PDA

View Full Version : Joey Barton... Cringeworthy stuff (NHC)

Renfrew_Hibby
26-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Barton gets a dose of the Mclarens.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/26112012/58/joey-barton-allo-allo-moment.html

Future17
26-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Barton gets a dose of the Mclarens.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/26112012/58/joey-barton-allo-allo-moment.html

That is brilliant. It's not just the attempt at an accent, it's the body language as well. His attempt at a Gallic shrug is genius.

DaveF
26-11-2012, 05:13 PM
:greengrin that's brilliant. From scouse to 'allo 'allo :faf:

Hainan Hibs
26-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Nearly peed myself when he over does it when saying "boring".

If he put as much energy into actually learning French he might have been getting somewhere.

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Nearly peed myself when he over does it when saying "boring".

If he put as much energy into actually learning French he might have been getting somewhere.

Thats not french??????????:greengrin

sbell1875
26-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Joey Barton never fails to amaze me! This has got to be a piss take surely?!

JoeTortolanoFanClub
26-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I think you are being a bit unfair. If you are immersed in another language and culture you cannot help but pick up the rhythm of how those people speak.

Squealing pig
26-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Funny stuff what a loser. Lol. Sorry but can any1 tell me what NHC means been wondering for ages.

iwasthere1972
26-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I was waiting on him mentioning the Madonna with the big boobies.

That's well funny.

Pete
I think you are being a bit unfair. If you are immersed in another language and culture you cannot help but pick up the rhythm of how those people speak.

Have to agree. It's unfair to expect someone to simply go back and forward at the drop of a hat. Steve McLaren is a man of the world and he found it hard.

iwasthere1972
Funny stuff what a loser. Lol. Sorry but can any1 tell me what NHC means been wondering for ages.

Not Hibs content.

Squealing pig
26-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Not Hibs content.

Cheers

Twa Cairpets
26-11-2012, 06:40 PM

NHC = No Hibs Content

iwasthere1972
26-11-2012, 06:43 PM

Get real. Hes only been there for a few months and Gary O'Connor didn't come back to Scotland sounding like Olga Korbet.

HibeeN
26-11-2012, 06:45 PM

I agree to an extent, but Barton isn't just changing his rhythm - he's actually adopting an accent for whatever reason. I lived in Germany for a year and found myself sometimes speaking in a different rhythm/emphasising different words than I normally would when I spoke English, but I was never once compelled to adopt an accent.

HibeeN
26-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Get real. Hes only been there for a few months and Gary O'Connor didn't come back to Scotland sounding like Olga Korbet.

I don't know if I'm making this up but I seem to remember a video interview with him in the locker room at Lokomotiv and he was speaking in a really dodgy accent! Might just be imagining things though :greengrin

VickMackie
26-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Maybe the accent makes it easier for others to understand him.

Jonnyboy
26-11-2012, 06:50 PM

That's very true. I recall my last interview with Zouma before he left and he was telling me "ah'm gaun doon tae England tae play fir Burra so ah hope it aw goes well" :wink:

Saorsa
26-11-2012, 06:56 PM
:greengrin that's brilliant. From scouse to 'allo 'allo :faf:Almost as bas as this guy's French :greengrin

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp166/D4RKL1NG/th_OfficerCrabtree250.jpg

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Haha that was about the only funny thing I've seen related to that twat.

On the accent thing it's funny how some folk's accent does change to suit the area they are in no matter where they come from. My sister has lived in Manchester for 20 odd years yet still sounds as scouse as can be, I on the otherhand have been in Edinburgh for twenty years and now sound nothing like I used to. I have read some research that says people whos accent's change to suit their surroundings tend be less confident people than those who don't. :dunno:

Jonnyboy
26-11-2012, 07:09 PM

On the accent thing it's funny how some folk's accent does change to suit the area they are in no matter where they come from. My sister has lived in Manchester for 20 odd years yet still sounds as scouse as can be, I on the otherhand have been in Edinburgh for twenty years and now sound nothing like I used to. I have read some research that says people whos accent's change to suit their surroundings tend be less confident people than those who don't. :dunno:

What's your personal view on that SH?

Just thinking of folk that have not changed accents - Shralex and Kenny D spring to mind whereas Ray Houghton just sounds bizarre :greengrin

iwasthere1972
26-11-2012, 07:11 PM

I lived in Guernsey and now I'm back in Edinburgh folk don't believe that I'm Scottish. Mind you I was in Guernsey for 25 years unlike Barton who has only been in France a little bit longer than a day tripper. I like how he just came out and said French football is boring. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
26-11-2012, 07:15 PM
:faf: That's superb!

What a wally!

iwasthere1972
26-11-2012, 07:18 PM
How you say tosser in zee English?

fat freddy
26-11-2012, 07:22 PM
studies have shown that kids under 16 that move to a new area very quickly pick up a new accent and this is believed to be related to a childs need to fit in to whatever surroundings they find themselves in...a coping/survival mechanism within the human.

another study found that scouse thugs that go to the south of france speak with a daft accent because they're as thick as a horses turd

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2012, 07:23 PM
What's your personal view on that SH?

Just thinking of folk that have not changed accents - Shralex and Kenny D spring to mind whereas Ray Houghton just sounds bizarre :greengrin

Never really considered myself to be lacking confidence but I suppose if I compared myself to my Sister twenty years ago I was a shrinking violet where as she was a loud in your face scouser :greengrin

iwasthere1972
26-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Just got me thinking how funny it would be if Eric Cantona and David Ginola had picked up the local accents while playing here.

CropleyWasGod
26-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Just got me thinking how funny it would be if Eric Cantona and David Ginola had picked up the local accents while playing here.

Jan Molby did.

iwasthere1972
26-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Jan Molby did.

He did. That was well funny.

Any others? Did Henrik Larsson pick up a glaswegian accent?

hibsbollah
26-11-2012, 07:34 PM
I think Barton is doing that on purpose, he's very media savvy. He's also doing very well for OM this season, but probably knows he needs to do 'mad' things to be back in the engerlish media spotlight again.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2012, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=iwasthere1972;3426020]He did. That was well funny.

Any others? Did Henrik Larsson pick up a glaswegian accent?[/QUOTE

Dan Agger has a bit of a scouse twang

Sir David Gray
26-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Not really but Brian Laudrup did.

Jonnyboy
26-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Doesn't Peter Schmeichel have a bit of a Manc twang?

HH81
26-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Ha ha class clown.

I know he gets lot of stick for his off field antics but I have seen him live few times and he is a very good footballer.

HibeeN
26-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Dan Agger has a bit of a scouse twang

Doesn't Peter Schmeichel have a bit of a Manc twang?

Difference is in these cases is that English isn't their first language - they are still learning it an a sense so they are more susceptible to pick up accents. Would be a different story if Agger and Schmeichel were speaking Danish with a scouse/manc accents :greengrin

GORDONSMITH7
26-11-2012, 08:00 PM

Oh really. Sir Mark Tully, held the position of Chief of Bureau, BBC, Delhi for 20 years.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yIDRoHcE9o

If he was a total tit like the appalling Barton or McClaren he should have sounded like Peter Sellers:rolleyes: .........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3A7B6qtUpU

BIG G

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2012, 08:01 PM
It is understandable, i moved to tenerife for a while, and when i came back i did have a slight cockney accent.

I'm_cabbaged
26-11-2012, 08:03 PM
It is understandable, i moved to tenerife for a while, and when i came back i did have a slight cockney accent.

:)
you must've a weegie accent now! ;)

GORDONSMITH7
26-11-2012, 08:06 PM

Ha,ha. Quality.

BIG G

Saorsa
26-11-2012, 08:09 PM
It is understandable, i moved to tenerife for a while, and when i came back i did have a slight cockney accent.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2012, 08:09 PM
:)
you must've a weegie accent now! ;)

:greengrin

Pretty Boy
26-11-2012, 08:37 PM

Peter Lovenkrands sounded like an extra from Still Game when he was at the huns.

Westie1875
26-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Have we all seen Jim White's reaction? :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBgKudlYhJE

Sir David Gray
26-11-2012, 09:02 PM

:faf:

Saorsa
26-11-2012, 09:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBgKudlYhJEhttp://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/smilies%202/fall_off_chair_laughing.gif

iwasthere1972
26-11-2012, 09:29 PM

Comedy gold. :greengrin

stu in nottingham
26-11-2012, 11:11 PM

There is a precedent. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSXzRWlL7Z0

NOLA
26-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Peter Lovenkrands sounded like an extra from Still Game when he was at the huns.

jorg Albertz had a barry weegie twang :greengrin

Peevemor
27-11-2012, 12:28 AM

:agree: I speak French practically all day, every day and I have to pronounce any English words/names with a French accent otherwise they don't understand me - eg. Hibernian becomes ee-ber-nee-an (à la Franck!). It used to do my head in and made me feel a right wonkeur, but after 8+ years I don't think twice about it now.

majorhibs
27-11-2012, 01:17 AM
:agree: I speak French practically all day, every day and I have to pronounce any English words/names with a French accent otherwise they don't understand me - eg. Hibernian becomes ee-ber-nee-an (à la Franck!). It used to do my head in and made me feel a right wonkeur, but after 8+ years I don't think twice about it now.

Exactly - try speaking some different languages with a Scots accent & you're soon fed up saying everything at least 3 times if you're not blanked altogether, had to learn Portuguese twice, first out a dictionary & then how to pronounce most these words I'd learned, Scots accents dont transfer good to Latino & I'd imagine French, fair play to Barton for trying as he's not been there that long has he?

ChooseLife
27-11-2012, 02:46 AM
certain words Mixu says in english sounds very scottish to me.

There's also a polish girl at my work who speaks very good english in a broad scottish accent. :agree:

Skanko79
27-11-2012, 07:43 AM
He's been there 5 minutes, he's clearly taking the p1ss.

Bartons a smashing player and i hope it works out over there for him.

hibee_girl
27-11-2012, 08:23 AM

:agree: he said pretty much that on twitter

worcesterhibby
27-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Basically if you are in France and do your best to speak French in a French accent then that's cool. Just like Jan Molby speaking English in Liverpool with a Scouse accent is fine. However just speaking Allo Allo style English in France is not the same.

iwasthere1972
27-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Basically if you are in France and do your best to speak French in a French accent then that's cool. Just like Jan Molby speaking English in Liverpool with a Scouse accent is fine. However just speaking Allo Allo style English in France is not the same.

:wink:

Definitely warrants a red card. Taken zee peesh outa zee French.

Pete
27-11-2012, 04:08 PM

What if you are speaking English and want French people to understand your English.

Do you think anyone in france understands English in a Liverpudlian accent?

Peevemor
27-11-2012, 04:30 PM
What if you are speaking English and want French people to understand your English.

Do you think anyone in france understands English in a Liverpudlian accent?

Exactly - they understand a lot more if you speak English as they do.

lyonhibs
27-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Exactly - they understand a lot more if you speak English as they do.

:agree::agree:

As you've previously mentioned, some English words pronounced "properly" mean bugger all to a French person. Put a French accent on and they get it straight away.

When I was primary teaching, I asked who knew "David Beckham". Not a soul. I asked who knew "Davide Beckamm" and suddenly 20 kids knew exactly who I was talking about.

Still, that Barton video is priceless, though not as funny as McLaren when you consider about 80% of Dutch people probably speak better English than him, dodgy accent or not!!

Finbar
27-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Steven Fletcher on MOTD a couple of weeks ago sounded like he was picking up a bit of a north east accent.

Peevemor
27-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Steven Fletcher on MOTD a couple of weeks ago sounded like he was picking up a bit of a north east accent.

Not the NE, but he was born in Shrewsbury and spent his early years there.

Sir David Gray
27-11-2012, 06:07 PM
certain words Mixu says in english sounds very scottish to me.

There's also a polish girl at my work who speaks very good english in a broad scottish accent. :agree:

Yes but they are both non-native English speakers who have probably learned English from Scottish people so therefore they pick up the accent as well as being able to speak the language.

Joey Barton, on the other hand, is speaking English, which is his native language, in a foreign accent!

Slight difference! :greengrin

If Barton was attempting to speak French in a Marseille accent (if such a thing actually exists!) then I could understand the comparison but he's not so I don't!

Hainan Hibs
27-11-2012, 06:21 PM
There's a huge difference between speaking a foreign language in a local language and an English person, going to France, and speaking English in a French accent.

Living in Holland when I speak English I speak it very clearly and slowly but there is no need to adopt a Dutch accent. If I started to speak English in a Dutch accent I'd be considered either taking the complete piss or off my head on crack.

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Yes but they are both non-native English speakers who have probably learned English from Scottish people so therefore they pick up the accent as well as being able to speak the language.

Joey Barton, on the other hand, is speaking English, which is his native language, in a foreign accent!

Slight difference! :greengrin

If Barton was attempting to speak French in a Marseille accent (if such a thing actually exists!) then I could understand the comparison but he's not so I don't!

So am I :greengrin

Peevemor
27-11-2012, 06:54 PM
There's a huge difference between speaking a foreign language in a local language and an English person, going to France, and speaking English in a French accent.

Living in Holland when I speak English I speak it very clearly and slowly but there is no need to adopt a Dutch accent. If I started to speak English in a Dutch accent I'd be considered either taking the complete piss or off my head on crack.

There's also a huge difference between how Dutch and French people speak English.

The word "in" for example, will be pronounced normally by a Dutch or German person whereas a French,Spanish or Italian speaker will say "een". Sometimes to be understood you have to do the same thing.

If you pronounce Manchester or Birmingham 'normally', then most French people simply won't understand - you have to say Mon-chess-terre and Beer-meeng-gam. As I said, it did my nut in at first, but now I just go with the flow - conversations are generally a lot more enjoyable when people know what you're on about. :agree:

Hibee_Dave
27-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I'd echo that-when I say Hibernian to the Japanese, they haven't got a clue but when I say hee-ba-ni-a-nu they all go mental and kick off a word perfect rendition of gu-ro-ri, gu-ro-ri!

lapsedhibee
27-11-2012, 10:52 PM
I'd echo that-when I say Hibernian to the Japanese, they haven't got a clue but when I say hee-ba-ni-a-nu they all go mental and kick off a word perfect rendition of gu-ro-ri, gu-ro-ri!

Porbally rattle some brigade's cage doing this, but :greengrin