PDA

View Full Version : Tom English on Anthony Stokes

Jim44
03-12-2012, 07:11 AM
I remember recently reading here about the pros and cons of Stokes coming to ER on loan. Would we really want this baggage?

From the Scotland on Sunday: by Tom English

ALL of his life, Anthony Stokes has been mixing in the sort of company that would stun you into silence. In his circle of friends in Dublin the Celtic striker has some of the city’s most notorious criminals, some of whom are, or were, members of the Real IRA, the terrorism splinter group that oppose the peace process in Northern Ireland and who see anybody who has turned away from violence as some kind of sell-out or “Judas”, as one of Stokes’ most hardcore mates put it a while back.

That mate was Alan Ryan, who is now dead. As he walked through the streets of north Dublin on 3 September, Ryan was shot in the body, the legs and the head by a masked gunman. Ryan was the Real IRA’s leader in Dublin, a person who had done four years in prison for his association with terrorism. He was one of the most feared crime overlords in the Irish capital, believed to be responsible for ordering the death of three of his enemies in an ongoing drugs war. Earlier this year he personally used a hacksaw to cut off the fingers of a criminal who had refused to pay him protection money. Five months before he met his end, somebody had tried to kill Ryan while he sat in the pub owned by Stokes’ father, John.

On the day of his funeral, Stokes tweeted about his mate. “Thinking of you Alan,” he said. The funeral became a circus with men in balaclavas and full paramilitary regalia complete with a volley of gunshots as his coffin left his home on the north of the city. Police officers had the place surrounded. The media were there in big numbers. Ryan was a high-profile gangster and his death was national news in Ireland.

A few weeks back, Stokes went to Dublin to attend a fundraiser for Ryan, an event that police had under surveillance given some of the people that went through the door that night. Last weekend, a female reporter in Ireland, who has bravely covered the Ryan story for some time, wrote about the fundraiser and the fact that Stokes attended it. During the week she received two death threats after some of Ryan’s sympathisers put her mobile phone number and other personal details on a website set up as a memorial to Ryan.The threat was not idle. In 1996, the fearless Sunday Independent crime reporter Veronica Guerin was shot dead in her car by a crime gang, an event that scandalised the nation and made it aware, too late, that the gangland figures in Dublin were lawless beyond anything anybody ever dared to imagine. So, when those death threats were issued last week, a Garda patrol car with armed detectives was immediately placed outside the journalist’s home.

On Friday, Celtic said they take a very dim view of Stokes’ attendance at the fundraiser and that they will deal with it internally.

Officially, they would say no more about it but we can take it as fact that the striker’s activities have gone down badly at Celtic Park. By rights, they should sack him. He has disgraced his club.

Some might say that is harsh, given that one glance at Stokes’ twitter feed shows an exchange with a bloke who says he hopes the UVF put a bullet in the footballer’s head sometime soon. But this is the world Stokes lives in and this is the treatment – utterly abhorrent and demanding of police intervention – that he has opened himself up to. Stokes’ abuser should be found and put away but what the hell was the player doing at the fundraiser in the first place?

His supporters would, no doubt, argue that he was just honouring the memory of somebody he has known since he was a kid, that it doesn’t follow that he supported Ryan in his vermin deeds and that a friend is a friend.

It’s true that Stokes was born into this, that connections to people in the underworld were part of his natural life since before he even knew how to spell the word and that it must be hard to extricate yourself from that life.

But has he even tried?

There is no evidence in anything that he has ever said that points to an awareness of a need to move on from these people.

There is a feeling that Lennon would like to say a whole lot more about this but feels, for various reasons, that he cannot. At least not yet.

There is no question but that the Celtic manager will be horrified to hear about the death threats issued to the journalist given that Lennon himself has, sadly, suffered in a similar way.

The club’s reluctance to speak out publicly should not be taken as an endorsement of Stokes but, to the watching public, it might well look that way and nobody could be criticised for thinking that Celtic have not reacted as they should have.

Again, we say: Not yet. There is a hope that they will have plenty to say in time.

You can contextualise it all you like, you can look into Stokes’ family upbringing and say: ‘Look, he never stood a chance.’

But the fact remains that a Celtic player was fraternising with crime bosses suspected of multiple murders who also had well-known links to terrorism and that the journalist who wrote about it first has been targeted by these people and last week was being protected by armed detectives camped outside her house. That’s the beginning, the end and the in-between of this saga.

Stokes has been injured all season but the damage to his ankle is as nothing compared to the damage to his reputation.

Wembley67
03-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Yeah, read that yesterday. Not a chance, Celtic should sever all ties with him with immediate effect and obviously there is no danger that I would want someone like that near ER.

Just_Jimmy
03-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Yet people still blamed petrie and said what he did on the pitch was more important than off it.

Sometimes thats simply not the case.

Mr White
03-12-2012, 07:36 AM
even when he was banging the goals in for us i never really warmed to him in the way you normally would to a prolific scorer. I think it was because it was really obvious he was scoring goals for anthony stokes not hibs, he really didnt care about the club at all and didn't bother trying to hide that. Its not that i mind talented players using hibs as a stepping stone but you like to see some respect for the club and some commitment- of the type we're currently seeing from ryan mcgivern and jorge claros for example.,

Number69
03-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Check his twitter, he has a go at the journalist saying he had only knows Alan Ryan for a few years and not for life as stated, also picking out a few other statements that he deems untrue.

Fact is he shouldn't have been in the position to have this kind of story written about him and i think he is absolute ****.

Malthibby
03-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Check his twitter, he has a go at the journalist saying he had only knows Alan Ryan for a few years and not for life as stated, also picking out a few other statements that he deems untrue.

Fact is he shouldn't have been in the position to have this kind of story written about him and i think he is absolute ****.

That seems to confirm that even Stokes is admiting most of it is true. These people are gangsters & Stokes seems to have gone out of his way to associate with them.
Not Hibs class.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-12-2012, 09:47 AM
This sort of behaviour may not go down well with the big knobs at Darkheid, but this background is woven into the fabric of that club. No doubt this makes Stokes a fans favourite.

Keith_M
03-12-2012, 09:53 AM
I would imagine they're eulogising about him on Kerrydale St right now. He'll be described as 'Celtc Minded' and 'one of us'.

I most certainly would not welcome this Muppet back to ER now.

Pretty Boy
03-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Ignoring all the other stuff about Stokes, I've always thought he comes across as totally disrespectful towards Hibs sine going to Celtic.

Whilst a lot of players don't celebrate against their old clubs he seems to absolutely love scoring against us and his celebrations are a bit ott.

He would do well to remember it was Hibs who gave him a chance to resurrect his career when not many others were willing to touch him.

JIm
03-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Ignoring all the other stuff about Stokes, I've always thought he comes across as totally disrespectful towards Hibs sine going to Celtic.

Whilst a lot of players don't celebrate against their old clubs he seems to absolutely love scoring against us and his celebrations are a bit ott.

He would do well to remember it was Hibs who gave him a chance to resurrect his career when not many others were willing to touch him.

He was tweeting last night congratulating Hibs on beating Hearts.

--------
03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I would imagine they're eulogising about him on Kerrydale St right now. He'll be described as 'Celtc Minded' and 'one of us'.

I most certainly would not welcome this Muppet back to ER now.

http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/8726009/33/

Some are, some aren't.

Post #649/Murphio: "You are deliberately glossing over the point and your own presentation of the facts is no less designed to water down the incident than Tom English's is to crank it up; no one has accused Stokes in 'being complicit' in murders or crime. That is not the issue at stake. And not once did I say Stokes owed the Real IRA's victims anything - except perhaps a little more respect. Once upon a time a Celtic player carried the coffin of a child victim of these people - and now a different player is the celebrity attraction at one of their get togethers? And some of us are defending it - seriously? The bottom line is that Stokes has tarnished Celtic's reputation with a public show of support for a Real IRA member and this nonsense about it simply being a show of respect for a dead friend - what a load of tripe! There are any number of ways Stokes could have showed his support to the Ryan family - be that sending a cheque, a letter, a wreath or whatever it may be. Instead he turned up at a tribute bash to Alan Ryan which was chock full of the Real IRA. Yes - the money raised went to a bereaved family but dress it up however you like; this was a glass raising session for Real IRA men to toast their former leader. They even had a song written for the occasion. This was a completely inappropriate setting for a Celtic player."

There are lots of mindless morons among the Celtic support (I can think of one or two in our own crowd, tbh) but there are also some decent sensible people.

For me, I was happy to see Stokes leave - he was never committed to Hibs, always working his ticket to Parkhead, and his off-field shenanigans and republican baggage were obnoxious in the extreme.

I wouldn't want him back, and I'm sure that our Irish manager understands much better than we do exactly where Stokes is coming from.

Speedway
03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
At the AGM after Stokes had been sold and Rod said 'trust me' regarding the low value of his sale; I believe it was in Hibs' best interests to get him out of the door ASAP.

JimBHibees
03-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Dear oh dear. What an absolute ****bag to be mixing with these type of reptiles. Disgrace and should be binned by Celtc.

Can remember the callous murder of Veronica Guerin and it was absolutely disgusting.