PDA

View Full Version : Sending off incident

Billychaotic182
28-11-2012, 10:39 PM
What happened with Leigh and McKay as there are lots of saint fans not happy on Facebook but no one will say why

givescotlandfreedom
28-11-2012, 10:43 PM
What happened with Leigh and McKay as there are lots of saint fans not happy on Facebook but no one will say why

I didn't know there were loads of Saints fans.

Ryan91
28-11-2012, 10:45 PM

One of their players was injured we gave the ball back to them, McKay looked to play it back to keeper but instead told him to turn around and try and punt it up the park, Sparky goes in and closes the man down (he has every right to do so as defender took a touch) and he doesn't take too kindly to Sparky's closing him down, they square up and McKay sticks the nut in, Sparky steps back but doesn't go down, doesn't react to McKay either.

Guid Lad.

JohnStephens91
28-11-2012, 10:46 PM
David Robertson was stretchered off after play was stopped and St Johnstone had possession of the ball, the ball was kicked down to their defence and after their defender had taken a touch Griffiths charged him down to make him play the ball quickly and it hit off Leigh and fell to a Hibs player. Mackay was hacked off and stuck the nut on Leigh about a minute later. Switch over to BBC Alba just now as it is about to happen on the delayed rerun of the game.

Capt Mainwaring
28-11-2012, 10:48 PM
After the SJ player was stretchered off the drop ball was played back to the SJ Goalie. Sparky chased it down and put pressure on the Goalie. Goalie still had plenty time to deal with it or pick it up but rushed a poor clearance.

It was game on after the drop ball and I've moaned for years that were always too soft for not competing or pressurising on these , so well done Sparky - great attitude and a will to win. That'll do for me :wink:

CallumLaidlaw
28-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Just watched on Alba but almost impossible to tell what happened

Baldy Foghorn
28-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Well done to Sparky for not reacting, he really has calmed down his temperament.....

Also well done to Pat Fenlon for making the sub, diffusing the situation, it was the smart thing to do.....

Jonnyboy
28-11-2012, 10:56 PM

Part of that statement is incorrect. They may be unhappy, but 'lots' of them? :greengrin

LaMotta
28-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Robertson has a broken leg apparently. Thought thomson was going to send griffiths off as well....

NOLA
28-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Robertson has a broken leg apparently. Thought thomson wad going to send griffiths off as well....

parrot :wink:

Twiglet
28-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I didn't see the incident on Alba, but the BBC highlights show it. Griffiths and MacKay are talking to each other from a distance when they get together (it's hard to see on my computer) it looks like MacKay butts Griffiths. Think it may have been the linesman that gave it, Thomson appears to have his back to it and is called over. In the replay of the other angle you can see the linesman watching the 2 of them as they approach each other so he must have been thinking something was going to happen.

Kaff
28-11-2012, 11:23 PM
parrot :wink:

Cheep dig!

s.a.m
29-11-2012, 06:28 AM
Robertson has a broken leg apparently. Thought thomson was going to send griffiths off as well....

What happened to him?

Broken Gnome
29-11-2012, 06:42 AM
Any chance at all that they might give Leigh a retrospective ban? TV's a bit unclear, fearing the worst and probably/hopefully for no great reason.

marinello59
29-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Any chance at all that they might give Leigh a retrospective ban? TV's a bit unclear, fearing the worst and probably/hopefully for no great reason.

I can't see how they can ban Griffiths unless they can prove that he said something totally outrageous. The St Johnstone player had to walk, he can have no complaints at all.

down-the-slope
29-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Well done to Sparky for not reacting, he really has calmed down his temperament.....

Also well done to Pat Fenlon for making the sub, diffusing the situation, it was the smart thing to do.....

:agree: on both counts

lets not miss the fact ref was well positioned and dealt with it well.....

Brooster
29-11-2012, 07:16 AM
I didn't see the incident on Alba, but the BBC highlights show it. Griffiths and MacKay are talking to each other from a distance when they get together (it's hard to see on my computer) it looks like MacKay butts Griffiths. Think it may have been the linesman that gave it, Thomson appears to have his back to it and is called over. In the replay of the other angle you can see the linesman watching the 2 of them as they approach each other so he must have been thinking something was going to happen.

Thomson seen the incident and sent McKay off immediately. the linesman wasn't involved at all.

Twiglet
29-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Thomson seen the incident and sent McKay off immediately. the linesman wasn't involved at all.

Watched it again since i posted, seen that Thomson saw it now. He had his back to them as he was dealing with the free kick, i thought initially that he didn't see but he'd turned in time to see what happened.
I still reckon the linesman saw what happened, it was Thomson' s involvement I'd missed initially.

Hermit Crab
29-11-2012, 10:24 AM
What happened to him?

Think it was a 50/50 with Caldwell.

hfc rd
29-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Doubt it. Not only Mackay but it looked as if their were 4-5 other St Johnstone players on top of Leigh. He did the right thing and just ignored them as he knew he did nothing wrong.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Think that the bigger picture is that St Johnstone lost their composure at the death because they should have had the game out of sight. Not sure of McKay is their captain, but he is one of their more senior players and really should have known better.

Kojock
29-11-2012, 11:59 AM
After the SJ player was stretchered off the drop ball was played back to the SJ Goalie. Sparky chased it down and put pressure on the Goalie. Goalie still had plenty time to deal with it or pick it up but rushed a poor clearance.

It was game on after the drop ball and I've moaned for years that were always too soft for not competing or pressurising on these , so well done Sparky - great attitude and a will to win. That'll do for me :wink:

Goalie wasn't involved in the incident. Tell me caller were you actually at the game. :wink:

cocopops1875
29-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Just a wee side note but what a total ring that McLean is for his pish with Big Ben and then his involvement in this incident

Golden Bear
29-11-2012, 01:20 PM
The incident is discussed in some detail here. I don't see what all the controversy is as Leigh did absolutely nothing wrong. The Saints lost the place after the goal - it's as easy as that.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/st-johnstone/203282-talking-point-should-leigh-griffiths-have-let-st-johnstone-have-the-ball/

Future17
29-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Hope he's back soon. Not nice to see folk injured, especially seriously so. :aok:

oconnors_strip
29-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Hope he's back soon. Not nice to see folk injured, especially seriously so. :aok:

Robertson is getting an operation on his broken leg today

Hermit Crab
29-11-2012, 03:26 PM
This piece below is taken from kickback, it's about Griffiths. Any truth in it?? We know mcpakes out.

Apparently he's been 'offered' a two game ban for something that happened last night and McPake is injured?

That is very pleasing indeed if true.

MacBean
29-11-2012, 03:41 PM
My initial fear was a retrospective red for Griffiths. Ive only saw the incident on BBC Alba and spoken to a few who were at the game and every account shows that Griffiths in no way on earth would deserve a red card for any involvement in the situation. The only thing Griffiths is "guilty" of is perhaps not allowing Saint Johnstone time on the ball after playing it back to them.

This will be another pre derby wind up. There hasn't been one sentence muttered in the media that would suggest it was an incident even worth looking at again.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if Craig Thomson had a change of heart over night

S4uzee
29-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Its about time hibs started doing things what griffiths did and not allowing them a free punt up the park in the closing stages. Well done wee man

MacBean
although apparently it's been said on forth one...
http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/193194-griffiths-cited-for-violent-conduct-misses-derby/page__st__25

Part/Time Supporter
This piece below is taken from kickback, it's about Griffiths. Any truth in it?? We know mcpakes out.

Apparently he's been 'offered' a two game ban for something that happened last night and McPake is injured?

That is very pleasing indeed if true.

Complete pish - a wind-up by a Dundee fan on Pie & Bovril.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?251321-Craig-Thomson/page3

big-mo
29-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Sparky tweeted last night to explain.

leigh griffiths ‏@LeighG28 (https://twitter.com/LeighG28) Just for every saints fan in the giving me stick, I kicked ball back to your goalie, hit your player in the back and goes to centre half....

leigh griffiths ‏@LeighG28

(https://twitter.com/LeighG28) What u want me to do let him have a free lump up the park??? Don't ***xing think so! As for the red card, it's NOT a sending off!

Also the original incident where Robertson was injured, it looked to be a foul to Hibs but Thomson saw nothing wrong, typical.

Hibercelona
29-11-2012, 04:06 PM
What u want me to do let him have a free lump up the park??? Don't ***xing think so!

:faf:

He's a mad man we Leigh is! :greengrin

:not worth

JimBHibees
29-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Sparky tweeted last night to explain.

leigh griffiths ‏@LeighG28 (https://twitter.com/LeighG28) Just for every saints fan in the giving me stick, I kicked ball back to your goalie, hit your player in the back and goes to centre half....

leigh griffiths ‏@LeighG28

(https://twitter.com/LeighG28) What u want me to do let him have a free lump up the park??? Don't ***xing think so! As for the red card, it's NOT a sending off!

Also the original incident where Robertson was injured, it looked to be a foul to Hibs but Thomson saw nothing wrong, typical.

Not being funny he really needs to either get off twitter or not respond to every numpty. Having a pop at the ref is ok for fans on forums but not for players IMO.

s.a.m
29-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Just said on Radio 5 that Lomas has been banned for 8 matches, following his sending off last night. Seems quite severe!:confused:

Golden Bear
29-11-2012, 05:10 PM
According to Radio Scotland.

I presume that the ban did take into consideration Lomas's latest indiscretion last night?

Part/Time Supporter
29-11-2012, 05:22 PM
According to Radio Scotland.

I presume that the ban did take into consideration Lomas's latest indiscretion last night?

No. This hearing was to do with him being sent off a couple of weeks ago at Celtic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20549791

iwasthere1972
29-11-2012, 05:34 PM
For misconduct in games against Celtic and Ross County. How many matches will he miss for last night?

Mr White
29-11-2012, 06:02 PM
once again a non old firm manager gets a really harsh punishment while lennon and mccoist get very lenient treatment for much worse behaviour imo- squaring up to each other, inciting the thuggish element in their respective supports and constantly questioning the integrity of referees, the authorities and opposition players and managers, usually while foaming at the mouth. The likes of lomas and adams get absolutely rammed for much less imo.

clerriehibs
29-11-2012, 06:55 PM
My initial fear was a retrospective red for Griffiths. Ive only saw the incident on BBC Alba and spoken to a few who were at the game and every account shows that Griffiths in no way on earth would deserve a red card for any involvement in the situation. The only thing Griffiths is "guilty" of is perhaps not allowing Saint Johnstone time on the ball after playing it back to them.

This will be another pre derby wind up. There hasn't been one sentence muttered in the media that would suggest it was an incident even worth looking at again.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if Craig Thomson had a change of heart over night

Tosh. Griffiths was guilty of nothing. The ref stopped play when they were going nowhere in the middle of the park. We gave them the ball back and one of their players took a touch. Then griffiths moved in to challenge. Absolutely nothing wrong with any of that other than it should have been a drop ball that both players challenged, as per the rules! What was sparky meant to have done - stand back and let the boy launch a last minute route one into our box? They weren't in a good enough position to do that when the ref blew, so why should they get an advantage from nothing after the ref stopped play?!?!

iwasthere1972
29-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Not being funny he really needs to either get off twitter or not respond to every numpty. Having a pop at the ref is ok for fans on forums but not for players IMO.

:agree: I would rather he did his talking on the pitch and not get involved in spats with idiots who can say almost anything and escape punishment whereas Leigh may not be so lucky. Should be in players contracts that they do not have Twitter accounts. I for one couldn't care less what they get up to off the pitch (so long as it is legal of course) or what they have for breakfast.