PDA

View Full Version : NHC Barnet defender David Stephens is attracting interest from a number of clubs

H18sry
06-11-2012, 02:37 PM
There must be a player in there somewhere :wink:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11770/8228902/Barnet-defender-David-Stephens-is-attracting-interest-from-a-number-of-clubs

Saorsa
06-11-2012, 02:41 PM
There must be a player in there somewhere :wink:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11770/8228902/Barnet-defender-David-Stephens-is-attracting-interest-from-a-number-of-clubsBarnet bottom of D2 with -13 goals :hmmm:

Must be somebody else's fault :greengrin

Green Man
06-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Barnet bottom of D2 with -13 goals :hmmm:

Must be somebody else's fault :greengrin

Yeah, Graham Stack's :greengrin

hfc rd
06-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Must be Edgar Davids touting his name about and saying to these clubs he is very similar to his former Dutch teammate Jaap Stam.

Teuchter Hibbie
06-11-2012, 03:01 PM
One of the poorest players I have ever seen at ER along with O'Hanlon. Certainly wouldn't describe him as "no-nonsense"! :confused:

Bostonhibby
06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
presuming one of them must be a seven iron, something must have sparked him into life :wink:

frazeHFC
06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
An ex Hibs player moving on and doing well? No surprise! :greengrin

I always thought he could turn into a good player, but countless mistakes he made just wasn't good enough to keep.

CallumLaidlaw
06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Stephens has all the attributes to be a cracking centre half. Thought he was gonna be the biz when he first signed. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up doing quite well. We didn't have time to wait for him to develop tho.

LancashireHibby
06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Certainly wouldn't describe him as "no-nonsense"! :confused:
That generally describes a clogger with no hope of being able to pass a ball. Stephens is even worse than that, he thinks he can pass it, but fails miserably.

brog
06-11-2012, 03:24 PM
He fits the profile of players we should be signing but unfortunately he didn't deliver. The home game vs St J last season & at Arabs first game of this season he was out of his depth. Good luck to him but I suspect he's now close to his correct level.

truehibernian
06-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Stephens has all the attributes to be a cracking centre half. Thought he was gonna be the biz when he first signed. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up doing quite well. We didn't have time to wait for him to develop tho.

Totally respect everyone has an opinion mate, but what attributes other than height ? Just keen to know what you saw in him that I and others certainly didn't.

He is 6ft 5, yet never ever attacked balls both defensively or at set pieces - his goal ratio tells you that (and clean sheets kept). I can only remember David scoring in a pre-season friendly and that was with his feet (stand corrected if I'm wrong).

His ability to switch off was, for a pro footballer, frightening and unacceptable. Any player who ran at him (Chris Maguire, Mackay-Stevens, Templeton, etc) he allowed to run into space without closing down - stood off continually and allowed them acres to penetrate.

He wasn't vocal in the slightest, admittedly he was in teams short of confidence (and effort) - but he rarely busted a gut to get a challenge in.

I wish every player to don the green and white well when they leave Easter Road - but he in particular had me laughing apples when I saw Pat was getting rid of him. One of the poorest central defenders I have witnessed in the SPL and one who in my humble opinion, has risen through the ranks due to his considerable build and physique - found out at SPL level and he will be found out down there too in my opinion.

I actually find myself getting angry whilst typing when I think about performances against Aberdeen and St J in particular - will need to count to 10 and take my medication......and breathe.....................

.Sean.
06-11-2012, 04:19 PM
He's rubbish. The Titanic turned quicker.

IWasThere2016
06-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Poor player IMHO.

Pretty Boy
06-11-2012, 04:46 PM
He's rubbish. The Titanic turned quicker.

This.

Found his level, which is probably why he looks ok.

3pm
06-11-2012, 05:51 PM
When I read the thread title, I assumed it was a driver or 3-iron. I was tempted a few times.

VickMackie
06-11-2012, 05:59 PM
He fits the profile of players we should be signing but unfortunately he didn't deliver. The home game vs St J last season & at Arabs first game of this season he was out of his depth. Good luck to him but I suspect he's now close to his correct level.

:agree:

Wales u19 CH iirc.

CRAZYHIBBY
06-11-2012, 06:10 PM
He reminds me of palsson ....looked promising early on then just faded away

jdships
06-11-2012, 06:16 PM

That was my thought when he signed and after speaking with a couple of contacts at Norwich .
They felt he needed to be paired with an experienced C/H for a year or so to bring out the potential he appeared to have .
He had an excellent pedigree - schools, u/17, u/19, u/21 .
Agree with what you say about 'time' , we were in a quick fix situation which didn't help the lad at all

Good luck to him :thumbsup:

Liams
06-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Did he ever play along side mcpake? Considering the development of hanlon confidence alongside him has improved and without doubt is always one of the first names on the teamsheet, wonder how DS would of developed!?

jdships
06-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Did he ever play along side mcpake? Considering the development of hanlon confidence alongside him has improved and without doubt is always one of the first names on the teamsheet, wonder how DS would of developed!?

Unfortunately we will never know

Hainan Hibs
06-11-2012, 06:51 PM
The type of Big Jessie player that we needed shot of if we were to turn the club around.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-11-2012, 07:08 PM
His performance up in Perth when Fenlon took over was one of the worst defending performances I've ever witnessed!

Scouse Hibee
06-11-2012, 07:14 PM
He appeared to have the attributes required to be succesful at something but I can't for the life of me think what it might be. I hope he proves me wrong and turns out to be a success in basketball.

Jonnyboy
06-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Brought here by an erse but remember he is/was just a young laddie and he didn't ask to be out of his depth. Some of the comments about him are pretty poor IMO. Didn't work out for him here but I hope he progresses elsewhere

Baldy Foghorn
06-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Brought here by an erse but remember he is/was just a young laddie and he didn't ask to be out of his depth. Some of the comments about him are pretty poor IMO. Didn't work out foor him here but I hope he progresses elsewhere

Pretty much how I see it too. Good luck to the big guy.....

iwasthere1972
06-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Brought here by an erse but remember he is/was just a young laddie and he didn't ask to be out of his depth. Some of the comments about him are pretty poor IMO. Didn't work out for him here but I hope he progresses elsewhere

jdships
06-11-2012, 10:18 PM

I liked what I saw and thought he would make it
That is only my opinion and hope it works out for the lad :flag:

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Isn't this a bit of a non story? If you are playing for the basement team [ more or less] in the basement league, then technically you can can have teams in four leagues looking at you to make this story factual. Within the scope of London football, AFC Wimbledon and Dagenham and Redbridge would constitute a number of clubs.

scoopyboy
07-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Sell on fee negotiated by Rodders?

jdships
07-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Isn't this a bit of a non story? If you are playing for the basement team [ more or less] in the basement league, then technically you can can have teams in four leagues looking at you to make this story factual. Within the scope of London football, AFC Wimbledon and Dagenham and Redbridge would constitute a number of clubs.

Are you saying a little thread about an ex Hibby is a 'non story' ?
Surely these threads are what forums are all about - club chat
If you are you might as well delete probably a third of all threads on here ( Riorden get's his 'fair' share )

:greengrin:wink:

Beefster
07-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Stephens was a better player than he is given credit for on here. I recall Hanlon looking just as bad playing alongside Stephens and O'Hanlon as Stephens did alongside Hanlon and O'Hanlon. I suspect that Stephens would have improved hugely by playing alongside McPake (just like Hanlon has).

If he had come through the ranks, he'd have received much more patience from the support.

Stevie Reid
07-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Stephens was a better player than he is given credit for on here. I recall Hanlon looking just as bad playing alongside Stephens and O'Hanlon as Stephens did alongside Hanlon and O'Hanlon. I suspect that Stephens would have improved hugely by playing alongside McPake (just like Hanlon has).

If he had come through the ranks, he'd have received much more patience from the support.

The issue we had with Stephens and McPake was that neither was naturally left sided - McPake looked poor at LCB against Dundee Utd on the first day of the season, and Stephens looked as bad as ever.

The support had no faith in him when he played, and as others have said, we didn't have time to develop him.

LeighLoyal
07-11-2012, 11:41 AM
How bad must league 2 be?

jdships
07-11-2012, 02:08 PM

I still think the jury is out as far as McPake being a 'top class C/B ' is concerned
Then as always that is just one persons opinion :greengrin:wink:

drumatic44
07-11-2012, 02:21 PM

I still think the jury is out as far as McPake being a 'top class C/B ' is concerned
Then as always that is just one persons opinion :greengrin:wink:

Always hoped he'd do well with us ,but for me he just lacks that aggressive edge required to be a good defender.
Spoke recently with the Leyton Orient coach (bottom half of League 1) who played them in the cup a couple months ago, he reckoned League 2 was about his level.

drumatic44
07-11-2012, 03:12 PM
BTW. the Orient coach ,really nice guy, played alongside PAT Fenlon in the Irish Under 21's, really liked him as a player and as a guy, he was really glad to hear he'd turned things around at ER.

allezsauzee
07-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Stephens is not good enough for Hibs. He might well look good at the level he is playing at but I'd like to think we're aiming higher than that. Are we going to have these 'Clayton Donaldson' style threads every time Stephens has something written about him?

tamig
07-11-2012, 06:25 PM
That was my thought when he signed and after speaking with a couple of contacts at Norwich .
They felt he needed to be paired with an experienced C/H for a year or so to bring out the potential he appeared to have .
He had an excellent pedigree - schools, u/17, u/19, u/21 .
Agree with what you say about 'time' , we were in a quick fix situation which didn't help the lad at all

Good luck to him :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more. Good luck to the big guy.

jdships
07-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Stephens is not good enough for Hibs. He might well look good at the level he is playing at but I'd like to think we're aiming higher than that. Are we going to have these 'Clayton Donaldson' style threads every time Stephens has something written about him?

Exactly how I feel re threads about Riorden
However surely it is OK to chat about ex Hibbees - something that helps to make forums like this interesting . :greengrin:wink: