PDA

View Full Version : Ben Williams ... goalkeeping solution

jon paul jones
04-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Sparky may be banging in the goals for us at the moment but Ben Williams is proving to be one of the best shot stoppers hibs have had this side of the millenium. I've lost count of the number of games this season when he's kept us level in a game with some excellent work giving Hibs momentum to go on and win the game.

Very important player for Hibs at the moment

Golden Bear
04-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Sparky may be banging in the goals for us at the moment but Ben Williams is proving to be one of the best shot stoppers hibs have had this side of the millenium. I've lost count of the number of games this season when he's kept us level in a game with some excellent work giving Hibs momentum to go on and win the game.

:agree:

Man of the match yesterday imo despite Leigh's goalscoring exploits. Williams kept us in the game early on with two stunning saves.

eebsie
04-11-2012, 08:55 AM
He is pretty decent. I'm not a huge fan of punching crosses clear but yesterday it all came off for him!

Also seemed to be having a fair bit of "banter" with the away support!

gackohibs
04-11-2012, 09:34 AM

agreed. However....

he has had a few "zibiesque" moments this year. Ross Countys 2nd goal comes to mind...

Great shot stopper tho!

matty_f
04-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Accepting that he has faults, I would still put him above most keepers I've seen this season. I think he's a cracking keeper.

Golden Bear
04-11-2012, 09:39 AM
agreed. However....

he has had a few "zibiesque" moments this year. Ross Countys 2nd goal comes to mind...

Great shot stopper tho!

If you asked any fan of any club they could come up with something similar. The perfect goalkeeper who plays perfectly in ever game is a mythical creature.

Williams is a class act and we should concentrate on the positives.

kentao
04-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Big Bens the best keeper i have seen at Easter Road since Leighton. A Keeper who fills the fans and team-mates with confidence. He does make mistakes but what keeper doesn't its a thankless position but the big mans doing a great job.

Pretty Boy
04-11-2012, 10:01 AM
With our budget and the league we play in we are never going to get a keeper who is perfect.

Williams is doing okay, few silly mistakes but a lot more big saves that have made sure we pick up points.

Compared to the likes of Smith, Zibi, Maka, Simon Brown et al I'm delighted with our goalkeeper.

steakbake
04-11-2012, 10:09 AM
With our budget and the league we play in we are never going to get a keeper who is perfect.

De Gea, Cech and Harte have never made any mistakes or misjudgements?

Don't think it has anything to do with budget etc. All keepers make mistakes - its the nature of the roll. So far, I wouldn't say that he's been solely responsible for us dropping points. You can't say the same about many of the keepers who've pulled on the jersey at ER.

For all the mistakes a good keeper makes, he'll make up for in making those vital saves. Folk remember the howlers more easily than they remember the heroics.

LancashireHibby
04-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Great shot stopper and kept us in the game yesterday. He certainly made far less mistakes than has maybe been the case recently so hopefully he's learning from those errors and cutting them out from his game.

blackpoolhibs
04-11-2012, 10:45 AM
He's made some of the best save i have seen a Hibs keeper make, but he has had some real shockers when gifting the opposition goals.

If he can stop that he will do for me. That save in the first half was fantastic, and the one at the end good too. He does make them look so easy, keep it up ben. :thumbsup:

Northernhibee
04-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Pat's best signing by a mile.

whiskyhibby
04-11-2012, 05:18 PM
He's made some of the best save i have seen a Hibs keeper make, but he has had some real shockers when gifting the opposition goals.

If he can stop that he will do for me. That save in the first half was fantastic, and the one at the end good too. He does make them look so easy, keep it up ben. :thumbsup:

Couldnt agree more, had another fine game yesterday with some crucial stops

Hibercelona
04-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Pat's best signing by a mile.

I would say "Paul Cairney", but Ben Williams is a very strong second, followed by Mcpake (who seems to have lost his way a bit lately. But i'm confident he'll bounce back)

Sir David Gray
04-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Very safe pair of hands, quite happy with him being in goal for us.

Compared with some of the bombscares who have preceded him in recent years, this guy seems like Buffon, Casillas and Cech all rolled in to one.

basehibby
04-11-2012, 05:52 PM
:agree:

Man of the match yesterday imo despite Leigh's goalscoring exploits. Williams kept us in the game early on with two stunning saves.

:agree: He was certainly not far off the MOM award - a series of brilliant saves from Williams was the other element along with Sparky's goals which were crucial to our victory. Not for the first time either - an excellent signing :top marks

wheniwas5
04-11-2012, 05:55 PM
thought he was great yesterday as well and couldnt work out how he only got a 6 in the sun:confused:
dont think they are at the games

iwasthere1972
04-11-2012, 08:38 PM
One of the main reasons we are doing so well. What a difference compared to what we've had the past few seasons. We'll done Big Ben.

nonshinyfinish
04-11-2012, 08:46 PM
thought he was great yesterday as well and couldnt work out how he only got a 6 in the sun:confused:

Don't buy it. Don't read it.

Problem solved.

Vini1875
04-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm happy if Big Ben is only appreciated by the Hibs support. No doubt the boy is head and shoulders above all of the keepers we have had in recent years. I for one am delighted with what he has brought to the team. he has saved us a lot of points so far.

hibby19
04-11-2012, 09:01 PM
His shot stopping is different class, unbelievably quick reactions which is exactly what you want in a keeper. However, I still keich myself every time he leaves his line for a cross! Just wish he would at least attempt to catch and not make limp attempts at a punch

MagicSwirlingShip
04-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Our most reliable keeper since Daniel Andersson IMO, and might be better. Great signing!

scoopyboy
05-11-2012, 05:48 AM

That's Robert Martin for you.

He stated more than once that Hibs kept the same team that won at Fir Park.

Stevie Reid
05-11-2012, 08:42 AM
I am hypercritical of goalkeepers but am delighted with Williams - yes he has cost us goals this season, but many have been goals that many goalkeepers lose quite commonly, and he has saved us and genuinely won us points on many occasions this year.

The most important thing for me is that the back four obviously have absolute faith in him, and that is by far the biggest difference between him and very goalkeeper we have had since Andersson.