PDA

View Full Version : NHC The Huns to Engerlund (again)

Moulin Yarns
16-11-2012, 03:46 PM
What a fud.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_15877/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=4KDiALOg

LONDON (AP) - Scotland's most successful football club is trying to attract potential investors with an eye on someday playing in the English Premier League.

Rangers, a 54-time Scottish champion, feels less loyalty to its homeland after being forced to start again this season in the fourth tier as punishment for a financial meltdown. And now the Glasgow club's new ownership believes an exit route from the Scottish leagues is becoming possible as UEFA explores changing cross-border rules.

"The SPL told us face-to-face, 'We don't want you, you aren't welcome,'" Rangers chief executive Charles Green said in an interview with The Associated Press ahead of the club's planned flotation on a London Stock Exchange market.

And a planned revamp of the Scottish Premier League and three professional divisions below could be Rangers' chance to escape. The overhaul was announced during the offseason just as Rangers was going into liquidation with tax debts exceeding $30 million.

"What we understand is that any restructuring will also revisit the taboo," Green said. "A bit like, 'Don't talk about the war to the Germans.' 'Don't mention Rangers and Celtic leaving Scotland.' It was always 'Shhh don't mention that.'

"I think the taboo of that is going to be lifted ... Scottish football without Rangers and Celtic might actually become more competitive within the remaining clubs rather than having these two monsters sat above them."

Rangers is due to float on London's AIM market by the end of the year, and Green has been trying to persuade financial institutions this week that the club has a realistic chance of playing in the English Premier League.

"As a football club, if Rangers were in the Premier League only Manchester United would be bigger," Green said. "Because Arsenal haven't got more fans than Rangers ... the fan base is so big."

But the barriers to joining the world's richest football league are also vast, with the English Premier League already resisting previous overtures from both Rangers and Glasgow rival Celtic.

"I don't believe the Premier League are hostile towards it because I think it's a generalization," Green said. "Speak to Manchester United. They are not hostile to Rangers joining."

But United disputed Green's claims.

"We are not in favor of it at all. We are against it," United spokesman Phil Townsend said. "Our view is it's the English Premier League and should remain that way."

Green, though, pointed to the financial advantages of United being able to play at the 50,000-capacity Ibrox.

"Why would Man United want to play Southampton? Why, when they could play Rangers? Sixty percent of the Premier League don't want Rangers. Of course they don't want Rangers," Green said. "Why would Southampton, Swansea, Wigan, Aston Villa? Why would any of them want Rangers or Celtic in their league. Why would they? It threatens their existence ... but if you asked the big clubs, 'Would you like Rangers?"

They would, according to Green. Even in Spain.

"Ask Barcelona and Real Madrid if they would like Rangers and Celtic in their league," Green said. "They definitely would. Why wouldn't Barcelona want to play Rangers home and away as opposed to playing Getafe. They would sell (those) games out."

In the presentation to potential investors, Green features a quote from Barcelona President Sandro Rosell highlighting the virtue of playing European rivals on weekends.

"What will change football over 5-to-10 years is this insatiable demand for the big clubs to play each other," Green said. "And this is not the insatiable demand from the west Midlands or from north London. This is the demand from the Middle East, Asia, the Far East."

Green is putting his faith in a UEFA experiment that could remove a key barrier to Rangers leaving the Scottish league. European football's governing body has allowed 16 women's teams in Belgium and the Netherlands to form a cross-border league in a three-year trial.

"The difficulty is that historically I don't think Celtic and Rangers would have been allowed to consider leaving Scotland," Green said. "What is now going to change things ... is now we've got this cross-border league for women."

Rangers' demotion means that Scotland's only internationally attractive fixture is off the calendar - the Old Firm derby against Celtic.

And at Celtic's annual general meeting on Friday, chief executive Peter Lawwell said he believed expanding leagues beyond borders could become a reality.

"We are committed to the SPL but nothing stays the same," Lawwell said. "There are initiatives in Europe. UEFA have opened their mind up to some form of regional leagues.

"I think they recognize the polarization between the top leagues and the smaller leagues in terms of media values. There are very early proposals that may look at regional leagues."

Green bought Rangers' assets for 5.5 million pounds ($8.7 million), and four months later he is already hopeful of raising about 30 million pounds ($48 million) from a flotation on London's AIM exchange. Fans are expected to invest 21 million pounds (about $33 million) in shares.

Saorsa
16-11-2012, 03:48 PM
want a hand packing?

**** off Green ya roaster :bye:

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2012, 03:57 PM
"I think the taboo of that is going to be lifted ... Scottish football without Rangers and Celtic might actually become more competitive within the remaining clubs rather than having these two monsters sat above them."

So no Armageddon then, i'm a little confused? Does the SPL need sevco and the smellies or not, it seems to change every other week with this clown?

Keith_M
16-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Green:

"I don't believe the Premier League are hostile towards it because I think it's a generalization," Green said. "Speak to Manchester United. They are not hostile to Rangers joining."

United spokesman Phil Townsend:

"We are not in favor of it at all. We are against it. Our view is it's the English Premier League and should remain that way."

:rotflmao:

Hibercelona
16-11-2012, 04:02 PM

So no Armageddon then, i'm a little confused? Does the SPL need sevco and the smellies or not, it seems to change every other week with this clown?

We only "need" them, when nobody else wants them.

Them the rules. :deal:

Mikey
16-11-2012, 04:16 PM
If Rangers and Celtic want to play in England they have to take everyone else with them and make it a UK league.

Or they could sort out Sky and raise our funding above the level of League 2 teams in England. That's one of the main reasons that we are where we are.

lyonhibs
16-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Green:

"We are not in favor of it at all. We are against it. Our view is it's the English Premier League and should remain that way."

Loved that as well. As for Rangers fan base being bigger than that of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea, especially when you take into account the Asian market, Green can *****ing do one there.

Matty_Jack04
16-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Same boring pie every season with that lot no wonder we get nowt in sponsorship with these idiots constantly telling the world they want out we should stick them out in there own and let them find out just who wants them and there horrible clubs

BT58
16-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Green opens up his chasm of a mouth and spouts utter drivel,,,,,the media in the west lap it up
Bt

Pretty Boy
16-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Let them go.

Pity the English don't want them really.

LancsHibs
16-11-2012, 04:38 PM
The blokes a jabbering idiot, I'm embarrassed for him:loser:

Paisley Hibby
16-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Green:

It's breathtaking that he should pick Manchester of all places. I can't think of anywhere that would want two vists a year from the Hun hordes less than that city. Another example of what a slavering tool the man is.

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2012, 04:45 PM
This is kind of like a guy who has been dumped by his wife threatening to have an affair. It's over bluenose, over and done.

jacomo
16-11-2012, 04:46 PM
The Ugly Sisters want to abolish promotion/relegation in football. Or at least, that will be the inevitable consequence if they get their way. A never-changing league of the biggest franchises is their aim, with both of them at the top table of course.

If Sevco wanted to play in England, wasn't this summer just gone the ideal opportunity?

Presumably they could have applied to start from the bottom, like AFC Wimbledon. Green just has a big gob but no balls.

weecounty hibby
16-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Just like the great big spoiled kids that they are they believe that if they say it often enough it will come true. I'ts not so long ago that we were all doomed because they were dumped in D3 for cheating, now it's a good thing. I'll write it in big letters in case you may read this Chuck...
***** OFF, NO ONE MISSES YOU IN D3 SO WE WOULD LOVE IT IF YOU WENT FOR GOOD.

Seveno
16-11-2012, 05:06 PM
want a hand packing?

**** off Green ya roaster :bye:

I'll drive.

The Green Goblin
16-11-2012, 05:15 PM
It's precisely this kind of pish that makes me wish with all my heart that they had just died.

Baldy Foghorn
16-11-2012, 05:20 PM
It's precisely this kind of pish that makes me wish with all my heart that they had just died.

Indeed, Greene is a slavering idiot with delusions of grandeur, keep telling yourself you are wanted Greene, and it will eventually come true......:no way:

Thecat23
16-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Stopped reading after the first sentence. They aren't Scotland's most successful team. That team died. The Rangers are a totally new team. So green, the media and whoever else still bums them can **** right off.

ScottB
16-11-2012, 05:27 PM
I could see UEFA being in favour of men's cross border leagues. What I can't see them being in favour of are a few big clubs heading to the very biggest leagues; I could see them being happy with the Belgian and Dutch leagues merging for example, but not Ajax and Feyenoord joining the Bundesliga.

The point of this is to strengthen the smaller leagues, not weaken them.

euansdad
16-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Green becomes that bit more detached from reality with every passing day

Moulin Yarns
16-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Cheers, thecat. I didn't have time to post more when I started this thread but you have said my view precisely. How can a brand new club be the most successful club in Scotland. They've only won once away from ffs.

stoneyburn hibs
16-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Hurry up and go then auld firm :bye::bye:, miss you loads.

HibeeDaz6270
16-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Loved that as well. As for Rangers fan base being bigger than that of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea, especially when you take into account the Asian market, Green can *****ing do one there.

I would agree that Rangers & Celtic's fan base is bigger than all clubs in England excluding Manchester United. And if one day they were to join the English premier league , it would only grow. I think they would be successful down there. And would become huge clubs, competing for the top 4 in the premiership after establishing themselves. However i do not think that the move will ever happen, Unfortunate as i would gladly let them go!

Bighoose
16-11-2012, 05:44 PM

Well lucky for us we don't have to worry about Sevco being above for a few seasons yet...

Bloke has got shares to sell, he will say and do anything...

Paisley Hibby
16-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Green:

Wonder what Swansea think about it being the 'English Premier League'? :wink:

LancashireHibby
16-11-2012, 06:08 PM
The over inflated sense of importance is staggering, even now.

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2012, 06:54 PM
I could see UEFA being in favour of men's cross border leagues. What I can't see them being in favour of are a few big clubs heading to the very biggest leagues; I could see them being happy with the Belgian and Dutch leagues merging for example, but not Ajax and Feyenoord joining the Bundesliga.

The point of this is to strengthen the smaller leagues, not weaken them.

I think UEFA are really looking to set up a pan - European league, with different tiers. National leagues would cease to be of importance, except maybe as part of a pyramid structure.

LancashireHibby
16-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I think UEFA are really looking to set up a pan - European league, with different tiers. National leagues would cease to be of importance, except maybe as part of a pyramid structure.
No chance that there would be a pyramid structure, or they'd risk one of the big boys being relegated. I'm strongly against any sort of European league taking over from the existing national leagues, and in all honesty if that means retaining Celtc and some no mark Third Division team then so be it.

JimBHibees
16-11-2012, 07:04 PM
I would agree that Rangers & Celtic's fan base is bigger than all clubs in England excluding Manchester United. And if one day they were to join the English premier league , it would only grow. I think they would be successful down there. And would become huge clubs, competing for the top 4 in the premiership after establishing themselves. However i do not think that the move will ever happen, Unfortunate as i would gladly let them go!

That is complete nonsense by the way.

Scott Allan Key
16-11-2012, 07:06 PM
If Rangers or Celtic did go would they accept the pre-requisite that they can't play in Europe as Swansea and Cardiff have to do? Thought not.

LancashireHibby
16-11-2012, 07:11 PM
If Rangers or Celtic did go would they accept the pre-requisite that they can't play in Europe as Swansea and Cardiff have to do? Thought not.
Teams qualifying for Europe feature as representatives of their league so there is no reason why the FA would prevent Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Newport, Colwyn Bay etc from playing in Europe if the situation arose. In fact there's more chance of Colwyn Bay achieving it than a Scottish Third Division team climbing the entire English pyramid.

stoneyburn hibs
16-11-2012, 07:15 PM

they are gawn naewhere , we are stuck with them, both too big for Scotland . One is 2nd in the SPL , other is div 3.

Malthibby
16-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Couldn't even be bothered reading the full text. They can **** aff with my blessing, or insistence if I had the wherewithal.
Just a damn shame no-one else actually want them.:violin:
GG

euansdad
16-11-2012, 07:42 PM
What gets me is that they actually think the English will accept them. How many times has this come up and each and every time the English have said no chance

tamig
16-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Green:

Indeed. Green spouts some absolute pish. You'd think with a comment like that he'd actually have had some kind of chat with Man U. He's perfect for the hun. Represents all that they stand for perfectly. Arrogant clown of a man.

HibeeSince85
16-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Stopped reading after the first sentence. They aren't Scotland's most successful team. That team died. The Rangers are a totally new team. So green, the media and whoever else still bums them can **** right off.

Absolutely! How so many people fail to grasp this is beyond me.

They have won nothing.

Dashing Bob S
16-11-2012, 08:43 PM
The Huns have finally found the arrogant trumpet for them. For all there faults, Rangers board did historically act with a stoical dignity. Green sounds more like a Yams chairman with his pathetic 'poor me' crowd pleasing nonsense. They've become what they profess to despise most; pathetic, whinging, poor-me paranoids.

The fact that Man U in the next line say 'no you're a delusional fud and we simply don't want you" seems to cut no ice in his fantasy land. He also manages to trash almost every other club in the league he claims to want to join.

He was out of his depth at Sheffield Utd and he still is with his third division outfit.

killie-hibby
16-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Green opens up his chasm of a mouth and spouts utter drivel,,,,,the media in the west lap it up
Bt

The sycophantic Scottish based newspaper and broadcasting media poodles are even more embarrassing than Green, as usual, they will report his every word without challenge or criticism. Traynor,Young,Dodds et al must be saving Newco a fortune in toilet rolls.

Pete
16-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Really poorly written article

"Rangers, a 54-time Scottish champion, feels less loyalty to its homeland after being forced to start again this season in the fourth tier as punishment for a financial meltdown."

"Rangers demotion"

Infuriating.

hfc rd
16-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Just a slavering typical Hun.

Scott Allan Key
17-11-2012, 07:13 AM
[QUOTE=Lancashire Hibby;3416071]Teams qualifying for Europe feature as representatives of their league so there is no reason why the FA would prevent Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Newport, Colwyn Bay etc from playing in Europe if the situation arose. In fact there's more chance of Colwyn Bay achieving it than a Scottish Third Division team climbing the entire English football pyramidQUOTE]

I stand corrected. I've since discovered, thank you, that UEFA and Michel Platini have overruled the previous line of the English football authorities and have insisted that Welsh teams playing in English leagues can be nominated to play in Europe if they qualify under league position and cup victories, etc. The authorities then aligned themself with the UEFA directive. I was a tad out of date. Still, Rangers and Celtic are, as you say, highly unlikely to be welcomed into the English leagues. It's not just Rangers fans behaviour in Manchester that repels, I was in the Leicester end of a Celtic friendly at Filbert St and remember the disgust felt at the pro-IRA songs. No-one wants the bigotry.

euansdad
17-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Yip. Now I know the hibs support ain't angels and we have had a strong hooligan past with the CCS but the old firm support are warped and sing songs that the rest of the world would find disgusting. Also their behaviour when going down to England has been disgraceful at times yet they still think the English will entertain te thought of accepting them. Ask the citizens of Manchester if they are keen to see that rangers support back in their city after 2008!

LeighLoyal
17-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Hun drivel. Just die you vile mob of sc um.

basehibby
17-11-2012, 09:32 AM
The usual pathetic drivel from slavering Green - even worse from the apology for a journalist who wrote the article which is riddled with unchallenged lies, inaccuracies and just utter nonsense.

Just as well he only writes on t'internet and not for a "real" paper - his output would be no good for erse paper as it's already too full of sheight .

Elephant Stone
17-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Rangers, a 54-time Scottish champion
:aok:

being forced to start again this season in the fourth tier as punishment for a financial meltdown

:aok:

"Ask Barcelona and Real Madrid if they would like Rangers and Celtic in their league," Green said. "They definitely would.:aok:

pedroorange1875
17-11-2012, 11:13 AM
"rather than having these two monsters sat above them"

No monsters above us Charles.....deluded fool

NAE NOOKIE
17-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I think folk are being unfair to Mr Greene on here.

All he is trying to do is ensure that the newco uphold the strong tradition of self delusion which had been a trademark of the club whos place it took.

For instance ..... " the SPL didnt want us " As The Rangers have never been in a position to gain entry to the SPL by winning the first division how does he know the SPL wont want them.

How does he hope to persuade the people of England and Wales to accept The Rangers into their league. By insulting the clubs who they see as not being big enough to sit at the big folks table. Tiny wee clubs like Aston Villa .... That would be European Cup winning Aston Villa. I suppose European Cup winning Nottingham Forest are in that bracket as well.

Its just embarrassing to Scotland watching these idiots with their noses pressed to the window begging to get into the party. Its not going to happen ..... Where the hell is your pride ya muppets.

euansdad
17-11-2012, 11:44 AM
True he is perfect for their deluded sense of superiority and feeds it

lord bunberry
17-11-2012, 12:13 PM
What gets me is that they actually think the English will accept them. How many times has this come up and each and every time the English have said no chance

I was going to say that one day they will realise that they are not welcome down south but the reality is they probably won't they will be spouting this pish next year and the year after and the year after. ......

Bostonhibby
17-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Getting a bit tired of hearing this and making the same rather obvious point - English football generally and the "brand" that is the EPL have their hands full trying to deal with the race issues / problems that have arisen recently as it harms the image they are trying to cultivate.

At a testing time, why would they want to welcome a new problem in with the overt sectarianism and the racism that is implied by it by having the club that does not have the history it claims to have on board? There's not much positive in this for the EPL but maybe Charlie boy sniffs a few bucks?

Never gonnae happen - the Huns visit to Manchester is still well remembered......................