PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in the Champions League

Monts
28-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Looks like it could be a possibilty in the future

64 Team Champions League (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20523405)

Whats your thoughts on scrapping the Europa League for a larger Champions league?

LancashireHibby
28-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Whats your thoughts on scrapping the Europa League for a larger Champions league?
Utterly ridiculous. I don't think UEFA realise that domestic football is already suffering from overkill, and an expanded Champions League would do exactly the same on the continent. Not only that, but it's effectively just another step towards having the 'elite' clubs leaving their domestic leagues and just playing full-time in a European competition.

Cabbage East
28-11-2012, 11:34 AM
UEFA really are doing a great job of totally ruining european football.

Part/Time Supporter
28-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Makes sense, as the Europa League is dying on its arse. Also overnight makes domestic cups more relevant because they would then offer a place in the big tournament as a prize.

Hibs Class
28-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I preferred it when EUFA had three decent cup comps and didn't like the reduction to two. Cutting to just the CL would be worse, especially if they continue with the ridiculous number of qualifying rounds and seeding that we have just now - it would be pretty much the same teams in the groups every year.

LancashireHibby
28-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I preferred it when EUFA had three decent cup comps and didn't like the reduction to two. Cutting to just the CL would be worse, especially if they continue with the ridiculous number of qualifying rounds and seeding that we have just now - it would be pretty much the same teams in the groups every year.
That's exactly what they're aiming for IMHO. Surely everyone wants to see an underdog doing well every now and again but the seedings etc make that almost impossible, or is the underdog thing something unique to us that doesn't really transfer to the continent?

Juice-Terry
28-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Utterly ridiculous. I don't think UEFA realise that domestic football is already suffering from overkill, and an expanded Champions League would do exactly the same on the continent. Not only that, but it's effectively just another step towards having the 'elite' clubs leaving their domestic leagues and just playing full-time in a European competition.

Couldn't agree more. The UEFA bigwigs seem to be drooling over the prospect of constant 'glamour ties' between the top clubs in Europe. The domestic game is, and ought to remain, the bread and butter of club football. If UEFA get their wish local derbies will be a thing of the past for most clubs (although that's of course happening already in our case). A terrible prospect in my opinion.

Purple & Green
28-11-2012, 11:45 AM
"proper" "cup" football is becoming a thing of the past isn't it? At least where Europe is concerned. This convoluted set up to generate extra games and income for more teams is moving closer to american style groups with play offs and further away from straight knock out cups from the first round in.

I liked the old way to be honest, but I think Uefa doesn't really consider Hibs when it comes to the Champions League. They don't even really consider the likes of Celtic, either, although Celtic would kid you on that they do.

This is for the big clubs, I think the golden age of European club football passed a long, long time ago.

LeighLoyal
28-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Would that mean it was all on Sky? Surely means less money for the 32 in the tournament so I doubt it happens.

Leishy1995
28-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Don't mind it really. We in Scotland don't get far in Europa league so will the chance of playing teams in the champions league realllly make a difference?

Baader
28-11-2012, 02:08 PM
The UEFA Cup was a really good competition until it was ruined by UEFA...

Geo_1875
28-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Where will 3rd placed teams in the group stages go? Willl they create a new competition for them?

LancashireHibby
28-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Where will 3rd placed teams in the group stages go? Willl they create a new competition for them?
That depends on which teams are the ones finishing third.

Makaveli
28-11-2012, 02:43 PM
UEFA want the biggest clubs playing each other every week because they are short-sighted, money-grabbing idiots.

Hibercelona
28-11-2012, 02:45 PM
If a club gets knocked out of the Champions League, they should not just be aloud to stroll into the Europa Cup.

It's a complete farce.

Hibs07p
28-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I don't think it would make one bit of difference to Scotland. It would probably only be introduced to ensure more teams from the biggest leagues take part IMO.

LancashireHibby
28-11-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't think it would make one bit of difference to Scotland. It would probably only be introduced to ensure more teams from the biggest leagues take part IMO.
It would make a difference eventually though when it leads to a Europe-wide league and the ramifications of whether there would be promotion from domestic leagues etc, along with the end of European qualification unless any 'outcast' leagues got together to form a competition of their own.

Scouse Hibee
28-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Would much rather see a more elitist Champions league with the winners of each country's respective league only allowed to compete. Put the rest in the UEFA cup and bring back the European Cup Winners cup for domestic cup winners. It works I can ssure you :wink:

PeeJay
28-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Would much rather see a more elitist Champions league with the winners of each country's respective league only allowed to compete. Put the rest in the UEFA cup and bring back the European Cup Winners cup for domestic cup winners. It works I can ssure you :wink:

... spot on - but that was all when football was there for the supporters of the clubs, i.e. the guys who actually attend the games, now everything is arranged for television and making big clubs big money - and this current ploy only reinforces my view!

JohnScott
28-11-2012, 03:35 PM
There very name Champions league is a farce. Best just call it what it is for a start: The European Big Teams Cup. Its not even a frigin league!!

yeezus.
28-11-2012, 03:37 PM

:agree: I'd much rather see the Champions League be a league for Champions - and get rid of the unfairness of some leagues getting a few teams in automatically and others having to qualify even when they win their league.

hfc rd
28-11-2012, 03:43 PM
I think the Champions League should be for teams that win their domestic title. Not in some countries where teams finish 2nd & 3rd and find themselves in the group stage. What's the point calling it the Champions League if a handful of the teams aren't the reigning champions of their nation? Bring back the old UEFA Cup format and teams that finish 2nd in their domestic league, play in that competition.

hfc rd
28-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Totally agree. I hope Platini has seen your post.

iwasthere1972
28-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Champions League - They're having a laugh.

Would prefer that we reintroduce The Cup Winners Cup and divvy the money for all three competitions more fairly. That way we might see some teams wanting to win the lesser two of the three competitions and not cheat the fans by putting out a weakened team. Plus scrap the nonsense of letting teams that have been pumped out the Champions League enter any of the other two competitions.