PDA

View Full Version : Question How much would Hibs need to spend to challenge for the League

itchy07
09-11-2012, 12:07 PM
First off, I'm not suggesting we spend big, just interested in how much it would take to mount a serious title challenge this year or next. HMFC require £2m just to survive. What kind of impact would £2m have on a team like Hibs right now. Someone suggested to me it would take £12m but then if you invested that amount in any SPL team, outwith Ceptic or Hertz, you'd be up there, right?

Don't get your hopes up folks, I'm skint.

Keith_M
09-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Much more than we've got, which is why I'm perfectly happy that we WON'T be doing it.

HoMFC, such a great example to us all :greengrin

LeighLoyal
09-11-2012, 12:15 PM
How long is a piece of string? Just keeping the squad together will delight me.

joe breezy
09-11-2012, 12:18 PM
It's interesting, I personally think it could be done without throwing money at it, although it would be impossible to sustain as Celtic would have greater resources ultimately.

But this season, if Hibs held on to Griffiths and strengthened with another £5millions worth we could win the league.

We won't spend £5 million though - so will need to be content with Europa League, which would be fine, but we must aim to stay in Europe so we actually make money out of it

Europa League group stages every season should be our aim

Makaveli
09-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Depends what you mean by a serious challenge, I suppose. We're not going to win the league but we can sure as hell challenge them this season if challenge means draw with them at Parkhead, hope to beat them at ER, be joint top with them in November...

hibeemikey21
09-11-2012, 12:20 PM
First off, I'm not suggesting we spend big, just interested in how much it would take to mount a serious title challenge this year or next. HMFC require £2m just to survive. What kind of impact would £2m have on a team like Hibs right now. Someone suggested to me it would take £12m but then if you invested that amount in any SPL team, outwith Ceptic or Hertz, you'd be up there, right?

Man for man, celtic's whole squad is better than ours - there is no getting away from that. How much would hooper and wanyama set you back on their own? £15-20m? That's just for 2 of them. Factor in wages etc. There is you answer. Lots of money.

Part/Time Supporter
09-11-2012, 12:24 PM
£20M every year. Even that wouldn't guarantee anything because Celtic would still have a significant advantage.

Sweet Left Peg
09-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Softly-softly catchy monkey..... Our time will come.

Franck Stanton
09-11-2012, 01:28 PM
How long is a piece of string? Just keeping the squad together will delight me.

Double the length from the centre to the end of course.

hibIBZ
09-11-2012, 01:33 PM
i agree that we need to focus on being the best we can and quailfy for the europa league groups should be our aim. if and thats a big if we can do that over a few years we might be in a position to push on

davcar
09-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Problem is spend big on players wages = higher tax liabilities, slow and sure improvements never looked so good! Finishing 2nd place for this season should be our goal! Victory in the 4th round Scottish Cup would be a huge bonus too!

GGTTH

SteveHFC
09-11-2012, 01:37 PM
£250M :wink:

Mikey
09-11-2012, 01:57 PM
£20M every year. Even that wouldn't guarantee anything because Celtic would still have a significant advantage.

On the basis of our current attendances we would only have to charge £2000 per person for a season ticket, no concessions :greengrin

euansdad
09-11-2012, 02:00 PM
IMO, we have to keep producing youngsters. We haven't got the money Celtic have and it would be hard to spend as big and to e honest, having seen clubs like hearts and rangers spend out with their means, I would want to. Might take a while but keep producing youngsters and we will be here or thereabouts eventually

Hibercelona
09-11-2012, 02:07 PM
There's far too many factors involved.

Simply throwing money at a club, won't instantly make them world beaters.

So it's impossible to say that XX Million will win you the league.

euansdad
09-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Exactly and Barcelona are an example. Ok, there is a big difference between us and them in most regards but the principle is the same. They had to compete for league titles against Madrid who threw millions upon millions on superstar footballers but they competed and built success around producing their own through their academy. Maybe that is the kind of blueprint we have to follow for long term success

frazeHFC
09-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Nothing, we're gonna win it this season.

HiBremian
09-11-2012, 03:03 PM
There's far too many factors involved.

Simply throwing money at a club, won't instantly make them world beaters.

So it's impossible to say that XX Million will win you the league.

Spot on.

£2m here or there isn't the issue, it's the current league structure that makes it almost impossible for Hibs, or any other team outwith the Ugly Sisters as was, to compete for the title. Would much rather we could have a go at the title because we've helped make Scottish football more competitive generally, instead of trying to buy it a la Mad Vlad.

This is the way to a Hibs league title win:

http://fansfirstscotland.com/the-fansfirst-plan/

JeMeSouviens
09-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Exactly and Barcelona are an example. Ok, there is a big difference between us and them in most regards but the principle is the same. They had to compete for league titles against Madrid who threw millions upon millions on superstar footballers but they competed and built success around producing their own through their academy. Maybe that is the kind of blueprint we have to follow for long term success

Barca throw their money around too but in a different way. They recruit the best talent at a young age and pay them handsomely to stick around. Their wage bill is enormous and comfortably outstrips Madrid's. Result is a settled team that's mostly been brought up playing their system. They are massively in debt though.

We could've followed this model by going large on wages to try and keep the golden generation together. Would probably have bankrupted us though.

gussyboy
10-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Lets walk before we can run. A top 6 will do me

heidtheba
10-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Only a few million...but shed loads of luck in choosing players. I'd rather we went for the best talent scouts and youth player development than spend megabucks on players. Celtic will be able to get players with a recognised pedigree. It usually works, but not always (Juninho, Berkovich etc). They can also afford to keep good players together for longer than we ever could by offering European football regularly and a higher wage.

I reckon if we had the 'Golden Generation' come through now, added to some of the players we have, we could compete with them equally for a year. The better we did, and the longer we did it for, the less chance we'd be able to keep it all together.

Question - lets say we could consistently bring through talent and sell for a good profit, would we ever be in a place to keep our better players or is that never going to happen because of the disparity between English leagues and Scotland?

KWJ
10-11-2012, 10:03 PM
IMO, we have to keep producing youngsters. We haven't got the money Celtic have and it would be hard to spend as big and to e honest, having seen clubs like hearts and rangers spend out with their means, I would want to. Might take a while but keep producing youngsters and we will be here or thereabouts eventually

Yup. You can see the difference John Park has made at Celtic with the young players they have picked up and brought on.

muzzhfc
10-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Only a few million...but shed loads of luck in choosing players. I'd rather we went for the best talent scouts and youth player development than spend megabucks on players. Celtic will be able to get players with a recognised pedigree. It usually works, but not always (Juninho, Berkovich etc). They can also afford to keep good players together for longer than we ever could by offering European football regularly and a higher wage.

I reckon if we had the 'Golden Generation' come through now, added to some of the players we have, we could compete with them equally for a year. The better we did, and the longer we did it for, the less chance we'd be able to keep it all together.

Question - lets say we could consistently bring through talent and sell for a good profit, would we ever be in a place to keep our better players or is that never going to happen because of the disparity between English leagues and Scotland?

depends on our league positionings. if we stayed at/near the top then we would be able to keep the squad together for a longer period, and build from there.

duncandonuts36
10-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Interesting article last year about relationship between money spent and points gained in the EPL. Haven't seen similar for SPL but imagine pattern similar but with bigger gap to OF.

http://onfooty.com/2011/05/financial-breakdown-of-the-english-premier-league.html

Whilst its not all down to pumping more money in - there's diminishing returns the more you spend - it is the biggest single factor behind success.

Also "if you invest in players you won’t necessarily be profitable and if you are profitable it doesn’t mean you will have a successful team."

Sean1875
10-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Lets not get too carried away, dont be forgetting our usual mid-season slump :worried:

heidtheba
10-11-2012, 10:37 PM
depends on our league positionings. if we stayed at/near the top then we would be able to keep the squad together for a longer period, and build from there.

Good points - possibly pie in the sky stuff BUT, regularly competing in CL as runners up...I'd love to know how big a selling point that was for Hertz to get players or if it was just mainly the wages they (didn't) pay?

Thoughts?

euansdad
10-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Lets not get too carried away, dont be forgetting our usual mid-season slump :worried:

Aye true. I'd have been cock a hoop at a top 6 finish after past season

muzzhfc
10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Good points - possibly pie in the sky stuff BUT, regularly competing in CL as runners up...I'd love to know how big a selling point that was for Hertz to get players or if it was just mainly the wages they (didn't) pay?

Thoughts?

the league position will of had something to do with it, specially when trying to sign other spl players (barr, hamill etc) while the wages will of also been a big thing. without getting a head of ourselves, theres no reason why we can not be challenging for europe come the end of the season. if we finish 2nd then we get more money. 50% of which should be re invested in the squad. the remaining 50% should be split up into; paying off debts (we do have them guys. lets not pretend otherwise), the youth teamS and then the remaining should then go into the bank as a rainy day fund.

Fife-Hibee
10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Lets not forget who's in charge 2moro! We'll get nowt out of this game !

Sir David Gray
10-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Too much.

Given how bad things have been over the past couple of years, I'm more than happy with where we find ourselves at the moment.

At the start of the season, I would have been more than happy with being in the top six so to be joint top of the league after almost a third of the season has been played is brilliant.

Purple & Green
10-11-2012, 11:04 PM

If every team in the league invested £12m, one team would still be relegated.

Onceinawhile
10-11-2012, 11:34 PM
What was the wage bill of hmfc during the great ones reign? Because the answer is around that much.