PDA

View Full Version : NHC Stuart Cosgrove blog

Granton Stanton
06-11-2012, 05:34 PM
excellent read, Daily Record/Jim Traynor & press in general well & truly skewered, Top bloke, huge brain.

http://scottishfootballmonitor.wordpress.com/

Pretty Boy
06-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Interesting reading.

Never really liked Cosgrove before if I'm honest but that's a very good piece indeed.

JimBHibees
06-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Interesting reading.

Never really liked Cosgrove before if I'm honest but that's a very good piece indeed.

Agree thought this was brilliant.

This was the main reason that Off the Ball branded itself as ‘petty and ill-informed.’ It was a self-mocking antidote to those journalists that could ‘exclusively reveal’ breaking stories from ‘impeccable sources,’ which usually meant they had heard it on the golf-course, from Walter, a man who needed no surname.

Wonder who he was talking about. :greengrin

cam75
06-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Decent read

camhibby1
06-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Decent read

Always like listening to Stuart Cosgrave - one of the best analytical journalists around and not afraid to speak his mind - great when someone hasn't an axe to grind. Can someone tell me why the BBC has him on Traynor's programme on Saturday evenings? He brings a good balance and I suspect the Beeb think Traynor (whom I can't stand) is damaged goods following the misguided tripe he spouted during the summer.

VickMackie
06-11-2012, 06:30 PM
50%+ of St Johnston fans have internet! :tee hee:

Good read. Sums up what we've all suspected, or known, for a long time. I wouldn't like to be the cringeworthy journo who was dancing around the office at the party invite.

It just shows how great the internet is for transparency. Rangers newco would have stayed in the SPL 10/15 years ago if the same happened at that point. No doubt about it.

ScottB
06-11-2012, 06:43 PM
He was the honorary graduate when I graduated back in 2006, always a good listen / read.

joe breezy
06-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Stuart Cosgrove is a top man...I sent him some writing once and he replied with some very inspirational stuff...

Clued up on music, the media and life, there's not much I don't like about him, other than when he had a go at Tony Wilson for New Order having a 'fascist' name

Hibbyradge
06-11-2012, 06:45 PM
This is an interesting wee video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eUeL3n7fDs&feature=player_embedded

ronaldo7
06-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Armageddon shat-it and didn’t turn up

:faf:

Saorsa
06-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Armageddon shat-it and didn’t turn up

:faf::greengrin

but instead of just doing nothing it should have went efter doncaster & regan.

Brizo
06-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Good stuff. Cosgrove and his buddy Jim Spence along with Richard Gordon are the only thing that keeps me listening to Radio Scotland fitba coverage. If we were left with the inane inarticulate drivel spouted by the likes of Chick and Doddsy id be reaching for the odff button.

I particularly like the way Cosgrove deals with Traynor, a bit like a teacher trying to explain basic stuff to the class daftie who isnt quite daft enough for the remedial class.

SurferRosa
06-11-2012, 07:12 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. :top marks

Dan Sarf
06-11-2012, 07:27 PM
:top marks

Seveno
06-11-2012, 07:48 PM
As I understand it, scientific opinion is still of the view that the dinosaurs disappeared over a very short period, possibly due to a single cataclysmic event.

As they say, history often has a habit of repeating itself.

ancienthibby
06-11-2012, 07:48 PM
excellent read, Daily Record/Jim Traynor & press in general well & truly skewered, Top bloke, huge brain.

Cosgrove is a pseudo-intellectual in love with the sound of his own voice!

Remember the old adage about defining a person bythe company he keeps?

Cosgrove's company is Tam Cowan, Jim Traynor and John Beattie (recognising that he also does work in a different arena called Channel 4)

Cowan is a complete choob also in love with himself;

Traynor is a journalistic thug who treats so-called co-hosts (just how many co-hosts has this bully had?) as nobodies to be beaten up - just listen to last Saturday's 'Call Traynor' to learn how he just ignored and ignored every interruption by Cosgrove.

Then there's the former rugby player, now made into a news programme host, whom Cosgrove treats with utter disdain and intellectual snobbery, as in 'I'm Cosgrove and my views hold over anyone else's'

Mediocre bloke; huge ego!

Kato
06-11-2012, 08:03 PM

Quality.

By the 1990s onwards, football journalism had ritualised and festered around the inner sanctums at Ibrox. This was an era where relevance meant being invited to a ‘presser’ at Murray Park, having Ally’s mobile or playing golf with ‘Juke Box,’ ‘Durranty’ or ‘Smudger’. Many journalists, showing a compliant lack of self-awareness, would use these nicknames as if conveyed closeness, familiarity or friendship. It is desperately sad that careers have been built on such paltry notions of access and such demeaning obsequiousness.

Granton Stanton
06-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Cosgrove's company is Tam Cowan, Jim Traynor and John Beattie (recognising that he also does work in a different arena called Channel 4)

Traynor is a journalistic thug who treats so-called co-hosts (just how many co-hosts has this bully had?) as nobodies to be beaten up - just listen to last Saturday's 'Call Traynor' to learn how he just ignored and ignored every interruption by Cosgrove.

Then there's the former rugby player, now made into a news programme host, whom Cosgrove treats with utter disdain and intellectual snobbery, as in 'I'm Cosgrove and my views hold over anyone else's'

thanks for the comments but, nah, I'll stick with mine. I wouldn't like to be defined by the people I work with. Or share forums with either come to think of it.

Twa Cairpets
06-11-2012, 08:27 PM

You've just defined the phrase "inverse snobbery".
Also, no matter you opinion of the man, you've just attacked him rather than what he's written. Did you even read the piece, or did you just assume your prejudices would be confirmed?

Baader
06-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Cosgrove's alright. Sometimes looks like he tries a bit too hard to go against the grain - he is amongst other things a TV exec and a former Daily Record columnist!

Like Brizo - much rather listen to his thoughts on the game than 'sensational' idiotic clowns like 'Chic' Young, 'Doddsy' Dodds and 'Biscuit' Preston. All three are an embarrassment. The latter two struggle to form a grammatically correct sentence yet work in broadcast and the last one is a total ****...

IWasThere2016
06-11-2012, 08:32 PM

I'm wi Tam Cowan this Friday - I'll give him your best. Trust you've met and/or know him?

Jonnyboy
06-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Cosgrove's alright. Sometimes looks like he tries a bit too hard to go against the grain - he is amongst other things a TV exec and a former Daily Record columnist!

Like Brizo - much rather listen to his thoughts on the game than 'sensational' idiotic clowns like 'Chic' Young, 'Doddsy' Dodds and 'Biscuit' Preston. All three are an embarrassment. The latter two struggle to form a grammatically correct sentence yet work in broadcast and the last one is a total ****...

Dinnae forget Derek "every time I've saw them" Ferguson :agree:

Baader
06-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Dinnae forget Derek "every time I've saw them" Ferguson :agree:

Haha! Another one. Must confess, I also remember Murdo on air mentioning - more than once - a "Catch 23 situation" (but I like Murdo so couldnae add him to the list there...!) :wink:

Mr White
06-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Listened to off the ball at the weekend and found cosgrove a bit irritating but that's a good article. Liked this bit:
unless you save a club that has crashed leaving up to £134m in debt, the game is financially doomed. You would struggle to encounter this bizarre logic in any other walk of life. Unless Rick Astley brings out a new album music will die. That is what they once argued and many still do. That is how desperately illogical the leadership in Scottish football had become.

Hibernia Na Eir
06-11-2012, 09:00 PM

every word, spot on.

PatHead
06-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Is a good article however he should also have gone after Doncaster, Regan and co. who helped to spin the line the Murray press were only too happy to follow. The biggest problem in OUR sport is that these Donkeys are still running our game. FFS they took weeks then couldn't even agree to sack someone who had a worse win record than Calderwood and his wins came against the international equivalent of 3rd division teams like East Stirling and Rangers.

iwasthere1972
06-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Too much to read and a bit long winded. I'm afraid I gave up after two paragraphs.

TrinityHibs
06-11-2012, 09:39 PM

I quite like him.

As an aside as the man who through his work at Channel 4 was associated with Ellie Simmonds, David Weir, Dani Brown, Jonnie Peacock, Oscar Pistorius, Alex Zanardi and dozens more truly inspirational athletes it seems wrong to highlight the dafties. To be fair I like John Beattie so its just Cowan who is okayish and Traynor who isnt. I think its fair to say that most of us know somebody we would rather not be associated with.

LeighLoyal
06-11-2012, 09:48 PM
These hun tub thumpers in Glasgow are now proven clowns. All they have done is damage their tainted product beyond repair and speeded up their irrelevance and extinction.

Alex Trager
06-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Always like listening to Stuart Cosgrave - one of the best analytical journalists around and not afraid to speak his mind - great when someone hasn't an axe to grind. Can someone tell me why the BBC has him on Traynor's programme on Saturday evenings? He brings a good balance and I suspect the Beeb think Traynor (whom I can't stand) is damaged goods following the misguided tripe he spouted during the summer.

What was he saying during the summer

joe breezy
06-11-2012, 10:28 PM

Stuart Cosgrove is the Head of Diversity at Channel 4 - do you honestly think he spends much time with Tam Cowan and Jim Traynor?

blackpoolhibs
06-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Cosgrove has at least asked some of the important questions, and also pulled up traynor a number of times when he's talking complete pish. We need more like him in my opinion.

heretoday
06-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Cosgrove is a clever chap and quite a powerful figure in the media north and south of the border.

He tends to "dumb down" on a Saturday lunchtime which is a bit annoying but I suppose he's trying to be all things to all men.

IWasThere2016
06-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Cosgrove is a clever chap and quite a powerful figure in the media north and south of the border.

He tends to "dumb down" on a Saturday lunchtime which is a bit annoying but I suppose he's trying to be all things to all men.

He admitted - on air - on Saturday that he has multiple 'personas and accents' when on Ch4 or the Beeb depending on context/environment etc. So, sure he'd agree he does 'dumb down' a bit on the wireless on a Saturday.

Topographic Hibby
06-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Cosgove and Cowan might be a bit full of themselves, but at least they offer a bit of balance and fresh air to the debate that old-school clownish-oaf bullies like Traynor, Chico, Preston & Dodds spout forth over our airwaves. Remember that the BBC belongs to you and me and I would rather that Cosgrove popped-up on the Beeb for a bit of comment, balance and perspective on Scottish football.

As someone else has mentioned, a BBC Scotland with Cosgrove employed FT rattling cages on a number of fronts would be a very healthy thing.

Good blog SC. More please.

cabbageandribs1875
06-11-2012, 10:55 PM
What was he saying during the summer

telling anyone that would listen that THE rangers arra peeple and we wouldn't survive without them(just like the daily rangers said), with his "airdrie is my team'' mask finally slipping right down, over his clinically obese stomach(s) to expose his REAL one true love....sevco

cabbageandribs1875
06-11-2012, 10:58 PM
As someone else has mentioned, a BBC Scotland with Cosgrove employed FT rattling cages on a number of fronts would be a very healthy thing.

Good blog SC. More please.

along with jim spence, who's had a couple of 'on-air' heated discussions with the bun-loving traynor and chick dung

Bishop Hibee
06-11-2012, 11:26 PM

This is petty and ill-informed :wink:

I still enjoy "Off the Ball" although it can sound a bit stale these days. It was unmissable when it first started. AS for Cosgrove and Cowan, I think they come across quite well and I'd prefer a pint with them than the ex-player "pundits" who bag their £100 from the Beeb for spouting cliches on the game they are at.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Mustard mitt that I like Cosgrove. Probably because irrespective of what he has done in his professional life you can tell he loves his football and his connection to his team is genuine. Celebrity footie fans that pop up here and there because "soccer" is in vogue, are a real pain, but he isn't one of them. The issue with Traynor is a different discussion. He is essentially a journalist who should have a job description to report the story. I think that he has a tendency to report his own opinion as fact.

KWJ
07-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Good stuff. Cosgrove and his buddy Jim Spence along with Richard Gordon are the only thing that keeps me listening to Radio Scotland fitba coverage. If we were left with the inane inarticulate drivel spouted by the likes of Chick and Doddsy id be reaching for the odff button.

I particularly like the way Cosgrove deals with Traynor, a bit like a teacher trying to explain basic stuff to the class daftie who isnt quite daft enough for the remedial class.

This. Unfortunately these 3 are on far too seldom.

Alex Trager
07-11-2012, 10:22 AM
telling anyone that would listen that THE rangers arra peeple and we wouldn't survive without them(just like the daily rangers said), with his "airdrie is my team'' mask finally slipping right down, over his clinically obese stomach(s) to expose his REAL one true love....sevco

I see. I suppose that makes sense. And why do people say they are bullies

greenlex
07-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Defining a person by the company they keep is all good and well. They should not be defined by the people they work with.

Shaggy
07-11-2012, 01:01 PM
If the figures Cosgrove quotes are accurate and projections right...
that hibs are now the second biggest football financial platform and Hearts are in as serious irreversible trouble as he suggests....

I will have take back my Petrie slander..:not worth
and dance on Hearts inevitable grave :na na:

it certainly made my day.
:greengrin

superfurryhibby
07-11-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm all for Cosgrove views. I also like Off the Ball and think him and Tam Cowan do a good job compared to the kind of nonsense often found on football oriented commercial radio.

I also liked Cosgrove's Hampden Babylon book.

heretoday
07-11-2012, 01:15 PM
He admitted - on air - on Saturday that he has multiple 'personas and accents' when on Ch4 or the Beeb depending on context/environment etc. So, sure he'd agree he does 'dumb down' a bit on the wireless on a Saturday.

That's ok because at least his show takes the mick out of Scottish football which is badly needed. I do think the banter tends towards the sexist and homophobic at times which he wouldn't get away with in his other "guises".

I must be getting old!

superfurryhibby
07-11-2012, 01:24 PM
That's ok because at least his show takes the mick out of Scottish football which is badly needed. I do think the banter tends towards the sexist and homophobic at times which he wouldn't get away with in his other "guises".

I must be getting old!

Was Cosgrove not once portrayed as being homosexual in the media? I haven't really found any overt sexism /homophobia on the show. They do seem quite fixed on Tommy Ring though.

heretoday
07-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Was Cosgrove not once portrayed as being homosexual in the media? I haven't really found any overt sexism /homophobia on the show. They do seem quite fixed on Tommy Ring though.

I think they try to recreate the atmosphere of a pub with a group of bears bantering away.

I haven't been in a pub like that since I stayed in Abbeyhill. Corstorphine pubs are like airport departure lounges.

s.a.m
07-11-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm all for Cosgrove views. I also like Off the Ball and think him and Tam Cowan do a good job compared to the kind of nonsense often found on football oriented commercial radio.

I also liked Cosgrove's Hampden Babylon book.

So did I - I'm away to hunt out my copy and have a look at it !

ancienthibby
07-11-2012, 06:51 PM
You've just defined the phrase "inverse snobbery".
Also, no matter you opinion of the man, you've just attacked him rather than what he's written. Did you even read the piece, or did you just assume your prejudices would be confirmed?

Get off your high horse TC!!

I would reckon that I have hundreds of hours of listening to Cosgrove and Cowan on Radio Scotland - and, many people might not realise this - but beyond footie programmes.

Cosgrove appears every week on Thursday lunchtime on the RS news programme and if you wanted to hunt through these hours and hours of broadcasts my view (not prejudice) would be validated.

And if you listened to all these BBC tapes, you would find that Cowan's forte is reducing everything to smut.

Open your ears.

euansdad
07-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Great article in my opinion and sheds light on a few things, particularly the lap dog approach to David Murray which still takes place today. All the pinning of the blame on Craig white doesn't ring true. Ok, he may have been partly to blame but the rot set in long before he came in for his short period at the Huns, it came during the
Murray era. Unless someone can tell me differently, yet to see media sources like the daily ranger question what happened in the Murray era

lobster
07-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Cosgrove is clearly a very intelligent guy who provides some much welcome thoughtful critique of scottish foootball IMO but hasnt the beast of armageddon arrived at Tynecastle today which tends to question the point of the piece - the bit about financial meltdown at least. This may have predated the departure of Rangers but I think he should maybe reserve judgement on this issue until the end of the season. We dont really know the financial impact of the Rangers debacle yet.
And just speak normally mate. No need to go all professional working class on us when you feel the need. Its toe-curling.

matty_f
07-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Too much to read and a bit long winded. I'm afraid I gave up after two paragraphs.

I would steer clear of books if I were you. :agree:

Anyways, I thought it was an excellent piece.

Phil D. Rolls
07-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Cosgrove is clearly a very intelligent guy who provides some much welcome thoughtful critique of scottish foootball IMO but hasnt the beast of armageddon arrived at Tynecastle today which tends to question the point of the piece - the bit about financial meltdown at least. This may have predated the departure of Rangers but I think he should maybe reserve judgement on this issue until the end of the season. We dont really know the financial impact of the Rangers debacle yet.
And just speak normally mate. No need to go all professional working class on us when you feel the need. Its toe-curling.

So is inverted snobbery.

hughio
07-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Cripes how cringeworthily Scottish to slag the guy who has written a great piece of informed passionate journalism, invented a truly funny and entertaining show and who very recently displayed the wonderful good sense and knowledge to identify the Hibs team of the early seventies as one of the best ever entertaining sides he has seen.:not worth

lapsedhibee
07-11-2012, 07:54 PM

No, it hasn't. The yams' trouble is nothing to do with the Huns being out of the SPL. It was the loss of the huns that was going to send other clubs under - that was the predicted Armageddon. That isn't what's happened at the PBS - it's simply that Mr Vlad has pulled the plug.

iwasthere1972
07-11-2012, 08:09 PM
I would steer clear of books if I were you. :agree:

Anyways, I thought it was an excellent piece.

Never read a book since I was at school when my favourite books were The Famous Five by Enid Blyton. Quite apt.

euansdad
07-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Think he has a point. Attendances are on the up and while we know the Scottish game is in a state, the doomsday scenario mentioned by the journal when the huns went under has not happened. What has happened to jumbos is a situation of their own making

lobster
07-11-2012, 08:39 PM
So is inverted snobbery.

As is stupidity

lobster
07-11-2012, 08:45 PM
No, it hasn't. The yams' trouble is nothing to do with the Huns being out of the SPL. It was the loss of the huns that was going to send other clubs under - that was the predicted Armageddon. That isn't what's happened at the PBS - it's simply that Mr Vlad has pulled the plug.

Not directly perhaps but we still don't know the impact of Rangers going bust. Yet. Clearly Hearts have been operating precariously for some time and the slightest nudge might have done it.