PDA

View Full Version : Alex McLeish, Kenny Miller, the old huns and £3m...

3pm
08-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Did we get £3m for Miller?

McLeish just said so on the Footballers Football Show!

Thought it was less!

Hiber-nation
08-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Did we get £3m for Miller?

McLeish just said so on the Footballers Football Show!

Thought it was less!

Nah he's slavering -was defo £2m.

Part/Time Supporter
08-11-2012, 11:11 PM

Possibly getting mixed up with the amount the Huns sold him for to Wolves. IIRC selling Miller was his first action as their manager.

Spike Mandela
08-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Was there perhaps a sell on?

basehibby
09-11-2012, 12:07 AM

The £3M would be the tax they didn'y pay on his contract presumably

CB_NO3
09-11-2012, 12:58 AM
Defo 2.

IWasThere2016
09-11-2012, 07:21 AM
£2m - we wanted more. They allegedly arranged for the bank to call in some of Hibs' debt, and we needed the sale. Hence we sold for £2m. So the rumour goes anyway..

3pm
09-11-2012, 07:35 AM
He was talking nonsense anyway.

'I got a call saying £2m had been offered. I said no because I wouldn't get a replacement for that so I wanted £3m'.

I just about done a 'Foulkes' when I heard that! He did eventually say he was seeing none of it.

If I recall, we signed Agathe then Zitelli when he left. Certainly not £3m worth!!!

Future17
09-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I know it's not the issue being discussed, but AMc must have the best transfer record as Hibs boss in my lifetime (in terms of VFM), being the Miller period onward.

CB_NO3
09-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Decent record, but mind we were chucking 5k a week at some players, so that was the big attraction really. This was the start of the big Sky deal.

Thecat23
09-11-2012, 10:02 AM
We got just over £2m for Kenny. Source? Kenny himself :agree:

connerg
10-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Was there perhaps a sell on?
Think we got 10% of the 3m as a sell on clause when Miller went to Wolves,

jgl07
10-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I know it's not the issue being discussed, but AMc must have the best transfer record as Hibs boss in my lifetime (in terms of VFM), being the Miller period onward.

McLeish signed so many players with his relvolving door transfer policy that some of them were bound to be good.

He made some real horror signings such as Paul Holsgrove. There was also the Austrian defender who made a brief appearance away to St Mirren and was never seen again. He made a number of so so signings such as Derek Collins, and Dirk Lehmann not to mention some great ones such as Latapy, Sauzee, O'Neil, Smith, etc.

This all came at a high cost and nearly bust Hibs.

LeighLoyal
10-11-2012, 05:29 PM
He signed Laursen, Jack, Mixu, O'Neill, Lovell, too. Good players. Almost got Agathe also.

Ray_
10-11-2012, 06:29 PM
McLeish signed so many players with his relvolving door transfer policy that some of them were bound to be good.

He made some real horror signings such as Paul Holsgrove. There was also the Austrian defender who made a brief appearance away to St Mirren and was never seen again. He made a number of so so signings such as Derek Collins, and Dirk Lehmann not to mention some great ones such as Latapy, Sauzee, O'Neil, Smith, etc.

What about all the money Duffy wasted, transfer fees & high wages. Many of his flops were still at the club when McLeish was there and we were paying out for them and the players who were needed to bring the club up and re-estabish the club in the top league & that's why we ended up with a squad somewhere between 50-60 players & that's a major part of reason for the massive debt we had.

Mr White
10-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Fabrice Henry.

Makaveli
10-11-2012, 10:26 PM

If we hadn't been promoted that year, "doing a Hearts" would have been a serious concern.

And, Aberdeen semi aside, guys like Derek Collins did a job. Paul Lovering, Tom Smith and the like - these guys played a lot of games alongside Sauzee, Latapy and Mixu when we came up. Of course we threw money at the adventure season but we had to make sure, and in fairness McLeish did get the perfect mix of quality players and solid pros with experience of the division. Sally McCoist would have done well to take note! :agree:

Other less glamorous signings did well, too: Archie, Fenwick and especially Gary Smith who IMO is the most underrated signing in the time I've followed Hibs, an important player in two great sides. Then there was De La Cruz who made a quick and tidy profit.

There were Daquins, Jeans and Arpinons who didn't work out but every manager has those. I f***ing hate McLeish but on balance I reckon his signing record was better than Mowbray's and obviously everyone else's since.