PDA

View Full Version : Stadium announcer sacked / Club Statement, Post 195 (merged)

Pages : [1] 2

dp00
13-11-2012, 02:41 AM
Was being nosey on kickback and there is a thread bout is sacking out stadium announcer due to song choice on Sunday ? Anyone know anything ?

Diclonius
13-11-2012, 02:47 AM
It's true.

Think it's pathetic tbh. Their announcer ridicules us at every opportunity - we should actually allow ourselves to do the same once in a while ffs. Maybe if we actually allowed ourselves as a club to slag off Hearts and have a bit of banter once in a while, we might have a bit of passion in derbies.

I can't help but feel that Hibs still view Hearts as "just another team" which is totally wrong - that's not enough motivation for us to perform in derbies. What a joke.

VickMackie
13-11-2012, 02:50 AM
Absolute joke.

Those tramps take every chance to have a dig at us and now this guy has lost his job.

Maybe the let's work together guys can raise this with the club.

Ridiculous.

rossi
13-11-2012, 02:54 AM
What did he do or say? Heard 'Taxman' which was funny. Hope Hibs haven't sacked him for that.

Diclonius
13-11-2012, 02:56 AM
What did he do or say? Heard 'Taxman' which was funny. Hope Hibs haven't sacked him for that.

That is the sole reason why he was sacked.

Hibercelona
13-11-2012, 03:14 AM
Surely not? :bitchy:

If this is true, we should all be emailing the club about this as it's absolutely ridiculous.

Their ******** of a DJ winds us up silly at every opportunity when we're at the pink pedo dome. Yet, we sack one of our own, for playing 1 song as a joke when Hearts fans weren't even there FFS.

I just don't get it. :confused:

hibbybrian
13-11-2012, 04:00 AM
Poster on the Bounce saying it's more likely the DJ was binned for playing the uncensored version of Boulevard Of Broken Dreams by Green Day at a Hibs-Kids match :dunno:

Diclonius
13-11-2012, 04:14 AM
Poster on the Bounce saying it's more likely the DJ was binned for playing the uncensored version of Boulevard Of Broken Dreams by Green Day at a Hibs-Kids match :dunno:

I did notice that, the phrase "****ed up" was clearly heard during one of the verses.

Hainan Hibs
13-11-2012, 05:20 AM
In fairness they will hear far worse on the terracing :greengrin:

euansdad
13-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Absolute joke. We should get involved, petition or something

Liams
13-11-2012, 07:05 AM
He was rubbish

lyonhibs
13-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Bit of a joke it has to be said, but the stadium announcer was gash. Hopefully someone who sounds like they are generating pre-match atmosphere at a football match, not reading the shipping news, can be found to replace him.

wearethehibs
13-11-2012, 07:46 AM
That has got me really annoyed. Sacked for having a bit of banter. Who gives a **** what hearts fans thought of it. Whoever sacked the guy should be ashamed

euansdad
13-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Just gets to me cos for a while we have had them lording it over us and had to get on with it. Now, we have a guy sacked for giving some of it back

#FromTheCapital
13-11-2012, 08:09 AM
A bit embarrassing imo. Only a bit of banter and its not like we were playing hearts, it was never going to cause any bother.

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2012, 08:15 AM
It does seem very petty, maybe not the time to suggest we get the guy from Livingston as a replacement?

green glory
13-11-2012, 08:16 AM
What a joke, I think the fans should insist he's reinstated.

KdyHby
13-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Did the Killie announcer get sacked for playing this v Tic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSZwEwl_1Q

hibsmad
13-11-2012, 08:19 AM
If he was sacked for playing Taxman on Sunday then it is a total disgrace.

If he was playing uncensored Green Day songs (especially at a Hibs kids match) and this was the reason he was sacked then fair enough.

SaulGoodman
13-11-2012, 08:20 AM
What a joke, I think the fans should insist he's reinstated.

If I was that guy and Hibs offered the job back after this I'd tell them to ram it.

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 08:21 AM
There are some folk within fitba that seem determined tae squeeze every last bit of fun and banter out the game and it would seem that they are alive and well at ER. I cannae think of anybody at ER that mattered that would have been offended by that if they heard it, I would imagine the vast majority would have found it very funny. If the boy has been sacked because of that then there is somebody at ER who needs tae have a word with themselves. If the boy has been sacked on the back of a complaint by some yam windae licker that makes it even 10 times worse.

CRAZYHIBBY
13-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Lets give this some backing and email it to the club.....all in favour say aye!!

marinello59
13-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Aye. Humorous banter should be encouraged, not condemned.

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Aye. Humorous banter should be encouraged, not condemned.:agree:particularly if it's aimed at that lot.

Hermit Crab
13-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Aye, there was no harm done whatsoever. Even the allegedly sane on kickback are backing him.

ZS DOOM
13-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Absolute joke. Whoever thought this was a sackable offence needs a slap

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2012, 08:28 AM
If he was sacked for playing the taxman track, then its a yes from me?

CraigHibee
13-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Bad patter if he was emptied for playing taxman! I heard it and had a chuckle to myself but a wee bit ott for sacking him if this was the reason

Mikey
13-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Aye. Absolute nonsense so it is.

Part/Time Supporter
13-11-2012, 08:30 AM
There's something here that the story as reported isn't telling us. No-one would get sacked for one offence, unless it was criminal.

ShanksSaidNo
13-11-2012, 08:30 AM
It does seem very petty, maybe not the time to suggest we get the guy from Livingston as a replacement?

Yogi?

PeeJay
13-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Aye - simply has to be - think we should sack the person who sacked the announcer?:cb

bigwheel
13-11-2012, 08:34 AM
When did humour get taken out of football - what a ridiculous decision - Don't we want character in football ??

Hibs7
13-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Aye .... a bit ott from Hibs.

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 08:35 AM
When did humour get taken out of football - what a ridiculous decision - Don't we want character in football ??It's been getting sucked out for years and no they dinnae

macca70
13-11-2012, 08:36 AM
If he was sacked for playing the taxman track, then its a yes from me?

Have we not established that it was for playing an unsensored version of a Green Day song that contained some sweary words.

With it being a Hibs kids game, this probably wasn't the best choice of song to be blaring over the PA system.

I would doubt Hibs have any problem with his playlist to wind up the Jambos but The Club can't be condoning him playing songs that contain the 'F' word.

Can understand the clubs decision but maybe a slap on the wrist and told to be more careful in future would be more appropriate.

Fife-Hibee
13-11-2012, 08:36 AM
About 10000 would have played that on sunday if had the chance, does that mean we've not to bother going back ! Whos the idiot that sacked him ?

MontrealHibs
13-11-2012, 08:39 AM
About 10000 would have played that on sunday if had the chance, does that mean we've not to bother going back ! Whos the idiot that sacked him ?

This is shocking. I think a boycott for the next home game should be considered!

LioNeilMessi
13-11-2012, 08:41 AM
He's been at it for weeks. Last week v St Mirren he announced the 4th official like he was our star player 'Steeeevie O'REILLLY!!' Obviously because the Motherwell game the previous week :greengrin I think he's hilarious but I can see why he's been muscled out for 'playing uncensored songs' - bit of a liability for the club.

macca70
13-11-2012, 08:42 AM
If its this song then looks like a swear word appears once so does seem harsh:

I walk a lonely road
The only one that I have ever known
Don't know where it goes
But it's only me, and I walk alone

I walk this empty street
On the boulevard of broken dreams
Where the city sleeps
And I'm the only one, and I walk alone

I walk alone, I walk alone
I walk alone and I walk a

[Chorus]
My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating
Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me
Till then I walk alone

Ah ah ah ah ah
Ah ah ah ah ah

I'm walking down the line
That divides me somewhere in my mind
On the border line of the edge
And where I walk alone

Read between the lines
What's ****ed up and every thing's all right
Check my vital signs to know I'm still alive
And I walk alone

[Chorus]

Ah ah ah ah ah
Ah ah ah ah ah

I walk alone, I walk a

I walk this empty street
Where the city sleeps
And I'm the only one, and I walk a

[Chorus]

DaveF
13-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Have we not established that it was for playing an unsensored version of a Green Day song that contained some sweary words.

With it being a Hibs kids game, this probably wasn't the best choice of song to be blaring over the PA system.

I would doubt Hibs have any problem with his playlist to wind up the Jambos but The Club can't be condoning him playing songs that contain the 'F' word.

Can understand the clubs decision but maybe a slap on the wrist and told to be more careful in future would be more appropriate.

Even if Hibs are hiding behind the Green Day song, I hardly think getting the bullet for that is deserved.

It's a shocking decision and Hibs top brass should be ashamed of themselves.

oneone73
13-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Even if Hibs are hiding behind the Green Day song, I hardly think getting the bullet for that is deserved.

Agreed

tbfhibs
13-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Maybe it was the announcer that smacked Skatchel( only joking).

ZS DOOM
13-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Considering the amount of offensive language on show that game I don't honestly think parents would care about that one song. There's always been colourful language at football and most parents accept that their kids will be exposed to bad language.

green glory
13-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Reinstate the Easter Road One!

Billy Whizz
13-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Who is the announcer anyway?

Matty_Jack04
13-11-2012, 09:00 AM

Agreed

It's hardly hiding when there doing everything they can to put across the 'family club' persona they can't then be seen to be playing swear words to kids on there PA system, it's a bad mistake which he probably would have got away with had it not been a hibs kids game

woody47
13-11-2012, 09:04 AM
thats a big aye from me. Who gives a monkeys what the slum dwellers think. They made their own bed now they can sleep in it!

DaveF
13-11-2012, 09:05 AM
It's hardly hiding when there doing everything they can to put across the 'family club' persona they can't then be seen to be playing swear words to kids on there PA system, it's a bad mistake which he probably would have got away with had it not been a hibs kids game

So?

Apologise for it, give the guy a bollocking behind closed doors and get on with it. The timing of this smacks of us bowing down to some yam fud who has a whinge about 'Taxman'.

Those in charge need to quit being so bleedin' precious.

Cabbage East
13-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Has anyone got a source for this, you know before everyone panics and starts petitions.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Has anyone got a source for this, you know before everyone panics and starts petitions.

This.

Despite some suggestions that it would be reported in the Scotsman today I can't find it - perhaps the print version?

Perhaps it was a cunning plan to sniff out a yam on the PM board ;)

edit: wrong

Bostonhibby
13-11-2012, 09:24 AM
If it was just for the tax man song then Jeez - political correctness gone mad - only in Britain..............come on Hibs reinstate the guy he was only doing a wee bit of what the rest of all good Hibbies have been doing for ages and will be doing when the balloon finally goes pop over there.

The Weedgie media will be all over this and it won't be a good news story for Hibs.............

Viva_Palmeiras
13-11-2012, 09:25 AM

tiger tim - got previous ;)

PeeJay

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/hibs-sack-stadium-dj-after-1433219

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs-sack-pa-announcer-after-taxman-aired-at-easter-road-1-2630101

Newspapers - perhaps not so reliable, of course...

Matty_Jack04
So?

Apologise for it, give the guy a bollocking behind closed doors and get on with it. The timing of this smacks of us bowing down to some yam fud who has a whinge about 'Taxman'.

Those in charge need to quit being so bleedin' precious.

Do you know he wasn't taken in for a bollocking? Said something's out of turn which helped him get the sack?
The club haven't said anything about this as far I can see, we're all getting our knickers in a twist over what someone read on brokeback....where they all at ER supporting there hero?

Bostonhibby
13-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Reinstate the Easter Road One!

:agree:Lets get the banners out and sing the taxman song at the cup tie in support, assuming they are still around then..........

WarringtonHibee
13-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Made my feelings known to the club, I encourage everyone to do the same.

It seems on the stands and on the park we've changed, but those behind the scenes are still a soft touch, pathetic.

Greentinted
13-11-2012, 09:28 AM

Gadge by the name of Willie Docherty apparently. Strange decision, given that the feelgood factor is returning. Surely, if it was such a big deal, a wee word wi the guy was all that's needed. Instead a PR own-goal is scored.
We take the piss out of them, they take the piss out of us...that's the nature of footballing rivalry.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/hibs-sack-stadium-dj-after-1433219

S4uzee
13-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Surely not? :bitchy:

If this is true, we should all be emailing the club about this as it's absolutely ridiculous.

Their ******** of a DJ winds us up silly at every opportunity when we're at the pink pedo dome. Yet, we sack one of our own, for playing 1 song as a joke when Hearts fans weren't even there FFS.

I just don't get it. :confused:

Absolutely, has anyone e-mailed?

Pretty Boy
13-11-2012, 09:35 AM

This.

One swear word in an uncensored version of a song is hardly a sackable offence.

The poor wee bairns will have heard worse within 30 seconds of the match starting and most of them wouldn't even have noticed the song anyway.

brog
13-11-2012, 09:35 AM
A ridiculous decision for whatever reason. We always manage to shoot ourselves in the foot when things are going well!

calumb
13-11-2012, 09:40 AM
This story made the end of the sports news on national radio here in Ireland this morning.
Seems ridiculous if its for the reasons given.

Frazerbob
13-11-2012, 09:43 AM
A good pal of mine runs a DJ company in Aberdeen and supplies the DJ's and announcer at Pittodrie. It is the DJ (not the announcer) who plays the music there and I suspect it's the same at ER. These guys tend to be be club/pub DJ's who do the job for an extra few quid every other weekend.

The story seems to be that the guy on Saturday also played a Green Day song which has some rather colourful language, not the best idea at any game but especially not a Hibs Kids day. Maybe that is the reason he will no longer be required (as opposed to sacked as he probably won't be an employee of Hibs).

Thecat23
13-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Talk about harsh. I'm going to complain to Hearts that their pink stadium offends my eyes along with there ridiculous main stand and the smell of Gorgie hurts my nose and Scott Wilson hurts my ears and Vlad gets on my wick... Wait he doesn't I actually love him now. If any fan has complained we should do the same back and be OFFENDED at anything and I mean anything. Dear Hearts *******s, your pie made me spew and because of this I couldn't pull that night as my breath was honking, so I left the club early and got soaked and now I have the flu and because of the flu I've missed work and no work means no pay (ring a bell) so here's a bill for £500 due to loss of earnings. See you in court tossers.

davcar
13-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Aye, regardless of what song he was sacked for, my 10 year old boy was offended by neither song!!

CMac1988
13-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Aye!

Like it has already been mentioned, if it was for playing Boulevard of Broken Dreams then a warning would've seemed fair.

For playing 'Taxman'? Man should be given a seat of the board. :not worth

Elephant Stone
13-11-2012, 10:05 AM
No way.

Bill Milne
13-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Aye, assuming he has been sacked.

garys
13-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Aye. Reinstate him! Absolute disgrace sacking him for either thing! Surely a wee word in the ear for the swear word or if it's for the taxman, get a sense of humour! The world's gone mad!

lobster
13-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Aye - should be encouraged :agree:

hibee_girl
13-11-2012, 10:17 AM
I had two 7 year olds and a 12 year old with me on Sunday, none of them noticed either the taxman song or the Green Day one.

Total overreaction by the club.

Stevie Reid
13-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Scotsman reporting that it's for The Beatles song - utterly disgraceful, and the first thing the board have got wrong for a wee while. Back to the days of Riordan slagging the pitch.

Get him back.

JimBHibees
13-11-2012, 10:22 AM
What a PR own goal if it is for the taxman song. Honestly wouldnt recognise that song if I heard it anyway.

If this is the only reason and he hasnt for example been warned in the past it seems petty however lets be fair he isnt really the best with his mis-pronunciation of players quite regularly. Think he also got Sodje and Agogo mixed up last season which was very poor.

Alex Trager
13-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Aye

Gmack7
13-11-2012, 10:34 AM
should get a pay rise instead of the boot

Westie1875
13-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Totally OTT from Hibs. Give the guys his job back and get a sense of humour!

davcar
13-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Aye, regardless of what song he was sacked for, my 10 year old boy was offended by neither song!!

matty_f
13-11-2012, 10:46 AM
I can't get my head around how they could justify sacking him for that - even the sweary word in the song can go down as an innocent mistake, I've a mate who used to DJ on Saturday mornings for Leith FM, and he stuck Scooby Snacks by the Fun Loving Criminals on (it was about 9am) which has an audio extract from Pulp Fiction to start the song off, littered with swear words. He apologised and it was a genuine mistake and I don't think anyone was bothered about it - he certainly never lost his job for it.

I would think that there's more to the story than is being reported, I just can't think that any employer would sack someone for either 'offence'.

I was actually more than happy that he played Taxman, the more we get it up those fuds, the better, IMHO.

norhfc
13-11-2012, 10:47 AM
shocking Hibs,is it because it got a lot of media attention ? dont bow to the media,listen to your own fans !!

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 10:49 AM
shocking Hibs,is it because it got a lot of media attention ? dont bow to the media,listen to your own fans !!It would have got far less than it's getting now if they'd done nothing at all.

cheltenhamhibee
13-11-2012, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=macca70;3411403]If its this song then looks like a swear word appears once so does seem harsh:

I walk a lonely road
Don't know where it goes

I walk this empty street
Where the city sleeps

[Chorus]
My shallow HEARTS the only thing that's beating
Till then I walk alone

Ah ah ah ah ah
Ah ah ah ah ah

And where I walk alone

Read between the lines
And I walk alone

[Chorus]

Ah ah ah ah ah
Ah ah ah ah ah

I walk alone, I walk a

I walk this empty street
Where the city sleeps

[Chorus][/QUOTE

I find this word highlighted above far far more offensive

Hermit Crab
13-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Has anyone contacted Hibs to try let them know there is a lot of support for the guy to get his job back??

marti1875
13-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Aye, assuming he has been sacked.

What quotes do you not believe? He's been sacked!! According to one report a "Hibs Official" said something about the song was not authorised by them to be played!!

It also said it was due to THEM complaining about the Taxman song!...but...the link i did read was from The Sun so it could be a whole lot of b****x.. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
13-11-2012, 11:04 AM
There's a 5 pager on kb about this and nearly all are in full support of the boy getting his job back.

jacomo
13-11-2012, 11:10 AM
There's a 5 pager on kb about this and nearly all are in full support of the boy getting his job back.

Fair play to them.

I still hope the taxman pulls the plug. :na na:

:wink:

Hermit Crab
13-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Fair play to them.

I still hope the taxman pulls the plug. :na na:

We could bring this to Hibs attention and hopefully sway their decision to reinstate him.??

hfc rd
13-11-2012, 11:31 AM
It's absolutely ridiculous that a guy has lost his job just because of playing a song. Have they ever been to the PBS before? The idiot up there really does take the biscuit and tries his damn hardest to really wind us up. Especially at the last derby up there.

ronaldo7
13-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Terrible decision. get him back pronto.

EskbankHibby
13-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Fair enough but was there not an article yesterday with a prominent jambo bleating about the 'tasteless jibe'. Will try and find a link.

Thought it was the usual jambo double standards where we have Satchel with the 5-1 gesture but that is 'terrfic banter' but playing a light hearted tune is a 'tasteless jibe'.

MoscowHibs
13-11-2012, 11:40 AM
And it's an Aye fae me. Ridiculous decision.

Bostonhibby
13-11-2012, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=macca70;3411403]If its this song then looks like a swear word appears once so does seem harsh:

I walk a lonely road
Don't know where it goes

I walk this empty street
Where the city sleeps

[Chorus]
My shallow HEARTS the only thing that's beating
Till then I walk alone

Ah ah ah ah ah
Ah ah ah ah ah

And where I walk alone

Read between the lines
And I walk alone

[Chorus]

Ah ah ah ah ah
Ah ah ah ah ah

I walk alone, I walk a

I walk this empty street
Where the city sleeps

[Chorus][/QUOTE

I find this word highlighted above far far more offensive

:agree:Absolutely ridiculous, crap song, doesn't even say **** the Hearts anywhere in it -completely over the top from the club. Petrie out, unless he starts personally writing better tunes.

EskbankHibby
13-11-2012, 11:45 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-rub-rivals-hearts-plight-1431773

Here we go, 'a bit crass' apparently.

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 11:47 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-rub-rivals-hearts-plight-1431773

Here we go, 'a bit crass' apparently.a yam talking about crass? :hilarious ****in' windae licker

hibby rae
13-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Lets give this some backing and email it to the club.....all in favour say aye!!

Aye. Disgraceful sacking him.

bighairyfaeleith
13-11-2012, 11:51 AM
aye

Weej1875
13-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Happy to send an email about this. What's the best email address to use?

Weej1875
13-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Also I would have thought this puts Hibs at risk of an unfair dismissal lawsuit. I'd be interested to know whether his contract was legitimately breached.

silverhibee
13-11-2012, 12:00 PM
aye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02BUCVBHSKw

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Guess the club are just being consistent? If the Stadium announcer had done something really trivial, like assualt another member of staff and break his jaw, I would suspect that he would have been sent out on loan to another club, as their stadium announcer for the next 12 months?

Greendub
13-11-2012, 12:03 PM
My contribution is give him the job back

Whoever took the complaint should have just laughed, then replied with a YouTube link to the song

Hibernia&Alba
13-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Utter disgrace. Isn't banter and a sense of humour allowed in football any longer? It's a pathetic reaction by the club. What about the Hearts announcer who wound the Hibs fans up constantly at Tynecastle last season as he introduced their top derby goalscorers onto the pitch? He's considered a legend there. The Hibs announcer should be reinstated with a pay rise by way of an apology.

Part/Time Supporter
13-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Also I would have thought this puts Hibs at risk of an unfair dismissal lawsuit. I'd be interested to know whether his contract was legitimately breached.

I doubt whether the guy was an actual employee of Hibs. More likely that he would invoice HFC for hours / events worked.

Franck Stanton
13-11-2012, 12:13 PM
seems to me the yams are good at dishing it out, but when the shoe is on the other foot then they throw their teddies out the pram. To say playing the song was 2crass" is way ott - have a wee look at yourselves and ex-players , if you want an example of "crass" how about the 51 shirt number? Try listening to the dj/announcer at the pbs whenever we visit - now thats crass pesonified. FFS it was a wee bit banter and the hearts wernae even there. Someone in the corridors of power at Easter Road needs to get a life. IF the dj has been sacked - re-instate him immediately with a public appology and a pay rise. Geez whats the world coming to, the lunatics are definately running tha asylum.

kaimendhibs
13-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Aye, give Wullie his job back. Even if it was for one swear word its ridiculous, reinstate him

Hibernia&Alba
13-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Definitely should be reinstated. Terrible move by the club.

coolhibbie
13-11-2012, 12:18 PM
I doubt whether the guy was an actual employee of Hibs. More likely that he would invoice HFC for hours / events worked.

Do Hibs no anything about employment law??? If he wanted to he could take the club all the way to tribunal. Surely should have been suspended first then properly investigated.
At the most a written warning.

silverhibee
13-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Here we go, 'a bit crass' apparently.

Stuart Gilles your a tosser of the highest order.

Even having a wee dig at the Proclaimers, yer deluded ya trumpet. :lolyam::giruy:

hibsbollah
13-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Its not because of the Taxman song. It can't be.

_hucks_
13-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Its not because of the Taxman song. It can't be.

I agree. It would be so ridiculous that I'm almost certain that some significant details are as of yet unknown.

Johnny Clash
13-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Crazy.

What were Hearts fans doing at ER anyway?
Presumably there to cheer on Skacel - whose number is more of a wind up than playing Taxman.

Hope he gets his shift back coz a lot of his half time songs are pretty good!

hibsbollah
13-11-2012, 12:32 PM
I'll wait to hear the clubs version of events before getting the pitchfork out. Its The Sun dont forget. I have a feeling we havent heard the whole story...

Oscar T Grouch
13-11-2012, 12:34 PM
If what the papers say is true then Hibs should be ashamed of themselves for this sacking. I would like to see what the club says about this before believing a newspaper but on the face of it the guy should be congratulated for winding that manky mob up ('scuse the pun:greengrin) and he should not have been sacked ihmo

Green_one
13-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Definitely should be reinstated. Terrible move by the club.

Over reacation by the club. Actually damages us as it makes us look totally stupid. I do not believe the Green Day explanation.

Get it sorted! A FAMILY club does not just fire people on a whim or even when they make some sort of minor mistake.

What sort of example is that for children?

frazeHFC
13-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Missed the start of the game so never heard anything that was played, or at half time for that matter, but from what i have read seems it was just a laugh which is what we need, joke he jas been sacked!

AYE from me!

clerriehibs
13-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Ffs hibs!!! That rectum of a club, from top to bottom, have given us iit tight for years, and we rollover for them over this most innoccuous of jests. Christ it makes me angry!! Until we toughen up, we're their whipping boys forever.

The Baldmans Comb
13-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Get off your knees Hibs.

Poor show.

Weej1875
13-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Cabbage East
13-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Unless Hibs tell us why the boy was sacked, we're just speculating. I don't think there's any danger was sacked for playing that taxman song.

Malthibby
13-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Reinstate.
Complete over-reaction from Hibs.

diggy1874
13-11-2012, 01:00 PM
WE ONLY WON 0-7
WE ONLY WON 6-2

OneCityOneTeam

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Unless Hibs tell us why the boy was sacked, we're just speculating. I don't think there's any danger was sacked for playing that taxman song.That being the case they should come out and say so, that's all they need tae do. I dinnae expect them tae go in tae detail of why he was emptied if no for that but as usual Hibs far too slow tae react tae these things whether true or not and allow the situation tae ferment.

Cabbage East
13-11-2012, 01:03 PM
That being the case they should come out and say so, that's all they need tae do. I dinnae expect them tae go in tae detail of why he was emptied if no for that but as usual Hibs far too slow tae react and allow the situation tae ferment.

Aye but what we have here is the tabloids speculating and we're jumping on the bandwagon before hearing what the club have to say. Take a deep breath and wait and see how it pans out. You honestly think our club has sacked the boy because a handful of mutant jambos complained about him playing that song? I can't see it myself.

Leishy1995
13-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Why the hell sack a man for playing a song? A song that wasn't offensive and probably was something we wanted to happen?

Jim44
13-11-2012, 01:04 PM
We really are the wee team when we bow to pressure from that mob. A total embarrassment and an action which somehow lends moral support to their fight for survival.

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Aye but what we have here is the tabloids speculating and we're jumping on the bandwagon before hearing what the club have to say. Take a deep breath and wait and see how it pans out. You honestly think our club has sacked the boy because a handful of mutant jambos complained about him playing that song? I can't see it myself.That's my point, they always take too long tae say it and this is what happens. If these things are not true, they should be squashed right away.

homielang
Honestly if it was for playing Taxman that is absurd. He could have played Yellow Submarine. Less tongue in cheek.

Bad Martini
****ing unfair dismissal. The boy is paid to play songs. He plays a song by the most popular band I am history and is sacked.

Total ****ing joke.

blindsummit
13-11-2012, 01:08 PM
I will be e-mailing the club to complain about the sacking. It's completely ridiculous. Has everyone at ER completely lost their sense of humour? A total over-reaction.

Golden Bear
13-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Pathetic beyond belief.

There's got to be more to this story -------- surely.

:crazy:

Hibbyradge
13-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Tin hat time for the Radge.

Let me stress that my comments apply to Hibernian's official position, not that of the supporters.

Football fans can do what they want, and sing what they will, even though it may be distasteful, as long as it's within the law.

However, although I don't think it's very professional, I think there's a difference between club officials teasing an opposing team for their footballing performances or lack of success, compared to a club official being seen to openly enjoy the fact that an opponent is about to go into liquidation.

No professional football club should celebrate the loss of another. Sure, Hearts in the form of Mercer, tried to kill us off. That was wrong, but Hibernian FC are above petty revenge, 22 years later.

Hibs as a club, should make no comment on the Hearts situation, as tempting as it might be.

Not taking action against the announcer could be interpreted that Hibernian FC are officially enjoying Hearts terminal illness. We couldn't allow that accusation to have any substance.

Hibs have a very good business reputation to maintain as we have to work with the rest of the clubs in Scotland and elsewhere, most of whom do not share our supporters' glee at the prospect of Hearts going down the tubes.

I don't blame the guy and I can see why folk think that it was only intended as a gentle joke amongst ourselves. However, if my observations above are even close to the thoughts of the board, publicly replacing the announcer seems like the obvious option.

I do realise that it's not relevant to the principles being debated, but how much does someone who plays records for an hour every 2 weeks earn, anyway?

GraniteCityHibs
13-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Absolutely no chance that he wa sacked for that ONE incident, unless the clubs guidlines or codes of conduct were breached in some way that mean it was Gross Misconduct.

There are procedures and processes in any organisation regarding verbal warnings, formal verbal warnings and written warnings which they will have had to follow. I'd say this is more than likely an accumulation of offences.

I suppose 'Stadium announcer sacked for a number of offences as per club procedure and in line with labour legislation' isn't as good a headline right enough....

Leishy1995
13-11-2012, 01:15 PM
A lot of deleted messages on this thread now.. Is there a reason the orignial post from that guy changed from 5-1 to 7-0 and 6-2?

Hamish
13-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Tin hat time for the Radge.

Let me stress that my comments apply to Hibernian's official position, not that of the supporters.

Football fans can do what they want, and sing what they will, even though it may be distasteful, as long as it's within the law.

However, although I don't think it's very professional, I think there's a difference between club officials teasing an opposing team for their footballing performances or lack of success, compared to a club official being seen to openly enjoy the fact that an opponent is about to go into liquidation.

No professional football club should celebrate the loss of another. Sure, Hearts in the form of Mercer, tried to kill us off. That was wrong, but Hibernian FC are above petty revenge, 22 years later.

Hibs as a club, should make no comment on the Hearts situation, as tempting as it might be.

Not taking action against the announcer could be interpreted that Hibernian FC are officially enjoying Hearts terminal illness. We couldn't allow that accusation to have any substance.

Hibs have a very good business reputation to maintain as we have to work with the rest of the clubs in Scotland and elsewhere, most of whom do not share our supporters' glee at the prospect of Hearts going down the tubes.

I don't blame the guy and I can see why folk think that it was only intended as a gentle joke amongst ourselves. However, if my observations above are even close to the thoughts of the board, publicly replacing the announcer seems like the obvious option.

I do realise that it's not relevant to the principles being debated, but how much does someone who plays records for an hour every 2 weeks earn, anyway?

Excellent post. Exactly how I view this.

cabbageandribs1875
13-11-2012, 01:23 PM
A lot of deleted messages on this thread now.. Is there a reason the orignial post from that guy changed from 5-1 to 7-0 and 6-2?

think about it :rolleyes:

clerriehibs
13-11-2012, 01:25 PM

Mutant transgression.

Ross4356
13-11-2012, 01:26 PM
He should not have been sacked wether he played the taxman song or the Green Day one, a wee word in his ear would have been fine. However I would like to see someone else get the job, always thought the guy at the PBS did a good job getting their crowd excited. Would like to see someone a bit more like that at ER

Golden Bear
13-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Absolutely no chance that he wa sacked for that ONE incident, unless the clubs guidlines or codes of conduct were breached in some way that mean it was Gross Misconduct.

There are procedures and processes in any organisation regarding verbal warnings, formal verbal warnings and written warnings which they will have had to follow. I'd say this is more than likely an accumulation of offences.

I suppose 'Stadium announcer sacked for a number of offences as per club procedure and in line with labour legislation' isn't as good a headline right enough....

:agree:

That's my thoughts as well.

As things stand, there must be a danger that Hibs Net will be taken of the Internet because we're using the caricature of Hector the Taxman to mock the poor wee sowels over at piggery park.

:rolleyes:

clerriehibs
13-11-2012, 01:27 PM
He should not have been sacked wether he played the taxman song or the Green Day one, a wee word in his ear would have been fine. However I would like to see someone else get the job, always thought the guy at the PBS did a good job getting their crowd excited. Would like to see someone a bit more like that at ER

Our guy did go a wee bit like the pbs one (who plays the 'gay' tune) and got sacked.

matty_f
13-11-2012, 01:29 PM

Seriously?

joe breezy
13-11-2012, 01:30 PM
just emailed the board

Hello

I have subscribed to the Hibernians programme and support the club as much as I can.

I would also like to know if there are plans for a manager’s fund for fans to contribute to so that we can sign players such as Leigh Griffiths?

On a less positive note I am saddened to read that the stadium announcer has been sacked either for playing a Green Day song, with one swear word, or Taxman for the Beatles.

I was planning on supporting the club more in the coming months but for an instant dismissal for either of these ‘breaches of contract’ is way too harsh so I have decided to withdraw my support from the club if he isn’t reinstated.

I was going to go to all of the games over Xmas.

I shall be urging friends to take this action too, if the stadium announcer unfair dismissal isn’t addressed.

Yours faithfully

alnewhaven
13-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Was the plug pulled on Taxman, as I think only the opening bars and first verse were played?

allezsauzee
13-11-2012, 01:32 PM
How about we give Pa Kujabi the job of stadium announcer and only give him a Beatles cd to play...we should have grounds for dismissal by the end of the year.

matty_f
13-11-2012, 01:32 PM
just emailed the board

Hello

I have subscribed to the Hibernians programme and support the club as much as I can.

I would also like to know if there are plans for a manager’s fund for fans to contribute to so that we can sign players such as Leigh Griffiths?

On a less positive note I am saddened to read that the stadium announcer has been sacked either for playing a Green Day song, with one swear word, or Taxman for the Beatles.

I was planning on supporting the club more in the coming months but for an instant dismissal for either of these ‘breaches of contract’ is way too harsh so I have decided to withdraw my support from the club if he isn’t reinstated.

I shall be urging friends to take this action too, if the stadium announcer unfair dismissal isn’t addressed.

Yours faithfully

You're going to withdraw your support for the club, and encourage others to do so, after hearing one side of the story about the guy's dismissal?

Really?

hibbymac
13-11-2012, 01:35 PM
You're going to withdraw your support for the club, and encourage others to do so, after hearing one side of the story about the guy's dismissal?

Really?

:agree: .... :confused:

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 01:36 PM
just emailed the board

Hello

Yours faithfullyYour entitled tae your viewpoint but that's too far for me. I have let the club know what I think of this decision if the reason given is the correct one and that I think if that is the case the boy should get the gig back. Withdrawing support from the club though? Nae chance, I aim tae throw every spare pound (and then some) I have at hibs in the effort tae keep and improve on this current squad.

Leishy1995
13-11-2012, 01:39 PM
think about it :rolleyes:

Should just block his account or IP address

Shaggy
13-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Can only assume, casual or voluntary job.
Because it must be against all employment law, as I dont see it as serious misconduct, could be a claim in ...

The board are wrong,
they should be more focused on serving the Hibs support than pc pandering to Hearts or the Media.

CropleyWasGod
13-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Can only assume, casual or voluntary job.
Because it must be against all employment law, as I dont see it as serious misconduct, could be a claim in ...

The board are wrong,
they should be more focused on serving the Hibs support than pc pandering to Hearts or the Media.

What is "it", though? We still only have one half (the sensationalist half) of the story.

None of us can comment on "it" properly until we know the other half.

Leishy1995
13-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Seriously?

Why was the replies deleted? If they want to come over here giving out winding up statements let us reply.

Hibbyradge
13-11-2012, 01:44 PM
just emailed the board

Hello

Yours faithfully

Your priorities seem a bit skewed to me.

Hibs, a work in progress, are already playing the best football they have in years, with a squad that seems more united than I can remember.

Yet, you're going to withdraw support because some guy isn't allowed to play records that you probably don't even listen to, for an hour every 2 weeks.

You don't even know if there was a "breach of contract". Would an announcer would even have a contract? He may not even have been paid. Loads of people help Hibs out for no remuneration.

Saturday's are going to be a bit lonely for you, Joe Breezy, as I can't imagine any of your friends missing matches over this tiny issue.

IWasThere2016
13-11-2012, 01:45 PM
... Hibs as a club, should make no comment on the Hearts situation, as tempting as it might be...

Did RP no do this though in a statement a wee while back?

Hibbyradge
13-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Did RP no do this though in a statement a wee while back?

:dunno:

He made a statement about Hibs position regarding Rangers, rightly so, as we were involved in a vote, but I don't remember him saying anything about Hearts.

Maybe he said something about Hibs not letting Hearts sell our derby, but this is different.

A wee while back Hearts weren't having cake bakes and facing imminent liquidation.

joe breezy
13-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Your priorities seem a bit skewed to me.

Hibs, a work in progress, are already playing the best football they have in years, with a squad that seems more united than I can remember.

Yet, you're going to withdraw support because some guy isn't allowed to play records that you probably don't even listen to, for an hour every 2 weeks.

You don't even know if there was a "breach of contract". Would an announcer would even have a contract? He may not even have been paid. Loads of people help Hibs out for no remuneration.

Saturday's are going to be a bit lonely for you, Joe Breezy, as I can't imagine any of your friends missing matches over this tiny issue.

I'm easy, I'm at least taking action. a stadium announcer shouldn't be sacked for this one thing, simple. Saturdays are mostly spent watching Jeff Stelling I'm afraid as I live on the Essex / London border.

I was up for the game on Sunday though and enjoyed the Beatles record in the current context.

hibsbollah
13-11-2012, 01:58 PM
My Geordie pal living down south, who takes little interest in Scottish football, has just texted me asking if I fancy the stadium announcer gig. Clearly this story is getting big:confused:

iwasthere1972
13-11-2012, 01:58 PM
just emailed the board

Hello

Yours faithfully

The reason for Junk Email Filter.

Got to say it's a bit extreme. I can imagine that these type of emails get printed out and inserted in homemade Chrstmas crackers for the Hibs staff Christmas party.

iwasthere1972
13-11-2012, 02:01 PM
My Geordie pal, who takes little interest in Scottish football, has just texted me asking if I fancy the stadium announcer gig. Clearly this story is getting big:confused:

Even on the SSN info bar. :agree:

matty_f
13-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Why was the replies deleted? If they want to come over here giving out winding up statements let us reply.

Because that just encourages them.

We also did it for the boy's own sake as well, I mean, it's bad enough that he's felt the need to come on for a wind up, he's a yam so he'll have nae mates, will never, ever have had a ride, and is about to watch his club go pop faster than one of the many plukes on his spotty wee Yam puss.

His self-esteem would be low enough without us all ripping the pish right out of him.

The Harp
13-11-2012, 02:06 PM
If the Club have sacked WD for his choice of music, either Taxman or the green Day number, then IMO it's ridiculous. Something tells me that there's more to it somehow and that they're using this as a way of getting rid. If not, then there's little doubt in my mind that he should receive an apology and be reinstated. Whether WD would accept it or not is a different matter - if it was me I'd tell them where to stick it.

HiBremian
13-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Funny, I always thought that George Harrison penned Taxman as an attack on the all-devouring HMRC ("one for you, 19 for me" etc) and a message of solidarity with all their victims, presumably HoMFC included.

hibbybrian
13-11-2012, 02:15 PM
My Geordie pal, who takes little interest in Scottish football, has just texted me asking if I fancy the stadium announcer gig. Clearly this story is getting big:confused:

Even on the SSN info bar. :agree:

No 1 story on the front page on Yahoo too.

I reckon Rod's maybe playing a blinder here - gets the announcer to play the song then cuts it off. He then reports that some Hearts fans have called in to protest about the song and states that the announcer has been sacked. This shows the jambos in a poor light as saddos who cant take a joke and Hibs being a responsible Club not wanting to poke fun at the jam tarts.

Instead of a few folk at the game getting a smirk at the jambos, we now have the media splashing the story nationwide about the jambos having problems with the taxman and a thread on Boakback where most are apparently saying there was nowt wrong in playing the song.

I expect Hibs will make an announcement that they have reconsidered the situation and the announcer is reinstated and Hibs will be free to play whatever records they want from now on taking the mickey out of our neighbours. :greengrin

Kato
13-11-2012, 02:21 PM
He should have just played the intro to "Start" by The Jam, and no one would have been any the wiser.

In fact he should have played that whole song...

"If I never ever see you again,
It would be a start..."

Frazerbob
13-11-2012, 02:23 PM

He won't have been an employee of Hibernian, he would have been an employee of a DJ supplier. All Hibs need to do is tell the company that he is no longer wanted and they will replace him. No disciplinary proceedures required.

Purehibee_MYB
13-11-2012, 02:26 PM
He should have just played the intro to "Start" by The Jam, and no one would have been any the wiser.

In fact he should have played that whole song...

"If I never ever see you again,
It would be a start..."

I thought it was Start when it first came on..

Then the penny dropped, and I could not stop laughing. :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
13-11-2012, 02:31 PM
No 1 story on the front page on Yahoo too.

I reckon Rod's maybe playing a blinder here - gets the announcer to play the song then cuts it off. He then reports that some Hearts fans have called in to protest about the song and states that the announcer has been sacked. This shows the jambos in a poor light as saddos who cant take a joke and Hibs being a responsible Club not wanting to poke fun at the jam tarts.

Instead of a few folk at the game getting a smirk at the jambos, we now have the media splashing the story nationwide about the jambos having problems with the taxman and a thread on Boakback where most are apparently saying there was nowt wrong in playing the song.

I expect Hibs will make an announcement that they have reconsidered the situation and the announcer is reinstated and Hibs will be free to play whatever records they want from now on taking the mickey out of our neighbours. :greengrin

The genius of Rod:not worth

euansdad
13-11-2012, 02:36 PM
All a bit petty. Surely a warning would have sufficed

silverhibee
13-11-2012, 02:42 PM
OMG :greengrin

Teo10
13-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Or simply this is Petrie's way of kickstarting his DJ Career?:greengrin

Judas Iscariot
13-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Or simply this is Petrie's way of kickstarting his DJ Career?:greengrin

Spot on

Saves a wage :aok:

norhfc
13-11-2012, 03:16 PM
actually really embarrassed by Hibs actions here,have had a few comments already from other fans.
Thought we where above such rash and poorly thought out decisions.
Though I totally agree that the club should not officially comment on our neighbours plight.

Northern Hibby
13-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Could we get an East Terrace plaque for the announcer/DJ

Dashing Bob S
13-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Funny, I always thought that George Harrison penned Taxman as an attack on the all-devouring HMRC ("one for you, 19 for me" etc) and a message of solidarity with all their victims, presumably HoMFC included.

Agree completely.

Lester B
13-11-2012, 03:50 PM

Given his working pattern I think it's highly unlikely that he is an employee in the legal sense. Issues around Gross Misconduct, warnings, etc are not therefore applicable here if he does not have employee status.

In other words they can fire him easily.

YehButNoBut
13-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Hearts player Ryan McGowan joined the debate. He Tweeted:

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1522308189/0__10289_9817392_00_normal.gifRyan McGowan@rmcgowan89 (https://twitter.com/rmcgowan89)

Haha can't believe I'm hearing hibs have sacked the stadium announcer for a bit of banter....worlds gone mad #cantcrackajoke (https://twitter.com/search/%23cantcrackajoke) #chillout (https://twitter.com/search/%23chillout)

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/magazine/200320-hearts-fans-back-hibs-announcer-sacked-over-taxman-joke/

WarringtonHibee
13-11-2012, 03:53 PM
@HibernianFCClub have blocked ME on Twitter! Who runs that account? Pathetic. Granted I was pissed off, but rightly so, bunch of welts behind the scenes. :grr:

@HibernianFCClub Why sack the announcer?! **** THEM, who cares if we upset THEM? Pathetic move by the club. #fannies

@HibernianFCClub we've changed on the pitch and in the stands, but it seems those behind the scenes at Easter Road are still a soft touch

CropleyWasGod
13-11-2012, 04:02 PM
@HibernianFCClub have blocked ME on Twitter! Who runs that account? Pathetic. Granted I was pissed off, but rightly so, bunch of welts behind the scenes. :grr:

@HibernianFCClub Why sack the announcer?! **** THEM, who cares if we upset THEM? Pathetic move by the club. #fannies

@HibernianFCClub we've changed on the pitch and in the stands, but it seems those behind the scenes at Easter Road are still a soft touch

Are you surprised that they've blocked you? :greengrin

WarringtonHibee
13-11-2012, 04:03 PM
My train was also late so I was doubly annoyed generally, but still... I'm just pointing out the facts in a more abrasive manner than I usually would. To be honest whoever runs that account comes up with the worst hashtags ever...

#softTouch :wink:

matty_f
13-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Would think it was your second tweet that got you blocked. Not surprised either, tbh.

matty_f
13-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Hearts player Ryan McGowan joined the debate. He Tweeted:

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1522308189/0__10289_9817392_00_normal.gifRyan McGowan@rmcgowan89 (https://twitter.com/rmcgowan89)

Haha can't believe I'm hearing hibs have sacked the stadium announcer for a bit of banter....worlds gone mad #cantcrackajoke (https://twitter.com/search/%23cantcrackajoke) #chillout (https://twitter.com/search/%23chillout)

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/magazine/200320-hearts-fans-back-hibs-announcer-sacked-over-taxman-joke/

He should shut it and get back to baking cakes or pulling pints or whatever he's not getting paid to do.

Hibercelona
13-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Even if it was for the Greenday song, it's still ridiculous.

If parent's are so concerned about their children hearing any naughty words, then the last thing they would do is take them to a football game, especially one that was always going to be heated like this.

Are they going to ban the hundreds of fans that were chanting "****ing refugee"? Or is that more acceptable because it would cost the club too much money to ban them as well?

Give the man his job back.

Barman Stanton
13-11-2012, 04:15 PM
This is not making Hibs look good at all. Terrible decision. I have sent my email to the club.

Lester B
13-11-2012, 04:24 PM
. To be honest whoever runs that account comes up with the worst hashtags ever...
:

So you would prefer they followed your example and used good hash tags like #fannies ?:rolleyes:

silverhibee
13-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Would think it was your second tweet that got you blocked. Not surprised either, tbh.

Bad day for folk getting out of the wrong side of the bed this morning i would say. :greengrin

WarringtonHibee
13-11-2012, 04:27 PM
So you would prefer they followed your example and used good hash tags like #fannies ?:rolleyes:

Of course not, but I'm not paid to Tweet :wink:

shetlandhibee
13-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Was being nosey on kickback and there is a thread bout is sacking out stadium announcer due to song choice on Sunday ? Anyone know anything ? what was the song choice?

archiebald
13-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Hope RP will not have us all chucked out for singing Sunshine on Leith

SMAXXA
13-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Crazy decision by the club if that's why he's been given the bullet. I think the clubs got more negative publicity with their actions than they would have if it had been given a deaf ear.

Lester B
13-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Of course not, but I'm not paid to Tweet :wink:

Good point well made. Now the dust has settled it maybe wasn't the best way to make a nevertheless valid point though.

Tha Cabbage Kid
13-11-2012, 05:02 PM
i think in ole to the stadium dj we should try to come up with some personalised lyrics for the jams so we can keep it going!"!!!!

sevenil
13-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Words fail me......................for goodness seek reverse this ludicrous decision. There are more things to be concerned about than whether Hearts fans are able to stand a bit of mild leg pulling.

At the end of the day they made their own bed by inviting the Madman in the door. Some light ruffling of their feathers seems fair enough in all the circumstances. Everyone's tax burden gets potentially heavier because two football clubs decide that taxes are optional, and that they have almost the same status as Charities. It's criminal - is that why the Madman hasn't been seen for a while?

snooky
13-11-2012, 05:28 PM
This is shocking. I think a boycott for the next home game should be considered!

Better still, let's add Taxman to the singing section's repertoire - all together now "TAXMAN"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqK97av7I3s

Elephant Stone
13-11-2012, 05:39 PM
I really hope there's more to it than just playing 'Taxman'.

Sacking our song guy for playing that but saying nothing about the blatantly racist singing about Skacel would not be our finest hour.

snooky
13-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Very good point! :agree:

Also if it's made National News is that not the last thing RP would want? Adverse publicity if that's how he views the playing of "Taxman".
In retrospect he would have been better giving the DJ a shot across the bows re future conduct.
A short apology in the press would have sufficed if he felt there was a need to address the matter.

skipster7
13-11-2012, 05:58 PM
I remember before the unbeatables game just after Burleys sacking, the DJ played " puppet on a string" and " the killing of Georgie".Dont think that guy lost his job. If taxman is the reason its a total own goal by Hibs.:rolleyes:

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 06:02 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20121113/club-statement_2262950_2979668

Part/Time Supporter
13-11-2012, 06:02 PM

Hibernian FC today moved to address supporter concerns around action taken by the Club against the Stadium Announcer.

The Club stressed that speculation that the action had been taken as a song played may have offended supporters of another club is not correct.

Rather the action has been taken because the individual chose to wilfully disregard specific instructions given in the pre-match briefing which itself was consistent with guidance given during the week in the run-up to the match at Easter Road Stadium on Sunday, which was broadcast live on television.

The stadium announcer is not an employee of the Club, but is contracted to provide the service. In doing so, he operates as part of the Club's official channels of communications - which also includes the Club website and match day programme.

Under SPL and SFA rules, the Club is directly responsible for what the Stadium Announcer does, says and plays. For that reason, the Club has specific guidelines in place and before each match detailed briefings take place.

These reflect the values and behaviours the Club and its Supporters believe Hibernian FC should stand for. The conduct of other clubs is a matter for them.

Before our recent home match against Dundee United discussions took place and specific instructions were given. The individual concerned has admitted that he deliberately breached the terms of the instructions the Club had given. The Club was left with no option but to take the course of action it did.

This is not an issue about having or not having a sense of humour. Nor is it a decision based on whether supporters of other clubs have or do not have a grievance with what happened.

What is important is that those delivering official communications on behalf of Hibernian FC act in a way which the Club sees as both appropriate and professional.

Mikey
13-11-2012, 06:03 PM

I suspected that that might be closer to the reason for their decision.

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I suspected that that might be closer to the reason for their decision.Now why couldn't they have done that 1st thing instead of letting it stew all day, too slow as usual. If stuff is printed in papers that is rubbish then the club should act much quicker and squash it immediately.

Paisley Hibby
13-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Now why couldn't they have done that 1st thing instead of letting it stew all day, too slow as usual. If stuff is printed in papers that is rubbish then the club should act much quicker and squash it immediately.

Hopefull delay was because senior folk at the club were very busy with negotiations to extend the stays of Claros, Griffiths and McGivern :greengrin

frasco
13-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Does no one remember 'electric six - gay bar' being played after that derby Paul Hartley got it tight for 90 mins. Surely that would have provoked more anger to the general public than this occasion?

Part/Time Supporter
13-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Does no one remember 'electric six - gay bar' being played after that derby Paul Hartley got it tight for 90 mins. Surely that would have provoked more anger to the general public than this occasion?

I'm pretty sure that the rules regarding offensive behaviour have been changed since then, I think part of the new legislation.

ie in the past a DJ could play a record and Hibs could turn round and say, oh it was nothing to do with us guv, whereas now the club is responsible for any behaviour within their stadium. eg Celtic being charged by the SFA for that fans' banner that showed someone shooting a Rangers zombie.

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Hopefull delay was because senior folk at the club were very busy with negotiations to extend the stays of Claros, Griffiths and McGivern :greengrinaye maybe they were busy with that :pray: but seriously, I've said it before and I'll say it again, this club needs tae be mair proactive instead of reactive. They must have known there would have been a story when the boy got emptied, that statement should have been prepared and ready to go up first thing as soon as the story came out. With Hibs this same thing happens time efter time.

Peevemor
13-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Sometimes (fairly often in fact) people on here go way over the top about stuff without knowing the full story. I suggested a few pages back that the guy had maybe gone against explicit instructions by playing the the song (or part of it). According to the statement this is what happened, the guy's admitted it and the club have binned him. It's no big deal - he's not a star player, he's not on a long term contract - he tries to ba a smart arse and now he's paid for it.

Time to move on.

Cabbage East
13-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Sometimes (fairly often in fact) people on here go way over the top about stuff without knowing the full story. I suggested a few pages back that the guy had maybe gone against explicit instructions by playing the the song (or part of it). According to the statement this is what happened, the guy's admitted it and the club have binned him. It's no big deal - he's not a star player, he's not on a long term contract - he tries to ba a smart arse and now he's paid for it.

Time to move on.

Exactly what I said. Folk emailing the club telling them they're not coming to games anymore :faf:

Jesus wept.

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 07:15 PM

Time to move on.The point is why did it and why does it always take so long for those at Hibs tae react tae any situation? When there is only one side of a story it's human nature tae speculate. Hibs should get their side out immediately and not allow these thing tae grow legs, if that statement came out at 9am instead of 6:30pm a lot of this thread wouldnae exist. Even if this site didnae exist it was all over loads of other places too.

flash
13-11-2012, 07:18 PM
This is not making Hibs look good at all. Terrible decision. I have sent my email to the club.

Hit that recall button before its too late.

lord bunberry
13-11-2012, 07:32 PM

I think that statement is a round about way of confirming the story's in today's papers

leggeto
13-11-2012, 07:36 PM
never heard any of the music had my kids there too and they never heard any bad words, cant sack a man for cheeky banter or an honest mistake:flag:

Hibercelona
13-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Fair play to the club for releasing the statement.

If clear guidelines were made to the announcer leading up to the match and he deliberately broke them, then I suppose the appropriate action had to be taken.

Peevemor
13-11-2012, 07:45 PM
The point is why did it and why does it always take so long for those at Hibs tae react tae any situation? When there is only one side of a story it's human nature tae speculate. Hibs should get their side out immediately and not allow these thing tae grow legs, if that statement came out at 9am instead of 6:30pm a lot of this thread wouldnae exist. Even if this site didnae exist it was all over loads of other places too.

It took them what? A whole day and a half? I personally think that the club are becoming better and better with their statements reacting to speculation on various issues.

Saorsa
13-11-2012, 07:50 PM
It took them what? A whole day and a half? I personally think that the club are becoming better and better with their statements reacting to speculation on various issues.and look at this thread. They must have had an idea that some sort of story would come form the boy being emptied and should have had that statement ready tae put up as soon as the story broke, it surely didnae take them that long tae come up with a suitable statement. I think at this time we'll disagree on how well they are doing tae react tae situations, not quick enough IMO, naewhere near it..

hibbymac
13-11-2012, 07:51 PM
never heard any of the music had my kids there too and they never heard any bad words, cant sack a man for cheeky banter or an honest mistake:flag:

I take it you haven't read the official statement.

Bristolhibby
13-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Could the official direction that Hibs gave be "Don't play that Taxman song".

In which case he rightfully ignored that for a bit of a laugh.

Can Hibs be more specific?

J

clerriehibs
13-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I think that statement is a round about way of confirming the story's in today's papers

:top marks

Exactly. The boy maybe didn't get turfed because he offended a bloodyturd. He got turfed because he disobeyed instructions NOT to offend the awfully sensitive bloodyturds.

Meanwhile, scott wilson trots out seven nation army ad infinitum (maybe not ad infinitum now :greengrin) at tinycastle.

Baldy Foghorn
13-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Hibs have made statement, and there were guidelines in place which the DJ did not adhere to......

However, what was so bad in allowing song to be played.....We were playing Dundee Utd, (one of their players loves goading us), and the yams love to "make some noise", and roll out endless old "heroes" when playing us at the piggery.....Are we not allowed to join in with a bit of fun at our rival's expense now??

Seems a real shame, and there is a fine line between being professional and being deemed as too soft......We need to start being nastier.....If playing songs on tannoy upsets our neighbour's then tough IMO

lord bunberry
13-11-2012, 08:57 PM
:top marks

Exactly. The boy maybe didn't get turfed because he offended a bloodyturd. He got turfed because he disobeyed instructions NOT to offend the awfully sensitive bloodyturds.

Meanwhile, scott wilson trots out seven nation army ad infinitum (maybe not ad infinitum now :greengrin) at tinycastle.

That's exactly how i read it the guy has been sacked for playing the taxman song

Capt Mainwaring
13-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Punishment doesn't fit the "crime" in my opinion. Verbal warning should have been sufficient

Some very unnecessary poor PR generated today

sesoim
13-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Fair enough, the guy broke rules that were given to him but for me, this is just another example of football becoming painfully pc. No wonder crowds are going down and atmosphere is dying at most grounds when we're getting to the stage where no one can make a noise in public in case it is considered offensive to someone. This was harmless fun, nothing else, and it just makes our club look like it's run by a bunch of a***s.

Eyrie
13-11-2012, 09:10 PM
A charitable interpretation of that statement would be that it is disingenuous.

Ostensibly the club are denying that the DJ was sacked for playing "Taxman", because that is the story being run by the media which they are responding to. But the way it is worded leaves it clear that he was told not to play anything which could be construed as a reference to Hearts and was fired for then doing just that.

I still think he should be reinstated.

ancient hibee
13-11-2012, 09:14 PM
The more people employed by Hibs that realise that if you do something that you've been told not to do then there will be consequences the better.Hope it applies to everyone in the club.

fat freddy
13-11-2012, 09:15 PM
give the guy his job back..there cant be a single fan of the club that agrees with this decision....listen to your customers mr. petrie!!

bingo70
13-11-2012, 09:16 PM
After reading the club statement I still think it was a pathetic decision.

Was a stupid rule to give the dj and although he broke the rule why not just have a word with him and if that wasn't enough put an apology on the website?

If everyone lost there job or a contract when they did something they weren't meant to at work there'd be a lot more unemployed people than there currently are.

Jim44
13-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Just when we're beginning to get things right on the park, the management make a laughing stock of us with their pathetic pc pedantry.

PatHead
13-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Think the Matchday Experience people on LWT need to take this further tomorrow.

Hibby 2005
13-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Personally, I think we should just let it be.

truehibernian
13-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Just when we're beginning to get things right on the park, the management make a laughing stock of us with their pathetic pc pedantry.

How a 'laughing stock' ? Nobody other than Hibs and the DJ know what was discussed at the briefing, nor do you, I or anyone know if there had been previous misdemeanours or concerns before - I admit that it sounds very harsh to sack the guy - but if there has been an instruction from the boss and you blatantly ignore it you have to face the music - or not as the DJ is finding out.

Maybe there is now a better opportunity for a DJ/announcer with far more enthusiasm and better playlists.

I go to ER to watch the football and I have to say the announcer is the least of my concerns - best announcer in Scotland however is the old wifey at East Fife - banter is superb, lovely woman and she'd last 5 minutes at Easter Road if this incident is anything to go by.

clerriehibs
13-11-2012, 09:28 PM
give the guy his job back..there cant be a single fan of the club that agrees with this decision....listen to your customers mr. petrie!!

I think rod's being overly careful here because of his position on the committee

Cabbage East
13-11-2012, 09:30 PM
If you ask me I think the club know exactly how important it is for us to win this derby and don't want to get involved in anything that will give them any more motivation.

Part/Time Supporter
13-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Personally, I think we should just let it be.

We all need to come together on this issue.

basehibby
13-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Unbelievable this guy got the sack - MUST be reinstated IMO. I posted on a different thread that I disagree with the Skatchel/refugee song which IS offensive.

But what the announcer did on Saturday surely comes into the category of harmless banter - sacking him because some Jamturd halfwit made a pretence at being offended is just plain ridiculous - reinstate him NOW :fuming:

Viva_Palmeiras
13-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Think the Matchday Experience people on LWT need to take this further tomorrow.

At the first meeting discipline was one of many hot topics that evening and the conduct of employees of the club - players in that instance.

Surely discipline applies to all employees and there should be consequences for admitting deliberately disobeying orders ? Does and will this act as a warning to others I wonder ? Or are there exceptions and therefore inconsistencies in how and when it should be applied? Then of course there is common-sense...

Could it be that we learn that there are ways we'd like the club to respond that turn out to be incompatible with how the club is bound to conduct itself by the SPL and with Rod's position in the SFA we need to be seen to be setting the right example?

It will be an interesting discussion but to what extent should it be prioritised against other issues?

jamesjamieson
13-11-2012, 09:41 PM
This is a poor decision by Hibs. I thought the DJ was good - and didn't play the crap that other DJs have played (e.g. a certain Radio Forth DJ). I thought playing 'Shout to the Top' by Style Council at the end showed a bit of taste.

I've signed up to the Facebook page and I hope you do too - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Back-Willie-Docherty/381621671923066.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-11-2012, 09:50 PM
If you ask me I think the club know exactly how important it is for us to win this derby and don't want to get involved in anything that will give them any more motivation.

Interesting angle hadn't thought of that but you could well be right.

Big_Franck
13-11-2012, 10:15 PM
If the instructions given to the DJ were to not play anything that could be seen as laughing at them across the city, then that is where I, and i'm sure many others, have an issue. I would obviously not condone him playing anything offensive, nor would I want us to be as tacky and classless as those eejits in gorgie. However, we should be allowed to have a wee laugh at our main rivals when they are struggling.

This is the line that I found most interesting in the statement:

"These reflect the values and behaviours the Club and its Supporters believe Hibernian FC should stand for."

From the reaction on here, the instructions given (IF they were not to in any way have a laugh at Hearts' expense) do not reflect the values and behaviours that we, the fans, think Hibs should stand for.

Lighten up Hibs FFS.

Lucius Apuleius
13-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Blatant disregard of company rules and management orders? Sack. Do as the management say, no sack.

WarringtonHibee
13-11-2012, 10:40 PM
That statement is garbage.

Again, I reiterate - soft touch.

Christ, you'd think that the DJ played some Anal ******...

sahib
13-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Blatant disregard of company rules and management orders? Sack. Do as the management say, no sack.

I have often wondered what sort of moral outlook is required to be a state torturer or concentration camp guard.:wink:

SaulGoodman
13-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Think people are missing the point here, okay it's a bit tedious but he's been told not to do something and he's done it.

If your boss tells you not to do something you don't do it, simple.

Of course I feel sorry for the guy at the same time

VickMackie
13-11-2012, 10:53 PM
If the instructions given to the DJ were to not play anything that could be seen as laughing at them across the city, then that is where I, and i'm sure many others, have an issue. I would obviously not condone him playing anything offensive, nor would I want us to be as tacky and classless as those eejits in gorgie. However, we should be allowed to have a wee laugh at our main rivals when they are struggling.

This is the line that I found most interesting in the statement:

"These reflect the values and behaviours the Club and its Supporters believe Hibernian FC should stand for."

From the reaction on here, the instructions given (IF they were not to in any way have a laugh at Hearts' expense) do not reflect the values and behaviours that we, the fans, think Hibs should stand for.

Lighten up Hibs FFS.

That part of the statement stuck out at me aswell. A lot of pish. Taking the pish out of hearts is exactly the values I hold!

I can understand that the employee can't be trusted now after being given specific instructions. In future he could play something more controversial e.g. Rangers or Celtic turn up and he plays some bigoted crap. Obviously that's a worst case scenario but it appears that's what the club are guarding against.

Still don't agree with the decision.

GORDONSMITH7
13-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Right get this intae perspective. The guy played 30 seconds of a song mocking the Merricks. It put a smile on the faces of fans at the game, including Arabs I suspect. The drivel in the Official Statement saying that it was neither about the song nor what other fans think or other Clubs do has been ripped by others so no need for me to say more. What is disappointing is the tone of some on this thread who whilst are very much entitled to their opinion remind me of auld gaffers who were employed in the docks in the decades prior to me starting there 40+ years ago, defending sacking folk for **** all or very little. You would think he had sold secrets to the Russians. Instead of capitalizing on our remarkable success over the past period this cack handed, grubby incident has of course done the opposite.

BIG G

iwasthere1972
13-11-2012, 11:11 PM

We all need to come together on this issue.

I'm pretty certain we can work it out.

Bostonhibby
13-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Right get this intae perspective. The guy played 30 seconds of a song mocking the Merricks. It put a smile on the faces of fans at the game, including Arabs I suspect. The drivel in the Official Statement saying that it was neither about the song nor what other fans think or other Clubs do has been ripped by others so no need for me to say more. What is disappointing is the tone of some on this thread who whilst are very much entitled to their opinion remind me of auld gaffers who were employed in the docks in the decades prior to me starting there 40+ years ago, defending sacking folk for **** all or very little. You would think he had sold secrets to the Russians. Instead of capitalizing on our remarkable success over the past period this cack handed, grubby incident has of course done the opposite.

BIG G

:thumbsup: technical breach of instruction maybe, happens all the time and normally there's a first warning and the usual HR bumf - but moving straight to dismissal? - not what I would expect of us - Sledgehammer to crack a walnut. Did the Hun sack Gascoigne for his flute blowing effort and the possible fall out from it?

basehibby
13-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Think people are missing the point here, okay it's a bit tedious but he's been told not to do something and he's done it.

If your boss tells you not to do something you don't do it, simple.

Of course I feel sorry for the guy at the same time

Told not to do what though???

He played what 10 seconds of a song which even your maiden aunt could NOT have found the slightest bit offensive!

Some puddle licking attention seeking YAM (not even a paying customer FFS!) calls in to blow his trumpet about it and a man gets the sack?!? RIDICULOUS DECISION!

I was at the game and my ears pricked up as soon as the opening bars of this Beatles classic pipped up. Why? Because it was going to offend some YAM muppets? NO! Because it's a brilliant song??? YES!!!

The only reason I was annoyed was that he didn't play what is a great song in it's entirety - whoever made the decision to sack the announcer over this needs HIS/HER job reviewed because they are in the entertainment business and they're supposed to be entertaining US! If some YAM trumpet takes the huff at what was just an amusing bit of banter designed to put a smile on OUR faces (and successfully so) then so much the better IMO!

Reinstate HIM - NOW!

Hibby 2005
13-11-2012, 11:19 PM

BIG G

Perfectly summed up. Pat Fenlon will be shaking his head at all this. A PR disaster from the tacheman.

iwasthere1972
13-11-2012, 11:22 PM

He played what 10 seconds of a song which even your maiden aunt could NOT have found the slightest bit offensive!

Some puddle licking attention seeking YAM (not even a paying customer FFS!) calls in to blow his trumpet about it and a man gets the sack?!? RIDICULOUS DECISION!

I was at the game and my ears pricked up as soon as the opening bars of this Beatles classic pipped up. Why? Because it was going to offend some YAM muppets? NO! Because it's a brilliant song??? YES!!!

The only reason I was annoyed was that he didn't play what is a great song in it's entirety - whoever made the decision to sack the announcer over this needs HIS/HER job reviewed because they are in the entertainment business and they're supposed to be entertaining US! If some YAM trumpet takes the huff at what was just an amusing bit of banter designed to put a smile on OUR faces (and successfully so) then so much the better IMO!

Reinstate HIM - NOW!

:agree: Have to agree. Because of the antics in Gorgie, playlists at Easter Road will now have to be censored in fear of offending them. There must be hundred of classic songs that won't be aired again at Easter Road until that lot cease to be. Roll on December 2nd.

Bostonhibby
13-11-2012, 11:34 PM
:agree: Have to agree. Because of the antics in Gorgie, playlists at Easter Road will now have to be censored in fear of offending them. There must be hundred of classic songs that won't be aired again at Easter Road until that lot cease to be. Roll on December 2nd.

agree: Down here we have been rehearsing Ain't No Stopping Us Now for ages in anticipation of the great day - we've even bought the jackets - does this mean the club will disown us?

Speedy
13-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Fair play to the club for releasing the statement.

If clear guidelines were made to the announcer leading up to the match and he deliberately broke them, then I suppose the appropriate action had to be taken.

My initial reaction was that it was very harsh but having read the statement I can't say I'm surprised or overly bothered.

If it had been an employee of the club it would've been very different but in this situation the club is a customer of this guy's company.

No matter what line of work you are in, if you deliberately ignore your customer's wishes then there's a good chance your customer will go elsewhere.

Jonnyboy
14-11-2012, 12:10 AM

Reinstate HIM - NOW!

From the club's statement on the official site :wink:

The Club stressed that speculation that the action had been taken as a song played may have offended supporters of another club is not correct.

I think your first line says it all as we don't know what he was told not to do.

BTW I'm not saying the club is lily white in dealing with this. They could have handled it better than they did IMO

Hibbyradge
14-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Of course Hibs are right.

The guy deliberately did something he was specifically asked and paid, not to do.

Presumably, he agreed to those conditions, but decided he would do it anyway.

Which bit of that isn't sackable?

He's not even a Hibs employee. How can he be trusted to do his, let's face it, not too difficult, job to the standards Hibs require again?

I think it was a Hibby who decided that making his mates laugh at the Yams expense was just too tempting and worth losing his one hour every two weeks job.

Fair enough. I would probably have done the same thing, but I would know my announcing days were over.

hibee_nation
14-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Of course Hibs are right.

The guy deliberately did something he was specifically asked and paid, not to do.

Presumably, he agreed to those conditions, but decided he would do it anyway.

Which bit of that isn't sackable?

He's not even a Hibs employee. How can he be trusted to do his, let's face it, not too difficult, job to the standards Hibs require again?

I think it was a Hibby who decided that making his mates laugh at the Yams expense was just too tempting and worth losing his one hour every two weeks job.

Fair enough. I would probably have done the same thing, but I would know my announcing days were over.

No they are not right. They should not be so analy retentive to give the guy those instructions. He should have started with Money Money Money and carried on ripping them for the full 15 mins as a big GIRUT. Stop being so bloody wet Hibs.

Hibbyradge
14-11-2012, 01:00 AM
No they are not right. They should not be so analy retentive to give the guy those instructions. He should have started with Money Money Money and carried on ripping them for the full 15 mins as a big GIRUT. Stop being so bloody wet Hibs.

If I employ you and give you a perfectly simple and legal instruction, but you deliberately disobey it because you think you're being funny, what chance do you think you'd have of getting more work?