PDA

View Full Version : Consequences for Hibs if Hearts go bust

scott7_0(Prague)
08-11-2012, 05:28 AM
It's as close to a derby as we will get after all. :greengrin

:worms:

euansdad
08-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Probably not. As much as I dislike them they are probably untouchable for the next few years as far as domestic fitba goes. Probably Aberdeen or Motherwell!

Keith_M
08-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Surely it's Motherwell?

My first ever away game and I've always enjoyed going there.

Ultrabee1-0
08-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Aberdeen,motherwell, dundee utd or spartans take you pick...

Steve20
08-11-2012, 08:15 AM
As long as Hearts are still here, they're our rivals. Possibly getting ahead of ourselves with the end of Hearts stuff.

James70
08-11-2012, 08:20 AM
I am as amused as any other Hibee about Hearts current predicament and certainly do not sympathise with the Yam supporters after all their arrogance towards us over the last few years.

It is possible that this is yet another tax bill which will be paid at the last minute and may even be a ploy by the mad one to get the great deluded to cough up their life savings.

However if our neighbours were to go to the wall it would be bound to have a financial impact not only on our club but on the rest of Scottish football. We would lose at least one home derby each season and, like it or not, they do invariably fill the away stand when they visit. To build a good Hibs side we need as much income through the gates as possible.

I would far rather get our revenge on the park and give their weakened side a good hammering every time we met rather than see them cease to exist.

OK, I am sure that I will be in the minority with these thoughts but as I say I am not a Yam sympathiser. I will enjoy the next few days watching the infighting and the begging bowls coming out but the loss of the derby match can only be bad news for our club.

Saorsa
08-11-2012, 08:23 AM
I am as amused as any other Hibee about Hearts current predicament and certainly do not sympathise with the Yam supporters after all their arrogance towards us over the last few years.

It is possible that this is yet another tax bill which will be paid at the last minute and may even be a ploy by the mad one to get the great deluded to cough up their life savings.

However if our neighbours were to go to the wall it would be bound to have a financial impact not only on our club but on the rest of Scottish football. We would lose at least one home derby each season and, like it or not, they do invariably fill the away stand when they visit. To build a good Hibs side we need as much income through the gates as possible.

I would far rather get our revenge on the park and give their weakened side a good hammering every time we met rather than see them cease to exist.

OK, I am sure that I will be in the minority with these thoughts but as I say I am not a Yam sympathiser. I will enjoy the next few days watching the infighting and the begging bowls coming out but the loss of the derby match can only be bad news for our club.I'm sure you'll find at least one tae share your view, I replied tae on another thread :wink:

My view remains the same, **** them

Ultrabee1-0
08-11-2012, 08:25 AM
The league would open up, aberdeen would come near to filling it if they are close to us in the league, celtic would fill it, motherwell and utd would not fill it but bring more supporters we will be sound!

gackohibs
08-11-2012, 08:29 AM

OK, I am sure that I will be in the minority with these thoughts but as I say I am not a Yam sympathiser. I will enjoy the next few days watching the infighting and the begging bowls coming out but the loss of the derby match can only be bad news for our club.

i half agree with you mate. i want to see them punished for their arrogance and spending outwith their means(CHEATING) over all the years. id like to see them severely weakened so we can get our own back! however if they ceased to exist i would only shed tears of joy.

if they go under they most certainly deserve it, everything happens for a reason

Jones28
08-11-2012, 08:30 AM
The league gets blown wide open and attendances all round improve as a result of more competetion.

Hearts should be actively encouraged to die to create a better league for everyone :agree:

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 08:33 AM
The league gets blown wide open and attendances all round improve as a result of more competetion.

Hearts should be actively encouraged to die to create a better league for everyone :agree:

The league's wide open now. Hearts ceasing to exist would do nothing in terms of changing competition. The only tangable difference for Hibs would be the loss of two of its highest attended games. Long term it would definitely not be good for Hibs, anyone who thinks otherwise is being short sighted.

Part/Time Supporter
08-11-2012, 08:34 AM
What you are saying is true, but the problem is I can't see how you're going to get to a situation where you have a Hearts (in some legal form or other) playing in the SPL and living within their means anytime soon. Also worth noting in this context that Hearts don't tend to sell out the away end if they think they're going to lose.

If this drags on into next week I really hope there isn't a load of pious crap in the media about "poor Hearts fans". What about the poor fans of other SPL teams who have had to pay to watch their team struggle within their means while being beaten more often than not by these cheats?

Billy Whizz
08-11-2012, 08:35 AM
We can play them home and away in the East of Scotland shield!!!

KWJ
08-11-2012, 08:35 AM
...And the extra cash for finishing a place higher in the league.

As Rod Petrie stated when asked if Scottish Football needed Rangers : "Scottish football needs successful, well managed clubs".

DarrenSQH
08-11-2012, 08:36 AM
More sponsorship opportunities as Edinburghs only premier team.

More supporter opportunities as any kids growing up in edinburgh will only have the choice of 1 proffesional local club.

proud_and_green
08-11-2012, 08:39 AM
I will miss the derbies, the banter and all that rivals stuff. Can't imagine looking forward to a local derby with Livingstone!!!

so on that score i would prefer them to survive and for us to pump them royally every time we meet them for the next 1000 years. I want my daughter and her kids to experience the delight of gubbing them.

I do though want them to suffer horribly and understand the cause of their downfall was their greed, arrogance and stupidity!!

DaveF
08-11-2012, 08:40 AM
What you are saying is true, but the problem is I can't see how you're going to get to a situation where you have a Hearts (in some legal form or other) playing in the SPL and living within their means anytime soon. Also worth noting in this context that Hearts don't tend to sell out the away end if they think they're going to lose.

If this drags on into next week I really hope there isn't a load of pious crap in the media about "poor Hearts fans". What about the poor fans of other SPL teams who have had to pay to watch their team struggle within their means while being beaten more often than not by these cheats?

Spot on PTS. Stephen Craigan almost went for them last night on Radio Scotland but stopped short of calling them for what they are.

JeMeSouviens
08-11-2012, 08:42 AM

Their filling of the away end is definitely not "invariable", get your 6-2 dvd out if you don't believe me.

It would certainly hit us financially in the short term, but in the longer term everything is up for grabs. Maybe one team in Edinburgh would attract more support. 500 extra STs would cover a derby. :wink:

Thecat23
08-11-2012, 08:46 AM
I posted something along the same lines mate. I want them punished big time and hope the fans who gave us it tight are bricking it. But taking of the green specs for a min. I think we may end up like Aberdeen with no real rivalry with anyone. I want revenge on the park for that day in May if they went bust we won't get that. If they drop to division 3 fair do's at least we could meet again and we will be far stronger than that mob.

SMAXXA
08-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Financial Armageddon the sequel

We are all doomed.

jacomo
08-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Financial Armageddon the sequel

We are all doomed.

:greengrin

This will be worse, surely... if a club the size of Hearts were to fail, world football would probably collapse.

I imagine Barack Obama is being briefed on the situation and would be willing to step in if necessary. No doubt Regan and Doncaster are on their way to Lithuania for an urgent meeting but this is way too big for them now.

Keith_M
08-11-2012, 08:56 AM
I will miss the derbies, the banter and all that rivals stuff. Can't imagine looking forward to a local derby with Livingstone!!!

so on that score i would prefer them to survive and for us to pump them royally every time we meet them for the next 1000 years. I want my daughter and her kids to experience the delight of gubbing them.

I do though want them to suffer horribly and understand the cause of their downfall was their greed, arrogance and stupidity!!

This

PatHead
08-11-2012, 08:58 AM
The same civil unrest we had after Rangers died.

Makaveli
08-11-2012, 09:02 AM
As someone alluded, with Hibs and Aberdeen fighting for 2nd they will fill the away end like they did when we were fighting for 3rd in 04/05. A decent United side with a shot at 2nd/3rd might encourage more of them to travel, too.

Without Hearts we will have less gross income, however the expenditure required to finish in any given position will be less without their unjustly-inflated squad of recent years. It more than balances out.

Everyone in the league hates Hearts for a reason: they cheat. No Rangers and Hearts withholding tax makes for a fairer SPL, and perhaps even that much lauded sporting integrity we've heard so much about..

silverhibee
08-11-2012, 09:07 AM

One City One Club. Hibernian FC.

F*** the h*****

GGTTH

SlickShoes
08-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Like someone else said we would lose the support they bring twice a season, however we would gain being the only pro club in the city. More money would come in through sponsors and possibly more fans, hopefully enough to offset them bringing 2000 fans once every 6 months.

All the wee guys growing up as well, do you support Hibs in the premier league or The Hearts FC stuck in division 3?

silverhibee
08-11-2012, 09:10 AM

:top marks

LeighLoyal
08-11-2012, 09:14 AM
I'd rather they stayed in business and in the spl, albeit at a St Mirren type level.

Sunny1875
08-11-2012, 09:19 AM
As the Bad man once said One City -ONE Team. The fans will have only the choice of Hibs as the Local team, in around 5/10 years this could reap dividends for Hibs If the product is right on the park. The Children and Grandchildren of the foolish follow the Local Edinburgh side, might have to fill the corners in at ER.
It may even provide a short term boost for the local economy as the misplaced yams might get dragged around the shops on a Saturday by their Spouses

euansdad
08-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Got to admit that i would miss the derby games and the pre-match buzz and nerves of playing them lot and after a barren run, i want the chance of revenge or to look down at them in a lower league. Im not in favour of them dying but id be happy to see them get the same treatment as their Glesga cousins and filter about in Division three

Fife-Hibee
08-11-2012, 09:20 AM

Eh" Nah !! F..k them

euansdad
08-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Probably Aberdeen and Motherwell as the posts above said. They will probably battle with us (Probably!) for the second spot

AndyM_1875
08-11-2012, 09:22 AM
I'd rather they stayed in business and in the spl, albeit at a St Mirren type level.

No chance. Not after the arrogance & hubris they've displayed.
They can gtf to Division 3.

One City, One Team.

muzzhfc
08-11-2012, 09:31 AM

st mirren were a bogey team of ours so not at their level.

i would like to see them punted a la sevco style and make them work their way back up the leagues. then be as bad as we were last season, but for a much much much longer period. maybe they could have the odd cup run where they play us, the wee team, and get trounced 7-0, just so that way they wouldnt be able to bring may up, even though it wouldnt be part of their history

SaudiHibby
08-11-2012, 09:45 AM
In my humble opinion the only real conversation about the Yams future should take place between me and my forefathers, who to a man were Hibby's from Leith from the very beginning of our great club. Now I know that cannot happen but I also know in my heart that if they knew that I was advocating anything other than their complete and utter demise they would be eternally disappointed that I did not represent them and their views properly. So in their collective name - **** em, let them die and let's take our chances.

Ozyhibby
08-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Long term it can only be good for Hibs being the only team in a city the size of Edinburgh.
Newcastle and Leeds are about the same size as Edinburgh and have only one team.
Slowly but surely we will start to pick up fans who may have headed to the PBS. Students who come to the city and stay, youngsters who's parents weren't dyed in the wool jambos etc.
Wallace Mercer was right.

euansdad
08-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Long term it can only be good for Hibs being the only team in a city the size of Edinburgh.
Newcastle and Leeds are about the same size as Edinburgh and have only one team.
Slowly but surely we will start to pick up fans who may have headed to the PBS. Students who come to the city and stay, youngsters who's parents weren't dyed in the wool jambos etc.

Yip, agreed. Financially and in the long term it wont be disastrous for us. Id just miss the adrenaline rush of derby day is all.

jacomo
08-11-2012, 09:56 AM
They've been our rivals for close to 125 years, have they not?

Phil D. Rolls
08-11-2012, 10:01 AM
In the new age of Scottish football, I'd like to see all other clubs being treated with respect. I hope we don't fall into the trap of seeing ourselves as the big men. A league where everyone competes on a level playing field (or Dens Park) is what we should aim for.

Beefster
08-11-2012, 10:16 AM
In the new age of Scottish football, I'd like to see all other clubs being treated with respect. I hope we don't fall into the trap of seeing ourselves as the big men. A league where everyone competes on a level playing field (or Dens Park) is what we should aim for.

Indeed. Thinking we're some sort of big shots is very Yammish.

joe breezy
08-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Edinburgh needs just one big team and that is Hibernian.

There will always be a form of Hearts, I'm sure their hardcore fans will set up their own team in the Juniors, that may eventually work its way up to the 3rd division one day, in the meantime we'll be vying for Champions League and playing in Europe.

Vini1875
08-11-2012, 10:21 AM
It will cost us and if we don't invest to be up around the top of the league then how are we going to attract new fans? hearts will continue in the 3rd just like the huns if they go bust and if their fans rally around they will be back after a few years. or Hibs I think it would be better if they survived in the SPL, but sorted out their money situation and we were able to invest and hump them, that is the way to gain more fans.

The only way for us to not miss them or the huns is to access European competition money and win trophies.

euansdad
08-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Agreed mate. A genuine competitive league is what we need and the increase in quality will come from that

nickwhibs
08-11-2012, 10:26 AM
I posted the something along the same lines mate. I want them punished big time and hope the fans who gave us it tight are bricking it. But taking of the green specs for a min. I think we may end up like Aberdeen with no real rivalry with anyone. I want revenge on the park for that day in May if they went bust we won't get that. If they drop to division 3 fair do's at least we could meet again and we will be far stronger than that mob.

I agree. Let's get revenge on the park - not off it! Loved that quote from James McPake saying Hearts would no longer walk all over us. Let's have a period of Hibs domination - much more satisfying.

Thecat23
08-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I agree. Let's get revenge on the park - not off it! Loved that quote from James McPake saying Hearts would no longer walk all over us. Let's have a period of Hibs domination - much more satisfying.

imagine getting them in another cup and they are in Div 3 with players who are rank rotten. We could maul them and that would kill their support. Big team my @rse.

Bristolhibby
08-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Their kids will be Hibees. One Professional team in Edinburgh, back up that Union Jack, and make your way to Easter Road.

As has been mentioned, I love match days in Southampton, Newcastle, Portsmouth, because everyone is wearing the colours and support the same team. School mates all behind one team. This will happen quicker than people think.

Within about 10 years, as long as the product on the park is good, the crowds will come flowing in.

I find it funny that the “establishment” clubs Rangers/Hearts are the two that are going to the wall. While the clubs founded y the oppressed outsiders Us/Celtic, appear to be flourishing.

The tables have well and truly turned. I put this down to their superiority complex, (must be better than these upstarts, must pump money into the club). That has been their downfall.

The difference between Rangers and Hearts, is that once Hearts are liquidated, there is NOTHING left. No Ticketus money, no sugar daddies, no ground “sold” back for a fraction of the cost.

They are destined to be a East of Scotland team, if they can somehow raise a team together. Players will walk for nothing, Vlad will sell Tynie in an effort to recoup losses, HMRC will appoint the liquidator (no Duffer & Phelps).

Emerald
08-11-2012, 10:58 AM
A small country like Scotland can't really afford to have two of its biggest clubs going into liquidation and I do think on the face of it, it would be bad for Scottish football. However, they reap what they sow and years of cheating followed by arrogance has got to come at a price and that price should be very expensive. We were beaten by Livingston in the league cup final, a team who could not afford the players who beat us, then Hearts in the semi final and final of the Scottish cup. Again a team who couldn't afford the players that beat us. Ironically they met Gretna in the final, you've guessed it, another team gone to the wall due to having players they couldn't afford!

The problem as I see it though lay with the governing bodies who should have put a stop to all this nonsense and cheating years ago. However, by stopping Livingston, Gretna, Hearts etc it would have been necesarry to take the same stance with Rangers, so a blind eye was turned and look how that ended. How can any club have a bigger wage bill than their entire income and be allowed to carry on regardless signing more players, adding more debt and cheating well run clubs out of success, it just stinks?

In my opinion, they need to be punished big time and reminded time after time that everything they achieved was by the way of cheating. But, I would still rather they were here in a much meeker state than gone forever. :fibber:

Diclonius
08-11-2012, 10:58 AM
I hate them but I'd miss the derby. The feeling we get when we beat them is incomparable to any other in football IMO. We could beat Celtic 5-0 and it wouldn't be the same as a scrappy *****y 1-0 against them. For that reason I want Hearts to suffer, naybe default into the 3rd for a few years and come back weakened. But survive. You can't get revenge against a dead team.

Big Frank
08-11-2012, 11:00 AM
The league's wide open now. Hearts ceasing to exist would do nothing in terms of changing competition. The only tangable difference for Hibs would be the loss of two of its highest attended games. Long term it would definitely not be good for Hibs, anyone who thinks otherwise is being short sighted.

It would not be good for Hibernian to be the only club in the Capital :confused:

Future football fans growing up as Hibbys would be a bad thing for Hibernian:confused:

probs you who is being short sighted.

Stevie Reid
08-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Celtic were predicted to struggle in the Champions League without the competition from Rangers.

I'm sure Manchester United fans enjoyed life more before Man City became the richest club in the world.

If Hearts go to the wall, it's nobody's fault but their own, and I fail to see why any of this should be a problem for us. Going forward, a city with a 500,000 population (which doubles during tourist seasons) and only Hibs in it sounds good to me.

Part/Time Supporter
08-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Celtic were predicted to struggle in the Champions League without the competition from Rangers.

I'm sure Manchester United fans enjoyed life more before Man City became the richest club in the world.

If Hearts go to the wall, it's nobody's fault but their own, and I fail to see why any of this should be a problem for us. Going forward, a city with a 500,000 population (which doubles during tourist seasons) and only Hibs in it sounds good to me.

In reality it's worked the other way, partly due to good management by Lennon. Celtic have rested players and taken the odd bad result in the SPL, knowing there is far less pressure to win every game, to have their strongest possible lineup available for European games.

--------
08-11-2012, 11:21 AM

Is this Armageddon Mk 2, by any chance?

We were all supposed to be going into meltdown when Rangers were excluded from the SPL, yet in many ways the League table is a lot tighter and more competitive right now than at this time last year. SPL clubs were facing a financial crisis, we were told, without the gate moneys and TV deals that depended so much on the pulling power of Rangers.

Hearts will not be missed. The air will smell sweeter, the Fat-Ugly-Lardass quotient in SPL grounds will drop to a fraction of its present level, and Gorgie Road will have a spanking new Tesco/ASDA/Morrisons/whatever supermarket and some nice new blocks of flats.

AND HIBERNAIAN FC WILL GO ON.

I am a simple chap. I don't like complication. I believe in the K-I-S-S principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

So in pursuit of that ideal, I want Heart of Midlothian DEAD. I can live without the derbies, knowing that there are diehard Jambos crying in their buckfast while Hibs host Aberdeen or Inverness or St Mirren at the Holy Ground while all that's happening at Tynie is yet another special offer on loo paper or haemorrhoid cream. Hibs will survive without the dirty money generated by that bunch of sewer-life.

If this leads to a sharp increase in the suicide rate in the west of Edinburgh, so be it - as long as they don't do it in the street and disrupt the bus service. If Gorgie and Dalry fill up with distressed, lachrymose blubberguts in dysentery-coloured clothing, I will go there and take photographs. And post them on the internet for the entertainment of my fellow Hibees.

I don't ask for much.

I JUST WANT THEM DEAD.

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Never mind what it will mean to us, what about what it will do to the country's defense?

We could be left without a proper army without the jambos, perhaps it's time we thought again about this?

Mac
08-11-2012, 11:31 AM
The simple and realistic truth is a club like Hibs would be financially hurt by the loss of 2 Cat A games for a considerable amount if time, not only that but with TV teetering on the brink without the huns i think this may well push it over the edge.

There would be better competition in the short term but other clubs wouldnt bring the numbers or revenue 4 times a season that yams and huns do, sorry although I want to see them suffer I would rather it wasnt to the detriment of my club.

Stevie Reid
08-11-2012, 11:32 AM
In reality it's worked the other way, partly due to good management by Lennon. Celtic have rested players and taken the odd bad result in the SPL, knowing there is far less pressure to win every game, to have their strongest possible lineup available for European games.

Exactly, they just beat one of the finest teams the world has ever seen whilst playing in a league without Rangers.

FWIW, I honestly thought that Celtic would get papped by everyone in that group (nowt to do with Rangers though).

--------
08-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Long term it can only be good for Hibs being the only team in a city the size of Edinburgh. Newcastle and Leeds are about the same size as Edinburgh and have only one team. Slowly but surely we will start to pick up fans who may have headed to the PBS. Students who come to the city and stay, youngsters who's parents weren't dyed in the wool jambos etc.

He was.

He was just looking out of the wrong boardroom window. :devil:

Part/Time Supporter
08-11-2012, 11:36 AM
The simple and realistic truth is a club like Hibs would be financially hurt by the loss of 2 Cat A games for a considerable amount if time, not only that but with TV teetering on the brink without the huns i think this may well push it over the edge.

There would be better competition in the short term but other clubs wouldnt bring the numbers or revenue 4 times a season that yams and huns do, sorry although I want to see them suffer I would rather it wasnt to the detriment of my club.

What Hearts have been doing for the last number of years has been far greater to the detriment of Hibs. Ideally they would sort out this crisis and then live within their means, giving a fair competition between all the SPL clubs bar Celtic. I don't believe they are capable of that now. They had their choice when Robinson was telling them they had to sell Tynecastle and get rid of that debt - it would have hurt, but they would have been safe. They chose Romanov.

PatHead
08-11-2012, 11:42 AM
I think this could be a great opportunity for our club. We will be the Capital's Premier Club.

The marketing opportunities will increase dramatically. I am aware of a few companies who did not want to show a preference to one club or other. There is a chance they may take a box on occassions.

Other games will become more important but it will also increase the pressure for an SPL1 and SPL2.

Hibs will also need to raise their profile in schools, boys clubs, girls football teams etc. This is a chance to ensure we are the main club for a generation.

Makaveli
08-11-2012, 11:45 AM

But it's not.

Absolute income is irrelevant; outliving two of the three teams who have consistently outspent us leaves our club in a far better relative position within the SPL than we were 12 months ago.

PatHead
08-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Celtic raising the profile of the SPL through their European success will probably attract more interest with sponsors than Hearts going bust will detract.

Craig_in_Prague
08-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Hibs will prosper as the capitals club, I have no doubt.

At the end of the day, if clubs lose a little bit of money from cheats not being around anymore, then everyone needs to adjust accordingly.
Sporting Integrity all day long.

I'd also hope Hibs fans will turn up in greater numbers, we have to realize every penny we put into our club is put back into the club, we have built an incredibly good infrastructure (through a time of recession) and we can only go from strength to strength now.

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 12:05 PM
It would not be good for Hibernian to be the only club in the Capital :confused:

No, it wouldn't. Hibs and Hearts currently have a massive advantage over the other teams in that they have each other. The Scottish cup game in December will probably be the highest attended game of our season, the new year game at Tinny will be their highest attended game of their season, these are the games that TV companies want to show and TV companies will pay for. Money aside, it would be totally boring. You might not appreciate it until it's gone but a local rivalry makes competing more meaningful and exiting. The derby is priceless for both of these reasons.

The loss of excitement would hit the attendances of the other games. The novelty of the huns' demise hasn't even worn off for Celtc yet and look at the state of their attendences this year.

So no, I want there to be two teams in Edinburgh.

lord bunberry
08-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Never mind what it will mean to us, what about what it will do to the country's defense?

We could be left without a proper army without the jambos, perhaps it's time we thought again about this?

Al qaeda are behind this its a plot to destabilize the British army

clerriehibs
08-11-2012, 12:12 PM
No, it wouldn't. Hibs and Hearts currently have a massive advantage over the other teams in that they have each other. The Scottish cup game in December will probably be the highest attended game of our season, the new year game at Tinny will be their highest attended game of their season, these are the games that TV companies want to show and TV companies will pay for. Money aside, it would be totally boring. You might not appreciate it until it's gone but a local rivalry makes competing more meaningful and exiting. The derby is priceless for both of these reasons.

The loss of excitement would hit the attendances of the other games. The novelty of the huns' demise hasn't even worn off for Celtc yet and look at the state of their attendences this year.

Not that massive unless we've REALLY pissed it up against a wall. Aberdeen:s modern history and support is at least as good as ours in a one team half the size city. Remind me what hearts offer us other than bile and cheating?

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Not that massive unless we've REALLY pissed it up against a wall. Aberdeen:s modern history and support is at least as good as ours in a one team half the size city. Remind me what hearts offer us other than bile and cheating?

Our most financially lucrative fixtures, our most exciting and meaningful fixtures and a competitor in the SPL whose existence makes competing worthwhile. Do you really think our fans will be as excited to finish above Aberdeen or Dundee United? They wouldn't, and after the novelty wore off the SPL would become pretty mundane for us, as it already has for Celtc.

JeMeSouviens
08-11-2012, 12:20 PM
But it's not.

Absolute income is irrelevant; outliving two of the three teams who have consistently outspent us leaves our club in a far better relative position within the SPL than we were 12 months ago.

Good point. :agree: How much has the HMFC overspend forced wages up at other clubs trying to compete against them?

clerriehibs
08-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Our most financially lucrative fixtures, our most exciting and meaningful fixtures and a competitor in the SPL whose existence makes competing worthwhile. Do you really think our fans will be as excited to finish above Aberdeen or Dundee United? They wouldn't, and after the novelty wore off the SPL would become pretty mundane for us, as it already has for Celtc.

You haven't answered why aberdeen don't need a poisonous twin. Hibs mean as much to me as hibs and hearts do. Hearts mean nothing to me.

JeMeSouviens
08-11-2012, 12:22 PM

A successful Hibs with no derby would be *far* more exciting to me than a mediocre Hibs with one.

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 12:25 PM
You haven't answered why aberdeen don't need a poisonous twin. Hibs mean as much to me as hibs and hearts do. Hearts mean nothing to me.

I never said Hibs need Hearts. I said we'd be worse off without them. If Aberdeen had a guaranteed near sell out fixture twice year they'd be better off, Hibs currently have an advantage over these other teams in that we do. And we'd lose that advantage.

Keith_M
08-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Consequences for Hibs if Hearts go bust

I think we would have a greatly reduced support.

Going by the comments on here, 2-3,000 Hibs fans would die laughing.

:greengrin

silverhibee
08-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Really.

Or is this a whoooooosh.

Keith_M
08-11-2012, 12:29 PM
I never said Hibs need Hearts. I said we'd be worse off without them. If Aberdeen had a guaranteed near sell out fixture twice year they'd be better off, Hibs currently have an advantage over these other teams in that we do. And we'd lose that advantage.

Sorry but have you looked at the attendances at derby matches in recent years? Since when does 6,000 empty seats out of 20,000 constitute a near sell out? We got more against Falkirk in the 1st division.

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 12:30 PM
A successful Hibs with no derby would be *far* more exciting to me than a mediocre Hibs with one.

So if Hearts exist then we're resigned to mediocrity? What a piss-poor attitude that is.

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Sorry but have you looked at the attendances at derby matches in recent years? Since when does 6,000 empty seats out of 20,000 constitute a near sell out? We got more against Falkirk in the 1st division.

Before the stadium was developed and when we were doing well the games were near sell outs. We can get back to that easily. What's for sure though is that there will be a hell of a lot more interest than if we were playing Dunfermline or Livingston.

Stevie Reid
08-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Aberdeen gladly gave up their home games vs Rangers and their attendances went up this year.

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Aberdeen gladly gave up their home games vs Rangers and their attendances went up this year.

Despite what Aberdeen fans say Aberdeen v Rangers is not a derby. The fact that they claim so kind of emphasises what I'm saying even more.

Big Frank
08-11-2012, 12:39 PM

I respect your position. However I think its wrong. (Celtic have a fabulous attendance and support. They will still support them whether their bitterest rivals and cheats are there or not. Suggesting a supports attendance has dwindled because a cheating rival is no longer in their division is frankly rubbish. There are many reasons why attendances fluctuate, the main one at the moment would be the state of the economy and your average Joe's financial position for example).

Hibernian will be bigger and stronger. The merricks are of no consequence to Hibernian.

As a lad just younger than you are now when Wallet tried to end us, I am LOVING this.

Taking the amount of guff I have done from merricks for the last 7odd years since this maniac took over them, I am LOVING this.

They have cheated Scottish Football and the Scottish people for 7 years.

Did I say I am LOVING this :greengrin

LeighLoyal
08-11-2012, 12:40 PM
I would miss the derby. I must be mellowing with age because in my younger days I'd have been happy to see them go bust, very happy, must be an age thing.

Pedantic_Hibee
08-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Don't even need to read the thread. We'll prosper. Big style.

Stevie Reid
08-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Despite what Aberdeen fans say Aberdeen v Rangers is not a derby. The fact that they claim so kind of emphasises what I'm saying even more.

I didn't claim that it was, and no it doesn't.

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 12:48 PM
I didn't claim that it was

Why did you make a comparison then? The Aberdeen v Rangers fixture isn't as important to Aberdeen as Hibs v Hearts is to Hibs because it's not a derby. You can't compare the fixtures.

And the fact that Aberdeen think of Rangers as their rivals does support what I'm saying. Every team loves and needs someone to hate and compete with. If we lost our most emotive and lucrative competition we'd suffer for it.

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2012, 12:51 PM
I remember the days i used to miss sugar in my tea, now if someone gives me a cuppa with it in, i nearly puke.

Franck Stanton
08-11-2012, 12:52 PM

Very, VERY good point, one which we should not forget.

Stevie Reid
08-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Why did you make a comparison then? The Aberdeen v Rangers fixture isn't as important to Aberdeen as Hibs v Hearts is to Hibs because it's not a derby. You can't compare the fixtures.

And the fact that Aberdeen think of Rangers as their rivals does support what I'm saying. Every team loves and needs someone to hate and compete with. If we lost our most emotive and lucrative competition we'd suffer for it.

You brought Aberdeen into the equation, stating that if they had a guaranteed near sell out twice every year they'd be better off - Rangers offered them the closest to that but Aberdeen decided that they'd rather go without the money that Rangers' away support provided and they have seen a surge in overall attendances since, as well as a chance of taking many more league points from Dundee than they would the Buns. In other words they seem to be much better off without a guaranteed near sell out twice every year.

The Aberdeen/Rangers rival has nothing to do with Aberdeen being desperate for a derby rival - they have plenty geographical rivalries in the North East - it is based in shear (oops) hatred between the two groups of supporters which had built up more and more over the last 30 odd years.

Incidentally, you clearly have a viewpoint that you are entitled to, and have stated it over and over again - but why are you trying to convince other people so much? I and many, many others will be delighted if they go under, and nothing will change that.

Franck Stanton
08-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Never ever thought I would see a hibby agree with the fat yambo who tried to kill us. Will never agree with the way he tried to go about it, however do understand what you are trying to say. As long as it is them that dissappear from the football scene I could live with that. All the sweeter knowing that they have done it to themselves.

P.S. For all you Jambos looking in _ Was winning the Scottish Cup twice worth it then ? Give me a well-run, financially secure Club over a quick - short time fix any time.

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 01:07 PM
You brought Aberdeen into the equation, stating that if they had a guaranteed near sell out twice every year they'd be better off - Rangers offered them the closest to that but Aberdeen decided that they'd rather go without the money that Rangers' away support provided and they have seen a surge in overall attendances since, as well as a chance of taking many more league points from Dundee than they would the Buns. In other words they seem to be much better off without a guaranteed near sell out twice every year.

Aberdeen are performing much better than they were last year. You can't say that their increase in attendence is exclusively because of the loss of Rangers. Hibs have already lost the income from a lack of Rangers games. We're lucky in that we've still got 2 highly attended games in Celtic and Hearts, whereas other teams only have one. I think this advantage should be valued.

Incidentally, you clearly have a viewpoint that you are entitled to, and have stated it over and over again - but why are you trying to convince other people so much? I and many, many others will be delighted if they go under, and nothing will change that.

I've already said why I think we're lucky to have the Edinburgh derby and how mundane the SPL would be for us without it and without a city rival. I don't want people to think that all Hibs fans would want to lose this out of blind hatred for Hearts.

Spudster
08-11-2012, 01:08 PM

Does that not financially equate to about £100k a year maximum in lost revenue? Not a huge sum IMO

clerriehibs
08-11-2012, 01:11 PM

You said we had a massive advantage. I ask how that massive advantage manifests itself because aberdeen are in a similar situation to us but in a city half the size with no city neighbour to compete with.

Franck Stanton
08-11-2012, 01:13 PM

Ha ha ha , best quote of the day, was thinking along similar lines myself, great post Bh :top marks

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 01:15 PM
You said we had a massive advantage. I ask how that massive advantage manifests itself because aberdeen are in a similar situation to us but in a city half the size with no city neighbour to compete with.

We're better off than Aberdeen. We've got higher attendences, a far better stadium, a training centre and probably a bigger budget. I'm not saying that this is because we've got a rivalry but you can't say Aberdeen have managed to do what we've done witout having a rival when we're quite some distance ahead of them.

euansdad
08-11-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't believe we would suffer in the long term and/or financially. I just think I'd miss the. From the point of the derby day occasion. We have scores to settle on the park with them to after a poor run against them

JeMeSouviens
08-11-2012, 01:20 PM
So if Hearts exist then we're resigned to mediocrity? What a piss-poor attitude that is.

How did you make that mental leap?

You said,

"a competitor in the SPL whose existence makes competing worthwhile. Do you really think our fans will be as excited to finish above Aberdeen or Dundee United? They wouldn't, and after the novelty wore off the SPL would become pretty mundane for us, as it already has for Celtc."

Sure, it would be fine being successful and beating them along the way but their "existence makes competing worthwhile"? I think not. A successful Hibs is the be all and end all for me and matters much, much more than any local rivalry. Imo, their non-existence would strengthen us considerably in the long term, and giving up the derby to get much nearer the point of actually competing for the league would be a price well worth paying.

Stevie Reid
08-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Aberdeen are performing much better than they were last year. You can't say that their increase in attendence is exclusively because of the loss of Rangers. Hibs have already lost the income from a lack of Rangers games. We're lucky in that we've still got 2 highly attended games in Celtic and Hearts, whereas other teams only have one. I think this advantage should be valued.

Aberdeen fans had a concerted campaign to get more supporters along to Pittodrie in the absence of Rangers. Their attendance against Ross County in their second game of the season (when they won their first point of the season) was 14,010. They have performed well since but they have undoubtedly benefitted from their supporters responding to no Rangers in the league.

Conversely, our first derby of the season saw an attendance of 12,887. Why? Because supporters were absolutely scunnered that our rivals had just inflicted the cup final defeat on us after cheating their way to the final.

I've already said why I think we're lucky to have the Edinburgh derby and how mundane the SPL would be for us without it and without a city rival. I don't want people to think that all Hibs fans would want to lose this out of blind hatred for Hearts.

Please don't be so insulting as to suggest that it is blind hatred. The disgusting institution that Hearts have become in the last few years has been clear for everyone to see.

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 01:25 PM
How did you make that mental leap?

Hibs don't need to be mediocre. We can thrive while Hearts exist.

Part/Time Supporter
08-11-2012, 01:29 PM

Not if they are spending massively beyond their means and consequently achieving a greater level of success.

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Please don't be so insulting as to suggest that it is blind hatred. The disgusting institution that Hearts have become in the last few years has been clear for everyone to see.

It is blind hatred. If they were liquidated I think you could probably say they've been punished for their misdemenours, don't you?

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Not if they are spending massively beyond their means and consequently achieving a greater level of success.

Well that's not going to happen either way!

Stevie Reid
08-11-2012, 01:31 PM
We're better off than Aberdeen. We've got higher attendences, a far better stadium, a training centre and probably a bigger budget. I'm not saying that this is because we've got a rivalry but you can't say Aberdeen have managed to do what we've done witout having a rival when we're quite some distance ahead of them.

Aberdeen's aggregate home attendances from 6 league games - 62553

Our aggregate from the same number is - 62678

Not much in it at all.

Stevie Reid
08-11-2012, 01:32 PM
It is blind hatred. If they were liquidated I think you could probably say they've been punished for their misdemenours, don't you?

Explain how it is blind.

euansdad
08-11-2012, 01:34 PM
It needs a guide dog?

Part/Time Supporter
08-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Well that's not going to happen either way!

It's been happening for almost 20 years, as Stevie pointed out earlier. I don't see any reason to believe that they'll stop now. Look, even in the summer they must have known that they would be perilously short of cash this season. Yet they go and sign a few new players and make very little effort to get rid of expensive players like Zaliukas or Webster.

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Explain how it is blind.

If the hatred was based on rational reasons then you'd be able to see that liquidation is the perfect punishment. Wanting them to cease to exist forever is more than is needed.

Stevie Reid
08-11-2012, 01:38 PM
If the hatred was based on rational reasons then you'd be able to see that liquidation is the perfect punishment. Wanting them to cease to exist forever is more than is needed.

Where did I say it wasn't? Liquidation means that they won't exist anymore, and yes, it is the perfect punishment.

Elephant Stone
08-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Where did I say it wasn't? Liquidation means that they won't exist anymore, and yes, it is the perfect punishment.

What I'd like is for them to be liquidated and come back as a newco, forever saddled with the fact that they died. I don't want them to cease to exist forever, as a lot of folk do on this thread. That's where the blind hatred is. Reckon I've been pretty clear.

JeMeSouviens
08-11-2012, 01:43 PM

It's not that long ago (well, doesn't seem it to me :wink:) that Aberdeen were consistently the best club in Scotland, won a barrowload of trophies and regularly competed against the best in Europe. Not bad for a team that was so badly missing a rival. :rolleyes:

JeMeSouviens
08-11-2012, 01:45 PM

You're still not getting it. Yes, we could possibly thrive while they exist but if it's more likely we'll thrive without them I'll take that all day long.

TheMentalHibees
08-11-2012, 01:46 PM
I ****ing hate Hearts, so I'm going to watch them slowly sink with my feet up and a bag of popcorn.

Stevie Reid
08-11-2012, 01:47 PM
What I'd like is for them to be liquidated and come back as a newco, forever saddled with the fact that they died. I don't want them to cease to exist forever, as a lot of folk do on this thread. That's where the blind hatred is. Reckon I've been pretty clear.

You've actually been quite pious and condescending at times to be honest.

My hatred of Heart of Midlothian is most certainly not blind (though it's blindingly obvious, not just from your age, that you weren't alive when Mercer attempted his hostile takeover) and whatever happens to them will be entirely of their own making - if they are liquidated, they cease to exist; if they come back as a New Co (it most certainly won't be like Rangers did), I can certainly live with it and I'll deal with them then.

However, if they never appear in any way, shape or form again, I will not be disappointed in any way.

The_Sauz
08-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Folks on this thread keep saying the lose off 2 home games against Hearts, would be a financial blow to Hibs :confused:
Hibs are only guaranteed 1 home game against them before the fixtures come out! Hibs could end up playing Hearts once before the split at ER, then fail (as usual) to get into the top six. Even then it comes down to the luck of the draw, as we have seen before, we could end up having 3 games at the PBS. :agree:

Ozyhibby
08-11-2012, 02:46 PM
The finances of keeping Hearts comes to an extra 7000 fans a season visiting Easter road.
How many fans have we lost due to their cheating this season alone? A lot more than 7000.
Anybody who thinks we won't be better off without a competitor in our small Market is mad.

Saorsa
08-11-2012, 02:51 PM
The only consequence I can think of personally is I might laugh so hard when they go pop is that my heid might fall off

http://smartercompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/laugh_head_off_m.jpg

joe breezy
08-11-2012, 03:04 PM
The finances of keeping Hearts comes to an extra 7000 fans a season visiting Easter road.
How many fans have we lost due to their cheating this season alone? A lot more than 7000.
Anybody who thinks we won't be better off without a competitor in our small Market is mad.

Indeed - If we had played a non-cheating team in the Scottish Cup Final we would have sold the same amount of tickets

--------
08-11-2012, 03:06 PM

Aye, but how much better if we had the city to ourselves.

Like Stevie I remember only too clearly the time when Mercer came so close to destroying Hibs entirely.

I remember exactly how I felt when the BBC News announced the takeover. The news item ended with, "It's understood that Hibs may have played their last game." My laddie was 10 years old, just coming in from school. He asked me what was wrong, and I had to tell him.

Now in spite of urban myths about this Jambo and that Jambo supporting the HoH campaign, I personally have no recollection of any reaction from any Hearts fan of my acquaintance other than gloating laughter and 'serves you right for letting a crook like David Duff buy the club'. No sympathy, and no support.

This may well be payback time. I so hope it is. And provided Hibs as a club are run sensibly and competently in the immediate future and beyond, sooner or later the grandkids of the presnt Jambo horde will either support Hibs or do what so many others do in Scotland - follow follow via the TV screen.

But right now we have the stadium and the infrastructure in place to take advantage of the demise of Heart of Midlothian if and when it happens. I so hope we get the opportunity.

But bottom line - they tried to kill Hibs off. This is payback.

I HOPE THEY DIE.

Baldy Foghorn
08-11-2012, 03:08 PM

Like Stevie I remember only too clearly the time when Mercer came so close to destroying Hibs entirely.

I remember exactly how I felt when the BBC News announced the takeover. The news item ended with, "It's understood that Hibs may have played their last game." My laddie was 10 years old, just coming in from school. He asked me what was wrong, and I had to tell him.

Now in spite of urban myths about this Jambo and that Jambo supporting the HoH campaign, I personally have no recollection of any reaction from any Hearts fan of my acquaintance other than gloating laughter and 'serves you right for letting a crook like David Duff buy the club'. No sympathy, and no support.

This may well be payback time. I so hope it is. And provided Hibs as a club are run sensibly and competently in the immediate future and beyond, sooner or later the grandkids of the presnt Jambo horde will either support Hibs or do what so many others do in Scotland - follow follow via the TV screen.

But right now we have the stadium and the infrastructure in place to take advantage of the demise of Heart of Midlothian if and when it happens. I so hope we get the opportunity.

I HOPE THEY DIE.

:top marks (you are the nastiest vicar in the land:wink:)

Liams
08-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Pfft i hate all this if hearts die then what will happen to hibs/no big games pish...
I pay for my ST to watch hibs play and couldnt care if we played celtic,hearts,madrid or peterhead.. I support hibs and only care to see them play...

Saorsa
08-11-2012, 03:14 PM

I HOPE THEY DIE.I winnae quote the whole post, this bit says it for me :top marks

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2012, 03:17 PM

:agree: He certainly is, but right on the button. I remember being sick to the pit of my stomach watching the telly that night.

And remember we did not have the internet to keep us informed, rumours were going off all over the shop about the demise of our club.

Like Doddie i dont remember much sympathy, a couple of token yams yes but in the main they were like a dog with two dicks.

Karma's a bitch. :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
08-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Pfft i hate all this if hearts die then what will happen to hibs/no big games pish...
I pay for my ST to watch hibs play and couldnt care if we played celtic,hearts,madrid or peterhead.. I support hibs and only care to see them play...

:top marks

Baldy Foghorn
08-11-2012, 03:19 PM
:agree: He certainly is, but right on the button. I remember being sick to the pit of my stomach watching the telly that night.

And remember we did not have the internet to keep us informed, rumours were going off all over the shop about the demise of our club.

Like Doddie i dont remember much sympathy, a couple of token yams yes but in the main they were like a dog with two dicks.

Karma's a bitch. :greengrin

Amen.......:wink:

--------
08-11-2012, 03:22 PM

I'm not a vicar. Vicars are Anglicans. I'm a Presbyterian minister. Scots, not English. :tsk tsk:

Sometimes people think being a Presbyterian makes me the way I am, but I like to think it's just me. :devil:

The year we were relegated under McLeish, I was at the General Assembly, and on the Monday morning at start of business this buffoon in a dog-collar got up on his hind legs and proposed that the General Assembly should offer its congratulations to Heart of Midlothian on winning the Scottish Cup - which they had, on the Saturday.

That was the day I realised finally and forever that there is NO LIMIT to the arrogance and stupidity of Hearts supporters.

I will forgive him the insult to myself, to Hibs and to the General Assembly when Hearts are finally DEAD.

Phil MaGlass
08-11-2012, 03:24 PM

I HOPE THEY DIE.

ABSOFU--INLUTELY,

I also remember the days of the take-over as for Hibs fans saying hertz fans supported us, BOLLOX, if anything it was a bare minimum, the rest of them were pi55in themselves laughing and lording it over us, now they have knowingly spent waaaay above their means have played the victim in a so called SFA/REFS are out to get us (celtic) way. Their fans have been complete diks for the past few years, so for me they can go to the wall and if I never hear of them again then ****ing brilliant, HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN. Oh and a big well done to Mystic Mercer, you were right we should only have one team in Edinburgh but they will be playing in green and at EASTER ROAD. SPIN OAN THAT.

Baldy Foghorn
08-11-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm not a vicar. Vicars are Anglicans. I'm a Presbyterian minister. Scots, not English. :tsk tsk:

Sometimes people think being a Presbyterian makes me the way I am, but I like to think it's just me. :devil:

The year we were relegated under McLeish, I was at the General Assembly, and on the Monday morning at start of business this buffoon in a dog-collar got up on his hind legs and proposed that the General Assembly should offer its congratulations to Heart of Midlothian on winning the Scottish Cup - which they had, on the Saturday.

That was the day I realised finally and forever that there is NO LIMIT to the arrogance and stupidity of Hearts supporters.

I will forgive him the insult to myself, to Hibs and to the General Assembly when Hearts are finally DEAD.

Sorry Minister......They really are the most stupidest and deluded of humans.....They only have themselves to blame....

Moon unit
08-11-2012, 05:53 PM

I hope we don't witness a trend from Hibees feeling sorry for the Yamsters! Already seen some pious pish on kickback, these clowns have boasted and roasted us at every opportunity! This situation is ALL THEIR OWN DOING!!!:agree:

euansdad
08-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Me to. They do t deserve any pity and remember their arrogance over the years

GoldenEagle
08-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I can only see Hearts going as a benefit longer term to Hibernian FC.
Once a new West European or British league evolves then Celtic, Rangers, Hibernian, Aberdeen and possibly a merged Dundee club will be in a prime position to be invited to participate.

Being based as the only club in an affluent and commercially sound city makes us ripe for investment as the top tier of Scottish football partakes in a regular Euro league.