PDA

View Full Version : Home crowds this season

The Sea-gull
12-11-2012, 09:41 AM
If we take the first home game of the season out of the equation (it was the derby so always going to be a bigger crowd) there has been a slight increase every week:-

Sat 25th Aug - v St Johnstone = 9639
Sat 15th Sep - v Kilmarnock = 9723
Sat 22nd Sep - v Inverness = 9908
Sat 6th Oct - v Dundee = 10163
Sat 3rd Nov - v St Mirren = 10358
Sat 10th Nov - v Dundee United = 10596

Over a period of 6 games spanning 2.5 months is enough to say that there are signs that fol are drifting back. Against the current economic back drop, any crowd of 10k plus is pretty good going.

The fact that there is a bit of excitement about the Dundee game this weekend is a good sign too and would not be surprised if we pack the away end out at Dens on Saturday. Expecting it to be (Dunfermline and Hearts away games aside) our biggest away crowd in years.

10596 for a game on TV and kicking off early on Rememberence Sunday, against a team who did not bring a particularly big away support is decent IMHO.

Need to keep our feet on the ground but for now it is all going better than anyone expected. It has been a little bit like the start to Yogi's first season three years ago but what happened in the second half of that season (and the second half of many others as if Hibs do well it usually tends to be a much better first half of the season than second) should be a reminder for us to stay grounded.

Regardless of what happens on Saturday, but especially if we win, I would expect a 13 or 14k crowd to be at ER when Aberdeen visit on 24th November. They are carrying a much bigger away support this season so could bring around 3 or 4k so add that to the 10k or so Hibs fans who are now going to home games again and 13/14k is the least we should get at that game. There may even be the possibility of an extra 1/2k of Hibs fans there if we get a good result at Dens on Sat.

euansdad
12-11-2012, 09:46 AM
People can bang on about glory hunters but the fact is that when you have a poor run of things like we did, it will drive people away. Just hope these people are gradually returning and can see there is an entertaining side at Easter Road now

YehButNoBut
12-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Just put this on another thread but relevant here as well.

Just noticed improvement in another area as well, in attendance against Dundee Utd over the last time we played at ER.

Against Dundee Utd on 24/3/12 9,161 on a Sat afternoon with a 3pm ko.
Yesterday was 10,596, match on TV and early ko on a Sunday

An increase of 1,435, something else heading in the right direction. :thumbsup:

euansdad
12-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Plenty more will arrive in future generations to when Hertz die:greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
12-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Good stuff. I won't make it back until I come home for Christmas. However I can confirm that attendances at the London Hibs pub have steadily been increasing as well. Long may it continue.

euansdad
12-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Not surprised with your chef pierre

Ozyhibby
12-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Plenty more will arrive in future generations to when Hertz die:greengrin

Agree. :-)

yeezus.
12-11-2012, 11:20 AM
People can bang on about glory hunters but the fact is that when you have a poor run of things like we did, it will drive people away. Just hope these people are gradually returning and can see there is an entertaining side at Easter Road now

:agree: I don't think many Hibs fans can be called glory hunters.

Hibercelona
12-11-2012, 11:27 AM
:agree: I don't think many Hibs fans can be called glory hunters.

Failure and disappointment hunters. :agree:

Why do things have to be going so well this season? :boo hoo:

brythehibby
12-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I keep saying to people that it takes alot longer to get fans back than it takes to lose them. Attendances on the up every game is encouraging and hopefully a fair few half season tickets will be shifted. A winning side makes it much easier to start getting people back through the gates.

Ozyhibby
12-11-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm sure break even for Hibs is based on an average of 11,000 per game, so still a bit to go.
I'm sure we will reach that if we keep up our current good run.

marti1875
12-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Whilst i agree with almost everything in the OP, i would not envisage the Dons bringing 3-4 thousand to ER, no way.

That would be the whole away end full, and if 4k then there wouldn't be enough room for them all! lol.
I've saw clips of the highlights and whilst they're carrying a bit of a larger travelling support than in recent years it certainly has not been looking like a huge travelling support from what you can see on TV?

It's great our home attendances are rising each game though for sure :agree: ok, only by a little amount but fans are gradually trickling back although I don't see a sudden increase of the likes of 2 thousand for the Dons game mind you, maybe a bit more but not that amount.

Hope to be proved wrong though and i may be pleasantly suprised... :greengrin

monktonharp
12-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Iagree that there will not be anything like 3k dons fans, although possibly 1800. they will open the top sections for them so that's good. as for Dundee, possibly 2k Hibs fans, were top o' the league,dont you know:greengrin

The Sea-gull
12-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Whilst i agree with almost everything in the OP, i would not envisage the Dons bringing 3-4 thousand to ER, no way.

That would be the whole away end full, and if 4k then there wouldn't be enough room for them all! lol.
I've saw clips of the highlights and whilst they're carrying a bit of a larger travelling support than in recent years it certainly has not been looking like a huge travelling support from what you can see on TV?

It's great our home attendances are rising each game though for sure :agree: ok, only by a little amount but fans are gradually trickling back although I don't see a sudden increase of the likes of 2 thousand for the Dons game mind you, maybe a bit more but not that amount.

Hope to be proved wrong though and i may be pleasantly suprised... :greengrin

Granted 4k is a bit of an over-estimation but don't be too surprised to see around 3k if they get a point or better v Celtic.

A couple of Dons fans I know have said that Aberdeen have advised both Hibs and Hearts that they expect a large support to travel to the games in Edinburgh coming up in the next few weeks and have requested both tiers at ER and the whole away end at Tincastle.

The Sea-gull
12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Iagree that there will not be anything like 3k dons fans, although possibly 1800. they will open the top sections for them so that's good. as for Dundee, possibly 2k Hibs fans, were top o' the league,dont you know:greengrin

Is 1800 not what they bring on an average visit to ER? They are getting right behind their team away from home these days and have the best side they have had in years so surely they'll bring a wee bit more than usual.

marti1875
12-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Is 1800 not what they bring on an average visit to ER? They are getting right behind their team away from home these days and have the best side they have had in years so surely they'll bring a wee bit more than usual.

Recent times have not had near the full bottom tier full to capacity, in fact compared to how their travelling support used to be it's been quite poor in comparison really.

So, you have 2 mates who say Aberdeen have informed Hibs and that other team over the city to expect mega supports from them? How do they find this out?
Remember they do have a history of completely over exaggerating their away support. I recall one time them claiming, and i can't remember if it was for us at ER or them at swiney, that they had something like 4,500!!....That would be fine but the stand only holds about 3,600! Yet they were adamant that was the amount that had travelled!! :greengrin

As i say, i'm happy if i'm wrong as it means more money for us, but looking at the crowds on TV when the highlights are on i've not saw anything resembling a huge travelling support form them...:confused:

The Sea-gull
12-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Recent times have not had near the full bottom tier full to capacity, in fact compared to how their travelling support used to be it's been quite poor in comparison really.

So, you have 2 mates who say Aberdeen have informed Hibs and that other team over the city to expect mega supports from them? [B][B]How do they find this out?

Remember they do have a history of completely over exaggerating their away support. I recall one time them claiming, and i can't remember if it was for us at ER or them at swiney, that they had something like 4,500!!....That would be fine but the stand only holds about 3,600! Yet they were adamant that was the amount that had travelled!! :greengrin

As i say, i'm happy if i'm wrong as it means more money for us, but looking at the crowds on TV when the highlights are on i've not saw anything resembling a huge travelling support form them...:confused:

No idea, how they find out. Probably someone from the club tells a mate who tells a mate who tells a mate. Or they just make it up! As you say, Dons fans have a history of exaggerating their away following. In fact recent history - remember how they out numbered us 4 to 1 at the scottish cup semi last season? :greengrin

hibees59
12-11-2012, 02:00 PM
10596 for a game on TV and kicking off early on Rememberence Sunday, against a team who did not bring a particularly big away support is decent IMHO.

You forgot to mention the rugby international was on and that would have taken a few fans away (I was one of them).

Stevie Reid
12-11-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm sure break even for Hibs is based on an average of 11,000 per game, so still a bit to go.
I'm sure we will reach that if we keep up our current good run.

That was certainly the figure quoted when the Stand Up and Be Counted campaign was in force in 2003, but that was based on there being no TV deal and operating solely on gate receipts.

yeezus.
12-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Failure and disappointment hunters. :agree:

Why do things have to be going so well this season? :boo hoo:

I met an Aberdeen born Manchester United fan when I was up there (there are loads) and he annoyed me so when I called him a glory hunter he was like "So are you - your from Stranraer and support Hibernian" I was like "What glory am I hunting?"

He had no answer to that.

TrinityHibs
12-11-2012, 02:42 PM

You forgot to mention the rugby international was on and that would have taken a few fans away (I was one of them).

Another 2 here. First home game missed this season.

steviehibsleith
12-11-2012, 02:50 PM

My god man you are a rugger bufty :na na:
I recorded it and watched it after the big game

Jpdhfc
12-11-2012, 03:04 PM

Just watched highlites hibs had more as st mirren start of season

marti1875
12-11-2012, 03:05 PM
No idea, how they find out. Probably someone from the club tells a mate who tells a mate who tells a mate. Or they just make it up! As you say, Dons fans have a history of exaggerating their away following. In fact recent history - remember how they out numbered us 4 to 1 at the scottish cup semi last season? :greengrin

Ahh, haha....Yeah, how could i forget last season's ridiculous claims by many of them. One of my best mates is a staunch Dons fan and i just gave up even trying to make him see sense about the attendance.

I think it was something totally stupid, like you mentioned how they completely outnumbered us, outsang us, how we had one of the worst supports ever for a semi-final blah blah blah...

That's why i don't listen to any dons fans nowadays about support figures as most of it is totally over inflated to support their already over inflated egos which are still living in the past and never moved on. Maybe what your mate said is true so fair enough buy i have my doubts....:greengrin

PatHead
12-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Hearts mentioned in their ticket sale that Aberdeen had requested the full stand and Hearts supporters would need to buy theirs soon or they would release them to Aberdeen. If they want them against a relegation side they will want a lot more to try and slow our charge to the league and cup double.

euansdad
12-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Aberdeen will bring a fair few. Think this one might be the highest attendance this season

euansdad
12-11-2012, 03:27 PM
So far I mean!