PDA

View Full Version : Luiz Adriano banned

Speedy
27-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Does anyone else think Luiz Adriano's ban is a farce?

http://uk.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/matchorganisation/disciplinary/news/newsid=1899812.html

He was banned for 1 champions league game for violation of the principles of conduct for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0d_j88LUag

The thing is, the ref gave the goal so how can they now ban him?

And the other thing is that they have already qualified so it's nothing more than a token gesture.

Hibercelona
27-11-2012, 06:31 PM
I never realized that there was a rule against doing that.

Did we not do that once against Dundee/Dundee Utd or something? :confused:

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Does anyone else think Luiz Adriano's ban is a farce?

http://uk.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/matchorganisation/disciplinary/news/newsid=1899812.html

He was banned for 1 champions league game for violation of the principles of conduct for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0d_j88LUag

The thing is, the ref gave the goal so how can they now ban him?

And the other thing is that they have already qualified so it's nothing more than a token gesture.

The ref gave the goal, because there was nothing else he could do. However, it is rank bad sportsmanship, and UEFA are right to ban him.

brianmc
27-11-2012, 06:34 PM
There isn't a rule..... Farce!

matty_f
27-11-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't see how you can ban him for it. He's under no obligation to stop playing, and where do you draw the line? Does every player now have to give the ball back if it's put out for treatment? That's just open to abuse.

Sir David Gray
27-11-2012, 06:36 PM
No doubting that it's bad sportsmanship but what rule did he break by doing that? :confused:

macca70
27-11-2012, 06:37 PM
I never realized that there was a rule against doing that.

Did we not do that once against Dundee/Dundee Utd or something? :confused:

Against Dundee Utd, they kicked the ball out, we kept the ball from the throw in. Think it was Matty Jack.

The games becoming a joke with regards to putting the ball out for injuries and also how the game is then restarted.

You never get a good old fashioned contested drop ball anymore.

Also, it should be up to a ref to stop a game if he feels a players injury warrants the game to be stopped, players kicking the ball out for the game to be stopped is just a joke.

CB_NO3
27-11-2012, 06:41 PM
What he done was poor and very bad sportsmanship but he shouldn't be banned for it. How can you get banned for scoring a legit goal. He could take this to the court of abritration and make a fool of Uefa.

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2012, 06:42 PM
No doubting that it's bad sportsmanship but what rule did he break by doing that? :confused:

Article 5, UEFA Disciplinary Regulations

"Member associations and clubs, as well as their players, officials and members,
shall conduct themselves according to the principles of loyalty, integrity and
sportsmanship."

lucky
27-11-2012, 06:43 PM
It's what Hearts would do. No class

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Yes, there is.

PeeJay
27-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Isn't this what they used to call "ungentlemanly conduct"? Surely he is bringing the game into disrepute by his action and showing a complete lack of respect for his opponents, in particular, and the game in general? - I would have banned him for more than 1 game ...

Bleeds green
27-11-2012, 06:55 PM

So if he did this in an important tie v us u would have no qualms??!!

Postman
27-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Isn't this what they used to call "ungentlemanly conduct"? Surely he is bringing the game into disrepute by his action and showing a complete lack of respect for his opponents, in particular, and the game in general? - I would have banned him for more than 1 game ...
Totally agree! Should have been banned for longer and how anyone can call that a legit goal is beyond me! Absolutely ridiculous and we would not be quite so understanding if it was against us!

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Totally agree! Should have been banned for longer and how anyone can call that a legit goal is beyond me! Absolutely ridiculous and we would not be quite so understanding if it was against us!

Within the laws of the game, the ref had no option but to award the goal. UEFA, however, have exercised their own right to discipline him. Both were correct decisions, IMO.

wookie70
27-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Something similar happened a wee while back and the team that scored the unsporting goal allowed the other team to score direct from the KO. It could have been settled on the park and the offenders team mates should have been so embarrassed that they put things right there and then. Good finish from the lad though!!

brianmc
27-11-2012, 07:40 PM

"Member associations and clubs, as well as their players, officials and members,
sportsmanship."

Is it bad sportsmanship to claim for a throw in when you know it's the positions? Yes.
Bad sportsmanship taking a dive? Yes.
Feigning injury? Yes.
And on and on.
Whilst we're on the subject of this game, was it bad sportsmanship after this goal where they tried to let the other team equalize-only for one of the defenders to tackle guy and stop him scoring? How come uefa haven't charged him?
The whole culture of putting the ball out/non contesting of drop balls does my nut in.

Postman
27-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Within the laws of the game, the ref had no option but to award the goal. UEFA, however, have exercised their own right to discipline him. Both were correct decisions, IMO.

Obviously the ref had to give it but can't believe it was allowed to happen! An uncontested drop ball with defenders and keeper not moving after they played on. Can't believe they didn't allow them to go up the other end to score to cancel it out after that

brianmc
27-11-2012, 07:42 PM
So if he did this in an important tie v us u would have no qualms??!!

I'd be hurling abuse at whichever idiot on our team was trying to give them the ball back. Mann up and play the game eh

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Players should do this more often, then the whole farce of stopping the game and giving the ball back will have to be looked at. We'll set the ball rolling on Sunday :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Obviously the ref had to give it but can't believe it was allowed to happen! An uncontested drop ball with defenders and keeper not moving after they played on. Can't believe they didn't allow them to go up the other end to score to cancel it out after that

They did initially but one of their defenders disagreed and put in a tackle to prevent the goal.

Sir David Gray
27-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Players should do this more often, then the whole farce of stopping the game and giving the ball back will have to be looked at. We'll set the ball rolling on Sunday :greengrin

Apart from witnessing their extinction, nothing (and I mean NOTHING) would make me happier than for Leigh Griffiths to score the winning goal on Sunday under those circumstances. :pray:

Hibee87
27-11-2012, 07:52 PM
[/B]
They did initially but one of their defenders disagreed and put in a tackle to prevent the goal.

It wasnt a defender who never let them walk up the pitch and score......it was LUIZ ADRIANO :thumbsup:unsportsmanship x2 from him haha

Postman
27-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Apart from witnessing their extinction, nothing (and I mean NOTHING) would make me happier than for Leigh Griffiths to score the winning goal on Sunday under those circumstances. :pray:

That would make you happier than scoring a few perfectly fair goals and winning?? Wouldn't be the same for me

Sir David Gray
27-11-2012, 07:55 PM
That would make you happier than scoring a few perfectly fair goals and winning?? Wouldn't be the same for me

I didn't say anything about us not scoring a few perfectly fair goals as well. :aok:

It's just the winning goal by Griffiths that I would love to be scored like that. :aok:

Boyle89
27-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Honking sportsmanship. I was more annoyed at the fact that the team then stopped the other team from scoring after the 'goal'. It may not be against the rules but taking advantage like that is just like diving imo. No point playing the game if you can't play fair.

Baader
27-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Good to see him banned. Football is getting enough bad press right now - it is (or was) a game where sportmanship had an important place...

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2012, 08:06 PM

Indeed. But then there might have been an issue of away goals.

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2012, 08:09 PM
How the hell has Luis Suarez never thought of doing that. :grr:

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2012, 08:10 PM

He will now :wink:

Sergio sledge
27-11-2012, 09:28 PM
So it's just me and Adriano that thought the other guy went down far too easily? Football players in general need to man up. Why did the ref stop the game for that anyway? It was a little dunt to the guy's chin, not a head knock, although no doubt the guy, with fake agony on his face will have gone down holding his head and wiping imaginary blood from his nose.

I think that until football players stop cheating by going down faking injuries and trying to get people sent off then incidents like this will always happen. Why should someone believe that an opposition player is truly hurt when they come up against fakers every week. Having never seen Adriano play, I can't say how innocent or guilty of faking, diving and cheating in general he is, so I'm aware his actions may be a bit hypocritical. Unless there is a serious injury (and you can usually tell when these happen if you are on the pitch) then play shouldn't stop. Referees shouldn't stop it and opposition shouldn't be expected to put the ball out of play.

Sir David Gray
27-11-2012, 09:44 PM

And become even more detestable than he is already!?

:wink:

Paisley Hibby
27-11-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm surpirse nobody has mentioned Kanu's goal for Arsenal against Sheffield United in the FA cup. Arsenal agreed to replay the tie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whO5GAFBp30

Pete
27-11-2012, 09:51 PM
I'd have banned him for longer as it's absolutely disgusting sportsmanship.

Both teams stopped as the Shaktar player was kicking the ball back to the red teams keeper/defence. Adriano was the ONLY player to play as if the ball was in play normally. I've not seen the resulting kick-off but for him to be the only player to stop the other team from walking the ball into the net is unbelievable and just rubbing it in. I'd have been tempted to either deck him or walk off the field if I was any part of the red team.

I remember something similar, but not actually as bad, happening in an FA cup tie between Sheffield United and Arsenal. Arsenal admitted they got it wrong and agreed for the game to be replayed.

The last word is with the referee on the pitch but players have to take some responsibility. That was the actions of a child.

Tinribs
27-11-2012, 09:56 PM
I agree he went down like a stabbed Hog, but the fair play incident was as a result of players trying to play like gentlemen...good blokes basically.

I wish the Goalie had just crossed his arms and shaken his head, as the boy ran up to him with the ball, would have made the point quite well i think.

MrRobot
27-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Absolute joke he can get banned for that IMO. What was the incident leading up to it? Was his team in possession ?

Eyrie
27-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Simplest solution is to just let the physio onto the pitch whilst play continues.

Not only would that avoid controversies and bad sportsmanship, but I fully expect to see fewer players acting like they've just suffered a career-ending injury from minimal contact.

The Green Goblin
27-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Ban the drop ball. Give a free kick either way in that situation. No more confusion.

Jones28
27-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I was always under the impression that in that situation the first touch from an opposition player means the ball is back in play?

So the goal stands?

Unless I'm an eedjit and it didn't take a touch off the defender?

Poor sportsmanship if true but he didn't break any rules.

Speedy
27-11-2012, 11:17 PM

sportsmanship."

Since they are through already Uefa have banned him from a meaningless game which he probably wouldn't play anyway.

The whole thing is a farce imo. They've been given a half arsed punishment to make some sort of statement about a ridiculous situation where a player didn't actually break any (playing) rules. It doesn't actually punish Shaktar and it doesn't benefit the team that suffered from the original incident.

I'd go as far as saying it's worse than Rangers' suspended transfer ban (they knew who they needed last time and they can sign out of contract players on 1st september joke).

Hibercelona
28-11-2012, 12:05 AM
I think the moral of the story is..... don't go down like a wee pussy and things like this wouldn't happen.

basehibby
28-11-2012, 08:59 AM
So it's just me and Adriano that thought the other guy went down far too easily? Football players in general need to man up. Why did the ref stop the game for that anyway? It was a little dunt to the guy's chin, not a head knock, although no doubt the guy, with fake agony on his face will have gone down holding his head and wiping imaginary blood from his nose.

I think that until football players stop cheating by going down faking injuries and trying to get people sent off then incidents like this will always happen. Why should someone believe that an opposition player is truly hurt when they come up against fakers every week. Having never seen Adriano play, I can't say how innocent or guilty of faking, diving and cheating in general he is, so I'm aware his actions may be a bit hypocritical. Unless there is a serious injury (and you can usually tell when these happen if you are on the pitch) then play shouldn't stop. Referees shouldn't stop it and opposition shouldn't be expected to put the ball out of play.

:agree: The bone of contention here is that Nordstaad playing for the red team seems to have gone down like a sack of tatties under little or no contact having clumsily (or deliberately?) bumped into a defender, feigning injury and thus CHEATING - presumably in order to waste time and thus gain his team an advantage.

His ruse has worked as the ref inexplicably and idiotically stopped play over what looked like a powder puff collision - this is NOT supposed to be the unwritten rule of sportsmanship - the ref should only stop play over things like head injuries - other than that it's entirely up to the players if they want to put the ball out to allow treatment to the opposition. Under these circumstances I don't blame Adriano at all for sticking the ball in the net.

GraniteCityHibs
28-11-2012, 10:27 AM
I'd be hurling abuse at whichever idiot on our team was trying to give them the ball back. Mann up and play the game eh

I hope you never coach a kids football team then mate. That's all I can say.