PDA

View Full Version : Alan Maybury

FromTheCapital
24-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Shocking defending for the goal.
Passes like my dog.
Gave the ball away late on and didn't even bother to get back.
Horrible performance from start to finish!

:grr:

dmc1875
24-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Really harsh to single Maybury out..

Lets forget completely about his brilliant challenge that saved a certain goal after Hanlons howler in the first half as well...:rolleyes:

hibee_girl
24-11-2012, 05:04 PM
He had a hot and cold game today, like many of the team.

One minute he was miles away from his man but then he'd come along and make a superb tackle like the one after Hanlon's mistake.

Harsh to just single out him.

SneakersO'Toole
24-11-2012, 05:07 PM

Nonsense.

McGinn was quiet today and that was largely down to Maybury IMO. He also saved us from a near certain goal early in the first half.

Cameron1875
Agent Maybury...:tin hat:

VickMackie
Always looked likely to get torn apart by mcginn but did chase back to put a great saving challenge for what should have been a certain goal.

marleyhib
I thought he was poor today, gave the ball away a lot

LaMotta
24-11-2012, 05:10 PM
He had some good moments today, but he is costing us big time with mistakes. Two weeks in a row. Every time he gets the ball he slows things things down.

Sooner Clancy is back the better.

hibsbollah
24-11-2012, 05:10 PM
He was good first half, poor second half. Doesnt really deserve singling out, although its not the first time hes spoiled a good performance with a costly slip.

Spike Mandela
24-11-2012, 05:12 PM
He is our weak link week after week and cost us quite a few points so far this seazon imo.

VickMackie
24-11-2012, 05:14 PM
He had some good moments today, but he is costing us big time with mistakes. Two weeks in a row. Every time he gets the ball he slows things things down.

Sooner Clancy is back the better.

Or punts it up the line. I'd like to see us playing the ball into the middle of the park more often.

Scottish football is just amateurish. There was a spell in the first half where the ball was in the air for about 15 seconds just getting headed around.

NorthNorfolkHFC
24-11-2012, 05:16 PM
He is a good lad but I wonder how many goals he has single handedly cost us?

.Sean.
24-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Easy scapegoat because he played for Hearts.

hibee_girl
24-11-2012, 05:22 PM

:agree:

Few guys behind us today decided to tell everyone what a Hearts b*****d Maybury is :rolleyes:

LaMotta
24-11-2012, 05:24 PM

or because he is costing us with basic errors?

East Coast Hibe
24-11-2012, 05:29 PM
I think he was poor today and is certainly a weak link in the team. He has had a few decent games and I don't have a problem if he needs to play next week. I would feel safer however if Clancy is back. I have noticed that most of our opponents target our right back area

hibbygraham
24-11-2012, 05:35 PM
His distribution is woeful, which tends to invite needless pressure. I think he reads the game well, admittedly, but the legs have gone. A liability.

IWasThere2016
24-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Not mobile enough IMHO. We need Clancy back asap.

Piqué
24-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Wasn't there today but Maybury is a player who frustrates. Seems to slow down our attacks by dwindling on the ball too often or just punts it aimlessly. Also has a habit of running away from wingers and giving too much space.

On the other hand he can cover both full back positions and we can't expect to have brilliant backup players at the club. Happy to have him around as cover but let's hope he isn't needed too often this season.

lucky
24-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Passes like my dog.

Got to disagree mate. Thought he was solid today. But gets picked out because he's an exjambo

Billy Whizz
24-11-2012, 05:42 PM
He is a good lad but I wonder how many goals he has single handedly cost us?

Hearts at ER in August
Inverness 1st goal 6 week ago
Gave away possession needlessly at Dundee last week that have away the corner
Today
On the positive, great defensive block late on against Dundee Utd 2 weeks ago

BurghHibby
24-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Maybury's been stinking most weeks, count the goals he's cost us:
Short passback against the vermin
Shoved off the ball by a wee ICT laddie
Wasn't entirely blameless for Dundee Utd goal at ER
Pointless penalty at Dens last week
Today

Think I've missed some as well!

He's sheight, don't think I've ever disliked a Hibs player so much.

Get him tae f***!

Hibeesforever
24-11-2012, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=AleeAleeAlayOh!;3423952]Shocking defending for the goal.
Passes like my dog.

:grr:[/QUOTE

McGivern is the one who is most consistent at the back. I feel that Maybury's "problem" is that he sits off too much. Should be putting a tackle in further up the pitch. Also, too many times, Spoony is out of position and not doubling up to help. The other important point, is that Maybury does not look to play the ball up to the strikers feet often enough. Certainly saved a goal but gave one away by not preventing the cross coming in for the goal.

Same team for Wed. night, must keep a clean sheet.

Brightside
24-11-2012, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=AleeAleeAlayOh!;3423952]Shocking defending for the goal.
Passes like my dog.

:grr:[/QUOTE

McGivern is the one who is most consistent at the back. I feel that Maybury's "problem" is that he sits off too much. Should be putting a tackle in further up the pitch. Also, too many times, Spoony is out of position and not doubling up to help. The other important point, is that Maybury does not look to play the ball up to the strikers feet often enough. Certainly saved a goal but gave one away by not preventing the cross coming in for the goal.

Same team for Wed. night, must keep a clean sheet.

He made a couple of decent tackles, but for me his biggest problem is that he wont get forward and support. Lets remember we are missing 3 certain starters. Clancy and Deegan are badly missed. The boy Taiwo was a total passenger. Also i still dont understand why we wait until 80+ mins for changes when its obvious a few players were struggling in the last 30 mins.

Twa Cairpets
24-11-2012, 05:54 PM
There was a guy a the end of the game today, at the furthest North of the exits from the East who at the final whistle was at the point of doing himself a mischief such was his screaming apoplexy at Maybury.

I think I quote directly when I recall "F*** off Maybury, you f****** Hearts C***. F*** off F*** off useless f****** hearts b******". This accompanied by a reddening face, streams of spittle dampening the air and a borderline cardiac. Then he turned on his heel and smacked the sign above the exit whilst still screaming "Maybury ya Hearts b******".

If this was you , could I suggest you take a wee bit anger management?

Did anyone else see him? mid-late forties, face like a potato, not what you'd call an athletic build.

He made errors, but so did every player, a defenders errors will always be keenly seen but as someone posted his covering for Hanlon's faux pas was exceptional. Was he a Hearts c*** at that moment?

MWHIBBIES
24-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Passes like my dog.

:grr:Complete rubbish, Maybury was fine today, McGinn was hardly in the game.

Alfred E Newman
24-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Today

Get him tae f***!

what a load of garbage. Did you like him as a player when he was at the bus shelter?

ancient hibee
24-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Defence was ok today-goalie didn't have one save -had to go for one or two crosses.Unfortunate mistake but you get that when players tire.It wouldn't have mattered if one or two upfront had kept calm instead of panicking in front of goal when there was no need.

wearethehibs
24-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Cant believe the stick he is getting. From what I seen the goal was just unlucky for us, there was no mistake?

Seems some people are making hime the new scape goat

LeighLoyal
24-11-2012, 06:01 PM
I thought he did quite well, but he sold the jersey's again.

ScottB
24-11-2012, 06:03 PM
He's too slow at the end of the day, during the St Mirren game he was beaten all day long for pace, happened today again, as well as a couple mistakes.

J-C
24-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Legs have gone, simple as.
Brain still good but body struggling to cope and being found out because of it.

Hibeesforever
24-11-2012, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=Hibeesforever;3424079]

He made a couple of decent tackles, but for me his biggest problem is that he wont get forward and support. Lets remember we are missing 3 certain starters. Clancy and Deegan are badly missed. The boy Taiwo was a total passenger. Also i still dont understand why we wait until 80+ mins for changes when its obvious a few players were struggling in the last 30 mins.

Yes, no overlap potential from Maybury and if he does get into a crossing position it is never hit at pace. Leigh and Doyle never look for the near post, so waste of a cross anyway. Wish Doyle would attack the front, because he is reasonable in the air.
Our bench does say it all, we were very unlucky today but our shots seemed always to be outside the box. Some best forgotten eg. Carlos and Spoony, they missed the target by miles. Taiwo needs to be more direct in the penalty box, he won't score sitting 30 yeards out.
Leigh looked a million pound player again today; shoots on sight, if only he had a right foot though.

BurghHibby
24-11-2012, 06:09 PM
what a load of garbage. Did you like him as a player when he was at the bus shelter?

Didn't rate him when he was at the vermin or elsewhere, always thought he was a weak link that should be targetted, as most of our recent opponents seem to doing just now.

How is pointing out this liability a load of garbage?
Do you think his performances have been acceptable, I certainly don't, he costs us goals virtually every game he's played!

Famous5forever
24-11-2012, 06:14 PM
His distribution is woeful, which tends to invite needless pressure. I think he reads the game well, admittedly, but the legs have gone. A liability.

Another Paddy signing that makes me concerned of his ability to identify a good player, however working on the limited budget on offer from Petrie he cant be blamed. I Am confident that these 2 results are only a blip we will make Europe and another good run in the cup:pfgwa

Golden Bear
24-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Ah ha. It's the now customary weekly scapegoat thread. Maybury this week - maybe we should run some bookies odds on the next game. It all does wonders for a player's confidence after all.

wookie70
24-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Agree with the earlier comment of he was hot and cold today. I would have blamed Wotherspoon more for the goal. He was goalside and let his man drift past him. Looked like a lack of effort or just taking a chance hoping he would be in a good position if we won the ball. I do think Wotherspoon would be far more effective if he had a fullback who could support and give him some more options.

Brightside
24-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Wotherspoon took a knock about 55 in...should have been hooked by 60. Big mistake by Fenlon. He does seem to have a sub phobia!

lord bunberry
24-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Ah ha. It's the now customary weekly scapegoat thread. Maybury this week - maybe we should run some bookies odds on the next game. It all does wonders for a player's confidence after all.

I don't think that its all about scapegoats there is no doubt that mayburys error led to the goal and its not a crime to point that out. I thought today was one of our best performances this season but there is no getting away from it mayburys sold the pies today. But if we play like we did today next week we will be in the next round of the cup because from what i saw from hearts today was a piss poor team waiting to be put out of their misery

Franck Stanton
24-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Thought the previous coment "he was hot and cold today" sums up his performance. was brilliant at the Hanlon mistake, slow at their goal. However to single him out is wrong. Seems every mistake Maybury makes is costly, Hyanlon makes a mistake - Maybury helps out, maybury makes a mistake - no-one has experience/savvy to help him out. Thought todays game was entertaining - we certainly didn't deserve to lose. Football eh.
Oh and for all you yams looking in --- Hectors gonna get you.

Piqué
24-11-2012, 06:40 PM
There was a guy a the end of the game today, at the furthest North of the exits from the East who at the final whistle was at the point of doing himself a mischief such was his screaming apoplexy at Maybury.

I think I quote directly when I recall "F*** off Maybury, you f****** Hearts C***. F*** off F*** off useless f****** hearts b******". This accompanied by a reddening face, streams of spittle dampening the air and a borderline cardiac. Then he turned on his heel and smacked the sign above the exit whilst still screaming "Maybury ya Hearts b******".

Did anyone else see him? mid-late forties, face like a potato, not what you'd call an athletic build.

He made errors, but so did every player, a defenders errors will always be keenly seen but as someone posted his covering for Hanlon's faux pas was exceptional. Was he a Hearts c*** at that moment?
Grey/white hair? Return of the angry man!?

khib70
24-11-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm absolutely raging at Maybury right now. I done a photoshoot with him and Sutton a few weeks ago for Macmillan cancer. I wish I'd broken his leg there and then!!! Between him and hanlon, how many goals are that pair of pricks going to cost us. I thought that the team showed great spirit today but yet again, 1 player screws us and sells the jerseys. If vlad's a hibee, Maybury is still a yam fud. Sorry Alan, as nice a guy as you are, you're not good enough. BOLT!!!
This is a Hibs player you're talking about. Pleased with yourself, are you?

:bye:

lord bunberry
24-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm absolutely raging at Maybury right now. I done a photoshoot with him and Sutton a few weeks ago for Macmillan cancer. I wish I'd broken his leg there and then!!! Between him and hanlon, how many goals are that pair of pricks going to cost us. I thought that the team showed great spirit today but yet again, 1 player screws us and sells the jerseys. If vlad's a hibee, Maybury is still a yam fud. Sorry Alan, as nice a guy as you are, you're not good enough. BOLT!!!

Get a grip ffs

MWHIBBIES
24-11-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm absolutely raging at Maybury right now. I done a photoshoot with him and Sutton a few weeks ago for Macmillan cancer. I wish I'd broken his leg there and then!!! Between him and hanlon, how many goals are that pair of pricks going to cost us. I thought that the team showed great spirit today but yet again, 1 player screws us and sells the jerseys. If vlad's a hibee, Maybury is still a yam fud. Sorry Alan, as nice a guy as you are, you're not good enough. BOLT!!!Pathetic

JohnStephens91
24-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Today

Get him tae f***!

Sorry that takes the biscuit, Nish dived from a bit of contact that wouldn't have been enough to knock Nicole Richie over and he wasn't at fault for Mackay-Steven scoring either, that was a mix-up between Hanlon and Williams. Maybury is just an easy target for people because he has played for Hearts and because of his age. He is a good player to have in our squad and is very reliable and capable of playing at the top level in Scotland.

JohnStephens91
24-11-2012, 07:12 PM

This is undoubtedly the worst post I have ever read on here. Wishing you'd broken the legs of a Hibs player and a 'nice guy' is pitiful and only serves to cast you as a to your fellow supporters. You should be ashamed of yourself.

leggeto
24-11-2012, 07:14 PM

prob heat of the moment, last thing we need is another david stephens gifting goals,thought we played well today, is a bit frustraiting as aberdeen did not deserve to win this:flag:

edinburghhibee
24-11-2012, 07:18 PM

Think we found the boy who was going tontoe in the east someone was talking about... ;)

Maybury is our back up, he's a squad player and in my eyes he is a decent player to have around due to his flexibility to play in different positions. Yes he will be beaten for pace on occasions but he is in the later years of his career what do we expect?

I'm sure he will be desperate to play to the best of his abilities against both his old clubs this week and let's hope he does. This thread is pathetic in my opinion.

Famous5forever
24-11-2012, 07:19 PM
prob heat of the moment, last thing we need is another david stephens gifting goals,thought we played well today, is a bit frustraiting as aberdeen did not deserve to win this:flag:

I was not their today due to work but from what i hear we were robbed we must win our next 2 games our our crowds will drop we are on a knife edge its make or break time:flag:

Houchy
24-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Think we found the boy who was going tontoe in the east someone was talking about... ;)

Maybury is our back up, he's a squad player and in my eyes he is a decent player to have around due to his flexibility to play in different positions. Yes he will be beaten for pace on occasions but he is in the later years of his career what do we expect?

I'm sure he will be desperate to play to the best of his abilities against both his old clubs this week and let's hope he does. This thread is pathetic in my opinion.

No me man, I was in the east but wasn't going about hitting signs. I've no got grey hair either. I'm baldy lol.

brianmc
24-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Maybury comes across as a 'good pro'. Seems to have a decent attitude, always tries hard and doesn't come over as a knob......
However!! His pace, distribution, positioning and technique all go against him I'm afraid.
If you stuck me in the Green, on the hallowed turf, I'd have all the best intentions too. And, just like maybury I sadly wouldn't be up to the task either. This doesn't make either of us bad guys or indeed Hertz bassas-but it does mean that my position up in the stand means one of us is in the right place.

lord bunberry
24-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Ok, I accept the fact that I was out of line saying that I wish I'd broken his leg (i wouldn't wish that on any player) but I stand by the rest of it, that he's hopeless and costing us points on a regular basis. He just ain't good enough and I'd rather see a youngster given a chance in his place.

Fair enough mate but i don't see a direct replacement for him. Its easy to saytthat there is a better player in the youth team but its not always the case

AlbertK86
24-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Few guys behind us today decided to tell everyone what a Hearts b*****d Maybury is :rolleyes:

Don't know if you were near me but there were a few clowns saying likewise in the row right behind me.

Yeah he didn't have his best game but as somebody said earlier he was hot and cold as he did some really good things.

Mind you they were berating the whole team even Griffiths McGivern and Claros who I all thought were excellent

They had a wee laddie about 6 or 7 and he was being encouraged to shout abuse ...

Sorry guys ... Incase you Didnae notice you are there to SUPPORT the team

AlbertK86
24-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Today

Get him tae f***!

Hanlon has cost us just as many and for a centre back he gets pushed off the ball a lot easier than Maybury

Just saying

AlbertK86
24-11-2012, 07:50 PM

Get a grip

Houchy
24-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Get a grip

FFS, I've already said that I was out of line for the original comment and that I wouldn't wish a broken leg on any player but you just carry on reading the posts you want to read.

Unfortunately, I can't take back my original post that was posted in anger. I also got hit by some tool in a ka (not mayburys fault, granted) which just kept going and just when I caught up with them, they were able to get away. That and our team getting robbed made me a VERY angry boy leading me to post about Maybury. My bad, but seriously, what do you want me to do???

HibeeN
24-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Mistake aside, I didn't think Maybury was as poor today as some are making out. Yes, he gave the ball away a few times today but so did many others - including Claros, Cairney, Spoony and not to mention poor-decision making from Griffiths and Doyle. He wasn't alone in that aspect and I think in general he had a decent game - as did Stevenson - as we weren't really getting in much bother from wide areas.

Obviously, it's not ideal, as others have mentioned he isn't very quick and offers very little in attacking play, but throwing a youngster in would probably see us make many more mistakes than with a player like Maybury. He does have experience, and although I'm looking forward to having Clancy back, I don't agree with some of the abuse thrown his way.

hibsbollah
24-11-2012, 08:00 PM
He's better than Michael Hart.

lord bunberry
24-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Don't know if you were near me but there were a few clowns saying likewise in the row right behind me.

Yeah he didn't have his best game but as somebody said earlier he was hot and cold as he did some really good things.

Mind you they were berating the whole team even Griffiths McGivern and Claros who I all thought were excellent

They had a wee laddie about 6 or 7 and he was being encouraged to shout abuse ...

Sorry guys ... Incase you Didnae notice you are there to SUPPORT the team

What is your point exactly i get a bit tired of these posts criticising our own supporters at the end of the day we are all hibees and like it or not we are all guilty by association

Golden Bear
24-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Mistake aside, I didn't think Maybury was as poor today as some are making out. Yes, he gave the ball away a few times today but so did many others - including Claros, Cairney, Spoony and not to mention poor-decision making from Griffiths and Doyle. He wasn't alone in that aspect and I think in general he had a decent game - as did Stevenson - as we weren't really getting in much bother from wide areas.

Obviously, it's not ideal, as others have mentioned he isn't very quick and offers very little in attacking play, but throwing a youngster in would probably see us make many more mistakes than with a player like Maybury. He does have experience, and although I'm looking forward to having Clancy back, I don't agree with some of the abuse thrown his way.

Spot on - excellent post.

FranckSuzy
24-11-2012, 08:03 PM
He's better than Michael Hart.

Talk about being damned with faint praise! :greengrin

hibsbollah
24-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Talk about being damned with faint praise! :greengrin

...better than Gathuessi and Zarabi too :greengrin

FranckSuzy
24-11-2012, 08:09 PM
...better than Gathuessi and Zarabi too :greengrin

You're taking this too far now :greengrin

JimBHibees
24-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Another Paddy signing that makes me concerned of his ability to identify a good player, however working on the limited budget on offer from Petrie he cant be blamed. I Am confident that these 2 results are only a blip we will make Europe and another good run in the cup:pfgwa

Comment screams yam.

.Sean.
24-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Comment screams yam.
The majority of his do. Get him launched :agree:

lord bunberry
24-11-2012, 08:18 PM
FFS, I've already said that I was out of line for the original comment and that I wouldn't wish a broken leg on any player but you just carry on reading the posts you want to read.

Unfortunately, I can't take back my original post that was posted in anger. I also got hit by some tool in a ka (not mayburys fault, granted) which just kept going and just when I caught up with them, they were able to get away That and our team getting robbed made me a VERY angry boy leading me to post about Maybury. My bad, but seriously, what do you want me to
do???

Bizarre

Hermit Crab
24-11-2012, 08:23 PM
If anyone had a howler it was Wotherspoon today, simply shocking at best.

Scouse Hibee
24-11-2012, 08:33 PM

:agree: The rejuvenated Spoony didn't turn up today.

SMAXXA
24-11-2012, 08:39 PM

Totally agree! However that's the worst I've seen doyle and $aybury was pish poor and was to blame for the goal. That said I do like alan as a squad player but do feel he's made a few costly mistakes for us and more so than any other of our defenders.

Incidentally lewis has slotted in at left back and has been pass marks and as good as anyone so credit where its due imo.

lord bunberry
24-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Which part?

It's been a cumulation of things that have left me raging today and Maybury has bared the brunt of it. I've said that my post about breaking his legs was out of line and yet people are still going radge about it. There's nothing I can do about it now so I'm saying no more on the subject and ill stay away until I've calmed down.

Im saying its bizarre because i had already accepted the fact that you were only blowing of some steam in an earlier post if you had bothered to check

AlbertK86
24-11-2012, 08:41 PM
What is your point exactly i get a bit tired of these posts criticising our own supporters at the end of the day we are all hibees and like it or not we are all guilty by association

Ma point was to the clowns who were sat behind me berating everyone of our team ... Even before we went behind...

We have gone from a team who were pitiful to a team that are fighting at the top end of the table

Lets support the team is ma point ... To the clowns behind me.

I was in the east and bar the moaners behind me the support was pretty positive

GGTTH

Stuarty27
24-11-2012, 08:44 PM
He was horrible today, passing slack offers nothing going forward and wasnt great at the back either. In the first half when he kicked the ball straight out the park after receiving it back from a throw I wondered how this guy is even a professional football player.

steakbake
24-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Agree - he didn't have a good game at all. Still think on his game, he's got something. But he wasn't good today.

On Maybury: I think he was not half as bad as some make out. at 33/34 he should be a squad player but the first choice is crocked. He's a great bit of experience to have and he deserves much more credit than most are willing to give him.

At every team Ive seen him play for, he's committed and he usually gives his all. If last year, we had 11 players on the pitch who all showed the same level of professionalism that players like Maybury offer, we'd have had a very different season.

Houchy
24-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Im saying its bizarre because i had already accepted the fact that you were only blowing of some steam in an earlier post if you had bothered to check

Ok, last one this time:agree:,

I know that youd accepted it but someone else obviously didn't read my post trying to retract my statement and had a pop so it was more directed at them, not you:agree::thumbsup:

When I saw your "bizarre" comment, I thought you were having a go:agree:

Note to self, don't go posting rash comments about hibs players in the heat of the moment:agree:

mim
24-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Legs have gone, simple as.
Brain still good but body struggling to cope and being found out because of it.

Exactly. I caught myself three or four times shouting 'Well played Maybury', but swearing under my breath another 8 or 10 times. :wink:

darwenhibby
24-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Maybury v dvz
Maybury v gatteusie
Maybury v Doherty
Maybury v Hart

He has been signed to be utility player ffs.
We've been unlucky with injuries. Give the guy a break

FromTheCapital
24-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Maybe I was a bit harsh with the 'Terrible from start to finish' part but he is not good enough.
Everytime Wotherspoon got the ball, Maybury was always 10 yards behind him and very rarely tries to push forward.
Seems a decent enough bloke but he's past it... So is Kuqi.
The sooner Clancy and McPake gets back the better.
But, I think Maybury was very poor today & you can tell he's working hard but he costs too many goals.
Overall it was a good performance but another Maybury mistake threw it away :rolleyes:

FromTheCapital
24-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Comment screams yam.
Rubbish. Read the rest of the post first... Clearly not a yam :rolleyes:

PiemanP
24-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Maybury IMO hasn't been bad, just ever mistake he seems to make results in a goal unfortunately. I would say he maybe has been quite unlucky at hibs.

I do look forward to Clancy coming back as we seemed much more solid with him in the team.

The Green Goblin
24-11-2012, 10:54 PM

Unfortunately, I can't take back my original post that was posted in anger. I also got hit by some tool in a ka (not mayburys fault, granted) which just kept going and just when I caught up with them, they were able to get away. That and our team getting robbed made me a VERY angry boy leading me to post about Maybury. My bad, but seriously, what do you want me to do???

Sorry to hear about your bad luck today. Genuine answer to your question, you can delete or edit your previous post, if you want.

Houchy
24-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck today. Genuine answer to your question, you can delete or edit your previous post, if you want.

Cheers GG. Forgot about the delete function. There have been that many folk that have "quoted" from it too though. I actually can't believe I made such a stupid comment.

The Green Goblin
24-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Cheers GG. Forgot about the delete function. There have been that many folk that have "quoted" from it too though. I actually can't believe I made such a stupid comment.

Happens to the best of us. :greengrin. I think the post appears as deleted/edited when quoted too.

ScottB
25-11-2012, 12:05 AM
I know he's just a back up, but right now he's doing what a back up has to be able to do; start while a first choice player is out injured for awhile. Any sort of pacey player will beat him all day long. Yes today he made a mistake, it can happen. Against St Mirren he was beaten a dozen times or more to the ball by their winger, leading to several scoring chances. That's far more of a problem for me.

I wonder what line up we will go to once McPake and Clancy return... Hanlon McPake McGivern Clancy perhaps given McGivern's performances at CB maybe?

steakbake
25-11-2012, 12:21 AM
I know he's just a back up, but right now he's doing what a back up has to be able to do; start while a first choice player is out injured for awhile. Any sort of pacey player will beat him all day long. Yes today he made a mistake, it can happen. Against St Mirren he was beaten a dozen times or more to the ball by their winger, leading to several scoring chances. That's far more of a problem for me.

I wonder what line up we will go to once McPake and Clancy return... Hanlon McPake McGivern Clancy perhaps given McGivern's performances at CB maybe?

Can't see Hanlon being dropped. He's one of the more frustrating players to behold.

MWHIBBIES
25-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Maybe I was a bit harsh with the 'Terrible from start to finish' part but he is not good enough.
Everytime Wotherspoon got the ball, Maybury was always 10 yards behind him and very rarely tries to push forward.
Seems a decent enough bloke but he's past it... So is Kuqi.
The sooner Clancy and McPake gets back the better.
But, I think Maybury was very poor today & you can tell he's working hard but he costs too many goals.
Overall it was a good performance but another Maybury mistake threw it away :rolleyes:You'd be on here moaning if he went forward more and that cost us goals. He doesn't have the pace to get back and Fenlon knows this, that is why he deploys him as a defender first and foremost. Clancy is a bit more attacking but that is because he younger and fitter, not because he is a better full back.

FromTheCapital
25-11-2012, 09:51 AM
You'd be on here moaning if he went forward more and that cost us goals. He doesn't have the pace to get back and Fenlon knows this, that is why he deploys him as a defender first and foremost. Clancy is a bit more attacking but that is because he younger and fitter, not because he is a better full back.
I can see what you mean but still I think that a full backs job is to push forward and try and get balls into the box and help the winger. For example, I think Stevenson was very good yesterday and he is always consistent and gives everything for the cause. Magennis and the other Aberdeen full-back were up and down that wing helping their wingers... Now I know Maybury's giving his all and I'm sure if he was younger and a bit fitter he'd be a decent enough player but in my opinion I don't think we will lose as many goals when Clancy returns to the team.

leggeto
25-11-2012, 10:00 AM
he is a back-up right back,soon as mcpake returns he will be back on the bench,no point on going on about it ,he will be feeling pretty shiiite aswell:flag:

JollyGreenGiant
25-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Totally agree! However that's the worst I've seen doyle and $aybury was pish poor and was to blame for the goal. That said I do like alan as a squad player but do feel he's made a few costly mistakes for us and more so than any other of our defenders.

Incidentally lewis has slotted in at left back and has been pass marks and as good as anyone so credit where its due imo.

This is what I was saying at the game yesterday. Maybury is a decent squad player who can slot in at left or right back, and generally he is ok, but he would only make the bench if Clancy and McPake were fit. The same could be said about Lewis.

But I was disappointed with Doyle's performance yesterday, his first touch and general hold up play was poor all day.

Think we really need to freshen the team up with a couple of new signings in Jan :pray:

FromTheCapital
25-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Just watched the goal on Goals On Sunday and it looks even worse on the TV. :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
25-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Just watched the goal on Goals On Sunday and it looks even worse on the TV. :rolleyes:

Was it 100 % Mayburys fault?

Taz_hibee
25-11-2012, 12:19 PM
IMO both Maybury & Hanlon are accidents waiting to happen in our defence

Northernhibee
25-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Going from some of the comments from before we signed him (I remember one trumpet posting "If we sign Maybury I won't be back at ER") I think he was always going to get a hard time after a bad performance.

He's not been great, but far from poor. Squad cover player who can play at LB or RB where needed which is what he's done, and was a far better cover player than the likes of Palsson in the same position.

skipster7
25-11-2012, 01:47 PM

Spot on :top marksHes not going to be an overlapping full back at this stage of his career but he was fine yesterday apart from 1 sliced clearance.Good experienced player to have around.Plenty guys had more than one mistake yesterday, including Griffiths,who tried to go alone on 2 or 3 occasions when he had good passing options inside.

FromTheCapital
25-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Was it 100 % Mayburys fault?
To be fair, they got down the wing rather easily but when the ball gets played in Maybury tries to either flick it away with the side of his foot or somehow he tries to backheel it away and misses and McGinn rolls it in.

leither17
26-11-2012, 07:21 AM
To be fair, they got down the wing rather easily but when the ball gets played in Maybury tries to either flick it away with the side of his foot or somehow he tries to backheel it away and misses and McGinn rolls it in.

Now he is in the metro blaming our poor finishing for not winning the game no Alan it was your piss poor defending that unstuck us once again this seaaon

Phil MaGlass
26-11-2012, 07:37 AM
He is our weak link week after week and cost us quite a few points so far this seazon imo.

Im with you on this one,he has been a bit of a weak link.But on saying that he has the experience to turn it around and the youngsters to learn from him. From my limited experience he will come good.
As for blaming it on poor finishing, no its not, seems we were devoid of space, movement and ideas in the last quarter of the pitch, there was a moment in the second half where Leigh had the ball on the outide of the box and there were two Hibs players standing next to each other not moving into space. Another problem with our players is they dont look up when they have the ball, basic fitba, look and pass look and pass, it was the same last year, although we have improved on last season we still lack a bit in the basics. Its too slow when it should be fast and too fast when it should be slow, but what do I know Im no manager.

Stevie Reid
26-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this point has been made already, but I really feel for Maybury as pretty much all of his errors have been punished by goals, whereas others have gotten away with it - for example, Hanlon's error on Saturday (which Maybury himself sorted out), and McPake has made errors that have led to at least two 1 on 1's with the goalkeeper that Williams has saved.

There is no denying that he has cost us points but he has performed well generally and been a bit unlucky. I still think that he has been a very worthwhile signing and even as cover still looks miles better at RB than anyone who has played there the last few years (Clancy aside).

JimBHibees
26-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this point has been made already, but I really feel for Maybury as pretty much all of his errors have been punished by goals, whereas others have gotten away with it - for example, Hanlon's error on Saturday (which Maybury himself sorted out), and McPake has made errors that have led to at least two 1 on 1's with the goalkeeper that Williams has saved.

There is no denying that he has cost us points but he has performed well generally and been a bit unlucky. I still think that he has been a very worthwhile signing and even as cover still looks miles better at RB than anyone who has played there the last few years (Clancy aside).

Spot on every word. He has been unlucky especially with the mistakes being punished. He is a decent experienced full back and played well both on Saturday and against United against difficult opponents. The amount of nonsense that is starting to get thrown is incredible, one loud mouth trumpet in FF upper for example. Defenders are taught to stay on their feet and jockey he does this very well and it is very rare he is skinned by a winger. But no the Mourinhos in the crowd want him to fly into tackles and more than likely get skinned.

I think the goldfish memories of some fans have already forgotten the Harts and Towells of this world.

Keith_M
26-11-2012, 09:37 AM
As far as I understand it, Maybury is not currently our first choice in this position. Every team needs back up players for different roles and, it stands to reason, they are going to have limitations compared to the first choice player. We are not Manchester United, so we cannot have an endless pool of talent at our disposal.

The guy is probably the best we can afford, therefore he's going to make mistakes.

matty_f
26-11-2012, 09:49 AM

:agree: Can't really argue with that. I actually think he's done fine, after watching the goal on Saturday again last night, I think Maybury was unlucky in that the ball came off him rather than him making a more deliberate contact - as has been mentioned already we could look at Cairney's pass to Griffiths which left Griffiths with a lot to do, Griffiths mis-controlling the ball thus losing possession, Aberdeen getting the break of the ball as Wotherspoon almost intercepted the pass in the Aberdeen half, then the ball into the box which Maybury was unlucky with - even then if Wotherspoon follows the runner all the way it's not certain they're scoring, and the ball pretty much fell in the one perfect spot for the sheep...

Players at SPL level make mistakes, in fact, all players make mistakes. Sometimes these mistakes cost goals - it happens.

I think the flak aimed at Maybury is way OTT, he's been fine IMHO.

LeighLoyal
26-11-2012, 10:35 AM
If he keeps giving away goals I'm going to start believing him and Fester are having clandestine meetings.

Golden Bear
26-11-2012, 10:51 AM
:agree: Can't really argue with that. I actually think he's done fine, after watching the goal on Saturday again last night, I think Maybury was unlucky in that the ball came off him rather than him making a more deliberate contact - as has been mentioned already we could look at Cairney's pass to Griffiths which left Griffiths with a lot to do, Griffiths mis-controlling the ball thus losing possession, Aberdeen getting the break of the ball as Wotherspoon almost intercepted the pass in the Aberdeen half, then the ball into the box which Maybury was unlucky with - even then if Wotherspoon follows the runner all the way it's not certain they're scoring, and the ball pretty much fell in the one perfect spot for the sheep...

Players at SPL level make mistakes, in fact, all players make mistakes. Sometimes these mistakes cost goals - it happens.

I think the flak aimed at Maybury is way OTT, he's been fine IMHO.

I totally agree.

Unfortunately it's always been the case that whilst some Players can seemingly get off with murder in the fans eyes, others are lambasted for even the slightest of misjudgments.

Pedantic_Hibee
26-11-2012, 11:08 AM
I think we should just get off his, and every other player's back. There's nae need, especially with the progress we've made this season.

LancashireHibby
26-11-2012, 11:15 AM

Completely agree. Unfortunately there seems to be a certain minority who are all too happy to give him stick at the first opportunity.

Golden Bear
26-11-2012, 11:27 AM
I think we should just get off his, and every other player's back. There's nae need, especially with the progress we've made this season.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Let's end the negativity ---------------------- at least for this week!

:flag: