PDA

View Full Version : Thread dedicated to those who took part in the Hands off Hibs campaign.

Hibrandenburg
28-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Just reading through the Yams meltdown thread and their plight, it got me thinking back to how different Hibs fans reacted to impending doom. So in honour of those who fought to save our club in its hour of need, I thought it would be fitting to dedicate a thread to them to show our gratitude.

My old boy (RIP) was heavily involved in the action at the time and told some cracking stories about what sort of schemes they got up to to try and thwart Mercer and his Banking backers. Unfortunately because all this took place prior to the interweb there is very little documentation or pics relating to the subject. I have a few clippings that the old man had kept in a box and will post them when I get the chance and would appreciate it if anyone else could maybe chip in with a few anecdotes or even a few newspaper clippings or personal photos.

Thanks

jodjam
28-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I wasn't involved in any official capacity but I certainly made sure plenty pubs were decorated with hands off hibs stickers.

I worked in same building mercer had an office in. Day 1 saw the windows tanned in.

Was a shareholder at the time so my bucket was full of the guff mercer would send wanting people to sell him their shares.

I can still remember the feeling when the local news broke the story that ftb had backed down. Few tears that night.

Ggtth

Hibby Gav
28-11-2012, 11:09 AM
A Terrible time..but the comradeship that came out of it was amazing
I managed to weasel my way into a delegation that met with Duff and Gray on the day it was all hitting the fan....hundreds outside ER in shock
My memory of the meeting was that they were shocked at what had happened and swore they would never sell their share to that **** of a man....

The HOH rally at ER was an emotional day...I stood next to Jimmy O'Rourke, tears a plenty...a bigger crowd than on matchday....and a smattering of traveling fans from down south and even a couple of yams in the old west.......
Sends shivers down my spine when I think about it....
The day is was all over...well....PARTY :) !

GGTTH ALWAYS
:flag:

brog
28-11-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm about to go out but will try to tell story of our visit to Downing St to deliver the petition tomorrow!! As a teaser, Nelson Mandela was inside visiting the witch Thatcher. We had the ANC supporters ( wearing green & black scarves ) chanting Nelson Mandela says " Hands Off Hibs ".

Soldiersteve
28-11-2012, 01:11 PM
I was on an overseas exercise with the Army when I heard. I had deployed earlier than the Sergeant Major who mentioned it to me when he arrived. As he was a bit of a wind up merchant I thought he was "at it".
Total disbelief when we got the Newspapers a few days later! If Mercer had appeared that day he would literally have been shot.
Well done to all involved in fighting him off.

GGTTH

Just_Jimmy
28-11-2012, 01:21 PM
I was born in 1985. Too young to remember but it's because of the hands of hibs guys I have a club so thank you all.

GGTTH.

Baldy Foghorn
28-11-2012, 01:24 PM
A horrible time in our history, but thankfully we came through it....

Too many people involved to mention individually but Kenny MacLean, the HSA, lots and lots of fans and STF....

To see where we are Today, and how others around are struggling, it makes it so pleasing that we have a sound financial plan is place.....The future's green....

RCNG
28-11-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm only 24 so can only go by old paper stories and what you guys did. Hairs on my neck stand up when I read about it!

Long live Hibernian.

Baldy Foghorn
28-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Will never forget the rally at ER, when I was in terracing. It was scorching weather, and most had Hands off Hibs t-shirts on....

When Joe Baker knelt down and kissed the hallowed turf, it was amazingly emotional......Will stay with me forever.....

DarrenSQH
28-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Did no one even consider having a bake sale?

Hibrandenburg
28-11-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm about to go out but will try to tell story of our visit to Downing St to deliver the petition tomorrow!! As a teaser, Nelson Mandela was inside visiting the witch Thatcher. We had the ANC supporters ( wearing green & black scarves ) chanting Nelson Mandela says " Hands Off Hibs ".

Please do.

Remember my dad telling me about a harassing tactic that the HOH group used against the Bank of Scotland who were payrolling Mercer's bid. They would turn up in large groups at the banks branches with a tenner's worth of 1p pieces and get it exchanged at the counter for a £10 note. They'd then go back to the end of the queue and stand in line until they got to the cashier and then asked to change the note back into 1p pieces again. They'd continue doing this all day and effectively disrupted the banks normal business. Simple but genius. :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
28-11-2012, 02:00 PM
I was on an overseas exercise with the Army when I heard. I had deployed earlier than the Sergeant Major who mentioned it to me when he arrived. As he was a bit of a wind up merchant I thought he was "at it".
Total disbelief when we got the Newspapers a few days later! If Mercer had appeared that day he would literally have been shot.
Well done to all involved in fighting him off.

GGTTH
Same with me and it was nail biting stuff due to the flow of information being so slow back then.

Makes the whole thing even more remarkable when you take into account the means of communication that we have today and that the Yams are no further than cake bakes.

LancashireHibby
28-11-2012, 02:00 PM
All a bit before my time, but the whole situation at the time is something that fascinates me, and we all owe a huge debt of gratitude to those involved at the time :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
28-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Will never forget the rally at ER, when I was in terracing. It was scorching weather, and most had Hands off Hibs t-shirts on....

When Joe Baker knelt down and kissed the hallowed turf, it was amazingly emotional......Will stay with me forever.....

Agree 100%.

Minder
28-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Mercer only backed down when it became clear we were not going to the gallows without a fight. He knew we could get to him and at zero hour he bottled it. I shudder to think what would have happened if he hadn't bottled it. One thing is sure we would not have been baking cakes!

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Great thread!

My father had passed away suddenly in the April this felt like another body blow. I came late to attending games (aged 17) but was always a supporter (5 generations of Leithers saw to that) . So it caught me by surprise just how much of my life was and still is wrapped up in Hibs.

I had a summer job at the DSS on Commercial street - lots of diehards there were in shock. Left as soon as flexi allowed and ran to the stadium. Awful feeling - completely shell shocked. Went to the rally at the Usher hall - to this day I'll respect Robbo for attending and speaking out - and the one at ER - it was the day that Stone Roses played Glasgow green. Went straight through from the rally to wait in line in my HOH t-shirt no bother at all - even the security guards let me pass without a pat down.

Thank God for Kenny Maclean and the other members of the team and STF to mobilise the support and save the Hibs - what a legacy to leave.

Without disrespect intended to the fallen - "Lest we forget".

Hibrandenburg
28-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Great thread!

My father had passed away suddenly in the April this felt like another body blow. I came late to attending games but was always a supporter (5 generations of Leithers saw to that) when I was 17. So it caught me by surprise just how much of my life was and still is wrapped up in Hibs.

I had a summer job at the DSS on Commercial street - lots of diehards there were in shock. Left as soon as flexi allowed and ran to the stadium. Awful feeling - completely shell shocked. Went to the rally at the Usher hall - to this day I'll respect Robbo for attending and speaking out - and the one at ER - it was the day that Stone Roses played Glasgow green. Went straight through from the rally to wait in line in my HOH t-shirt no bother at all - even the security guards let me pass without a pat down.

Thank God for Kenny Maclean and the other members of the team and STF to mobilise the support and save the Hibs - what a legacy to leave.

:top marks

gillythehibby
28-11-2012, 02:26 PM
I was about 20 at the time and was working in Glasgow when I heard the news. I refused to believe it. When I got home to Edinburgh it was across the front pages and on the News. I have to admit I burst into tears. I really did think it was the end of the Hibs. Still remember the day vividly. My old man raging and my old lady trying to re-assure me the Hibs would Survive. I was at the HOH rally at ER and remember Joe Baker kissing the turf. Met Joe at his testomonial dinner at the sheraton as well. Top Bloke and a true Hibs legend. A very worrying time tho. BIg Tony Higgins outstanding as well. God Bless the HIbs :flag:

ronaldo7
28-11-2012, 02:29 PM
When the news broke the first place I made for was Easter Road. Hundreds of guys all milling around outside waiting on answers and getting angrier by the minute. It took a good few hours before we all realised it was true, and the FTB was going to buy out Rolland et al and shut down Hibernian.

After the anger subsided, it was then round to the Hibs club to find out any news. The organisation which grew from the HSA was immense and the guys on the committee were instrumental on saving the club. The plans to buy shares/disrupt/persuade:wink: anyone with whom we could win our battle was like a scene from a war time movie.

Buses going round the town, getting the media onside, which culminated in the rally at Easter Road. Don't let the yams tell you otherwise, they were few and far between.

I always remember my son asking me at the rally if they will take Hibs away from us Dad. No son, No chance. At the time we didn't have enough shares to block the FTB and it was in the balance, however that day was to come.

I really don't think Mercer knew what he'd bitten off when he tried to waltz into town proclaiming their would only be one team in Edinburgh, and they would wear maroon. He brought the wrath of the Hibernian fans down on him that day, and unfortunately his family were put in harms way, he hadn't thought this through but his ego led him into the war he would never win.

GGTTH

HOH

Golden Bear
28-11-2012, 02:32 PM

:agree:

A lasting memory if ever there was.

A mixture of desperation, frustration and downright anger made me spend a considerable amount of money on Hibs shares but I really felt as though I was doing my bit if I could prevent the evil one from acquiring a majority stake.

Hibrandenburg
28-11-2012, 02:33 PM
When the news broke the first place I made for was Easter Road. Hundreds of guys all milling around outside waiting on answers and getting angrier by the minute. It took a good few hours before we all realised it was true, and the FTB was going to buy out Rolland et al and shut down Hibernian.

After the anger subsided, it was then round to the Hibs club to find out any news. The organisation which grew from the HSA was immense and the guys on the committee were instrumental on saving the club. The plans to buy shares/disrupt/persuade:wink: anyone with whom we could win our battle was like a scene from a war time movie.

Buses going round the town, getting the media onside, which culminated in the rally at Easter Road. Don't let the yams tell you otherwise, they were few and far between.

I always remember my son asking me at the rally if they will take Hibs away from us Dad. No son, No chance. At the time we didn't have enough shares to block the FTB and it was in the balance, however that day was to come.

I really don't think Mercer knew what he'd bitten off when he tried to waltz into town proclaiming their would only be one team in Edinburgh, and they would wear maroon. He brought the wrath of the Hibernian fans down on him that day, and unfortunately his family were put in harms way, he hadn't thought this through but his ego led him into the war he would never win.

GGTTH

HOH

:top marks

southsider
28-11-2012, 02:39 PM
I was a bit of a commie back then so it was fun trying to screw up the banks as well as waldo's bid. Went to visit him one time but only reached the outer perimeter of his house and garage. Left a little "momento" of our visit. Next thing in the early hours he is on the phone to the committee in the Hibs Club screaming down the line "call of your dogs i'm packing it in".

jdships
28-11-2012, 02:47 PM
A Terrible time..but the comradeship that came out of it was amazing
I managed to weasel my way into a delegation that met with Duff and Gray on the day it was all hitting the fan....hundreds outside ER in shock
My memory of the meeting was that they were shocked at what had happened and swore they would never sell their share to that **** of a man....

The HOH rally at ER was an emotional day...I stood next to Jimmy O'Rourke, tears a plenty...a bigger crowd than on matchday....and a smattering of traveling fans from down south and even a couple of yams in the old west.......
Sends shivers down my spine when I think about it....
The day is was all over...well....PARTY :) !

GGTTH ALWAYS

There is a lot to this story that has never been told and never will .
I drove my boss and his wife to Glasgow on a Friday night ( they were going to the opera) and on the way home ( he had had a few swallies) he announced
' Your going to lose your football team '
and went on tell me they had spent the evening in the company of Waldo and he had given them the news
THIS WAS SIX WEEKS BEFORE THE STORY BROKE IN THE PRESS
I was called into his office the next morning before 09.00 and 'warned' as to the consequences if I mentioned this to anyone !!!!

In the next few weeks a series of meeting s were held at an Hotel in Fife between Duff/Gray etal and Mercer and his reps .
I drove the boss and was present at all of them .
As much as I personally mistrusted Duff and Gray I had the greatest admiration for them both when they refused to sell up with out legally binding undertakings to preserve HFC name and the club. .
The story then broke and the rest is history as they say

Pretty Boy
28-11-2012, 02:53 PM
I drove my boss and his wife to Glasgow on a Friday night ( they were going to the opera) and on the way home ( he had had a few swallies) he announced
and went on tell me they had spent the evening in the company of Waldo and he had given them the news
I was called into his office the next morning before 09.00 and 'warned' as to the consequences if I mentioned this to anyone !!!!

In the next few weeks a series of meeting s were held at an Hotel in Fife between Duff/Gray etal and Mercer and his reps .
As much as I personally mistrusted Duff and Gray I had the greatest admiration for them both when they refused to sell up with out legally binding undertakings to preserve HFC name and the club. .

Interesting you say some parts of the story will never come out.

I've always thought that after such a length of time having passed and a few of the key players no longer with us that a bit of real in depth investigative journalism would have made for an interesting book and a sure fire bestseller in Edinburgh.

JimBHibees
28-11-2012, 02:54 PM

Why not?

legends of 73
28-11-2012, 02:55 PM
I was working the door at the last drop when the fat twat drove past parked his car and headed for one of the restaurants in the grassmarket. I proceeded towards him and was about to give him it when one of his heavies gave me a dull one:confused:. I couldn't believe the twat had the balls to head out in town only a few days into the takeover with feeling running high. I wish we had mobile phones back then as I could have had a healthy mob there within minutes

jdships
28-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Interesting you say some parts of the story will never come out.

I've always thought that after such a length of time having passed and a few of the key players no longer with us that a bit of real in depth investigative journalism would have made for an interesting book and a sure fire bestseller in Edinburgh.

I had to sign an undertaking that I would not ' discuss/divulge what was discussed ' at these three meetings before the story broke .
An undertaking I will not break
However I agree totally with what you say about ' investigative journalism ' - that should have been done years ago
Personally I feel with Mercer dead ,Duff and Gray being wherever and STF having put the club on a sound financial footing it is perhaps the time to say a big thankyou to him and let it be

SlickShoes
28-11-2012, 03:03 PM
I was about 7 or so and was one of the hibs kids getting paraded about the pitch that day with the players and ex players, it was fantastic, I collect a good few scarves that all the nice guys in the east were chucking at us!

I was too young to really understand it at the time but I was aware that we were all there to stop wallace mercer killing hibs, and it worked, 7 year old me felt like part of it.

One of the lasting memories from that day I have was seeing hearts/rangers/st johnstone/dundee etc fans in the stadium supporting our cause to save hibs and not see us go to the wall.

hibeelady
28-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Hate iPhones - such an emotional time. I remember being dressed in full hibs strip outside C&A in princes street with my collection tin. Lots of posters being put up all over town and plastering any spare spot with stickers. Amazing loyalty and togetherness from hibs fans and that rally at ER was so emotional. I remember the hibs club the night the club was saved drinking champagne, it was wonderful!!

gogse
28-11-2012, 03:09 PM
I remember the first derby at Easter Road after Mercer backed down. The atmosphere was unbelievably charged (so much hatred that had been bottled up, now coming to vent).

I think (memory’s fading) Robbo scored (at away end) and was celebrating to his fans (between the goal post and the corner flag at east terracing), when one of our boys jumped onto the pitch to get at Robbo, Goram stopped him getting to Robbo, by grabbing him in a bear hug, then a jambo jumped onto the pitch and belted our boy (while Goram still had him in the bear hug). The place erupted. I think if it wasn’t for the fencing around the terracing there would have been a pitch invasion.

The jambo got done for assault and our boy got a rap on the knuckles for jumping on the pitch.

Such was the passion of the time.

Ringothedog
28-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Great thread!

My father had passed away suddenly in the April this felt like another body blow. I came late to attending games (aged 17) but was always a supporter (5 generations of Leithers saw to that) . So it caught me by surprise just how much of my life was and still is wrapped up in Hibs.

I worked there for years, I was allowed to leave straight away. Never been so down in my life, most of my free time was spent in the Hibs club trying to get info on what was happening. One thing I do remember was on the day of the Hands of Hibs rally me and my mates were handing out leaflets asking for support to march to the top of Leith street and then do a sit down protest. I was tannoyed at the rally and told in no uncertain terms to make sure that it didn't happen.

hibee_girl
28-11-2012, 03:32 PM
I was only 4 at the time but I have such clear memories of going to the stadium with the rest of the family, probably still got the HOH tshirt somewhere!

Watford_Mark
28-11-2012, 03:32 PM

hehe, I knew this gem would appear. Cant wait for your recollections again brog ;)

Mark

Tricla
28-11-2012, 03:37 PM
I was only about 10 years old but had a tshirt with 'Hibs 1 Mercer 0 on the front! Loved it.

IIRC my dad and I popped up from Duns to attend one of the rallies.

Thanks to all who helped get one right roond the FTB.

Hibercelona
28-11-2012, 03:38 PM
I remember the first derby at Easter Road after Mercer backed down. The atmosphere was unbelievably charged (so much hatred that had been bottled up, now coming to vent).

I think (memory’s fading) Robbo scored (at away end) and was celebrating to his fans (between the goal post and the corner flag at east terracing), when one of our boys jumped onto the pitch to get at Robbo, Goram stopped him getting to Robbo, by grabbing him in a bear hug, then a jambo jumped onto the pitch and belted our boy (while Goram still had him in the bear hug). The place erupted. I think if it wasn’t for the fencing around the terracing there would have been a pitch invasion.

The jambo got done for assault and our boy got a rap on the knuckles for jumping on the pitch.

Such was the passion of the time.

I'm somewhat glad that I was far too young to have any recollection of the events.

These *******s celebrating like they had won the league by beating a Hibs team that was severely weakened by a man that they still try to hail as a legend.

They're like present day Nazi's with an almighty love-in for Adolph Hitler.

I can't wait for that institution to finally die and I hope they never come back. :bye:

JIm
28-11-2012, 03:55 PM
The greatest victory ever for our great club?

Pretty emotional stuff reading through this, thanks for the stories folks, im looking forward to a few more of them on the bus to the game tonight.

GGTTH

JustSimplyHibs
28-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Mercer only backed down when it became clear we were not going to the gallows without a fight. He knew we could get to him and at zero hour he bottled it. I shudder to think what would have happened if he hadn't bottled it. One thing is sure we would not have been baking cakes!

Mind seeing an interview on sky sports (still got the VHS recording of it somewhere in a box), he pulled out following the death threats and constantly checking his car for a bomb, police guard at his home...he feared for his and his family's life!

The ****s ought to remember it would have been the end of their club as well and not just ours :wink:

gogse
28-11-2012, 04:11 PM
This has been put up before on another thread but here’s a reminder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPyyqI9WjSQ

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2012, 04:15 PM
I worked there for years, I was allowed to leave straight away. Never been so down in my life, most of my free time was spent in the Hibs club trying to get info on what was happening. One thing I do remember was on the day of the Hands of Hibs rally me and my mates were handing out leaflets asking for support to march to the top of Leith street and then do a sit down protest. I was tannoyed at the rally and told in no uncertain terms to make sure that it didn't happen.

Funny that I was going to mention (you?) If you're the Brian I remember from then you were indeed gutted but took action and I think you tried to setup collections to buy shares. Norrie and a guy with black curly hair who looked like Sid out of Viz were Hibbies there i remember. There was a kind old dear who worked there was kind of a mother figure and she was mrs Hibs and I think she was told to go home she was visibly shocked. Just not possible to concentrate on work that day.

i worked in the section alongside Joanne tall lass with blonde/red hair

Hiber-nation
28-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Scanning in some press cuttings....will post them up later.

Kato
28-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Mercer pulled out claiming he had "won the business fight but had lost the social one". Which implies he could have went through with killing Hibs off but didn't because he didn't want to do so. Fact is he had 66% of shares under his control. In Hibernian's constitution there is a clause saying that 75% control is required to close the club down. He lost both the business and the societal arguments. If Duff and Gray had caved in and sold him their shares he would have had enough. In fact another person who didn't buckle to Rowland and Mercer was Rowland's wife, who sat on Hibs board as his representative and "caught the bug" so refused to sell her shares.

I reckon if Mercer had gained 75-76% he would have went ahead and closed Hibs down, his ego would have demanded it. I always remember the look of shock on his face during a press conference when he was bleating about the death threats and bombs claiming it was "tribal". No **** Sherlock, football fans are tribal - him being a rugby type he just never got it. Fact is this tribe wasn't going under to that fat **** and he lost every argument and deal he put in motion throughout the whole business as he was never at any time in a position to put Hibs to the sword. He tried to repaint it later and put a gloss on it as though he had "saved" Hibs but that was just typical of him, podgy fingered, sweaty faced lies.

Hope it's hot down there. Damn hot.

hibbybob
28-11-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm somewhat glad that I was far too young to have any recollection of the events.

These *******s celebrating like they had won the league by beating a Hibs team that was severely weakened by a man that they still try to hail as a legend.

They're like present day Nazi's with an almighty love-in for Adolph Hitler.

I can't wait for that institution to finally die and I hope they never come back. :bye:

Mercer didn't weaken Hibs, Duff and Gray did that due to their greed / niavity in trusting Roland. Thankfully they did the right thing in the end by not selling out to Mercer.

Mercer was an egotistical ****bag who entered the takeover with absolutely no thought for the feeling of the Hibs community - he was only out to line his pockets!

However, in a strange/perverse way we actually have something to thank him for as his actions united us and gave us a loathed figure to focus on and fight. It was probably fortunate that it was Mercer that tried to close us down (asset strip) as an unknown such as Rowland would have been much harder to get to and would not have felt the fan power from their Monaco base!

I don't think Mad Vlad will worry about fan pressure when he finally decides to close HoMFC down and I don't think the ****bos will be as engaged as we were in 1990.

GGTTH

JIm
28-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Funny that I was going to mention (you?) If you're the Brian I remember from then you were indeed gutted but took action and I think you tried to setup collections to buy shares. Norrie and a guy with black curly hair who looked like Sid out of Viz were Hibbies there i remember. There was a kind old dear who worked there was kind of a mother figure and she was mrs Hibs and I think she was told to go home she was visibly shocked. Just not possible to concentrate on work that day.

Did ye pump her? :aok::top marks

sadtom
28-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Is that Bri D? GJ here, i remember it was my leaflets i think? Trying to do an impromtue march to the east end of princess street after the rally and block the traffic and cause a bit of chaos. :-) But we got rumbled and when you got the tannoy message during the rally and were told the cops had got wind of it and were going to nick you if it went ahead. I had earlier been at the miners gala that morning leafleting that too. :-)

I remember when the news broke i was a postie and headed straight to the ground, all sorts of emotions that day and for the next few weeks.
Thankfully, it all turned out well but by christ we got a fright.
All sorts of effort went in, I probably endeed up about 2 months wages light, (many others much more) organising collections raffles at my work, petitions, threats of violence, vandalism, all of it justified imho.
It was the fact that we used a 'by any means neccessary' approach that we succeeded.
Brains and brawn (no jambos, not 'bran', thats scones for your cake bake:greengrin), were required.
I will be forever proud of the Hibs support for the way we stood up and were counted. Collectively we are not to be f***ed with :greengrin and i've never felt closer to the club or as proud to support Hibernian and stand with all the folk who did what they could to see us survive.

Cause i knew David Hardie and others at the evening news the photo of my 'wallet mercenary' crappy homemade banner keeps getting regurgitated in the paper from time to time. I still have it and when i told him it was still in an old box when he contacted me for a quote, he asked me to dig it out and i got the pic with me and my laddies on the 20th aniversary in the paper.

GGTTH

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Maybe intervening years and beers got in the way but The thing i recall that got me at the time was the football authorities stood by and did effectively nothing and would only judge whether it was proper was after the take over had gone through. Nuts.

Hiber-nation
28-11-2012, 04:44 PM
4/5 June 1990 - when the news broke....

Hiber-nation
28-11-2012, 04:45 PM
More...

Hiber-nation
28-11-2012, 04:45 PM

Ringothedog
28-11-2012, 04:46 PM

Yeh, that was me!! The woman you are referring to was Betty Clancy(God rest her soul). She was a fantastic Hibs supporter, went everywhere with them.
Norrie, kenny, George, Jim and afew others in that office were all good Hibby's. The guy you refer to as "sid" was a Hibs supporter as well. If it is who I think you mean. He was given a life sentence for murder!!:crazy:

Hiber-nation
28-11-2012, 04:47 PM
14 July - when we won the fight

Hibs07p
28-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Maybe intervening years and beers got in the way but The thing i recall that got me at the time was the football authorities stood by and did effectively nothing and would only judge whether it was proper was after the take over had gone through. Nuts.

You're correct. there was no response whatsoever from the footballing authorities. They let it run it's course, and I don't think there were any meetings from the authorities to discus what had happened, or to ensure rules were put in place to prevent a hostile take over from a rival, who's only aim was to destroy a member club, and to financially benefit from that clubs demise.

GGTTH

I'm sure Mercer got a binman his jotters for giving him the V sign.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Did ye pump her? :aok::top marks

I think Joanne did karate so not to be messed with she'd have given you a swift kick in the baws for that comment :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Yeh, that was me!! The woman you are referring to was Betty Clancy(God rest her soul). She was a fantastic Hibs supporter, went everywhere with them.
Norrie, kenny, George, Jim and afew others in that office were all good Hibby's. The guy you refer to as "sid" was a Hibs supporter as well. If it is who I think you mean. He was given a life sentence for murder!!:crazy:
Wow knew he was a Hibby (first name began with P?) and a bit eccentric - generally the air turned blue with his conversation and but wouldn't have foreseen that!

norhfc
28-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Heard the news on the radio and headed right to Easter Road.There was a crowd there already with news cameras etc.We where all invited round to the Hibs club to an emergency meeting.I,m sure Kenny Waugh spoke with a few others.HOH was born there and we all ended up singing.I mind sneaking into the print room at work and copying 100s of HOH posters.The rally at the Usher Hall and the HOH at Easter Road,an emotional time alright.The Jambos where very quiet as was the rest of Scottish football.We where on our own.Being told we would never see Hibs play again certainly got us together very quicky.Have to mention Kenny Waugh,together with many others where hero,s. :agree:

iwasthere1972
28-11-2012, 05:18 PM
My nephews were there with their dad. There's a video on Youtube with my nephew on one of the Proclaimers (can't remember which one) shoulders on the pitch. :thumbsup:

:flag: :flag: :flag:

Ringothedog
28-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Is that Bri D? GJ here, i remember it was my leaflets i think? Trying to do an impromtue march to the east end of princess street after the rally and block the traffic and cause a bit of chaos. :-) But we got rumbled and when you got the tannoy message during the rally and were told the cops had got wind of it and were going to nick you if it went ahead. I had earlier been at the miners gala that morning leafleting that too. :-)

I remember when the news broke i was a postie and headed straight to the ground, all sorts of emotions that day and for the next few weeks.
Thankfully, it all turned out well but by christ we got a fright.
All sorts of effort went in, I probably endeed up about 2 months wages light, (many others much more) organising collections raffles at my work, petitions, threats of violence, vandalism, all of it justified imho.
It was the fact that we used a 'by any means neccessary' approach that we succeeded.
Brains and brawn (no jambos, not 'bran', thats scones for your cake bake:greengrin), were required.
I will be forever proud of the Hibs support for the way we stood up and were counted. Collectively we are not to be f***ed with :greengrin and i've never felt closer to the club or as proud to support Hibernian and stand with all the folk who did what they could to see us survive.

Cause i knew David Hardie and others at the evening news the photo of my 'wallet mercenary' crappy homemade banner keeps getting regurgitated in the paper from time to time. I still have it and when i told him it was still in an old box when he contacted me for a quote, he asked me to dig it out and i got the pic with me and my laddies on the 20th aniversary in the paper.

GGTTH

Hi Gary, they were indeed your leaflets. How you doing ? They were worrying times but the effort we all put in was worth it when the FTB gave up on the takeover because it was never a merger, there would have been one team in Edinburgh called Heart of Midlothian,playing in maroon and at Tynecastle. I still hate that man to this day!!

Ringothedog
28-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Wow knew he was a Hibby (first name began with P?) and a bit eccentric - generally the air turned blue with his conversation and but wouldn't have foreseen that!

Possibly thinking of a different person, this guys initials are SR

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-11-2012, 05:30 PM
What a day that was @ ER for the rally, Sunshine on Leith indeed.

jdships
28-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Mercer pulled out claiming he had "won the business fight but had lost the social one". Which implies he could have went through with killing Hibs off but didn't because he didn't want to do so. Fact is he had 66% of shares under his control. In Hibernian's constitution there is a clause saying that 75% control is required to close the club down. He lost both the business and the societal arguments. If Duff and Gray had caved in and sold him their shares he would have had enough. In fact another person who didn't buckle to Rowland and Mercer was Rowland's wife, who sat on Hibs board as his representative and "caught the bug" so refused to sell her shares.

I reckon if Mercer had gained 75-76% he would have went ahead and closed Hibs down, his ego would have demanded it. I always remember the look of shock on his face during a press conference when he was bleating about the death threats and bombs claiming it was "tribal". No **** Sherlock, football fans are tribal - him being a rugby type he just never got it. Fact is this tribe wasn't going under to that fat **** and he lost every argument and deal he put in motion throughout the whole business as he was never at any time in a position to put Hibs to the sword. He tried to repaint it later and put a gloss on it as though he had "saved" Hibs but that was just typical of him, podgy fingered, sweaty faced lies.

Hope it's hot down there. Damn hot.

That is as near the truth as it will ever be .
Away from the meetings when the tea and cakes were up Mercer could not understand 'Tribalism' .
One of the lawyers tried to explain to him that ' ...........tribalism is your family ,your football club, rugby club in fact any group where a number of people have similar interests which bonds them together '
He made some frivilous remark about '..these are the sort of people who will never be successful in business '
The amazing thing was that from the first meeting he was SO SURE he would be successful .
He couldn't believe that Duff/Gray and of course Mrs R were putting the club/supporters before profit .

johnbc70
28-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Great thread and makes you proud to be part of the Hibs family.

Ringothedog
28-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Great thread and makes you proud to be part of the Hibs family.

:agree::flag:

Gatecrasher
28-11-2012, 06:02 PM
My Dad ditched work and took us to the Rally, was too young to remember but he bought us all HOH T-Shirts

I love our club - GGTTH

GoldenEagle
28-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Was 14 and heard the news coming back from a football tournament abroad, tears first and then rage. Even at that age I'd like to think that I "done my bit", whether it be protest, 'direct action' :wink:, stickers or just being there I feel proud of what we achieved.

I remember feeling like I'd lost a family member when Kenny McLean Snr died, for me he typified the spirit at the time and the minutes silence at the next home game (v Falkirk mid-day and mid-week IIRC) I just thought of his words and shed a tear of thanks to him:

"Hibernian will never die, we will rise again like the Pheonix from the ashes"

c31
28-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Was involved with a bit of fund raising during these dark times with others from Hibs club. I was in the kiosk 1/2 way up the stairs in the old North Stand selling the T shirts on the day of the rally, also I remember being on a Bus with the Proclaimers & other well kent faces going round Leith (Pageant) and still to this day my Kids who were 2/3 years old at the time still refers to open decked busses as Hibees busses.

hfc rd
28-11-2012, 06:27 PM
I wasn't born at the time nor was I born in Edinburgh and raised as a hibee. I was born in Manchester and was raised by my family as a man utd supporter before I moved to Edinburgh in 2000 and from there I adopted hibs as my Scottish club. All my hibby mates have told me stories about the day when the news broke out and the huge amount of effort from everyone trying to save the club is simply incredible. Reading all these posts in this thread, it makes me proud that I adopted this club as my Scottish club. If it wasn't for all you guys who fought tooth and nail for this club against that dead rat who is deservedly rotting in hell then Hibernian Football Club would be extinct.

Reading the posts in this thread has pumped me up even more up for this Sundays match.

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
28-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Best thing about the whole situation was it was Mercers own ego that played a part in scuppering the deal.

If he had been able to keep his trap shut a lot of dirty deals could have been concluded with no one knowing. As it was he couldn't resist running his mouth to the press and it gave Hibs fans a chance to fight back.

adhibs
28-11-2012, 07:11 PM
I was only about 10 years old but had a tshirt with 'Hibs 1 Mercer 0 on the front! Loved it.

IIRC my dad and I popped up from Duns to attend one of the rallies.

Thanks to all who helped get one right roond the FTB.

would look good on a banner for sunday

fat freddy
28-11-2012, 07:12 PM
i was working nights at the time and spent my days outside easter rd hoping my presence meant something to someone...was at the first big meeting in the hibs clubrooms when a commitee of sorts was nominated...was at the big rally when the support really bared its teeth and by coincidence was in Gordons Trattoria on the night that we were saved...sitting at the next table to Duff and Gray!...i had a go at them for partying with their wives and friends as i never knew we were saved...Gray explained everything to me when i followed him to the toilet with the intention of inflicting pain on his person...he then sent a bottle of wine over to my table just to prove that he really is a decent bloke....and all was well in the shires once more.

nonshinyfinish
28-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Too young, but to all those involved... :applause:

GGTTH.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2012, 07:41 PM
We choose to support the Hibbees. We choose to support the Hibees in these decades and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

What JFK meant to say :)

greenginger
28-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Back in the summer of 1990 I door-stepped David spotty Rowland at his pad in Monte Carlo.

A mate and myself had driven over for the World Cup and were staying a few days in a small hotel in Monte and were having a day on the beach. On the way back, I spied the Houston Palace Apartments and inside was the name Rowland with his apt no. Unfortunately the security would not let me go up, dressed as I was in my Scotland top and beach shorts. I asked the the guy if he could phone Mr Rowland and pass on a message which he did.

The message was there was some Hibs supporters downstairs wanting answers to some questions and there are two more bus loads coming in tonight(which was bullsh*t ) and would be round to see him in the morning. Mr Rowland's reply was he was too busy to see anyone.

Later that night I got Rowland's phone number from the local directory and spent the evening making series of calls to his flat from a local bar. Eventually after listening to pleadings from his wife I gave up and we moved on to Italy the following day.

I don't know if it did any good, but it certainly let him know the South of France would not be far enough if Hibs had been wiped out.

Hibrandenburg
28-11-2012, 07:45 PM
4/5 June 1990 - when the news broke....

Brillant mate, just the sort of thing I was hoping for :thumbsup:

Thanks to all for their input, got a wee tear in my eye and swelling lump of pride in my throat.

:hibees

Hiber-nation
28-11-2012, 07:56 PM

Thanks to all for their input, got a wee tear in my eye and swelling lump of pride in my throat.

Nae probs, really glad I kept hold of them :thumbsup:

Can't believe how supportive the Record were in these days, they also did a very informative centre-spread about it all, changed days.

VickMackie
28-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Back in the summer of 1990 I door-stepped David spotty Rowland at his pad in Monte Carlo.

A mate and myself had driven over for the World Cup and were staying a few days in a small hotel in Monte and were having a day on the beach. On the way back, I spied the Houston Palace Apartments and inside was the name Rowland with his apt no. Unfortunately the security would not let me go up, dressed as I was in my Scotland top and beach shorts. I asked the the guy if he could phone Mr Rowland and pass on a message which he did.

The message was there was some Hibs supporters downstairs wanting answers to some questions and there are two more bus loads coming in tonight(which was bullsh*t ) and would be round to see him in the morning. Mr Rowland's reply was he was too busy to see anyone.

Later that night I got Rowland's phone number from the local directory and spent the evening making series of calls to his flat from a local bar. Eventually after listening to pleadings from his wife I gave up and we moved on to Italy the following day.

I don't know if it did any good, but it certainly let him know the South of France would not be far enough if Hibs had been wiped out.

Great story.

I was too young to remember anything. Was there not HOH banners across the back of busses or did I imagine that.

Keep the stories coming. :greengrin

whereswallace?
28-11-2012, 08:10 PM

Im the same, reading this and listening to the team that was. I just turned to my girlfriend and said, I ****in love Hibs.

Hibrandenburg
28-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Im the same, reading this and listening to the team that was. I just turned to my girlfriend and said, I ****in love Hibs.

You soppy romantic auld sod. :greengrin

fatbloke
28-11-2012, 08:13 PM
I actually moved house from Musselburgh to Port Seton on the day of the rally. My wife told me to go to the rally as i would be no fekkin use to anyone in PS while the rally was going on. Duly went along with my framed share certificate, my 1000 shares cost me £585 - god how for a few years i could have done with that cash, but Wallet Merecenary was getting hee-haw and that thanks to many was how it remained.

Remember demo at the bank on the Mound, meeting in Hibs club when story broke and being introduced to Kenny McLean, Ian Brennan, Douglas Cromb, Alan Thom, Scott Murray, Dougie Murray disnae count because I new him already and he already was a legend:greengrin Brian Penman and Peter Janetta all Hibs legends - in my eyes. These guys over the next few years did plenty to ensure Hibs survived - for that I thank them.

1990 proved to me that my club would never die and we won't unlike.........

GGTTH

whereswallace?
28-11-2012, 08:24 PM
You soppy romantic auld sod. :greengrin

Im definately a keeper :greengrin

semaj64
28-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Yes remember the rally at ER on that hot day. Good turnout and positive action you knew it was we were not going away. Great feeling when we survived.

Did John Leslie wear a Hibs or hoh shirt on Blue Peter?

ronaldo7
28-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Yes remember the rally at ER on that hot day. Good turnout and positive action you knew it was we were not going away. Great feeling when we survived.

Did John Leslie wear a Hibs or hoh shirt on Blue Peter?

Technofob
28-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Mind seeing an interview on sky sports (still got the VHS recording of it somewhere in a box), he pulled out following the death threats and constantly checking his car for a bomb, police guard at his home...he feared for his and his family's life!

The ****s ought to remember it would have been the end of their club as well and not just ours :wink:

My mate lived on the same road and shared the same surname as the ftb-what are the chances:confused:

Me and a couple of pals were in the house in the wee small hours 1 weekend when a group of 'active campaigners' paid a visit to the wrong house.
f/kn hell you've never seen so many polis, dogs vans etc in 1 street as when he phoned 999. Half of L&B's finest must have been posted in Crammond.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2012, 09:36 PM
My mate lived on the same road and shared the same surname as the ftb-what are the chances:confused:

Me and a couple of pals were in the house in the wee small hours 1 weekend when a group of 'active campaigners' paid a visit to the wrong house.
f/kn hell you've never seen so many polis, dogs vans etc in 1 street as when he phoned 999. Half of L&B's finest must have been posted in Crammond.

How much did he get for the story?

Tom Hart RIP
28-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Still got the HoH tee shirt but it seems to have shrunk. I remember Kenny McLean's speech then King Pat before Joe Baker kissed the turf.
Did wee Robbo speak that day? I have a vague memory of hearing him but it may have been somewhere else?

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Still got the HoH tee shirt but it seems to have shrunk. I remember Kenny McLean's speech then King Pat before Joe Baker kissed the turf.
Did wee Robbo speak that day? I have a vague memory of hearing him but it may have been somewhere else?

Robbo spoke at the Usher hall.

ginger_rice
28-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I recall a HoH banner shown all over the world at a Scotland world cup match think it was in Genoa??

When the news broke about Mercer's bid I couldn't sleep for days, never really knew just how much Hibs can get under your skin until that point.

Tom Hart RIP
28-11-2012, 09:52 PM
That's right. I remember now. That was a great night as well Cheers

ronaldo7
28-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Cardownie spoke at the rally IIRC.

Golden Bear
28-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Cardownie spoke at the rally IIRC.

He must have been able to claim expenses then.

Minder
28-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Still remember an old timer coming on the mike and saying " I fought the Nazis and Hitler couldnae stop me watching the Hibs and this Tory Bast*** aint got stop me watching the Hibs either".

Technofob
28-11-2012, 10:08 PM
How much did he get for the story?

Don't know if he made any money from it but he certainly got a panic button and a police guard for the duration.

Minder
28-11-2012, 10:11 PM

At the time Gamekeepers Road certainly was busy !

Technofob
28-11-2012, 10:16 PM
At the time Gamekeepers Road certainly was busy !

What are the chances of 3 Mercers living in the same area - ftb lived on Essex Road!!!:wink:

Minder
28-11-2012, 10:29 PM
What are the chances of 3 Mercers living in the same area - ftb lived on Essex Road!!!:wink:

Christ all these years and only now I discover that it was the wrong house.

Bostonhibby
28-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Just reading through the Yams meltdown thread and their plight, it got me thinking back to how different Hibs fans reacted to impending doom. So in honour of those who fought to save our club in its hour of need, I thought it would be fitting to dedicate a thread to them to show our gratitude.

My old boy (RIP) was heavily involved in the action at the time and told some cracking stories about what sort of schemes they got up to to try and thwart Mercer and his Banking backers. Unfortunately because all this took place prior to the interweb there is very little documentation or pics relating to the subject. I have a few clippings that the old man had kept in a box and will post them when I get the chance and would appreciate it if anyone else could maybe chip in with a few anecdotes or even a few newspaper clippings or personal photos.

Thanks

One of my favourite stories (which has probably been romanticised a bit) comes from having a few family members who worked for the old BOS - the establishment bank of the day who allegedly gave Wally the actual money / backing he needed for the bid.

We had a couple of taxi drivers and a van or two in the family so as well as promoting cancellation of a number of BOS Bank accounts and writing to them several times threatening to close accounts, there were some hilarious moments in the wee small hours with a trowel and morter swiftly rendering over the front of one of the fancy new cash machines around the town and engraving HOH into the still wet material - allegedly obviously. Not quite as direct action as baking a cake but too be fair UBIG haven't got a cash machine in Leith Walk!

Difference between us and them, eh! Glory Glory.

I gave up all my original shareholding to the trust to stop them falling into the wrong hands and put my autographed 7-0 programme up for auction to raise funds and was hugely humbled to find that whoever bought it at the auction actually sent it back to me - HIBS CLASS!

fatbloke
28-11-2012, 10:36 PM

Thanks

That's why many of us avoided breach of the peace etc charges:wink:

Technofob
28-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Christ all these years and only now I discover that it was the wrong house.

Really??? That's what the police said to my mate - hibbees have looked up the phone book seen the address and come round even though my mates initial was B.

fatbloke
28-11-2012, 10:39 PM
One of my favourite stories (which has probably been romanticised a bit) comes from having a few family members who worked for the old BOS - the establishment bank of the day who allegedly gave Wally the actual money / backing he needed for the bid.

We had a couple of taxi drivers and a van or two in the family so as well as promoting cancellation of a number of BOS Bank accounts and writing to them several times threatening to close accounts, there were some hilarious moments in the wee small hours with a trowel and mortar swiftly rendering over the front of one of the fancy new cash machines around the town and engraving HOH into the still wet material - allegedly obviously. Not quite as direct action as baking a cake but too be fair UBIG haven't got a cash machine in Leith Walk!

I gave up all my original shareholding to the trust to stop them falling into the wrong hands and put my autographed 7-0 programme up for auction to raise funds and was hugely humbled to find that whoever bought it at the auction actually sent it back to me - HIBS CLASS!

Aye and all the other wee mystery jobs perpetuated around Edinburgh and East Lothian.

frazeHFC
28-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Wasn't around when all of this took place, but dunno what i would do without Hibs, so :not worth to those involved. :flag:

Just read that Hibs and Hearts fans were involved in the Hands off Hibs campaign, is that true?

Hiber-nation
28-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Wasn't around when all of this took place, but dunno what i would do without Hibs, so :not worth to those involved. :flag:

Just read that Hibs and Hearts fans were involved in the Hands off Hibs campaign, is that true?

A few token gestures from the likes of Robbo and Cardownie but the vast majority of them wanted us wiped out.

FranckSuzy
28-11-2012, 10:48 PM

We had a couple of taxi drivers and a van or two in the family so as well as promoting cancellation of a number of BOS Bank accounts and writing to them several times threatening to close accounts, there were some hilarious moments in the wee small hours with a trowel and morter swiftly rendering over the front of one of the fancy new cash machines around the town and engraving HOH into the still wet material - allegedly obviously. Not quite as direct action as baking a cake but too be fair UBIG haven't got a cash machine in Leith Walk!

Outstanding :top marks As you say, that is Hibs Class :agree:

Bostonhibby
28-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Aye and all the other wee mystery jobs perpetuated around Edinburgh and East Lothian.

Happy / proud days if not always legal - just been looking in the archive for one I posted a long time ago that my late father witnessed first hand - subtle indirect protest at its absolute finest.

A nice looking car complete with matching posers pulled up outside Mike's Fishing Tackle shop in Porty High Street, A flunky and Wally himself came in looking for fishing rods and gear as they were going to a do that involved fishing, yer man was looking to hire some gear for the weekend!

The owner himself listened to what they had to say then had the pleasure of saying that they didn't do hires but even if they did none of the two were welcome because the owner and many customers were Hibbies. HIBS CLASS.

Bostonhibby
28-11-2012, 10:56 PM

:greengrin:agree: It was a bug*er that the better machines had that bit that sild doon after about 5 seconds though!

nonshinyfinish
28-11-2012, 10:57 PM

That is magnificent. :agree:

I'm welling up a bit here...

Bostonhibby
28-11-2012, 11:02 PM
That is magnificent. :agree:

I'm welling up a bit here...

You should pop over here mate :greengrin - won tonight, cracked open the bottle in the build up to the trip north tomorrow, sign in and all the good memories from this era come flooding back because of this great thread - gonnae be a long night!

A wee bit sentimental as well............GGTTH

Jonnyboy
28-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Those were dark days indeed and like many, I cried tears at the thought of Hibs dying but I'm so proud to recall that Mercer never stood a chance when it came down to it. Kenny MacLean deserves special mention as does STF but one ally we had and who slips under the radar was Sheila Rowland, who defied her money grabbing husband and refused to sell her shares to Mercer.

It was a long time ago now but we will never forget what they tried to do to us

ronaldo7
29-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Those were dark days indeed and like many, I cried tears at the thought of Hibs dying but I'm so proud to recall that Mercer never stood a chance when it came down to it. Kenny MacLean deserves special mention as does STF but one ally we had and who slips under the radar was Sheila Rowland, who defied her money grabbing husband and refused to sell her shares to Mercer.

And that why "the song" will be sung loud and clear for many a year.:devil:

Leithenhibby
29-11-2012, 12:10 AM
This is brilliant stuff :aok:

I recall the night it was over, the friday night at 6-30 when the news came on!.

Having finished work for the week and having my shave sh**e and shampoo I trotted along the hall to my bedroom just as the news started. The headline was that WM had withdrawn his bid and the "famous edinbra hi-bees" would live to fight another day :thumbsup: standing in the hall in me pants, I just burst out crying like a wee boy :-(

The joy that this had come to an end (after 3 months I think) was just such a relief, my wife just stood there pishing herself laughing at me for being such a girlie... Wimin, some just don't understand what was up for grabs........ :cb

sadtom
29-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Hi Gary, they were indeed your leaflets. How you doing ? They were worrying times but the effort we all put in was worth it when the FTB gave up on the takeover because it was never a merger, there would have been one team in Edinburgh called Heart of Midlothian,playing in maroon and at Tynecastle. I still hate that man to this day!!

Awright Brian. All good here, hope all's well wi you too. Still got my ST, bit more sedate these days, in the FF wi the kids.:greengrin

They were desperate days indeed but thankfully we can look back at those times and be really proud of the fight that everyone put up. We were able turn one of the darkest hours in the clubs history into one of the proudest.
Damn right! We should never forgive or forget. A couple of years back i watched the team that wouldnt die docu with my boys. When it got to the moment you saw the FTBs smug, false smile at the press conference to announce his intentions, i couldnt believe the rage that coursed through me after all these years. F*** him and all his b****** bloodline.
A one city team?!?!?! Careful what you wish for Wallet. :wink:

GGTTH

edinburghhibee
29-11-2012, 01:10 AM
I don't really remember much of this I'd have been around 4 years old. I remember being in the terracing on the day of the rally. I remember the usher hall show nothing much else. A massive, massive thank you to all the many hibs family members who worked their asses off to bring us back from the brink and give me the team I love today.

You should all be proud that you done your bit to save our club... Without having to revert to bake offs like the manky mob over the road.

.Sean.
29-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Fantastic thread. I was born Summer 1990 so the HOH was a wee bit before my time. I'm forever in debt of the marvellous people who saved this wonderful football club, which, after the health and well being of my family, is easily the most important thing in my life. I remember being in floods of tears at the anniversary gig at the Usher Hall.

To echo the sentiments of my good friend 'JIm' earlier in the thread, Hibernian FC's greatest victory.

fatbloke
29-11-2012, 01:51 AM
:greengrin:agree: It was a bug*er that the better machines had that bit that sild doon after about 5 seconds though!

aye but........... better no go there:greengrin

fatbloke
29-11-2012, 01:57 AM

she was the love of my life for a long time. Still think fondly of her when this is discussed. Never mind Mother Theresa this woman was a saint:greengrin.

drifter533814
29-11-2012, 02:31 AM
I was just glad my dad pulled me out of school to help, when my mum objected it was the only time I saw my dad swear at her and he told her how important it was. She did not understand, but I did, even when I was so young. That hibs were our team and always would be. Because as soon as I stood in the east terracing I knew I would follow my team to hell and back. HOH just made me realise this even more, because we stood up against a tyrant and won.

Lucius Apuleius
29-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Dark dark times indeed. I had to put my old man into Strathcarron Hospice the day the news broke as my missus just couldn't look after the two boys, my Dad, the house and a part time job on her own as I was due to go back offshore. Said to her as I was giving her a hug before I left that thsi was going to be the hardest trip of my life. Said she understood and she would look after my Dad for me. Not dad says I, Hibs you silly woman. (Obviously jokingly :greengrin). Now my Dad was not the biggest Hibs supporter in the world but he sure loved watching them in the 50s and he was gutted at what was happening. Sad to say he died the next week without seeing us saved.

Dalianwanda
29-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Thanks
Just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread..just filled me with pride and thankfulness that I'm part of the Hibs family..no good to read something like this rather than the shambles at other clubs!

Bostonhibby
29-11-2012, 10:28 AM

Just brilliant! I half remember a story about somebody tracking down that he had a boat / place in Southampton(?) and were gonnae pay a visit and do some sort of protest - wasnae you wis it? :greengrin

jdships
29-11-2012, 10:57 AM
This is brilliant stuff :aok:

I recall the night it was over, the friday night at 6-30 when the news came on!.

Having finished work for the week and having my shave sh**e and shampoo I trotted along the hall to my bedroom just as the news started. The headline was that WM had withdrawn his bid and the "famous edinbra hi-bees" would live to fight another day :thumbsup: standing in the hall in me pants, I just burst out crying like a wee boy :-(

The joy that this had come to an end (after 3 months I think) was just such a relief, my wife just stood there pishing herself laughing at me for being such a girlie... Wimin, some just don't understand what was up for grabs........ :cb

Yes a great night indeed .
That afternoon ' The Boss' came out into the main office and told us that ' Mr M has decided to withdraw from his bid to amalgamate the two Edinburgh football clubs ' that was all he said but as he left he ( a staunch rugby man) looked over his shoulder and called out ' well done all you Hibbees ' and walked out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Summed things up perfectly !
We heard on the Monday that Mercer was intending to sell up and leave the City.

Phil MaGlass
29-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Its amazing how it all floods back to you after all these years, I was working at Sunblest in Lochend when it all kicked off, me and a work colleague straight round tae ER tae get some answers, was stopped by a reporter and asked a few questions and if ma colleague wanted tae be interviewed on camera, so he did, with me in the background outside ER with a couple o hundred other Hibs fans in attendance. Absolutely shell shocked.
The HoH rally, the Usher Hall, flyers, posters, stickers, support from celebs, parts of the media and the amazing bonding and joining together of all Hibs fans showed just what OUR CLUB was made of, one of the hardest times of my life as a Hibee.
IF ANYTHING CAN GET US UP FOR THE GAME AGAINST THE YAMS, THEN THIS THREAD HAS IT.
GERINTAETHUM

brog
29-11-2012, 01:57 PM

His wife, Sheila I think was actually a very nice lady. From memory she refused to sell her shares & I think she later divorced the crook Rowland!

Peevemor
29-11-2012, 02:20 PM
His wife, Sheila I think was actually a very nice lady. From memory she refused to sell her shares & I think she later divorced the crook Rowland!

They were already divorced when she was first appointed to the board.

Bostonhibby
29-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Its amazing how it all floods back to you after all these years, I was working at Sunblest in Lochend when it all kicked off, me and a work colleague straight round tae ER tae get some answers, was stopped by a reporter and asked a few questions and if ma colleague wanted tae be interviewed on camera, so he did, with me in the background outside ER with a couple o hundred other Hibs fans in attendance. Absolutely shell shocked.
The HoH rally, the Usher Hall, flyers, posters, stickers, support from celebs, parts of the media and the amazing bonding and joining together of all Hibs fans showed just what OUR CLUB was made of, one of the hardest times of my life as a Hibee.
IF ANYTHING CAN GET US UP FOR THE GAME AGAINST THE YAMS, THEN THIS THREAD HAS IT.
GERINTAETHUM

:agree: An interesting one to somehow get the clubs notice and onward to the players - sure someone there reads these - come on Rod, we know you are watching:wink::greengrin

Teuchter Hibbie
29-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Having just turned 19, the "merger", and the HOH movement are a few years before my time. However, it is clear that fans of my generation, and of future generations, owe a massive debt of gratitude to the people who fought tooth and nail to ensure that we grew up with a team to love and support. Some of the stories being recounted on this thread are fantastic, and you get a real sense of the sheer emotion that came to the fore during such a dark time for the club. It really does fill you with pride.

:scarf::scarf:While I'm worth, my room on this Earth...:scarf::scarf:

brog
29-11-2012, 02:28 PM
This thread brings back some very happy but also anxious memories! Some more memories of our trip to Downing St.
1. We never actually received the petition in London! Our pic outside Downing St was actually taken the night before & the petition was a bundle of computer printouts from my office.
2. The petition itself was a one sheet certified document & was to come down on the plane in the morning. There were problems with the plane & the document actually never arrived until hours after our visit. Kenny M faxed me a copy, I pasted it on cardboard & used green highlighter to make it look a bit better!
3. Because I had to wait for the fax I was late to D St. I jumped out a taxi & immediately got Gavin Strang MP to pay for it. To this day I still have grudging respect for George Foulkes as he was also there along with Alex Salmond & Jim Sillars.
4. Because Thatcher's meeting with Nelson M had run late the police weren't going to let us in & told us to come back 2 hours later! At that point Gavin Strang stepped in with some rather forceful language & suggestions most of which involved Thatcher indulging in some unlikely positions. We were granted access & as per my prior post we led the ANC supporters in a chant of Nelson Mandela says Hands Off Hibs!
5. I think the proper petition went to the museum at Hampden but I took a copy & it was on wall in 4 in hand for many years.

It was tough to be away from the action in Edinburgh at that time but nice to be able to play a small part in our victory. One bonus was that Kevin & Paul founded London Hibs soon after & we've now celebrated over 22 years of our club.

hibee_nation
29-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Some will never sing the Mercer song and crucify those that do as not Hibs class. I will sing it on Sunday as loud as l can. Sorry to those in advance who take offence. :scarf:

LeighLoyal
29-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Can anyone recall the general Yam attitude to the Mercer buyout? I can recall chants of only one Mercer at ER at the infamous 0-3 derby. Wasn't a whole lot of love coming from them.

southsider
29-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Some of us went through the proper routes and others of us not so, but we all had the same objectives.....STOP WALDO ! There were plenty guys (and a few girls too) who would have done time to stop him but thankfully L & B took a pretty soft line at times but the result was VICTORY. I think i still have a EP where some of the guys and girls who stepped up to the plate are name-checked on the back.

1two
29-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Does anyone have a picture of JB kissing the pitch

Also, any other photos of the whole campaign should be put up here

The Harp
29-11-2012, 03:39 PM
A lot of memories will have come flooding back with this thread for a lot of us. Sadly, some who fought and won against Mercer are no longer with us - Kenny McLean in particular (God bless him). I'll always be proud of the way the fans fought to save the Hibs and the prominent people who added their support to the cause, no one more so than Sir Tom, Margo MacDonald, John Leslie and the Proclaimers plus a cast of thousands. And one man who I have had the utmost respect for ever since, John Robertson. For the wee guy to publicly go against his employer the way he did was remarkable - I hope he's greeting into his beer on Sunday afternoon though.

29-11-2012, 06:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPyyqI9WjSQ

Great watch :agree::flag:

Hibrandenburg
29-11-2012, 06:44 PM
This thread brings back some very happy but also anxious memories! Some more memories of our trip to Downing St.
1. We never actually received the petition in London! Our pic outside Downing St was actually taken the night before & the petition was a bundle of computer printouts from my office.
2. The petition itself was a one sheet certified document & was to come down on the plane in the morning. There were problems with the plane & the document actually never arrived until hours after our visit. Kenny M faxed me a copy, I pasted it on cardboard & used green highlighter to make it look a bit better!
3. Because I had to wait for the fax I was late to D St. I jumped out a taxi & immediately got Gavin Strang MP to pay for it. To this day I still have grudging respect for George Foulkes as he was also there along with Alex Salmond & Jim Sillars.
4. Because Thatcher's meeting with Nelson M had run late the police weren't going to let us in & told us to come back 2 hours later! At that point Gavin Strang stepped in with some rather forceful language & suggestions most of which involved Thatcher indulging in some unlikely positions. We were granted access & as per my prior post we led the ANC supporters in a chant of Nelson Mandela says Hands Off Hibs!
5. I think the proper petition went to the museum at Hampden but I took a copy & it was on wall in 4 in hand for many years.

It was tough to be away from the action in Edinburgh at that time but nice to be able to play a small part in our victory. One bonus was that Kevin & Paul founded London Hibs soon after & we've now celebrated over 22 years of our club.

:top marks Brilliant, first time I've heard that one :greengrin

29-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Wasn't around at this time but the stories on here and the stories my old man has told me about this terrible time and how the hibs fans mobilised to rally against this terrible proposal is truly inspiring and makes me incredibly proud to be a hibee. The dedication and emotion from the hibs fans that won us the fight against Mercer will never be forgotten and will go down as hibernians greatest ever victory.

:flag::flag::flag::flag:

brog
30-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Meant to say, a few months after H off H was successful I was on a plane to Gatwick & Mercer was in row 1, I was a few rows behind. After a few pops I thought I would join him for an intelligent chat about Scottish football. To be fair to him, after his initial reaction when I thought he was going to hit the panic button he was reasonably friendly & civil if a tad patronising. He freely admitted to me his bid was purely business, ie asset stripping. Mind you I think he'd have agreed to anything to get rid of me by then. My main memory though was he also admitted he had no real interest in football, he was a rugby guy & if he had a footy team it was sevco. Yams had beaten Falkirk the previous day & Mercer couldn't name 4 players in the team. Ring any current bells? Yams get the owners they deserve!
PS, no one should compare Sir TF with the above, he has never pretended to be a footy guy, he saved Hibs for the community.

stoneyburn hibs
30-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Easily one of the best threads i have ever read , i was 18 at the time and although i never really did much apart from worry and hope what happened will forever stay with me , very emotive.

greenginger
01-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Just brilliant! I half remember a story about somebody tracking down that he had a boat / place in Southampton(?) and were gonnae pay a visit and do some sort of protest - wasnae you wis it? :greengrin

No, not me. Never been to Southampton in my life. By the time I got back from the World Cup I think things were looking a lot more promising and I think Mercer pulled his bid a few days later.

I think the creep, Rowland lives in Guernsey now and this thread has got my blood boiling again when I think how that piece of vermin behaved.Not satisfied with getting £ 6 million for a lot of worthless leasehold pubs he tries wipe out our football club to make a few million more. I will be going to Jersey quite soon and feel like stopping in to visit the slimy toad and wash his face with some dog turd. :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
01-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Easily one of the best threads i have ever read , i was 18 at the time and although i never really did much apart from worry and hope what happened will forever stay with me , very emotive.

I was 18 too, it was very very emotional, but look at us now......WE ARE THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD, GOD I LOVE HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB...........:flag:

Father Ted
01-12-2012, 06:10 AM

Totally agree, it brings back all the mixed emotions of the time, I really do wish I hadn't got so blootered the night it was all called off that I can barely remember walking home from Tommy Youngers as it was then singing Hibs songs with my missus at the tops of our voices.

This thread deserves to be a permanent sticky imho, makes me very proud:flag::flag:

hibbiedon
01-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Some will never sing the Mercer song and crucify those that do as not Hibs class. I will sing it on Sunday as loud as l can. Sorry to those in advance who take offence. :scarf:

After what we went through I can never forgive the man, the words of the song may hurt a few but the deeds of the man hurt many. So tell all the hearts you know. GGTTH.

Lucius Apuleius
01-12-2012, 06:46 AM
After what we went through I can never forgive the man, the words of the song may hurt a few but the deeds of the man hurt many. So tell all the hearts you know. GGTTH.

DD will put it into emoticons a lot better than me but totally agree.

Wallace Mercer is deid and we're no.

Saorsa
01-12-2012, 08:20 AM

DD will put it into emoticons a lot better than me but totally agree.

Wallace Mercer is deid and we're no.I'm with you guys and I'll sing it along with you and many others, I'll never forgive and I'll never forget. I'll not put it on this thread though Mr. T as we dinnae want it turning sour.

Lucius Apuleius
01-12-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm with you guys and I'll sing it along with you and many others, I'll never forgive and I'll never forget. I'll not put it on this thread though Mr. T as we dinnae want it turning sour.

Probably right big man, letting my emotions take over.:greengrin