PDA

View Full Version : Are we getting the credit we deserve?

SMAXXA
11-11-2012, 09:33 PM
As it says on the tin.

There has been liitle said about our current position (not that im too unhappy with this) but are we arguably one of the biggest success stories in recent years? I dont mean this in terms of achievement cause we have yet to achive anything material however we are a team that was second bottom last year and have struggled in the lower reaches of the SPL the last few seasons. The very fact we have transformed from that to us now I dont feel is getting the credit we deserve and most importantly Pat and the players deserve. We all know how short lived success in football can be and we need to cherish the moments when we are doing well. Enough doom and glood has circled easter road for years and I really get the feeling the tide has turned not just from a playing viewpint but the fans aswellm there is a unity, a purpose and we are all driven to be better and this I feel deserves the attention I belive we havent really had?

Please dont take this as we have achieved anything as I know we have not in a footballing sence as it can quickly change and we can find ourtselves back in the rubbish times but we have united the club with alot of our fans and that is a massive achievement IMO arguabally more so than a material achievement given our recent years of torture.

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Im not bothered about getting credit from others, we are going about our business quietly and effectively, and I hope we can remain with feet on the ground, taking each game as it comes....

allezsauzee
11-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Im not bothered about getting credit from others, we are going about our business quietly and effectively, and I hope we can remain with feet on the ground, taking each game as it comes....

Agreed! Don't want us being built up and having undue pressure put on the team.

S.sct
11-11-2012, 09:39 PM
It's still growing and gaining momentum. No need for recognition yet, if we are still up there well into January .........

Viva_Palmeiras
11-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Happy to be discounted and fly under the radar - it suits the psychology of the Hibs team. One thing we need to work on amongst others is mental toughness to stay in touch with the top

Kato
11-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Couldn't care less.

The weegie media have their own agenda and will always stick to it. The minute they start paying us any attention you can guarantee whatever good we have going for us will picked apart, players heads turned by dodgy agents/journalists, snide asides toward Petrie, anything untoward will be headline news - any trick in the book these *******s.

BBC Scotland, The Daily Record, The Scottish Sun - worst aspect of Scottish football now that Rangers are dead IMHO.

SMAXXA
11-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Totally agree and im more than happy just plodding along but my question still stand rightly or wrongly. Whats more of an achivement Hearts chucking cash about left right and centre to try propel themselves into challengers (all be it when both OF teams were in the league) and all the hulabola that came with it or a true example of a football club/team making a real success of things in a very difficult time for scottish football?

Dont get me wrong im definatley not getting carried away but I dont think people can underestimate how far we have come this season.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Totally agree and im more than happy just plodding along but my question still stand rightly or wrongly. Whats more of an achivement Hearts chucking cash about left right and centre to try propel themselves into challengers (all be it when both OF teams were in the league) and all the hulabola that came with it or a true example of a football club/team making a real success of things in a very difficult time for scottish football?

Dont get me wrong im definatley not getting carried away but I dont think people can underestimate how far we have come this season.

In what way are we successful?

Kato
11-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Totally agree and im more than happy just plodding along but my question still stand rightly or wrongly. Whats more of an achivement Hearts chucking cash about left right and centre to try propel themselves into challengers (all be it when both OF teams were in the league) and all the hulabola that came with it

Chucking cash around is of more interest to journalists than slow growth.

or a true example of a football club/team making a real success of things in a very difficult time for scottish football?

We'll see what happens if real success comes our way.

weedgiehibbie
11-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Its the little bits & pieces that do start to annoy me like that thing on the BBC match report today about us being "temporarily" top of the league before Celtc drew agsint St johnstone & the numerous guests on sportscene that have just played against us but overall I'm quite happy that we get almost ignrored, if we can keep winning games - it still is early doors and Fenlon has done a fantastic job in taking us from whee we were to where we are.

Pat should gets heaps of credit but lets just keep on grounding out resutls and lets force the meadia into giving us credit - through grinding teeth no doubt - by a high league finish or dare i say it a cup win :flag:

SMAXXA
11-11-2012, 09:57 PM
In what way are we successful?

Attendancy's?
Feelgood factor?

Is that 2 areas of success for you?

Read my post fully and see I acknowledge the lack of material success, which it doesnt just boil down to.

LeighLoyal
11-11-2012, 10:08 PM
We have to tread carefully expecting pats on the back, a couple of bad results and we'll be back amongst the chasing pack. On the face of it though it looks a great Hibs team. Potentially as good as the McLeish and Mowbray team.

PatHead
11-11-2012, 10:12 PM
I agree with you that Hibs never get the credit they are due from the media. FFS they asked Craig Brown if Aberdeen could mount a title challenge yesterday. They do seem to have clubs they like to see do well- Motherwell and Dundee Utd but who cares.

Last time we were built up was under Yogi around Christmas when they were saying we could split the Old Firm- look how that ended.

Happy with us not being in the papers/tv. It usually ends backfiring.

Sir David Gray
11-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Not bothered in the slightest if we get praise or not.

In fact, I'll be quite happy if we are continually overlooked and ignored. We'll just keep going about our business and picking up the wins and the three points.

euansdad
11-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Yeah I'm happy to go under the radar. It's been an amazing job by fenlon but work still needs to be done. With attention comes more pressure and I'm happy for us to continue to not draw all the headlines

Bishop Hibee
11-11-2012, 10:15 PM
There will be more coverage of Newco's glorious win over Peterhead in the morning papers tomorrow than Hibs going 2 points clear at the top of the league :rolleyes:

truehibernian
11-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Happy to be discounted and fly under the radar - it suits the psychology of the Hibs team. One thing we need to work on amongst others is mental toughness to stay in touch with the top

Good post - more importantly it's the first time in a few seasons that the squad looks both united and without factions. The mental toughness is manifesting itself as each game passes. Smaller squad, better experienced players and less rotation (only when enforced through injury) has been crucial to where we find ourselves.

Everyone at the club should be proud so far, but the old adage should always be keeping your focus on the next game and next game only.

mca
11-11-2012, 10:22 PM
We - Need - to Sign.. pat fenlon.... = Long Term... ... he has - created Miracles.. :not worth

euansdad
11-11-2012, 10:27 PM
There will be more coverage of Newco's glorious win over Peterhead in the morning papers tomorrow than Hibs going 2 points clear at the top of the league :rolleyes:

That's a given. They will probably tell us it was the result of the week in Scottish football

The_Todd
11-11-2012, 10:29 PM
We - Need - to Sign.. pat fenlon.... = Long Term... ... he has - created Miracles.. :not worth

Is your keyboard broken? :wink:

SMAXXA
11-11-2012, 10:48 PM
The usual token gesture on sportseen

The_Todd
11-11-2012, 10:52 PM

I'm watching Sportscene for the first time in ages tonight, and now I remember why I stopped. Awful show with the bare minimum of highlights and zero analysis. Absolute garbage, wished I didn't bother and put MOTD2 on BBC England on instead.

stoneyburn hibs
11-11-2012, 10:59 PM

A token gesture is all any team gets on Sportscene , as its only on for 45 minutes.

Spike Mandela
11-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Pat Fenlon isn't a fully paid member of the Scottish football mafia and long may it continue. Leave all that ***** tae Craigie Broon, Shiels, McCoist and the rest

ScottB
11-11-2012, 11:31 PM
To be fair, it wasn't too long ago that we were flying high under Hughes and the wheels came off big time once the media started taking an interest, Motherwells own sudden nose dive in form also is a case in point.

If we can keep this going long term, I'm sure we will get credit, but for now we are just this seasons 5 minute wonders as far as the media is concerned.

madabouthibs
11-11-2012, 11:41 PM
I'd prefer our own lapsed supporters started giving the team some credit, the meedja can ram it! Easter Roads good fun just now!

PatHead
11-11-2012, 11:45 PM
It will all change when we are due to play Celtic, press will be all over us like a rash. Until then we don't matter because Rangers are top of the league that matters in Scotland.

Gatecrasher
12-11-2012, 07:04 AM
While we are doing great we haven't achieved anything yet, there's still a long way to go

Hibercelona
12-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Why would anybody even care?

We (the Hibs fans) know how good Hibs are. Who cares what some pie or yam thinks.

Phil D. Rolls
12-11-2012, 03:52 PM
When will we ever learn - we see the Big Team go belly up because of borrowing, and some of us are asking for credit!!!!! Rod, take that SFA job now, these people will never learn. :na na:

12-11-2012, 03:56 PM

Absolutly :agree: If there is over hype in the media etc. then it might lead to our players getting complacent or carried away. We just need to keep focused, keep doing what we are doing and keep our feet firmly on the ground. Its still early days yet.

GGTTH

jacomo
12-11-2012, 04:02 PM
The Yams are bigger news right now - impending doom will always get more coverage than a non-OF club having a spell of good form.

Hibs traditionally have a post New Year slump, unless we've been poor during the first half of the season too and there isn't much further to fall. This is particularly worrying this year given that 3 key members of the team have their loan agreements run out in January.

Don't get me wrong, I think PF has done a very fine job so far this term but there's still more than half the season to be played and so far all we know is that we definitely won't win the League Cup. I am sure the plaudits will come our way if we achieve something...

King Paddy
12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Sorry to put a spanner in the works but i have followed Hibs for over 50 years and have been let down to many times to mention. We IMO will fade away after the Jan transfer window when we lose mr goals Leigh Griffiths and probably Claros. I am not a jamboo just a realist so i don't believe in shouting from the rooftops because my team are top of the leauge. Looking at the results we have done really well to accumulate the points we have, but we have never looked really looked in control of any of the matches we have played. In all of the games bar Motherwell and that could have been 4-4 we are allways hanging on to a one goal lead and only desparate defending has got where we sit at present.

Sas_The_Hibby
12-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Sorry to put a spanner in the works but i have followed Hibs for over 50 years and have been let down to many times to mention. We IMO will fade away after the Jan transfer window when we lose mr goals Leigh Griffiths and probably Claros. I am not a jamboo just a realist so i don't believe in shouting from the rooftops because my team are top of the leauge. Looking at the results we have done really well to accumulate the points we have, but we have never looked really looked in control of any of the matches we have played. In all of the games bar Motherwell and that could have been 4-4 we are allways hanging on to a one goal lead and only desparate defending has got where we sit at present.

Agree with a lot of this: in particular I think we've had the 'rub of the green' in a few games. Nevertheless I'm more than happy with where we are at the present and the immense turnaround since last season.

I don't think any of us BELIEVE :wink: we'll ultimately challenge for the league this season but the good thing is we're watching a Hibs team playing entertaining football and getting dug in when necessary, so, to a certain extent, as the saying goes, we've made our own luck.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
12-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Let's just enjoy it while we can. :thumbsup:

euansdad
12-11-2012, 09:02 PM
It's progress and after last year that's all we could have hoped for

YehButNoBut
12-11-2012, 09:21 PM
If we finish in the top 6 this season it will be a huge improvement on the last few seasons and better then most of us had probably thought we would achieve.

Anything better i.e. European qualification will be a huge bonus, but definately achievable based on performances in recent weeks.

CRAZYHIBBY
12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
id rather the media just left us alone......every time we hear "is this hibs year" or "can hibs sustain a challenge" things go pear shaped.......we are doing well right now and long may it continue

Viva_Palmeiras
12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Attendancy's?
Feelgood factor?

Is that 2 areas of success for you?

Read my post fully and see I acknowledge the lack of material success, which it doesnt just boil down to.

i guess my point is being successful means different things to different peeps. That's the reason I asked. We've been reportedly successful off the park but its not been balanced with performances on the park.

Have attendances been considerably up? Probably not but Dundee United have been higher placed than us and won silverware but they pprobably average 4-5k so not alsways a good measure. Then there's the economic impact on attendance so it's difficult to get a clear picture or measure.

Feelgood factor is subjective.

My view is on those aspects pundits and the media are not likely to view us as being a success.

For many battle weary Hibees I'd imagine success is something that is reflected on once something tangible has been achieved (league position, qualification for Europe, top 6, cups God willing ;).

Jim Herriot
12-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Don't read today's guardian. Hibs are mentioned for being top of the league. The rest of the article is about the second placed club and some third division outfit.

davcar
13-11-2012, 06:58 AM
As long as the support gives the team the credit it deserves then that's fine by me. The best judge of this would be increased attendances and the continual rise of noise from the stands!

GGTTH :flag:

Phil MaGlass
13-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Actually, this should be shouted from the rooftops that were TOP of the league,

Firstly because of how bad we were last year and just how far we have come in such a short space of time, whether it goes tis up in January is another thing altogether.

Secondly we need as many fans back through the gates, the more good coverage we get the more likely more supporters will turn up to watch us.

Were by far not the finished article but we should be using this as a springboard for the future, were all in agreement it might go pearshaped so enjoy it while we can, I honestly believe we are now in a better position than the rest of the League (barring sellik) for the foreseeable future, managable debt, a now noisy fanbase of around 10,000, a great bloody stadium, a state of the art training centre, a team willing to fight on the pitch, a cuddly toy, and a manager who knows what he is doing.We may well lose griffiths and Claros but I still believe were too good for the rest, with or without them.
This all in all should definitely be shouted from the rooftops.

SMAXXA
13-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Actually, this should be shouted from the rooftops that were TOP of the league,

Firstly because of how bad we were last year and just how far we have come in such a short space of time, whether it goes tis up in January is another thing altogether.

Secondly we need as many fans back through the gates, the more good coverage we get the more likely more supporters will turn up to watch us.

Were by far not the finished article but we should be using this as a springboard for the future, were all in agreement it might go pearshaped so enjoy it while we can, I honestly believe we are now in a better position than the rest of the League (barring sellik) for the foreseeable future, managable debt, a now noisy fanbase of around 10,000, a great bloody stadium, a state of the art training centre, a team willing to fight on the pitch, a cuddly toy, and a manager who knows what he is doing.We may well lose griffiths and Claros but I still believe were too good for the rest, with or without them.
This all in all should definitely be shouted from the rooftops.

Exactly the point I was trying to make with the thread.