PDA

View Full Version : Di Matteo Out, Benitez In (Merged)

Billy Whizz
21-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Sacked just 6 months after winning the Champions League

euansdad
21-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Prime reason why I hate clubs like Chelsea and City. Hope it comes back to haunt them

LancsHibs
21-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Hands off our Pat:take that

scott7_0(Prague)
21-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Rafa Benitez :agree:

euansdad
21-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Reports stating that they are trying to convince guardiola to take the post

GreenPJ
21-11-2012, 08:13 AM
I hope not but I could see them already having spoken with Pep.

LancsHibs
21-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Rafa Benitez :agree:

They will go for that bloke who was Barcelona manager

ScottB
21-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Note earlier this morning Real reckon Mourinho wants to leave...

iwasthere1972
21-11-2012, 08:22 AM
There's no loyality in football nowadays.

You can bet that someone (Pepe or Rafa) will be in the Chelsea hotseat within the next 48 hours unless they're going to ask John Terry to be caretaker manager as he's finished as a footballer.

lord bunberry
21-11-2012, 08:26 AM
I can't say im surprised its the way things are these days. Have chelsea went through a whole season with the same manager since jm left

Pretty Boy
21-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Winning the Champions League pretty much forced Chelsea to give him the job when really Abramovich didnt want to.

Results business these days though and what was acheived 6 months ago counts for nothing today at top clubs.

hibsbollah
21-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Who do they think they are, Real Madrid? :hilarious

Ridiculous decision. Didier Descamps could be a dark horse...

JimBHibees
21-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Winning the Champions League pretty much forced Chelsea to give him the job when really Abramovich didnt want to.

Results business these days though and what was acheived 6 months ago counts for nothing today at top clubs.

Yep Di Matteo had said that they had a quick chat after winning the Champs league which was the first time they had spoken for months. What a joke?

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Disgraceful decision, just what is it they want?, no club has the right to win every game and every team has a form dip regardless of who they are.

The usual Abramovitch knee jerk reaction, anyone taking this job on needs their head examined.

bathhibby
21-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Contrast this action and its speed with the SFA and Harry Potter !!!

Matty_Jack04
21-11-2012, 08:34 AM
I think it will be old arry redknapp till end of the season whilst they persuade pep, going by the way pep was at barca I believe Chelsea is the wrong fit for him and there's no way he'll get the time to change the club to how he wants it

iwasthere1972
21-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Yogi will be gutted that he took that job at Hartlepool. If only he had hung on a week.

sh00byd00
21-11-2012, 08:58 AM
i think the owners were left with little choice but to give him the job after his CL exploits and because of this, he was gonna be sacked at the first opportunity. That said, English clubs like Chelsea rely heavily on CL income, so while the likes of Celtic are somewhat happy if they get punted into UEFA cup, clubs such as Man U and Chelsea get a heavy financial hit.

iwasthere1972
21-11-2012, 09:10 AM
John Terry 20/1 to be next Chelsea manager. :hilarious

HH81
21-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Prime reason why I hate clubs like Chelsea and City. Hope it comes back to haunt them

Its going to happen at Man u when Fergie goes :agree:

Kato
21-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Yogi will be gutted that he took that job at Hartlepool. If only he had hung on a week.

Yup, he's made a real monkey of himself there.

TornadoHibby
21-11-2012, 10:35 AM
I think it will be old arry redknapp till end of the season whilst they persuade pep, going by the way pep was at barca I believe Chelsea is the wrong fit for him and there's no way he'll get the time to change the club to how he wants it

That's what I was just thinking myself although Guardiola may find the cash lure too big to turn down even if he didn't bring immediate trophy winning and fabulous on the field football capable of beating every team they ever play! :wink:

Even if he was unsuccessful in the chase for Abramovich's "Holy Grail", whatever that might be, he'd still walk away with £ millions and be undamaged as a football manager (reputation wise) not to be able to walk straight into another top managerial position! :agree:

lapsedhibee
21-11-2012, 10:42 AM
That's what I was just thinking myself although Guardiola may find the cash lure too big to turn down even if he didn't bring immediate trophy winning and fabulous on the field football capable of beating every team they ever play! :wink:

Even if he was unsuccessful in the chase for Abramovich's "Holy Grail", whatever that might be, he'd still walk away with £ millions and be undamaged as a football manager (reputation wise) not to be able to walk straight into another top managerial position! :agree:

Hasn't Abramovich already got his holy grail, the CL trophy? Expect increasingly erratic behaviour from him now that he hasn't got a proper target to aim for. Increasingly whimsical sackings, irritability, eventual disenchantment, up sticks. Similar path to Mad Vlad McMad.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-11-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm sure he has been handsomely rewarded financially, not worth us losing any sleep over, he'll be QPR manager soon.

Bostonhibby
21-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Always liked the guy - was always going to happen whenever he lost a couple - big problem for him was he couldn't get Abramovich's prize pony Torres to perform, modern day Chelski are a vile club - not Hibs class :greengrin

matty_f
21-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Who do they think they are, Real Madrid? :hilarious

Ridiculous decision. Didier Descamps could be a dark horse...

He's a bit short for that, I would say with almost 100% certainty that he's an actual person. :agree:

sbell1875
21-11-2012, 12:31 PM
9 managers in 9 years despite 3 Premier League Titles, 1 Champions League Title, countless FA Cup's and League Cup wins.

I absolutely loathe Chelsea FC. They are, in my opinion, not even a big club. They have a very wealthy and deluded owner willing to chuck buckets of money at the club and to me that is it.

SteveHFC
21-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Joke of a decision. Joke of a Club.

Hibernia Na Eir
21-11-2012, 12:35 PM
he can go back to his day job in Thunderbirds now.....Parker esq

lucky
21-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Poor decision but in line with how Chelsea treat managers

Sudds_1
21-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Disgraceful decision, just what is it they want?, no club has the right to win every game and every team has a form dip regardless of who they are.

The usual Abramovitch knee jerk reaction, anyone taking this job on needs their head examined.

Think so? I'd call it a fairly safe Pension fund option. :greengrin

hibsmad
21-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Abramovich can point at the trophies and claim that his hiring and firing methods work. Think back to last season when they sacked AVB. There were plenty people claiming that he needed more time to properly implement his strategies but Abramovich emptied him. A few months later they had the Champions League and FA Cup in the trophy cabinet.

Any manager taking that job knows what they are letting themselves in for and even if things don't go well for them, they will have a small fortune deposited into their bank accounts.

yeezus.
21-11-2012, 03:23 PM
I had Chelsea down to win the league - after the FA Cup and Champions League wins last season I thought they would go on and challenge City for the title this season.

essexhibee
21-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Left in the lurch all summer and then this :rolleyes:. Despicable way to treat a man that won the one thing Abramovich had always wanted. They aren't even out of the Champs league yet and are still in the title race. :rolleyes:

Chelsea are a joke of a club. Horrible excuse of human for a captain, racist allegations against a referee and now this.

Beefster
21-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Left in the lurch all summer and then this :rolleyes:. Despicable way to treat a man that won the one thing Abramovich had always wanted. They aren't even out of the Champs league yet and are still in the title race. :rolleyes:

Chelsea are a joke of a club. Horrible excuse of human for a captain, racist allegations against a referee and now this.

If someone wants to give me a two-year, multi-million pound contract, I'm up for being treated despicably.

Pete
21-11-2012, 03:43 PM

What's this got do with city? They've been quite loyal to mancini and backed him.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-11-2012, 03:47 PM
If someone wants to give me a two-year, multi-million pound contract, I'm up for being treated despicably.

Me too!

carnoustiehibee
21-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Benitez new manager then.

Might get the best outa Torres

Haymaker
21-11-2012, 05:50 PM
What's this got do with city? They've been quite loyal to mancini and backed him.

:agree: People can say what they like about Man City but they cant say they havent been loyal to Mancini, especially when it looked like the title was blown last season.

MWHIBBIES
21-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Benitez appointed, he just happened to be in the club shop when he got the call :greengrin

Hibeesmad
21-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Rafa Benitez until the end of the season. Confirmed on sky sports news now! Wow.

iwasthere1972
21-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Rafa Benitez until the end of the season. Confirmed on sky sports news now! Wow.

:giruy: Put my last £200 on John Terry at 20/1 as well.

Gutted.

Hibbyradge
21-11-2012, 06:46 PM
:giruy: Put my last £200 on John Terry at 20/1 as well.

Gutted.

Nice one!

Piqué
21-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Abramovich clearly trying to find someone who knows how to get Torres to score! Seriously though, he should be able to get them a bit more organised at the back.

hibsbollah
21-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Strange appointment for a club that supposedly wants to play a creative, attacking style:confused: Benitezs teams are usually dull to watch. Was hardly a massive success at Inter either.

Hope he falls on his culo :thumbsup:

euansdad
21-11-2012, 07:32 PM
9 managers in 9 years despite 3 Premier League Titles, 1 Champions League Title, countless FA Cup's and League Cup wins.

I absolutely loathe Chelsea FC. They are, in my opinion, not even a big club. They have a very wealthy and deluded owner willing to chuck buckets of money at the club and to me that is it.

Them and man city are the same. Fair sized clubs but not traditionally big clubs by any stretch

euansdad
21-11-2012, 07:35 PM

Because they are of the same ilk in being middling clubs suddenly winning silverware cos of a tycoon. Fairly simple I would of thought. Make no mistake to, if man city go out the champs league and don't look like retaining the EPL, he will be gone

Iggy Pope
21-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Them and man city are the same. Fair sized clubs but not traditionally big clubs by any stretch

They are a big club and you don't have to stretch too far. Champions League participants constantly, semi-finalists, finalists, winners.

Don't care for Chelsea much myself, but what is a big club if it's not them?

Huddersfield Town and Preston North End?

euansdad
21-11-2012, 08:48 PM
They are a big club and you don't have to stretch too far. Champions League participants constantly, semi-finalists, finalists, winners.

Don't care for Chelsea much myself, but what is a big club if it's not them?

Huddersfield Town and Preston North End?

Historically, they ain't. Pre- abramowotsit, only one league title back in 1955. So while its a matter of opinion, and yor entitled to think differently, I don't see them as a big club at all. Big clubs are your man uniteds, liverpools and arsenal. No way IMO are Chelsea as big as them

Pete
21-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Historically, they ain't. Pre- abramowotsit, only one league title back in 1955. So while its a matter of opinion, and yor entitled to think differently, I don't see them as a big club at all. Big clubs are your man uniteds, liverpools and arsenal. No way IMO are Chelsea as big as them

Look at their squad. They're big.

It doesn't matter if the money comes from a sheik or millions of asian glory hunters...its still money and it talks.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2012, 08:53 PM

I cant see what point you are trying to make, what difference does it make what size a club is? How do clubs grow, or do they always stay the same size? :confused:

euansdad
21-11-2012, 08:59 PM
The point is I don't see them as a big club. Don't think try can be bracketed with the above and they haven't grown as such into a successful club, a tycoon purchased it for them

euansdad
21-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Look at their squad. They're big.

It doesn't matter if the money comes from a sheik or millions of asian glory hunters...its still money and it talks.

Yip and I don't think it's good for the game when trophies and success can be procured by tycoons who can buy success. I can put up with the likes of man united and Liverpool because they are genuinely big clubs. If people can't see or don't agree with how I view that, fair enough but I stick by what I say, they are not a big club historically and their success is achieved through purely being a middle of the road club lucky enough to have had a tycoon who throws millions at it

Iggy Pope
21-11-2012, 09:07 PM

All big clubs too, but historically, Liverpool never had a whole lot of anything until 1965 so that kind of shoots holes in that argument.

You're entitled to your opinion, but if you believe there are only three big clubs in England, then I think you're well wide of the mark and fans of City, Spurs, Everton, Villa and probably even Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and Forest would disagree.

euansdad
21-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Didn't say there was only three big clubs in England just used those three examples which kind of shoots your argument down. I don't feel the Liverpool situation in the sixties can be compared at all. Maybe no success previously but they built a legacy and disnt achieve what came after purely by a tycoon throwing money at it...... Still happy with my argument

Eyrie
21-11-2012, 10:50 PM
A big club is one that has built itself up over the years to win trophies rather than one which has bought success quickly.

Part/Time Supporter
21-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Benitez new manager then.

Might get the best outa Torres

Now averaging less than 3 league goals per manager during his time at Chelsea.

(11 goals, 4 managers)

:greengrin

Pete
21-11-2012, 11:18 PM
A big club is one that has built itself up over the years to win trophies rather than one which has bought success quickly.

So how do you start the process then? Will city and chelsea only become big when they have more trophies and as many glory-hunters and hangers on as these big clubs? Are Everton bigger than the neauvo riche clubs because they were consistantly top of the tree until 20 years ago?

Big players play for the big teams...the ones with the big cash. City are champions, top of the table, play in the champions league, play in front of 50k at home, pay top wages and have top players and have an impressive trophy haul. That sounds pretty big to me.

Its the "traditional big clubs" fault this has happened. They constantly stole players from other teams in the same league, the end result being that there is no other way for any other team to challenge them. Its funny how they moan about money now but it wasn't an issue for them ten years ago.

Bring on more I say.

Pete
21-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Maybe we're the wrong people to be discussing what being "big" means.

Any hearts fans want to tell us?

Sir David Gray
22-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Ridiculous decision to sack Di Matteo, given his achievements last year.

They're only a few points off the top of the Premiership table after less than a third of the season, they're in the quarter finals of the League Cup and they're still in with a shout of qualifying for the last 16 of the Champions League, although I understand it's not in their hands anymore. They need Shakhtar Donetsk to beat Juventus at home in the last group game for them to stand any chance of going through. Although Shakhtar have already qualified for the knockout stages, they need to avoid defeat to go through as group winners and have a great home record that they'll want to defend.

Having said that, they'll probably play out a goalless draw which means they'll stay unbeaten at home, they'll finish top of the group and Juventus will go through with them!

It's still shocking treatment, either way.

At least give the guy one full season before making a judgement.

Beefster
22-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Yip and I don't think it's good for the game when trophies and success can be procured by tycoons who can buy success. I can put up with the likes of man united and Liverpool because they are genuinely big clubs. If people can't see or don't agree with how I view that, fair enough but I stick by what I say, they are not a big club historically and their success is achieved through purely being a middle of the road club lucky enough to have had a tycoon who throws millions at it

Chelsea's revenue is the 6th highest of all the existing football clubs and about 25% bigger than Liverpool. It's been like that since before Abramovich arrived.

They're a big club.

euansdad
22-11-2012, 06:05 AM
Well we will all have to agree to disagree but I maintain that historically, they are not and most of their achievements have been purchased rather than earned. Them and man city epitomise what is wrong with the modern game to me

Scouse Hibee
22-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Chelsea's revenue is the 6th highest of all the existing football clubs and about 25% bigger than Liverpool. It's been like that since before Abramovich arrived.

They're a big club.

Really? How long before he arrived, and where can I find these figures.

Hibs90
22-11-2012, 10:20 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrd1lvxgSX1qg9bnto1_500.gif

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2012, 11:01 AM
The point is I don't see them as a big club. Don't think try can be bracketed with the above and they haven't grown as such into a successful club, a tycoon purchased it for them

I'd imagine they will be heartbroken hearing this.

Scouse Hibee
22-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Have to laugh at the Chelsea fans saying Rafa not good enough for them.

euansdad
22-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I'd imagine they will be heartbroken hearing this.

Not expecting them to be but seeing as this is a forum where we can express an opinion, I'm just expressing mine like you or anyone else can. You can either disagree or agree with it but I ain't running it past you first

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Not expecting them to be but seeing as this is a forum where we can express an opinion, I'm just expressing mine like you or anyone else can. You can either disagree or agree with it but I ain't running it past you first

:greengrin Can you give me any idea when they could be classed as a big club, or is that never going to happen?

And just as a side note, how big are chelsea and what difference does size make when talking about a club thats European champions? :confused:

euansdad
22-11-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm saying historically they ain't a big club and I don't regard them as being so plus their success is manufactured and brought. That is all and all that is and all that can and will be. I thank you and wish you salutations but that is all for any more is love and I cannot be that way for I am heterosexual

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm saying historically they ain't a big club and I don't regard them as being so plus their success is manufactured and brought. That is all and all that is and all that can and will be. I thank you and wish you salutations but that is all for any more is love and I cannot be that way for I am heterosexual

I have my doubts? :wink:

euansdad
22-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Why? They do say you have to be one to know one

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Why? They do say you have to be one to know one

Who says that?:confused:

euansdad
22-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Ok mate can see your an Internet wind up merchant. Leave you to it 'big man'...... Or is that mouth?

lord bunberry
22-11-2012, 08:15 PM
I wonder if benitez will bring back that ray of sunshine Alex miller to be his assistant again

Billy Whizz
22-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I wonder if benitez will bring back that ray of sunshine Alex miller to be his assistant again

Ha ha
He's seemingly bringing an ex Chelsea player Zenden, as his asst manager

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Ok mate can see your an Internet wind up merchant. Leave you to it 'big man'...... Or is that mouth?

I really dont know, you are the expert on size? :faf:

Bostonhibby
22-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I really dont know, you are the expert on size? :faf:

:slipper:

MoscowHibs
22-11-2012, 09:55 PM

NOTHING wrong wi Blackpool Hibs, I can certainly vouch for him.That is all.:wink:

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2012, 10:17 PM
NOTHING wrong wi Blackpool Hibs, I can certainly vouch for him.That is all.:wink:

You will say anything for a cup final ticket. :wink:

MoscowHibs
22-11-2012, 10:37 PM
You will say anything for a cup final ticket. :wink:

Correct....And I still hae that bottle fae Russia for ye :drunk:. Will gie ye a shout.

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Correct....And I still hae that bottle fae Russia for ye :drunk:. Will gie ye a shout.

:greengrin :aok:

jgl07
23-11-2012, 01:12 AM

Err what the hell has RDM being sacked by Chelsea got to do with City?

Abramovich has sacked eight managers in ten years. Another walked of his own accord.

ADUG have sacked one manager in coming up for five years: Mark Hughes.

They were certainly proved right with that one given Hughes's shambolic record at QPR not to mention him quitting Fulham because he thought he was going to get the Villa job. The Villa owner dropped interest in him because of his disloyalty to Fulham.