PDA

View Full Version : The Concise Compendium Of 'Hibs Class' Definitions 1st Edition

Speedway
21-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Hibs Class is an outlook, attitude, behaviour or set of aspirational behaviours to embody all you'd want representing a club of stature and influence.

However many of us see Hibs Class as something that things are or are not. An intangible badge of honour.

Here we will see the increasing globalizational ownership of the term with it's broad interpretation and liberal application.

Each entry must begin with the words 'Hibs Class is...followed by the definition or example.

e.g. Hibs Class is the footballing equivalent to watching a golden sunset on an endless beach in the cool calfornian air whilst accompanied by lucious blonde lifeguard, a copy of the wee red book and a box of Tunnock's teacakes.

or

Hibs Class is...getting beat in a five a side match by a Hearts supporting team and ending the game by wishing them well and congratulating them on their deserved victory safe in the knowledge that you've deep heated their underwear in the changing rooms.

What is Hibs Class to you?

Bostonhibby
21-11-2012, 12:28 PM
New Years Day 1973, we need to win by 7 to go top, the team that day knew and were Hibs class..........

Phil D. Rolls
21-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Hibs class is the ability to see the poetry in any situation. For example, after a heavy defeat, stating that "the rocks will melt in the sun, before I watch that team again".

Twa Cairpets
21-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Hibs class is the ability to see the poetry in any situation. For example, after a heavy defeat, stating that "the rocks will melt in the sun, before I watch that team again".

Indeed. But the sands of time still run...

Thinking on Poetry, and Hibs Class, does anyone else think if you swap the name "Romanov" for "Ozymandias" in the poem by Percy Bysshe Shelley, and visualise the until recently touted statue of His Royal Vladness post Yamapocalypse?

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away".

jacomo
21-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Hibs class ≠ Hearts

euansdad
21-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Hibs class is resisting the temptation to spend money you haven't got, live within your means and pay your taxes!

RoscoHibby
21-11-2012, 02:16 PM
The young lad at the final I've never seen in my life, wearing a bespoke sauzee top obviously spent time and effort on, sees me looking at it as I'm walking past and just nods and says "all the best my Hibby brother " thats Hibs Class.

Russell Latapy showing amazing skill, composure, class and technique to batter in No.6 against the yaks. That is Hibs class.

Speedway
21-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Hibs Class is the way in which our club began, as a mutual improvement society designed to encourage those of modest means to develop skills, have recreational opportunities and better themselves.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-11-2012, 02:38 PM
The Supporters' display at /that/ Cup Final.

Scarf twirling? Well leave that to the yams

scunnyhibs
21-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Hibs class is quoting Shelley on a fans' forum!

Hibs class is what I saw when I moved here and what made me choose to follow the green side. My hibs supporting friends were friendlier, more interesting, cultured, witty, better looking, better dressed, more respectful and articulate. In comparison the jambos I'd met struggled to put a sentence of more than 4 words together and still make any sense. Dammit the hibees were just cooler!

da-robster
21-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Hibs Class is boycotting the MK Dons vs AFC Wimbledon game despite having already spent a ton of money on not charting a 100 seater.

Devilstorment
21-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Hibs class is walking away from the disastrous season of 2011/2012 and rebuilding to have great 2012/2013 season

.... and win the scottish cup!

hibbydog
21-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Hibs class is Franck Sauzee strutting about the midfield with a cigar, dictating play. Not running about like a daftie because he knows he doesnt have to......:not worth

snooky
21-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Hibs class is Pat Stanton - no more, no less.

davidw
21-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Hibs class is... coming back from (another) losing cup semi final (reply v Dunfermline) to be told "there's always next year" - and not beating my wife.

Hibs class is... coming back from 6-6 game at Fir Park (after being 6-2 up with half an hour to go) to be told "well, must have been a good game" - and not beating my wife.

Hibs class is... coming back from Hampden in May to be told (wait for it...) "well at least you scored a goal" - and not beating my wife.

In a nutshell, Hibs class is just not beating my wife.

Hibbyradge
21-11-2012, 08:20 PM
New Years Day 1973, we need to win by 7 to go top, the team that day knew and were Hibs class..........

We needed to win by 6.

Peevemor
21-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Hibs class is the club quietly acknowledging it's roots without the need for the plastic-paddyfest that goes on along the M8.

euansdad
21-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Hibs class is walking away from the disastrous season of 2011/2012 and rebuilding to have great 2012/2013 season

.... and win the scottish cup!

Get through against the jumbos and there is a chance there

FranckSuzy
21-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Hibs class is hundreds, if not thousands of fans flying half way around the world for a 90 minute football game in May. Hibs class is Hibs hearing of a young mans passing and RP attending his funeral (and his mates organising a display out of respect for him, whilst singing a song he suggested and a moving message being displayed on the scoreboard). Hibs class is Ivan Sproule being asked to sign a young fans autograph book, hearing he'd recently lost his father, and then asking to meet him and inviting him to be his guest at the next home game. Hibs class is STF answering a plea from Oz Hibs guys to help fund a broadcast by Setanta of a Hibs game. Hibs class is renting out the south stand, free of charge, to local businesses and charities. Hibs class is the first team attending the funeral of many a stalwart Hibs fan. Hibs class is helping young, foreign players to settle in the UK and assist with their families visa issues. Hibs class is supporting players/managers who have, rightly or wrongly, found themselves on the wrong side of the authorities/law. Hibs class is paying the bills.

Soldiersteve
21-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Hibs class is losing the away leg of a European tie to Naples 4-1 and still qualify for the next round by putting 5 past one of the finest goalkeepers ever to play for Italy in the return leg.

Soldiersteve
21-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Hibs class is putting up with noisy neighbours,

Speedway
22-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Hibs Class is the owner hearing of a 15 year old boy who can't get to many games due to distance and inviting him to be his guest. Then the boy gets chicken pox and can't make it and owner sends personal letter and Hibs calender signed by entire squad.

southsider
22-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Hibs were on tour in the states in the mid seventies and flew into NYC. A bus picked the sqaud up and took them to a hotel which an agent had booked and it was a dump. The then chairman, the late, great Tom Hart instructed the driver "take us to the best hotel in Manhatten with the quote as the driver looked on "This, son is THE Hibernian Football Club." Hibs class indeed.

Phil D. Rolls
22-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Hibs class means loving the game for what it is. This means revering the exploits of players who play for teams other than Hibs. An example might be having great respect for a lesser known player scoring two goals in a game that had no impact on Hibs fortunes. The greatest respect is given to journeyman pros. coming off the sub bench to change the course of a game.

Hibs class means considering the feelings of managers suffering heavy defeats in derbies or cup finals, for example "cheer up Jimmy Jeffries".

lyonhibs
23-11-2012, 08:18 AM
This is Hibs class:

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/index.php/hibernian-legends