PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon

shetlandhibee
26-11-2012, 12:33 AM
I only saw the highlights. Was hanlon good?? When I watched him against Dundee and utd he lacked confidence on the ball and he couldnt keep the ball on the ground. If he played like what he played like against Dundee then I think he will struggle to get in the starting 11 when mcpake and Clancy return.

basehibby
26-11-2012, 01:42 AM
I only saw the highlights. Was hanlon good?? When I watched him against Dundee and utd he lacked confidence on the ball and he couldnt keep the ball on the ground. If he played like what he played like against Dundee then I think he will struggle to get in the starting 11 when mcpake and Clancy return.

He made one error in posession which could have cost us but was otherwise solid. He's an improving player though and I'd see him as very much a part of the first pick back 4 along with Clancy, McPake and McGivern.

Diclonius
26-11-2012, 02:37 AM
Hanlon has been our best defender this season.

CB_NO3
26-11-2012, 04:14 AM
Makes at least one bad mistake per game that nearly costs us goals. Needs to toughen up a bit IMO but still has lots of potential.

scoopyboy
26-11-2012, 06:45 AM

It seems to be the general opinion that if they all played like they did against Dundee then none of them would be in the starting eleven.

SMAXXA
26-11-2012, 09:22 AM
I think he started the season well but has creeped into bad habits of late, he still needs to be stronger and more commanding in the air. He struggles up against a striker of decent size, mcpake isn't the biggest but has a good leap and is far better In the air imo.

I have to say I would be tempted to see how good mcpake and mcgivern are together but recon when fir it will be lewis that drops out with ryan at left back and james and paul in the centre. Clancy will be a big difference also.

Stevie Reid
26-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Given that he was again required to play on his unnatural side, he was good, first half error aside.

Brightside
26-11-2012, 09:47 AM

He made one mistake playing out of position. Fully expect him to remain first or second choice on the sheet every week.

Pedantic_Hibee
26-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Given that McPake has, by his own admission, not played brilliantly this season, Hanlon is all the better for lining up alongside James.

I wish the two of them would start ragging strikers about the gaff though.

kentao
26-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Hibs defence has been poor for a few seasons now. We have changed all the personnel bar Hanlon and things haven't really improved. Maybe its time to give Hanlon a break and try Mcpake and Mcgirven and see how we fare. The both are similar in the way they play and have the desire to win their personal battles.

GGTTH

LeighLoyal
26-11-2012, 11:19 AM
He made one mistake from a bad touch that should have cost us a goal. He's still maturing and might be a top player, but is still a work in progress.

Love the Green
26-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Hanlon has been our best defender this season.

Oh dear I cannot believe this statement same errors week after week, 3 years now he has been first team squad and has made no improvement at all.

"keep the faith":agree:

Steven_Hibs
26-11-2012, 11:43 AM
I think he's brutal, gets shoved off the ball far too easily and is no way anywhere near being a centrehalf. McGivern on the other hand shows that he has what it takes to play in that position.

littleplum
26-11-2012, 01:02 PM
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Hanlon is much improved in the last year and has had a much better season than McPake for instance. His positioning is so much better and he attacks the ball now- I don't remember him losing many headers on Saturday, or getting muscled off the ball (indeed, I can't recall many examples of this at all this season).

He is still prone to the occasional mistake- one on Saturday- but they are getting fewer and fewer compared to a couple of years ago. Indeed, he has made fewer mistakes at the back this season than McPake, Maybury and Williams (and I'm not having a go at any of them).

He is the best young Scottish centre back playing at the moment (damning with faint praise perhaps but intended as a complement).

Makaveli
26-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Oh dear I cannot believe this statement same errors week after week, 3 years now he has been first team squad and has made no improvement at all.

You're joking, right?

Hanlon is a different player from six months ago, never mind three years. IMO he has indeed been our best CH this season — he has bailed McPake out numerous times and McGivern has had one good, one decent and one stinking game beside him.

Hanlon bashing is an old habit, just like the surreal criticism of Wotherspoon on Saturday. All of this coming from someone who would have been glad to see the back of both in the summer, btw.

3pm
26-11-2012, 01:25 PM
You're joking, right?

Hanlon is a different player from six months ago, never mind three years. IMO he has indeed been our best CH this season — he has bailed McPake out numerous times and McGivern has had one good, one decent and one stinking game beside him.

Hanlon bashing is an old habit, just like the surreal criticism of Wotherspoon on Saturday. All of this coming from someone who would have been glad to see the back of both in the summer, btw.

Very encouraging for this team if Hanlon is the scapegoat. :agree:

Should win the league easy if he's the worst.

Broken Gnome
26-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Half the current problem is being forced to play McGivern at centre half. Not because he's not a good one, but we've lost a damn good full back in the process who added something different.

Everyone wants Hanlon to man up a bit at times, but if all are fit it's Clancy-McPake-Hanlon-McGivern. Easy.

Jonnyboy
26-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Makes at least one bad mistake per game that nearly costs us goals. Needs to toughen up a bit IMO but still has lots of potential.

Pretty much right there but then again so has McPake in a high number of matches but it seems he is bullet proof :wink:

steviehibsleith
26-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Hibs defence has been poor for a few seasons now. We have changed all the personnel bar Hanlon and things haven't really improved. Maybe its time to give Hanlon a break and try Mcpake and Mcgirven and see how we fare. The both are similar in the way they play and have the desire to win their personal battles.

GGTTH

Agree totally - And heres the punchline Last seasons player of the year Lewis Stevenson cannot get into our starting midfield and may struggle more once Deegs is back .

Mcgivern and Mcpake should have a chance at Center half positions - this for me is where we may see a massive improvement but will never know unless its tried.

We give away two many goal from balls over the top or stupid mistakes - also when Mcgivern signed James Mcpake was very quick to sing his praises maybe he wanted to play alongside him.

leggeto
26-11-2012, 08:03 PM
think we should cash in on him in january, might get decent money for him although dont know who would want to sign him,making too many howlers:flag:

LaMotta
26-11-2012, 08:08 PM
think we should cash in on him in january, might get decent money for him although dont know who would want to sign him,making too many howlers:flag:

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure:greengrin

leggeto
26-11-2012, 08:16 PM
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure:greengrin

we could use him as back-up and give maybury his position:wink:

ancient hibee
26-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Interested to read fanzone in the News tonight-a number complaining about the defence -needing to sort it out.Is this the defence that only allowed one shot on target and where for most of the match everyone did his job fine or was it some other game?

Col2
26-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Interested to read fanzone in the News tonight-a number complaining about the defence -needing to sort it out.Is this the defence that only allowed one shot on target and where for most of the match everyone did his job fine or was it some other game?

I agree. Thought we were rock solid apart from one slip. Which was very costly. If we had won 2-0 people would have been raving about how we didn't give them a sniff at goal. I am ok with our defence for Sunday, if McPake back then fine and Lewis drops out.

S.sct
26-11-2012, 09:25 PM
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Hanlon is much improved in the last year and has had a much better season than McPake for instance. His positioning is so much better and he attacks the ball now- I don't remember him losing many headers on Saturday, or getting muscled off the ball (indeed, I can't recall many examples of this at all this season).

He is still prone to the occasional mistake- one on Saturday- but they are getting fewer and fewer compared to a couple of years ago. Indeed, he has made fewer mistakes at the back this season than McPake, Maybury and Williams (and I'm not having a go at any of them).

He is the best young Scottish centre back playing at the moment (damning with faint praise perhaps but intended as a complement).

Agree re Saturday and that was against a big striker. However, the howlers (although far fewer) need to be eradicated if he's really going to progress....and a wee bit nastiness would help.

Brightside
26-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Agree re Saturday and that was against a big striker. However, the howlers (although far fewer) need to be eradicated if he's really going to progress....and a wee bit nastiness would help.

I still find it odd when Hanlon is picked out as a weak link. Yes he makes a mistake now and then, but christ almighty its fewer mistakes than most of the team. He is a superb young talent who in the past season has covered up mistakes by Mcpake time and time again. ALL defenders make mistakes. But i would not swap him for another other CB in the league. Get behind the players and they will repay the faith.

Diclonius
26-11-2012, 09:35 PM

What defenders have played better than Hanlon this season?

Wotherspiniesta
26-11-2012, 10:07 PM

^^^^

Doesn't watch Hibs.

Hanlon's made a big improvement this season. James has brung him on really well.

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2012, 10:51 PM
He's a good second banana to McPake, who has brought him along well, but looks more fragile and less confident when JMcP isn't alongside him. Would like to see Paul show a bit more leadership and aggression and step up, because we are going to lose McPake for spells, as bad backs generally don't get better through time.

RIP
26-11-2012, 11:14 PM
There has been a consistent problem with our defence for 5 years now

The midfield and the ease with which opposing teams run through it

Watch every goal we've conceded and most of the time you will witness a failure to track a runner, refusal to attempt to cut out a cross or backing off the man with the ball.

sahib
26-11-2012, 11:28 PM

I agree with this. The defence coped pretty well and this season with Claros, in front, sticking a leg in or making blocks we have been tighter at the back than for some time. Hanlon has been much improved.

J-C
27-11-2012, 09:41 AM
I've been critical of him in the past and yes he has improved slightly this year, mainly due to having an experienced CH along side, very similar when Jones played with Hogg, we all know what happened when Jones left :confused:.

As has been said before, CH is not his natural position, he started off in midfield if I'm correct. He still looks weak for a CH, needs to toughen up and become the boss of some of these forwards, his passing from the back can also be a bit wayward( big lumps up the park ) and occasionally his mind wanders and the mistakes happen, so he needs to be sharper mentally too.

Although improvements have been made, my worry is if, like Hogg, when the going gets tough, will he crumble under the pressure or will he become the dominant CH we all want him to.

The Sea-gull
27-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Hanlon is ok, has potential but needs to work on his confidence, cut out the silly errors and bulk up a bit as for me he gets bullied and shoved off the ball too easily for a CB. In many ways believe he would actually have benefitted better development wise had he been at another club.

For whatever reason, we don't develop top class centre halves and never really have for a long time now. Don't know why but always feel Hibs are a good club for a young forward, midfielder or even attacking full back to develop but centre halves seem to develop better at Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hearts and Motherwell.

Hanlon's confidence always gets shot to pieces as well as he goes along and strings some decent performances together then has a wee wobble and the fans get on his back. His development has not been helped by managers continually switching him from full back to centre half and back to full back and back to centre half again.