PDA

View Full Version : So...

Phil D. Rolls
17-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Do we whimper off and die, or do we keep the faith? Got too cocky this week, that's all.

Eyrie
17-11-2012, 11:19 PM
In Fenlon I trust.

CallumLaidlaw
17-11-2012, 11:24 PM
We remember that we're beatable and need as close to our first 11 as possible, and we carry on

Ozyhibby
17-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Don't feel we got too cocky at all. Our problem today is the same problem we have had for a few years now. We are soft as s**t at the back. Only 4 teams have a worse defence than us. The reason we are doing so well in the league is Leigh Griffiths. If we sort out the defence and keep Leigh then we have a great chance to do well this year.
Some tough decisions will need to be made. Hope Pat will make them.

LeighLoyal
17-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Keep the faith.

dp00
17-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Keep the faith this will help us keep our feet on the ground

euansdad
17-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Keep going. It's our club so we have no choice! Keep the faith

Sir David Gray
17-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Don't feel we got too cocky at all. Our problem today is the same problem we have had for a few years now. We are soft as s**t at the back. Only 4 teams have a worse defence than us. The reason we are doing so well in the league is Leigh Griffiths. If we sort out the defence and keep Leigh then we have a great chance to do well this year.

I would agree with that, although I feel we have had a better balance to the midfield this season as well which has helped.

Defensively though, you're right, we are still pretty poor and Hanlon and Williams in particular do not look too comfortable with each other. Having said that, it doesn't help when we're without McPake and Clancy. Hopefully they'll be back to full fitness next week and we'll see a better defensive performance.

CallumLaidlaw
17-11-2012, 11:56 PM
I really do think the reinvigorated home crowd is helping too tho, so lets keep it going on Saturday.

zlatan
18-11-2012, 12:05 AM
I'll take the whimper and die option please.

Ozyhibby
18-11-2012, 12:17 AM
I would agree with that, although I feel we have had a better balance to the midfield this season as well which has helped.

Defensively though, you're right, we are still pretty poor and Hanlon and Williams in particular do not look too comfortable with each other. Having said that, it doesn't help when we're without McPake and Clancy. Hopefully they'll be back to full fitness next week and we'll see a better defensive performance.

Fact is, Paul Hanlon has played more than 100 games for Hibs and is 22 years old. He can't keep playing the inexperienced card. There is a problem in our defence and it needs sorted. There comes a time when you have to cut a young player loose. Are we there yet? Not even sure myself. Hope Pat knows.

Sir David Gray
18-11-2012, 12:35 AM
Fact is, Paul Hanlon has played more than 100 games for Hibs and is 22 years old. He can't keep playing the inexperienced card. There is a problem in our defence and it needs sorted. There comes a time when you have to cut a young player loose. Are we there yet? Not even sure myself. Hope Pat knows.

I think he's a bit too soft for a centre half to be quite honest, I don't feel that he's dominating or commanding enough and makes too many simple errors. The mix up between him and Williams today was almost a carbon copy of the incident from last week, the only difference was that Dundee didn't score from it.

There has to be something there though for him to have been picked constantly by different managers and also to have had the captaincy of the Scotland under 21 side.

As you say, he's not a kid anymore who people can make excuses for. He's a 22 year old man who is now in his sixth season as a professional. We need to see some improvement over the coming months.

The Green Goblin
18-11-2012, 12:39 AM
We lost a game. Anyone can lose a game, even the league leaders! :greengrin

Jim44
18-11-2012, 12:52 AM

You're quite right but some of the comments on the radio were unbelievably damning - 'Like Barcelona against schoolboys'. ; 'Dundee have taken Hibs apart'. ; 'Demolition job ....'. Somebody who was there, please tell us it wasn't quite as bad as that. :-(

Saorsa
18-11-2012, 12:58 AM
Fact is, Paul Hanlon has played more than 100 games for Hibs and is 22 years old. He can't keep playing the inexperienced card. There is a problem in our defence and it needs sorted. There comes a time when you have to cut a young player loose. Are we there yet? Not even sure myself. Hope Pat knows.I always thought you were a knob, and efter how many posts my opinion hasnae changed but life is full of opinions isn't it.

Sir David Gray
18-11-2012, 01:00 AM
You're quite right but some of the comments on the radio were unbelievably damning - 'Like Barcelona against schoolboys'. ; 'Dundee have taken Hibs apart'. ; 'Demolition job ....'. Somebody who was there, please tell us it wasn't quite as bad as that. :-(

We were very poor and got what we deserved but I'm sure that result will have delighted the pundits on the radio.

They've just been waiting on this wee blip from us so they can slaughter us again.

Billy McKirdy
18-11-2012, 01:13 AM

This :agree:

Ozyhibby
18-11-2012, 04:57 AM
I always thought you were a knob, and efter how many posts my opinion hasnae changed but life is full of opinions isn't it.

Your probably right. Unfortunately that won't make our defence any better.

hibsbollah
18-11-2012, 05:25 AM
I think he's a bit too soft for a centre half to be quite honest, I don't feel that he's dominating or commanding enough and makes too many simple errors. The mix up between him and Williams today was almost a carbon copy of the incident from last week, the only difference was that Dundee didn't score from it.

There has to be something there though for him to have been picked constantly by different managers and also to have had the captaincy of the Scotland under 21 side.

As you say, he's not a kid anymore who people can make excuses for. He's a 22 year old man who is now in his sixth season as a professional. We need to see some improvement over the coming months.

Hanlon has been our best defender for most of our great start to the season (although McGivern has probably taken that mantle for a few weeks recently), and Paul has also covered for some ropey play from McPake, who isn't on form.

Kris1875
18-11-2012, 08:54 AM
We need to stay behind the team , they've done we'll up until now and we've got two massive games in the coming weeks in which the team are going to need our full backing . PF said their will be disappointments along our road to recovery , yesterday was unfortunately one of them . So again let's take this on the chin and move on !!! We are Hibernian FC !!

J-C
18-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if Pat had them in today for extra training as a punishment and double sessions next week, just to remind them they have lots of work to do yet.

offshorehibby
18-11-2012, 11:18 AM
At the start of the season i don't think anybody expected us to be in the position we are in. Most were going to be happy with getting back into the top six. We were always going to drop points some where along the way. This could be a nice timely kick up the backside before two massive games coming up.
when we put our mind to it we are playing some decent football, that will continued.

Not sure how many we had away on international duty last week but the last time we got beat was the Saturday after a week of international games.

NAE NOOKIE
18-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Very disappointing yesterday.

But .... we have to get back on track for next week and sort out whatever went wrong yesterday. That historically was typical Hibs. Screw up what has been a great start to the season with a poor performance against the club who are bottom of the league.

Its the sort of Hibs history I for one want to see the back of. If we are going to start losing I want it to be in hard fought games against Celtic or Aberdeen ..... not by playing poorly in games where on form the least we should hope for is a draw.

I'm not saying that this is the case .... but if anybody at ER thinks that a good start to the first quarter of this season has in any way gone to erasing the memory of the last 2 seasons ....... It hasnt.

To be fair we have managed to come back from our bad results this season with good results in the following fixture ... Lets hope we do the same next Saturday .... But the truth is that we have 5 tough league games coming up.

H ) ..........Aberdeen
A ) ..........St Johnstone
A ) ..........ICT
H ) ..........Motherwell
A ) ..........Kilmarnock

We cant afford to play badly in any of these games or we will lose and we will be looking at mid table ..... not forgetting the cup game with the Yams coming up ..... blow that and our good start will be looking not so good.

If all of this looks like I'm being over critical or pessimistic then sorry .... but over the last few years ( hell, over the last 35 years ) Hibs have contrived time and time again to let us down .... They need to make sure it doesnt happen this time.

On the official site it calls yesterday " A bad day at the office " ..... Thats the sort of dismissive patronising rubbish that needs to be left in the past ...... yesterday was underperformance and not acceptable if we want to do anything this season or in the seasons to come.

Grrrrrrrrr :grr:

Northernhibee
18-11-2012, 11:36 AM

We're not "soft as ****" at all. In some games this season when our backs have been against the wall we've dug in at the back and ground out results that we should have had no rights to get. We've made occasional mistakes like all teams but that is not being "soft as *****", that's conceding five against Celtic like we did last year or let us be bullied at the back like we have done in previous seasons. One bad result, let's not fall into the same boring habits of talking rubbish about the team like we did last season.

As for your comments on Hanlon I won't even justify them by arguing about it.

BEEJ
18-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Poor performance, certainly. But our injury list yesterday didn't help.

When all is said and done, we're in a far better place than in either of the last two seasons. Keep the faith and enjoy the journey!

:flag::flag:

Ozyhibby
18-11-2012, 01:49 PM
We're not "soft as ****" at all. In some games this season when our backs have been against the wall we've dug in at the back and ground out results that we should have had no rights to get. We've made occasional mistakes like all teams but that is not being "soft as *****", that's conceding five against Celtic like we did last year or let us be bullied at the back like we have done in previous seasons. One bad result, let's not fall into the same boring habits of talking rubbish about the team like we did last season.

As for your comments on Hanlon I won't even justify them by arguing about it.

Fair enough, you think our defence is fine, I think we lose too many goals. It has been an improvement on last season but has a long way to go.
I didn't mean to imply that Hanlon was the problem just that he could be and that Pat should not step back from a tough decision.
Personally I would give him more time but he does have some improving to do. Wotherspoon has shown the way here. A similar improvement from Hanlon would help.

Sir David Gray
18-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Hanlon has been our best defender for most of our great start to the season (although McGivern has probably taken that mantle for a few weeks recently), and Paul has also covered for some ropey play from McPake, who isn't on form.

McPake's been quite poor as well at times this season, I think he attempts to do too much and that's what gets him in trouble sometimes. I think his good points outnumber his bad points though.

Defensively we've been fine at Easter Road, our record at home is clearly very good and we're the only unbeaten side at home in the SPL. It's a massive improvement for us this season in comparison with last year when we could barely buy a win at Easter Road.

However, away from home some of our defending has been less than effective. We're losing an average of two goals in every away match that we play and no other side has conceded more goals away from home than we have. In fact, we've only conceded two fewer goals in total compared with the same stage last season, although our "goals for" stats are clearly much improved.

It's obviously a team game so to single out one man isn't fair but I personally feel that Paul Hanlon could toughen up a bit.

Northernhibee
18-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Fair enough, you think our defence is fine, I think we lose too many goals. It has been an improvement on last season but has a long way to go.
I didn't mean to imply that Hanlon was the problem just that he could be and that Pat should not step back from a tough decision.
Personally I would give him more time but he does have some improving to do. Wotherspoon has shown the way here. A similar improvement from Hanlon would help.

I didn't say our defense was fine and I didn't pick up on you saying "we lose too many goals". I do think we lose too many goals.

The point is yes, we have moments where we lose concentration and make silly mistakes but the one thing we cannot be accused of this year is being "soft as ****". I don't even know why any self respecting Hibs fan would be using a Colin Calderwood quote to describe this team.

As for Hanlon there is no decision to make. He's been our best CB this season.

PISTOL1875
18-11-2012, 05:29 PM
we turned up expecting to win.. Next week will be an improvement.. We take it on the chin , build a bridge and get ready for next week..

all teams lose games , HIbs are no different..