PDA

View Full Version : Council proposing to charge Hibs (and Hearts) for "disruption"

Future17
16-11-2012, 12:36 PM
More charges for Hearts (albeit also for Hibs): http://www.scotsman.com/news/hearts-and-hibs-set-for-new-council-charges-over-traffic-disruption-at-city-events-1-2640691

HIBS and Hearts would be among the worst hit by a new charge on major events as Edinburgh transport chiefs attempt to overcome a £1.1 million bill from the associated traffic disruption. Rugby bosses at Murrayfield are also expected to be affected by a proposed bid to make commercial operators foot the costs for barriers and diversions.

Edinburgh City Council is facing an £800,000 loss every year from sports fixtures, rock gigs and conferences. At present, only £300,000 is recovered – and taxpayers pick up the rest. Unlike Lothian and Borders Police, which bills organisers for officers’ time, local authority bosses said they had “seldom recovered” cash spent, but warned it was now impacting on tough budget constraints.

Costs stem from roads staff being deployed to set up barriers and manage traffic due to disruptions. This includes concerts such as Oasis and Madonna at Murrayfield and fixtures such as the Edinburgh derby. The charge emerged as the council published its budget for next year, which also proposed:

• Introducing a 20p charge for public toilets in central Edinburgh. The so-called “bladder tax” would bring in £216,000 every year, fund a £600,000 refurbishment of loos and prevent cuts to services elsewhere;

• Dropping a special £3m fund earmarked to repair potholes and cracked pavements. Transport leaders are under pressure to make the one-off payment from last year permanent to rescue the city’s aging streets;

• A rise in parking charges. The public will be asked if they will accept a small hike in charges to raise an extra £325,000 to be spent on roads;

• Raising entrance fees to the Scott Monument and Nelson Monument from £3 to £4 from April.

Hibs and Hearts were billed about £161,000 for policing two years ago and traffic costs are expected to be significant. If the move goes ahead in February, it is expected to be unpopular at a time when Hearts in particular are struggling to foot a £450,000 HMRC tax bill and are battling another one totalling £1.75m. Hibs also face tough budget pressures and are carrying debt.

The Royal Highland Showground at Ingliston is also likely to be included, but marches, demonstrations, and the city’s raft of festivals would not. A warning from financial officials stated: “The costs are seldom recovered from event organisers and it therefore represents a budget pressure. This proposal is to charge for providing traffic and pedestrian management for all profit-making events.”

Overall, the council is facing a relatively small shortfall of £10.8m for April 2013 to April 2014, when compared with previous years. Also included in the budget is the living wage deal which will see 2000 council staff currently on the £6.19 hourly minimum wage given £7.50 an hour from January.

Lesley Hinds, the city’s transport leader, insisted the move was just a proposal at this stage and that the reaction from the public would be key in determining whether to press ahead with the charges. She said: “The public are paying for commercial organisations to have barriers set up and traffic re-routed at a time when we’re having to prioritise the services which we provide.

“We are looking at ways we can bring in money and one of those might be asking organisers to pay for the service by adding a few pence to each ticket.”

Meanwhile, council chiefs are being urged to make the one-off £3m to boost road repairs this year a permanent commitment, arguing that there is a long way to go to fix potholes and cracked pavements. Neil Greig, director of policy at the Institute of Advanced Motorists, said: “The previous council administration allocated that extra money to help the backlog in maintenance, but it is clear that this needs to be an ongoing commitment.

“The local authority group Cosla estimates that there is something like a billion pounds of repairs needed to Scotland’s roads and I’m sure Edinburgh is included in that. Spending money on roads is not money wasted, it’s an investment for the future.”

Opposition parties will have until January to scrutinise the plans before a vote in February. Cuts to services are relatively marginal and there are few big-ticket projects, such as the multi-million-pound Summer Works programme to repair schools in this financial year.

StevieC
16-11-2012, 01:00 PM
More charges for Hearts (albeit also for Hibs): http://www.scotsman.com/news/hearts-and-hibs-set-for-new-council-charges-over-traffic-disruption-at-city-events-1-2640691

This should have a thread of its own ...

I think the council have got a cheek to talk about charging for sporting events. I reckon they would bend over backwards and wouldn't think twice about the costs for any other event (sporting or otherwise).

Edinburgh marathon, festival events, fun runs, etc. etc. will all result in worse traffic disruption, and they wont look for a penny from event organisers. They'd argue till they were blue in the face about the economical advantages for local business etc. to encourage such events, yet put them in a football stadium and they view it as a way to claw back some of the cash they're wasting elsewhere.

le bill
16-11-2012, 01:03 PM

I think the council have got a cheek to talk about charging for sporting events. I reckon they would bend over backwards and wouldn't think twice about the costs for any other event (sporting or otherwise).

Edinburgh marathon, festival events, fun runs, etc. etc. will all result in worse traffic disruption, and they wont look for a penny from event organisers. They'd argue till they were blue in the face about the economical advantages for local business etc. to encourage such events, yet put them in a football stadium and they view it as a way to claw back some of the cash they're wasting elsewhere.

We could form a "Peoples Popular Front of Judea" with the Yams and fight the council together!
:thumbsup:

Ozyhibby
16-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Thats what we get for voting labour. Taxes go up and they stop collecting the rubbish.

Onion
16-11-2012, 01:11 PM

:agree: 100% What a farce.

Part/Time Supporter
16-11-2012, 01:50 PM
You have to wonder whether Edinburgh Council actually want professional sports teams in their area.

Beefster
16-11-2012, 01:57 PM
The council have a cheek moaning about 'disruption' considering the chaos they've caused in the city centre in the last few years.

Hibercelona
16-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Genius from the jambo infested council.

They know Hearts won't be around by then, but its a great way to get Hibs to cough up money, for something they have no control over.

The only thing causing "disruption" are trams that a vast majority of people don't want and road works that they fail to notify the public about.

LancashireHibby
16-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Realistically how many road closures are in place on our match days? Even closing Albion Road behind the FF Stand seems to happen a lot less than previous years, so I can't see how it's costing the council a fortune.

ScottB
16-11-2012, 02:08 PM
I struggle to see how Hibs or Hearts matches cause major traffic problems, sure, before and after games the roads are a bit busier, but they do not require diversions, road closures or any of the things that many other events that would cost the Council more money to set up, yet are not interested in pursuing.

Here's a thought, cut the wages of the top councillors, last year staff at their HQ racked up a bill of several grand phoning the damn speaking clock for ****'s sake. Has to be one of the most bloated and inefficient organisations ever conceived A cheek to expect us to foot the bill when you can guarantee Hearts won't / won't be able to cough up a penny. Hell I'd be amazed if they've ever paid their Council Tax / Rates.

truehibernian
16-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Are Hearts paying other public bodies what they are due ? One for an intrepid journalist that one if you ask me........

Phil MaGlass
16-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Absolutely amazing,even the councillors themselves were recently saying their should be more events held in Edinburgh ie rugby at Murrayfield cos it brings in f,n millions to the economy,think it was in the region of 2-3 million, now they want to charge clubs for actually keeping folk in jobs, yi couldnae make it up, aw these erses that wish to hold marches and demonstrations should have to foot the bill but to charge clubs is astonishing.

JimBHibees
16-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Realistically how many road closures are in place on our match days? Even closing Albion Road behind the FF Stand seems to happen a lot less than previous years, so I can't see how it's costing the council a fortune.

Completely agree what a joke that is. I think we are talking about Albion Road and possibly Russell Road at Tynie. Where exactly is the massive disruption cost they are implying. They wouldnt dare be going with cap in hand to the festival or the Hogmanay party so why should clubs have to pay. Completely unfair IMO.

It is a joke before you even start on considering the complete disruption caused by the trams escapade.

LancashireHibby
16-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Just had a quick look in to a similar scenario where I work and essentially the council wouldn't have a leg to stand on if the club were to object to being charged. The only traffic measures in place are the cones along Albion Road and the (very) occasional road closure as mentioned which aren't necessarily essential, nor do they have any traffic calming measures in place for ease the traffic flow after games so realistically there's very little that we could actually be charged for.

jacomo
16-11-2012, 03:00 PM
I think all Edinburgh football clubs should pay a one off goodwill fee of £100,000 to the Council in recognition of the important work they do keeping the roads safe during sports fixtures in the City.

The fee must be paid by the end of this month, in full.

It will hurt to write the cheque, Rod, but remember - their grandchildren will be Hibbies.

Gatecrasher
16-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I feel Edinburgh council do their best to stop people coming into the city and having a good time without having to pay a fortune for the privilege, I used to love Edinburgh. The the city centre in particular but it's changed a lot. The roads are a disgrace, not only the condition but the systems to navigate it are are confusing at best. They try and squeeze every penny they can out of anyone willing to give the city a try, but it's a shame but if I didn't work or support an Edinburgh team I would barely be near the place. You just need to see Princes Street these days to see what's become of it. For the record I don't want to slag off Edinburgh but the news article above is just another example the way things have been going in Edinburgh over the years.

s.a.m
16-11-2012, 03:06 PM
I think all Edinburgh football clubs should pay a one off goodwill fee of £100,000 to the Council in recognition of the important work they do keeping the roads safe during sports fixtures in the City.

The fee must be paid by the end of this month, in full.

It will hurt to write the cheque, Rod, but remember - their grandchildren will be Hibbies.

:agree:

I'm thinking this way myself. It's only right.

Bishop Hibee
16-11-2012, 03:12 PM
This is just 1 of a number of suggestions in a set of draft budget proposals. If you want to have your say you can do so here http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/budget

I think the proposal to charge for this service is a nonsense given the money these events bring in to the Community. When the Council puts on the Christmas and New Year events it takes the hit to promote the City and bring people into the Capital, it doesn't charge Unique Events etc for the traffic management.

One thing for sure though, thanks to the banking collapse and £66 bilion bailout, there will be cuts in services for years to come http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20349579

Bighoose
16-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Friday afternoon, 4pm, no football on today, so why is the traffic into town now backed up to halfway down both Leith Walk and London Road?

Maybe the Council should sort that out first before charging Hibs for a couple of barriers and cones.

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Utter nonsense - it's the cabbies that clean up when these events are on, get them to pay.

The_Todd
16-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Thats what we get for voting labour. Taxes go up and they stop collecting the rubbish.

You realise it's because Council Tax is frozen that the Council need to find different revenue streams, right :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
16-11-2012, 05:24 PM
The council have a cheek moaning about 'disruption' considering the chaos they've caused in the city centre in the last few years.

In a nutshell, they have disrupted the city centre over the appalling decision to install trams, now they want to recoup some of the money they have wasted negligently.......:rolleyes:

stoneyburn hibs
16-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Edinburgh Council = bunch of Phannys , am no surprised by this as its a been a killer for years being a tradesman trying to do work in or around the city centre.

ScottB
16-11-2012, 05:37 PM
You realise it's because Council Tax is frozen that the Council need to find different revenue streams, right :wink:

They could try being efficient / less ludicrously wasteful rather than looking for new sources of money to waste... ;)

VickMackie
16-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Friday afternoon, 4pm, no football on today, so why is the traffic into town now backed up to halfway down both Leith Walk and London Road?

Maybe the Council should sort that out first before charging Hibs for a couple of barriers and cones.

Exactly.

Caused by their bus lane camera on Leith Street so cars can't filter into the correct lane and rhe closure of the road that goes parallel to the train tracka. All Backing traffic up right down outside the omni and all the way down broughton street all to the roundabout.

Councillors are ****ers. I don't care if there are some good ones they can go **** themselves.

VickMackie
16-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Before we get into blaming political parties lets not forget labour forces through a tram project that's going to cost about 800 million.

Top Pans Hibby
16-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Oh dear!

big gogs
16-11-2012, 06:16 PM
charge for disruptions,rod,speak to the m.p.,he will sort it out,worked for the hearts

greenginger
16-11-2012, 06:26 PM
They could try being efficient / less ludicrously wasteful rather than looking for new sources of money to waste... ;)

Try not spending £ 20,000 on a Independent Report recommending the Council builds a new Yam stadium, written by a Yam shareholder.

jgl07
16-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Completely agree what a joke that is. I think we are talking about Albion Road and possibly Russell Road at Tynie. Where exactly is the massive disruption cost they are implying. They wouldnt dare be going with cap in hand to the festival or the Hogmanay party so why should clubs have to pay. Completely unfair IMO.

Russell Road has only been opened in August after being closed for 11 months for bridge construction works!

jgl07
16-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Before we get into blaming political parties lets not forget labour forces through a tram project that's going to cost about 800 million.

It was a Lib Dem-SNP council that signed the contract for tram works.

Saorsa
16-11-2012, 06:31 PM
It was a Lib Dem-SNP council that signed the contract for tram works.It was labour, the beige party and the tories that pushed the stupid ****in' idea through the parliament in the 1st place though.

hibee
16-11-2012, 06:35 PM
They don't manage any traffic at the games, one guy stands at the end of the road and occasionally shuts one street with a barrier.

If they start charging for this Hibs should start charging the council for tickets for every traffic warden that comes in to watch the game, I've never understood why traffic wardens and police bikers get to come in and watch the game for free!

VickMackie
16-11-2012, 06:48 PM

No it wasn't. The snp and lib dem had to look at cancelling and paying 75 million for exit costs from contracts or press on and at least have something for the half billion already spent. The most sensible solution available at the time.

clerriehibs
16-11-2012, 07:22 PM

whatever.

Bishop Hibee
16-11-2012, 07:32 PM

All 3 parties take a share of the blame and if memory serves the Tories supported it initially. A wonder anyone votes at all after the whole fiasco. The silver lining of the budget cuts is it's political suicide to build the yams a new stadium....at the moment. Stay vigilant.

SanFranHibs
16-11-2012, 08:24 PM
You have to wonder whether Edinburgh Council actually want professional sports teams in their area.

Assuming we are defining professional as 'getting paid'.

Being released at this time the proposal looks like it is borne out of financial jealousy and frustration that they can't really assist Hearts, therefore they might at least penalise Hibs. Also they know that there is a possibility that there will only be one team in the city of Edinburgh in the not too distant future, because I still think Hearts will be forced to sell the Asbestos stadium and find a place elsewhere. Thus, the new city closed streets tax won't affect Hearts.

GGTTH

:flag::flag:

Baldy Foghorn
16-11-2012, 08:28 PM
That should be the basis of a legal challenge. Charging the football clubs is essentially subsidising these other events.
Still, we should be able to rely on Alex Salmond to make representation on our behalf, think I'll ask.

Just make sure he knows what figures he is using in his representations......:aok:

Kato
16-11-2012, 08:44 PM

Really? Interesting. Here's me thinking that their might be difficulties with revenue streams because the Council are inept, fat, greedy wastrels on the skim.

Kato
16-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Assuming we are defining professional as 'getting paid'.

Being released at this time the proposal looks like it is borne out of financial jealousy and frustration that they can't really assist Hearts, therefore they might at least penalise Hibs. Also they know that there is a possibility that there will only be one team in the city of Edinburgh in the not too distant future, because I still think Hearts will be forced to sell the Asbestos stadium and find a place elsewhere. Thus, the new city closed streets tax won't affect Hearts.

GGTTH

:flag::flag:

Rest assured if Hearts are still around they won't be paying this surcharge.

Topographic Hibby
16-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Rest assured if Hearts are still around they won't be paying this surcharge.True, and when they go under, Edin Council will be at Rod's door about 15 seconds later with an invoice for traffic disruption. Watch this space.....

givescotlandfreedom
17-11-2012, 10:00 AM

Yep I'm all for it if we get paid for the disruption made to our journals if we even dare to think of going through the city centre.

givescotlandfreedom
17-11-2012, 10:03 AM

Forgetting that the SNP-Lib Dem coalition shafted the bin men and led to them working to rule for months relying on extremely expensive scab labour which led to bins festering for weeks on end, I guess.

basehibby
17-11-2012, 10:27 AM
What a load of ridiculous drivel from the council which employs the greatest amount of traffic wardens in the whole of the UK excluding Westminster and thus extorts a massive amount from road users already with which to pay for such incidental expenses.

Have they wasted so much of the revenue creamed in from the performance-pay-induced blue meanies on work that is patently unnecessary that they now have to harass already struggling football clubs as well as already struggling motorists?

I would suggest that they have a close look at the behaviour and the contracts of the executives in charge of road and pavement repairs in Edinburgh if they want to save a bit of money. I believe there's a strong probability that they would find not only a lot of wasteage in the way money is spent but also a strong case for bringing criminal charges against council personnel in a similar way to the recent criminal investigations into the handling of statutory repairs notices in Edinburgh.

lucky
17-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Based on what? the city is run by Labour and SNP. If this is introduced then it should be for all events. I don't think it will effect Hibs much. Only Albion Road gets closed off by the city council. Its the police that puts up the steal wall after the big games. The parking restrictions are put in place by the council not the clubs

heidtheba
17-11-2012, 01:52 PM
We could form a "Peoples Popular Front of Judea" with the Yams and fight the council together!
:thumbsup:

SPLITTER!

:greengrin

Swedish hibee
17-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Is this for real? :rolleyes: They want to charge football teams for traffic on the roads?????:wtf:

Phil D. Rolls
17-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Is this for real? :rolleyes: They want to charge football teams for traffic on the roads?????:wtf:

Why the surprise? They want to charge people to sit in a pub, play guitar and sings songs with their mates. They charge you if you try to play guitar in the street. It's a matter of time before they charge you for taking a dump!

allezsauzee
17-11-2012, 09:03 PM
The council are thieves who steal our money and use it to line the pockets of their cronies. I didn't expect football clubs to be immune to their larceny.