PDA

View Full Version : What is Hibs class?

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2012, 01:01 PM
I read this on virtually every thread from daft songs to the man of the match awards. do any other clubs say it, is there someone on the Patrick Thistle site spouting the same crap?

3pm
20-11-2012, 01:06 PM
I dunno but it's going on my East Terrace stone.

lyonhibs
20-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Is it not a phrase first used in a quote from Ned Turnbull or Lawrie Reilly, and they should know?.

Dan Sarf
20-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Playing exhilarating football to get to the top of the table. Then getting humped by the bottom team in the league.

:flag:

hibsbollah
20-11-2012, 01:22 PM
'Theres class, theres first class and then theres Hibs Class'... Eddie Turnbull.

RyeSloan
20-11-2012, 01:24 PM
If you need to ask...... :greengrin

LancashireHibby
20-11-2012, 01:39 PM
'Theres class, theres first class and then theres Hibs Class'... Eddie Turnbull.

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

Keith_M
20-11-2012, 01:43 PM
It's a cringeworthy expression seized upon by some members of a support, that has had very little to celebrate for decades, to make them feel better about themselves.

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Consider it in this order

Hibs Class
Class
Outstanding
Exceptional
Superb
Excellent
VeryGood
Good
Satisfactory
Standard
Average
Below Average
Bad
Poor
Pish Poor
Dire
Hearts Class

flash
20-11-2012, 02:05 PM
It's a cringeworthy expression seized upon by some members of a support, that has had very little to celebrate for decades, to make them feel better about themselves.

What a strange way to talk about your own team.

JimBHibees
20-11-2012, 02:10 PM

Superb. :greengrin

euansdad
20-11-2012, 02:13 PM
It's classier than all classifications of class

Leishy1995
20-11-2012, 02:17 PM
It was fortold by Eddie Turnbull

Twa Cairpets
20-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Och away and get over yourself.

Seriously?

What do you want fans to do - wallow in self pity? tug the forelock to the OF or the insolvent ones over by?

I don't usually get annoyed by fatuously stupid comments on here, putting it down for the most part to deliberate or passive ignorance but this one has got under my skin, so if you were fishing well done, you landed one.

One thing is quite clear from your post is that sadly, not all alleged supporters deserve the term "Hibs Class".

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2012, 03:12 PM

Seriously?

What do you want fans to do - wallow in self pity? tug the forelock to the OF or the insolvent ones over by?

I don't usually get annoyed by fatuously stupid comments on here, putting it down for the most part to deliberate or passive ignorance but this one has got under my skin, so if you were fishing well done, you landed one.

One thing is quite clear from your post is that sadly, not all alleged supporters deserve the term "Hibs Class".

I think thats what i have been getting at? We have some fans carrying knives, some biting parts of other folks ears off, and we sing some terrible songs apparently?

We slaughter our own players, even those who support the club, but apparently there is class then there is Hibs class? :wink:

Next we will be calling the club an institution. :devil:

Twa Cairpets
20-11-2012, 03:44 PM
I think thats what i have been getting at? We have some fans carrying knives, some biting parts of other folks ears off, and we sing some terrible songs apparently?

We slaughter our own players, even those who support the club, but apparently there is class then there is Hibs class? :wink:

Next we will be calling the club an institution. :devil:

Personally - and here is a can of worms for you - I deem anyone who does any of the following not worthy of being deemed Hibs Class

- Taking tricolours to Hibs games in some faux Republican statement while being outraged at the yams having Union Flags.
- Singing the Mercer song.
- Being a casual / committing violent acts in the name of my football club.
- Yelling abuse at our own players.

All these things happen, and they all, to varying degrees, make me think "gonnae just f*** off"

It doesn't mean to say that we all have to accept a bar that low. Those that aim a bit higher have a claim to being Hibs class.

All clubs have s***bags. It's how the more normal of us reacts that dictates how we are as a club.

Devilstorment
20-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Personally - and here is a can of worms for you - I deem anyone who does any of the following not worthy of being deemed Hibs Class

- Taking tricolours to Hibs games in some faux Republican statement while being outraged at the yams having Union Flags.

All these things happen, and they all, to varying degrees, make me think "gonnae just f*** off"

It doesn't mean to say that we all have to accept a bar that low. Those that aim a bit higher have a claim to being Hibs class.

All clubs have s***bags. It's how the more normal of us reacts that dictates how we are as a club.

:top marks
Spot on mate.

I think Hibs Class has two meanings. One is the level of "Class" displayed by our fans towards other fans, the club, other clubs and generally how they conduct themselves. The other meaning (perhaps more the ET meaning) is how the team play

... at least thats what i think

hibsmad
20-11-2012, 03:56 PM

:agree:

Just what I was about to post.

In my opinion there is such a thing as Hibs class. We could be here all night debating what constitutes Hibs class but quite simply I believe that your average Hibs supporter is a "classier" individual than your average Hearts supporter. People may say that I am just looking at things through my green and white specs but that is what I believe.

Off course we also have our share of idiots who follow our club but it would be ridiculous to think that a club of our size couldn't.

The Green Goblin
20-11-2012, 05:49 PM
What a strange way to talk about your own team.

My thoughts exactly...

Keith_M
20-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Seriously?

I see, you have to be a blindly following Über Fan to be considered Hibs Class. Fair Enough.

What part of my post was untrue?

Our club has underachieved for it's size for most of the 30 odd years I've followed them. Different people have different ways of coping with this. If your way is to make up some story about 'Hibs Class', fair enough. I recognise my club for what it is and am capable of loving it just the same, without any of the meaningless platitudes used by others.

hibsbollah
20-11-2012, 06:07 PM

Good post indeed :agree:

Hibs class is an aspiration, something to aim at.

Hibs Class
20-11-2012, 08:43 PM
I am Hibs Class.

JollyGreenGiant
20-11-2012, 09:05 PM
:top marks
Spot on mate.

I think Hibs Class has two meanings. One is the level of "Class" displayed by our fans towards other fans, the club, other clubs and generally how they conduct themselves. The other meaning (perhaps more the ET meaning) is how the team play

... at least thats what i think

Tbh I think it is less to do with what the fans do and more about the way the club conducts itself e.g. living within its means, not employing convicted sex offenders, paying its taxes, paying our players on time etc

Twa Cairpets
20-11-2012, 09:40 PM
I see, you have to be a blindly following Über Fan to be considered Hibs Class. Fair Enough.

What part of my post was untrue?

Our club has underachieved for it's size for most of the 30 odd years I've followed them. Different people have different ways of coping with this. If your way is to make up some story about 'Hibs Class', fair enough. I recognise my club for what it is and am capable of loving it just the same, without any of the meaningless platitudes used by others.

Who said anything about being an uberfan? Who said anything about blindly following?

Avoiding singing tasteless songs about dead people, while draped in a tricolour sporting a chib and feeling pent up hatred towards their own teams players is not, but any rational standard, being an uberfan.

What was untrue about your post? Let's see...
"It's a cringeworthy expression seized upon by some members of a support, that has had very little to celebrate for decades, to make them feel better about themselves."
Not cringeworthy, unless you choose to be offended by mildly humorous description of an undefinable quality of being a Hibby.
No-one, I would think, uses the phrase to make them feel better about themselves in a serious way. It's a bit of oneupmanship that is a mild fun-poke, and I also think it true - your better Hibby is a better person than your better hun, tim or yam.

jacomo
20-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Consider it in this order

Hibs Class
Class
Outstanding
Exceptional
Superb
Excellent
VeryGood
Good
Satisfactory
Standard
Average
Below Average
Bad
Poor
Pish Poor
Dire
Hearts Class

:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Who regard themselves as Hibs class, and why? :timebomb:

ZS DOOM
20-11-2012, 11:19 PM

This :agree:

Twa Cairpets
21-11-2012, 12:24 AM
This :agree:

The above single word reply is without doubt the single most annoying thing to post on a thread, ever.

Quite definitely not Hibs Class, and somehow jambo-esque in its pretension.

KeithTheHibby
21-11-2012, 04:38 AM
The above single word reply is without doubt the single most annoying thing to post on a thread, ever.

This:greengrin

ZS DOOM
21-11-2012, 06:54 AM

Classic hibs.net Way of thinking. Must be a yam eh?

lord bunberry
21-11-2012, 07:23 AM

Ltyf :greengrin

lord bunberry
21-11-2012, 07:47 AM

This whole post lacks class there is nothing classy about referring to fellow supporters as ****bags the classy thing to do would surely to be the bigger person and retain a dignified silence

worcesterhibby
21-11-2012, 08:36 AM
For me "Hibs Class" is something we aspire to. It's a way of categorising the actions of players, fans the club itself when we get things right.

Sauzee went about his business with skill, determination, flair and a sense of fair play..he demonstrated all the attributes that the supporters of Hibs would like to see other players aspire to, in that way he was "Hibs Class".

Section 43 thought outside the box, refused to accept that it's only clubs like Inter and Galatasaray that have fantastic stadium displays and worked their socks off to produce a truly awesome display at the cup final, in that way they are "Hibs Class".

Going to an away match in The Ukraine and ending up supporting an orphanage long term in Dnipro, that is Hibs Class"

Running the club in a solvent manner, where we pay our bills, pay our taxes and try to be a community club is Hibs class.

Of course there are many times when the team, the club and the supporters fall short of this aspirational target.

Taking weapons to matches and being more interested in fighting than football is not Hibs Class.

Sacking Sauzee and installing Blobby was not Hibs Class.

The players turning up at a cup final with no fight, no determination and no will to win was not Hibs Class.

The difference between Hibs and some other teams is that the majority of us agree on what is not Hibs class and we are aware of our failings. while Many over in Gorgie still don't see that spending 20 times more than you earn is classless and leads to disaster. Many in Glasgow think that football should be as much about religious bigotry as it is about sportsmanship. Managers like Sheils at Kilmarnock genuinely think that the best way to act is to blame others for your own failures and take cheap shots at other clubs. They don't see their faults as failings...the majority of us do.

Twa Cairpets
21-11-2012, 08:36 AM

Nope.

Didn't say that, but if the cap fits...

The first place I saw the use of "This" regularly was on taxback, and it just irritates me - if you're not going to add anything to the thread, other than saying "This", why bother?

Twa Cairpets
21-11-2012, 08:44 AM
This whole post lacks class there is nothing classy about referring to fellow supporters as ****bags the classy thing to do would surely to be the bigger person and retain a dignified silence

It is significantly less classy to be a s***bag than state that our fanbase - in common with all others - has it's share of knuckeldraggers who genuinely shame the club.

As for dignified silence, yes, if you're Kenny Shiels then that would be a classier thing to do. If you're a fan then nah, why do I have to accept some neanderthal as being the representative of the aspiration of the club. The things I listed I think are pathetic, and classless, and would be in most circumstances at any club. As I said, it's how the rest of us seek to be as a individuals,a support and a club that matters.

hibbymac
21-11-2012, 08:46 AM
I am Hibs Class.

:faf::aok:

lord bunberry
21-11-2012, 10:33 AM
It is significantly less classy to be a s***bag than state that our fanbase - in common with all others - has it's share of knuckeldraggers who genuinely shame the club.

As for dignified silence, yes, if you're Kenny Shiels then that would be a classier thing to do. If you're a fan then nah, why do I have to accept some neanderthal as being the representative of the aspiration of the club. The things I listed I think are pathetic, and classless, and would be in most circumstances at any club. As I said, it's how the rest of us seek to be as a individuals,a support and a club that matters.

So turnbull got it wrong then i should have been there's first class there's hibs class then there's class

Keith_M
21-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Who said anything about being an uberfan?

Actually, this was in reference to your previous reply (See below) YOU were the one that decided to categorise the Hibs support.

Avoiding singing tasteless songs about dead people, while draped in a tricolour sporting a chib and feeling pent up hatred towards their own teams players is not, but any rational standard, being an uberfan.

What has any of that got to do with my posts? I think you're jumping to a lot of conclusions of what I do and don't think is acceptable. If you want to argue against those things, please do it with someone that ACTUALLY argued in favour of them

What was untrue about your post? Let's see...
"It's a cringeworthy expression seized upon by some members of a support, that has had very little to celebrate for decades, to make them feel better about themselves."
Not cringeworthy, unless you choose to be offended by mildly humorous description of an undefinable quality of being a Hibby.
No-one, I would think, uses the phrase to make them feel better about themselves in a serious way. It's a bit of oneupmanship that is a mild fun-poke, and I also think it true - your better Hibby is a better person than your better hun, tim or yam.

Sorry, but I've yet to see anything in your argument that makes it untrue.

Also, where did I say I was offended by the expression? You're not actually very good at arguing with people according to the facts, are you.

Going by the content of your many posts on this thread, I think you're the one that needs to 'get over yourself'.

ZS DOOM
21-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Nope.

Didn't say that, but if the cap fits...

The first place I saw the use of "This" regularly was on taxback, and it just irritates me - if you're not going to add anything to the thread, other than saying "This", why bother?

It was implied.

It happens on a lot of forums mate. You obviously frequent jkb more than others. I was merely conveying that I was agreeing with the above post and couldn't have put it myself.

But I'm not hibs class so what would I know?

hibsbollah
21-11-2012, 11:46 AM
For me "Hibs Class" is something we aspire to. It's a way of categorising the actions of players, fans the club itself when we get things right.

Sauzee went about his business with skill, determination, flair and a sense of fair play..he demonstrated all the attributes that the supporters of Hibs would like to see other players aspire to, in that way he was "Hibs Class".

Section 43 thought outside the box, refused to accept that it's only clubs like Inter and Galatasaray that have fantastic stadium displays and worked their socks off to produce a truly awesome display at the cup final, in that way they are "Hibs Class".

Going to an away match in The Ukraine and ending up supporting an orphanage long term in Dnipro, that is Hibs Class"

Running the club in a solvent manner, where we pay our bills, pay our taxes and try to be a community club is Hibs class.

Of course there are many times when the team, the club and the supporters fall short of this aspirational target.

Taking weapons to matches and being more interested in fighting than football is not Hibs Class.

Sacking Sauzee and installing Blobby was not Hibs Class.

The players turning up at a cup final with no fight, no determination and no will to win was not Hibs Class.

The difference between Hibs and some other teams is that the majority of us agree on what is not Hibs class and we are aware of our failings. while Many over in Gorgie still don't see that spending 20 times more than you earn is classless and leads to disaster. Many in Glasgow think that football should be as much about religious bigotry as it is about sportsmanship. Managers like Sheils at Kilmarnock genuinely think that the best way to act is to blame others for your own failures and take cheap shots at other clubs. They don't see their faults as failings...the majority of us do.

Brilliant post :agree:

I dont understand why anyone would think its 'cringeworthy' to aspire to be better.

Speedway
21-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Hibs Class is an outlook, attitude, behaviour or set of aspirational behaviours to embody all you'd want representing a club of stature and influence.

Twa Cairpets
21-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Actually, this was in reference to your previous reply (See below) YOU were the one that decided to categorise the Hibs support.

What has any of that got to do with my posts? I think you're jumping to a lot of conclusions of what I do and don't think is acceptable. If you want to argue against those things, please do it with someone that ACTUALLY argued in favour of them

Just to be clear, my post listed things that would disqualify people from being "Hibs Class", in my opinion. I don't know what you think is acceptable - you may be a lovely man who behaves impeccably, or you may be a numptie. I don't really care.

You do strike me however, from your post, as someone who seems to revel in sneering at anything that isn't coldly related to the facts of the teams performance. You argument that it is cringeworthy is only the case if (a) you take it ever so seriously, and/or (b) you have the sense of humour of a newt.

Sorry, but I've yet to see anything in your argument that makes it untrue.

Also, where did I say I was offended by the expression? You're not actually very good at arguing with people according to the facts, are you.

Going by the content of your many posts on this thread, I think you're the one that needs to 'get over yourself'.

I'm great with analysis of facts thanks very much.

You didn't say you were offended, but in conversational, internet dialogue it is a reasonable word to use in the context of your abhorrence/irritation/annoyance/disapproval/dismay (delete as appropriate) of the phrase.

Personally, I think that there is a difference in the overall attitude of Hibs fans compared to Hearts fans (for the sake of argument lets call it being "Hibs Class", and it is born of being a two city club. Up until the sheik came, City fans were very different to Utd fans. Same with Nottingham, Tyneside, Sheffield and the rest. I happen to think that the class, humour, self-deprecation and general way of behaving of Hibs is better than Hearts, and I'm happy to call that Hibs Class. Not as a replacement for success, not as an emotional crutch, but as bit of fun based on truth.

You, on the other hand, seem to dismayed at anyone taking the merest scintilla of pleasure out of anything not related to facing up to the relative paucity of success on the pitch.

Just strikes me as weird.

Hibrandenburg
21-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Class is like standards, everyone has them to varying degrees. Hibs Class is that what each individual Hibby decrees to be of a positive nature and because of the varied support we have "Hibs Class" is therefore subjective.