PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of Sunday

SMAXXA
27-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Aside from the obvious beating them and going through to the next round.

I just had a txt from a mate wanting to meet for a pint before the game on sunday. This is his first game back since the final. Just wondered if anyone else has had experiences of fans coming back for this game?

This shows how important this is in the grander scheme of things, we need to restore faith in a lot of people nearly lost to the game.

Thoughts?

HH81
27-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Without doubt its massive. I am bring 3 of my family up from Yorkshire, lets have it.

Ultrabee1-0
27-11-2012, 08:04 AM
We need these *******s on a plate! I hate them with a passion and since the final I have been two 7 hibs games and we have won them all apart from saturday! And it hurt!! But once we get into this mob am sure we will re-store a lot of faith in a lot of fans!

lord bunberry
27-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Its the defining point of our season if we win we will kick on and have a good season but if we lose i can see crowds dropping and a period of negativity. It really is a must win game for us

SMAXXA
27-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Its the defining point of our season if we win we will kick on and have a good season but if we lose i can see crowds dropping and a period of negativity. It really is a must win game for us

I tend to agree with this

Ultrabee1-0
27-11-2012, 08:12 AM

Exactly!!

Phil D. Rolls
27-11-2012, 08:36 AM

It's a must win for them too. If they go out of the cup the genuinely have nothing left to play for this season. The drop in crowds will probably kill them off forever.

Pretty Boy
27-11-2012, 08:41 AM

This.

Biggest game of the season so far by a distance.

Bob Box Fish
27-11-2012, 08:54 AM
This is the true test to see if we have made progress under PF. We will see if the bottle that keeps getting mentioned is there.

Over the last few years there's no doubt the hearts players have been 'more up for it' than ours after all the reports of new characters in the dressing room from JMP / PF this will also be tested.

On paper we should be favorites for this one. For the cup final hearts had a far better first 11 but I think we edge it now.

Nothing much between most teams outwith Celtic in the league this year but I think this could make or break our season. PF had given us two of the worst results in our history in the last 6 months but a win on Sunday would be massive and break the current psychological barrier vs them.

I predict 1-1 on Sunday then lose the replay. I hope I'm wrong though.

PeeJay
27-11-2012, 08:58 AM
No doubts about it: it's an important game. but I feel tomorrow night's game may be as important or more important for our overall season. A loss to the Saints and we will have it really tough on Sunday on the back of three defeats, while a win will put us back on track and in the right frame of mind.

happiehibbie
27-11-2012, 09:03 AM
My veiw is that after the game tommorrow night.

The staff the hibbies in the team should be getting built up like colied springs our management team should be pumping every bit of passion they have in there bodies our guys have to be right up for this game from the final whistle at Perth

No hidding places no day off is win win win at every cost no mistakes excuses they MUST WIN simple

COME ON HIBS THIS TIME LETS DO THEM

JimBHibees
27-11-2012, 09:04 AM
This is the true test to see if we have made progress under PF. We will see if the bottle that keeps getting mentioned is there.

Over the last few years there's no doubt the hearts players have been 'more up for it' than ours after all the reports of new characters in the dressing room from JMP / PF this will also be tested.

On paper we should be favorites for this one. For the cup final hearts had a far better first 11 but I think we edge it now.

Nothing much between most teams outwith Celtic in the league this year but I think this could make or break our season. PF had given us two of the worst results in our history in the last 6 months but a win on Sunday would be massive and break the current psychological barrier vs them.

We have made progress under PF there is no doubt about that however that isnt to say that Sunday isnt a massive game as it is. The boost the club would get by beating Hearts would be enormous and would hopefully allow the manager to wheel and deal a bit in January to improve the team. We do have a small squad and missing 3 regulars does stretch it to the limit however we are still capable of playing well and scoring goals.

Sunday will be nothing more than a game played with two pretty evenly matched teams. I do have a concern about the game tomorrow night and the potential for injuries and having Thomson as ref doesnt fill me with joy also.

hibsbollah
27-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Not any bigger than any other Cup tie.

I dont consider them our rivals in a meaningful sense anymore. We have left them behind in a puddle of debtridden obscurity, while we can now concentrate on the potential 400,000 fans we can be attracting locally :agree:

Frazerbob
27-11-2012, 09:30 AM
It's a must win for them too. If they go out of the cup the genuinely have nothing left to play for this season. The drop in crowds will probably kill them off forever.

Eh.....they are in the League Cup semi.....of course, I forgot, they don't care about the wee cup!

Frogga
27-11-2012, 09:46 AM

That would be the ideal scenario for them I think... I remember reading that when Clyde beat Celtic in the cup back in 05 or 06 that their manager was celebrating the victory in his office when the Clyde directors walked in looking glum. Basically, despite the win the directors really wanted a draw due to the financial benefits of a replay at Celtic Park. A sad fact of the modern game.

Not saying that Hearts are going to go out looking for a draw but the idea of a money-spinning double header must be on the directors' minds.

Bob Box Fish
27-11-2012, 09:57 AM
That would be the ideal scenario for them I think... I remember reading that when Clyde beat Celtic in the cup back in 05 or 06 that their manager was celebrating the victory in his office when the Clyde directors walked in looking glum. Basically, despite the win the directors really wanted a draw due to the financial benefits of a replay at Celtic Park. A sad fact of the modern game.

Not saying that Hearts are going to go out looking for a draw but the idea of a money-spinning double header must be on the directors' minds.

A replay would give them 16-17k fans plus it would also be on tv.

Hopefully it won't come to that as I'm a pessimist where Hibs vs. hearts games are concerned :)

#FromTheCapital
27-11-2012, 10:22 AM
This is a massively important game for both sides. To be honest I have no idea how this will go.

Our strength is our ability to score (albeit the least couple of games it hasn't been) and our weakness is our inability to defend, its vice versa for hearts so its anybody's guess what the outcome will be. Think this game will be decided by a small margin if its not a draw, here's hoping we get the win

yeezus.
27-11-2012, 10:30 AM
This is the first derby in a long time I am going to watch with high hopes. I think we'll win - but they will be well up for it as the huns were when they beat Celtic 3-2.

wearethehibs
27-11-2012, 10:48 AM
I think we will get humped again. They seem to become stronger when they are dealing with off feild issues

Hibs7
27-11-2012, 10:49 AM

Totally agree, this could have a massive impact on half season ticket sales.

VickMackie
27-11-2012, 10:57 AM
A replay would give them 16-17k fans plus it would also be on tv.

Hopefully it won't come to that as I'm a pessimist where Hibs vs. hearts games are concerned :)

A replay would be good for our chances of keeping Griffiths aswell. I'd still want us to win at ER though.

Billy Whizz
27-11-2012, 11:26 AM
They will be really up for it. Their players are unlikely to get paid unless they win, as it will give them another pay day.
We need to put them away early doors, and then we can get the songs out!

KeithTheHibby
27-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Will be a tough game, expect the grunts to play similiar to the sheep did by sitting in and trying to hit us on the break through Driver and the lith scrote.
They are an ugly team to watch so expect them to play ugly and reckon a draw would suit them down to the ground.

KeithTheHibby
27-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Will be a tough game, expect the grunts to play similiar to the sheep did by sitting in and trying to hit us on the break through Driver and the lith scrote.
They are an ugly team to watch so expect them to play ugly and reckon a draw would suit them down to the ground.

Keep the ball on the deck and run at Webster and Zal as they are gash on the ground.

Diclonius
27-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Two of the worst results in our history? What was the other one?

lyonhibs
27-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Two of the worst results in our history? What was the other one?

I was wondering that as well? Don't think a 3-0 defeat at Tannadice merits quite such a hysterical rating.

Massive game on Sunday though. Expect them to want to keep any football played to an absolute minimum. We have to be up for a battle on the park or they'll win it. Again.

JimBHibees
27-11-2012, 12:24 PM
I was wondering that as well? Don't think a 3-0 defeat at Tannadice merits quite such a hysterical rating.

Massive game on Sunday though. Expect them to want to keep any football played to an absolute minimum. We have to be up for a battle on the park or they'll win it. Again.

I am not sure I would include losing at QOS with a weakened team as one either.

Ross4356
27-11-2012, 12:25 PM

I know the final but the other one is?

Franck Stanton
27-11-2012, 12:33 PM

Good, they are genuinly ****ed then because we are going to give them a lesson in how football should be played.

Thecat23
27-11-2012, 12:33 PM
The past few years Hearts had a much better team than ours. That may be hard to swallow but it's true. But now we have the players who can fight out tough results. Our league position shows this. I wish Deegan was playing to be honest because that's the players we need in a derby. But even with him out I think our long over due win will come this Sunday. When it does it will be the start of a shift in power because after Jan the Hearts team will be stripped to the bare bone and they will be on the end of some heavy defeats in the coming years. They need to start all over again and believe me Hibs will take a few of them soon enough.

Franck Stanton
27-11-2012, 12:38 PM
The past few years Hearts had a much better team than ours. That may be hard to swallow but it's true. But now we have the players who can fight out tough results. Our league position shows this. I wish Deegan was playing to be honest because that's the players we need in a derby. But even with him out I think our long over due win will come this Sunday. When it does it will be the start of a shift in power because after Jan the Hearts team will be stripped to the bare bone and they will be on the end of some heavy defeats in the coming years. They need to start all over again and believe me Hibs will take a few of them soon enough.

Cat, I really do agree with all you say above, other than the bit in bold [mute point], because I felt that the power shifted to us in last Derby. Now I know it was a 1-1 draw but there was something about that game that left me with a really good feeling, sort of like , hard to put into words, but, as if we had now lost our fear of them, that we were just as good, if not better than them and , finally the Hibs players realised this.

Bob Box Fish
27-11-2012, 01:18 PM
I know the final but the other one is?

League Cup - Fair doos maybe not as bad as what I said but still very poor regardless of what team we had out especially with the cups being a major source of income to the club given the reduced league attendances. I take that back :)

lord bunberry
27-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Cat, I really do agree with all you say above, other than the bit in bold [mute point], because I felt that the power shifted to us in last Derby. Now I know it was a 1-1 draw but there was something about that game that left me with a really good feeling, sort of like , hard to put into words, but, as if we had now lost our fear of them, that we were just as good, if not better than them and , finally the Hibs players realised this.

What we also have to remember is that they have the tactical genius that is john "am awrite ma wife works" mcglynn in the dugout and that must give us a bit of an advantage in the fact that fenlon has english as his first language

Franck Stanton
27-11-2012, 01:44 PM
What we also have to remember is that they have the tactical genius that is john "am awrite ma wife works" mcglynn in the dugout and that must give us a bit of an advantage in the fact that fenlon has english as his first language

So very true

Pretty Boy
27-11-2012, 01:47 PM
What does concern me about Sunday is poor as Hearts are they don't give away many cheap goals.

I know they don't score many either and have almost zero in the way of creativity, from what I've seen of them anyway, but if we gift them a goal like last time we are up against it.

We really need to keep it tight at the back, we are still conceding too many imo, and take our chances when they come.

We should be pretty confident about this one but we have to perform, if we are below par then Hearts will punish us. Massive game and a big performance needed, I fully expect the players to give one.

Leishy1995
27-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Top scorer for hearts
Zal with 4
Danny Grainger has 3.
keep Zal quiet it's won....

iwasthere1972
27-11-2012, 02:07 PM
We need to show them who is boss from the kick off and make sure that we win all 50/50 balls. Good hard tackling but no silly rash ones. If we do this then we will be half way to winning.

It will be the first time that a derby match will have taken place on 2 December so that's another good reason to win. :nerd:

JimBHibees
27-11-2012, 02:07 PM
What does concern me about Sunday is poor as Hearts are they don't give away many cheap goals.

I know they don't score many either and have almost zero in the way of creativity, from what I've seen of them anyway, but if we gift them a goal like last time we are up against it.

We really need to keep it tight at the back, we are still conceding too many imo, and take our chances when they come.

We should be pretty confident about this one but we have to perform, if we are below par then Hearts will punish us. Massive game and a big performance needed, I fully expect the players to give one.

There is no doubt they have decent and strong defenders Webster, Zaliukas and McGowan (think their goalie is poor) and will be difficult to break down. Grainger is a loss as it looks like they might move Barr to RB and McGowan to LB which might affect them as think Barr is poor especially in full back position and it may weaken their IMO already pretty average midfield. I know their youngsters are rated such as Holt and Walker however personally would be happy if they both played on Sunday. More likely Driver and Novikovas would come in.

We need to front up physically that is for sure an hopefully a fit McPake is back allowing McGivern to full back. In saying that both teams have massive matches tomorrow and could easily have additional injury worries or suspensions come Sunday.

Leishy1995
27-11-2012, 05:07 PM
They've began referring to theirself as "the Famous" that's motivation enough.

clerriehibs
27-11-2012, 05:27 PM

The famous what???

matty_f
27-11-2012, 05:32 PM
I would dearly love for the last derby memory ever for the Yams to be us pumping them at Easter Road in the cup.

Make it happen, Hibs.

lord bunberry
27-11-2012, 06:00 PM
The famous what???

Beasts

Gatecrasher
27-11-2012, 06:01 PM
They have not! have they? thats what the Rangers fans call themselves. What right bunch of Diet hun wannabe's :lolyam:

Leishy1995
27-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Simply "the Famous" nothing else. Just the famous. Seen it on moneyback and a facebook page.

Loopz
27-11-2012, 09:04 PM
5 of us going to see Orbital at the HMV picture house on Sunday night. 4 will be at the game (Other friend is a Pars fan). All arranged before the cup draw. If Crabbies made Sundays. :agree:

Minder
27-11-2012, 09:50 PM
We need to hurt them. Im praying to the great god Sauzee that this time we give them a beating.

Hopefully, we can all look back on this game as the "Extermination derby", I can see the DVD's being a big seller - the big teams last ever game in the Scottish Cup.

Then in January, we have a 40th party to celebrate.

:flag::flag::flag:

Pete
27-11-2012, 10:01 PM

They've called themselves that for years.

Tinribs
27-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Aside from the obvious beating them and going through to the next round.

I just had a txt from a mate wanting to meet for a pint before the game on sunday. This is his first game back since the final. Just wondered if anyone else has had experiences of fans coming back for this game?

This shows how important this is in the grander scheme of things, we need to restore faith in a lot of people nearly lost to the game.

Thoughts?

Slightly OT, but my young nephew has been to the last 3 games, and has seen a couple of defeats in his short time at ER. Lets hope he gets a good one against the Auld Enemy.

fatbloke
27-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I am 56 on Monday, been watching HFC now for 51 years. To soften the blow of now being nearer 60 than 50 and provide me with my first and possibly best birthday present please please please Hibs do these muppets:greengrin

cad
28-11-2012, 06:08 AM
I am 56 on Monday, been watching HFC now for 51 years. To soften the blow of now being nearer 60 than 50 and provide me with my first and possibly best birthday present please please please Hibs do these muppets:greengrin

I hope you get your wish mate but 45 years of watching Hibs like yourself standing up and being counted or doing it when it matters isnt Hibs strong point

basehibby
28-11-2012, 08:20 AM
This game is massive for us and no doubt about it. A victory will give fans and players alike a massive phsychological boost. A good number of fans who have been staying away will come back into the fold if they taste revenge against the Jambos this Sunday and Fenlon will reap the rewards in a larger budget to play with in january - whereas defeat would be yet another kick in the guts for all of us resulting in lesser crowds, lesser budget and less chance of a successful season.

Lets face it - this is NOT just another game!

With a full 1st eleven I would be fairly confident of victory as we have made great strides this season whereas the Yams have gone backwards at pace. With Deegan and McPake out though it's much more in the balance although I still feel we have the advantage in that we have a genuine cutting edge which the Yams are lacking.

Like every other Hibby I am desperate for a win and anything less will be a disappointment.

chrisski33
28-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Tonight, sunday and the games v motherwell and inverness are all important, sunday more important.

Thecat23
28-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Actually that's a good point mate. Last derby we should have beat them and it was them who looked out of sorts at times. Here's hoping it continues.

Craig_in_Prague
28-11-2012, 11:01 AM
folks that only go coz there's a strong chance we'll win games or get good results, would be better of staying at home and watching Man UTD or Barca on the TV each week.

appreciate Sunday is important, but turning your back on the club and on a team that is generally working hard and cares, will not help the team get better by not supporting them anymore.

Personally, if I could afford Hibs games (and obviously logistically could attend) I would do. It's your team, whilst it sucks being mince and it hurts losing games (especially against yams), I just don't understand why people stop going all together... Only has an adverse affect.

I know in the real world it works very differently, but we suffered what we did in May this year, there is literally nothing worse we will need to go through.
Get behind the team and get ER busy and noisy, sect43 have done fantastic... help the club build some momentum... this is Hibs under Paddy Fenlon and a management team and set of players that care... ..standing by them in the harder times will make it worth it when we're enjoying good times.

JimBHibees
28-11-2012, 11:03 AM
folks that only go coz there's a strong chance we'll win games or get good results, would be better of staying at home and watching Man UTD or Barca on the TV each week.

appreciate Sunday is important, but turning your back on the club and on a team that is generally working hard and cares, will not help the team get better by not supporting them anymore.

Personally, if I could afford Hibs games i would do. It's your team, whilst it sucks being mince and it hurts losing games (especially against yams), I just don't understand why people stop going all together... Only has an adverse affect.

I know in the real world it works very differently, but we suffered what we did in May this year, there is literally nothing worse we will need to go through.
Get behind the team and get ER busy and noisy, scet43 have done fantastic... help the club build some momentum... standing by them in the harder times will make it worth it when we're enjoying good times.

Great post agree with every word. Massive game on Sunday if you call yourself a Hibee and can get along make the effort to do so. Should be a cracking game IMO.

Craig_in_Prague
28-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Great post agree with every word. Massive game on Sunday if you call yourself a Hibee and can get along make the effort to do so. Should be a cracking game IMO.

i suppose I was also getting at, I don't want to see fans turning their back on the team if we don't win....... There is no devine right to win in football and for me as long as my team work hard, bust a gut and show they care... Then they deserve support.
I know it would be painful to lose again and no doubt impact the season negatively, but it will only affect it or be as bad as the fans make it. Getting back behind the team in the league games and keeping up a good record at ER can still mean a good season in the league.
Don't really like the sound of this game being the be all and end all, besides - It's still not a level playing field - they still have players they can't afford.

ps. I think we will win anyway, nowt to worry about :-)

paul_hfc3
28-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Yup in same boat as your mate from the original post. This is me and my Dad's first game back from the SC Final, however my brother isn't so optimistic. The crowd at Dundee looked very decent as well.

Mathias Jack
28-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Eh.....they are in the League Cup semi.....of course, I forgot, they don't care about the wee cup!

Song for Sunday....wee team, wee cup...big team, bankrupt!

:na na:

Captain Trips
28-11-2012, 11:41 AM
The pressure is on us. Hearts bought a few defeats with that win in May. I think the home pressure may get to us and a desperation to try and make up for May might be if we lose our undoing. I would fancy our chances more if we were away.

JimBHibees
28-11-2012, 12:01 PM
i suppose I was also getting at, I don't want to see fans turning their back on the team if we don't win....... There is no devine right to win in football and for me as long as my team work hard, bust a gut and show they care... Then they deserve support.
I know it would be painful to lose again and no doubt impact the season negatively, but it will only affect it or be as bad as the fans make it. Getting back behind the team in the league games and keeping up a good record at ER can still mean a good season in the league.
Don't really like the sound of this game being the be all and end all, besides - It's still not a level playing field - they still have players they can't afford.

ps. I think we will win anyway, nowt to worry about :-)

Completely agree as you say they are still playing players they patently cant afford so do have a sporting advantage. Personally don't think any game is a must win however some games are more important than others and this Sunday's is up there that is for sure. Though as you say PF is slowly building something good and it will still take time to get rid of some of the deadwood and bring in more of the quality and type of players we need. Our squad is pretty threadbare and we really cant do with any more significant injuries at present.

The season up to now has been better than we could have hoped for however a decent cup run would be a bonus as well as bringing in much needed income.

Diclonius
02-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Top scorer for hearts
Zal with 4
Danny Grainger has 3.
keep Zal quiet it's won....

Oh, ****! :grr:

Wait.. :greengrin