PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths' rubbish start

hibsbollah
30-11-2012, 06:18 PM
It seems strange looking back, but can anyone remember how underwhelmed a lot of fans were about Sparky when he first arrived?

His debut was that derby defeat when Thomson ignored Webster punching the ball off the goalline, although Leigh could have had a red card for scything down a hearts player after the ball had long gone. He didnt do much else. Calderwood had him playing out wide in a withdrawn position and he didn't score until his 9th game for us, after the St Mirren goalie missed the ball and he basically had an open goal. That was his only game in which he scored in 17 games under Calderwood. I remember reading lots of criticism of him on here, and even when Fenlon moved him up front and he finished with 8 goals in 30 games in 2011/12, there wasnt much evidence he'd be the player he is now.

Personally I feel Fenlon deserves more credit than he's getting for Griffiths development. Thoughts?

Wheat Hound
30-11-2012, 06:25 PM
A pedant writes.......LG actually scored twice in that game v St Mirren.

Regardless, his spell under Calderclown was inauspicious to say the least. He showed glimpses of class in the second half of the season but has excelled this season. I think he will sign for us. He's home.

hibee
30-11-2012, 06:28 PM
I think you're right about Fenlon getting the best out of him but on top of that when he first came to us he had really been out of the game for a while, how long had it been since he played a first team game?

lyonhibs
30-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Playing a good striker up front isn't exactly advanced molecular thermo-dynamics though (yes, I just made that field of science up!!). Let's not forget just how rank Calderwood was/is.

Where Fenlon deserves the most credit is just the general improvement in the other members of the squad and their work ethic. Being surrounded by appreciably better player is what has brought the best out of Griffiths IMO.

Speedy
30-11-2012, 06:32 PM
It seems strange looking back, but can anyone remember how underwhelmed a lot of fans were about Sparky when he first arrived?

His debut was that derby defeat when Thomson ignored Webster punching the ball off the goalline, although Leigh could have had a red card for scything down a hearts player after the ball had long gone. He didnt do much else. Calderwood had him playing out wide in a withdrawn position and he didn't score until his 9th game for us, after the St Mirren goalie missed the ball and he basically had an open goal. That was his only game in which he scored in 17 games under Calderwood. I remember reading lots of criticism of him on here, and even when Fenlon moved him up front and he finished with 8 goals in 30 games in 2011/12, there wasnt much evidence he'd be the player he is now.

Personally I feel Fenlon deserves more credit than he's getting for Griffiths development. Thoughts?

I thought he was a decent player but I wasn't convinced that he was clinical enough. He seemed lively but seemed to shoot straight at the keeper a lot.

Delighted to see that he's improved so much.

Just_Jimmy
30-11-2012, 06:48 PM
I thought he was decent. I just didnt think another clubs player was worth the time and effort his stinking attitude at the time was going to demand. Credit to paddy and to sparky for correcting that.

Wotherspiniesta
30-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Only seen him about twice for Dundee and I think it was obvious that he was a natural born scorer, given his record with them. He's taken a bit of time making the step up the SPL, but I for one, have never doubted his ability. Think he was trying a bit too hard last season when he got chances, but his workrate was always superb. Now he's playing in a settled, confident team playing with a strike partner who grafts for the team aswell (O'Connor's workrate was an embarassment last season) and revelling in it. Couldn't believe some posters didn't want him back and I would absolutely love it if we could sign him permanently :giruy:

FastEddieFelson
30-11-2012, 07:02 PM
put a decent player in a pish team, and chances are he'll look pretty pish

Baldy Foghorn
01-12-2012, 01:07 AM

The derby match I actually tipped LG to be sent off....His challenge was lucky to be only a yellow....

That said he has really improved beyond my wildest expectations, has worked on his temperament, and does a power of running.....Great player to have in the team......

lucky
01-12-2012, 05:57 AM
He was very poor under clueless but never played up front. At times last season his off the field issues effected his performances. This season though he has been outstanding and has improved so PF must get some credit for that