PDA

View Full Version : Road Conditions on A9

Kaff
01-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Any advice from those who have travelled today etc?

I'm leaving Wick at 9am (ferry from Orkney so can't leave earlier) I've heard its not great around Helmsdale/Brora but any advice from those who have driven it today would be appreciated.

neilmartinrocks
01-12-2012, 11:22 PM

I'm leaving Wick at 9am (ferry from Orkney so can't leave earlier) I've heard its not great around Helmsdale/Brora but any advice from those who have driven it today would be appreciated.

my mate's laddie does the gritting (perth north to pitlochry) and he reckons he's out tonight.

Kaff
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
my mate's laddie does the gritting (perth north to pitlochry) and he reckons he's out tonight.

Cheers, usually when its gritted/salted they do a good job so hopefully its all under control now

monktonharp
01-12-2012, 11:31 PM
just got a message from my son,on a Megabus fae London/Edin. snaw at Hawick, so be wary if you come fae South. stay on the motorways.

Falkirk Hibby
01-12-2012, 11:35 PM

That's quite a journey mate, fair play to you. As long as the A9 is gritted overnight and/or early morning you should be ok. Some sleet and snow forecast but should only affect untreated roads. Take it easy on the stretch between Dunbeath and Helmsdale and the rest will hopefully be fine. Good luck!

http://trafficscotland.org/

Kaff
01-12-2012, 11:39 PM
That's quite a journey mate, fair play to you. As long as the A9 is gritted overnight and/or early morning you should be ok. Some sleet and snow forecast but should only affect untreated roads. Take it easy on the stretch between Dunbeath and Helmsdale and the rest will hopefully be fine. Good luck!

http://trafficscotland.org/

Long trek i know lol.
Last minute got tomorrow off work so thought why not? Thanks for the link

Carheenlea
02-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Long trek i know lol.
Last minute got tomorrow off work so thought why not? Thanks for the link

Great effort :agree:

Kaff
03-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Roads were all passable and safe, saw one car badly damaged just after it came off road near Thurso but all occupants ok. Not a quick trip though as each leg took 2 hrs longer than good clear run would normally take.
Got back this afternoon, missed the boat this morning by 10 mins and missed the start of the game by 15 mins yesterday!
Worth it in the end, daughter is made up too after the disappointment of May. Onwards and upwards:flag:

btw FalkirkHibby that link was accurate and worthwhile checking if anyone planning similar travels. Cheers

Falkirk Hibby
03-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Roads were all passable and safe, saw one car badly damaged just after it came off road near Thurso but all occupants ok. Not a quick trip though as each leg took 2 hrs longer than good clear run would normally take.
Got back this afternoon, missed the boat this morning by 10 mins and missed the start of the game by 15 mins yesterday!
Worth it in the end, daughter is made up too after the disappointment of May. Onwards and upwards:flag:

btw FalkirkHibby that link was accurate and worthwhile checking if anyone planning similar travels. Cheers

Glad you got through ok. You could have missed the first 80minutes and still enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

Disc O'Dave
03-12-2012, 06:37 PM

I travel up to Orkney every year, and Berriedale Braes stress me out in the middle of summer. Sod doing that when it's icy, fair play to you :)

Kaff
03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
I travel up to Orkney every year, and Berriedale Braes stress me out in the middle of summer. Sod doing that when it's icy, fair play to you :)

On the South leg i was coming uphill and i met a white van starting the descent and he was going flat out (easy 60+mph, couldnt believe how quick he was, everyone was doing 40ish otherwise, snow on the road and minus 2 C! Still, no sign of burnt out wreckage on the way back so he obviously made it:greengrin

Kaff
03-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Glad you got through ok. You could have missed the first 80minutes and still enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

Thanks, i've managed two games this season. Motherwell away and yesterday, me lucks in at the moment!!

Falkirk Hibby
03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks, i've managed two games this season. Motherwell away and yesterday, me lucks in at the moment!!

Puts me to shame, I've only managed twice as well, but I don't have to get a ferry from Cambridgeshire! :wink: