PDA

View Full Version : The Day We Saw Off Mercer

Mikey
07-11-2012, 05:10 PM
I was thinking about how big a party there will be in Leith when the final nail gets hammered in over the road, and the mind went back to the day that Mercer's takeover attempt was foiled. A mate and I stopped decorating my flat in Porty and headed to Leith for a few pints. From memory the pubs were pretty busy and everyone was in good spirits :greengrin

I wonder if they'll be good enough to expire on a match day so it's as easy as possible for Hibs fans to get out and toast their demise?

Going back to '91, I picked this up while I was out and about the next day. It's one of my prized Hibs possessions!!........

WindyMiller
07-11-2012, 06:17 PM
I was thinking about how big a party there will be in Leith when the final nail gets hammered in over the road, and the mind went back to the day that Mercer's takeover attempt was foiled. A mate and I stopped decorating my flat in Porty and headed to Leith for a few pints. From memory the pubs were pretty busy and everyone was in good spirits :greengrin

I wonder if they'll be good enough to expire on a match day so it's as easy as possible for Hibs fans to get out and toast their demise?

Going back to '91, I picked this up while I was out and about the next day. It's one of my prized Hibs possessions!!........

I've still got the bear magnet (bottom left) now!

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2012, 06:25 PM

I still have the fridge.

Bostonhibby
07-11-2012, 06:28 PM

Aye Mikey, one of the top half dozen moments in my life and 2nd Proudest supporting Hibs, we mobilised and did something about it, it didn't matter that the money men were intially in control, you CAN sieze it back if you have the balls, looking over the road now its absolutely inconceivable that if we were in that position we would meekly be buying shares or worse still kidding ourselves on that it will all be fine because Mr Vlad owns a bank so we print our own money anyway. This is the end game and scarf twirling ain't gonnae solve it, nor is settling for the same as the Hun which is the best they will do but minus Tynecastle.

We'd be doing now what we did then. These fools won't do much more than fire off an angry letter to the council and expecting it all to take care of itself from there. They are not close enough to their club (as we were in 91 and always were) to save it even now - the last 10 years or so of "ownership" and arrogance have ensured that. When it happens I will use the same bottle to toast it as I opened when Whalearse failed and we survived.

Glory Glory..................

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Aye Mikey, one of the top half dozen moments in my life and 2nd Proudest supporting Hibs, we mobilised and did something about it, it didn't matter that the money men were intially in control, you CAN sieze it back if you have the balls, looking over the road now its absolutely inconceivable that if we were in that position we would meekly be buying shares or worse still kidding ourselves on that it will all be fine because Mr Vlad owns a bank so we print our own money anyway. This is the end game and scarf twirling ain't gonnae solve it, nor is settling for the same as the Hun which is the best they will do but minus Tynecastle.

We'd be doing now what we did then. These fools won't do much more than fire off an angry letter to the council and expecting it all to take care of itself from there. They are not close enough to their club (as we were in 91 and always were) to save it even now - the last 10 years or so of "ownership" and arrogance have ensured that. When it happens I will use the same bottle to toast it as I opened when Whalearse failed and we survived.

Glory Glory..................

Absolutely spot on, we have a history of taking to the street and DOING something about it when we are in trouble, that lot kicked a couple of hats around the car park, and hired a tent for the weekend.

Hell mend them.

Bostonhibby
07-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Absolutely spot on, we have a history of taking to the street and DOING something about it when we are in trouble, that lot kicked a couple of hats around the car park, and hired a tent for the weekend.

Hell mend them.

What kind of hats? maybe thats where we have been going wrong - all big clubs know what kind of hats to kick :greengrin

Mikey
07-11-2012, 06:41 PM
What kind of hats?

Bostonhibby
07-11-2012, 06:44 PM

Ah, remember it now:greengrin We even have a better standard of hat kicker than they do - what a munter.

gackohibs
07-11-2012, 07:59 PM
what was the hat kicking thing all about by the way? :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
08-11-2012, 01:22 PM
what was the hat kicking thing all about by the way? :rolleyes:

Its partof authentic Lithuanian culture apparently. If you are doing it properly what you do is dress yourself in trackie bottoms, a maroon nylon top (circa 86 is best) you twirl a scarf in one hand whilst simultaneously trying to stomp on a moving hat, what the picture doesn't really get across is that there is a 27 piece Lithuanian Dancing team doing the Sustas just off screen and it looks so much better fully supported. This guy got 1 out of 10 for general stamping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaHOahjieRg&feature=player_detailpage

JimBHibees
08-11-2012, 01:24 PM

So have I, it is called Yogi though the head is held on with blue tack. :greengrin

Saorsa
08-11-2012, 02:35 PM
I've still got the bear magnet (bottom left) now!so have I :greengrin but I also have a friend for him :greengrin:thumbsup:

http://s3d2.turboimagehost.com/t1/13888827_hibs_bears.jpg (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/13888827/hibs_bears.jpg.html)

euansdad
08-11-2012, 02:46 PM
How times have changed since the mercer days! Loving it

hibbymac
08-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Every time I see that thread title, I start humming that little song to myself, .... Didn't we have a wonderful time .... :greengrin