PDA

View Full Version : James McPake. Did we sign a player with a serious injury?

RIP
26-11-2012, 07:15 PM
There's no doubt Coventry rated James to have signed him in the first place. But he was injured a lot - is that correct?

Since he came to us he has been seen stretching his spine in most games. He has missed our last 3 matches with no date yet for a return.

Anyone else worried his long term prognosis is serious?

frazeHFC
26-11-2012, 07:20 PM
With his injury record it was also going to be a gamble how long he would stay fit for. Still delighted we signed him though and we need him back asap!

Squealing pig
26-11-2012, 07:23 PM
He definitely has a serious back problem, for footballers standards anyway he will be in and out the team, but he will be worth it i think just need stronger backup.

Wotherspiniesta
26-11-2012, 07:25 PM
If he was perfect, he wouldn't be playing for Hibs. His injuries have probably kept him back from playing at a higher level, but when he's on the park he's an inspiration to those around him and a real leader of men. If that means him missing a few games during the season, then so be it. If he's walking, he'll be back for the Hearts game.

Craig_in_Prague
26-11-2012, 07:30 PM
At HT on Sat, he said this injury is a niggling one and not the same as the longer term injuries he has suffered.. He is very close to returning, I suspect he will make Sunday, if not Wed too.

Pretty Boy
26-11-2012, 07:32 PM
His back injury is well documented hence why some of us urged a bit caution when other were calling on the board to 'break the bank' for him.

No doubt he's a good player but there will more than likely be spells like this where he misses 2 or 3 games. His worth off the park may be every bit as important as on it though imo. His little chats with Leighs seem to have worked wonders as an example.

Devilstorment
26-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Well hopefully we have him on a basic wage with a higher appearance fee or something so that we are not paying a pretty penny whilst he is on the sick.

Still glad we signed him, but as has been mentioned, we need a strong back up (ideally a young guy, who can dip in and out of the first team and gain experience)

Squealing pig
26-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Well hopefully we have him on a basic wage with a higher appearance fee or something so that we are not paying a pretty penny whilst he is on the sick.

Still glad we signed him, but as has been mentioned, we need a strong back up (ideally a young guy, who can dip in and out of the first team and gain experience)

Think I'd rather see a proven CH as backup we have tried youngsters as back up nothing but bad reports they get. Stephens, Hanlon etc

Moon unit
26-11-2012, 08:13 PM
There's no doubt Coventry rated James to have signed him in the first place. But he was injured a lot - is that correct?

Since he came to us he has been seen stretching his spine in most games. He has missed our last 3 matches with no date yet for a return.

Anyone else worried his long term prognosis is serious?
Time to bring back Colin Murdoch???...

ancient hibee
26-11-2012, 09:07 PM
I believe Bonnyrigg have a very good centre half.

Iain G
27-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Think I'd rather see a proven CH as backup we have tried youngsters as back up nothing but bad reports they get. Stephens, Hanlon etc

You can hardly class Paul Hanlon as "back up" :greengrin

The Sea-gull
27-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Tin hat firmly on here but is McPake perhaps a wee bit over-rated by us as a football player?

He is a great battler, a great trier and a fantastic leader but he is far from the best centre half in the league in a footballing sense. He hasn't exactly been blameless for some of the goals we have lost since he came.

Don't get me wrong, I feel far better with him in the team than not and in many ways his attitude and leadership qualities are something we have been crying out for but it is a position where we are a bit weak and are not that well covered in. This perhaps leads us to thinking he is a slightly better player than he actually is.

Think the guy is great myself but not the infallible hero he is rated as by some. Perhaps he would benefit from having a bit more quality and experience alongside him and then allow him to do the whole hearted stuff.

Lucius Apuleius
27-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Tin hat firmly on here but is McPake perhaps a wee bit over-rated by us as a football player?

He is a great battler, a great trier and a fantastic leader but he is far from the best centre half in the league in a footballing sense. He hasn't exactly been blameless for some of the goals we have lost since he came.

Don't get me wrong, I feel far better with him in the team than not and in many ways his attitude and leadership qualities are something we have been crying out for but it is a position where we are a bit weak and are not that well covered in. This perhaps leads us to thinking he is a slightly better player than he actually is.

Think the guy is great myself but not the infallible hero he is rated as by some. Perhaps he would benefit from having a bit more quality and experience alongside him and then allow him to do the whole hearted stuff.

No tin hat needed. I think you have answered your own question however I don't see anybody saying he is infallible.

CB_NO3
27-11-2012, 10:25 AM
If McPake was a real class act, he would not be playing for Hibs, simple as that. Its his attitude and mentalitly that makes him a top player for us. I also feel when McPake plays we get two good centre halves as Hanlon looks as if he thrives of McPakes presence. He is good at reading the play at times but can be a bit naive with certain clearences. Still, he is our leader and I love having him in the team.

blackpoolhibs
27-11-2012, 10:35 AM
mcpake is more than just a good player. he is not perfect but he brings so much more than just a 7 out of 10 every week.

The Sea-gull
27-11-2012, 10:41 AM
If McPake was a real class act, he would not be playing for Hibs, simple as that. Its his attitude and mentalitly that makes him a top player for us. I also feel when McPake plays we get two good centre halves as Hanlon looks as if he thrives of McPakes presence. He is good at reading the play at times but can be a bit naive with certain clearences. Still, he is our leader and I love having him in the team.

Good point. Hanlon is definitely a different player when JMcP plays. He has definitely been Hanlon's best partner since he broke into the team.

Trouble is, if McPake is going to be injured for a few weeks here and there now and again, we need someone who can command the back 4 without him beside them. Hanlon may yet mature into that sort of player but he is a way off it yet. Thought McGivern and Hanlon did well v Dundee United but maybe rode their luck at times in the second half of that game. V Dundee and Aberdeen they have been a bit shakey.

While the McPake - Hanlon partnerhsip has been ok, don't think is is rock solid enough that we should just stick with it without trying other combos. Would quite like to see how McPake and McGivern play together as a partnership some time. Hanlon could be switched to LB though this flys in the face of what I said on another thread about Hanlon being shunted from CB to LB slowing his development.

LancashireHibby
27-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Would quite like to see how McPake and McGivern play together as a partnership some time. Hanlon could be switched to LB though this flys in the face of what I said on another thread about Hanlon being shunted from CB to LB slowing his development.
For someone who has generally spent most of his career as a left back, McGivern is tremendously strong in the air and, like you, I think there's definite potential in a McPake-McGivern CB partnership.

matty_f
27-11-2012, 11:12 AM
mcpake is more than just a good player. he is not perfect but he brings so much more than just a 7 out of 10 every week.

:top marks

McPake is a captain and definitely sets the tone for the rest of the squad. We've not had someone like that for a long, long time. What he brings to the club is far more than what we get over 90 minutes on a matchday.

Stevie Reid
27-11-2012, 11:14 AM
I think we've signed someone who we know is likely to miss perhaps a 5th of a season due to injury, but we did it anyway as his signing was so important - the bond between him and the support is the best we've had with a captain since Sauzee, and whilst he certainly isn't infallible, he is a natural leader who knows the importance of playing for Hibs, and inspires those around him.

There have been examples of players with worse fitness situations still flourishing at a level higher than JM - Ledley King and Paul McGrath were much more physically fragile than McPake is, but Spurs and Villa kept them for so long as their influence was so important when they played.

We are much better off for his presence at the club.

Hibernian Verse
27-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't think he'll leave Hibs, be with us until the end. He's found his home.

EdinMike
27-11-2012, 11:35 AM

That would be awesome, as has been said before he has this connection with the Fans that hasn't been there for a while. As for the back problems, I can feel for him there. Had a lot of problems with niggling back pain in the last few years and there's not a lot you can do about it.

Hope he's rested tomorrow and is fully ready for Sunday ! :hibees

jacomo
27-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I think we've signed someone who we know is likely to miss perhaps a 5th of a season due to injury, but we did it anyway as his signing was so important - the bond between him and the support is the best we've had with a captain since Sauzee, and whilst he certainly isn't infallible, he is a natural leader who knows the importance of playing for Hibs, and inspires those around him.

There have been examples of players with worse fitness situations still flourishing at a level higher than JM - Ledley King and Paul McGrath were much more physically fragile than McPake is, but Spurs and Villa kept them for so long as their influence was so important when they played.

We are much better off for his presence at the club.

:agree:

Alex Ferguson loved Roy Keane for being his general on the field. Having a captain who will demand maximum effort from his team mates is invaluable - especially for Hibs when rebuilding after a few poor years.

Pretty Boy
27-11-2012, 11:38 AM

I'd hope so.

Borderhibbie76
27-11-2012, 12:15 PM
We've also been unlucky in that both McPake and Clancy have been out at the same time as Clancy could also have slotted in at CH!!

YehButNoBut
27-11-2012, 12:31 PM
James reminds me a lot of Vincent Kompany at Man City, great leader, commited player and all round good guy who will get the respect of all his team mates, a great player to have at the club.

Mind you Kompany will be earning a few bob more than Jamesy :wink:

Sammy7nil
27-11-2012, 12:43 PM

:agree::agree::agree:

Ship Hibs
27-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Can anyone that knows James make sure he sees this, might be worth him trying it http://justherejustnow.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/why-i-will-do-bikram-yoga-until-the-day-i-die/ There's a few places in Edinburgh that do it. Tried to tweet him but no idea if its his real account or if he checks it much

JIm
27-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Can anyone that knows James make sure he sees this, might be worth him trying it http://justherejustnow.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/why-i-will-do-bikram-yoga-until-the-day-i-die/ There's a few places in Edinburgh that do it. Tried to tweet him but no idea if its his real account or if he checks it much

He does read his twitter alot and is constantly tweeting so i'm sure whatever the link is he will have a look. Regards his injury i'm sure ive heard that he gets injections for his back every few months and that keeps him out for at least a week/two weeks. This injury appears to be slightly different, hopefully see him fit and back to play against the JT's come saturday which i'm sure he will be.

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2012, 09:26 PM

:top marks