PDA

View Full Version : Ben Williams.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I personally thought he was getting away with some very ropey performances up to a few weeks ago, but he's cut out the superman impressions, and has started to come and take crosses well.

He's always been superb at saving one on ones, and great at shot saving, now he's looking an all round good keeper.

He was terrific tonight, and was just as important as Cairney scoring to win the game for us. :top marks

Liam89
28-11-2012, 09:50 PM
He was incredible imo.

Sean1875
28-11-2012, 09:50 PM
By far the best keeper weve had in a good few years IMO :agree:

Westie1875
28-11-2012, 09:51 PM
It feels great to have a decent keeper for once (who can stay fit), has been far too long! :agree:

Mon Dieu4
28-11-2012, 09:54 PM
he is a great shot stopper and as you say his decision making erratic at times, but im more than happy with him, if he was the finished article he wouldn't be at Hibs

Stenny
28-11-2012, 09:55 PM
He played well tonight, some great saves and got everyone organised. Long may it continue :agree:

lucky
28-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Penalty save was great but the follow up was fantastic. I agree best keeper we have had for years

SneakersO'Toole
28-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Hopefully the premature and sometimes moronic comments made about him will stop.

He has played a huge part in our points accumulation thus far. Some of his saves have been as important as Griffiths goals.

Keep up the good work Ben.

col02
28-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Williams as our last line of defence has proven as valuable this season as Griffiths up the other end. Must pull out a wonder save every match near enough.

3pm
28-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Oh f***!

Sure for a nightmare on Sunday!

Thecat23
28-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Said it from the start, Ben is a very good keeper and will get us points throught the season. Well done big man, and well done Hibs.

Newhaven
28-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Where's A Regulator to remind us how we let the best keeper on the planet Maka get away??

Ryan91
28-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Looks like Williams was MotM according to BBC Alba.

I find myself agreeing with this.

Malthibby
28-11-2012, 11:56 PM
His double save set up the win. All hail.....
:thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
28-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Where's A Regulator to remind us how we let the best keeper on the planet Maka get away??

There was 2 or 3 on here who made charity bets, bets for pints etc that Maka would be established first choice at a top half Championship or EPL club by now.

He's currently without a club, hope they have all paid up.

As for Williams. Good, solid keeper. Fantastic shot stopper and his decision making, for the most part, seems to be improving all the time.

Baldy Foghorn
28-11-2012, 11:57 PM
He dealt well with crosses tonight and his double save from the penalty was outstanding......

TheReg!
29-11-2012, 12:02 AM
We won't have won't he game if he hadn't pulled off that double save. Worthy of his MoM . Well done Ben! Roll on Sunday:pfgwa

essexhibee
29-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Did anyone not think when he stepped up that he was gonna save it? Was sure he was gonna save it!

Shrekko
29-11-2012, 02:04 AM
I wasn't that fussed before about him not being great on crosses because he genuinely is an amazing shot-stopper.

Quite often folk say that non-commanding keepers are good shot stoppers e.g Nick Colgan, but invariably they're just average and it's just that you're looking for positives. In Ben's case it's true- he's brilliant at it. If he was commanding he'd be in the Premiership- delighted he's at ER though. He'll win us many more games than he'll cost us.

kentao
29-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Best keeper in the SPL bar Forster (who is on fire). The last time i had any confidence in a keeper at Easter Road it was Jim Leighton. The big man has saved us a fair few points in his short time he has been here, long may it continue.

GGTTH

HibbySpurs
29-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Goalkeepers are much maligned and always have been. Ben's contribution last ight alone can not be understated. The double save was the direct catalyst that lead to us snatching victory from the jaws of defeat IMO.

'Keepers make a mistake they get hammered but all too often when they are the difference between winning and losing they get far too little credit in favour of the person that then scored the winning goal.

Think hes a great 'kepper and is a real asset to our team.

Well done last night Ben, keep it up with another clean sheet on Sunday please!!!

:flag::pfgwa

squire
29-11-2012, 09:30 AM
I posted this on the match thread at full time. My mates slate me for this but I quite like it :D

He's big
He's green
He keeps the sheets clean
Ben Williams, Ben Williams!

DarrenSQH
29-11-2012, 09:34 AM
He was brilliant last night, seems to be not bad at penalties.

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2012, 09:35 AM
I posted this on the match thread at full time. My mates slate me for this but I quite like it :D

He's big
He's green
He keeps the sheets clean
Ben Williams, Ben Williams!

We sing a similar song about Boltonhibs when we are travelling up on the train.

He's round and mellow

his sheets are always yellow

Moray Boyd, Moray Boyd.

Stevie Reid
29-11-2012, 09:38 AM
We have had 6 different combinations at the back this season, I shudder to think how some of our previous goalkeepers would have coped with such change - he has made mistakes that have cost us points, but has undoubtedly won them for us too, and, most importantly, you can tell the back four are comfortable with him behind them. Must be a long time since we had a goalkeeper start 17 games in a row as well.

Been a great signing thus far.

jodjam
29-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Great signing.

Noticable in threads which slate our keepers over the years that the goalie coach gets it tight too. So to keep a balance ;

Well done Scott Thompson :)

Albanian Hibs
29-11-2012, 10:11 AM
His follow up save to the penalty was top drawer. Hope we havent jinxed him for sunday now?

Hainan Hibs
29-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Did anyone not think when he stepped up that he was gonna save it? Was sure he was gonna save it!

Had a feeling he was going to save it, sometimes with penalties you just get that feeling the keeper is going to stop it.

Thought the rebound was destined for the back of the net though, but the big man was able to pull off an even better save.

Great performance.

--------
29-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Best keeper in the SPL bar Forster (who is on fire). The last time i had any confidence in a keeper at Easter Road it was Jim Leighton. The big man has saved us a fair few points in his short time he has been here, long may it continue.

GGTTH

He's not a Leighton or a Goram, but he certainly looks the part and the penalty-rebound double save was top class work.

:agree:

Stevie Reid
29-11-2012, 11:27 AM
He's not a Leighton or a Goram, but he certainly looks the part and the penalty-rebound double save was top class work.

:agree:

He'll certainly never match Jim's career but Williams' ability with the ball at his feet is far superior, and as such, he/we are not easily put under pressure.

hfc rd
29-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Our best GK since Leighton. He's been a fantastic buy by Paddy.

FifeHibernian
29-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Had a song idea... What about "Big Ben Williams... Big Ben Williams" to the tune that Big Ben makes?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9wWBjnaEck

Onion
29-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I personally thought he was getting away with some very ropey performances up to a few weeks ago, but he's cut out the superman impressions, and has started to come and take crosses well.

He's always been superb at saving one on ones, and great at shot saving, now he's looking an all round good keeper.

He was terrific tonight, and was just as important as Cairney scoring to win the game for us. :top marks

Good call :agree: Looks like the best we've had in years.

brog
29-11-2012, 08:15 PM
I said last season a strong keeper was a priority & glad to have been proven correct. Many posters on here were quite happy with Mark Brown. It may sound silly but sometimes keepers just look the part,
tall, athletic & confident. Ben has all these qualities whereas MB IMO looked like a wee boy who'd wandered on to the park. Great start Ben, much more please!