PDA

View Full Version : Maybury

Benny Brazil
02-12-2012, 07:29 PM
We got a let off today with Novi-whats-his-name going off as Maybury was having a mare against him - he didnt do much better against Driver but was getting a bit more help from the midfield who came back to help him.
Really need Clancy back asap as Maybury is not the answer at RB.

Hibs Class
02-12-2012, 07:36 PM
He did okay against Driver. Didn't dive in and concede free kicks, won the ball a few times or tackled and knocked it out for a throw. Don't think Driver got many crosses in and certainly none of quality.

Billy Whizz
02-12-2012, 07:38 PM
I thought he did ok today. No complaints with his performance

Piqué
02-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Some crucial interceptions late on but very frustrating earlier in the game.

oneone73
02-12-2012, 07:41 PM

Agree 100%

essexhibee
02-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Was poor. Kept getting rinsed down his wing and kept playing aimless hoofs down the park. Need Clancy back. :agree:

wookie70
02-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Not sure of the tactic of playing Maybury so central when the ball is on the other side of the field. Yes he should be tucking in a wee bit but it almost looked like we were playing with three Centre Halfs. It never worked because they played the easy ball out to their left winger all day. That was their most dangerous ploy and I'm not sure we even tried to foil it. Thought Maybury started very nervously but came into the game after 30 mins or so.

hibee_girl
02-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Wasn't great, he kept leaving his man in loads of space but to be fair to him he recovered quite well most times.

M11BMO
Thought he was pretty poor, IMO. Gave driver too much respect when he came on.

clerriehibs
We got a let off today with Novi-whats-his-name going off as Maybury was having a mare against him - he didnt do much better against Driver but was getting a bit more help from the midfield who came back to help him.
Really need Clancy back asap as Maybury is not the answer at RB.

Thought he was fairly steady ... worried that he drifted inside too much when v. driver, but driver hardly created anything, and he knows what he's doing better than I do!

Saw a photo of him with spooner after the goal - his expression convinced me that winning meant a LOT to him.

Mr White
02-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Driver always seemed to have far too much space allowing him to collect the ball and get some momentum going before being challenged.

stoneyburn hibs
02-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Maybury was murder during the 1st half , pass marks in the 2nd

Brightside
02-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Agree 100%

Defence were pretty solid. Hanlon and McGivern were quality...but for lots of the game Maybury was playing as a 3rd centre half. But bottom line is THEY DIDNT SCORE. Onwards!!

ancient hibee
02-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Not sure of the tactic of playing Maybury so central when the ball is on the other side of the field. Yes he should be tucking in a wee bit but it almost looked like we were playing with three Centre Halfs. It never worked because they played the easy ball out to their left winger all day. That was their most dangerous ploy and I'm not sure we even tried to foil it. Thought Maybury started very nervously but came into the game after 30 mins or so.

Spot on.At one stage in the first half Fenlon was screaming at Wotherspoon to try and stem the tide down our right-he didn't seem very keen.

Jim44
02-12-2012, 07:51 PM
I thought he was useless. He left their left winger unmarked for the whole game. At the warm up the Jambo keeper was practising lamping the ball down to where Maybury was going to be and it was obvious that they were going to exploit our Achilles heel. Luckilly they didn't succeeed. I wouldn't normally slag off an individual player after such a great result but I really thought he was going to lose us the game today.

broonie27
02-12-2012, 07:51 PM
I just presumed he was still on a retainer from hearts to be honest. I thought he was absolutely dire and gave Novikovas so much space it was space it was funny. If hearts want to keep paying their former players to throw games for them then I can see why they are in such financial peril.

lucky
02-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Weak link in the defence but still does his job well.

hibsbollah
02-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Our right side was a bit of a mess all day long, Maybury giving Novikovas and Driver yards of space, and Spoony back to his bad old ways of not picking up runners. They attacked our right flank all game and a better team would have made us pay.

But they're only Hearts :hilarious

Golden Bear
02-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Do we really need a negative thread tonight ?

leither17
02-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Maybury was murder during the 1st half , pass marks in the 2nd

Exactly what I said earlier

millarco
02-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Maybury was always going to be short-term cover, and I'd be surprised if he's still here next season. Fenlon quite rightly focused on the spine of the team, and we've got the makings of a decent 11 now. The full back positions are probably one of the high priority areas IMO, strengthen them with strong, technical full backs in the Whittaker/Murphy mould and we'd go a long way towards developing a better team with more recognisable playing style. Would be happy with McGivern for the left, just need to find someone similar for the right hand side.

ancient hibee
02-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Ryan McGowan would be fine.

jabis
02-12-2012, 07:59 PM
i remeber...oohh it must have been last season,the cries of "boot it out",as we tried to play silky soccer.

Maybury must have done the 2 most brilliant stops I have ever seen today,yes he then humped it up the park,but fair play to him,try as he might,he couldn't score for hertz :greengrin

whiskas
02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Seems a bit harsh I thought he put in a good shift and other than one heart in mouth I don't think there was anything to complain about. He even managed to slide through a few nice passes and looked reasonably comfortable in possession which is more than could be said for Lewis who I thought was pretty poor

Famous Fiver
02-12-2012, 08:04 PM
What we had today,imo, was a crowd just waiting for a car crash and looking for a scapegoat.

Thank god for Section 43, their constant back of the side throughout should be an example to all these'knowledgeable' oafs further along in the East Stand only too quick to condemn.

'We've never won a header all day' was one beauty. I just had to tap the guy on the knee and say to him 'Mcgovern's won a few'.. He was not pleased but you wonder what game some of these guys watch.

Maybury tried as hard as the rest and again, imo, was entitled to celebrate with the rest.

Having said all that McGivern and Claros were simply different class.

greenlex
02-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Ryan McGowan would be fine.

Gone off this cant after kicking Cairney down at the corner flag near full time. I didnt see who had Cairney by the throat in the same incident. The ref was in among it and IM sure he saw it but I think he chose to ignore it.

CropleyWasGod
02-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Gone off this cant after kicking Cairney down at the corner flag near full time. I didnt see who had Cairney by the throat in the same incident. The ref was in among it and IM sure he saw it but I think he chose to ignore it.

TBF to McGowan, at full-time he made a beeline for Griffiths, (who by this time was in front of the East) to shake his hand. I thought that showed a bit of class.

HibeeDaz6270
02-12-2012, 08:08 PM
What we had today,imo, was a crowd just waiting for a car crash and looking for a scapegoat.

Thank god for Section 43, their constant back of the side throughout should be an example to all these'knowledgeable' oafs further along in the East Stand only too quick to condemn.

'We've never won a header all day' was one beauty. I just had to tap the guy on the knee and say to him 'Mcgovern's won a few'.. He was not pleased but you wonder what game some of these guys watch.

Maybury tried as hard as the rest and again, imo, was entitled to celebrate with the rest.

Having said all that McGivern and Claros were simply different class.

McGivern was good today. But overall Hibs were poor. Today was probably Claros's worst performance of the season. Although it does not matter, it is all about the result .We are through to the next round, how we got there does not matter one bit :flag:

VickMackie
02-12-2012, 08:10 PM

Re your point about tucking in, it was exact same in the Aberdeen game. Maybury tucked right in and Wotherspoon just watched a man walk into about 15 yards of space, I think it was mcginn and he got on the ball about 5 seconds later.

hibsbollah
02-12-2012, 08:21 PM

It was Ryan Stevenson who had him by the throat.

Jonnyboy
02-12-2012, 08:25 PM

Stick that brain dead Jambo in a room with Cairney and I know who my money would be on getting carried out :greengrin

neil7908
02-12-2012, 08:25 PM
I want to say first off that Spoony has been excellent this season and going forward he has been brilliant. But he still has to work a little better at chasing back and helping the defence. For Aberdeens goal last weekend Spoony was tracking McGinn but then lost him just as he was getting into the danger zone, our penalty area.

Maybury is not the best in the world by any means but is a decent squad player and I'm happy with him until Clancy is back. I do think he takes a bit extra stick cause of a particular club he used to play for.

He has made mistakes and cost us goals this year but Williams, Hanlon, McPake etc have all made individual errors this season which has gifted the oposition goals.

For me at 34 he's coped pretty well - wont keep Clancy out of the side and dont expect him to remain past the summer but worth a place in the squad.

greenlex
02-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Another cant on my really really hate list. Ta. :greengrin

leithsansiro
02-12-2012, 08:46 PM
I think Maybury is a decent pro, probably a good guy to have around with a good attitude to training. In other words, probably the sort of player we've lacked for years. That said, he's probably not going to be a consistent first teamer for us, but is crucial nonetheless.

--------
02-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I want to say first off that Spoony has been excellent this season and going forward he has been brilliant. But he still has to work a little better at chasing back and helping the defence. For Aberdeens goal last weekend Spoony was tracking McGinn but then lost him just as he was getting into the danger zone, our penalty area.

Maybury is not the best in the world by any means but is a decent squad player and I'm happy with him until Clancy is back. I do think he takes a bit extra stick cause of a particular club he used to play for.

He has made mistakes and cost us goals this year but Williams, Hanlon, McPake etc have all made individual errors this season which has gifted the oposition goals.

For me at 34 he's coped pretty well - wont keep Clancy out of the side and dont expect him to remain past the summer but worth a place in the squad.

:top marks

To suggest that Alan was trying to 'sell the jersey' or somehow give the game to the Yams (as one or two have done here) is ridiculous. And those who do so are saying a lot more about the sort of people they are than anything about Alan Maybury.

I've met the guy and know more than enough about him to say that that sort of dishonesty just isn't in him. Not all former Hearts players are like Mick Stewart or ian Black.

Quote from Twitter: "Poor game of no real quality but doesn't matter. A win and into the next round. That's what matters. Great support. Easter rd was rocking!" He doesn't sound too disappointed Hibs are in the draw for the next round ...

Players all make mistakes, and as you rightly say there have been a number of times mistakes this season have led to goals conceded. This happens - it's called football.

It's disappointing that when we've had our best result (as opposed to performance) aginst our closest rivals for some time, people feel the need to single individuals out for - I was going to say criticism, but vilification seems to be a better word in view of some of the comments in this thread.

And you're right - Wotherspoon has been a real threat going forward this season, and all credit to him - he turned Mchattie inside out just before the goal - but yes, he probably needs to bear in mind that his full-back's entitled to a little more cover than he's been giving him recently.

But we won the game - by the skin of our teeth - and I'm not going to criticise any of the players who contributed to that win.

Not even Mary-Doll Sally-Ookus.

Golden Bear
02-12-2012, 08:51 PM

To suggest that Alan was trying to 'sell the jersey' or somehow give the game to the Yams (as one or two have done here) is ridiculous. And those who do so are saying a lot more about the sort of people they are than anything about Alan Maybury.

I've met the guy and know more than enough about him to say that that sort of dishonesty just isn't in him. Not all former Hearts players are like Mick Stewart or ian Black.

Quote from Twitter: "Poor game of no real quality but doesn't matter. A win and into the next round. That's what matters. Great support. Easter rd was rocking!" He doesn't sound too disappointed Hibs are in the draw for the next round ...

Players all make mistakes, and as you rightly say there have been a number of times mistakes this seaison have led to goals conceded. This happens - it's called football.

It's disappointing that when we've had our best result (as opposed to performance) aginst our closest rivals for some time, people feel the need to single individuals out for - I was going to say criticism, but vilification seems to be a better word in view of some of the comments in this thread.

Well said Doddie. Some of the comments are totally ridiculous.

hfc rd
02-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Did alright. But would prefer to have Clancy back.

whiskyhibby
02-12-2012, 08:54 PM

Spot on, very solid today, didn't get too close which gave him time to put in the tackle when it mattered, Novi whtisname didn't reappear for the 2nd half.......coincidence?

cabbageandribs1875
02-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Spot on, very solid today, didn't get too close which gave him time to put in the tackle when it mattered, Novi whtisname didn't reappear for the 2nd half.......coincidence?

no coincidence, novovirus picked up an injury about 10 mins before HT :)

BSEJVT
02-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Agreed

It would be really good if we could concentrate on supporting the team and all its players rather than the constant need to find a scapegoat or someone who scored less than 10/10.

It's a virtuous circle, the team play better so get less abuse from their own fans, so the team play even better ...........

I truly hope some of the people who post such nonsense against their own players aren't parents, there is no telling the damage they will be doing to their children with similarly ill thought our criticism of their less than perfect attempts at some things

greenlex
02-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Players all make mistakes, and as you rightly say there have been a number of times mistakes this season have led to goals conceded. This happens - it's called football.

And you're right - Wotherspoon has been a real threat going forward this season, and all credit to him - he turned Mchattie inside out just before the goal - but yes, he probably needs to bear in mind that his full-back's entitled to a little more cover than he's been giving him recently.

But we won the game - by the skin of our teeth - and I'm not going to criticise any of the players who contributed to that win.

He looks absolutely gutted here likes. 8963

neil7908
02-12-2012, 09:18 PM
I think its also a lot harder task being a defender in games like these with so much at stake - a striker can have 5-6 shots in a game, one of them goes in and he's a hero if that goal wins the game.

A full back might have a winger running against him 10-15 times in a game, he can stop him 14 out of 15 times but if the one time he gets by he sets up a goal then the defender will get vilified.

Fred Perry
02-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Agreed it looked like we were leaving driver open on the left wing, the diagonal ball was the one that was always looking lik it would undo us, however, it didn't. Every time they managed to work it that way, Maybury closed the space and spoony doubled up and I don't think they created a clear chance down that side.

ScottB
02-12-2012, 09:24 PM
He was doing what he has been doing, especially against St Mirren a few weeks back; either he gets beaten for pace and / or caught way out of position. For most of the first half he was standing right beside Paul Hanlon, if Hearts had a decent left winger they would have really punished us.

That and when he occasionally did keep up with his man, he seemed reluctant to do anything other than shuffle along with him. Needs to make a tackle!

I think he's just lost too much pace. Fine as a squad player, but we are currently relying on him every week and it isn't enough. He could easily have cost us the win today, and that has been the case in a few games this year.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2012, 09:24 PM
We've just beaten them for the first time in well over 3 years and we've actually got a thread on here slating an individual player.

Seriously? :confused:

Viva_Palmeiras
02-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Thought initially position was odd and then after repetition thought a seasoned pro like maybury of all players was probably following instructions, despite the alarm.

woody47
02-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Really not impressed with Maybury. Supposed to bring experience but some of his passing looked as if he was still wearing a moroon jersey.
I always rate a player by seeing what the opposing side do during a game and it looked to me that McGlynn reckoned the easy way to go was down Maybury's wing. Not that I rate McGlynn but even he could see that Maybury was not up to much. And why was he playing at centre half for a lot of the game?

Dinkydoo
02-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Total liability today.

Benny Brazil
02-12-2012, 09:49 PM
We've just beaten them for the first time in well over 3 years and we've actually got a thread on here slating an individual player.

Seriously? :confused:

As I started the thread I will respond - yes seriously. Great result and if we play like that in the next 10 games and still win one nil nobody will be happier than me. BUT imo Maybury was very poor first half and as someone else said against a much better team we would have been ripped a new one.

Didnt realise that people were only allowed to look on the positives after each game we play.

darwenhibby
02-12-2012, 10:11 PM
As I started the thread I will respond - yes seriously. Great result and if we play like that in the next 10 games and still win one nil nobody will be happier than me. BUT imo Maybury was very poor first half and as someone else said against a much better team we would have been ripped a new one.

Didnt realise that people were only allowed to look on the positives after each game we play.
I agree with most but remember he was brought in as cover. Because of the injuries we have had in defence I think he has played more games than he thought he would. Think Maybury has exceeded expectations from him and what the club has expected if him this season. Well done AM keep up the good work, enjoy the couple of games rest you deserve in a couple of weeks. A good utility man to have around as he has proved!!

clerriehibs
02-12-2012, 10:20 PM
He looks absolutely gutted here likes. 8963

Is that Miss Jones in the crowd ... ?

clerriehibs
02-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Total liability today.

Utter bollocks. If that was true, he'd have been hooked by Fenlon. If that was true, Wotherspoon would have been told to sit deeper. How many openings did they have because Maybury messed up? As few as any of our other players, i.e. very few indeed.

Speedy
02-12-2012, 10:41 PM

Maybury is a solid pro but he's not the best and always makes me nervous.

Far too many chances from their left today, particularly in the first half.

--------
03-12-2012, 02:13 AM

Having now seen both sets of highlights I would agree that in the first half he needed to get tighter on the Lith winger to prevent him launching those diagonal balls into our box. We rode our luck and could easily have been behind at half-time.

It did seem to me, though that as HT approached he was doing just that, and when Driver came out in the second half Maybury coped much better.

I have no problems personally with the sort of comment you made.

My objection was to the suggestion that he was somehow trying to give the game to his previous club - in other words, cheat.

I would also say that there are times when it's much better for a defender to close an opponent right down and prevent him playing than to launch into a tackle and risk letting him away. I noticed Maybury and Wotherspoon doing just that to Driver in the second half - no doubt to a chorus of "Get stuck intae him!" from the more "knowledgeable" members of the tweed cap community ....

leggeto
03-12-2012, 02:29 AM
good game lay off he is back up peace out:flag:

marinello59
03-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Having now seen both sets of highlights I would agree that in the first half he needed to get tighter on the Lith winger to prevent him launching those diagonal balls into our box. We rode our luck and could easily have been behind at half-time.

It did seem to me, though that as HT approached he was doing just that, and when Driver came out in the second half Maybury coped much better.

I have no problems personally with the sort of comment you made.

My objection was to the suggestion that he was somehow trying to give the game to his previous club - in other words, cheat.

I would also say that there are times when it's much better for a defender to close an opponent right down and prevent him playing than to launch into a tackle and risk letting him away. I noticed Maybury and Wotherspoon doing just that to Driver in the second half - no doubt to a chorus of "Get stuck intae him!" from the more "knowledgeable" members of the tweed cap community ....

Spot on. I mentioned this a few times to the wee lad yesterday when Maybury quite rightly chose not to dive in but made sure that his opponent could not get a cross in. Sometimes it's best just to get in the way. He did struggle in the opening half hour but I thought he coped well after that.

Dinkydoo
03-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Utter bollocks. If that was true, he'd have been hooked by Fenlon. If that was true, Wotherspoon would have been told to sit deeper. How many openings did they have because Maybury messed up? As few as any of our other players, i.e. very few indeed.

Who did we have on the bench to suitably replace him with?

On several occasions in the first half he was either beaten for pace or simply stood off his man allowing a dangerous cross to be made.

Every chance bar one (I think) in the first half came from down his side. He was the weak link in defence yesterday.

Stevie Reid
03-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Part of a makeshift back four that has conceded 1 goal in 3 games, of which we have won two, and part of a team that has just pulled off one our most satisfying victories ever over Hearts, leading to them having the shortest ever reign as Scottish Cup holders, and us exacting some measure of revenge for May - so what's the problem?

I find the appetite on here from many to deride him very, very strange and very, very disappointing - he has made a very important contribution to our success this season, yesterday included. Didn't play Novikovas very well but did fine against Drvier, and tucked in well to make some important interceptions towards the end which meant we saw the game out without any major scares at all.

Compared to some of the imposters who have played RB for us in the last four years he is a huge improvement, and his versatility has been important. Said earlier this week that he has been very unlucky in that pretty much all of his mistakes have led to goals, whilst others have gotten away with them (sometimes thanks to Maybury himself).

Signed as cover and been well used as such - delighted we have him. I wish people would get off his back and just enjoy where we are right now.

marinello59
03-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Part of a makeshift back four that has conceded 1 goal in 3 games, of which we have won two, part of a team that has just pulled off one our most satisfying victories ever over Hearts, leading to them having the shortest ever reign as Scottish Cup holders, and us exacting some measure of revenge for May.

I find the appetite on here from many to deride him very, very strange and very, very disappointing - he has made a very important contribution to our success this season, yesterday included. Didn't play Novikovas very well but did fine against Drvier, and tucked in well to make some important interceptions towards the end which meant we saw the game out without any major scares at all.

Compared to some of the imposters who have played RB for us in the last four years he is a huge improvement, and his versatility has been important. Signed as cover and been well used as such - delighted we have him.

clerriehibs
03-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Who did we have on the bench to suitably replace him with?

On several occasions in the first half he was either beaten for pace or simply stood off his man allowing a dangerous cross to be made.

Every chance bar one (I think) in the first half came from down his side. He was the weak link in defence yesterday.

Can a manager not reshuffle any more? David Wotherspoon started off in the 1st team as a right back. If Maybury was a "total liability" :rolleyes:, Fenlon would have hooked him and slotted Wotherspoon in there.

The few crosses coming in were long range hopeful affairs, which the keeper/centre halves can be expected to deal with. No-one was getting by Maybury and whipping them in from short range.

Wotherspoon was able to be in space on the right to take Sproule's pass and go on and score. If Maybury had been such a liability, Fenlon would have had Wotherspoon sitting far deeper ... and that chance might never have come.

clerriehibs
03-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Part of a makeshift back four that has conceded 1 goal in 3 games, of which we have won two, and part of a team that has just pulled off one our most satisfying victories ever over Hearts, leading to them having the shortest ever reign as Scottish Cup holders, and us exacting some measure of revenge for May - so what's the problem?

Compared to some of the imposters who have played RB for us in the last four years he is a huge improvement, and his versatility has been important. Said earlier this week that he has been very unlucky in that pretty much all of his mistakes have led to goals, whilst others have gotten away with them (sometimes thanks to Maybury himself).

Signed as cover and been well used as such - delighted we have him. I wish people would get off his back and just enjoy where we are right now.

strange, disappointing, but not surprising from some ... Maybury used to be one of them, and so can't be trusted it seems.

Part/Time Supporter
03-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Just as a tactical point re Maybury playing narrow, I suspect this is another effect of having to play a left-footed player (Hanlon) at right centre back. Hibs will be wary of opposing forwards running in between Hanlon and Maybury (on Hanlon's weaker side) and so Maybury has to play closer to Hanlon to compensate. If the opposing left midfielder / winger has tons of space it doesn't matter too much unless he mis-hits a cross into the net (as Novikovas almost did) or they flood the box with midfield runners (which they never did).

Brightside
03-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Just as a tactical point re Maybury playing narrow, I suspect this is another effect of having to play a left-footed player (Hanlon) at right centre back. Hibs will be wary of opposing forwards running in between Hanlon and Maybury (on Hanlon's weaker side) and so Maybury has to play closer to Hanlon to compensate. If the opposing left midfielder / winger has tons of space it doesn't matter too much unless he mis-hits a cross into the net (as Novikovas almost did) or they flood the box with midfield runners (which they never did).

^THIS^

We are playing a lot of guys out of position at the moment due to injuries, and after watching the highlights later you can see why Maybury was told to support the CHs. Lets praise all those guys that continue to play out of position and continue to put in maximum effort.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Bring back Michael Hart. :wink:

Golden Bear
03-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Alan Maybury got pass marks yesterday and dare I say it, sometimes, just sometimes you have got to acknowledge the quality of the opponent.

It's not always somebody's fault when a dangerous ball is delivered into the penalty box or when the opposition score a goal and this school of thinking seems to have stemmed from the TV pundits in the manner they analyse games.

We've no Colin Nish or John Rankin these days so unfortunately Alan Maybury seems to be the target for the mumpers.

CRAZYHIBBY
03-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Maybury has been a great signing for us......doesnt bother me that he used to be a yam ....delighted to have him

Keith_M
03-12-2012, 09:36 AM
I seem to remember people being delighted when Maybury came on trial at the beginning of the season and were desperate for him to sign. I think he's a reasonable squad player for a club the size of Hibs, so he's far from perfect.

That said, I think it's more than a bit unfair to single the guy out for criticism when others have played badly as well, especially as we actually WON!

Onwards and upwards

:flag:

Aldo
03-12-2012, 10:11 AM
FFS we won and kept a clean sheet yet the guy gets slated.

Team effort. Most players were poor but if we can win without McPake, Clancy and Deegan then that'll do fur me every week.

Squad effort at the mo.

AM will do for me just now so get off his back please.

Dinkydoo
03-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Can a manager not reshuffle any more? David Wotherspoon started off in the 1st team as a right back. If Maybury was a "total liability" :rolleyes:, Fenlon would have hooked him and slotted Wotherspoon in there.

The few crosses coming in were long range hopeful affairs, which the keeper/centre halves can be expected to deal with. No-one was getting by Maybury and whipping them in from short range.

Wotherspoon was able to be in space on the right to take Sproule's pass and go on and score. If Maybury had been such a liability, Fenlon would have had Wotherspoon sitting far deeper ... and that chance might never have come.

No point in debating this with your green tinted specs on.

Header early on, Novikovas hitting the post and a dangerous ball across the face of goal all of which - if Hearts had good strikers - probably would have resulted in a goal and all of which, came from Maybury not dealing with the threat sufficiently.

At one point he and Spoony (?) were practically positioned beside each other trying to contain Novikovas. Wotherspoon had the inside covered and instead of Maybury either putting in a tackle or at least showing him less of the outside, he stood off, and Novikovas was allowed to cross.

Pretty much all of Hearts chances came down that side yesterday, and Maybury didn't deal with many of them well.

He did improve in the second half though.

Dinkydoo
03-12-2012, 05:43 PM
strange, disappointing, but not surprising from some ... Maybury used to be one of them, and so can't be trusted it seems.

I hope you're not implying that this is why i was being critical of Maybury.

You'd be wrong.

Diclonius
03-12-2012, 05:49 PM
If this were either of the last two seasons, Maybury would be a stand out player.

Leishy1995
03-12-2012, 05:53 PM
When Mcpake returns I actually won't mind him playing there if Hanlon goes to left back

Jim44
03-12-2012, 05:56 PM
I hope you're not implying that this is why i was being critical of Maybury.

You'd be wrong.

I was also critical of Maybury but also not because he was a Jambo. I don't think the turning a blind eye to a poor performance is OK just because we won. What happens if a player has a really poor game in a losing team? At the end of the day, a poor performance is what it says on the tin and has to be taken into account for future reference. What I would concede is that, as some suggest, Maybury' seemingly poor marking and positioning was due to Fenlon's instructions.

Dinkydoo
03-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I was also critical of Maybury but also not because he was a Jambo. I don't think the turning a blind eye to a poor performance is OK just because we won. What happens if a player has a really poor game in a losing team? At the end of the day, a poor performance is what it says on the tin and has to be taken into account for future reference. What I would concede is that, as some suggest, Maybury' seemingly poor marking and positioning was due to Fenlon's instructions.

I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with the result, but had we lost yesterday I think that we'd all be A LOT more critical of our performance as a whole, and not just AM.

Hopefully McPake and Deegan are fit soon so that we stronger in defence and the middle of the park; we battled yesterday but could have done with a hard man in the midfield too.

Anyway, to any yams looking in 👆-👌

clerriehibs
03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
No point in debating this with your green tinted specs on.

Header early on, Novikovas hitting the post and a dangerous ball across the face of goal all of which - if Hearts had good strikers - probably would have resulted in a goal and all of which, came from Maybury not dealing with the threat sufficiently.

At one point he and Spoony (?) were practically positioned beside each other trying to contain Novikovas. Wotherspoon had the inside covered and instead of Maybury either putting in a tackle or at least showing him less of the outside, he stood off, and Novikovas was allowed to cross.

Pretty much all of Hearts chances came down that side yesterday, and Maybury didn't deal with many of them well.

He did improve in the second half though.

seems to me you have the green specs on. Ex-jambo not good enough, eh?

Hearts got nothing more than a few speculative crosses in from distance. We have CHs to deal with them. One clipped the cross bar -

utter fluke had it gone in. Patterson got on the end of another. That cross was from far enough out that one of our CHs should have gone through patterson when dealing with it. Nobody was going by maybury at will, so how can be described as a total liability is bonkers.

JimBHibees
03-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Well said, good post. Agree about Spoony providing a bit more cover also.

matty_f
03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Maybury was left exposed first half and struggled against their no. 18. He was much better second half against Driver.

Thought we needed his experience and an old head as we saw the game out.

JimBHibees
03-12-2012, 07:03 PM

Completely agree you do get the impression some just need to feel the need to vent against. An ex-Hearts player is obviously an easy target however to me he is an experienced steady head at the back. Certainly better than junk like Towell and Hart. He should IMO have got closer to Novikovas however think he was wary about diving in and getting skinned for pace. In the second half he seemed better and got closer to Driver. He did ok certainly nothing to be openly slated for.

EuanH78
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Maybury is a solid experienced pro who is doing a great job as defensive cover and has probably played more than he thought he would. I am struggling to see why anyone would be critical of him or have higher expectations than that tbh.

62Hibs70
07-12-2012, 01:32 AM

I agree, to me it looked like he had been told to let them cross the ball knowin that mcgivern and Hanlon could cope fine with the balls in the air. More damage would of been done if maybury dived in got skinned then before you know it hearts have a good goal scoring chance, to me that's why staying narrow and solid was forcing them to cross it to their lonely striker.

Dinkydoo
07-12-2012, 07:00 AM
seems to me you have the green specs on. Ex-jambo not good enough, eh?

That's right, it must be because he's an ex jambo :rolleyes:

Hearts got nothing more than a few speculative crosses in from distance. We have CHs to deal with them. One clipped the cross bar -

Unsure it if was Novi.... but in the first half someone did get to the by line and clipped in a cross. I hadn't mentioned it before because our CHs did actually deal with that one well.

utter fluke had it gone in. Patterson got on the end of another. That cross was from far enough out that one of our CHs should have gone through patterson when dealing with it. Nobody was going by maybury at will, so how can be described as a total liability is bonkers.

Yes, it would have been. Though in the end, we were lucky it was a miss hit cross. In retrospect of the win dare I say it doesn't matter what kind of a cross the attacker got away (we did win after all) but it was the continuously failing to deal with the attacker sufficiently that I and others were displeased about.

I think AM has been a good addition to our side - he's certainly no Michael Hart - but to gloss over any mistakes he made during that game (which was probably our biggest game of the season), whilst branding anyone who criticises Maybury's performance as having it in for him simply because he's an ex yam, defies any reasonable logic.

We can either agree that you're wrong, or agree to disagree :wink:

Benny Brazil
07-12-2012, 08:11 AM
That's right, it must be because he's an ex jambo :rolleyes:

Unsure it if was Novi.... but in the first half someone did get to the by line and clipped in a cross. I hadn't mentioned it before because our CHs did actually deal with that one well.

Yes, it would have been. Though in the end, we were lucky it was a miss hit cross. In retrospect of the win dare I say it doesn't matter what kind of a cross the attacker got away (we did win after all) but it was the continuously failing to deal with the attacker sufficiently that I and others were displeased about.

I think AM has been a good addition to our side - he's certainly no Michael Hart - but to gloss over any mistakes he made during that game (which was probably our biggest game of the season), whilst branding anyone who criticises Maybury's performance as having it in for him simply because he's an ex yam, defies any reasonable logic.

We can either agree that you're wrong, or agree to disagree :wink:

Totally agree Dinky - I started the thread to discuss his performance, doesnt matter the result we should be able to discuss how the team and individuals played / are playing - for me firsth half Maybury was poor - on further reflection it may be as PB said because he was playing too narrow allowing Novisomething too much space - everyone pundits media even McGlynn acknowledged the right side was where Hearts were looking likely to create something - I dont dislike Maybury - was quite happy for him to sign for us as we need his like in the squad so absolutely nothing to do with him being an ex Yam.

Broken Gnome
07-12-2012, 08:17 AM
If you watch Sky or BBC's coverage again, the camera angle in use right on full time picks up Maybury in the background. He's about the most animated guy in the team.

Dinkydoo
07-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Totally agree Dinky - I started the thread to discuss his performance, doesnt matter the result we should be able to discuss how the team and individuals played / are playing - for me firsth half Maybury was poor - on further reflection it may be as PB said because he was playing too narrow allowing Novisomething too much space - everyone pundits media even McGlynn acknowledged the right side was where Hearts were looking likely to create something - I dont dislike Maybury - was quite happy for him to sign for us as we need his like in the squad so absolutely nothing to do with him being an ex Yam.

Totally.

We shouldn't only be able to analyse (and if appropriate criticise) player performances after a defeat. The result was excellent, though the game was poor - and Maybury, for me, was the weak link in the first half - and from defence to attack, I hope we are better against ICT.

To be fair on AM, he was up against one of the few players (if not the only player) in that Hearts side that I actually rate.

--------
07-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Spot on. I mentioned this a few times to the wee lad yesterday when Maybury quite rightly chose not to dive in but made sure that his opponent could not get a cross in. Sometimes it's best just to get in the way. He did struggle in the opening half hour but I thought he coped well after that.

I remember being in the old East at a Rangers game when Brian Hamilton was playing. Laudrup got the ball in their 'D' and started off upfield. Hammy picked him up, closed him down, made it impossible for him to pass the ball, then shepherded him all the way to the touch-line, eventually winning the thrown-in.

All to the accompaniment of this utter moron behind me bellowing, "Get intae hum, Hamilton! Tackul hum ya big Jessie! Yer jist lettin hum dictate the play - get intae hum ..."

Dictating the play cetrtainly wasn't what Laudrup was doing - he was going exactly where Hammy and Hibs wanted him to go. This went on through the game, and by the end he was in such a state that he missed a penalty to equalise - and then missed it again when the referee gave him a second go.

Novikovas has the pace to skin a quicker defender than Alan Maybury. IMO Maybury had the sense (maybe we should give Pat F some credit there too) to stand off him - maybe too far at first, but it seems he was entitled to a bit more cover than Spoony was giving him first half. However, no damage was done first 45, and second 45 He got a bit tighter on Driver and Spoony did a bit more covering back, and there wasn't a problem. As I said, I didn't see more than the highlights of the first half, but the most of the second half I did see he and DW seemed to have the situation well under control.

I have no problem with folks offering criticism or making valid points for discussion - I think we both agree AM could have played much better during the first half-hour of the game - but I DID find the suggestion that the guy wasn't trying - or trying to throw the game Hearts' way - extremely offensive and way over the line of reasonable criticism.

silverhibee
07-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Maybury has been a great signing for us......doesnt bother me that he used to be a yam ....delighted to have him

Good SPL player. With plenty of experience in this league.

Jones28
07-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Slightly of topic but in regards to the post above - does anyone know what team he supports/supported?

I was critical of Maybury in the first half because the hearts winger was getting a lot of room but driver was kept very quiet in the second and credit goes to am for that. At the end of the day he was part of a team that beat hearts and that's good enough for me