PDA

View Full Version : Overseas fans - what would you be doing today if you were at home??

lyonhibs
02-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Apart from going to the match obviously!! Sitting in front of the laptop with a can or 4 of beer is a pish poor 2nd best to being in Auld Reekie, so what would you be doing pre-match if you were at home?

I'd be polishing off the remnants of a fry up of some sort - possibly cooked by my Maw who - quite wonderfully - sees a fried breakfast as an expression of motherly love to a returning son. Then it would be a quick flurry of texts to make sure my various mates were indeed out of their scratchers, and off to probably the Hibs Club or The Harp & Castle for intellectual debate and pints of anything except Tennents. It is a source of some shame when I say I haven't been to a league game since the NY Derby last year, when the filth won 3-1 (?) at Easter Road.

23rd December at Rugby Park cannot come quickly enough.

For all those lucky enough to be there today, make sure you damn well enjoy it. There's thousands of Hibbies across the world who'd give their left arm to be at ER today!!

GGTTH

:flag:

WellingtonHibby
02-12-2012, 11:00 AM
i would be up and about by now, morning run up the crags, swift change, up to urban angel, just off broughton st for some eggs and bacon, then into ER to meet the lancashire boys who are, no doubt, already liquored up and in fine fettle, then its the nip and game face on.

as it is, im getting up at two thirty am. with nothing stronger than a tea as ive work tommorow, with the telly on quiet so i don't wake the missus.

no comparison.

looking forward to getting to ER In march.

HiBremian
02-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Apart from going to the match obviously!! Sitting in front of the laptop with a can or 4 of beer is a pish poor 2nd best to being in Auld Reekie, so what would you be doing pre-match if you were at home?

I'd be polishing off the remnants of a fry up of some sort - possibly cooked by my Maw who - quite wonderfully - sees a fried breakfast as an expression of motherly love to a returning son. Then it would be a quick flurry of texts to make sure my various mates were indeed out of their scratchers, and off to probably the Hibs Club or The Harp & Castle for intellectual debate and pints of anything except Tennents. It is a source of some shame when I say I haven't been to a league game since the NY Derby last year, when the filth won 3-1 (?) at Easter Road.

23rd December at Rugby Park cannot come quickly enough.

For all those lucky enough to be there today, make sure you damn well enjoy it. There's thousands of Hibbies across the world who'd give their left arm to be at ER today!!

GGTTH

:flag:

You're makin' me cry, Lyonhibs, it's been sooooo long since I actually LIVED in Auld Reekie:boo hoo:. I make it 41 years and counting. Back then, I'd have started on the boozers the night before with a few mates, found a boozer with a lock-in, picked up "tomorrow's Scotsman" just before midnight at the West End, called in at the back door of the baker's on Morrison Street for freshly baked morning rolls, then tried to keep going somehow until the pubs opened again the next day:rockin:. Today? Probably a gentle stroll down Easter Road for a pub lunch with my Hibbie daughter before the match.

Still trying to persuade the wife to leave poor dreek bankrupt Germany behind and move back to thriving, sunny wealthy Scotland. But so far no success.:cb

Dalianwanda
02-12-2012, 11:15 AM
I would be sitting in the Ship Inn in Musselburgh enjoy a few scoops with mates from both teams..heading up 30 mins before kick off...

Internets rubbish in Sligo so trying to sort an earlier escape to Dublin to catch it there!

The Green Goblin
02-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Great post!!!!!!!!! I totally agree.

I would have woken up a tiny bit later than usual. The game would have been the first thing I thought of when I did. Probably would have had a proper sugary mug of tea with hot toast and home-made strawberry jam (unbeatable combination!) and just chatted to my folks with Sunday morning radio on in the background. I would have probably made a fuss of their golden retriever too. Haha

From there, I would bus it in to meet my brother (steakbake) and/or Springbank Hibee. Taking the long long walk to the game is a must...breathing in the cold winter air, other fans, early pubs opening, feeling the city around us...you know? Might grab a cheeky wee sausage roll from Greggs on the way, get to ER and feel that rush of pride and happiness at seeing the stadium. Head in early (I'm not really much of a drinker) so buy a Happy Hibby ticket and get a tea- stick in too much sugar- and spend the next hour or so loving the catching up and chat, greeting other Hibees I hadn't seen in a while.

Then, that moment when you walk through and see the rest of the stadium for the first time. Always makes me feel on top of the world. Always makes me feel so proud.

I miss it...

The Green Goblin
02-12-2012, 11:18 AM
And I won't get to do all that until December 2013. What a depressing thought...

Keith_M
02-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Still trying to persuade the wife to leave poor dreek bankrupt Germany behind and move back to thriving, sunny wealthy Scotland. But so far no success.:cb

Good luck with that :greengrin

PeeJay
02-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Having lived in Germany for so long now and no access to "proper food" :rolleyes: I'd probably have a good helpful of pies, sausage rolls after a full breakfast in the morning washed down by a fine local ale or two .

When younger I used to bus it from Kelso (2 hour journey) walk down from the station along London Road, turning in to Easter Road then along Albion Road where my gran and aunty used to live, maybe nip in to see them for a cup of tea and say hello, then off to pick up a program - get into the ground early to soak up the atmosphere as the crowd built up - crowds and atmosphere never seem to build up that way nowadays (all in BTG or the pub probably) - when I used to attend regularly (60s/70s) we more often than not stuffed them: changed days. unfortunately... Here's to a turnaround in our fortunes!:greengrin

A pint followed by fish supper after the game and then a glance through the Pink News reading of our victory ...

... it's not quite the same now, watching the PC with a cup of coffee and a croissant to calm the nerves

Keith_M
02-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Owing to the fact my Dad's teetotal, my routine would normally be: Cafe near top of Easter Road (opp Bothwell St) before the match and a visit to the Chippie on the corner of Edina Pl afterward. Of course, the afterward part is a problem for Cat A games but that was my normal routine otherwise.

In earlier years, the routine involved (for Cat A games) hanging about at the top of Leith St with my mates pretending to be tough and looking for a fight with opposing fans (though I developed a very good running speed ;-) ). Then, after the match, walking down Iona St, up ER, along Albert St, up Leith Walk to the front of the Playhouse and acting the hardman with the 2-300 other Hibs fans doing the same.... safely walking on the other side of the street from the Rangers/Celtc/Hearts fans.

Ah, the stupidity of youth, I remember it well :wink:

HoboHarry
02-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I would be back in Elgin teaching a couple of bams how to operate a ticket selling program on their computer

hibbybrian
02-12-2012, 01:03 PM
In the old days I'd be getting into Tamsons courtesy of Gordon the doorman, to be greeted by mine host Mike Dickson and being served a pint of 80 bob by the celebrity guest barman, one Joseph Baker, resplendant in a beige suit, white shirt and gold tie and a beaming smile - God bless you Joe :not worth

Greendub
02-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I would wind up my dad and bro about being yams, sink a few cans then head to the game with my decent bro

Instead I'm gonna sink a few and watch the game on laptop lol I might call my family soon for a bit of banter haha

sparky
02-12-2012, 01:11 PM
I would probably be meeting up with mates at a pub down the shore near the old flat, followed by the short walk up to easter road. Today it is hibs tv live streaming on the 60" tv in the basement. Wife will be asked (nicely) to get the scotch pies in the oven during the first half which will be washed down with a can of bru or possibly Tennents although it will still be before noon here in Ontario. Father in law just brought up a box of supplies from the Scottish shop down his way.

marti1875
02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Well, normally i would be half blootered by now after starting off for liquid brekkie in Biddy's in the Grassmarket at 9am then to the game.........
Unfortunately i'm in Chamonix, in a bar watching the snow pile up outside with the dodgiest, crappiest internet connection ever......huh....all i can do is keep trying on here and hope the connection comes good or i'll tearing my hair out.....if i had any....it's enough to drive me to drink...come to think of it, another pint of frothing ice cold pelforth blonde is now ordered.....unfortunately it's not a blonde n the human variety so the beer type will do for now....ha ha.......

Hongkong Phooey
02-12-2012, 01:19 PM
I would have met my mates in the Iona for a few pints and a sing-song. Leave about 20m before kick off and jump into the Albion for a very quick one before taking my seat in the front row of the main stand, shaking everyone around me's hands for cameraderie and (hopefully) good luck, then go mental when the Hibees take the field.

I have a tear in my eye! Instead I am rushing in a taxi in Seoul so I can make the game on my bloody laptop.

Enjoy everyone!