PDA

View Full Version : FM Player lands top job in Azerbaijan

SteveHFC
21-11-2012, 11:52 PM
A Football Manager fan has landed a managerial job in the Azerbaijan Premier League.

A 21-year-old Swedish-based student has taken over the reins at Azerbaijani Premier League club FK Baku based on his success in Football Manager.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a439878/football-manager-player-lands-managerial-job-in-azerbaijan.html#ixzz2Cu84ggRr

stevenhibs
22-11-2012, 12:01 AM
In a world where nothing should really surprise me anymore... This has.

Pretty Boy
22-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Was there not a case in England a few years ago similar. I could completely be making this up but sure a guy got invited for interview at a Championship club after submitting his CV of FM acheivements.

Manxhibs
22-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Was there not a case in England a few years ago similar. I could completely be making this up but sure a guy got invited for interview at a Championship club after submitting his CV of FM acheivements.

I think it was the Middlesbrough job, he didn't get an interview but received a letter thanking him for his interest.

GGTTH07
22-11-2012, 12:17 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/When-a-Football-Manager-player-applied-for-the-M?urn=sow-325075

Sir David Gray
22-11-2012, 12:45 AM
If that story is genuine then that is truly astonishing.

It's a bit like the British Army putting me in charge of military proceedings in Afghanistan because of my achievements on Call of Duty! :crazy:

Dinkydoo
22-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Doesn't surprise me all that much to be honest. It's different from say, being signed by a club as a player for your achievements on Fifa or the aforementioned COD comparison.

In management sims like FM the player does use a lot of skills that can be applied into a real life scenario with minor tweaking, and if the person already has negotiation skills and a knowledge of the preparation and training that professional footballers undertake, then being successful in obtaining an assistants position isn't too unimaginable IMO.

Leishy1995
22-11-2012, 08:51 AM
I done the same when Hughes was sacked and the reply was that I "Didn't have the required experience for the job, but was enthusiastic and entertaining"

Kaff
22-11-2012, 09:11 AM
I done the same when Hughes was sacked and the reply was that I "Didn't have the required experience for the job, but was enthusiastic and entertaining"

So you were more qualified than Calderwood:aok:

VickMackie
22-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Looks like an advert for FM with all parties probably involved!

Leishy1995
22-11-2012, 09:41 AM
So you were more qualified than Calderwood:aok:

And for some strange reason they still decided against me.

Skanko79
22-11-2012, 09:53 AM
i really dont know why folk are so surprised by this, the game is used by some of the worlds top managers as a scouting tool and having been playing the game personally since it was released many years ago on the amiga a1200 i can easily say it has given me a rather healthy knowledge of our game and in various countrys on the continent. A passion for football backed up with knowledge given to you by playing this game i think it was just a matter of time before a club took a chance like this. These clubs (Hibs included) take on numerous young players, about 95% of which wont "make it" in todays game. why not take a chance on someone like this who has a knowledge of the game, give them a job working with a youth team and see how it goes. some of todays finest managers had no real previous in the game playing wise, mourinho being the most notible.

i think its a good thing, and i also think other clubs should be taking note.

LancashireHibby
22-11-2012, 09:54 AM
That reply from Middlesbrough never fails to raise a smile.

pontius pilate
22-11-2012, 11:19 AM
If that story is genuine then that is truly astonishing.

It's a bit like the British Army putting me in charge of military proceedings in Afghanistan because of my achievements on Call of Duty! :crazy:

Looking at the state of the powers that be in HM Forces I'm positive you would do a better job

itchy07
22-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Looks like an advert for FM with all parties probably involved!

Am I right in thinking there is a new one just out? Sure the adverts have been on the radio recently?

zlatan
22-11-2012, 11:23 AM
pfft, bet he never made Hibs the richest club in the world in FM 11 and 12. Guy's at it.

iwasthere1972
22-11-2012, 11:40 AM
A Football Manager fan has landed a managerial job in the Azerbaijan Premier League.

A 21-year-old Swedish-based student has taken over the reins at Azerbaijani Premier League club FK Baku based on his success in Football Manager.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a439878/football-manager-player-lands-managerial-job-in-azerbaijan.html#ixzz2Cu84ggRr

If ever there was a chance for the Jambos to get that £6 million for Driver then this is it.

Devilstorment
22-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Well when Pat is away I will be getting my CV in for the Hibs Job. I won the old UEFA cup in my first season with Hibs back in the day. Also won the European Championship with Scotland! (Hutton scored the winner against England from about 45 yards!)

VickMackie
22-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Am I right in thinking there is a new one just out? Sure the adverts have been on the radio recently?

The ad is at the bottom of the article.

ScottB
22-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Last version I had was the first one they brought out for the iPhone, where I led Hibs to something like 10 straight SPL titles and almost as many Champions Leagues before winning the World, European and Confederation Cups for Scotland (When Levein finally got the boot in something like 2017, true to form he never picked any of my almost entirely Scottish team, despite their success!).

I'll be waiting beside my phone should any clubs want me...

Hibeesmad
22-11-2012, 11:45 PM
I was Chelsea manager and won the champions league along with the fa cup, unfortunately after losing one game in the premiership the following season after 3 months I got sacked :/

.Sean.
22-11-2012, 11:56 PM
How come the game is so 'accurate'?

Skanko79
23-11-2012, 07:54 AM
How come the game is so 'accurate'?

they recruit fans of almost every club they have to give non biased and pretty much spot on reports of every player at the club.

Ritchie
23-11-2012, 09:55 AM
http://www.fcbaku.com/content.php?lang=en&page=13

He doesnt look like your typical football manager! :greengrin

Beefster
23-11-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm betting that this is a PR stunt to promote FM 2013 (and Sports Interactive). It's worked.

Hibbyradge
23-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Did you know that there is no equivalent to the word "gullible" in the Azerbaijani dictionary?

frazeHFC
23-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Haha that is class, hopefully Hibs now take my application more serious next time! :greengrin

lyonhibs
23-11-2012, 02:14 PM
I remain massively dubious whether this is actually real or not, but we've had a couple of posters saying that there not too surprised that this has happened due to the similarities between sitting at your computer playing a game and managing an actual football club.

Are you for real?? :confused:

Skanko79
23-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I remain massively dubious whether this is actually real or not, but we've had a couple of posters saying that there not too surprised that this has happened due to the similarities between sitting at your computer playing a game and managing an actual football club.

Are you for real?? :confused:

reading the past posts i dont think anyone has stated that to be honest.

from a personal point of view i can honestly say that playing the game can and will enhance your knowledge of the game.

as said as well the games that accurate its used as a scouting tool by many clubs and many of the worlds best managers.

Liam_Hibs
23-11-2012, 02:49 PM
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

This was meant to contain a quote to the post above. Phones mince.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Ritchie
23-11-2012, 03:03 PM
i once won the Uefa cup, the SPL and the Scottish Cup with Hibs in one season on Football Manager........ seems legit! :agree:

Skanko79
23-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

This was meant to contain a quote to the post above. Phones mince.

yes im being serious, and anyone that plays the game will surely agree.

VickMackie
23-11-2012, 06:31 PM
I took Boston Utd to champions league winners in 00/01 with over a billion in the bank and multiple premier league titles and other honours!

Liam_Hibs
23-11-2012, 06:52 PM
yes im being serious, and anyone that plays the game will surely agree.

I play the game too.

I once went Everton. Won the Premier League in my first season with the original team. Won both the Premier and Champions League in the second season without changing the team at all.

I'm going to apply for the next big real life job that comes up, because all that effort I put into sliding the slider along to change my training schedules is very realistic. Steven Naismith signing for Real Madrid is bound to happen soon too. :greengrin

Skanko79
24-11-2012, 08:05 AM
I play the game too.

I once went Everton. Won the Premier League in my first season with the original team. Won both the Premier and Champions League in the second season without changing the team at all.

I'm going to apply for the next big real life job that comes up, because all that effort I put into sliding the slider along to change my training schedules is very realistic. Steven Naismith signing for Real Madrid is bound to happen soon too. :greengrin

and would you say that because of playing the game you have gained a wee bit knowledge? for example where teams play, how they play and who plays for them?

thats the point im making, im not saying that playing the game and having success in it will make you the next mancini. far from it.