PDA

View Full Version : Yogi at Hartlepool United (merged)

Pages : [1] 2

Part/Time Supporter
13-11-2012, 05:40 PM
http://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/news/article/131112-hughes-appointed-485182.aspx

Hartlepool United are delighted to announce the appointment of John Hughes as the new First Team Coach at Victoria Park.

The 48-year-old has management experience at the highest level in Scotland having guided Falkirk to the Scottish Premier League in 2005 and led Hibernian to Europa League qualification in 2009.

A former central defender, Hughes played for a host of clubs in Scotland including Celtic, Falkirk and Hibernian, while he also played in the English leagues with Swansea City in the late 1980s.

Hughes has left his role as Manager of Livingston to take up the challenge at The Vic and will be in charge for the first time this weekend when Pools host Coventry City.

"We're convinced we've got the right man in place to take the Club forward," Chief Executive Russ Green commented.

"Everybody knows that this appointment was a crucial one for the Club so we have taken our time, assessed our options and John is the choice we are all extremely happy with.

"He has a vision for the Football Club, he has a passion and a drive to succeed and we hope that the fans will be as excited as we have to have him in place."

Micky Barron is to remain in his role as Reserve Team Manager and will work alongside Hughes in the new set-up.

We'll have more reaction to the appointment here on the Official Website on Wednesday morning.

Future17
13-11-2012, 05:42 PM
http://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/news/article/131112-hughes-appointed-485182.aspx

Good luck to him! :aok:

Billy Whizz
13-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Is Collins taking over as Manager of Livvi?

Golden Bear
13-11-2012, 05:46 PM
It will be interesting to see how Big J will fare down South.

Fair play to him for taking the gamble though.

stoneyburn hibs
13-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Best of luck Yogi , hope you are a success .

BoltonHibee
13-11-2012, 05:48 PM
I thought I read earlier Phil Brown had that gig ( Sky News)

Hiber-nation
13-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Good luck Yogi :aok:

Stevie Reid
13-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Good luck to him.

hibee92
13-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Fantastic bloke. All the best to him :aok:

LALthehibeeGAL
13-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Very brave - the best of luck Yogi

Lal:wink:

Billy Whizz
13-11-2012, 06:16 PM
He'll have his love child Colin Nish, back from loan at Dundee in January

NOLA
13-11-2012, 06:17 PM
bold move by pool, does james Brown still play for them :greengrin

3pm
13-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Watch the move for Griffiths begin!

eebsie
13-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Best of luck to him. He had his faults but no doubting he cared!
Hartlepool bottom just now, maybe they need Kevin McBride?

bathhibby
13-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Yogi is now officially a Monkey Hanger - good luck ya Radge

Northernhibee
13-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Edwin De Graffs phone is ringing off the hook right now :greengrin

DoonTheSlope
13-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Best of luck to the big man.

hibee
13-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Hope he does well there!

fat freddy
13-11-2012, 07:57 PM
will he be taking the entire livingston midfield with him?...hope he does well as i've always followed the monkey hangers fortunes since a stint working in the town many moons ago.

hfc rd
13-11-2012, 08:27 PM
All the best to Yogi.

allezsauzee
13-11-2012, 08:30 PM
I wonder if this will mean big Nishy will be recalled from Dundee?

basehibby
13-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Good luck Yogi :thumbsup:

SMAXXA
13-11-2012, 08:33 PM
I thought I read earlier Phil Brown had that gig ( Sky News)

Aye seen that aswell, bit of a shock but good luck to the big man hope he's a massive success. No chance of him rading hibs as no one good enough would go there.

euansdad
13-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Best wishes to him only as long as we don't meet Hartlepool in the champions league final one day!

Bostonhibby
13-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Did Rod ensure we had a sell on clause? :duck: If not there will be questions at the AGM.

shetlandhibee
13-11-2012, 09:54 PM
My hearts friend supports Hartpool he'll be very happy when he hears this wonderful news:greengrin

silverhibee
13-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Best wishes to him only as long as we don't meet Hartlepool in the champions league final one day!

Strange thing to say is it not. :aok:

Only the big team play in that Cup. :wink:

Bostonhibby
13-11-2012, 10:03 PM
My hearts friend supports Hartpool he'll be very happy when he hears this wonderful news:greengrin

Him, and jeff Stelling - who are the other 25? joking aside - I hope Yogi pushes on from here and maybe thinks about what he is about to say before he says it - oh, and leave EDG where he is, wherever he is - he might have looked good on a blurry video from the 90's but..........

Iain G
14-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Good luck to him! :aok:

Good luck to them more like... :devil:

sambajustice
14-11-2012, 07:45 AM
County Durham fowk ken whits goan oan!!!

HibbySpurs
14-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Best of luck Yogi, hope it works out for him, always a Hibs playing legend:aok:

Sylar
14-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Is Collins taking over as Manager of Livvi?

Initial suggestion is no, but he will have a big say in who replaces Hughes.

A few names doing the rounds are Lee Makel, Gareth Evans or Paul Hartley.

tamig
14-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Initial suggestion is no, but he will have a big say in who replaces Hughes.

A few names doing the rounds are Lee Makel, Gareth Evans or Paul Hartley.
Gareth's in temp charge.

Reading the article from the Hartlepool website it mentions that Yogi has "a vision for the football club." I seem to recall a similar line when he took over here. Anyway, good luck to him.

Pretty Boy
14-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Good luck to him.

And a word of advice, laughing and joking after throwing away a 4 goal lead are unlikely to increase your popularity.

Speedway
14-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Good luck to him.

And a word of advice, laughing and joking after throwing away a 4 goal lead are unlikely to increase your popularity.

I bet Yogi will give it a right good go and try and sprinkle some goldust on Nish to make sure he puts his boiler suit on and gets at himself.

HibeeMG
14-11-2012, 01:27 PM
He's just given an interview on SSN.

He was bigging himself up a wee bit too much but spoke very well. Good luck to him.

tamig
14-11-2012, 02:59 PM
i wonder what players will make up his "mavericks" at Hartlepool.

Sir David Gray
14-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Good luck to him, in the end things didn't really work out for him with us but there's no doubting his enthusiasm and his dedication to each job that he has.

Hope he does well.

iwasthere1972
14-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Good Luck Yogi. Didn't work out for you at Hibs but it didn't for many others either.

thebakerboy
02-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Goal scorers for Hartlepool Poole and Hartley.

The_Todd
02-02-2013, 04:38 PM

Unbeliveable, Jeff.

Wilson
02-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Fenlon out, Yogi in.

hfc rd
02-02-2013, 04:52 PM

Crazy that but very funny.

scuttle
02-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Pity we dont have two players called IAN and HIBERN

theonlywayisup
02-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Goal scorers today - Hartley, Poole.

Spooky!

HNA4
02-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Already posted...

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?256233-Hartlepool-United-2-Notts-County-1

theonlywayisup
02-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Oops, just noticed there is another thread. Admins, can you merge?

From Hartlepool's website:
John Hughes admitted he would enjoy his first Victoria Park win but insisted that the work would start again on Monday as Pools look to plot a route clear of the bottom four.Goals from James Poole and Peter Hartley gave Pools a crucial 2-1 triumph over Notts County and reduced the gap to safety to eight points with seventeen games to play.

And the Pools boss said that an hour-long team meeting held at the training ground on Friday has helped to focus minds for the huge task which lies ahead.

"It was important to get that monkey off our back in terms of the home victory," he toldPools Player (http://www.player.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/latest-news).

"It's been a long time since we won at home so to overcome that was important. We'll go and enjoy it tonight but we have to dust ourselves down and go again on Monday - we've not won the Cup Final, we've only won one of them and we have another 17 to go.

"We said in a team meeting on Friday that it's not always the best team that wins a football match - but if we're solid and resolute and playing with a great passion and pride then that what it takes.

"Once we showed that passion, effort, commitment, tackling and hounding the fans got right behind us and it will have to be like that now for the rest of the season - we have our part to play and so do the supporters and we're grateful for their backing today.

"There's no point shying away from it anymore - we've put ourselves in this position so we have to be man enough to go and get ourselves out of it.

"We won't get carried away but I'm just delighted that we got the win and there is a positivity about the place - back to back wins and the fans roaring us on, long may that continue."

HNA4
02-02-2013, 07:07 PM
I've moved your second post in this thread to the previous one.

blackpoolhibs
02-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Oops, just noticed there is another thread. Admins, can you merge?

From Hartlepool's website:
John Hughes admitted he would enjoy his first Victoria Park win but insisted that the work would start again on Monday as Pools look to plot a route clear of the bottom four.Goals from James Poole and Peter Hartley gave Pools a crucial 2-1 triumph over Notts County and reduced the gap to safety to eight points with seventeen games to play.

And the Pools boss said that an hour-long team meeting held at the training ground on Friday has helped to focus minds for the huge task which lies ahead.

"It was important to get that monkey off our back in terms of the home victory," he toldPools Player (http://www.player.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/latest-news).

"It's been a long time since we won at home so to overcome that was important. We'll go and enjoy it tonight but we have to dust ourselves down and go again on Monday - we've not won the Cup Final, we've only won one of them and we have another 17 to go.

"We said in a team meeting on Friday that it's not always the best team that wins a football match - but if we're solid and resolute and playing with a great passion and pride then that what it takes.

"Once we showed that passion, effort, commitment, tackling and hounding the fans got right behind us and it will have to be like that now for the rest of the season - we have our part to play and so do the supporters and we're grateful for their backing today.

"There's no point shying away from it anymore - we've put ourselves in this position so we have to be man enough to go and get ourselves out of it.

"We won't get carried away but I'm just delighted that we got the win and there is a positivity about the place - back to back wins and the fans roaring us on, long may that continue."

:faf:

theonlywayisup
02-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Cheers HNA4 :aok:

MontrealHibs
02-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Wet myself at the monkey comment too!

BS44
26-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Looks like Hughes is performing some sort of minor miracle down at Hartlepool and they are in with a fighting chance of staying up. He has been really unlucky tonight, Hartlepool won but so did the three teams directly above them, Bury, Colchester and S****horpe.

S****horpe :tee hee:

danhibees1875
26-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Looks like Hughes is performing some sort of minor miracle down at Hartlepool and they are in with a fighting chance of staying up. He has been really unlucky tonight, Hartlepool won but so did the three teams directly above them, Bury, Colchester and S****horpe.

He wasn't popular amongst the hartlepool fans but they've certainly been on a great run of form recently. :agree:

PatHead
26-02-2013, 08:52 PM

S****horpe :tee hee:

Just as well they won then.

stoneyburn hibs
26-02-2013, 08:54 PM
He wasn't popular amongst the hartlepool fans but they've certainly been on a great run of form recently. :agree:

Is he winning them over now ?

danhibees1875
27-02-2013, 07:23 AM
Is he winning them over now ?

Last time I checked - about 2 weeks ago - opinion was split.. Despite being on a good run of form.

Many seem to just have it in for him. I went down with a mate to watch the hartlepool v orient game- they played quite good football and his substitutions changed the game and they got 2 late goals to win it - half their fans still refused to praise yogi.

They've continued to pick up points since then and I would imagine atleast a few have changed their opinion.

stoneyburn hibs
27-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Last time I checked - about 2 weeks ago - opinion was split.. Despite being on a good run of form.

Many seem to just have it in for him. I went down with a mate to watch the hartlepool v orient game- they played quite good football and his substitutions changed the game and they got 2 late goals to win it - half their fans still refused to praise yogi.

They've continued to pick up points since then and I would imagine atleast a few have changed their opinion.

Still time for him to save them from the drop , good luck to him.

The_Horde
27-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Aye good luck to yogi. Sure he'll give it a right good go!

LeighLoyal
27-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Not a huge fan but proving the perfect guy for that kind of scenario, he'll frighten the life out them.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Its a bit annoying having to listen to Jeff explode on Soccer Saturday when they score, especially if you've backed against them on the coupon.

SMAXXA
27-02-2013, 10:16 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21532356

3pm
27-02-2013, 10:43 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21532356

Good read.

Never a fan of his but you have to admire his attitude.

Kenny1875
27-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Fenlon out, Yogi in?

lapsedhibee
01-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Says so here, in a quality broadsheet. (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/martin-hardy-john-hughes-the-dockers-son-who-may-just-keep-sinking-hartlepool-afloat-8515809.html)

Saorsa
01-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Says so here, in a quality broadsheet. (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/martin-hardy-john-hughes-the-dockers-son-who-may-just-keep-sinking-hartlepool-afloat-8515809.html)Did John Hughes write it?

GoldenEagle
01-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Says so here, in a quality broadsheet. (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/martin-hardy-john-hughes-the-dockers-son-who-may-just-keep-sinking-hartlepool-afloat-8515809.html)

In the past, enjoyed some good and some not so good times with Hughes. No need castigate or go over old wounds again IMO.

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2013, 05:56 PM
We don't qualify for Europe very often, that was a successful time for the club. :top marks

bingo70
01-03-2013, 06:00 PM
He did well to get us into Europe, as Blackpool says not many managers have managed that so he deserves credit for it, he wasn't able to maintain that though so he was rightly sacked as we were in freefall when he left.

Overall though I'd say he did an alright job, wouldn't say a great success though.

lapsedhibee
01-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Am I missing something? As far as I can see the 'great success' thing is a quote from Hughes himself so is the sarcastic comment about the quality of the paper really all that relevant?

:confused:

Just bringing the article to everyone's attention as the Indie doesn't have a high circulation and ex-Hibbies don't get much national coverage. It's not a brilliant article though the Indie's a very good paper, and I didn't mind him as manager even though he slavered some amount of pesh.

Iain G
01-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Just bringing the article to everyone's attention as the Indie doesn't have a high circulation and ex-Hibbies don't get much national coverage. It's not a brilliant article though the Indie's a very good paper, and I didn't mind him as manager even though he slavered some amount of pesh.

He always slavered a good game but maybe partial or fleeting success would be more accurate to describe his time with us?!

Matty_Jack04
01-03-2013, 07:31 PM
He did well to get us into Europe, as Blackpool says not many managers have managed that so he deserves credit for it, he wasn't able to maintain that though so he was rightly sacked as we were in freefall when he left.

Overall though I'd say he did an alright job, wouldn't say a great success though.

Not many managers can talk about having the worst ever run of results at home either

lapsedhibee
01-03-2013, 08:20 PM
He always slavered a good game but maybe partial or fleeting success would be more accurate to describe his time with us?!

Aye, he did have some success.

The thing that puzzled me the most was his apparent objection to a fullback just getting the ball and hoofing it straight up the park. My abiding memory of the Yogi years was watching fullback pass to centre back, centre back pass to other centre back, other centre back pass to other fullback, and then other fullback hoofing it up the park. Same result with a built-in 30-40 second delay.

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Manager of the month. :timebomb:

Funkydunc
15-03-2013, 11:42 AM
I knew we let him go too early.

bingo70
15-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Good luck to him. Did a fairly decent job for us but wasn't able to sustain it so left at the right time. No doubting his commitment to the job when he was here though so I don't hold any grudge against him.

Calderwood on the other hand, now there's a ****

Hibbyradge
15-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Leadership folk ken whit's going on. :agree:

Dashing Bob S
15-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Good luck to him. Did a fairly decent job for us but wasn't able to sustain it so left at the right time. No doubting his commitment to the job when he was here though so I don't hold any grudge against him.

hear, hear.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-03-2013, 08:48 PM

:agree:

Houchy
15-03-2013, 08:51 PM

Totally agree buddy.

Hibercelona
15-03-2013, 08:53 PM

Did he not win that award when he was here?

Still early days. :wink:

Bostonhibby
15-03-2013, 08:55 PM

Which month? Multiple choice question: green grin

heretoday
15-03-2013, 10:04 PM
He's a lovely old chap. Not a great manager though.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2013, 10:07 PM

Pretty much this.

scuttle
15-03-2013, 10:09 PM

Yip a pretty fair shout

sesoim
15-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Hughes lumbered us with a big load of duds and didn't have a plan b when we started getting humped by loads of teams (have you all forgotten?). CC came in and just kept the trend going. Really, Fenlon couldn't have done any worse than them two.

wazoo1875
15-03-2013, 10:14 PM

Spot on Beans

Up The Bracket
15-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Fenlon out Yogi In :agree:

Kato
15-03-2013, 10:41 PM

Seen it all before.

(Flash-in-the-pan folk ken what's gawn oan.)

IWasThere2016
20-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Seen it all before.

(Flash-in-the-pan folk ken what's gawn oan.)

Indeed - sinking like a stone now. Seven points adrift of safety - he'll be signing on again by Christmas.

Hibrandenburg
20-03-2013, 06:54 AM
Nobody can question his commitment, but I watched the most eye bleedingly negative game I''ve ever had the displeasure of seeing under him as manager. I never want Hibs to play like that again.

Part/Time Supporter
20-03-2013, 07:15 AM
Hartlepool have since gone five without a win and are almost certain to be relegated after all.

Phil D. Rolls
20-03-2013, 07:27 AM

The man is a walking cliche generator. Love the way he changes Hibs history to fit his - "working class club". That'll be in contrast to all those middle class clubs out there.

I think in working class terms, Yogi is a labourer, and Hibs are artisans. The fact that he went for graft over craft was what led so many to turn against him.

(ps Hibs are not working class, they are not middle class, they are world class.)

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Nobody can question his commitment, but I watched the most eye bleedingly negative game I''ve ever had the displeasure of seeing under him as manager. I never want Hibs to play like that again.

Maribor away?

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Maribor away?

I know, imagine a Hibs manager having the cheek to get Hibs into Europe. :na na:

Hibrandenburg
20-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Maribor away?

No, the Yams at tincastle.

Hibs team were set up like a rugby lineout and our keeper just hoofed the ball down the middle every time. Had some German mates over and was embarrassed tae ****. No width, no plan B and no clue what to do when the ball came straight back at us. My German mates described it politely as "Primitive".

J-C
20-03-2013, 08:30 AM
I know, imagine a Hibs manager having the cheek to get Hibs into Europe. :na na:

Yogi was like a game of two halves, from January we went on a slippery slope and unfortunately he didn't know how to stop it, yes we sneaked 4th but only just when in reality we should've peed it. The summer signings were a disaster and made the team worse instead of better, he's had a tiny bit of success wherever he's been but I'm glad he's still not here or Div 1 would be our norm.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Nish up front on his own with Stokes and Riordan on the bench made for an enthralling evenings entertainment in the pishing rain of Slovenia right enough.

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Yogi was like a game of two halves, from January we went on a slippery slope and unfortunately he didn't know how to stop it, yes we sneaked 4th but only just when in reality we should've peed it. The summer signings were a disaster and made the team worse instead of better, he's had a tiny bit of success wherever he's been but I'm glad he's still not here or Div 1 would be our norm.

Aye sneaked 4th, thats become a fact now, i'd take a sneaked 4th place every season. And as for that being a tiny bit of success, i witness us have these tiny bits off success all too little. :rolleyes:

FFS a european spot counts for nothing these days, when did we get so bloody up ourselves that qualification for europe meant so little? :confused:

And as for us being a division 1 side, thats only an opinion nothing more than an opinion. Maybe he'd have got us back to 4th place again, who knows? Thats an opinion too.

I'm glad we have Pat fenlon now, and hope he can give us some tiny pieces of success in the future too.

Treadstone
20-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Aye sneaked 4th, thats become a fact now, i'd take a sneaked 4th place every season. And as for that being a tiny bit of success, i witness us have these tiny bits off success all too little. :rolleyes:

FFS a european spot counts for nothing these days, when did we get so bloody up ourselves that qualification for europe meant so little? :confused:

And as for us being a division 1 side, thats only an opinion nothing more than an opinion. Maybe he'd have got us back to 4th place again, who knows? Thats an opinion too.

I'm glad we have Pat fenlon now, and hope he can give us some tiny pieces of success in the future too.

Nice revisionist piece but doesn't ring true. Yogi was sacked/mutual consented because he couldn't arrest an alarming slide. One that was of a team heading in only one direction - relegation. After a tremendous start to his Hibs career, his league reign after 22 games was a stratospheric (for us) 1.91 pts a game(PPG).

From then til the end of the season, a decent sample of at least 15+ games for all clubs, his PPG went to 0.75, by far the worst and even less than the relegated Falkirk that year. A stat that if had been carried for a full season would have seen us relegated 4 pts adrift of the next best.

Petrie gave Yogi the chance to right the ship,and rightly so in my book after all we DID make Europe. However the slide was even more pronounced at the start of the next season. Our PPG had dropped to 0.71 this grouped with the poor signings and timing, international matches meaning a fortnight to find another manager meant only one thing for Yogi.

Maybe Yogi would've taken us back up to fourth, I don't know, but the facts lay substantial doubt that would be the case.

For what its worth this is not meant to stick the boot into Yogi rather just align the stats as to why his Hibs stewardship ended.

Now Calderwood, don't get me started on that bast...

Peevemor
20-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Nice revisionist piece but doesn't ring true. Yogi was sacked/mutual consented because he couldn't arrest an alarming slide. One that was of a team heading in only one direction - relegation. After a tremendous start to his Hibs career, his league reign after 22 games was a stratospheric (for us) 1.91 pts a game(PPG).

From then til the end of the season, a decent sample of at least 15+ games for all clubs, his PPG went to 0.75, by far the worst and even less than the relegated Falkirk that year. A stat that if had been carried for a full season would have seen us relegated 4 pts adrift of the next best.

Petrie gave Yogi the chance to right the ship,and rightly so in my book after all we DID make Europe. However the slide was even more pronounced at the start of the next season. Our PPG had dropped to 0.71 this grouped with the poor signings and timing, international matches meaning a fortnight to find another manager meant only one thing for Yogi.

Maybe Yogi would've taken us back up to fourth, I don't know, but the facts lay substantial doubt that would be the case.

For what its worth this is not meant to stick the boot into Yogi rather just align the stats as to why his Hibs stewardship ended.

Good post.

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2013, 11:12 AM

I disagree, he did achieve 4th place and i also agree he deserved to go, but when you see who replaced him i'd rather we stuck with Hughes.

He might have taken us down, but i dont think he would have. I think he'd have done better than Calderclown, but again like your post thats just a guess.

lapsedhibee
20-03-2013, 11:38 AM

...ion of confectionery-based metaphors?

IWasThere2016
20-03-2013, 11:46 AM

:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
20-03-2013, 11:48 AM
I disagree, he did achieve 4th place and i also agree he deserved to go, but when you see who replaced him i'd rather we stuck with Hughes.

He might have taken us down, but i dont think he would have. I think he'd have done better than Calderclown, but again like your post thats just a guess.

I agree. Hughes was decent, and deserves praise for that, then the roof feel in on his regime and he simply had to go. Although the problems at the club ran deeper than him, his style of management obviously exacerbated rather than healed them. So it was fitting he left. He might have been incompetent in the second half of his spell, but as east he cared. Probably too much - he couldn't sit back at look at the big picture.

But to compare this a guy who couldn't give a flying *uck from day one, is absolutely ludicrous. To manage to find a manager who was both utterly clueless, and didn't want to even be here in the first place, takes some perverse powers of selection. I wouldn't have wished that muppet on Hearts - no, that's too much, I would utterly wish him on them.

lord bunberry
20-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Nish up front on his own with Stokes and Riordan on the bench made for an enthralling evenings entertainment in the pishing rain of Slovenia right enough.

That decision sealed his fate imo. How he ever thought that nish up front on his own in europe against a decent team was a good idea only he will know

Treadstone
20-03-2013, 12:02 PM

I disagree, Calderwood took over Yogis' team less the recently sold Stokes (a big player for us) and improved the PPG to 0.97 from Yogis start of season 0.75, or from his team that had been on a dramatic slide with Stokes in the team 0.74 (much bigger sample size).

However never let it be said that I am defending Calderwoods record, he didn't pass the eye test in my estimation. Clueless teams and a clueless manager. Lets not cloud ourselves to Yogis shortcomings either, took over a better situation than Calderwood and initially done well. When the chips were down though couldn't stop the downward momentum.

I was trying to think of a more Jekyll and Hyde team in a small space of time, can only think of one that may resemble that and its Ipswich 2000-2002. Finished fifth in 00-01 with 66pts and relegated (18th) 01-02 with 36pts. Their actual drop-off in PPG is not as pronounced as Yogis Hibs.

Yogi presided over a calamitous run of form, that Calderwood couldn't get us back to where we were before said run says much for his managerial ability as that of Hughes, of which he had a better recent record PPG than Yogi had with an inferior squad.

Neither was up to the job in my opinion and both actually fell a long way short of what a Hibernian manager should be in my book.

Treadstone
20-03-2013, 12:04 PM

IWasThere2016
20-03-2013, 02:11 PM
I disagree, Calderwood took over Yogis' team less the recently sold Stokes (a big player for us) and improved the PPG to 0.97 from Yogis start of season 0.75, or from his team that had been on a dramatic slide with Stokes in the team 0.74 (much bigger sample size).

However never let it be said that I am defending Calderwoods record, he didn't pass the eye test in my estimation. Clueless teams and a clueless manager. Lets not cloud ourselves to Yogis shortcomings either, took over a better situation than Calderwood and initially done well. When the chips were down though couldn't stop the downward momentum.

I was trying to think of a more Jekyll and Hyde team in a small space of time, can only think of one that may resemble that and its Ipswich 2000-2002. Finished fifth in 00-01 with 66pts and relegated (18th) 01-02 with 36pts. Their actual drop-off in PPG is not as pronounced as Yogis Hibs.

Yogi presided over a calamitous run of form, that Calderwood couldn't get us back to where we were before said run says much for his managerial ability as that of Hughes, of which he had a better recent record PPG than Yogi had with an inferior squad.

Neither was up to the job in my opinion and both actually fell a long way short of what a Hibernian manager should be in my book.

Despite CC finishing higher than where Yogi left us, or indeed higher than PF had us finish - your last sentence says it all. Pat Fenlon is a vast improvement on both - and I'm sure we will all agree come the last Sunday in May :wink:

:pfgwa

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2013, 02:24 PM
And when Fenlon leads us to 4th or better and takes us into Europe, he will then have had as much success as Yogi did.

Treadstone
20-03-2013, 02:45 PM
And when Fenlon leads us to 4th or better and takes us into Europe, he will then have had as much success as Yogi did.

I'd take 10th(or 11th if Yamistration happens) and the cup.:thumbsup:

J-C
20-03-2013, 03:20 PM

G, please stop with the Yogi got us 4th spot, it's growing tired.

Yes Hughes managed to get us 4th and into Europe and that we are thankful but don't blind yourself to the facts that we collapsed so dramatically that year that we almost threw it away, there was some serious questions coming from the dressing room regarding his managerial style towards youngsters and his favouritism towards others. His summer signing were very questionable and instead of moving forward we were moving further back.

Don't get me started on Calderwood as my blood pressure couldn't take it :greengrin

So far I'm happy with Pat, slightly stronger squad, bit more steel here and there but still decidedly average at the moment, the league table doesn't lie. He's only had 2 windows ( january is crap to get decent players ) to form his squad and needs until at least after the summer to hopefully add to this squad. We have Craig coming but we all know when the loans go he's gonna need another 5-6 players at least and I don't know if we have the money to do that, I do worry about our team after the summer.

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2013, 03:45 PM
G, please stop with the Yogi got us 4th spot, it's growing tired.

Yes Hughes managed to get us 4th and into Europe and that we are thankful but don't blind yourself to the facts that we collapsed so dramatically that year that we almost threw it away, there was some serious questions coming from the dressing room regarding his managerial style towards youngsters and his favouritism towards others. His summer signing were very questionable and instead of moving forward we were moving further back.

Don't get me started on Calderwood as my blood pressure couldn't take it :greengrin

So far I'm happy with Pat, slightly stronger squad, bit more steel here and there but still decidedly average at the moment, the league table doesn't lie. He's only had 2 windows ( january is crap to get decent players ) to form his squad and needs until at least after the summer to hopefully add to this squad. We have Craig coming but we all know when the loans go he's gonna need another 5-6 players at least and I don't know if we have the money to do that, I do worry about our team after the summer.

There we have it in one sentence, we'd rather look at the bad times and dismiss the good ones. I want Pat to do well, i think he will do well, in fact i'm begging him to do well. Although until such times, the last decent bit of success was when we finished 4th and qualified for Europe.

And when we start doing that a wee bit more often than sightings of Haileys comet, i will enjoy it, and call it a little bit more than a tiny bit of success.

Beefster
20-03-2013, 04:35 PM

If Fenlon has us finishing in the top six this season, that will be more of an achievement than Hughes finishing fourth, given where they both started.

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2013, 06:19 PM
If Fenlon has us finishing in the top six this season, that will be more of an achievement than Hughes finishing fourth, given where they both started.

Not for me, 4th place is success, 5th or 6th is not.

erin go bragh
20-03-2013, 09:21 PM
PF is one game away from leading us to back to back SC finals :cb

Id say thats more impressive than 4th .

ggtth

J-C
20-03-2013, 10:16 PM
There we have it in one sentence, we'd rather look at the bad times and dismiss the good ones. I want Pat to do well, i think he will do well, in fact i'm begging him to do well. Although until such times, the last decent bit of success was when we finished 4th and qualified for Europe.

And when we start doing that a wee bit more often than sightings of Haileys comet, i will enjoy it, and call it a little bit more than a tiny bit of success.

Unfortunately too many bad ones than good G.

Had a wee look at Yogi's season, up until January we had 14 wins, 5 losses and 6 draws...........................from Feb to May we had.........4 wins, 11 losses and 4 draws.

I don't see that as success, I see that as hellova glad we got points on the board 1st half or we'd be in Div 1 under Hughes, hence why he was gone soon after.

To me success is being better than where we were before the new manager took over, I can see progress and like what he's been saying but hopefully we can have the stability we've lacked to see it through. If the board can get him some dosh and his signings are better, then hopefully the future will be brighter.

sleeping giant
20-03-2013, 10:23 PM

Excellent post :flag:

Sir David Gray
20-03-2013, 11:31 PM

Depends on how you define "success" though.

Considering where we were this time last year and that we came extremely close to being relegated last year, if we get into the top six then I would say that has been an achievement in Fenlon's first full season in charge.

I would hope that no-one at the club would consider that just getting into the top six is a long term achievement for a club like Hibs though and I would hope most people would be looking for us to finish in the top four for the majority of the time.

Bearing in mind how this season has gone, we should certainly be looking to push into the top four next year, regardless of whether we get top six this year or not.

Fenlon took over one of the worst Hibs sides I have ever seen, the club was at its lowest point for many years at the time of his appointment and it's taken a long time just to try and build the club back up again. I wouldn't underestimate the job that he has had on his hands since being appointed and although he's certainly not got everything spot on, I am a lot more hopeful of the future than I was 12-15 months ago.

Cameron1875
21-03-2013, 01:30 AM
He wasted pretty much a whole seasons worth of effort to get into Europe by deciding to play Nish up front on his own against Maribor instead of Riordan and Stokes. IIRC Maribor were absolutely cacking themselves and were making all sort of plans to deal with 2 strikers who scored around 40 goals combined. They must have been rubbing their hands together when they saw all they had to deal with was Nish.

Also his 'experiment' of getting the 2 centre backs to play miles apart whilst Kevin Mcbride played as a kind of centre back who would recieve the ball of the goalie was absolutely mental.

Shocking tactics and not a good enough manager for a club that wants to achieve anything. Only Hibs could then replace him with someone even worse but I don't want to get started on that!

Steve-O
21-03-2013, 07:12 AM
The Calderwood appointment is hard to fathom. How on earth did this unenthusiastic buffoon persuade Petrie to hire him?? At least Yogi talked a good game!

Liams
21-03-2013, 07:20 AM
This is a funny one.. The first half of the season i thought yogi was amazing; getting us stokes, deeeks and liam miller who where all decent signings.. We went on a great run and were baw hairs close to the OF but i feeel it got to much for him. I remember football focus done a segment on him and us and you could just tell he loved hibs. But he was also giving a team that had decent flare players ie zememma. But as sooon as we were building the new stand we turned into a diffrent team and i think we were lucky to get 4th but we deserved that for that season.

marinello59
21-03-2013, 07:31 AM
He wasted pretty much a whole seasons worth of effort to get into Europe by deciding to play Nish up front on his own against Maribor instead of Riordan and Stokes. IIRC Maribor were absolutely cacking themselves and were making all sort of plans to deal with 2 strikers who scored around 40 goals combined. They must have been rubbing their hands together when they saw all they had to deal with was Nish.

Also his 'experiment' of getting the 2 centre backs to play miles apart whilst Kevin Mcbride played as a kind of centre back who would recieve the ball of the goalie was absolutely mental.

Shocking tactics and not a good enough manager for a club that wants to achieve anything. Only Hibs could then replace him with someone even worse but I don't want to get started on that!

Maribor were streets ahead of us technically and beating them was always going to be a tough call. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, prior to playing them there was a good case to be made for only going with one up front. I don't recall any hint of Maribor cacking themselves at the time, more a case of many Hibs fans dismissing them as not very good before we played them. They haven't done to badly in Europe since they played us have they?

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Depends on how you define "success" though.

Considering where we were this time last year and that we came extremely close to being relegated last year, if we get into the top six then I would say that has been an achievement in Fenlon's first full season in charge.

I would hope that no-one at the club would consider that just getting into the top six is a long term achievement for a club like Hibs though and I would hope most people would be looking for us to finish in the top four for the majority of the time.

Bearing in mind how this season has gone, we should certainly be looking to push into the top four next year, regardless of whether we get top six this year or not.

Fenlon took over one of the worst Hibs sides I have ever seen, the club was at its lowest point for many years at the time of his appointment and it's taken a long time just to try and build the club back up again. I wouldn't underestimate the job that he has had on his hands since being appointed and although he's certainly not got everything spot on, I am a lot more hopeful of the future than I was 12-15 months ago.

Its not difficult, Win a cup and qualification for Europe, anything else is not success. There really is no other definition of success at Hibs? :confused:

Hibrandenburg
21-03-2013, 07:45 AM
This is a funny one.. The first half of the season i thought yogi was amazing; getting us stokes, deeeks and liam miller who where all decent signings.. We went on a great run and were baw hairs close to the OF but i feeel it got to much for him. I remember football focus done a segment on him and us and you could just tell he loved hibs. But he was also giving a team that had decent flare players ie zememma. But as sooon as we were building the new stand we turned into a diffrent team and i think we were lucky to get 4th but we deserved that for that season.

Yogic got sussed out by other teams. That's about the long and short of it.

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2013, 07:56 AM

That may well be true, but like the Derek Riordan threads, we seem to have many supporters who post here, who'd rather concentrate on their bad points, rather than the good they gave us?

I will never understand that. :confused:

Andy74
21-03-2013, 08:01 AM

There were other things though.

Zemmama, Stack, Hogg and McBride all getting injured long term. Bamba going away mid season and coming back a different player.

The East getting pulled down changed ER.

Pitches in the SPL were on the worst state for years that winter on and it didn't suit the players we had.

That shocking run of home form needs to be looked at in perspective. We only lost to Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Dundee Utd and maybe Aberdeen. Not too unusual in terms of those teams and CC moved that on to getting gubbed by bottom six teams.

During the period generally accepted as dire we won at Parkhead, Tannasive, scored six away to Motherwell ( he he) and also won away at Motherwell again early the next season. Then we sold Stokes as well.

There was a wee bit more to it than Hughes supposedly not having a clue.

lord bunberry
21-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Maribor were streets ahead of us technically and beating them was always going to be a tough call. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, prior to playing them there was a good case to be made for only going with one up front. I don't recall any hint of Maribor cacking themselves at the time, more a case of many Hibs fans dismissing them as not very good before we played them. They haven't done to badly in Europe since they played us have they?

Their manager was quoted after the game over there that he had been expecting stokes and riordan to be playing and was delighted when they didn't. I'm not sure they were cacking it but they were certainly wary of what we had up front

Kato
21-03-2013, 08:07 AM
There was a wee bit more to it than Hughes supposedly not having a clue.

Yeah. He also didn't have any ideas.

Treadstone
21-03-2013, 08:08 AM
17pts from last 69 available as Hibs manager. Relegation form.

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2013, 08:23 AM

We were sitting in a hotel bar on the morning of the match, and that dafty reporter who's name escapes me came in and filmed a piece for the news that night.

During the filming, he told us what he believed to be the team. And it was the same team that started. Hibbyradge and the rest of us had a discussion with, HibbyD, Ronaldo7 and his son Craig and some others who i didn't know on the merits of playing 1 up front.

Its fair to say it was half and half on the decision, but as you say hindsight is a wonderful thing, not everyone was against that formation at the time, but it seems everyone is now. :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
21-03-2013, 08:46 AM
It's Mixu I feel sorry for: inherited a mutinous squad in disarray, punted after a 6th place (admittedly dull but with back to back derby wins) that looked as though he had at least stabilised things. Ridiculously short term panic merchant decision.

lord bunberry
21-03-2013, 10:09 AM
We were sitting in a hotel bar on the morning of the match, and that dafty reporter who's name escapes me came in and filmed a piece for the news that night.

During the filming, he told us what he believed to be the team. And it was the same team that started. Hibbyradge and the rest of us had a discussion with, HibbyD, Ronaldo7 and his son Craig and some others who i didn't know on the merits of playing 1 up front.

Its fair to say it was half and half on the decision, but as you say hindsight is a wonderful thing, not everyone was against that formation at the time, but it seems everyone is now. :greengrin

It wasn't so much the formation that bothered me it was the fact that he used nish as through loan striker when we had 2 better goalscorers on the bench

Treadstone
21-03-2013, 11:17 AM
It's Mixu I feel sorry for: inherited a mutinous squad in disarray, punted after a 6th place (admittedly dull but with back to back derby wins) that looked as though he had at least stabilised things. Ridiculously short term panic merchant decision.

Mixu was treated abysmally by fans and club alike. That it never shows when he fills the pundit role gives the big man great credit and a Yam killer to boot.

truehibernian
21-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Mixu was treated abysmally by fans and club alike. That it never shows when he fills the pundit role gives the big man great credit and a Yam killer to boot.

Because he still loves Hibs and the club - he's a sensible guy who knows the emotive environment he worked/works in.

The reaction to Derek's penalty at Tynie is all that fans need to see and know when Mixu's feelings for Hibs are questioned.

IWasThere2016
25-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Because he still loves Hibs and the club - he's a sensible guy who knows the emotive environment he worked/works in.

The reaction to Derek's penalty at Tynie is all that fans need to see and know when Mixu's feelings for Hibs are questioned.

He did have the odd moment with the Press and refs however. He also persisted with that diamond for too long also IMHO. He did well post-Hibs at Killie.

Not so Yogi it seems - open letters and Hughes must go threads here: http://www.pooliebunker.co.uk/newbunker/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48933

There's a cracking line in there -

What is the difference between John Hughes and an airfix model with no adhesive?

One is a glueless kit :greengrin

FranckSuzy
25-03-2013, 12:26 PM
He did have the odd moment with the Press and refs however. He also persisted with that diamond for too long also IMHO. He did well post-Hibs at Killie.

Not so Yogi it seems - open letters and Hughes must go threads here: http://www.pooliebunker.co.uk/newbunker/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48933

There's a cracking line in there -

What is the difference between John Hughes and an airfix model with no adhesive?

One is a glueless kit :greengrin

'Hughes continuing to talk this lot up is like two skeletons trying for a baby in a biscuit tin, there'll be plenty of noise, but there'll be no positive outcome'. :faf:

IWasThere2016
25-03-2013, 01:51 PM
'Hughes continuing to talk this lot up is like two skeletons trying for a baby in a biscuit tin, there'll be plenty of noise, but there'll be no positive outcome'. :faf:

:agree: A belter

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Still the last manager to bring success to the club, and as usual, the same folk concentrating on the negatives. :rolleyes:

Treadstone
25-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Still the last manager to bring success to the club, and as usual, the same folk concentrating on the negatives. :rolleyes:

Aye that good four months kept us warm during the next nine months of garbage.:aok:

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Aye that good four months kept us warm during the next nine months of garbage.:aok:

Except it was not 9 months was it? those close season months were obviously hell for you, and we did win at Dundee Utd and draw away at Motherwell, then win at Motherwell the season he was sacked.

Nobody is saying we did not hit a slump, but we have support who instead of celebrating the good that happens, would rather panic and predict a bad time and dwell on the bad times.

The slump was not all bad, there were decent results in that 9 months, just not enough to keep him in a job.

Andy74
25-03-2013, 02:16 PM

I think it was about 7 good months followed by about 5 not so good.

Baldy Foghorn
25-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Brian McGlaughlin?

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Brian McGlaughlin?

Could have been him. :agree:

Treadstone
25-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Except it was not 9 months was it? those close season months were obviously hell for you, and we did win at Dundee Utd and draw away at Motherwell, then win at Motherwell the season he was sacked.

Timewise it was 9 months but fair enough how about 23 league games accumulating 17pts ? Nice draw at 'well we only had a four goal lead and Utd only started with four guys that started the cup final.

Nobody is saying we did not hit a slump, but we have support who instead of celebrating the good that happens, would rather panic and predict a bad time and dwell on the bad times.

No panic or predictions. Yogi was a poor manager for Hibs his good start can't even hide that

The slump was not all bad, there were decent results in that 9 months, just not enough to keep him in a job.

A slump? 23 games not including the shambles at Ross County in the cup!

IWasThere2016
25-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Was there no the matter of the worst ever home record also?

Andy74
25-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Was there no the matter of the worst ever home record also?

In terms of amounts of games, yes, though worse was to come under CC in terms of the the types of teams we lost to or failed to beat at home.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Timewise it was 9 months but fair enough how about 23 league games accumulating 17pts ? Nice draw at 'well we only had a four goal lead and Utd only started with four guys that started the cup final.

No panic or predictions. Yogi was a poor manager for Hibs his good start can't even hide that

A slump? 23 games not including the shambles at Ross County in the cup!

He was still the last manager to give us any success, and as i said the usual suspect are on pointing out the negatives. Something a lot of you appear quite happy to do rather than point out any success we may achieve?

Speedway
25-03-2013, 03:26 PM

You're just getting that?

You and I have had plenty negative to say about Hibs ourselves. I remember Motherwell beating us 4-2 in the cup under Collins and a thread appeared on here called 'that was coming' where you stuck the boot right into a cup winning manager.

Treadstone
25-03-2013, 03:31 PM
He was still the last manager to give us any success, and as i said the usual suspect are on pointing out the negatives. Something a lot of you appear quite happy to do rather than point out any success we may achieve?

I think as a fan base we have to weigh the successes and failures and then judge. We can't have a blinkered approach to just see what we'd like to see. Calderwood won 5 SPL games in a row but I don't see anyone using that to reason that he was a good manager. The fact Yogi is a Hibs man shouldn't blind us to his many shortcomings as a manager.

Deek01
25-03-2013, 03:39 PM

You and I have had plenty negative to say about Hibs ourselves. I remember Motherwell beating us 4-2 in the cup under Collins and a thread appeared on here called 'that was coming' where you stuck the boot right into a cup winning manager.

That's ridiculous, I remember that game well and for all that we were maybe not at our best, Motherwell did perform very well that night and deserve credit for their performance.

Kato
25-03-2013, 03:56 PM
In terms of amounts of games, yes, though worse was to come under CC in terms of the the types of teams we lost to or failed to beat at home.

Slightly less good/maybe better than CC.

Never has the phrase "damned with feint praise" been so appropriate.

AFAIC the last manager to manufacture success for us was Mowbray, although it was delivered under Collins who had excellent tactics.

4th place is not success. Overall Hughes showed he couldn't manage a Pineapple Upsidedown Cake and the attitude of the Hartlepool fans will be repeated every time someone puts him in that position. He should have stuck with Collins and between them they may have made a decent double act, although I have my doubts about that as well.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2013, 07:02 PM

It does not stop me saying John Collins gave me the best day of my life as a Hibs supporter, his team were absolutely superb that day in 2007, and he will go down as a manager and player legend.

You see, i can comment on both good and bad, and don't mind in fact love it when things are good, whoever the manager is.

Treadstone
25-03-2013, 07:24 PM
It does not stop me saying John Collins gave me the best day of my life as a Hibs supporter, his team were absolutely superb that day in 2007, and he will go down as a manager and player legend.

You see, i can comment on both good and bad, and don't mind in fact love it when things are good, whoever the manager is.

Fair enough and I don't doubt it. Although you are one of the guys that likes to perpetuate the myth that people only post when we play badly/get a poor result. Hibs.net just reflects the mood at the time, this place was bouncing after the cup wins over the Yams and Killie. Even the game against Utd a few weeks ago there was a lot of great posts about the way we played.

I came on here after THAT day in May not with the intention to be negative or start having a go at anyone, but because i knew there would be people who I didn't know who would understand exactly how I felt. Ye cannae buy that.

This May if we could actually do it! I will be back on here again with people who understand how I am feeling.:woohoo:

IWasThere2016
25-03-2013, 07:55 PM

Factually Yogi has the record though :wink:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Factually Yogi has the record though :wink:

Remind me of the good times under Coco though?

IWasThere2016
25-03-2013, 09:03 PM

Aye very few and very far between - well shot of baith. Coco in the top English league somehow. Players loved his training - far superior to Yogi and Rice by all accounts, Yogi will get punted from the lowest league this side of Christmas IMHO.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2013, 09:23 PM

Ibrox away another 3-0 win, wish i was there. And thats just about it, his training methods amounted to that.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Aye very few and very far between - well shot of baith. Coco in the top English league somehow. Players loved his training - far superior to Yogi and Rice by all accounts, Yogi will get punted from the lowest league this side of Christmas IMHO.

Coco was always a no2 imo. Never cut out as a no1. Found his niche.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Ibrox away another 3-0 win, wish i was there. And thats just about it, his training methods amounted to that.

One swallow. Never a summer.

silverhibee
25-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Bags of sweets time.

Speedway
28-03-2013, 12:22 PM

What took you so long to notice the good?

blackpoolhibs
28-03-2013, 04:12 PM
What took you so long to notice the good?

Do you mean the games against both sides of the old firm where he had us purring like a cheshire cat, or the 81% game against the gimps, or even the game where we beat Gretna or Kilmarnock.

We were also good against St Johnstone in the semi, in fact we had some very good performances and results under Collins.

It does not matter who the manager is, if its good i say so, and if its not i'm not frightened of saying so either. :confused:

3pm
28-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Do you mean the games against both sides of the old firm where he had us purring like a cheshire cat, or the 81% game against the gimps, or even the game where we beat Gretna or Kilmarnock.

We were also good against St Johnstone in the semi, in fact we had some very good performances and results under Collins.

It does not matter who the manager is, if its good i say so, and if its not i'm not frightened of saying so either. :confused:

We had some good days under JC.....the semi at the PBS was not one of the better performances....in fact my recollection was we were poor that night.

However, results matter and and I'll take another duff performance on 13/4 if we win the game.

blackpoolhibs
28-03-2013, 05:10 PM
We had some good days under JC.....the semi at the PBS was not one of the better performances....in fact my recollection was we were poor that night.

However, results matter and and I'll take another duff performance on 13/4 if we win the game.

We were running out of ideas, but Collins put McCann and Stevenson on and put Murphy into midfield and those changes changed the course of the game that may have been slipping away from us. I dont get it where some folk go on about me whinging about managers?

If a manager or player, and i mean ANY manager or player does something good, i say so. Unlike others who wont give any credit to Hughes and only point out the negatives. :rolleyes:

lEXO
28-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Yogi got us 4th place no doubt. The fact that we were on the same run of form as relegation candidates from december was a nightmare. I watched that side home and away most weeks, we were awful. I sat behind the dugout at Dingwall in the cup game and was disgusted by his antics towards the players and feeble tactics. He played Thicot at right back and moaned at him most of the game. Aye right back, how many transfer windows did it take to get a right back? And then look at the one we got. Bad management. He stuck Spoony out there and hung him out to dry. Not a huge fan of Spoony but Yogi didnae help him or his confidance thats for sure.
He never won a derby, he never got us to Hampden and if 2 games in Europe is success now i,m gonny give it up. He shouldnt have got anywhere near the Hibs job, his Falkirk side were 1 goal away from being relegated just before he took over. Poor decision by the board followed by another with Calderwood. Hopefully Fenlon gets us back to Hampden for the final, we finish top six, now that would be success given the crap he started with compared to any Hibs manager in a while.

J-C
28-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Yogi got us 4th place no doubt. The fact that we were on the same run of form as relegation candidates from december was a nightmare. I watched that side home and away most weeks, we were awful. I sat behind the dugout at Dingwall in the cup game and was disgusted by his antics towards the players and feeble tactics. He played Thicot at right back and moaned at him most of the game. Aye right back, how many transfer windows did it take to get a right back? And then look at the one we got. Bad management. He stuck Spoony out there and hung him out to dry. Not a huge fan of Spoony but Yogi didnae help him or his confidance thats for sure.
He never won a derby, he never got us to Hampden and if 2 games in Europe is success now i,m gonny give it up. He shouldnt have got anywhere near the Hibs job, his Falkirk side were 1 goal away from being relegated just before he took over. Poor decision by the board followed by another with Calderwood. Hopefully Fenlon gets us back to Hampden for the final, we finish top six, now that would be success given the crap he started with compared to any Hibs manager in a while.

blackpoolhibs
28-03-2013, 07:01 PM

Aye so 4th place is not success these days? And Spoony at right back was part of the best defense in Britain from August to February if my memory is correct?

Its funny how when Spoony has played well, its nowt to do with the manager, yet he plays poor and its Hughes fault? Getting Falkirk to a cup final, and keeping them in the SPL is success for Falkirk and put him in the frame for us and other jobs.

I also hope Fenlon can emulate Hughes in taking us to Europe, i'd prefer it through our league position, but wont complain should it be through the cup.

lEXO
28-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Aye so 4th place is not success these days? And Spoony at right back was part of the best defense in Britain from August to February if my memory is correct?

Its funny how when Spoony has played well, its nowt to do with the manager, yet he plays poor and its Hughes fault? Getting Falkirk to a cup final, and keeping them in the SPL is success for Falkirk and put him in the frame for us and other jobs.

I also hope Fenlon can emulate Hughes in taking us to Europe, i'd prefer it through our league position, but wont complain should it be through the cup.

I also remember Spoony being subbed a few times because the opposition targeted him as a weak link. Shot the guys confidence. He did,nt bring a right back in until his 3rd transfer window.He played a young midfielder and centre backs there but signed how many goalies? Of course 4th is success these days, but the bigger picture was the managers lack of a plan b. Also his treatment of some players.
I remember being on the bus after the Dingwall cup game and he was interviewed for the radio. The whole bus was shouting to turn the slavering ****** off. He has been found out. I know 2 guys who were part of the Falkirk team during his time there, the despised him. His bullying of some players if he could get away with it, and his wee clique who got away with murder. These werent rumours, i heard it straight from them. The same rumours that done the rounds when he was at us. So yes 4th is success, but the bigger picture said more than just league position. No wins against Hearts and poor cup runs. He was Hibs captain when we were relegated in 98, he could possibly have been the first man to be relegated as Hibs captain and manager if he had stayed on. Hypothetical? Yes. No more hypothetical than saying he would,nt given our form and confidence.

BS44
28-03-2013, 10:20 PM

Don't forget our first win in Inverness!

matty_f
28-03-2013, 10:57 PM

Didn't Derek Adams slate the passing drills that CC had the team doing?

Treadstone
28-03-2013, 11:38 PM

Your memory is not correct, not even close. We weren't even best in the SPL.

LeighLoyal
28-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Out of Collins, Hughes and Mixu I prefer Mixu although I think Fenlon is the best since TM

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Your memory is not correct, not even close. We weren't even best in the SPL.

What was it then, 2nd 3rd 4th?

IWasThere2016
29-03-2013, 06:19 AM

Spot on!

IWasThere2016
29-03-2013, 06:29 AM
I think Fenlon is the best since TM

This.

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2013, 06:32 AM
This.

You said the same about Calderwood.

Brizo
29-03-2013, 07:20 AM
I also remember Spoony being subbed a few times because the opposition targeted him as a weak link. Shot the guys confidence. He did,nt bring a right back in until his 3rd transfer window.He played a young midfielder and centre backs there but signed how many goalies? Of course 4th is success these days, but the bigger picture was the managers lack of a plan b. Also his treatment of some players.
I remember being on the bus after the Dingwall cup game and he was interviewed for the radio. The whole bus was shouting to turn the slavering ****** off. He has been found out. I know 2 guys who were part of the Falkirk team during his time there, the despised him. His bullying of some players if he could get away with it, and his wee clique who got away with murder. These werent rumours, i heard it straight from them. The same rumours that done the rounds when he was at us. So yes 4th is success, but the bigger picture said more than just league position. No wins against Hearts and poor cup runs. He was Hibs captain when we were relegated in 98, he could possibly have been the first man to be relegated as Hibs captain and manager if he had stayed on. Hypothetical? Yes. No more hypothetical than saying he would,nt given our form and confidence.

Fourth place was success and the league table doesnt lie. But the good work was all done in the first half of the season. And in that first half of the season we did play some great stuff, a first 1/2 against Dundee Utd was some of the best football id seen from a Hibs team in years. But we were total p@sh for most of the second half of that season and only scraped 4th spot by a baw hair.

The aboves posters description of the dressing room "culture" is spot on. Despite Yogis hard man image he was incapable of imposing any proper discipline and professional standards in the changing room. Certain players were allowed to bring their off field problems into the club and they caused problems for others in the squad. Yogis touchline behaviour was similarly unprofessional. All managers shout at players but he seemed to revel in slagging them off; and playing up to the folks in the stand behind him when doing it. His "tactical" advice from the dugout was cringeworthy but more importantly often totally contradictory.

The fact that the one of our own "leithy boys" departure was welcomed by the vast majority of Hibbies i know out there in the real non internet world tells its own story,

Treadstone
29-03-2013, 09:56 AM
What was it then, 2nd 3rd 4th?

Rangers, QoS, Cowdenbeath, Alloa, Brechin, Livingston, East Stirling, Albion Rovers, and Annan all conceded less than us, taking 30th January as a cut-off (there were no league games in Scotland on the 31st for any division).

We had conceded the same as Berwick and Forfar (19). There are a couple more in England but because of the size of the leagues outside the EPL at that time many had played 6 more games than we had at that stage.

Andy74
29-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Rangers, QoS, Cowdenbeath, Alloa, Brechin, Livingston, East Stirling, Albion Rovers, and Annan all conceded less than us, taking 30th January as a cut-off (there were no league games in Scotland on the 31st for any division).

We had conceded the same as Berwick and Forfar (19). There are a couple more in England but because of the size of the leagues outside the EPL at that time many had played 6 more games than we had at that stage.

I think up to December sometime it was our best goals against record for quite a few years.

Bamba then went away to the ANC, McBride in front of them got injured long term and Stack was out as well. It didn't go we'll from there although results were still decent until mid February.

IWasThere2016
29-03-2013, 12:06 PM
You said the same about Calderwood.

And I was wrong - I was right about Hughes though.

Treadstone
29-03-2013, 12:13 PM
I think up to December sometime it was our best goals against record for quite a few years.

Bamba then went away to the ANC, McBride in front of them got injured long term and Stack was out as well. It didn't go we'll from there although results were still decent until mid February.

I was responding to an earlier erroneous claim in the thread (post #168).

Treadstone
29-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Jeffs no happy.

Jeff Stelling ‏@StellingJeff (https://twitter.com/StellingJeff)
Not my job to pick team - but no James Poole yet still Luke James, apprentice of the year, is only on the bench v MKD. Scratching head !

IWasThere2016
29-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Pumped the day again - they seem worth a punt against every game now as Yogi has them dive-bombing.

Smartie
29-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Jeffs no happy.

Jeff Stelling ‏@StellingJeff (https://twitter.com/StellingJeff)
Not my job to pick team - but no James Poole yet still Luke James, apprentice of the year, is only on the bench v MKD. Scratching head !

Jeff Stelling? Pah!

Fitba' fowk ken whit's gaun oan.

Treadstone
29-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Pumped the day again - they seem worth a punt against every game now as Yogi has them dive-bombing.

To be fair to Yogi they were horrible before he took over. Wee bit of new manager momentum and now back to horrible again. Defo worth backing against again.

Andy74
29-03-2013, 06:34 PM

Jeez, you gave CC about a year seeing as he took over a team that wasn't doing well and wasn't his. Funny how you can change your outlook when Hughes takes over a team eh?

Thecat23
29-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Maybe it's just me but I couldn't give a **** were Yogi is or doing. He's not with us so for me I couldn't care. Was he a good manager? No not for me, glad he was punted. All this he was a Hibby pish means nothing. He came, he failed, he left!

J-C
29-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Maybe it's just me but I couldn't give a **** were Yogi is or doing. He's not with us so for me I couldn't care. Was he a good manager? No not for me, glad he was punted. All this he was a Hibby pish means nothing. He came, he failed, he left!

:agree::top marks

Saorsa
29-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Maybe it's just me but I couldn't give a **** were Yogi is or doing. He's not with us so for me I couldn't care. Was he a good manager? No not for me, glad he was punted. All this he was a Hibby pish means nothing. He came, he failed, he left!:top marks

Treadstone
29-03-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks for telling us you don't care.:confused:

Thecat23
29-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks for telling us you don't care.:confused:

Your welcome.

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2013, 08:43 PM
To be fair to Yogi they were horrible before he took over. Wee bit of new manager momentum and now back to horrible again. Defo worth backing against again.

aka "bullying" - it produces short term results, then people lose interest.

Andy74
29-03-2013, 08:57 PM
aka "bullying" - it produces short term results, then people lose interest.

That accepted now is it?

Is that why Falkirk got long term success, for them, under him producing several excellent young players who credited him with developing them and why Livingston were doing pretty well?

Things didn't work out but the animosity and poor chat about him reflects pretty poorly.

truehibernian
29-03-2013, 09:20 PM
I'll go with Nid's recent, very accurate if somewhat 'diplomatic' assessment of Hughes - for me it was unsurprising he remained out of football for the length of time he did after leaving Hibs.

Fenlon has united the squad and the fans after two poor managers, quicker than I expected - Hughes divided it, Calderwood removed it's heart and passion. It's no surprise to me Hartlepool are where they are. And I'm just glad he isn't Hibernian manager. Hibs fan or not - don't rate the man. He won't care however - we are all faceless fans.

hibbymick
29-03-2013, 09:22 PM
I spoke to several of the u19s during Hughes time at ER and they spoke of his bullying.

beensaidbefore
29-03-2013, 09:46 PM

Never a truer word said. He gave his all for the club everytime he played, and would stroll into todays team no problem. To appoint him as a young, relatively inexperienced manager, and have him out the door so quickly and in the manner we did, stinks in my opinion. I feel that he, Collins and Hughes should have been treated with more respect, due to their previous conncetions and affections for the club. Even the way we treated Nish stinks imo.

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2013, 09:49 PM
That accepted now is it?

Is that why Falkirk got long term success, for them, under him producing several excellent young players who credited him with developing them and why Livingston were doing pretty well?

Things didn't work out but the animosity and poor chat about him reflects pretty poorly.

Easy to bully kids - sometimes in a subtle way. Move to a dressing room with seasoned pros and they soon clock a numpty. The animosity comes from Yogi's revisionist, down home, attitude to how he goes about the job.

Take his stuff about working class values - is that not a divisive tactic in modern football?

I'd have given him more slack if he hadn't showed up at the derby after his sacking, and played to the crowd like a "good ole boy". Turnbull and Miller had he class to let the new guy get on with his job.

beensaidbefore
29-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I spoke to several of the u19s during Hughes time at ER and they spoke of his bullying.

When Ian Murray first joined circa 1997, hughes jumped out on him when he was walking along the corridor, pinned him to the wall, and held a knife to his face/throat. IM, was of course, evidently ****ting himself, before yogi, burst out laughing and took the mickey etc etc. This was IM's initiation/welcoming type thing, and I have given it as an example of something that some folk would see as being funny, and an introduction to the boys type thing. While someone else might find this intimidating/bullying and unwelcoming. just the way some folk are, and as a kid you sometimes dont get it quite the same..

not trying to undermine, or question what you know, just suggesting that if that was his man managment style as hibs captain, it may not differ greatly as a manager.

Thecat23
29-03-2013, 10:08 PM

Wasn't just the kids.. Couple of first team players thought it.

J-C
29-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Wasn't just the kids.. Couple of first team players thought it.

Yep................bullying, cliques, allowing Bamba to stroll back late from the ANC and walk right into the team against Maribor(would've peed off a few players), allowing Stokes's gambling to affect the dressing room harmony and to allow a drinking culture to get way out of hand were the papers got involved regularly.

beensaidbefore
29-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Yep................bullying, cliques, allowing Bamba to stroll back late from the ANC and walk right into the team against Maribor(would've peed off a few players), allowing Stokes's gambling to affect the dressing room harmony and to allow a drinking culture to get way out of hand were the papers got involved regularly.

Sounds like someone without the confidence/ability to manage a group of young egos. Or someone, that is in fact an oversized kid who enjoys the 'banter', and to be 'top dog' and 'one of the boys', which only works up to the point that your leadership skills are questioned and subsequently undermined. One you've established a matey matey relationship instead of a professional working realtionship with clearly defined roles and expectations, its destined for failure - which sadly i know through personal experience.

NOLA
29-03-2013, 11:14 PM
When Ian Murray first joined circa 1997, hughes jumped out on him when he was walking along the corridor, pinned him to the wall, and held a knife to his face/throat. IM, was of course, evidently ****ting himself, before yogi, burst out laughing and took the mickey etc etc. This was IM's initiation/welcoming type thing, and I have given it as an example of something that some folk would see as being funny, and an introduction to the boys type thing. While someone else might find this intimidating/bullying and unwelcoming. just the way some folk are, and as a kid you sometimes dont get it quite the same..

not trying to undermine, or question what you know, just suggesting that if that was his man managment style as hibs captain, it may not differ greatly as a manager.
What folk might see as bullying, yogi will see it as character building, working class culture?

Andy74
29-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Quick question.

Why does John Collins, an ultra professional with strong views on the game and having worked under some top coaches take John Hughes as his manager at Livi if he isn't professional?

And a few stories need to get straight here. Was he a bully or too much like one of the lads?

And how daft were the likes of McBride, Cregg and Stokes to volunteer to work under him again?

How did Falkirk players manage for so long, some getting to Scotland squads.

I recall it was once a fact that Hughes had chucked red wine at Rod and would never work at Hibs in any case.

beensaidbefore
29-03-2013, 11:54 PM
What folk might see as bullying, yogi will see it as character building, working class culture?

I suppose that is one of the key questions, and highlights the difficulties managers face when trying to establish the 'right' way. Having very little dressing room experience, but a fair bit life experience, i feel the best man managers, and those that get the job done, are those that know when to be one of the lads and when to be a leader and the 'boss'.
Not an easy task for everyone to strike that balance and it can be done, but i feel that task can be made more difficult when the question of someones 'class' is mentioned alongside their ability, as there are many with deep rooted sub-conscious prejudices that 'working-class' can only get 'so far', before their roots trip them up 'just as we expected'. Similarly, those from more priviliged backgrounds can be accused of lacking understanding of 'real people' and their 'struggle' when their man managment comes under scrutiny.

Sadly there are many cases to justify this opinion, and Yogi may be one of them, but that fact that he talks like a 'leefer' and presents himself as someone licking in finess, may be the thing stopping him from being accepted as 'worthy' of success, on the basis that 'he'll always be that bully with a working-class mentality, who knows no different' etc.

Some folk need a namby-pamby softly softly approach, while others need to be given ultimatums, and motivation in ways that some would feel threatened by. That is the same in every walk of life, and i imagine in places with all male workforces ego's are being tested and dented all the time, while folk try to establish themselves in the pecking order, which will be even more difficult with younger, more insecure boys/men. Army training could be likened to bullying, however they need to know the guys will do what they are aseked when they are asked without question. Maybe not a bad thing to instill in a team of young men??

IWasThere2016
30-03-2013, 05:28 AM
Jeez, you gave CC about a year seeing as he took over a team that wasn't doing well and wasn't his. Funny how you can change your outlook when Hughes takes over a team eh?

Err., I never rated Yogi EVERY year - there's the difference and he's 'good' for making a few quid it seems :greengrin

Thecat23
30-03-2013, 05:36 AM
Quick question.

Why does John Collins, an ultra professional with strong views on the game and having worked under some top coaches take John Hughes as his manager at Livi if he isn't professional?

And a few stories need to get straight here. Was he a bully or too much like one of the lads?

And how daft were the likes of McBride, Cregg and Stokes to volunteer to work under him again?

I recall it was once a fact that Hughes had chucked red wine at Rod and would never work at Hibs in any case.

I honestly haven't heard this red wine story and its clear that's rubbish. Yogi had his fav players Andy believe me. If he didn't like you it's was well known. One player who's now left found it astonishing that a guy like Yogi got the Hibs job with his way of dealing with one on ones and the constant screaming at players. Now don't get me wrong sometimes a player needs to be shouted at, but not everyday at the slightest mistake.

He wasn't liked by a fair few at ER for the way he came across. The line between banter and bullying was crossed many times and he knew it himself.

Why did Collins want him? I've no idea. You would have to ask him that.

Brizo
30-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Quick question.

The culture of bullying in any workplace is that the bully will have their coterie of favourites as they need to keep a certain section of the workforce on side. Human nature is also such that those not being bullied will just be relieved its not them and not really be concerned about anyone else.

i dont pretend to have any inside track on what goes on at Hibs but was friendly with parents of two players in the squad during Yogis era. The stories I heard of Yogis " man management" and the problems caused by one of the players you mention above were the kind of stuff youd expect from a radge sunday league team not a professional football club. These people had no reason to make up fictitious stuff about Yogi and I believe them 100%.

To answer your question above Yogi was a bully who wanted to be one of the lads. Certain managers, the most obvious example Fergie, inspire fear and respect from their players in equal measure. Many players at Hibs were intimidated by Yogi but few respected him.

That he is pals with JC and that the red wine incident didnt happen, doesnt alter the rest.

IWasThere2016
30-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Quick question.

Are you citing Collins/Hughes as a success? It was on their door-steps and they failed.

The players you mention clearly knew what to expect - the others didn't. All 3 probs saw Hibs as a step up from where they were. At least two earned more in moving :wink:

Bairns' players in the Scotland squad says more about the fall in our national team than anything else IMHO.

J-C
30-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Quick question.

As TQM says McBride and Cregg probably doubled their wages and Stokes knew he would be allowed to get away with coming in hung over and do little training.

His treatment of the young players there was atrocious by all accounts, with him being the ring leader in the pranks played upon them, that is no way to act as a manager, you're either a boss or a player, you can't be both.

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2013, 08:01 AM
As TQM says McBride and Cregg probably doubled their wages and Stokes knew he would be allowed to get away with coming in hung over and do little training.

His treatment of the young players there was atrocious by all accounts, with him being the ring leader in the pranks played upon them, that is no way to act as a manager, you're either a boss or a player, you can't be both.

It baffles me how he managed to keep Falkirk in the SPL, and get Hibs and Falkirk into Europe?

J-C
30-03-2013, 08:14 AM
It baffles me how he managed to keep Falkirk in the SPL, and get Hibs and Falkirk into Europe?

Baffling?? Falkirk stayed in the SPL year on in by the skin of their teeth every year, he had a hard core of players who were all his buddies and a decent group of youngsters.

Hibs got Europe by a baw hair purely because Dundee U had a final and decided to play their second string against us in the final game and Falkirk had a decent fun in the cup bet scraped by in the league as usual.

I know a few players personally from the Yogi era at ER and believe me the man should never have been near the place, you can shout all you want about the 4th place but from February onwards we were the worst team in the league and were lucky to have the points in the bag from earlier.

matty_f
30-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Hibs got into Europe for their performance over the season, not on the strength of one game.

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Baffling?? Falkirk stayed in the SPL year on in by the skin of their teeth every year, he had a hard core of players who were all his buddies and a decent group of youngsters.

Hibs got Europe by a baw hair purely because Dundee U had a final and decided to play their second string against us in the final game and Falkirk had a decent fun in the cup bet scraped by in the league as usual.

I know a few players personally from the Yogi era at ER and believe me the man should never have been near the place, you can shout all you want about the 4th place but from February onwards we were the worst team in the league and were lucky to have the points in the bag from earlier.

Falkirk would love to be in the SPL NOW and spent years punching above their weight, and i'd take scraping into Europe every season.

I wish qualifying for Europe was as easy as you suggest, can we do it today if we scrape a win against Inverness, i mean all you have to do is win one game it seems?

hibs0666
30-03-2013, 08:55 AM

So you want him back at Hibs seeing as he is so dead good?

J-C
30-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Falkirk would love to be in the SPL NOW and spent years punching above their weight, and i'd take scraping into Europe every season.

I wish qualifying for Europe was as easy as you suggest, can we do it today if we scrape a win against Inverness, i mean all you have to do is win one game it seems?

We should've peed 3rd that season not waiting till the last game biting our nails hopeful of doing it, no plan B and was shown up in the transfer window that summer. The team was a shambles when CC took over and he made it an even bigger one, Pat has done reasonably well and I'd take a top 6 compared to where we were last season, Europe is not out of the question but I think going by recent games it looks a long shot, the cup seems to be our entry into it.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2013, 09:05 AM

Is it because he had a team with the "best defence in Britain"?

Saorsa
30-03-2013, 09:10 AM
So you want him back at Hibs seeing as he is so dead good?Fenlon out, Hughes in.

J-C
30-03-2013, 09:11 AM

Yes up until February and until Bamba came back a different player with his head turned, didn't help trying to turn a good decent defensive mid into a right back, we could all see that wasn't working but he still persisted.

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2013, 09:13 AM
So you want him back at Hibs seeing as he is so dead good?

I don't want him back, i'm very happy with Fenlon.:confused: As for the best defence in Britain, there was a bit on football focus that mentioned our defence was up there with the best in Britain, i cant remember the exact details but they were up there when that programme was aired, but its was all luck so can just be ignored as such.:rolleyes:

Its best if we just highlight the bad days at easter road and dismiss any of the good stuff, we could call it the Hibs way.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Yes up until February and until Bamba came back a different player with his head turned, didn't help trying to turn a good decent defensive mid into a right back, we could all see that wasn't working but he still persisted.

A previous post myth-busted that stat. Just waiting on BH disproving that - it anotherhas been his most used stat over the last couple of years.

silverhibee
30-03-2013, 10:08 AM
It all went Pete Tong from the game at Ibrox, made a lot of changes to the team that day and it was down hill after that.

Ans Spoony was never the same player after that game.

PatHead
16-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Hartlepool relegated tonight.

Stevie Reid
17-04-2013, 12:22 PM

You are incorrect about Falkirk in the SPL under Yogi - after promotion they finished: -

2005-06 - 10th (15 points clear of relegation)
2006-07 - 7th (with more points than us in 6th)
2007-08 - 7th (with more points than Hearts whose wage bill was astronomical)
2008-00 - 10th (one point clear of relegation after a 1-0 win away at ICT on the last day - reached SC Final too)

There's plenty of stuff to criticise Hughes about without making stuff up.

Kato
17-04-2013, 05:46 PM
You are incorrect about Falkirk in the SPL under Yogi - after promotion they finished: -

2005-06 - 10th (15 points clear of relegation)
2006-07 - 7th (with more points than us in 6th)
2007-08 - 7th (with more points than Hearts whose wage bill was astronomical)
2008-00 - 10th (one point clear of relegation after a 1-0 win away at ICT on the last day - reached SC Final too)

There's plenty of stuff to criticise Hughes about without making stuff up.

I wonder how those stats would have looked sans Latapy. With him in their team they were slick and moved the ball around well - without him they were lumpers who kicked everything on the pitch that moved bar the ref.

HibeeMcGinn1
09-05-2013, 02:56 PM
As it says on the tin.

Pretty Boy
09-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Without knowing the ins and outs it seems a bit harsh.

Where they not already pretty much goners before he got the gig?

Don Giovanni
09-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Without knowing the ins and outs it seems a bit harsh.

Where they not already pretty much goners before he got the gig?

'Pools were headed down before Yogi arrived.
He picked up a team shorn of confidence and gave them a fighting chance of staying up.

Fitbaws mental.

He deserved better than that.

scuttle
09-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Maybe lined up for the Everton gig

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Fenlon out Yogi in....

:duck:

The_Horde
09-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Ah well. I'm sure he gave it a right good go..

VickMackie
09-05-2013, 03:24 PM
;3593291']Ah well. I'm sure he gave it a right good go..

:faf:

TomoHFC
09-05-2013, 03:29 PM
A bit harsh they have gave him more time they were already doomed when he started there

Stevie Reid
09-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Seems a bit harsh on the face of it: -

Hartlepool (http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1190)
13 Nov, 2012
Present

jonty
09-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Seems a bit harsh on the face of it: -

Hartlepool (http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1190)

13 Nov, 2012

Present

I'm assuming that was the state of play in November. (played, w/d/l)?
So currently they have 46 9/14/23
So, since then its been 17 1/5/11
No wonder he went.

Or is that his record between those dates (more likely - even Yogi isn't that bad)

Stevie Reid
09-05-2013, 03:47 PM
No wonder he went.

Or is that his record between those dates (more likely - even Yogi isn't that bad)

That's Yogi's record, they had only won once and lost 11 before he arrived.

Part/Time Supporter
09-05-2013, 03:48 PM
No wonder he went.

It's the other way round. They were long gone when he took over. They threatened to turn it around in January / February, but fell away near the end. It's harsh that he hasn't been given a chance to get them back up.

danhibees1875
09-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Very harsh giving his record.

Even when it looked at its most likely they could pull off an escape the fans weren't happy with Yogi.

lucky
09-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Could be a cost cutting measure. But let's be honest he's not the best at his job. Sacked from 2/4 managerial posts he's had.

Gmack7
09-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Maybe lined up for the Everton gig
id rather he got the celtic job NOW

Saorsa
09-05-2013, 04:03 PM
;3593291']Ah well. I'm sure he gave it a right good go..:tee hee:

3pm
09-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Was never a fan but never nice to see anyone lose their job.

For his faults, the guy gave 100%. More than can be said of some of the charlatans who have represented us since he left.

--------
09-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Very harsh giving his record.

Even when it looked at its most likely they could pull off an escape the fans weren't happy with Yogi.

REAL fitba' folks ken whit wis goin' oan. :devil:

Pedantic_Hibee
09-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Obviously used his full supply of gold dust on Paddy Cregg.

Sir David Gray
09-05-2013, 04:58 PM
That really is ridiculous.

How can anyone prove themselves over 29 games? :confused:

They were in the deep stuff before he arrived and it was always going to be an uphill struggle. OK, you might look at what Ian Murray has done at Dumbarton under similar circumstances but what happened there is few and far between.

It's not as if he's turned a good team into a rubbish one and I think he deserved some time to see if he could get them back up again.

--------
09-05-2013, 05:04 PM
That really is ridiculous.

How can anyone prove themselves over 29 games? :confused:

They were in the deep stuff before he arrived and it was always going to be an uphill struggle. OK, you might look at what Ian Murray has done at Dumbarton under similar circumstances but what happened there is few and far between.

It's not as if he's turned a good team into a rubbish one and I think he deserved some time to see if he could get them back up again.

Fourth manger in two years at Hartlepool. Next one'll be the fifth.

Constant change of manager, no opportunity to bring in new blood, relegation following? Our board and owner should take notice. :cb

Sir David Gray
09-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Fourth manger in two years at Hartlepool. Next one'll be the fifth.

Constant change of manager, no opportunity to bring in new blood, relegation following? Our board and owner should take notice. :cb

After all the focus, over the past couple of days, has been on a club that has had one man in charge for almost three decades, it really is depressing to hear stories like this.

No-one's saying that anyone could live up to Sir Alex Ferguson and achieve even half of what he's done at Old Trafford but I think it shows what is possible if you stick with a manager and have some continuity and stability at your club.

muzzhfc
09-05-2013, 05:19 PM
shame to see, but i bet man u are now like "****, we should of waiting 2 hours and we could of had yogi hughes, we have to put up with moyes now!"

sambajustice
09-05-2013, 05:20 PM
REAL fitba' folks ken whit wis goin' oan. :devil:

Jeff Stelling fowk ken whits gaun oan!! LOL

--------
09-05-2013, 05:32 PM
After all the focus, over the past couple of days, has been on a club that has had one man in charge for almost three decades, it really is depressing to hear stories like this.

No-one's saying that anyone could live up to Sir Alex Ferguson and achieve even half of what he's done at Old Trafford but I think it shows what is possible if you stick with a manager and have some continuity and stability at your club.

Fergie was far from popular - or successful - at Old Trafford the first 2-3 years of his time there, but the board persevered with him and wow! did he not pay them back. I think it's 38 trophies in 25 years for United - and overall he's won 48 in 33 when you count his years at Aberdeen.

Love him or hate him, he's a great manager of football teams.

All joking apart, Hughes had made enough of a difference at Hartlepool to have been given another year, I'd have thought.

SMAXXA
09-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Shame but the first thing I thought of was 'aw yer joking, gona have to listen to him on Sportsound until he gets another job'