PDA

View Full Version : It's Spoony's Goal

Mikey
03-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I checked with the club as it had a bearing on our first goalscorer competition............

Sorry for the delayed response, but I've just been informed by the SFA that David Wotherspoon has been credited with the goal

Many thanks

:flag:

lord bunberry
03-12-2012, 04:26 PM
So does that mean i will get paid by the bookies

Jim44
03-12-2012, 04:27 PM
I've got a vested interest too. Who makes the official decision for the bookies?

iwasthere1972
03-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Great news. Wouldn't want the Yams to think we won the match by being lucky.

FifeHibernian
03-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Yaas! So much better that it was given to spoony

Pretty Boy
03-12-2012, 04:30 PM
I've got a vested interest too. Who makes the official decision for the bookies?

Think the bookies go with the press association.

Mikey
03-12-2012, 04:35 PM
You might get confirmation here sometime........

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1957

Or Hibs might run a story on it.

mim
03-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Think the bookies go with the press association.

Ladbrokes paid out on 'no goalscorer', so it's an og as far as they are concerned.

Mikey
03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Ladbrokes paid out on 'no goalscorer', so it's an og as far as they are concerned.

If the SFA or Hibs say otherwise officially then would you expect them to cough up?

mim
03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
If the SFA or Hibs say otherwise officially then would you expect them to cough up?

No. They have already paid out and ain't going to do it twice. :rolleyes:

Mikey
03-12-2012, 05:16 PM

Cheeky monkeys!

lord bunberry
03-12-2012, 05:16 PM

Its a joke I've seen loads of goals scored from a deflection not been given as an own goal

mim
03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Cheeky monkeys!

Here is the rule:

"Where there is a dispute concerning who scored the first (or last) goal in a match, bets will be settled according to the official result passed by the Press Association (PA).
If we believe that the result of the First Scorer is unclear, we reserve the right to withhold all payments for one working day following the match to allow for clarification by the PA. Any amendment made by the PA after this period will be ignored for settlement purposes."

........ so I suppose there could be a change before tonight, but according to their results section it is an OG.

Mikey
03-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Here is the rule:

"Where there is a dispute concerning who scored the first (or last) goal in a match, bets will be settled according to the official result passed by the Press Association (PA).
If we believe that the result of the First Scorer is unclear, we reserve the right to withhold all payments for one working day following the match to allow for clarification by the PA. Any amendment made by the PA after this period will be ignored for settlement purposes."

........ so I suppose there could be a change before tonight, but according to their results section it is an OG.

:aok:

cabbageandribs1875
03-12-2012, 05:27 PM
i'm totally amazed that it's not officially an OG, from the amount of replay's i've watched it looks like the ball is going a good bit to the left following the shot (hence McDonald following the flight of the ball and diving away to his right) anyway...still 1-0 :fenlon:flag:

p.s. anyone else see that MK dons winning goal yesterday...now that was class :greengrin

ancient hibee
03-12-2012, 05:30 PM
What's it got to do with the SFA anyway?

Going well wide-if he meant it as a shot he needs some practise.

jodjam
03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
What's it got to do with the SFA anyway?

Going well wide-if he meant it as a shot he needs some practise.

Scottish cup is run by the sfa

Jim44
03-12-2012, 05:44 PM
It was 12/1 for a Spoony first goal. What sort of odds would you likely get for an own goal?

lord bunberry
03-12-2012, 05:48 PM
It was 12/1 for a Spoony first goal. What sort of odds would you likely get for an own goal?

you dont get odds for an own goal but if you bet on there being no goalscorer you would win

_hucks_
03-12-2012, 05:50 PM

For goalscorer betting purposes, own goals are treated as if they don't exist.

steakbake
03-12-2012, 06:04 PM
1-0 Hibs, Zaliukas to score first... imagine such a bet.

LancashireHibby
03-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Said all along it was a deflection rather than a definite connection so should have been Spoony's from the start.

CallumLaidlaw
03-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Here's what Ladbrokes are saying to me -

I have just looked at the official result and also checked two other sources. The only goal in the game was an own goal scored by Zaliukas on the 84th minute. Please find the link to bbc webpage for further clarification. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20483951

I trust this clarifies the matter.

lord bunberry
03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Here's what Ladbrokes are saying to me -

I have just looked at the official result and also checked two other sources. The only goal in the game was an own goal scored by Zaliukas on the 84th minute. Please find the link to bbc webpage for further clarification. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20483951

I trust this clarifies the matter.

it doesnt really clarify anything when the sfa is giving the goal to wotherspoon which means it will go down in all offical records as spoonys goal. It is a real grey area when it comes to betting as it can come down to peoples opinion of a goal rather than absolute fact

CallumLaidlaw
03-12-2012, 08:39 PM
it doesnt really clarify anything when the sfa is giving the goal to wotherspoon which means it will go down in all offical records as spoonys goal. It is a real grey area when it comes to betting as it can come down to peoples opinion of a goal rather than absolute fact

Unfortunately barring the article on the hibs website, I can't find anywhere else that is giving the goal to Spoony.

lord bunberry
03-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately barring the article on the hibs website, I can't find anywhere else that is giving the goal to Spoony.

the sun gives it to wotherspoon so did live scores yesterday

Mikey
03-12-2012, 09:29 PM

Try this.............

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20121203/d-on-goal-and-draw_2262950_2999353

CallumLaidlaw
03-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Try this.............

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20121203/d-on-goal-and-draw_2262950_2999353

Tried using that in my email but the BBC link was their reply. I have replied saying that these reports were immediately after the match, and the SFA have credited Wotherspoon with the goal since then. No reply yet.

Mikey
03-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Tried using that in my email but the BBC link was their reply. I have replied saying that these reports were immediately after the match, and the SFA have credited Wotherspoon with the goal since then. No reply yet.

You're definitely right. I wonder if there's anywhere you can escalate it to if they hold their ground.

mim will know :greengrin

jonty
03-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Off topic....
The east stand looks packed to capacity in that photo :thumbsup:

Sammy7nil
03-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Ask them as the "Hibernian Stadium Bookie" to make an ex-gratia payment as a sign of goodwill.
The cheats had Hibs at 5/4 yesterday and only 2/1 for Leigh to score and Hibs to win when 7/4 for a win only was freely available elsewhere.

The Press association result can be changed with in 24 hours according to their own rules so they should have waited on confirmation. This is a scandal they have cleaned up What % of people bet no goal scorer when watching a match? I bet they could not pay out quickly enough on OG

Jim44
03-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Ask them as the "Hibernian Stadium Bookie" to make an ex-gratia payment as a sign of goodwill.
The cheats had Hibs at 5/4 yesterday and only 2/1 for Leigh to score and Hibs to win when 7/4 for a win only was freely available elsewhere.

The Press association result can be changed with in 24 hours according to their own rules so they should have waited on confirmation. This is a scandal they have cleaned up What % of people bet no goal scorer when watching a match? I bet they could not pay out quickly enough on OG

Thye wouldn't/couldn't have paid out as quickly as they could. The Ladbroke office on Easter Road told me that no payment would be made on Stadium bets until Monday. The guy was able to tell me with a smile that Wotherspoon had not been credited with the goal.

Sammy7nil
03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Thye wouldn't/couldn't have paid out as quickly as they could. The Ladbroke office on Easter Road told me that no payment would be made on Stadium bets until Monday. The guy was able to tell me with a smile that Wotherspoon had not been credited with the goal.

even more reason to challange their decision :cb

Ultrabee1-0
03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
I went to the coral 1/15 for spoony to score first stuck a fiver on went to the bookie's after the game was down as a og so chucked the bet away? Is there a way I can go back and discuss my isue?

Saorsa
04-12-2012, 12:01 AM
I went to the coral 1/15 for spoony to score first stuck a fiver on went to the bookie's after the game was down as a og so chucked the bet away? Is there a way I can go back and discuss my isue?Drinking and gambling? bad habits for somebody who is 16 :greengrin

Ultrabee1-0
04-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Drinking and gambling? bad habits for somebody who is 16 :greengrin
Its not a habbit its just at the weekends I have a few & stick a coupon on and first goal scorer of the hibs game each week!

Lucius Apuleius
04-12-2012, 05:26 AM
Its not a habbit its just at the weekends I have a few & stick a coupon on and first goal scorer of the hibs game each week!

Sounds like a description of a habit to me :wink:

jgl07
04-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Said all along it was a deflection rather than a definite connection so should have been Spoony's from the start.

The key question is: was the original shot on target?

If it was off-target then it's an own goal.

Steve-O
04-12-2012, 10:02 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4677912/Hibernian-1-Hearts-0.html

Sun says Wotherspoon :agree:

worcesterhibby
04-12-2012, 10:07 AM
The key question is: was the original shot on target?

If it was off-target then it's an own goal.

Almost impossible to tell..it may have been curling. If Roberto Carlos's free Kick against France had been deflected half way to the goal it would have looked like it was an off target shot. (However I am willing to admit that if it had been a Kujabi shot then it would have been off target:greengrin)

Ultrabee1-0
04-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Has anyone been to the bookie's and got there winning's yet?

FastEddieFelson
04-12-2012, 12:35 PM
any reputable bookies will pay out on wotherspoon. the cashier in the shop might tell you the bet's a loser, but the company itself would rather keep their customer happy and pay you your £50 or whatever. if at first they say no, tell them you'll make a complaint and they should pay you out.

FastEddieFelson
04-12-2012, 12:41 PM
I went to the coral 1/15 for spoony to score first stuck a fiver on went to the bookie's after the game was down as a og so chucked the bet away? Is there a way I can go back and discuss my isue?

yes - go in to the same bookies and tell them when you placed the bet and they'll be able to look it up. as i said above, they should pay out on wotherspoon FGS.

Ultrabee1-0
04-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks mate!

FastEddieFelson
04-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks mate!

no worries. if at first they play hard ball, just ask them for their customer service number and take it up with coral over the phone. it might not come to that though - maybe take proof with you that some sources (i.e. the SFA) have credited the goal to spoony, and that might be enough for them to settle it for you in the shop.

CallumLaidlaw
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Right, been on the phone to Ladbrokes customer services and they ain't playing. I asked to complain and they've told me to raise it with IBAS.

Mikey
04-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Right, been on the phone to Ladbrokes customer services and they ain't playing. I asked to complain and they've told me to raise it with IBAS.

If you've got the time and inclination you should pursue it. They're clearly in the wrong and need to review their rules.

CallumLaidlaw
04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
If you've got the time and inclination you should pursue it. They're clearly in the wrong and need to review their rules.

I mentioned that they settled the bet straight away when they should've allowed time for it to be reviewed for 24 hours and they just said it obviously wasn't a dubious goal. Said theyd had a few enquiries about same thing but decision was final.
It's only £40 winnings but I think I'll contact IBAS. Nothing to lose.

FastEddieFelson
04-12-2012, 03:16 PM

definitely.

Mikey
04-12-2012, 03:22 PM
I mentioned that they settled the bet straight away when they should've allowed time for it to be reviewed for 24 hours and they just said it obviously wasn't a dubious goal. Said theyd had a few enquiries about same thing but decision was final.

Sammy7nil
04-12-2012, 04:53 PM

It was obvious to a blind man this goal would be disputed so using their own rule they should have waited 24 hours. Make sure you follow this up let us know how you get on.

Ultrabee1-0
04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I got barred from coral in leith just the now they never had any of it I got a customer service number tho:)!

_hucks_
04-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Bookies wont pay. They'll pay a lot of things to keep customers happy but not something that flies in the face of their rules. The rules are fair as well, they use the press association, and will have paid up on no goalscorer, and would have paid on first goalscorer on whoever had scored after. Its not done to fleece people, its to have a uniform standard for bet settlement. And as for the guy getting barred from a shop, sounds to me like they've overstepped the mark trying to get paid out. THe staff aint there to take abuse from irate punters.

FastEddieFelson
04-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Bookies wont pay. They'll pay a lot of things to keep customers happy but not something that flies in the face of their rules. The rules are fair as well, they use the press association, and will have paid up on no goalscorer, and would have paid on first goalscorer on whoever had scored after. Its not done to fleece people, its to have a uniform standard for bet settlement. And as for the guy getting barred from a shop, sounds to me like they've overstepped the mark trying to get paid out. THe staff aint there to take abuse from irate punters.

depends who you get served by, at the end of the day. a manager in a betting shop is able to use their discretion for disputes such as this, unfortunately the lads at the leith coral obviously aren't seeing it that way.

if i had money on wotherspoon first goalscorer, i'd be pissed off too if they didn't pay out. i'm baffled that it's even been considered an OG.

erin go bragh
04-12-2012, 10:32 PM
I had a £10 on Griffiths first goal at the local corals ,got my £10 back on mon about 4pm before the goal was credited to Wotherspoon ,pretty shocking if some bookies are refusing to pay out first goal DW :grr: like they dont make enough profit already .

ggtth

Jim44
04-12-2012, 10:50 PM
I had a £10 on Griffiths first goal at the local corals ,got my £10 back on mon about 4pm before the goal was credited to Wotherspoon ,pretty shocking if some bookies are refusing to pay out first goal DW :grr: like they dont make enough profit already .

ggtth

Sorry to be pedantic but are you saying that, with Corals, if there is no goalscorer, all bets are off and cash is returned to the punters? If that's not the case, how did you get your cash back?

_hucks_
05-12-2012, 12:00 AM
depends who you get served by, at the end of the day. a manager in a betting shop is able to use their discretion for disputes such as this, unfortunately the lads at the leith coral obviously aren't seeing it that way.

if i had money on wotherspoon first goalscorer, i'd be pissed off too if they didn't pay out. i'm baffled that it's even been considered an OG.

I suppose one or two might, but discretion isnt there to fly in the face of settling practise. I say that as a betting shop manager myself.

Sammy7nil
05-12-2012, 01:09 PM

Totally agree abusing staff is 100% wrong they are only doing their job.
However the bookies can payout if they wish, in their own rules it states Press Association reslut does not need to be taken in the event of a disputed goal scorer they can wait 24 hours for clarification. Now I see this as a BLINDLY OBVIOUS case that would be disputed so why payout on 0 - 0 ? The cynical me would suggest there were far fewer bets on 0 - 0 / no goalscorer than there were on Spoony. Ladbokes as the stadium bookie imho should make an ex-gratia payment to all Spoony backers as a sign of good will.

Ladcrookes as they are known were offering 5/4 a Hibs win and 2/1 a hibs win wth Leigh to score at anytime. This is nothing short of theft imho when 7/4 a hibs win was freely availble elsewhere.

If ladcrookes refuse to payout I hope Hibs fans boycott their stadium outlets.

CallumLaidlaw
19-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Guys, just to let you know, I've just checked my ladbrokes account and the winnings for this was added to my account yesterday. Case won :flag:

Mikey
19-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Guys, just to let you know, I've just checked my ladbrokes account and the winnings for this was added to my account yesterday. Case won :flag:

Jim44
19-12-2012, 05:52 PM

I had a few quid on Wotherspoon in the stadium and still have the ticket. Are they now paying out on it?

CallumLaidlaw
19-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Well I went through the independent betting tribunal, but someone on Facebook said they'd just won their appeal. Dunno which bookie they were with tho

FastEddieFelson
19-12-2012, 06:58 PM

good to hear

lord bunberry
19-12-2012, 07:23 PM
I had a bet with hills in their shop in leith walk and they said the press association decision was final

Northernhibee
19-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Not won a single bet all season so just before the game I put 50p on that lot to win to curse them.

You're all very welcome.

:flag:

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2012, 08:57 PM
I had a few quid on Wotherspoon in the stadium and still have the ticket. Are they now paying out on it?

Me too, is it now worth presenting the slip to Ladbrokes to claim winnings?

CallumLaidlaw
19-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Me too, is it now worth presenting the slip to Ladbrokes to claim winnings?

Possibly. Ladbrokes told me they had had a few challenges the same as I did, and they had sent them all to IBAS, so maybe a different story now

CallumLaidlaw
20-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Here's the email I got from IBAS today -

Further to correspondence between IBAS and Ladbrokes, the company advise that on revisiting your complaint they have credited your account with the relevant funds of £37.50.

However this is a discretionary gesture from Ladbrokes and should not be seen as them setting a precedence in future disputes of this nature.

I trust this now resolves your complaint and thank you for using the Service.