post but I don't really care because I will explain. My mother is from Edinburgh and she was born into a catholic family. Raised catholic in her mind she is catholic. Now my farther he was born in the west. Was born into a Protestant family and raised Protestant, in his mind he is a Protestant. Well my mother is a hibs fan and my father is a rangers. Notice something here ? My parents are both separate religions and there is no hatred (obviously) we have been brought up to be Christian and we are free to have what ever faith we may want. I admit it I like rangers. But that's where it stops I dislike the religious hate the anger the abuse. Just as I hate the celtic views as well singing about the ira and what not. I dislike them as a football club because I have grew up not to like them (just as I have grew up not to like hearts) I hate hearts just as much as I hate celtic. I like hibs. But I wouldn't say I am a supporter of hibs or rangers because I do not attend games. (Plus it is hard to attend games when I live in Ayr) I like hibs more than rangers because I have in the past been to more games and jut had a better feeling supporting them rather then singing about the queen. But I like rangers for there history in football not there songs or views on other country's or views on or clubs out there. I love hibs and to an extent love rangers but as far as loyalty I it's hibs. Because I was born in Edinburgh, and by the way I'm not a glory hunter I like rangers because of my family tie with the club. That's all. I hope anyone that reads this understands why and are not quick to judge

GGTTH

:rolleyes: :bitchy:

Steve20
06-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Why are people so obsessed with people supporing their local team? So what if people want to support Rangers or Celtic? They're not forcing you to support them.

The 'glory hunting' line that gets trotted out all the time is a bit pathetic, tbh.

Hibs On Tour
06-12-2012, 08:57 AM
TBH why should we give a flying one why anyone else supports anyone else? They do and that's an end to it. Not worth wasting any time thinking about, debating over and certainly not worth giving it yet another 'uber-fan' type thread IMHO...

The Sea-gull
06-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Folk can support who they want it is a free country.

Personally, I can't see why anyone would support a team that wasn't:-

1. Their local team or a team local to somewhere they spent their formative years.

or

2. Influenced on them by family/friends.

Find it curious why, for example, someone living in Dundee would choose to support anyone other than Dundee or Dundee United if neither of the above applied to them.

The one I definitely can't get my head round is folk who change their team. I understand kids doing this or even someone doing this if they settle in an area far from wher their original team plays but I am sure we all know people who have inexplicably changed their team at some point during their teenage or even adult life.

I know someone who was a Hibby as a kid and now supports Celtic. I know someone who was a Hun till he was about 18 and then changed to be one of the biggest jambos going. There is even someone I know who has supported Rangers (primary school) then Hibs (secondary). Haven't seen or heard about him for a few years but heard from some else that he was on a Hearts bus and in the Hearts end at the cup final.

Another lad supported Rangers till he was about 14 and then became Hibs. That one I can understand!

worcesterhibby
06-12-2012, 09:13 AM
I have a Rangers fan to thank for making me a Hibby. None of my family were into football, so when I started Primary School I didn't support anyone, neither did my mate Dougal. One of the lads in my class was a big rangers fan with a typical bully mentality. He came up to us and asked us who we supported. We both hummed and hawed so he laughed at us and said I supported Hibs cos I was a smelly, catholic loser (I'm not actually catholic, and didn't really know what it meant at the time, I was only 6) and told Dougal he was a Hearts fan cos he was fat and thick. For some reason we both decided to stand up to him and said we did support Hibs and Hearts cos we were from Edinburgh which was better than supporting some bunch of Bully's from Glasgow just cos "yer dad tells you too".

We were well proud of ourselves for standing up to him and amazingly it defined both our teams for the rest of our lives.

jdships
06-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Why are people so obsessed with people supporing their local team? So what if people want to support Rangers or Celtic? They're not forcing you to support them.

The 'glory hunting' line that gets trotted out all the time is a bit pathetic, tbh.

Hibs on Tour
TBH why should we give a flying one why anyone else supports anyone else? They do and that's an end to it. Not worth wasting any time thinking about, debating over and certainly not worth giving it yet another 'uber-fan' type thread IMHO...

:agree::thumbsup:
'glory hunting' is not just an OF thing - it happens all over the world and in most team sports
Don't see why we should get so hot and bothered about it
Remember that we have supporters who do not live in or around Edinburgh and travel to games - what do you call them ?
Certainly ' not glory hunters' :greengrin

J-C
06-12-2012, 09:50 AM
I understand the family thing but to not support your local team is still not right. My dad was born in Glasgow and was a Rangers fan, I grew up in the colonies at the Links and was always a Hibby, due to all my mates going to the games as kids. My dad even arranged mates of his from the pub to lift me over the turnstiles but I see even more kids walking around nowadays with OF tops on, mostly glory hunters

Wellbankhibby
06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
I understand the family thing but to not support your local team is still not right. My dad was born in Glasgow and was a Rangers fan, I grew up in the colonies at the Links and was always a Hibby, due to all my mates going to the games as kids. My dad even arranged mates of his from the pub to lift me over the turnstiles but I see even more kids walking around nowadays with OF tops on, mostly glory hunters

Cant agree with you. I am from Dundee and support Hibs, I have done since I was 8 years old.
It dosn't matter a jot where you come from or where you live. I have followed Hibs since the late 60's Early 70s and watched Turnbulls tornadoes as the song says 'The Best Brand Of Football The Worlds Ever Seen'. I was born in the mid 50s and missed out on seeing the famous five but Eddie's team will do for me. I cant see me moving away from this area but I can Definately say I will ALWAYS follow the Hibees. :flag:

lord bunberry
06-12-2012, 02:10 PM

Do you not think that it would be a much more level playing field if everyone supported their local team. Surely teams like killie motherwell and Hamilton would be stronger if they had more fans at their games

superfurryhibby
06-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Growing up in Edinburgh in the 70's it was all Hibs or Hearts supporters un my class. In Leith, where I lived it was almost exclusively Hibs. When my eldest son started the school, in the early 1990's it had shifted enormously. Loads of bairns supporting the HUns. Media exposure played a huge part in that shift, even when the dads were mostly Jambo's (this was at Sciennes).

--------
06-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Do you not think that it would be a much more level playing field if everyone supported their local team. Surely teams like killie motherwell and Hamilton would be stronger if they had more fans at their games

It would, but you can't force people to support teams they don't want to support.

If I went by all the posts in this thread saying "Follow your local team", I'd be at New Broomfield every second Saturday.

Or maybe Motherwell if I were looking for SPL football.

It's natural for kids to want to follow teams that win games. It gets really depressing and unpleasant if you're the only guy in your class supporting Hibs, and they're in the middle of a spell when they're losing most weeks, and the Rangers and Celtic fans in your class are on your case the whole time. (It's not very nice if you're an adult and this is happening at work, either.)

So when kids change teams, it's understandable.

For myself, however many times I've come away from a game vowing, "NEVER AGAIN!" there's something inside me that makes me a Hibee and will go on making me a Hibee until I die. But that was my choice back in the day, and I stand by it. I DO feel a bit guilty about inflicting 25 years of pain and disappointment on my son, though.

DH1875
06-12-2012, 03:28 PM

What about all us glory hunting Hi-bees :greengrin who live in the West, especially the ones who live in weegie land.

Support who you want :aok:.

Keith_M
06-12-2012, 03:57 PM
I now feel ashamed as I don't follow MY local team. :embarrass

I guess I should be a Bayern fan but the glory hunter in me makes me want to support Hibs...............

J-C
06-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Cant agree with you. I am from Dundee and support Hibs, I have done since I was 8 years old.
It dosn't matter a jot where you come from or where you live. I have followed Hibs since the late 60's Early 70s and watched Turnbulls tornadoes as the song says 'The Best Brand Of Football The Worlds Ever Seen'. I was born in the mid 50s and missed out on seeing the famous five but Eddie's team will do for me. I cant see me moving away from this area but I can Definately say I will ALWAYS follow the Hibees. :flag:

fair enough, I've always been of the opinion you should support your local team unless it's a family thing, difference with you is it's not a glory hunting thing, you liked what you saw and followed that team.

Diclonius
06-12-2012, 04:01 PM
My next door neighbour has absolutely no ties with Edinburgh and started supporting Hibs in the days of the Famous Five. I daresay he's a glory hunter. :bitchy:

I was born in Longstone so I guess I don't really have any ties with Hibs either. :greengrin

yeezus.
06-12-2012, 04:13 PM

I've been called a glory hunter before. I'm from Stranraer - where 90% of people support the Rangers. I started supporting Hibs after watching them draw with Stranraer in the League cup (0-0).

Just because you are born in a barn, it doesn't make you a horse.

*Also, when I'm called a glory hunter I reply "What glory am I hunting".

SwanseaHibs
06-12-2012, 04:22 PM
I am a Hibs fan who was born in Glasgow yet my older siblings, all of whom were born in Edinburgh, support Celtic. They all live in Glasgow now and became Celtic fans, I presume, due to Celtic being successful in the late 60's and early 70's.

I became a Hibs fan off my own back, I think because I liked the strip when I was young. No family reason to be a Hibs fan. My dad (a Celtic fan) was good enough to take me to see Hibs on occasion until I was old enough to go on my own. I met most of my current mates through watching Hibs, the guys I grew up with being either Celtic or Rangers fans.

Canny understand why you'd support the OF if you came from Edinburgh except for the success thing.

lord bunberry
06-12-2012, 04:23 PM
It would, but you can't force people to support teams they don't want to support.

If I went by all the posts in this thread saying "Follow your local team", I'd be at New Broomfield every second Saturday.

Or maybe Motherwell if I were looking for SPL football.

It's natural for kids to want to follow teams that win games. It gets really depressing and unpleasant if you're the only guy in your class supporting Hibs, and they're in the middle of a spell when they're losing most weeks, and the Rangers and Celtic fans in your class are on your case the whole time. (It's not very nice if you're an adult and this is happening at work, either.)

So when kids change teams, it's understandable.

For myself, however many times I've come away from a game vowing, "NEVER AGAIN!" there's something inside me that makes me a Hibee and will go on making me a Hibee until I die. But that was my choice back in the day, and I stand by it. I DO feel a bit guilty about inflicting 25 years of pain and disappointment on my son, though.

I agree with what your saying of course you can't force people to support their local team but the bit i find frustrating is when old firm fans from edinburgh complain about the state of scottish football or refer to the other teams as the diddy clubs you have to ask yourself who's fault is that

Greendub
06-12-2012, 04:30 PM
I've always said old firm fans from the burgh are glory hunting *******s

SwanseaHibs
06-12-2012, 04:39 PM

That's fine except I don't want to support any of the teams close to where I grew up. I grew up in the West End of Glasgow so the closest teams to me were Partick Thistle, Clydebank or Rangers.

I go to watch Swansea on the odd occasion, although not easy getting a ticket. I lived in Oldham in the mid 90's and watched them if I wasn't at Hibs games.

Hibs On Tour
06-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Obviously. But there's absolutely no point wishing for something that simply is never gonna happen. And, as others have pointed out, by definition that would mean by the same logic that we couldn't accept any fans from elsewhere. Its a wishy-washy idea that just isn't very well thought-out or based in reality.

SwanseaHibs
06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Fans of successful clubs are often questioned as to why they support the teams they do despite living miles away from that club and the usual outcome is that they are "glory hunters".

Fans of less fashionable or successful clubs who live miles away are often lauded. Who would you think more of - a Man Utd fan from Brighton or a Brighton fan from Manchester?

jane_says
06-12-2012, 09:57 PM
When I was growing up at school the amount of Rangers and Celtic fans was nauseating. It was actually quite good to sit and speak with (dare I say it!) jambos at the time!

I understand the ones that parents are Old Firm. But not the ones that just latched on. Scary to think how may should be Hibs fans! :confused:

There were (including me) 4 Hibs fans in my year at school, probably about 60 Hearts fans and around 15 Rangers/Celtic fans and they got some abuse. No one took them seriously and I distinctly remember Hearts fans preferring us to beat Rangers and Celtic.

Pretty meuch all of my mates were jambos and there was banter between us but they had a genuine disdain for OF supporters

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-12-2012, 10:15 PM
You have to define " supporter" as against "follower". The Berwick Rangers fan that turns up midweek to a Ramsdens Cup tie at Elgin City is supporter. The Celtc fan that sits dans le boozer in his six year old top havering pash about tradition while not missing a game, on TV, is a follower.

Renfrew_Hibby
06-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I know people should support their local side but its football and emotions we're talking about so common sense goes out the window.
I'm an Ayrshire boy who now lives in the Paisley area with no connections to Edinburgh or Hibs. Im 34 and have been a Hibby for at least 25 years and a season ticket holder for 18 of those.

For what its worth i watched Ayr in my school days with mates and still keep an eye on how they're getting on. Would love them in the SPL one day but can't ever see it happening. Since my move to Renfrewshire and marrying into a St.Mirren family i have a (very slight) soft spot for them and watched a air bit of them in their 1st Div days. They do a grand job in the local community and are a real genuine, non biggoted bunch. Fantastic wee club and a cracking set of fans!

So many kids follow the Old Firm due to the exposure they get its the same in most other countries and thats just the way it is. Kids will drift away and follow Man Utd and City now for the same reasons even Barcelona or Real Madrid because they get more exposure and hype with each year that passes.

I'm just glad i fell for the Hibs my primary school years.

Big Frank
06-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Any rangers or celtic fan from edinburgh is a fanny.

Infact, any celtic or rangers fan from anywhere is a fanny.

blindsummit
06-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Not only do I not take them seriously, I despise them! They are either bigots or glory hunters.

Sean1875
06-12-2012, 10:50 PM
I stay on the west side of Edinburgh, so I suppose geographically I should be a yam? However, my dad and one of my uncles are Hibs fans (the other uncle is a Partick man, god knows why :greengrin) and got taken to my first Hibs game a good few years back by my uncle (Badabing who posts on here, blame him :aok:), remember we were playing Motherwell and we were a bit late to the game, but literally as soon as I walked out the tunnel and into the stand Hibs scored, knew it was love from then on!

Saturdays Hero
06-12-2012, 10:55 PM
My father supports the Gers,has done all his life,he has no interest in the religious venom that follows them & currently thinks they're a laughing stock,but thats his team & he aint gonna change them now,though he was delighted when we won on Sunday & is always happy to see Hibs do well for no other reason than I support them.

hibIBZ
06-12-2012, 11:29 PM
from the borders and always been a hibs fan through family and hibs being closest professional team. cant stand the legions of OF fans down here esp rangers fans who love to tell you how great a club they are and how much rangers mean to them as they have supported them man and boy where most of them have never been to glasgow let alone a match. yet they have all the merchandise and force their kids to be the same

FifeHibernian
06-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Doesn't really bother me when folk support other teams, just makes me happy when they're hibees.

surreyhibbie
06-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Born and brought up in Musselburgh, started supporting Hibs Cos my mate was one and being older, used to take to games. I suppose if he had been a yam I might have been as well. Thank **** for Pete Gray.

None of my family were interested in football, I was basically the first. Never got the religious keech, all my mates are school were non catholic, some Hibs, some Hearts and a few Rangers fans, but no Celtic.

Through the local Hibs Supporters club I met my best mate who just happened to be a Catholic, and to date is the only one of my circle of Hibbies who is a catholic as far as I know. To be honest I really don't give a **** one way or the other. There is good and bad everywhere.

To me it has always been about my local team, and never about religion or anything else.

Kenny1875
07-12-2012, 08:34 AM
My dad was like this. He's from Edinburgh and so were his parents but supported Rangers because his uncle took him to the matches regularly. I've converted him to a Hibs fan though!

Miguel
07-12-2012, 05:12 PM
According to Alan Lugton's books, Hibs used to have quite a big support in Glasgow and the west, even after Celtic came on the scene. Used meet a guy at away matches who came from a Hibs family in Alexandria and rarely went to home games. I suppose my roots are Old Town Irish Hibs. But that's no more valid than Leith Hibs, or Niddrie Hibs, or indeed Gorgie Hibs. Know Hibs fans who came from Rangers, Aberdeen and even Hearts families, or families with no affiliation. Known Catholic, Protestant, Sikh and athiest fans. Known Hibs fans who were right wing Tories and others who were Communists. It's a melting pot, as Blue Mink put it!

fatbloke
07-12-2012, 05:30 PM

:faf:

Keith_M
07-12-2012, 05:42 PM
.....Known Hibs fans who were right wing Tories ....... It's a melting pot, as Blue Mink put it!

Sorry, but in that particular instance the expression you're looking for is a Tosspot :wink:

Miguel
07-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Ha ha. Aye maybe do!

Dashing Bob S
07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
For all their considerable foibles, I prefer a Yam to an OF glory hunter. At least you can take them seriously as proper football supporters. Like the OP I just can't be arsed talking to professional celebrators and confused bigots about football. It's like trying to have a discussion on art or politics with an idiot.

Bostonhibby
07-12-2012, 06:14 PM
For all their considerable foibles, I prefer a Yam to an OF glory hunter. At least you can take them seriously as proper football supporters. Like the OP I just can't be arsed talking to professional celebrators and confused bigots about football. It's like trying to have a discussion on art or politics with an idiot.

Can I just say that everyone I know and care about supports Hibernian from Edinburgh. The Midlothian team that does not have and never did have Edinburgh in it's name is in its death throws, and anyone who lives in the city but prefers to support an OF team are welcome to them.

For me the difference between the modern day Yam and Hun generally is how "Big" their they think they are - these days its measured by debt and brass neck.............

GGTTH

yeezus.
07-12-2012, 08:36 PM
According to Alan Lugton's books, Hibs used to have quite a big support in Glasgow and the west, even after Celtic came on the scene. Used meet a guy at away matches who came from a Hibs family in Alexandria and rarely went to home games. I suppose my roots are Old Town Irish Hibs. But that's no more valid than Leith Hibs, or Niddrie Hibs, or indeed Gorgie Hibs. Know Hibs fans who came from Rangers, Aberdeen and even Hearts families, or families with no affiliation. Known Catholic, Protestant, Sikh and athiest fans. Known Hibs fans who were right wing Tories and others who were Communists. It's a melting pot, as Blue Mink put it!

The Making of Hibernian is a great book - hard to get a hold of as well I believe.

NAE NOOKIE
07-12-2012, 09:17 PM
For the vast majority of folk who support the 'successful' clubs its all about the cups and titles ... end of story.

I will believe that isnt true when bus loads of folk leave Kilmarnock, Ayr, Dundee or Edinburgh heading for Dunfermline or Partick or Motherwell on a Saturday.

Aye ..... Ye can support who you like .... but at least be honest about why. If it was coz yer dad supported celtic / rangers then he was a glory hunter before you and its up to you to redress the balance and make things right.

:slipper: