PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst referee decision you've seen at Easter Road?

iwasthere1972
04-11-2012, 04:01 PM
As it says on the tin.

Fill yer boots.

Off the bar
04-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Hugh Dallas.

jodjam
04-11-2012, 04:17 PM
There's been so many but one that always sticks in my craw was against the Huns. Ulrik Laursen was trying to get himself back up from the goal line when the shot hit his arm. Crazy decision as how else was he gonna get up. IIRC correctly Mcmanus then got sent off for arguing the decision.

Honourable mention for a Neil Berry assault on Paul Wright which only got a yellow. The ref will never have an easier red card to dish out in his life and got it wrong.

lord bunberry
04-11-2012, 04:21 PM
I remember Ian brines refereeing a league cup tie against morton a few years ago and one of their players ran head first into the hibs defender i can't remember who it was now but brines gave them the free kick which they scored from if i remember correctly the hibs player ended up with concussion

Hibi
04-11-2012, 04:22 PM
There's been so many but one that always sticks in my craw was against the Huns. Ulrik Laursen was trying to get himself back up from the goal line when the shot hit his arm. Crazy decision as how else was he gonna get up. IIRC correctly Mcmanus then got sent off for arguing the decision.

Honourable mention for a Neil Berry assault on Paul Wright which only got a yellow. The ref will never have an easier red card to dish out in his life and got it wrong.

That game was ridiculous, Laursen had actually been fouled as well and that was why he was on the ground. We really should have came out and slated the ref for that but we just accepted it, unbelievable...I was and still am seething.

In another v the team that is no longer I remember boozy getting sent off for a shoulder charge with Boyd which I couldn't believe either

Mon Dieu4
04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Richmond booking the same player twice and not sending him off, we won with a late goal but I've never heard booing like i did that day

jodjam
04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I remember Ian brines refereeing a league cup tie against morton a few years ago and one of their players ran head first into the hibs defender i can't remember who it was now but brines gave them the free kick which they scored from if i remember correctly the hibs player ended up with concussion

Aye i mind that. Grof was at fault for the resulting free-kick but still a shocking decision.

matty_f
04-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Numerous refs not finding a reason to send Zibbi off in derbies.

Neil Lennon, on a booking already, squaring up to Scott Brown, and the ref booked brown and did nowt to Lennon.

Alan Freeland game v Falkirk (every decision).

hfc rd
04-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Really hard to choose one. There has been loads and loads of poor decisions at ER by the pathetic SFA referees. One of them I remember was that fud Thomson sending Steven Fletcher off in the Scottish cup derby against the yams that basically changed the game.

Hibercelona
04-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Would that be the game we lost 3-2?

Horrible refereeing performance! :grr:

He also gave Morton a penalty for a hand ball that resulted from another freekick that never was. It struck the arm of a Hibs player, but his arms were in by his side! :grr:

Bristolhibby
04-11-2012, 04:32 PM
That Laursen one is my definition of mental refereeing.

Took my English mate to that game, he was astounded by the ineptitude.

J

wookie70
04-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Long time ago but Ranger being awarded a penalty at ER when John MacDonald did a dive that would put some of the antics of modern day players to shame. It was unusual back then for someone to be so blatant but they got the pen and won the match. Never seen so much broken glass in the Leith area as every one of their buses' windows got tanned in.

The Neil Berry one was a good shout too but for comedic value what about Joe T getting sent off against Man Utd. Think it may have been Gordon Rae's testemonial but can't remember. Surely the ref could have told Hibs to make a substitution. Ref proving once again that common sense, perspective and context are drummed out of you in referee school. Mind you it was a shocker from Joe T

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2012, 04:33 PM

I think the Laursen one is easily the worst, IIRC he was lying on the ground and Albertz drilled the ball at his arm.

Second place goes to the time when Arthur Duncan was lying unconscious on the ground and was deemed to have played the opponents onside.

In fairness though, we have to give a mention to our "goal" against Dunfermline last season.

Hibercelona
04-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Can't remember which referee it was, but I recall Scott Brown being booked after that wee tadger Lennon was trying to square up to him.

LaMotta
04-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Mickey Weir getting sent off against Anderlecht down at the corner of the east terracing and the cooshed....horrendous decision, the Anderlecht boy went down like he'd been shot in the bellend

lord bunberry
04-11-2012, 04:40 PM

He also gave Morton a penalty for a hand ball that resulted from another freekick that never was. It struck the arm of a Hibs player, but his arms were in by his side! :grr:

It was that game brines had an absolute shocker that night

LaMotta
04-11-2012, 04:42 PM

It was that game brines had an absolute shocker that night

Final Score was 4-3 in that game:cb

O'Rourke3
04-11-2012, 04:42 PM

Didn't even get a yellow was how I remembered it, but being apoplectic at the time may have missed the card.

There have been a few Gareth Evens getting upended by Henry Smith in derbys that were inexplicably not given. Was going to quote Boyd on Zemamma but that was away...

No definitely Berry on Wright.

hfc rd
04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
I remember that Morton game a lot. The decisions that night were absolute disgraceful.

Hibercelona
04-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Final Score was 4-3 in that game:cb

Right enough mate. :aok:

Still an awful memory though.

LaMotta
04-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Right enough mate. :aok:

Still an awful memory though.

:agree: aye bad memories two nil down back to three two up in Extra Time, then the two late goals, with Grof and Brines Magnificent for Morton.

YehButNoBut
04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Hanlon's goal that was not one against Dunfermline last May, nowhere near over the line.

Not complaining mind you. :greengrin

loanheadhibby
04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
As it says on the tin.

Fill yer boots.

Louis thow sending off any Watson and beastie mccluskey v Dundee utd in a floodlight game. Still raging about it. And snelders only getting booked for bringing down Evans to win a league cup tie!

loanheadhibby
04-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Long time ago but Ranger being awarded a penalty at ER when John MacDonald did a dive that would put some of the antics of modern day players to shame. It was unusual back then for someone to be so blatant but they got the pen and won the match. Never seen so much broken glass in the Leith area as every one of their buses' windows got tanned in.

The Neil Berry one was a good shout too but for comedic value what about Joe T getting sent off against Man Utd. Think it may have been Gordon Rae's testemonial but can't remember. Surely the ref could have told Hibs to make a substitution. Ref proving once again that common sense, perspective and context are drummed out of you in referee school. Mind you it was a shocker from Joe T

i was a wee laddie at the John McDonald game! An outrageous dive and I think Eric schaedlur gave him a doing in the tunnel after the game?

PeeJay
04-11-2012, 04:56 PM

I remember that too - it was Hoggie, but at the time I thought the ref called it right against him, I felt Hoggie ran into him not the other way round, the Morton guy was first up into the air, although he never got the ball (I felt because Hoggie got him...) it could very well have gone the other way though, I guess...

- Hoggie had a sore back perhaps but I don't think he was concussed -

IMO the Shiels incident was a penalty because his hands were above his head and they shouldn't be there, so it's not "ball played man" - it's really not a clever thing to do in your own penalty area when someone is shooting a ball in your direction -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=9bu8XId5voI&feature=endscreen

... The ref's decisions may be "disputed" from a Hibs fan POV, but I'm not sure about worst ever decisions?

TRC
04-11-2012, 05:02 PM
David weir strangling a hibs player Murray perhaps and not even getting a booking

LaMotta
04-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Louis thow sending off any Watson and beastie mccluskey v Dundee utd in a floodlight game. Still raging about it. And snelders only getting booked for bringing down Evans to win a league cup tie!

I mind both those games, Easter Road was going mental both nights.

Always thought that refs are more likely to have a shocker during a midweek night game

thebakerboy
04-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Was the John Macdonald one where Shades ran across and banjoed him as he got up and walked straight off as ref gave him the red card. He later had the picture blown up behind the bar in his pub labelled Sport for all DIVING

Basildon Hibs
04-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Remember it well - must've been about the very late '70's early '80's. IIRC, the Hun fud was also about three yards outside the box when he dived !! :rolleyes:

thebakerboy
04-11-2012, 05:23 PM
My worst ever refereeing decision was definately when the main stand was being built . A Hibs player made a bad pass over Willie Miller's head and it was going into the building site and he jumped up to prevent ball going into building site and laid ball down for throw in , ref then gave him a red card for deliberate hand ball TUBE.

thebakerboy
04-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Also remember Gareth Evans and an opposition player getting in a tangle by the corner flag and both falling over. While bothe were sitting on the ground laughing at the incidenet and having a playful push and shove , bothe still laughing , the ref comes over and send both off. In the same vein Gazza getting booked for picking up red card dropped by ref and showing it to the ref , no sense of humour at all.

basehibby
04-11-2012, 05:34 PM
That game was ridiculous, Laursen had actually been fouled as well and that was why he was on the ground. We really should have came out and slated the ref for that but we just accepted it, unbelievable...I was and still am seething.

In another v the team that is no longer I remember boozy getting sent off for a shoulder charge with Boyd which I couldn't believe either

:agree: A Hugh Dallas special that one - as I recall it, Boyd clearly shoved Boozy over as they both were chasing the ball and then proceeded to trip over his prone body. Dallas then unbelievably red carded Boozy and effectively handed the points to Rangers.
Not only that, but Hibs appealed what observers unanimously considered to be a travesty of a red card - but the arrogant brass necked "top whistler" Dallas REFUSED to reconsider despite TV evidence clearly showing he had been wrong.

Some years later Dallas was dismissed for the forwarding of bigotted jokes about the pope through his SFA email account and you just have to wonder if his arrogance was simply a cover for being a bigotted cheat all along.

wee 162
04-11-2012, 05:42 PM
I think the Laursen one is easily the worst, IIRC he was lying on the ground and Albertz drilled the ball at his arm.

Second place goes to the time when Arthur Duncan was lying unconscious on the ground and was deemed to have played the opponents onside.

In fairness though, we have to give a mention to our "goal" against Dunfermline last season.
The Laursen one he was facing away from the ball as well! Had put in a tackle (where he was fouled and we shockingly enough never got that) and was getting up as Albertz hit the rebound which was going wide and hit his arm as he wasn't even facing the ball. Most ludicrous decision I've ever seen. Although I'd give an honourable mention to Paco Luna getting sent off for scoring against The Team That Would Die as a pretty close second to that one (header towards an open goal that may have glanced off his arm, although if that happened it was far from obvious even seeing it on tele afterwards).

soproni1
04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
In the derby when O'Connor scored the late winner did brebner no get sent off for tripping up one of those b******s on the half-way line. Remember not being too happy about it at the time

FranckSuzy
04-11-2012, 06:06 PM
My memory's shocking but I'm sure a Hibs player got sent off for 'kicking out' at the opposition player when he'd actually just stood on his own laces :rolleyes: IIRC, Hibs appealed the red card but it was upheld.

hibbybrian
04-11-2012, 06:06 PM

IIRC Arthur was flat out by the touchline at the Dunbar end and was ruled offside after the opponents cleared the ball into Hibs half and we started an attack with a pass about 10 yards into the opponents half :rolleyes:

wee 162
04-11-2012, 06:10 PM
My memory's shocking but I'm sure a Hibs player got sent off for 'kicking out' at the opposition player when he'd actually just stood on his own laces :rolleyes: IIRC, Hibs appealed the red card but it was upheld.
John O'Neil at, surprise surprise, Ibrox...

jgl07
04-11-2012, 06:20 PM
I remember that too - it was Hoggie, but at the time I thought the ref called it right against him, I felt Hoggie ran into him not the other way round, the Morton guy was first up into the air, although he never got the ball (I felt because Hoggie got him...) it could very well have gone the other way though, I guess...

- Hoggie had a sore back perhaps but I don't think he was concussed -

I recall Hogg jumping for the ball and the Morton forward smashing into him from behind. John Hughes called it an 'assault'. Iain Russell then smashed in the free kick to level the scores.

Green&White
04-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Paco luna being sent off for scoring a goal.

Sure it was dallas. Sent him off for "hand balling" it when it was a perfectly good diving header. Still amazes me to this day

FranckSuzy
04-11-2012, 06:26 PM
John O'Neil at, surprise surprise, Ibrox...

Cheers for that :aok: Not ER then but still :rolleyes: :grr:

hibs0666
04-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Paco luna being sent off for scoring a goal.

Sure it was dallas. Sent him off for "hand balling" it when it was a perfectly good diving header. Still amazes me to this day

That's mine as well, closely followed by that animal Berry's atrocious tackle on Paul Wright. That canute should have been done for assault, and I can't recall him even being booked.

tamig
04-11-2012, 06:33 PM

remember that one well. He should have been sent off and went on to play a blinder. Booed every time he came back to ER after that game.

fatbloke
04-11-2012, 06:51 PM

was that the Bobby Thomson 'incident'? Hibs won 4-0 v St J

Squealing pig
04-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Blowing for half time when crunchie was one on one with goalie. Beat defence and he blew he still ran forward and put ball in the net. It was 1-0 to hibs at the time v Falkirk at er sure it ended up 1-1.

portohibee
04-11-2012, 06:56 PM
far too many to mention, but one that sticks in my mind, Mcgregor of der hun hitting the ground rolling about and holding his face claiming deeks had hit him, deeks was nowhere near him, yet the ref decided not to book the prick for faining injury and never spoke to deeks either

KeithTheHibby
04-11-2012, 06:58 PM

Don't think Tam got sent off, pretty sure it was Ulrik. Shocking decision regardless to award a penalty then send the man off. It was againsty Defunct FC so not totally surprised.

Couple of mentions here; Ian Brines for his performance when we played Morton in the league cup a couple of years ago. A shocker of a game and allowed Chris Hogg to be assualted before awarding the free kick in Mortons favour which the scored from. I am sure Hoggy went off concussed.

Another game was the defeat to Falkirk at Easter Road under Tony Mowbray. Yogi brought his team to generally spoil the game and I am sure 3 players were sent off including a Falkirk sub. Yogi was a dick that day but nothing compared to the ref who I am pretty sure didn't ref top flight games for a while after that.

JimBHibees
04-11-2012, 06:58 PM

Yep that was the worst decision I have ever seen. Shades wanted to maim the cheat.

Saorsa
04-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Don't think Tam got sent off, pretty sure it was Ulrik. Shocking decision regardless to award a penalty then send the man off. It was againsty Defunct FC so not totally surprised.

Couple of mentions here; Ian Brines for his performance when we played Morton in the league cup a couple of years ago. A shocker of a game and allowed Chris Hogg to be assualted before awarding the free kick in Mortons favour which the scored from. I am sure Hoggy went off concussed.

Another game was the defeat to Falkirk at Easter Road under Tony Mowbray. Yogi brought his team to generally spoil the game and I am sure 3 players were sent off including a Falkirk sub. Yogi was a dick that day but nothing compared to the ref who I am pretty sure didn't ref top flight games for a while after that.McManus did get sent off as well

JimBHibees
04-11-2012, 07:05 PM
far too many to mention, but one that sticks in my mind, Mcgregor of der hun hitting the ground rolling about and holding his face claiming deeks had hit him, deeks was nowhere near him, yet the ref decided not to book the prick for faining injury and never spoke to deeks either

I think he booked both so it meant that the decision couldnt be reviewed, typical ref cop out.

hibspayne
04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Not sure if was at ER but I remember Leighton getting sent off and the ref didn't allow hibs to get a goalie top out to Jackson so free kick taken and we didn't even have a goalie between the sticks

zlatan
04-11-2012, 07:07 PM

Sent a Falkirk sub off for getting in a square go with a fan as well as Thomson (and Brown?) for bugger all. I'm sure he had an equally bad game elsewhere a few weeks later and that was his last.

StevieC
04-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Game at Pittodrie with us winning and the game going in to injury time. Ball gets punted into the box and Rough jumps to make an easy catch and gets clobbered by TWO Aberdeen players and the ball ends up in the net. As clear a foul as you would ever see and the referee gives a goal to rob us of an away win.

skipster7
04-11-2012, 07:15 PM
IIRC Arthur was flat out by the touchline at the Dunbar end and was ruled offside after the opponents cleared the ball into Hibs half and we started an attack with a pass about 10 yards into the opponents half :rolleyes:
that was the reason Bobby Thomson ran over and nutted the linesman resulting in a lenghty ban and effectivly end his Hibs career.Him and Willie Irvine had a decent partnership up till then. :agree:
I remember a game at ER Aberdeen won 5-0 mb mid 80s but the ref/linesman had a shocker, never a 5-0, think 2 pens loads of shocking calls not least ruling out a great Hibs goal at 2-0.im sure the linesman got pelted with coins most of the second half.cant remember the ref?

Billy Whizz
04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
McManus did get sent off as well

And both of them missed the Derby at Tynie which was the next game

theonlywayisup
04-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Don't know if they are the worst that I have witnessed, but I recall two examples of bad decisions.

One in a drawn derby, when (I think) Lewis Stevenson rushes in to the box to chase down a through ball, when the Hertz defender takes him out with a shoulder barge leaving the ball to run through to Gordon. No attempt to play the ball just a barge to sent Lewis tumbling to the ground. From my view in the FFL it looked like a penalty.

One from many years ago, when Mark Walters playing for the Huns rushes into the box and clearly dives in an attempt to win a penalty. The ref tells him to get up and play continues. Five minutes later Walters rushes into the box, but this time is clearly fouled by the Hibs defender. A stonewall penalty, yet the ref goes up to Walters and books him for diving. Very funny, but the wrong decision.

JimBHibees
04-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Game at Pittodrie with us winning and the game going in to injury time. Ball gets punted into the box and Rough jumps to make an easy catch and gets clobbered by TWO Aberdeen players and the ball ends up in the net. As clear a foul as you would ever see and the referee gives a goal to rob us of an away win.

Yep was at that game simply a quite appalling decision.

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2012, 07:38 PM
:agree: A Hugh Dallas special that one - as I recall it, Boyd clearly shoved Boozy over as they both were chasing the ball and then proceeded to trip over his prone body. Dallas then unbelievably red carded Boozy and effectively handed the points to Rangers.
Not only that, but Hibs appealed what observers unanimously considered to be a travesty of a red card - but the arrogant brass necked "top whistler" Dallas REFUSED to reconsider despite TV evidence clearly showing he had been wrong.

Some years later Dallas was dismissed for the forwarding of bigotted jokes about the pope through his SFA email account and you just have to wonder if his arrogance was simply a cover for being a bigotted cheat all along.

I've always suspected a Sevco bias in Mock the Week, you have just explained Dara O'Brain and Ed Byrnes real motivation for the jokes about the Catholic Church. As for that Father Ted, they'd be as well just showing aprons and pictures of the Queen, cos they aren't hiding anything with "orright der" racist humour.

Joking apart, I think refs are inherently biased towards the Old Firm, their jobs are on the line, if either of them suspects any unfairness towards them. The SFA's reluctance to deal with the Sevco problem in the summer was a great insight into the mind set of those running the game.

GoldenEagle
04-11-2012, 07:46 PM
that was the reason Bobby Thomson ran over and nutted the linesman resulting in a lenghty ban and effectivly end his Hibs career.Him and Willie Irvine had a decent partnership up till then. :agree:
I remember a game at ER Aberdeen won 5-0 mb mid 80s but the ref/linesman had a shocker, never a 5-0, think 2 pens loads of shocking calls not least ruling out a great Hibs goal at 2-0.im sure the linesman got pelted with coins most of the second half.cant remember the ref?

I was there at the Aberdeen game, IIRC amazing the ref was called Ferguson from Aberdeen..and I'm sure that I'm not making that one up.

lyonhibs
04-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Barry Ferguson when in possesion of the ball on a yellow card. Hibs midfielder - Thomson I think - closes him down/hassles him. Ferguson doesn't like this, so, taking his eye and angle of body completely off the ball, procedes to shove our guy square in the chest before regaining posession of the ball and carrying on as if nothing had happened.

Happily for him, the ref agreed :rolleyes:

KingFranck
04-11-2012, 07:49 PM
The Laursen one was defo the worst one at ER.
Can anyone back this one up or is my mind playing tricks on me ? At Ibrox Gordon Hunter gets pushed in the back by Mark Hately and he falls over Hunter can't mind if they got a free kick or a penalty and whether big Geebsie got a red card or not . Anyone able to recall this incident?

Minder
04-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Penalty - The John McDonald penalty.

Worst non red card Berry on Wright or TORTO
on Strachan.

Hibercelona
04-11-2012, 07:52 PM
There's also every single decision that Alan Freeland made in the infamous Hibs/Falkirk game. :rolleyes:

Sexton
04-11-2012, 08:02 PM
My worst ever refereeing decision was definately when the main stand was being built . A Hibs player made a bad pass over Willie Miller's head and it was going into the building site and he jumped up to prevent ball going into building site and laid ball down for throw in , ref then gave him a red card for deliberate hand ball TUBE.

I mind that. I always thought it was at East End Park.

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Penalty - The John McDonald penalty.

Worst non red card Berry on Wright or TORTO
on Strachan.

Thought Joe T got sent off for that, very unusual in a testimonial.

Broken Gnome
04-11-2012, 08:18 PM

It was. And it was in front of a fully built stand. Unless he's been sent off for catching the ball on two different occasions?

Come to think of it, Willie Miller would've been gone about 4 years before the main stand came down...

Jonnyboy
04-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Season 1967/68 when Celtc winger John 'Yogi' Hughes flew into a tackle on Hibs right back Bobby Duncan and broke Duncan's leg. Cannae mind the ref's name but the tackle went completely unpunished. Bobby was out injured for months and was never the same player after he returned

One Day Soon
04-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I was there at the Aberdeen game, IIRC amazing the ref was called Ferguson from Aberdeen..and I'm sure that I'm not making that one up.

That game was an absolute outrage. The only time I have ever genuinely wanted to wait for the referee outside afterwards to tell him to his face exactly what I thought of him. I think it ended 5-1 to Aberdeen after he chalked off a goal for us as offside that wasn't, disallowed a stonewall penalty for us, allowed a blatantly offside goal for them to stand and then awarded them a penalty for nothing. Actually I think there was a lot more than that he did to help them win but I can't now remember all the details.

He was a tall guy with weird grey/white massive hair. Still makes me angry even now and it took place around 25 years ago.

LaMotta
04-11-2012, 08:57 PM
The Laursen one was defo the worst one at ER.
Can anyone back this one up or is my mind playing tricks on me ? At Ibrox Gordon Hunter gets pushed in the back by Mark Hately and he falls over Hunter can't mind if they got a free kick or a penalty and whether big Geebsie got a red card or not . Anyone able to recall this incident?

:agree: It was outside the box....Hunter got sent off as he was the last man, despite Hately fouling him first.:brickwall

StevieT
04-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Not at Easter Road, but the worst ever must be Les Mortram at Firhill. Type it in to YouTube and watch for yourself how he got wo decisions wrong in seconds.

scoopyboy
04-11-2012, 09:15 PM

It was.

Hiber-nation
04-11-2012, 09:17 PM
I'd forgotten all about some of these, especially the assault on Roughie at Pittodrie.

Who was the ref who decided not to even speak to Balde or give a foul for elbowing Paul Fenwick square on the jaw in the box? Ref was standing a few feet away and couldn't have missed it.

scoopyboy
04-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Hibs v. Hamburg in European tie. Hibs lost 1-0 in Germany and won 2-1 at Easter Road to go out on away goals.

Referee disallowed three goals for offside. He (Turkish IIRC) later admitted he had erred as he allowed the Hamburg goalie to wear a green jersey and he got mixed up with the Hibs tops.

Three wrong calls and any one of them called right would have seen Hibs qualify.

jae
04-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Surely the worst must be Stevie Fulton being booked for being ugly.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......... Never has there been a straight red more worthy :greengrin

monktonharp
04-11-2012, 09:21 PM
the ultimate one for me must be the situation caused by that dirty little hun barsteward "DODDIE" who later became the manager of that shower of ****my barstewards from gorgie, and ultimately did us a great favour by being in charge of the team that lost the league in Dundee,together with a scottish cup final with minutes to go. however,he noised up our number 7 powerhouse Alex Edwards so much in a match at ER,that the ref sent Edwards off. It was blatantly obvious to all,except the ref that Alex "doddy"mcDonald was at it. this had a huge bearing in us failing to win the league that year,when we almost had it in our grasp.such a long time ago now, and sometimes difficult to be sensible about those things, but that's mt recollection. please confirm or call me an auld radge:hide:

Hiber-nation
04-11-2012, 09:27 PM
the ultimate one for me must be the situation caused by that dirty little hun barsteward "DODDIE" who later became the manager of that shower of ****my barstewards from gorgie, and ultimately did us a great favour by being in charge of the team that lost the league in Dundee,together with a scottish cup final with minutes to go. however,he noised up our number 7 powerhouse Alex Edwards so much in a match at ER,that the ref sent Edwards off. It was blatantly obvious to all,except the ref that Alex "doddy"mcDonald was at it. this had a huge bearing in us failing to win the league that year,when we almost had it in our grasp.such a long time ago now, and sometimes difficult to be sensible about those things, but that's mt recollection. please confirm or call me an auld radge:hide:

Aye, but was it not in the Cup? I remember that wee sheidt MacDonald having a go at Mickey all through the game. Then the wee man was on the deck after another assault that went unpunished but I think he lost it and jumped up and decked the hun bassa.

KingFranck
04-11-2012, 09:29 PM
:agree: It was outside the box....Hunter got sent off as he was the last man, despite Hately fouling him first.:brickwall

Thanks its all coming back to me ! Cheating ref nothing unusual when the Hibees were in Glasgow

PatHead
04-11-2012, 09:38 PM
The worst decision to ever go against Hibs had to be the foul by Peter McCloy against Colin Campbell in the last minute of the 1979 Cup final.

Definate penalty. If we had won that that monkey would have been off our back long ago.

Minder
04-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Thought Joe T got sent off for that, very unusual in a testimonial.

Had thought he got off. Can recall hm being booed for weeks after. If he did get red was well deserved - shocker.

Ray_
04-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Hibs v. Hamburg in European tie. Hibs lost 1-0 in Germany and won 2-1 at Easter Road to go out on away goals.

Referee disallowed three goals for offside. He (Turkish IIRC) later admitted he had erred as he allowed the Hamburg goalie to wear a green jersey and he got mixed up with the Hibs tops.

Three wrong calls and any one of them called right would have seen Hibs qualify.

:agree:

Joe Davis also had a rare pen miss. The late, great, Joe McBride only got two that night, he was to score 4 the following Saturday.

That was Jan 1969, fast forward to Jan 73, Scottish cup replay, Tommy McLean, five yards offside, goal stood, Hibs could & should have scored six that night & we went out, the first game at Ibrox was 1-1, Alan Gordon put us in front & we were in complete control, but let them in to equalise.

monktonharp
04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Aye, but was it not in the Cup? I remember that wee sheidt MacDonald having a go at Mickey all through the game. Then the wee man was on the deck after another assault that went unpunished but I think he lost it and jumped up and decked the hun bassa.pretty sure it was a league game(where's Jonny when ye want him:wink:) but thanks for confirming, my mind wanders a bit efter the boozer on Sundays:greengrin

Saorsa
04-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Surely the worst must be Stevie Fulton being booked for being ugly.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......... Never has there been a straight red more worthy :greengrinhttp://www.farmer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/steve-fulton.jpg

Looks like his face has been on fire and somebody has put it out using a golf shoe.

FranckSuzy
04-11-2012, 10:55 PM
http://www.farmer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/steve-fulton.jpg

Looks like his face has been on fire and somebody has put it out with a golf shoe.

:faf:

Sir David Gray
04-11-2012, 11:36 PM
http://www.farmer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/steve-fulton.jpg

Looks like his face has been on fire and somebody has put it out using a golf shoe.

:bitchy:

I thought this was a family board!

No way that should have been posted without a warning.

Just_Jimmy
05-11-2012, 03:30 AM

That laursen one was the first one that came to my mind. Boxing day 2001. Mcmanus slapped the ref.

hongkonghibee
05-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Numerous refs not finding a reason to send Zibbi off in derbies.

Neil Lennon, on a booking already, squaring up to Scott Brown, and the ref booked brown and did nowt to Lennon.

Its got to be the Alan Freeland game Hibs vs Falkirk for me too. He completely lost control of the game.So many wrong decisions for both teams, and he seemed to book everyone! Was this the same game where he booked the same player twice without sending him off?

JimBHibees
05-11-2012, 09:35 AM
That game was an absolute outrage. The only time I have ever genuinely wanted to wait for the referee outside afterwards to tell him to his face exactly what I thought of him. I think it ended 5-1 to Aberdeen after he chalked off a goal for us as offside that wasn't, disallowed a stonewall penalty for us, allowed a blatantly offside goal for them to stand and then awarded them a penalty for nothing. Actually I think there was a lot more than that he did to help them win but I can't now remember all the details.

He was a tall guy with weird grey/white massive hair. Still makes me angry even now and it took place around 25 years ago.

Think you are getting games mixed up. The last minute blatant foul on Roughie stopped Hibs winning at Pittodrie in a year Aberdeen won the league, can vaguely remember they did a walk round with trophy before the game though might be getting mixed up. Hibs were 2-1 going into the last minute and Roughie was clearly barged and the ref gave the goal.

The 5-0 Hibs Aberdeen game was at ER and the fans were going nuts as Aberdeen seemed to get a string of decisions for them. I think there had been trouble before the game and the atmosphere was a little spicy because of it.

JimBHibees
05-11-2012, 09:37 AM
I'd forgotten all about some of these, especially the assault on Roughie at Pittodrie.

Who was the ref who decided not to even speak to Balde or give a foul for elbowing Paul Fenwick square on the jaw in the box? Ref was standing a few feet away and couldn't have missed it.

Pretty sure that was Freeland, Hibs were 1 up and he saw it and chose to ignore it as you say.

05-11-2012, 09:37 AM

Brines is an incompetent clown. I've lost count of the number of ridiculous decisions he has made over the years.

Argylehibby
05-11-2012, 10:58 AM

It was :agree:

Stevie Reid
05-11-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm waiting for Sunday before coming up with my answer...

LeighLoyal
05-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Brebner's red card from Dougal vs Hertz when the carer boy set about Dougal at half-time. Another ref who came in on the Hertz bus like Thomson.