PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Sproule-Liar

hibsbollah
15-11-2012, 05:46 PM
On Sportsound a minute ago...

'Ive got a lot of sympathy for the Hearts players and fans'.

:greengrin

Hibercelona
15-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Anybody mentioned on sickback yet that they'll be signing him up in January?

Just give it a wee bit of time. I'm sure one will pop up. :greengrin

hibsbollah
15-11-2012, 06:05 PM
You could almost hear his nose growing from Pacific Quay...

DC_Hibs
15-11-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm sure the likes of Ivan hate them as much as the rest of us.

Beaten to a scottish cup winners medal by a team paying £8m a year on salaries despite turnover being a good deal less and having debt at triple the value of their assets. Gutless imposters in the Hibs team didn't help of course.

Jim44
15-11-2012, 06:22 PM

I just caught the end of Sproule's interview and am not sure how sincere he was being about Hearts' predicament. What I did enjoy hearing was the complimentary comments about Hibs by Tom English and other guests on the programme. English was particularly positive about Fenlon and how the players, after initially not liking his training methods, were now buying in to his approach to the game. Also his direct comparison between Hibs and Hearts was music to the ears

lord bunberry
15-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Having spoken to Ivan on a couple of occasions if he now has sympathy for that mob then he has changed his views dramatically. I don't believe him for a second he is one of us he hates them

Bostonhibby
15-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Bet his face gave away exaxtly what he meant :greengrin Ideal situation for radio

Jim44
15-11-2012, 06:37 PM
I think his main thought was that all clubs really love their local derby rivalry and that Hibs Hearts games will be sorely missed.

JimBHibees
15-11-2012, 06:38 PM
I just caught the end of Sproule's interview and am not sure how sincere he was being about Hearts' predicament. What I did enjoy hearing was the complimentary comments about Hibs by Tom English and other guests on the programme. English was particularly positive about Fenlon and how the players, after initially not liking his training methods, were now buying in to his approach to the game. Also his direct comparison between Hibs and Hearts was music to the ears

Tend to get the impression none of the players criticising training methods are anywhere near the club.

renato
15-11-2012, 06:39 PM

What did he say Jim?

Jim44
15-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Bet his face gave away exaxtly what he meant :greengrin Ideal situation for radio

Funny you should mention 'ideal radio'. They had a slot on ' best ever goals' .......... ideal radio subject matter ............... not. :-)

Jim44
15-11-2012, 06:51 PM
What did he say Jim?

He compared our lofty league position with their lowly position, our extremely well run club with their .... hmmmmm, cough, cough. etc .

euansdad
15-11-2012, 06:54 PM
End of the day, he has to be careful alongside anyone at the club. I bet privately he was laughing up his sleeve

hibsbollah
15-11-2012, 07:01 PM

Any compliments they paid us tonight paled into insignificance against the disgraceful programme I recall just after Fenlon was appointed. That night they got tore into him and his appointment, basically predicting he would be a massive failure. 'There are plenty of good managers in Scotland, why do we have to go to Ireland when we have lots of talented boys here?' was the predictable pish they were talking. Chick Young and Richard Gordon I remember particularly.

Jonnyboy
15-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Any compliments they paid us tonight paled into insignificance against the disgraceful programme I recall just after Fenlon was appointed. That night they got tore into him and his appointment, basically predicting he would be a massive failure. 'There are plenty of good managers in Scotland, why do we have to go to Ireland when we have lots of talented boys here?' was the predictable pish they were talking. Chick Young and Richard Gordon I remember particularly.

I remember that too but I get a real sense of satisfaction knowing that Pat has proved them all wrong :wink:

Heard a snippet of an interview today in which Pat praised his whole squad, saying the guys who train hard every day but don't always make the squad on match day are just as important as those who do. He specifically mentioned Ivan, saying the the effort and dedication put in on the training pitch was a massive credit to the player.

jdships
15-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Having spoken to Ivan on a couple of occasions if he now has sympathy for that mob then he has changed his views dramatically. I don't believe him for a second he is one of us he hates them

Like you I speak with him now and again and agree 100% with what you write.
To be fair any professional footballer has an affinity with other players and I can accept his sympathy for the guys at PBS
They are looking to be possibly out of a job with at best an uncertain future.
For the fans life just goes on as their jobs are safe .

:agree:

monktonharp
16-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Like you I speak with him now and again and agree 100% with what you write.
To be fair any professional footballer has an affinity with other players and I can accept his sympathy for the guys at PBS
They are looking to be possibly out of a job with at best an uncertain future.
For the fans life just goes on as their jobs are safe .

:agree:very true, but he'll only be a proffesional Hibs player for a wee while, you and me on the otherhand will be proffesional Hibs supporters till death us do part. bit like the gorgie mob in a silly sort of way:greengrin

hibsbollah
16-11-2012, 05:56 AM
very true, but he'll only be a proffesional Hibs player for a wee while, you and me on the otherhand will be proffesional Hibs supporters till death us do part. bit like the gorgie mob in a silly sort of way:greengrin

I dunno; from what i hear Ivan is as passionate a Hibs fan as any of us now.

Part/Time Supporter
16-11-2012, 07:23 AM

No doubt the interviewer was hoping that Sproule would say something controversial. I think if we put this together with the binning of the tannoy man, there definitely seems to be a "don't be beastly to the Jambos" policy at the moment.

I suppose the thinking behind this will be two-fold: 1, if they go bust, Hibs would be hoping (eventually) to attract some floating voters; 2, if they survive, Hibs won't want there to be a boycott or somesuch. You're already getting folk saying that Hibs fans shouldn't use businesses that are helping them. It doesn't take a tremendous leap of logic to reach the point where there is an organised boycott.

Twiglet
16-11-2012, 08:01 AM
He talked about his wee boy and asked if he supported Hibs or hearts Ivan laughed and said definitely Hibs.

truehibernian
16-11-2012, 08:13 AM
He talked about his wee boy and asked if he supported Hibs or hearts Ivan laughed and said definitely Hibs.

Or 'Hubz' as Ivan would put it :greengrin

hibsbollah
16-11-2012, 08:56 AM
You're already getting folk saying that Hibs fans shouldn't use businesses that are helping them...

I can't understand this thinking personally:confused: If city cabs want to pour money into Romanovs pockets in a vain attempt to prop up Hertz, thats up to them. I don't know why a Hibs fan should be surprised, offended, or want to punish Citycabs for it.

Hibs FC policy (assuming you're right and it is a conscious policy) of being especially nice and respectful to Hearts publically, is a good policy IMO, for the reasons you've described. The fans can pish ourselves laughing as much as we like, but it's good PR for the club to rise above that (even if some folk are laughing quietly behind their moustaches)

jdships
16-11-2012, 09:00 AM
very true, but he'll only be a proffesional Hibs player for a wee while, you and me on the otherhand will be proffesional Hibs supporters till death us do part. bit like the gorgie mob in a silly sort of way:greengrin

From what I now know Ivan's take on this was directed to 'a bunch of fellow football pro's' .
The fact they play for Hearts doesn't seem to have been his point
He was being sympathetic about a situation over which they had/have no control , for which he is to surely be applauded
Agree with your last line :thumbsup:

s.a.m
16-11-2012, 09:10 AM
That's what I would have said too, despite my fervent wish for them to self-destruct, and never darken our door again. Nothing for him to gain from giving his true, personal opinion (whatever it is) of Hearts' impending demise, other than some kudos amongst Hibs fans. It's why he is better than Skacel.

JimBHibees
16-11-2012, 10:11 AM

and Billy Dudds, Preston and the oh so articulate Derek Ferguson.

hibsbollah
16-11-2012, 10:45 AM

It could have been all of them, I do remember it was a bit of a feeding frenzy going on. I expect that sort of illinformed nonsense from that programme but even by their standards it was bad. Chick Young was almost foaming at the mouth and definitely predicted that Fenlon 'will be a failure'.

So,

:na na:

truehibernian
16-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Have to say, he definitely isn't the most articulate, but Derek Ferguson often just calls it as he sees it with Hibs - him and Stevie Cowan are the only pundits that I have found myself agreeing with when they talk about Hibs and attitude - particularly the body language of players. Both have commented on watching the players after defeats, during warm down, and pay close attention to their attitudes - it's a massive issue with me when I see players laughing and capering after a defeat - I know that's a bit picky, but you'd think they would really hurt or feel bad after a loss and would be conscious that the paying supporter wouldn't take it too well seeing laughing and joking immediately after a loss.

Preston, Robertson and Co - they are just opinionists, much like Chick Young and Traynor - I'd pay more attention to what my son thought about the state of Scottish football than them.

Best, most articulate and most impartial - our very own Craig P.

maturehibby
16-11-2012, 12:15 PM
I am sure this is is a very tongue in cheek comment from the "Legend" as this is the same man who got sent off for stamping on Skatchel in the semi at Hampden and got a free nights drink that night in the Vollie Bar " for doing it ( Volunteer Bar ) in Leith Walk and who allegedly stuck one on Rudi in the tunnel last sunday - maybe he would miss out on hitting Hearts players if they were not there.
Thanks for that comment Ivan and have chuckled over it since

JimBHibees
16-11-2012, 02:03 PM
I am sure this is is a very tongue in cheek comment from the "Legend" as this is the same man who got sent off for stamping on Skatchel in the semi at Hampden and got a free nights drink that night in the Vollie Bar " for doing it ( Volunteer Bar ) in Leith Walk and who allegedly stuck one on Rudi in the tunnel last sunday - maybe he would miss out on hitting Hearts players if they were not there.
Thanks for that comment Ivan and have chuckled over it since

It was Mikolunas

maturehibby
16-11-2012, 02:36 PM
It was Mikolunas

Pity as Ivan would have been an even bigger Legend - the rest is true as he told me and a few Hibees at Bristhat whilst feeling down in the dumps after the game he found himself locked out of his house as his wife had the keys and was out and as he stayed just beside the volunteer arms and was outside waiting when a patron of the pub stepped outside and recognised him and invited him in and on doing so was made very welcome by the large HIbs contingent who were inside and appreciated his dedication to HIbs by getting sent off for "Doing " a Hearts player " .
He also said that from then on the "Vollie" became his local and on a saturday night when the rest of the players went up West he headed for there .

A very down to earth man

Baldy Foghorn
16-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Pity as Ivan would have been an even bigger Legend - the rest is true as he told me and a few Hibees at Bristhat whilst feeling down in the dumps after the game he found himself locked out of his house as his wife had the keys and was out and as he stayed just beside the volunteer arms and was outside waiting when a patron of the pub stepped outside and recognised him and invited him in and on doing so was made very welcome by the large HIbs contingent who were inside and appreciated his dedication to HIbs by getting sent off for "Doing " a Hearts player " .
He also said that from then on the "Vollie" became his local and on a saturday night when the rest of the players went up West he headed for there .

A very down to earth man

Very heartening to hear that IS was out jollying after another shameless performance against them......Exactly the type of player we don't need........

jdships
16-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Very heartening to hear that IS was out jollying after another shameless performance against them......Exactly the type of player we don't need........

Bull****: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.:greengrin:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
16-11-2012, 07:43 PM

Not sure I follow:confused:

euansdad
16-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Just out of interest, I can't recall him scoring against hearts. Quite a few against the Huns and maybe a couple against sellick but none against them. I like sproule so not having a go

jdships
16-11-2012, 07:49 PM

Sorry if my attempt at sarcasm didn't get through :greengrin

Sir David Gray
16-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Don't be fooled by his public utterances.

Ivan Sproule hates Hearts and will just be saying what he's been told to say in public by his bosses.

Craig_in_Prague
16-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Just out of interest, I can't recall him scoring against hearts. Quite a few against the Huns and maybe a couple against sellick but none against them. I like sproule so not having a go

You are right.. In fact, dont recall him doing anything of note (in a positive sense) against them.

Sir David Gray
16-11-2012, 08:24 PM
You are right.. In fact, dont recall him doing anything of note (in a positive sense) against them.

I'm not sure about that.

Putting the boot into Mikoliunas wasn't a bad idea! :wink:

Mr White
16-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Assist for boozys opener in the unbeatable game.

maturehibby
16-11-2012, 10:09 PM
You missed the main point of my story - he was pissed off having been sent off and when he got home was unable to get into his house as he did not have his house keys and his wife was out so was hanging about outside waiting on his wife to come back so as he could get in after a lousy day when he was seen and invited in out of the cold by the regulars who made him very welcome socially and being mainly Hibs fans they all commiserated together -sorry if you did not pick up on how I told the story but it was not a revelation of another Hibs player out on the lash after a defeat as if his wife had been in he would not have been in the "Vollie" and he would not have had it as his regular to go to after the games .
Hope this now clears up any misunderstanding

Northern Hibby
17-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Been told Ivan off to county!

euansdad
17-11-2012, 08:10 AM
You missed the main point of my story - he was pissed off having been sent off and when he got home was unable to get into his house as he did not have his house keys and his wife was out so was hanging about outside waiting on his wife to come back so as he could get in after a lousy day when he was seen and invited in out of the cold by the regulars who made him very welcome socially and being mainly Hibs fans they all commiserated together -sorry if you did not pick up on how I told the story but it was not a revelation of another Hibs player out on the lash after a defeat as if his wife had been in he would not have been in the "Vollie" and he would not have had it as his regular to go to after the games .
Hope this now clears up any misunderstanding

.......and breathe