PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine on Leith

erin-go-bragh87
01-12-2012, 10:04 AM
I really hope they play sunshine on leith tomorrow before kick off. Get the whole stadium up a singing!

FromTheCapital
01-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Totally agree.

Get's me pumped up before games. For me I'd put 500 miles on then Sunshine On Leith and Glory Glory To The Hibees when the teams come out!

Scarves out everyone!

:agree:

Nando™
01-12-2012, 10:17 AM
If they're playing it against the likes of Aberdeen then I'm pretty sure it'll be played against this mob.

Phil D. Rolls
01-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Shortest Books in the World #6270: Games that Hibs Have Won After Sunshine on Leith Has Been Played.

It sucks the atmosphere out of the ground, and the way that most of the fans try to keep up when they don't even know the words is just pitiful. And - there's always some fud that thinks it is called Sunshine of Leith.

Sir David Gray
01-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Shortest Books in the World #6270: Games that Hibs Have Won After Sunshine on Leith Has Been Played.

It sucks the atmosphere out of the ground, and the way that most of the fans try to keep up when they don't even know the words is just pitiful. And - there's always some fud that thinks it is called Sunshine of Leith.

There should be no excuse for not knowing the words to your club anthem. :bitchy:

My heart was broken
My heart was broken
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
My heart was broken
My heart was broken

You saw it
You claimed it
You touched it
You saved it

My tears are drying
My tears are drying
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
My tears are drying
My tears are drying

Your beauty and kindness
Made tears clear my blindness

While I'm worth
My room on this Earth
I will be with you

While the chief
Puts sunshine on Leith
I'll thank him for his work
And your birth
And my birth

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

x2

:flag:

Phil D. Rolls
01-12-2012, 03:54 PM
There should be no excuse for not knowing the words to your club anthem. :bitchy:

My heart was broken
My heart was broken
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
My heart was broken
My heart was broken

You saw it
You claimed it
You touched it
You saved it

My tears are drying
My tears are drying
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
My tears are drying
My tears are drying

Your beauty and kindness
Made tears clear my blindness

While I'm worth
My room on this Earth
I will be with you

While the chief
Puts sunshine on Leith
I'll thank him for his work
And your birth
And my birth

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

x2

One of the best songs ever written by two great songwriters. I just don't think the tempo is great for a football crowd - apart from the chorus.

lord bunberry
01-12-2012, 04:54 PM
One of the best songs ever written by two great songwriters. I just don't think the tempo is great for a football crowd - apart from the chorus.

You could say the same about you'll never walk alone but that works well

Mr White
01-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I think it'd be better kept for after games and have more upbeat tunes played pre-kickoff. Amazing as the rendition of it before extra time against AEK was, I still feel it took some of the adrenaline from the crowd that night.

LancashireHibby
01-12-2012, 05:00 PM
The players coming on to the field to the sight and sound of SoL reaching the chorus must be tremendously inspiring. There's plenty of time with the handshakes etc to raise the tempo again before kick off.

hfc rd
01-12-2012, 05:03 PM
I think it'd be better kept for after games and have more upbeat tunes played pre-kickoff. Amazing as the rendition of it before extra time against AEK was, I still feel it took some of the adrenaline from the crowd that night.

I think that was the best ever SOL played at ER.

My_Wife_Camille
01-12-2012, 05:04 PM
If they're playing it against the likes of Aberdeen then I'm pretty sure it'll be played against this mob.
Da bee bat da groamy!:flag:

Phil D. Rolls
01-12-2012, 05:07 PM

I considered that, but it's the amount of spaces in SOL that make it such a great song, unfortunately your average guy can't really keep time with it after 4 pints. :greengrin

What happened next.........the players froze. It hardly strikes fear into the opposition in the same way as something like Into the Valley does at East End Park. I always think it is one that is best left till after the game - particularly when you want to drown your sorrows.

hailhail22
01-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Is there any videos of that SOL ? I've never found one.

Mr White
01-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Never seen it if there is. My mate looked up during it to see one of the proclaimers standing at the front of the top tier west looking out at everyone singing his song. Must have felt pretty good.

PerfectlyFranck
01-12-2012, 05:14 PM
I love the song getting played, but I'd rather it get played after the game. At the very least I'd prefer it to be played in important games only or Cat-A games as (like YNWA getting farted out every game) it just doesn't have as much of an impact when it's played every 2 weeks.

'Glory Glory To The Hibees' should be the tune getting pumped out of the speakers most home games I think, especially as the team comes out. It gets the crowd going and is much more appropriate song in the build-upbefore kick-off every other Saturday.

Mr White
01-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Id like to hear hibernian give us a goal played from time to time. I know its not everyone's cup of tea but I think its the best hibs song recorded. Mrs harts lyrics are excellent and the whistling always makes chuckle.

PerfectlyFranck
01-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Id like to hear hibernian give us a goal played from time to time. I know its not everyone's cup of tea but I think its the best hibs song recorded. Mrs harts lyrics are excellent and the whistling always makes chuckle.

:no way:

I think the proper anthems and songs that the majority of fans enjoy should be played! Turnbull's Tornados would be nice to have on tomorrow before the game.

Mr White
01-12-2012, 05:33 PM

I think the proper anthems and songs that the majority of fans enjoy should be played! Turnbull's Tornados would be nice to have on tomorrow before the game.

Haha fair enough! Like I said not everyone's cup of tea it seems!

Paisley Hibby
01-12-2012, 05:36 PM

Agree - let's leave SOL for after we pump them.

Hibeesforever
01-12-2012, 05:50 PM

Never a truer word spoken. Magnificent Seven anthem for me, I can see them caving in after the first goal. The New Easter Road is going to come of age tomorrow.

Paisley Hibby
01-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Never a truer word spoken. Magnificent Seven anthem for me, I can see them caving in after the first goal. The New Easter Road is going to come of age tomorrow.

Great shout - if only the powers that be at Hibs would let that be played!

bighairyfaeleith
01-12-2012, 06:56 PM
The problem with SOL is it' too easy to drown out which is what hearts will do, thats why it works so well at the end of games when we have won.

Plenty other tunes for before the game but not SOL for me

HibbiesandtheBaddies
01-12-2012, 08:04 PM

"When will I see you again" - The Three Degrees, should be played before the game.

TrinityHibs
01-12-2012, 08:10 PM
The problem with SOL is it' too easy to drown out which is what hearts will do, thats why it works so well at the end of games when we have won.

Plenty other tunes for before the game but not SOL for me

I have never ever heard the line Sunshine on Leith drowned out. They hate it and it should be played at every oportunity.

lord bunberry
01-12-2012, 08:20 PM

hope your right mate as I don't think we have beaten hearts rangers or celtic since the east went up

heretoday
01-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Sunshine on Leith doesn't do it for me. I prefer "Hibee Hibee Hibernian" - especially the bit at the end when the singer goes "Hiberneeeeeeaaaahhhhnnnnn!"

jamiehibee
01-12-2012, 08:55 PM
I have never ever heard the line Sunshine on Leith drowned out. They hate it and it should be played at every oportunity.

I agree!

Wheat Hound
01-12-2012, 09:02 PM
magnificent 7 please......would be perfect

whiskyhibby
01-12-2012, 09:25 PM

I would say it doesn't , a bit of a dirge

whiskyhibby
01-12-2012, 09:26 PM
How about playing Money,Money, Money.........

bighairyfaeleith
01-12-2012, 09:49 PM

sorry but it has too many slow bits that nobody sings along to, we have tried singing it before games a few times, namely after the last league cup win and it never worked. Just my opinion but save it for afterwards, great victory song but not a battle song

Jaz
01-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Sunny Afternoon by The Kinks at HT. Just for the first line.

Jonnyboy
01-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Sunny Afternoon by The Kinks at HT. Just for the first line.

:faf: :aok:

Hibeesmad
01-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Sunshine On Leith has to be played tmrw! SHOW HEARTS HOW TO HAVE A PARTY!

Hfc_Since1875
02-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Exactly the same time as he played it last week for me!! (it should only be kept for the big matches, Hearts, Celtic and The huns when theyre back)

Just as the teams come out!

Sure i read Mcpake saying that the players loved the sight of the hibs fans scarfs aloft singing along

If that doesnt get a player pumped up i dont know what will!!

Added bonus..... The jambos Hate it!

Phil D. Rolls
02-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Exactly the same time as he played it last week for me!! (it should only be kept for the big matches, Hearts, Celtic and The huns when theyre back)

Just as the teams come out!

Sure i read Mcpake saying that the players loved the sight of the hibs fans scarfs aloft singing along

If that doesnt get a player pumped up i dont know what will!!

Added bonus..... The jambos Hate it!

Yeah, their players crumble every time we play it. :rolleyes:

Hfc_Since1875
03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah, their players crumble every time we play it. :rolleyes:

Was more in relation to the hearts fans than the players....

I know from alot of my hearts supporting mates that they hate the song with a passion!

Think it was proved yesterday before kick off how effective the song can be when played at the right time! The atmosphere was phenominal!

To quote spoony " The atmosphere from start to finish was brilliant. The fans singing Sunshine on Leith sends shivers down your neck and back. "

Hopefully the announcer doesnt ruin it and play it before every game though!

Seveno
03-12-2012, 12:46 PM
With the bigger crowd yesterday, the singing was magnificent as the teams came out and really spine tingling stuff.

It was great fun at the end of the match, particularly as the Yams were struggling to escape and had to heard it again.

er75
03-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Was more in relation to the hearts fans than the players....

I know from alot of my hearts supporting mates that they hate the song with a passion!

Think it was proved yesterday before kick off how effective the song can be when played at the right time! The atmosphere was phenominal!

To quote spoony " The atmosphere from start to finish was brilliant. The fans singing Sunshine on Leith sends shivers down your neck and back. "

Hopefully the announcer doesnt ruin it and play it before every game though!

100% agree! Still think we should keep it for the bigger games and makes it all that little bit more special! t

TrinityHibs
03-12-2012, 01:00 PM
sorry but it has too many slow bits that nobody sings along to, we have tried singing it before games a few times, namely after the last league cup win and it never worked. Just my opinion but save it for afterwards, great victory song but not a battle song

:scarf::singing::partyhibb:greengrin