PDA

View Full Version : League restructuring proposal

Off the bar
12-11-2012, 05:32 PM
new set up for scottish football

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20302632

Off the bar
12-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Colt sides from Celtic and Rangers playing in senior football forms part of a proposal to reorganise the Scottish game from season 2015-16.
The plan from the Scottish Football League, to be discussed by its clubs on Wednesday, would result in the end of the Scottish Premier League.
Instead, the present four-tiers would be reorganised into three leagues of 16, 10 and 18 teams.
Celtic and Rangers would provide the two extra teams.
More to follow.

ChooseLife
12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
No thanks, go back and try again :bye:

euansdad
12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Call me cynical but I think the trigger for restructuring is to get rangers back in the top league ASAP

HibeeN
12-11-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm confused - what happens when Sevco play Sevco reserves? Is that not a conflict of interest? :greengrin

HibeeMG
12-11-2012, 05:38 PM
If they need two extra teams to make up the numbers there's teams that have been waiting (and applying) for a long time, Spartan's to name one.

As said above, go back and try again.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Ah the game-changer. Well it was only a question of time. Lets see the extent to which slates will be wiped clean for the greater good of Scottish football. Traynor has already been prophecising of teams falling like dominoes if Hearts fold.

Off the bar
12-11-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm confused - what happens when Sevco play Sevco reserves? Is that not a conflict of interest? :greengrin

not sure but do barcelona and real madrid not do a similar thing in spain?

JohnStephens91
12-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Celtic and Rangers would provide the two extra teams.

Awful decision to have that, there are plenty of sides such as Spartans who deserve and who want the chance to play in the football league. All that is going to happen is that Celtic and The Rangers FC 2012 are going to have young players in the reserves gaining a lot more experience than playing in an u-20 league.

Makaveli
12-11-2012, 05:42 PM
If they need two extra teams to make up the numbers there's teams that have been waiting (and applying) for a long time, Spartan's to name one.

As said above, go back and try again.

Exactly: utterly unacceptable to waste the spaces like that when so many decent clubs have been waiting.

And as for Sevco... in all seriousness, what business does a club barely leading the fourth tier have getting a colt side?

allezsauzee
12-11-2012, 05:42 PM

Aye and if there was ever a league set up to benefit 2 big clubs to the detriment of the others it's Spain's.....well apart from Scotland!

JeMeSouviens
12-11-2012, 05:43 PM
There's no way the SPL's big teams will go for a 16 team league. Not enough games.

Purple & Green
12-11-2012, 05:43 PM
We only have around 16 teams with any interest of being top flight clubs, so I don't see the need to have more than 2 divisions all-in. Under that it should be regional because you currently have around 20 clubs in the bottom two divisions with no ambition of being further up the system, and they are being subsidised by cup trips and the sfa/sfl. That should change.

Saorsa
12-11-2012, 05:44 PM
No thanks, go back and try again :bye::agree:

JohnStephens91
12-11-2012, 05:44 PM

Yeah they do and it's a joke if I'm being honest

Pretty Boy
12-11-2012, 05:45 PM
This country needs less teams if anything and the grand plan to restructure introduces another 2.

More back of a fag packet planning from the blazers.

euansdad
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Bring fort William in

Off the bar
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM

not recomending it, just trying to find an example of it elsewhere.

Pete
12-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Its the same BS strategy. Ensure a dominant and strong old firm and the rest will benefit as a consequence.

I'm sick to the back teeth of this.

Off the bar
12-11-2012, 05:48 PM

you mean like hearts v rangers? :greengrin

euansdad
12-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Its the same BS strategy. Ensure a dominant and strong old firm and the rest will benefit as a consequence.

This with knobs on. It is sickening and this is all aimed at accelerating the Huns return. Sickening and unfair. I guess they want to maintain the old firm stranglehold and have us all grateful for their handouts

JeMeSouviens
12-11-2012, 05:49 PM

:agree:

Don't think this has any chance though. The SPL clubs couldn't even agree on something (abolition of the 11-1 vote) they all agreed on! :rolleyes:

matty_f
12-11-2012, 05:52 PM
That Charles Green doesn't half come across as a total bell-end, eh?:rolleyes:

ancienthibby
12-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Bring fort William in

With their camans as well!!:cb

GoldenEagle
12-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Take a deep breath here guys, there needs to be a major overhaul of the game in Scotland.

If this is 'it' then so be it, we've ripped each other to pieces over the last 10 years and it can't continue. Absolutely promotion and relegation must be via sporting achievements but I for one hope we see the bigger picture.

As for Spartans etc then I'm 100% sure that there will be promotion and relegation from bottom tier into the proposed Lowland and Highland regional leagues.

Hopefully get rid of the pathetic junior and EoS split as well :)

Craig_in_Prague
12-11-2012, 05:55 PM
The whole of Scotland should break away from Celtc and Rangers. Let them play each other every week in another "biggest game of the season" match and all the BBC, daily ranger knobs can cream themselves week after week... While the rest of us get back to 3pm Sat games and a fair split of any small pot that their may be (just need to be careful the yams dont swipe it).

green glory
12-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Call me cynical but I think the trigger for restructuring is to get rangers back in the top league ASAP

Aye, but not only that we get to have 2 Rangers!

green glory
12-11-2012, 06:03 PM

And helps to reinforce their dominance. Bloody stupid idea.

Purple & Green
12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
The biggest drawback with the colt sides is nobody will pay top whack to watch them.

ballengeich
12-11-2012, 06:08 PM
It's proposed to start in 2015-16 which is the earliest season Sevco could reach the SPL under the existing system. If they survive, that's probably when they'll arrive anyway so I don't think it would necessarily bring them to the top tier earlier.

The big problem for Hibs would be the number of games in the top division. I can't see any SPL clubs wanting to reduce the total from 38 to 30. That's 4 fewer home gates.

There's no mention of a pyramid either. Some people seem keen on it but I'm not as I don't think there are many clubs outside the current SFL who have a setup to join the national system. The cost of ground improvements and additional travel means that it's more sensible to play in a regional system as they have at present. If clubs do want to move up, I'd make the size of division 3 flexible so that additional teams could join without anyone having to drop out.

I'd like to hear what the proponents of the change think it will do for the Scottish game. SFL clubs may think they'll get people in to watch reserve teams, but I'm not convinced that would last long. In any case, if it wanted the SFL could make that change without affecting the SPL.

LeighLoyal
12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
It's proposed to start in 2015-16 which is the earliest season Sevco could reach the SPL under the existing system. If they survive, that's probably when they'll arrive anyway so I don't think it would necessarily bring them to the top tier earlier.

The big problem for Hibs would be the number of games in the top division. I can't see any SPL clubs wanting to reduce the total from 38 to 30. That's 4 fewer home gates.

There's no mention of a pyramid either. Some people seem keen on it but I'm not as I don't think there are many clubs outside the current SFL who have a setup to join the national system. The cost of ground improvements and additional travel means that it's more sensible to play in a regional system as they have at present. If clubs do want to move up, I'd make the size of division 3 flexible so that additional teams could join without anyone having to drop out.

I'd like to hear what the proponents of the change think it will do for the Scottish game. SFL clubs may think they'll get people in to watch reserve teams, but I'm not convinced that would last long. In any case, if it wanted the SFL could make that change without affecting the SPL.

If it's proposed for 2015/16 then I can live with some form of change. No way on hun and tim colt sides though. I don't want Sevco back at all, never mind colt Sevco.

Alex Trager
12-11-2012, 06:16 PM
I read about half of that article. As far as I seen it had a proposal of a three tiered league system then apparently rangers went bust last season and hearts are close to doing so. Nothing else on the leagues.

Also Charles green sounds like a bitter bitter rangers fan, 'as long as I'm here rangers won't play in the SPL' whys that? Cause your shambolic club got treated the way it itself had ruled to
Be appropriate in the designing of said premier league? Utter flump

Paisley Hibby
12-11-2012, 06:19 PM

They do. They also used to have their reserve teams play in the Kings Cup. In 1980 Real Madrid actually played Real Madrid reserves in the final! The first team won 6-1.
That's now been banned but their reserve teams still play in League 2A (equivalent to 3rd divsion). They are not allowed to be promoted. If something similar was done here then you could see teams from our Tier 3 getting promoted for coming 3rd. What a joke.

worcesterhibby
12-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Absolutely unbelievable that after all this time the only thing they can come up with is to give Rangers and Celtic two teams !! don't they get it ??

Why the hell are we suggesting a 3rd division side should get a colts side ?

If Rangers and Celtic are so good at producing young players..how come they always end up nicking ours ?

Total Pash !:fuming:

Horse
12-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I don't understand the obsession with over-complicating the structure with 12, 14, 16 team leagues with splits and all the crap that goes with that. It's simple - either choose a small league i.e 10 where every team plays each opponent 4 times or a big league i.e 18/20 teams where everyone plays each other twice. The idea of a small league that exists to make the top clubs richer has proved to be flawed in all kinds of ways so why don't they just bite the bullet and increase the size of the top league - Lets face it, most teams in div 1 are not much smaller in terms of crowds than many of the teams in the SPL. The revenue generated would have to be spread more thinly but that would lead to a more level playing field in the long run with clubs having to live within their means.

The idea of a huns/tims reserve team in the league is a total joke, undoubtedly handing them an unfair advantage and will only serve to keep the game as uninteresting and uncompetitive as it has been over the past 25 years. The answer to that one is also simple - start a reserve league again for any senior side that wishes to enter a team. Too many people involved in the running of the game think that what is best for Rangers and Celtic is what's best for scottish football, the irony of that is that in reality what is best for the rest of scottish football is what's best (in the long term) for Celtic and Rangers - the suits and trainor-esque "journalists" who run the game are simply so uneducated and short sighted that they will never realise this!

Saorsa
12-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Take a deep breath here guys, there needs to be a major overhaul of the game in Scotland.

If this is 'it' then so be it, we've ripped each other to pieces over the last 10 years and it can't continue. Absolutely promotion and relegation must be via sporting achievements but I for one hope we see the bigger picture.

As for Spartans etc then I'm 100% sure that there will be promotion and relegation from bottom tier into the proposed Lowland and Highland regional leagues.

Hopefully get rid of the pathetic junior and EoS split as well :)yeah absolutely, but if that is it then the people currently running the game should resign and give somebody else a shot, absolute rubbish.

Diclonius
12-11-2012, 07:07 PM

Rangers would be back in the SPL by 2015, provided they were romoted every year.

Hibs Class
12-11-2012, 07:20 PM
What if Hibs or any other team wanted a colt (or reserve) side. Agree that extra places should go to clubs like Spartans not celtc or sevco. If any club is to be offered the chance for a second team in the senior set-uo then the offer has to be there for all clubs. If there's appetite for it then they should restore the reserve league.

MoscowHibs
12-11-2012, 07:34 PM
In effect the SFL are saying that 2 the weegie teams can hae a reserve side, the others can gtf. I think that the reserve league itself should be resurrected, as it gives those in teams squads that have been injured or cannot get regular game time, much needed match practice. People have been shouting about how unfit Kuqi is but I would bet that if he had been getting reserve games then that wouldnae be the case. The SPL is doing just fine and dandy without the newco currant buns,which is probably pissing aff some o the Glesga FA/FL. All clubs should fight this tooth and nail, it's no aboot the old firm anymore, so give those lesser teams a chance to get into the league and realise their dreams and tell the old firm tae bolt.

Geo_1875
12-11-2012, 07:44 PM
They've finally worked out that doing away with the reserve league was a bad thing so they want to reintroduce it BUT only for the weegies. ****ing typical, we didn't want Rangers at all and they try and force 2 of them on us. I'm really getting close to packing the whole thing in.

euansdad
12-11-2012, 08:03 PM
I read about half of that article. As far as I seen it had a proposal of a three tiered league system then apparently rangers went bust last season and hearts are close to doing so. Nothing else on the leagues.

Also Charles green sounds like a bitter bitter rangers fan, 'as long as I'm here rangers won't play in the SPL' whys that? Cause your shambolic club got treated the way it itself had ruled to
Be appropriate in the designing of said premier league? Utter flump

He's a total idiot. No SPL equals no Europe and little revenue. It's only his own club he is damaging with that warped idea

Malthibby
12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
GTF. The answer to all our problems is Rantic x 2?
This was also the idea when attempting to dump Scotland for England or Europe - keep a couple of wee teams in the SPL
to continue their domination/ maintain the disease while they beggured off to the 'top table.'
Hope & trust this is treated with appropriate disdain.
GG

Baldy Foghorn
12-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Another embarrassing episode for our Blazers....

Smacks of desperation to see Derhun in top league again, but the fact that Rantic reserve sides could claim places is just astounding.....

As others have already said Spartans, and other likesize teams will be foaming at the mouth....Just why the reserve leagues were scrapped is beyond me, but the fact that Rantic reserve teams are even being mentioned sums up everything that s wrong with our game, and the Blazers have really lost the plot......(Again)

down-the-slope
12-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Another embarrassing episode for our Blazers....

Smacks of desperation to see Derhun in top league again, but the fact that Rantic reserve sides could claim places is just astounding.....

As others have already said Spartans, and other likesize teams will be foaming at the mouth....Just why the reserve leagues were scrapped is beyond me, but the fact that Rantic reserve teams are even being mentioned sums up everything that s wrong with our game, and the Blazers have really lost the plot......(Again)

Calm down Dear :wink: its the SFL that is proposing this....no chance of SPL clubs going for it.

As for Mini Hun sides...they can get lost...it was they that killed the reserve league on cost grounds...that is hampering development of all SPL teams...if they think they can get another advantage...they are wrong

Baldy Foghorn
12-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Calm down Dear :wink: its the SFL that is proposing this....no chance of SPL clubs going for it.

As for Mini Hun sides...they can get lost...it was they that killed the reserve league on cost grounds...that is hampering development of all SPL teams...if they think they can get another advantage...they are wrong

Ach had a wee bee in my bonnet and was on a roll James:wink:

Sir David Gray
12-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Why should Celtic and Sevco get their youth sides into the professional leagues ahead of anyone else? Why can't Hibs, Aberdeen, Hearts (or AFC Gorgie as they'll be known by the time this plan would be implemented) get the opportunity to place their youth sides in the lower leagues too?

I agree completely with an earlier poster who said that all this plan would achieve is that it would give the youngsters at Celtic and Sevco a lot more experience than our youngsters would get and make them ready to play at a higher level a lot sooner than other teams' youth players will be.

Totally ridiculous idea.

Eyrie
12-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Totally bizarre.

Three leagues, all of different sizes? Allowing the Ugly Sisters to play reserve teams? No mention of a pyramid structure? Fewer games in the top flight?

I've posted my preferred structure before, but why not keep it simple? Two leagues of 20 teams each (equals 38 games) and a pyramid structure so that the two clubs who have to drop out of the second tier initially can play their way back in.

proud_and_green
12-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Why should Celtic and Sevco get their youth sides into the professional leagues ahead of anyone else? Why can't Hibs, Aberdeen, Hearts (or AFC Gorgie as they'll be known by the time this plan would be implemented) get the opportunity to place their youth sides in the lower leagues too?

I agree completely with an earlier poster who said that all this plan would achieve is that it would give the youngsters at Celtic and Sevco a lot more experience than our youngsters would get and make them ready to play at a higher level a lot sooner than other teams' youth players will be.

Totally ridiculous idea.

Agree with all this, but also would add that it would also give them the ability to earn extra cash. it is likely that they would potentially be able to get crowds of say 2 - 3k for each of their lesser teams potentially more. So in addition to giving their youngsters, recoverers and squad members competetive game time they will earn more.

I just don't understand how anyone can think this is fair in terms of existing senior league teams or those who are pushing promotion.

absolute shower, this must be resisted.

JollyGreenGiant
12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Totally bizarre.

Three leagues, all of different sizes? Allowing the Ugly Sisters to play reserve teams? No mention of a pyramid structure? Fewer games in the top flight?

I've posted my preferred structure before, but why not keep it simple? Two leagues of 20 teams each (equals 38 games) and a pyramid structure so that the two clubs who have to drop out of the second tier initially can play their way back in.

This is exactly how I see it :agree:

Why does every proposal have to have some sort of added benefit to Celtic or Sevco :rolleyes:

Jones28
12-11-2012, 09:34 PM
What? Why? A bottom league of 18? Ridiculous. 14, 14, 16

jdships
12-11-2012, 09:51 PM
:agree:

Don't think this has any chance though. The SPL clubs couldn't even agree on something (abolition of the 11-1 vote) they all agreed on! :rolleyes:

:top marks
Idea does nothing to make me feel positive about the future of Scottiss league football :confused:

jacomo
12-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Why don't SPL clubs have a formal arrangement with lower league clubs which could help develop their players, like the old reserve league did?

It wouldn't be exactly the same but would go some way towards helping. So, for example, Hibs could nominate one team (Spartans for example) where there would be more flexible loan arrangements between the clubs to allow Hibs players outside the first team squad to get some game time, but also be recalled if necessary. They could also continue training with Hibs part of the week and their adopted club for the rest of the time.

Waxy
12-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Haha.
Designed to get the old firm extra matches=more money=more power.

will we ever get shot of these corrupt b------s?

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2012, 08:24 AM
An old firm thats allowed to have a reserve team, but the rest cant. These reserve games will then attract fans away from the other clubs around them, another rule to help the bigots to the detriment of everyone else.

Its a good job this has no chance of being voted for.

Sergio sledge
15-11-2012, 02:04 PM
I notice this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20329684) passed without much comment yesterday.

SFL blueprint

16-team Premier Division
Playing 30 games each
Two relegation play-off spots
Two teams automatically relegated
10-team Championship
Playing 36 games each
Two automatic promotion spots
Two promotion play-off spots
Two teams automatically relegated
One relegation play-off spot
16-team First Division
Playing 30 games each
Two automatically promoted
Three promotion play-off spots
One pyramid relegation play-off spot

To be honest, it doesn't sound half as bad as I thought it might, especially now that the Rantic colt teams idea has not been voted in.

I like the fact that there are 2 automatic promotion/relegation spots in the Premier Division and 2 play-off spots, this will mean greater meaningful matches at the end of the season for the teams at the bottom of the table. The "Championship" would be hugely competitive, with the potential of 6 new teams in this division each season and a potential for 3 of them to be promoted.

The difficulties I can see with this is that the SPL sides would have 4 less home games each season, although perhaps some of that income can be made up from the league cup restructuring that is mentioned in the article. (perhaps having group stages is on the table) There would also be extra income for the league from TV rights for the relegation/promotion play-off's at the end of the season.

No more stupid split's, no more playing the same team 4 times a season in the league, one body running Scottish football and a relegation spot from the bottom division to keep things fresh at the bottom.

There's a lot of positives in this plan IMHO.

edinburghhibee
15-11-2012, 02:08 PM
I notice this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20329684) passed without much comment yesterday.

To be honest, it doesn't sound half as bad as I thought it might, especially now that the Rantic colt teams idea has not been voted in.

I like the fact that there are 2 automatic promotion/relegation spots in the Premier Division and 2 play-off spots, this will mean greater meaningful matches at the end of the season for the teams at the bottom of the table. The "Championship" would be hugely competitive, with the potential of 6 new teams in this division each season and a potential for 3 of them to be promoted.

The difficulties I can see with this is that the SPL sides would have 4 less home games each season, although perhaps some of that income can be made up from the league cup restructuring that is mentioned in the article. (perhaps having group stages is on the table) There would also be extra income for the league from TV rights for the relegation/promotion play-off's at the end of the season.

No more stupid split's, no more playing the same team 4 times a season in the league, one body running Scottish football and a relegation spot from the bottom division to keep things fresh at the bottom.

There's a lot of positives in this plan IMHO.

Agree like the look of this!

Sunny1875
15-11-2012, 03:21 PM

Totally ridiculous idea.

With the playing squad they will be able to afford they may be in the third tier by then anyway

Keith_M
15-11-2012, 06:21 PM
So, what happened to the Colts teams idea? That's obviously a non-starter.

Also, why Premier, Championship and 1st Division? To me, that's just three different ways of saying the same thing. Why not just 1st, 2nd and 3rd Division, which is what it is in reality?

nonshinyfinish
15-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Aye and if there was ever a league set up to benefit 2 big clubs to the detriment of the others it's Spain's.....well apart from Scotland!

Eh, in Spain the majority of the top division clubs have B teams playing in the lower divisions, not just Real and Barca. They may be many things about the Spanish setup that benefit the big two, but that's not one of them. Same thing happens in Germany, and presumably other European leagues as well.

That said, if it were only Sevco and Celtc that were allowed them, that would be scandalous.

ancient hibee
15-11-2012, 09:36 PM
The SPL will never agree to reduce the number of home games while spreading the TV money over more clubs and quite right too.

The SFL blazers are so thick that they don't realise the best way to spread the money around is to make sure that Rangers have to go through each existing league so each club benefits at the gate.

Jonnyboy
15-11-2012, 09:43 PM

:agree: and especially the bit in bold

Moon unit
16-11-2012, 07:27 AM
not recomending it, just trying to find an example of it elsewhere.
No way should the old firm be supported to allow Colt teams in! Especially at the detriment of all other clubs who will scratching around trying to find reserve games ad hoc!

Phil MaGlass
16-11-2012, 09:07 AM
BUT, cant the SFL not just invite the 2 reserve teams into their own set up without SPL say. Two different identities.

Tynie01011973
16-11-2012, 09:23 AM
BUT, cant the SFL not just invite the 2 reserve teams into their own set up without SPL say. Two different identities.

No, there was too much opposition from SFL clubs to the original proposal to include the OF Colt teams that Longmuir dropped this proposal - so the lowest division would now only be
for 16 rather than 18 teams.

SPL teams were not part of this vote.

Tha Cabbage Kid
16-11-2012, 09:53 AM

inviting old firm reserve teams into the fold will only increase celtic and rangers to buy more players and have a much deeper pool of player that the rest of up. so there for celtic and rangers will never loose a league title from any other team in the premier leauge. i for one dont see how this makes it a better league.

**** off!!!!

JimBHibees
16-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Actually get the impression the idea of OF colts was originally proposed knowing it was sure to be knocked back maybe to make clubs more likely to accept the other parts of the deal. The idea of a 16 team league SPL will be refused by Spl teams as clubs will want 2 home derbies however to me it would be a better idea also with play offs introduced also. How about play offs say 3rd to 6th for a European place at the end of the season?

Gatecrasher
16-11-2012, 10:12 AM
i Hate the idea of Colt teams.

If we were to play a 30 game season i think there should be a way to make up the missing 8 games for STH.

JeMeSouviens
16-11-2012, 10:48 AM
There's still a big element of Help-a-Hun in this proposal. It's timed to come in the season after next and you can bet your bottom dollar that the proposal will see the top team in Div2 go straight into the new top 16 thus saving the Hun the potentially tricky task of getting out of the current Div1 with only one team going up.