PDA

View Full Version : People leaving match with 5mins. to go

thebakerboy
11-11-2012, 08:46 PM
This is a strange thing about football fans , today at 2 1 to Hibs with 5 mins. to go and Utd on the front foot and Hibs hanging on rather , some fans got up and went home. SORRY BUT HOW THE CAN YOU GO HOME WITH THE GAME IN THE BALANCE. This totally defeats me and the ultimate proof that anything can happen at any time in a match was when Arsenal were 4 down last week and a lot of there fans went home but they came back to win 7 5. Unless my team are 5 down with 5 mins to go I am not going to leave. It has to be impossible for Hibs to win before I leave. I am a HIBEE ever the optimist.

Seveno
11-11-2012, 08:49 PM
It was their loss. I loved cheering and clapping my team off the park at the end.

Saorsa
11-11-2012, 08:53 PM
It was their loss. I loved cheering and clapping my team off the park at the end.:flag::pfgwa:flag:

thebakerboy
And they missed all the fun with Skacel just before and after the whistle. MUGS

blackpoolhibs
I get up when the clock hits 90 mins and move down the front, I'm not going home, I just want a quick getaway. I'd imagine most are doing that?

H1bs6H3arts2 FC
11-11-2012, 08:54 PM
This is a strange thing about football fans , today at 2 1 to Hibs with 5 mins. to go and Utd on the front foot and Hibs hanging on rather , some fans got up and went home. SORRY BUT HOW THE CAN YOU GO HOME WITH THE GAME IN THE BALANCE. This totally defeats me and the ultimate proof that anything can happen at any time in a match was when Arsenal were 4 down last week and a lot of there fans went home but they came back to win 7 5. Unless my team are 5 down with 5 mins to go I am not going to leave. It has to be impossible for Hibs to win before I leave. I am a HIBEE ever the optimist.

I was in the top part of the East but left my seat with 5 mins to go BUT sneaked in beside my bro & his mates who sit down the front so managed to see the players come off & that wee welt Satchel acting the erse :greengrin It takes absolutely ages to get out the East Stand so i can understand people in the higher parts doing the same - if the game is live on sky/espn it is usually on the screens in the concourse also so no-one misses a thing :agree:

Scouse Hibee
11-11-2012, 08:55 PM

Been done to death on here, I agree with you but there are loads of reasons why people want to leave early, their loss if they miss anything.

Gatecrasher
11-11-2012, 08:56 PM
you can tell we're doing well when threads like this appear :greengrin

Duffys13
11-11-2012, 09:06 PM
I get up when the clock hits 90 mins and move down the front, I'm not going home, I just want a quick getaway. I'd imagine most are doing that?

Yeah I sit high in the east and it takes ages getting out. I leave my seat 5 mins early and then watch it down at the bottom.Stewards don't seem bothered with it.

Hermit Crab
11-11-2012, 09:13 PM

It's got nowt to do you if people leave early. Their money their choice, simple as that. Topic done to death before. Close thread please admins.

Jonnyboy
11-11-2012, 09:21 PM

:agree:

Beefster
12-11-2012, 07:00 AM
I always find it bizarre when folk start getting upset by other folks behaviour when that behaviour has absolutely nothing to do with them and impacts on them in no discernible way. It's a bit like moaning aout your neighbour having something you don't like for his dinner.

euansdad
12-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Ain't going to rip people apart but it is strange. If the match is decided with a 3 goal lead with five mins to go then fair enough. But, when a game is close, can't understand it

HFC 0-7
12-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Here we go again, let's pick fault at our own fans, the ones that are paying to watch their team even after a few seasons of total guff. Perhaps we should revel in the positives? We are top of the league after all, 10 points ahead of the blood stained turds that are in a financial mess, only 3 wins away of beating last years total points haul? If you have to pick fault with our fans, pick fault with the ones that don't even turn up.

Scouse Hibee
12-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Here we go again, let's pick fault at our own fans, the ones that are paying to watch their team even after a few seasons of total guff. Perhaps we should revel in the positives? We are top of the league after all, 10 points ahead of the blood stained turds that are in a financial mess, only 3 wins away of beating last years total points haul? If you have to pick fault with our fans, pick fault with the ones that don't even turn up.

Your over the top reaction to the OP who was not having a go but making an observation and asking a question is exactly the type of post you are yourself complaining about!

cabbageandribs1875
12-11-2012, 09:38 AM
It's got nowt to do you if people leave early. Their money their choice, simple as that. Topic done to death before. Close thread please admins.

concur with all of this

Fife-Hibee
12-11-2012, 09:39 AM
And they missed all the fun with Skacel just before and after the whistle. MUGS

Rather than calling people mugs for leaving a couple of minutes early. At least they went to the game !! I stayed to the end by the way :-)

Hibbyradge
12-11-2012, 09:41 AM
It's a bit like moaning about your neighbour having something you don't like for his dinner.

:agree:

Makes my blood boil, that does.

jdships
12-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Been done to death on here, I agree with you but there are loads of reasons why people want to leave early, their loss if they miss anything.

:agree:totally
Please not another thread as we certainly don't need to go down that road again !!.
It's called ' personal choice ' how does the OP know what these people's circumstances are/were ?

:rolleyes:

euansdad
12-11-2012, 10:02 AM
It's not a hibs thing and I think the guy was on about supporters in general. There are early leavers at every groubd

Iain G
12-11-2012, 10:59 AM
It's not a hibs thing and I think the guy was on about supporters in general. There are early leavers at every groubd

Yeah it's not just a Hibs or Scottish football thing...it is a lil odd if you think about it, you pay a lot of money to go watch the match but leave early so as not to get stuck in the traffic which is being caused by there being a match on? You don't get up 5 mins before the end of a movie to get home easier do you, so why a football game? :confused:

It's curious really and an interesting thought on human nature, I dunno, perhaps they get a 5.55% discount on ticket prices? :greengrin

Thecat23
12-11-2012, 11:09 AM
I stay to the end 99% of the time but why have a go at folk who leave when we don't know anything about them. They may need to get back for Kids or catch a train or bus. I'm just delighted these guys turn up and pay their money in the first place. No harm in leaving if they want/need too.

Keith_M
12-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Some of the reactions to the OP are a bit over the top. He was talking about how he couldn't really understand why fans in general do this (which they do, you see it everywhere).

It really is people's choice as to what they do. No one can tell them to do different.

However, saying that is has no affect is not entirely true. I've been irked a few times when I'm watching the last 5-10 minutes of a game that is still in the balance and having my view blocked by a constant stream of people leaving early (or moving down the front, if you like :wink: ). Also, it must be a bit demoralising to the team to see half the support gone befor the game's even finished.

Your choice but please don't say it doesn't affect anyone else.

yeezus.
12-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I took my mate from Rochdale to his first Hibernian game last season - it was a massive game against Dunfermline.

We were staying in Aberdeen and had to leave Easter Road early. In all my life time, watching Stranraer and Hibs, I had never left a game early. The one time I did - Paul Hanlon scored a goal that wasn't really a goal.

Never leaving early again.

euansdad
12-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Guess there are valid reasons which is why I didn't want to have a go. Just seems odd though at times when games are in the balance

theonlywayisup
12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Guess there are valid reasons which is why I didn't want to have a go. Just seems odd though at times when games are in the balance

The only time I leave early (which may be once a season) is when I need to travel north after the game and need a quick getaway. The difference in leaving 5 mins early and waiting to the final whistle before I leave from the top of my stand and then to work your way through the 1000s of fans all trying to get home via congested roads, can be around 30 minutes. When travelling far from ER, that thirty minutes can make quite a difference.

Also, I am quite fit :wink:, but for those less fit, I imagine they want to be down the steps before everyone else tries to barge their way down them.

JohnStephens91
12-11-2012, 12:58 PM
'F*** sake Stevenson, you're no good enough', 'f***ing hell Maybury, you're pi**', 'Hanlon you're murder, no good enough', 'f*** sake Doyle, touch like an elephant', 'That's p**h Taiwo, no good enough', 'Williams you're absolutely honking, f***ing rank', 'Wotherspoon that's ******ing guff, never a player' and finally 'AAHHHHH ****** OFF SPROULE YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY ******ING MINCE, WORST PLAYER I HAVE EVER ******ING SEEN, ****** OFF' and then he stormed out the stadium after Ivan should have played the ball to Kuqi. I think I know why he left early, he never has a positive thing to say about any player and has never applauded a goal from Doyle or Wotherspoon and seems to think every Hibs player is rank, the guy is a total trumpet and if he doesn't enjoy the football I don't see why he pays for a season ticket and then leaves early every week in a rage as what he is seeing 'isn't good enough'

Emerald
12-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Some of the reactions to the OP are a bit over the top. He was talking about how he couldn't really understand why fans in general do this (which they do, you see it everywhere).

It really is people's choice as to what they do. No one can tell them to do different.

However, saying that is has no affect is not entirely true. I've been irked a few times when I'm watching the last 5-10 minutes of a game that is still in the balance and having my view blocked by a constant stream of people leaving early (or moving down the front, if you like :wink: ). Also, it must be a bit demoralising to the team to see half the support gone befor the game's even finished.

Your choice but please don't say it doesn't affect anyone else.

I get irked by people heading out before half time with two minutes to go to beat the rush and the very same people manage to come back a minute or two into the second half. Just because they wanted to stand blethering in the concourse. You pay your money, you come and go as you please.

Pretty Boy
12-11-2012, 01:07 PM
It's personal choice at the end of the day.

I've only left 3 games early that I can remember. A certain semi final and a certain final and a 3-0 defeat in Aberdeen when it was about -5.

I just don't want to risk missing late excitement. If others have their own reasons or would just rather nip off a couple of minutes early and potentially miss a late goal or whatever then that's up to them.

Spike Mandela
12-11-2012, 01:08 PM
As long as people turn up and pay to get in that's all that matters and they can leave when they like, it's their choice. We should be more concerned about getting more through the gates rather than those leaving 5mins early.

Scouse Hibee
12-11-2012, 01:53 PM
What about those that arrive late from the boozer..........................what about those same folk needin a pish twice cos they've had so much bevvy..........................what about the permanent seat swappers who alternate every ****** game and only decide who they're sitting with once the game has kicked off................what about the kids who need the toilet, then food, then the toilet, then more food.............................what about the people who arrive late and can't ****** read directions to the right row or seat...................What about them........... I don't really care :greengrin

silverhibee
12-11-2012, 01:58 PM
A group next to me left at HT to go to the rugby, what's that all about. Strange.

marinello59
12-11-2012, 02:25 PM
A group next to me left at HT to go to the rugby, what's that all about. Strange.

They simply enjoy seeing their team get beat and Easter Road wasn't doing it for them?:dunno:

jgl07
12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
It is not really a question of slagging anyone for skipping off early. They may have a train to catch or some other pressing reason. It is more to do with a psychological study of people who pay twenty to twenty six pounds to attend a match and then leave before the end, in many cases not knowing the result. It just strikes me as bizarre behaviour

Do boxing fans leave a fight in the middle of the final round without waiting for the scores to be tallied? Do tennis fans leave Wimbledon half way through the final set of the championship with the match in balance? How many would leave a baseball match at the bottom of the ninth innings with the bases loaded?

However it happens everywhere in football.

Manchester United fans always used to be the worst for this. I can recall the start of the exodus from Old Trafford being around 20 minutes into the second half. It was always 'to beat the traffic'. It is obviously understandable if one team are leading 3-0 but not with a finely balanced match as last Sunday.

When Manchester City were 2-0 down to Gillingham in the 1999 playoffs going towards 90 minutes many left only for City to score twice to force extra time. Then loads tried to get back in. City won on penalties. Some even left the last match of last season at the Etihad with QPR still 2-1 before Dzeko and Aguero scored in injury time.

And don't think that it will have no consequences. The biggest disaster in Scottish Football occurred at Ibrox in 2971 when many had left early and heard that Rangers had equalized and tried to get back in as others were pouring out. Stairway 13 collapsed and 66 died and 200 were badly injured as a result.

Phil D. Rolls
12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
I now defend the right of people to leave the match early. Soon 400,000 people will no longer have that privilidge - lest we forget.

Apocalypso
12-11-2012, 02:47 PM
'F*** sake Stevenson, you're no good enough', 'f***ing hell Maybury, you're pi**', 'Hanlon you're murder, no good enough', 'f*** sake Doyle, touch like an elephant', 'That's p**h Taiwo, no good enough', 'Williams you're absolutely honking, f***ing rank', 'Wotherspoon that's ******ing guff, never a player' and finally 'AAHHHHH ****** OFF SPROULE YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY ******ING MINCE, WORST PLAYER I HAVE EVER ******ING SEEN, ****** OFF' and then he stormed out the stadium after Ivan should have played the ball to Kuqi. I think I know why he left early, he never has a positive thing to say about any player and has never applauded a goal from Doyle or Wotherspoon and seems to think every Hibs player is rank, the guy is a total trumpet and if he doesn't enjoy the football I don't see why he pays for a season ticket and then leaves early every week in a rage as what he is seeing 'isn't good enough'

Good crack there aye?

hibsmad
12-11-2012, 03:50 PM

It's got nothing to do with anyone else if people leave early, it's their choice.

Close the thread admins, people shouldn't be discussing this.

Double standards?

marinello59
12-11-2012, 03:55 PM
It's got nothing to do with anyone else if people leave early, it's their choice.

Double standards?

Double standards?

Phil D. Rolls
12-11-2012, 03:58 PM

Double standards?

:faf:

hibsmad
12-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Double standards?

In relation to the post I quoted.

They said it has nothing to do with anyone else if people leave early as it is that persons choice. They then suggested that the admins should close this thread down and not allow people to discuss it.

Surely it is up to the people posting on this thread if they wish to discuss it? Hence the double standards comment.

hibsmad
12-11-2012, 04:03 PM
:faf:

I was replying to another post. I don't think the thread should be deleted.

Keith_M
12-11-2012, 05:10 PM

East Stand, Section 39?

Hainan Hibs
12-11-2012, 05:20 PM
If this is all we have to moan about we're in a good place :greengrin:

hibsbollah
12-11-2012, 05:31 PM
It's all about personal choice. Before I used to take my kids along I would make it a point to stay to the end always, even at the 4-0 semi. Now it's a bit different, if she's cold or more bored than usual sometimes we sneak off. Last season we were 1-3 down to Dundee Utd, walked out after 65 mins or so, and between st Clair st and the end of Albion Road we had scored twice to equalise:rolleyes:

Its a chance you take.

Flynn
12-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Leaving a game when its a draw with 5-10mins to go is like leaving the cinema before the climax of the movie. I don't get it, I prefer to clap the players off the pitch, win, lose or draw. Only time I've left early was when Sproule got sent off in that semi final when there was no way back.

Each to their own, though. Maybe 15-20mins travel time saved by leaving early is worth sacrificing seeing your team win or hold on to a victory in the dying minutes.