PDA

View Full Version : NHC Riordan Fined £800

DaveF
23-11-2012, 12:49 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-20461818

scott7_0(Prague)
23-11-2012, 12:53 PM

And why a picture of him in a Hibs Shirt he has had 3 other clubs since he last played for Hibs in 2010.

JimBHibees
23-11-2012, 12:55 PM
And why a picture of him in a Hibs Shirt he has had 3 other clubs since he last played for Hibs in 2010.

Unwritten rule of press if a bad news story about him 'Hibs star', if good news story 'Celtc star'. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
23-11-2012, 12:59 PM

Cracking journalism there, he is fined for "homophobic abuse", yet omit to state what was actually said!

DaveF
23-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Cracking journalism there, he is fined for "homophobic abuse", yet omit to state what was actually said!

True, but would it really make any difference if they had? He's admitted the charge and apologised (via his lawyer) for the offence.

Golden Bear
23-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Unwritten rule of press if a bad news story about him 'Hibs star', if good news story 'Celtc star'. :greengrin

:agree:

It's now enshrined in the BBC Scotland charter that all references to Hibernian must have a derogatory slant placed on the story.

LeighLoyal
23-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Total joke fine. So what he called some troglodyte doorman gay, big effin deal.

givescotlandfreedom
23-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Aint that something. Yesterday, Ian Murray, upon getting the manager's job at Dumbarton was an 'ex Ger'. Today, Riordan gets fined £800 for a homophobic remark and is an 'ex Hibee' 8913

IWasThere2016
23-11-2012, 01:34 PM
I hope the big doorman didn't cry or get upset, and I hope the fine is paid straight to the wee soul to make him all better :agree:

lord bunberry
23-11-2012, 01:38 PM
I wonder if someone other than riordan had made those comments would they have been arrested and fined i think not

Hibbyradge
23-11-2012, 01:42 PM

He was charged, and he admitted, breach of the peace.

I'm surprised with your usual outlook on law and order, you think people should be allowed to shout any sort of abuse in city centre streets, never mind homophobic abuse, which is in itself, a separate crime.

lyonhibs
23-11-2012, 01:46 PM
What an eejit. Great player, seems to have acted like a bit of a tool on this occasion.

No surprise that BBC seemingly don't have a picture of him playing for St Johnstone, that team in China or indeed Bristol Rovers :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
23-11-2012, 01:48 PM
If Derek pleaded guilty then I can't see the problem really. You can't go around shouting homophobic abuse at anyone whether they be bouncers or Doctors.

Yes It's a bit annoying that Hibs are mentioned in the article but anyone who's remotely interested in the story will probably know he's moved on.

Hopefully for Dereks sake he can put this behind him and get on with his football. I'm sure he's still got plenty to offer Bristol Rivers.

steakbake
23-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Number of times we've said: if he could put this behind him, he'll have plenty to offer...

Albanian Hibs
23-11-2012, 02:10 PM
I wonder if someone other than riordan had made those comments would they have been arrested and fined i think not

Well I called a policeman gay at tynie and I got chucked out. Done me a favour cause we got humped.

Gatecrasher
23-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Number of times we've said: if he could put this behind him, he'll have plenty to offer...
Was thinking the same when i read Pretty Boy's post.

cabbageandribs1875
23-11-2012, 02:26 PM

certainly not as heavy a fine as that, infact...probably just given a warning and told to move on

Phil D. Rolls
23-11-2012, 03:26 PM
True, but would it really make any difference if they had? He's admitted the charge and apologised (via his lawyer) for the offence.

It might send out a message to other people about what is acceptable language, maybe preventing them from making the same mistake as him. Otherwise, why use the word "homophobia" at all?

The article doesn't really help anybody, and has me wondering what the angle for the story was, other than "Derek Riordan" is prone to getting into bother with doormen.

It makes you wonder what the purpose in reporting news is at all. Other breaking news might be that the Pope is having fish for tea today.

Were you there then?:greengrin

If Derek pleaded guilty then I can't see the problem really. You can't go around shouting homophobic abuse at anyone whether they be bouncers or Doctors.

Yes It's a bit annoying that Hibs are mentioned in the article but anyone who's remotely interested in the story will probably know he's moved on.

Hopefully for Dereks sake he can put this behind him and get on with his football. I'm sure he's still got plenty to offer Bristol Rivers.

It is a point though.Are those sensitive souls that are called doormen really affronted by such language, or have the cops thrown it in as a bit of ballast to make the charges more serious?

Kind of why we need to know what was said. Point taken though - if the police were really bothered about homophobia, Gayfield Sqaure would be packed on a Saturday night. I imagine that there is plenty on display around CCs and GHQ.

Who is being protected here?

Pretty Boy
23-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Were you there then?:greengrin

It is a point though.Are those sensitive souls that are called doormen really affronted by such language, or have the cops thrown it in as a bit of ballast to make the charges more serious?

Maybe an easy collar to help meet arrest targets?

Also someone who's locally quite high profile so possibly a chance to send out a message, whatever that might be.

Phil D. Rolls
23-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Maybe an easy collar to help meet arrest targets?

Also someone who's locally quite high profile so possibly a chance to send out a message, whatever that might be.

:agree: Thanks to the BBC's high journalistic standards, we are no further forward.

It just has you wondering what the media's agenda is sometimes, and how concerned people are about respect and dignity. There's a thread on the Holy Ground, where Jimmy Saville is pictured with Peter Sutcliffe and Frank Bruno in an article. You have to wonder why Frank is in the picture (and at a stretch Sutcliffe) other than to say - "look Saville really was horrendous, he hung around with the mad and the "bad".

Yet these same newspapers will report, sometimes in the same edition, at their horror about how the mentally ill are treated. At the end of the day it is for the public to develop informed values, and be consistent with them.

I used to love Riordan as a player, as a person - he is a product of his environemnt. I don't really care what he gets up to these days, as to me he is noadifferent to many of the other nyaffs with a chip on their shoulder that head up the town on a Saturday, er.........this thread's hanging for the Holy Ground isn't it.........I used to love it when he scored against Hearts (aye that's it)..partnership with O'Connor, er, wasted talemt.....

Keith_M
23-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Genuine question(s) so please don't make any presumptions about my reasons for asking.

If the person you are allegedly abusing is not actually Homosexual (nothing to say either bouncer was) is it possible to Homophobically abuse them? If the guy was not Gay and Riordan implied he was, then allegedging it is an insult is surely in itself Homophobic?

or am I just doing my usual and being a bit thick... :dunno:

Phil D. Rolls
23-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Genuine question(s) so please don't make any presumptions about my reasons for asking.

If the person you are allegedly abusing is not actually Homosexual (nothing to say either bouncer was) is it possible to Homophobically abuse them? If the guy was not Gay and Riordan implied he was, then allegedging it is an insult is surely in itself Homophobic?

or am I just doing my usual and being a bit thick... :dunno:

I think it centres on the assumption that calling someone gay as an insult is derogatory to all gay people. I guess that asks the question, are people being forced to change the way they think.

Phil MaGlass
23-11-2012, 04:02 PM
I thought all doormen were poofs? no:greengrin

silverhibee
23-11-2012, 04:03 PM
I think it centres on the assumption that calling someone gay as an insult is derogatory to all gay people. I guess that asks the question, are people being forced to change the way they think.

So lots of arrests in the away end during the cup game, when they start singing"oh the Hibees are gay" sure L&Bs finest will act straight away in making numerous arrests for homophobic chanting. :dunno:

ancient hibee
23-11-2012, 04:08 PM
An old man asks--

if you call someone gay why is that treated as being insulting-should it not be a compliment?

Phil D. Rolls
23-11-2012, 04:09 PM
So lots of arrests in the away end during the cup game, when they start singing"oh the Hibees are gay" sure L&Bs finest will act straight away in making numerous arrests for homophobic chanting. :dunno:

Goes back to an earlier post I made. How many arrests do they make for homophobic remarks around about the Playhouse on a Saturday night?

silverhibee
23-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Goes back to an earlier post I made. How many arrests do they make for homophobic remarks around about the Playhouse on a Saturday night?

:agree: Zero is probably the answer to that.

Once i thought what might be getting said up there on a Saturday night i did have a good laugh to myself. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
23-11-2012, 04:25 PM
:agree: Zero is probably the answer to that.

Once i thought what might be getting said up there on a Saturday night i did have a good laugh to myself. :greengrin

I'm sure it goes further than "hey gayboy, heard any good show tunes lately". :greengrin

silverhibee
23-11-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm sure it goes further than "hey gayboy, heard any good show tunes lately". :greengrin

:greengrin

Its a family board so i won't even mention what i thought would get said up there, right up there on a Saturday night. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
23-11-2012, 04:45 PM
:greengrin

Its a family board so i won't even mention what i thought would get said up there, right up there on a Saturday night. :greengrin

Well, they are your thoughts and you are entitle to what you think - or are you? Is it still legal to have thoughts at all?

silverhibee
23-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Well, they are your thoughts and you are entitle to what you think - or are you? Is it still legal to have thoughts at all?

As long as you keep them to your self, then yes. just don't let anyone know what your thoughts are though.

FranckSuzy
23-11-2012, 05:22 PM
As long as you keep them to your self, then yes. just don't let anyone know what your thoughts are though.

:agree: or The Thought Police will get you :greengrin

silverhibee
23-11-2012, 05:42 PM
I thought all doormen were poofs? no:greengrin

Try calling this head doorman a poof. :wink: :greengrin

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/club-bouncer-jailed-after-standing-on-teen-s-neck-in-the-street-1-2607308

Phil D. Rolls
23-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Try calling this head doorman a poof. :wink: :greengrin

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/club-bouncer-jailed-after-standing-on-teen-s-neck-in-the-street-1-2607308

It emerged during the hearing that MacDougall’s dad was a former chief superintendent with Strathclyde Police while his QC also handed a reference from a US special forces officer in support of the thug. :faf:

Also called as character witnesses were Ronnie and Reggie Kray, Eugene Terreblanch and the entire membership of the KKK.

silverhibee
23-11-2012, 06:49 PM
*GAYSTARNEWS :faf:

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/scottish-footballed-fined-%C2%A3800-calling-bouncers-poofs231112

:cb

iwasthere1972
23-11-2012, 06:53 PM
*GAYSTARNEWS :faf:

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/scottish-footballed-fined-%C2%A3800-calling-bouncers-poofs231112

:cb

Had to be extra careful not to click the mouse anywhere on that page. You just never know what you're likely to see. Had to clear my browser history as well.

silverhibee
23-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Had to be extra careful not to click the mouse anywhere on that page. You just never know what you're likely to see. Had to clear my browser history as well.

:thumbsup:

yeezus.
23-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Really wish he would just wisen up.

erskine-hibby
23-11-2012, 07:08 PM
So you cant call anyone a big poof now??
PC gone mad:rolleyes:

Hibernia Na Eir
23-11-2012, 07:52 PM
the Hearts "Bouncerhood" will be happy tonight.

patch1875
23-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Ha ha what a fud how old is he 12? Calling someone a poof.;-)

silverhibee
23-11-2012, 08:05 PM

:kettle: :wink: :bye:

Scouse Hibee
23-11-2012, 08:07 PM

Did you see what you done there :faf:

Jonnyboy
23-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I understand the doorman in question was extremely upset and only calmed down after the club manager allowed him to plump up the cushions in the VIP suite :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
23-11-2012, 09:07 PM

Ha ha ha! :flying:

patch1875
24-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Did you see what you done there :faf:

Hence the ;-)